PDA

View Full Version : San Diego unanimous No. 1 in Mid-Major poll

aceinthehole
October 1st, 2007, 01:36 PM
What a joke of a poll! xoopsx

Philadelphia (Sports Network) - San Diego used a 56-9 victory over Butler to get the voters attention and earn unanimous support as the No. 1 ranked team in The Sports Network FCS Mid-Major poll.

The Toreros (4-0) received all 28 first-place votes after beating the previously unbeaten Bulldogs on the road to open Pioneer Football League play. San Diego earned 21 first-place votes the previous week. Butler dropped from No. 6 to No. 9 with the loss.

Drake remained No. 2 after stopping Valparaiso 48-20 in another PFL opener.

A 42-35 loss to Morehead State didn't cost Dayton in the poll. The Flyers remained No. 3 despite the wild loss that cost them an undefeated record after four wins to open the season. xrolleyesx

Previously unranked, Morehead State used the win to jump into the poll for the first time this season at No. 6. xwhistlex

Central Connecticut State had a bye, but moved up one spot to fourth while Robert Morris fell from fourth to fifth with a 40-13 loss to VMI.

Albany, which has played one of the toughest schedules in the country among mid-major teams, had an off week and stayed at No. 7.

Iona improved to 4-1 with a 30-10 victory over Stonehill and climbed from ninth to eighth in the poll. xnonono2x

Stony Brook fell from eighth to 10th despite nearly upsetting Hofstra, the No. 12 team in The Sports Network FCS Top-25 poll. xnonox Hofstra held on to beat Stony Brook 33-28.

The Sports Network FCS Mid-Major Top 10 poll includes the 20 programs of the MAAC, NEC, and Pioneer Leagues, which play at a non-scholarship or limited scholarship level. An updated poll, which is based on the votes of selected media members and FCS mid-major Sports Information Directors, is announced each Monday during the regular season.

downbythebeach
October 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM
there's like 20 teams they consider

danefan
October 1st, 2007, 01:59 PM
why bother even reading and posting about it? We UAlbany fans stopped discussing it after we got ranked in the real top 25. Worthless poll and no point in continuing to recognize its existence.

touchdown
October 1st, 2007, 05:49 PM
San Diego vs. Albany in the gridiron classic would be better then some first round fcs playoff games!

GOTOREROS
October 1st, 2007, 07:29 PM
why bother even reading and posting about it? We UAlbany fans stopped discussing it after we got ranked in the real top 25. Worthless poll and no point in continuing to recognize its existence.

Yes - that's why we USD fans look at the AGS poll more than the MMP....xthumbsupx

After being ranked so high last year - anything less is disappointing...xnodx

Jiggs
October 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM
Isn't mid-major a basketball term?

EmeryZach
October 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Didn't even know this existed

GOTOREROS
October 1st, 2007, 07:40 PM
There isn't really a "Mid-Major" championship. It is something made-up for non-schoalrship teams in the past by the media.

I beelive that you are either FCS or not - so to me the "Mid-Major" title is stupid and meaniingless.

That's why I include it in my signature line as a joke to all about USD having "national championships"....

danefan
October 1st, 2007, 07:53 PM
I'd love to see an Albany-San Diego game. It would be a good one. Tough for Albany though, especially in San Diego. We always have trouble with mobile QB's and Johnson is probably the best this level has seen in some time.

Now if you guys had to come to cold Albany it would be a different story. Ask any Duquense fan what its like to run a west coast offense in Albany in November. Tough.

GOTOREROS
October 1st, 2007, 08:05 PM
I'd love to see an Albany-San Diego game. It would be a good one. Tough for Albany though, especially in San Diego. We always have trouble with mobile QB's and Johnson is probably the best this level has seen in some time.

Now if you guys had to come to cold Albany it would be a different story. Ask any Duquense fan what its like to run a west coast offense in Albany in November. Tough.

No thank you. Don't think we would fare as well in your December weather. We could probably still move the ball, but no crazy scores for us I would imagine....

DetroitFlyer
October 1st, 2007, 08:10 PM
That west coast offense worked OK in New Jersey last year as I recall....

USD has a great shot at being 11-0 come playoff selection time.... I think it will be very hard to keep an 11-0 USD out of the playoffs....

danefan
October 1st, 2007, 08:16 PM

I agree, but anyone from the Northeast can confirm this....Albany is much much different weather than the Jersey shore (monmouth) in December. About 20 degrees colder and winds about 15mph stronger.

