PDA

View Full Version : Portland State: Back in it?

AggieFinn
October 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM
After showing some heart and coming back against a very good Sacramento State defense, the PSU Viks overcame some 1st half blunders to beat EWU with a great second half. Portland State also held the potent EWU attack to 21 points in Cheney. Now 2-0 in Big Sky play, the Viks are on top...for now.

Will this last?

Has the run-and-shoot finally starting to sink in?

Or is this simply a good run of luck?

Thoughts?

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics5/400/BC/BCYGXGADMPNXJBX.20070913205259.jpg

putter
October 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM
Any time you have a new scheme it can take time but PSU looks like they are coming together. They need to continue to win and finish in the top 2 of the conference to have a shot at getting in the playoffs.

Casey_Orourke
October 1st, 2007, 10:06 PM
Any time you have a new scheme it can take time but PSU looks like they are coming together. They need to continue to win and finish in the top 2 of the conference to have a shot at getting in the playoffs.

The team seems to adapted to the new philosophies, but there is still a long season ahead of us. I just want to take it one game at a time and show steady improvement and any wins are gravy.

JALMOND
October 1st, 2007, 11:30 PM
Good points, Finn, but I think you missed a big one. White does have a cannon for an arm and there are still some good receivers for him to throw to. The defensive personnel is mostly still the same as last year's stingy D that was hard to score against. What we've done these last two games is cutting on the number of sacks because White was getting flat out killed in the pocket. White has actually shown to be pretty nimble, I don't know if it was due to desperation or what. But we could not continue giving up 10 sacks a game. You basically cannot run any offense with the opposing defense living in your backfield.

Last two games we gave up four sacks to San Diego State and only one to EWU. As a result we got the win at Cheney and the offense actually looked pretty good in San Diego. We get the win this week, and we are back alone on top of the Big Sky going into the bye week. Being a former pro coach, Glanville looks at the nonconference games as exhibition and the conference schedule as the regular season. Makes sense, you can lose all your nonconference games, but if you win all your conference games, you'll go to the playoffs and that is not something that is left up to a committee.

appfan2008
October 2nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
we will see i think that they will continue to improve but wont be very good until next year

already123
October 2nd, 2007, 11:44 AM
PSU continues to get better each week, this is more than we can say about most teams. PSU now has a good team