PDA

View Full Version : Ivy League - Week 4

YaleFootballFan
October 1st, 2007, 11:06 PM
Welcome to Week 4!

The Ivy games:

Dartmouth (1-2, 1-0 Ivy) at #18 Yale (3-0, 1-0 Ivy)
Harvard (1-2, 1-0 Ivy) at Cornell (2-1, 0-1 Ivy)

The non-conference games:

#21 Hampton (3-1) at Princeton (2-1)
Georgetown (0-5) at Pennsylvania (0-3)
Holy Cross (2-2) at Brown (1-2)
Columbia (1-2) at Lafayette (3-1)

Green26
October 2nd, 2007, 09:39 AM
Watch out Yale. Here comes the Big Green.

ngineer
October 2nd, 2007, 10:19 AM
The Hampton/Princeton game could be a good measuring stick on comparative strengths...That's the most interesting game IMO this week.xnodx

YaleFootballFan
October 2nd, 2007, 01:54 PM
The Hampton/Princeton game could be a good measuring stick on comparative strengths...That's the most interesting game IMO this week.xnodx

I thought 0-5 Georgetown vs. 0-3 Penn was. xlolx :D

bulldog10jw
October 2nd, 2007, 01:56 PM
Watch out Yale. Here comes the Big Green.

I like the way Yale is playing and I think they should win, but Dartmouth is ALWAYS a tough game for Yale.

carney2
October 2nd, 2007, 02:15 PM
Dartmouth (1-2, 1-0 Ivy) at #18 Yale (3-0, 1-0 Ivy) The Indians have had their "moment."

Harvard (1-2, 1-0 Ivy) at Cornell (2-1, 0-1 Ivy) The Johns look like a good team, but just don't get it done. I'm betting this is the week.

#21 Hampton (3-1) at Princeton (2-1) Hampton in the Top 25 is an annual joke that produces its punch line each November in the FCS Playoffs. The chuckles begin early this year.

Georgetown (0-5) at Pennsylvania (0-3) It's hard to believe that the Quackers are winless. It's equally hard to believe that this will not be a rout.

Holy Cross (2-2) at Brown (1-2) It's the Bruins' turn to cope with Air Randolph. Bombs away!

Columbia (1-2) at Lafayette (3-1) The Lyings are the only Ivy that the Ancient 8's Maroon pinata historically beats. Even though the home team has no offense, tradition is served.

YaleFootballFan
October 2nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
I like the way Yale is playing and I think they should win, but Dartmouth is ALWAYS a tough game for Yale.

You said it. Remember when we lost 9 straight to the Green in the '90s?

Dartmouth is an improved team from last year, but I expect Yale to win Saturday. The Green's win over Penn last week was very impressive.

brownbear
October 2nd, 2007, 02:36 PM
Yale looks really strong right now. I'm worried about our game with you all in a couple of weeks and hope you don't score 60 on us.

bulldog10jw
October 2nd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Yale looks really strong right now. I'm worried about our game with you all in a couple of weeks and hope you don't score 60 on us.

I remember a few years ago (2004, maybe?) scoring 44 on you guys. It wasn't enough.

brownbear
October 2nd, 2007, 03:24 PM
I remember a few years ago (2004, maybe?) scoring 44 on you guys. It wasn't enough.

It was 2003, 55-44 Brown. The last time Yale scored over 50 on us was back in 1972, 53-19, and that's the most you've ever scored on us. I was just thinking after our game against URI (defense gives up 49), and your game against Cornell (51 points), it was easily possible for you score more on us. However, the URI game did make me feel very confident in our offense!

hc12
October 2nd, 2007, 05:56 PM
Welcome to Week 4!

The Ivy games:

Dartmouth (1-2, 1-0 Ivy) at #18 Yale (3-0, 1-0 Ivy)
Harvard (1-2, 1-0 Ivy) at Cornell (2-1, 0-1 Ivy)

#21 Hampton (3-1) at Princeton (2-1)
Georgetown (0-5) at Pennsylvania (0-3)
Holy Cross (2-2) at Brown (1-2)
Columbia (1-2) at Lafayette (3-1)

yale will crush a big green machine that is turning their program around=yale37 big green17
harvard24 cornell21
hampton is rank#21,princeton is a mind boggling team=hampton27princenton14
0-5gu vs.0-3 penn=penn14gu10
pards27columbia21
hcneeds to fine some defense and gilmore is pulling his hair out being an old d linemen,maybe he suits up for this one.brown has a good running game but there d has a alot of holes,and they will drop 8 men back and hopefully air randolph throws 0 int.hc35 brown27.:) :)

crusader11
October 2nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
hc12, i agree with your analysis, but don't be afraid to hit the space bar once in a while. it is a challenge at times to read through your posts.

brownbear
October 2nd, 2007, 07:49 PM
Here are my picks:

Holy Cross will probably beat Brown, I predict 38-31, neither team has much defense.

