PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky power rankings-Week 5

JALMOND
October 1st, 2007, 08:40 PM
One of my favorite lines from the late Benny Parsons when he would be broadcasting a NASCAR race from Daytona or Talladega was "It looks like their heading for a great big wreck". Well, the Big Sky had a great big wreck on Saturday with both Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona, looking like big giant killers this year, both got knocked down. With that, here are the power rankings for this week. Once again, these are just my opinions and all are open for discussion...This week (last week)

1. Montana (1)---The Griz almost got caught up in the big wreck as well, having to come from behind in the fourth quarter to beat that strong Weber State defense. Maybe a good thing that the Wildcats do not have an offense yet as the Griz offense was stymied most of the afternoon. Still, a true champion finds a way to win and the Griz got the W. This week, a strong opponent in Eastern Washington, who is not afraid of the Wash-Griz mistique.

2. Montana State (2)---It looked a little bleak for the Cats to begin, but the offense then found its spark and got rolling against Idaho State. The wreck behind them has made the Cats the main runner-up to the Griz, and with the Griz struggles last week, the Cats may have gained some ground. This week, a venture outside the conference, homecoming against Great West foe Southern Utah.

3. Portland State (5)---Well, when the dust settles, look who has made it back to third. The Vikings, with an impressive conference road win against Eastern Washington, have moved back up into the third spot. The defense held the Eagles strong offensive attack just enough for the sputtering offense to get the win. This week, a return home date with Northern Arizona. Can that offense keep it going?

4. Sacramento State (7)---Shocking maybe as these are still the same Hornets that are usually scraping the bottom of the conference. But a big home win against Northern Arizona has propelled them close to the upper eschelon. The Hornets are playing well on both sides of the ball and are just winning. This week, a trip to Ogden to face that Weber State defense. Can the Hornets continue to soar, or will this week bring them back to the ground.

5. Northern Arizona (3)---So what happened here? The highly vaunted Jacks don't even bother to show up for their game against Sacramento State and the result was ugly. To say nothing went right would be a big understatement. Jacks can't win in Sacramento, this week they go to Portland to play Portland State. Can they win there?

6. Eastern Washington (4)---Late game heroics almost caused the Eagles to pull out a victory over Portland State, but to no avail. The first 3-0 start since 1997 had some believing the Eagles could make some noise in the conference this year. Then, they let the game slip through their fingers. Their reward? A trip to Missoula to face the Grizzlies this week.

7. Weber State (6)---What to say about that Wildcat defense. A week ago, it held that Montana State offense to one touchdown. This week, that strong Montana offense only got to the end zone once as well. You keep those explosive offenses to only one touchdown you should win, right? Well, it would help if the Wildcats had an offense. This week, that upstart Sacramento State team comes to the Wildcat lair. The defense will, no doubt, keep the team in the game. Can the offense win it?

8. Idaho State (8)---For a quarter, it seemed like the Bengals had Montana State on the ropes. For a quarter. Then, someone woke the Cat offense up and the rest was history. Bengals continue to struggle, but the first quarter offers up a little hope. This week, maybe more hope as Northern Colorado comes to town for homecoming. A little confidence, maybe?

9. Northern Colorado (9)---A silver lining in this season of doom for the Bears, they scored 21 points against Cal Poly. Problem is, that defense allowed the Mustangs to get 56 and pretty much, the game was over early in the third quarter. Probably their best shot at a win comes this weekend on the road against Idaho State. Another silver lining, this is the last game of a four game road streak, and five of the season's first six games away from Greeley.

Sacramento State looking very strong and Portland State might have found the answers to that run and shoot offense. Both teams left Northern Arizona and Eastern Washington scratching their heads, wondering what happened. One thing of note, that Weber defense is looking really strong. What will happen when the Weber offense starts clicking.

CrazyCat
October 1st, 2007, 10:16 PM
Good job Jalmond .xthumbsupx

already123
October 1st, 2007, 10:53 PM
great list....I would say that Sac is a bit high, but they cant be ranked lower than NAU at this point, so I would say that you have a pretty accurate list. Im disgusted in NAUs performace (of lack there of) against SAC. Congrats to Sac St. on a great win.....hopefully Kriesien will be back this week. the Jacks need him

ncbears
October 1st, 2007, 11:17 PM
great list....I would say that Sac is a bit high, but they cant be ranked lower than NAU at this point, so I would say that you have a pretty accurate list. Im disgusted in NAUs performace (of lack there of) against SAC. Congrats to Sac St. on a great win.....hopefully Kriesien will be back this week. the Jacks need him

Did Kriesien play against SAC? What happened to him?

appfan2008
October 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
what happened to nau? they looked awful good in boone a few weeks ago

Green Cookie Monster
October 2nd, 2007, 08:21 AM
Did Kriesien play against SAC? What happened to him?

He was injured and played until halftime.

SactoHornetFan
October 2nd, 2007, 10:37 AM
I don't have the time to write mine out...possible I will come back to it later, but here are my power rankings:

1) MSU
2) UM
3) PSU
4) SAC
5) EWU
6) NAU
7) WSU
8) ISU
9) UNC

putter
October 2nd, 2007, 11:03 AM
Great analysis. The Weber D is good but Montana moved up and down the field. They just had too many penalties in the red-zone and only scored 1 TD in 5 tries. It can be a toss-up between UM and MSU for how well both teams are playing.

already123
October 2nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
Kriesien was injured the entire game, but they finally pulled him after the 1st half. You could tell by the way he was running...he usually doesnt get tackled by the first defender

putter
October 2nd, 2007, 01:44 PM
what happened to nau? they looked awful good in boone a few weeks ago

I think it was one of those, anything can happen in conference, kind of games. Definite shocker to see that large of a margin. xeekx

griz_fan_in_SanDiego
October 2nd, 2007, 02:43 PM
List looks great to me...I though for sure the Cats were gonna be hammered the way they were playing at first but they managed to get going