Hampton should beat a weaker than normal Princeton team, Hampton by 7.

Even though Penn is winless, they look much better than G'town. Quakers by 10.

Lafayette beats Columbia by 14, should not be close.

Harvard beats Cornell by 4.

Yale beats Dartmouth by 10.

YaleFootballFan
October 2nd, 2007, 08:19 PM
It was 2003, 55-44 Brown.

That was one of the wildest games I've ever seen at the Bowl. Talk about back and forth. Both teams had over 500 yards total offense that day.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 2nd, 2007, 08:30 PM
It was 2003, 55-44 Brown. The last time Yale scored over 50 on us was back in 1972, 53-19, and that's the most you've ever scored on us. I was just thinking after our game against URI (defense gives up 49), and your game against Cornell (51 points), it was easily possible for you score more on us. However, the URI game did make me feel very confident in our offense!

I still remember watching the Brown-Penn game in 1998, Brown won 58-51. That was one of the wildest games i've ever seen.

Ivytalk
October 2nd, 2007, 09:32 PM
Yale by 15+ over Dirt-mouth
Harvard over Cornell by 7
Princeton over Hampton by 5 (upset special for the tea-sippers from NJ)
Holy Cross over Brown by 3
Lafayette over Columbia by 9
Penn over G-Town by 12

TheValleyRaider
October 2nd, 2007, 10:20 PM
Dartmouth at Yale Yale I've had Yale ranked all year, and see no reason to change that so far

Harvard at Cornell Cornell Big Red in Ithaca is a whole different beast than on the road. Add that to Harvard not looking so great in the early going, and I'll pick Cornell (still rooting for Harvard though xthumbsupx )

Hampton at Princeton Princeton Tigers make a statement to the rest of the country about Ivy League strength

Georgetown at Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Neither side has looked great so far, but I have a hard time going with the Hoyas in Franklin Field. Penn only because it's a home game

Holy Cross at Brown Holy Cross The Cross looks to make a better case for their challenge of the Patriot League crown by beating a middle-of-the-road Ivy

Columbia at Lafayette Lafayette When in doubt, go with history. I'm not really in doubt, but history backs me up here. This Leopard team doesn't seem the type to lose to the only Ivy they can consistantly beat

R.A.
October 2nd, 2007, 10:53 PM

xnodx

Aside from this being a post season statement game for Hampton and an Ivy League Statement game for Princeton, this is a huge measuring stick game for the Ivy League... are they ready for the playoffs or not.

My eye has been on it since it was scheduled.xthumbsupx

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 2nd, 2007, 11:09 PM
xnodx

Aside from this being a post season statement game for Hampton and an Ivy League Statement game for Princeton, this is a huge measuring stick game for the Ivy League... are they ready for the playoffs or not.

My eye has been on it since it was scheduled.xthumbsupx

I wish Hampton was playing Yale. In fact i'd like to see Yale play a team like Delaware or JMU this year. I think they're that good. Princeton is a solid team but they're not the most athletic bunch. I think they'll have trouble handling Hampton's speed. Princeton is a Top 40 team this year but not Top 25 IMO. Despite my belief that Hampton is generally overrated i think the Pirates will win. If these two played last year much different outcome.

bulldog10jw
October 2nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
It is WAY too early to be giving Yale all these props. They have only played 3 games and looked pretty ordinary in one of them. Let's see where they are after Dartmouth, who has improved greatly over last year, Lehigh, who is always tough, and Penn, who they haven't defeated in Philly since 2000.

Go Lehigh TU owl
October 2nd, 2007, 11:25 PM
It is WAY too early to be giving Yale all these props. They have only played 3 games and looked pretty ordinary in one of them. Let's see where they are after Dartmouth, who has improved greatly over last year, Lehigh, who is always tough, and Penn, who they haven't defeated in Philly since 2000.

I might be a bit biased, xlolx , but i do believe Lehigh will be Yale's toughest test. They gave the Eli all they could handle last year and both teams are improved, Yale a bit more to this point. Lehigh's D will atleast make Yale work but i'm not sure about Lehigh's offense. Either way i'm greatly looking forward to that game. I think it will be a great mid season measuring stick for both teams that thankfully doesn't have conference implications for either team. With that said it's all about Fordham, which is a very big conference game!!
xnodx

R.A.
October 2nd, 2007, 11:34 PM
I wish Hampton was playing Yale. In fact i'd like to see Yale play a team like Delaware or JMU this year. I think they're that good. Princeton is a solid team but they're not the most athletic bunch. I think they'll have trouble handling Hampton's speed. Princeton is a Top 40 team this year but not Top 25 IMO. Despite my belief that Hampton is generally overrated i think the Pirates will win. If these two played last year much different outcome.

I'd still put last year's Hampton Team over last year's Princeton Team.

bonarae
October 3rd, 2007, 04:27 AM
My take:

Yale 31-Dartmouth 10
Cornell 24- Harvard 21 (should be close)
Hampton 40-Princeton 24 (upset is a distant possibility here, remember Princeton received votes at some point this year, where Hampton was then ranked in the middle of the top 25)
Holy Cross 35-Brown 28 (should also be close as well, but with HC winning in the end)
Lafayette 35-Columbia 17
Penn 28-Georgetown 13

bulldog10jw
October 3rd, 2007, 04:50 PM
The Odds:

Yale -24 vs Dartmouth
Penn -21 vs Georgetown
Brown +7.5 vs Holy Cross
Harvard -3 vs Cornell
Princeton -4 vs Hampton
Columbia +13 vs Lafayette

The Yale line is crazy. Maybe Penn also.

brownbear
October 3rd, 2007, 08:44 PM
The Odds:

Yale -24 vs Dartmouth
Penn -21 vs Georgetown
Brown +7.5 vs Holy Cross
Harvard -3 vs Cornell
Princeton -4 vs Hampton
Columbia +13 vs Lafayette

The Yale line is crazy. Maybe Penn also.

For Penn being 0-3, that line is crazy.

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 3rd, 2007, 10:33 PM
For what a CAA fan's opinion is worth:

The Ivy games:

Dartmouth (1-2, 1-0 Ivy) at #18 Yale (3-0, 1-0 Ivy) Yale 31-28 in a much closer than anticipated heart breaker for the Big Green

Harvard (1-2, 1-0 Ivy) at Cornell (2-1, 0-1 Ivy) Harvard rights the ship 28-14.

#21 Hampton (3-1) at Princeton (2-1) Pirates 35-34 in a classic

Georgetown (0-5) at Pennsylvania (0-3) UPenn 45-7 as GU heads towards 1-10

Holy Cross (2-2) at Brown (1-2) Estes gets the bears ready and pulls the upset by final of 27-24

Columbia (1-2) at Lafayette (3-1) Leopards 35-21.

TexasTerror
October 6th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Yale really came to play today...

Definitely lent credibility to their ranking (I have them even higher then #18).

Great job, Yale!

YaleFootballFan
October 6th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Yale really came to play today...

Definitely lent credibility to their ranking (I have them even higher then #18).

Great job, Yale!

Yale came to play alright. Dartmouth didn't. Too many mistakes by the Green made today's game a blowout (50-10).

I'll have to check when was the last time Yale scored 50+ points in back-to-back Ivy League games. It's probably been a while.

Dane96
October 6th, 2007, 04:51 PM
And this is why I keep ranking Yale high. It isnt that they are winning, it is that they are DESTROYING teams, but for the opener (expected nonetheless).

Yale plays Georgetown today...they win by 50+

bulldog10jw
October 6th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Yale came to play alright. Dartmouth didn't. Too many mistakes by the Green made today's game a blowout (50-10).

I'll have to check when was the last time Yale scored 50+ points in back-to-back Ivy League games. It's probably been a while.

I'm not sure it ever happened, even with the Dowling teams.

brownbear
October 6th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Yale looks like a Top 10 team in the FCS this year, I am very worried about our game in four weeks with them.

Yale's big offense + our horrible defense = ugly

Our team may have to score 50, which I don't see us doing against Yale

G.S.Green
October 8th, 2007, 07:08 AM

You were correct with the measuring stick comment. HU failed to get it done in all facets of the first half but, fortunately for us all, there are two halfs to play. See you again in 2011.

G.S.Green

G.S.Green
October 8th, 2007, 07:10 AM
Yale by 15+ over Dirt-mouth
Harvard over Cornell by 7
Princeton over Hampton by 5 (upset special for the tea-sippers from NJ)
Holy Cross over Brown by 3
Lafayette over Columbia by 9
Penn over G-Town by 12

Not quite the upset you predicted. Maybe in 2011.

G.S.Green