And it will be interesting come playoff time if San Diego is 11-0.

DetroitFlyer
October 1st, 2007, 08:23 PM
If we are going to keep this Gridiron Classic going, (looking very doubtful), we should find a nice, warm neutral site for the game.... I hear that Hawaii is nice in early December....

Poly Pigskin
October 1st, 2007, 08:38 PM
USD has a great shot at being 11-0 come playoff selection time.... I think it will be very hard to keep an 11-0 USD out of the playoffs....

I would give them a decent shot at 11-0, but not great. They'll have to win in Davis, which they weren't able to do a season ago. The way the Ags have been playing so far, there's a chance that their consecutive winning seasons streak could be on the line again, and that's all the motivation they'll need. The game should be competitive but I would expect UCD to win again, and I don't think there's any way USD gets into the playoffs at 10-1.

Dane96
October 1st, 2007, 10:17 PM
I agree, but anyone from the Northeast can confirm this....Albany is much much different weather than the Jersey shore (monmouth) in December. About 20 degrees colder and winds about 15mph stronger.

And it will be interesting come playoff time if San Diego is 11-0.

Ahhh...the Hudson Dip Drip-- It actually has a name. Albany can be balmy (rare), or most likely for this game...about 15-25 degrees...with gale force winds and snow and/or a rock hard field. We used to call the practice fields (flag football was played there) the mini-Frozen Tundra.

I actually chipped my kneecap going knee to ground in November.

Cap'n Cat
October 1st, 2007, 10:19 PM
This Mid-Major ***** is like the Black National Championship. It exists in the deluded minds of the very few.

xcoffeex

Eyes of Old Main
October 1st, 2007, 10:59 PM
This Mid-Major ***** is like the Black National Championship. It exists in the deluded minds of the very few.

xcoffeex

Hit the nail on the head, Cap'n. xbowx

blur2005
October 2nd, 2007, 12:16 AM

The way things are going this year, it's more likely there will be five CAA teams than San Diego.

danefan
October 2nd, 2007, 08:20 AM

xcoffeex

xthumbsupx xnodx xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx

The Tank
October 2nd, 2007, 10:51 AM

IIRC, that was supposed to be the reason USD wouldn't win against Monmouth last year! xlolx The winds were 30+ mph that day.

The USD offense will put up a lot of points on anyone in the country, they are better this year than last. There is no question USD is a top 15 team, but I think our run defense could be exploited by some of the better power running teams.

Dane96
October 2nd, 2007, 12:10 PM
IIRC, that was supposed to be the reason USD wouldn't win against Monmouth last year! xlolx The winds were 30+ mph that day.

The USD offense will put up a lot of points on anyone in the country, they are better this year than last. There is no question USD is a top 15 team, but I think our run defense could be exploited by some of the better power running teams.

Ummm..nope...not at all. We said if ALBANY was in it...USD may have issues. And, try spending at day in Albany's winter...and you would understand. One of the harshest environments you will find.

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
Ummm..nope...not at all. We said if ALBANY was in it...USD may have issues. And, try spending at day in Albany's winter...and you would understand. One of the harshest environments you will find.

No thank you. I lived in harsher climates than Albany, and there is no way I would want to go back to that. I'll stick with my 70 degree winter days.xthumbsupx

appfan2008
October 2nd, 2007, 12:15 PM
stupid poll with a stupid idea... we are all fcs... no need for a seperate poll and as someone else has stated, there are only about 20 teams in the running for this anyway:(

footballfan11
October 2nd, 2007, 10:26 PM
well heres a little glimpse of their team, if it even matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-_xn9UTLY

Dane96
October 2nd, 2007, 10:36 PM
Always fun watching JJ play on film-- Kid has a cannon...but Flacco still has the stronger arm IMHO. That was a sick run by JJ...the long TD.

The thing I got most from that tape? UNC may be one of the worst FCS teams out there. No line, no speed, and horrible tackling in those clips.

USDFAN_55
October 2nd, 2007, 10:38 PM
well heres a little glimpse of their team, if it even matters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mc-_xn9UTLY

Thanks for the video link. But of course people will say anyone can do that against a JV team xcoffeex. As San Diego keeps winning, the hate for San Diego and Josh Johnson will increase. Oh well, they are entitled to their opinions.

footballfan11
October 2nd, 2007, 10:58 PM
Always fun watching JJ play on film-- Kid has a cannon...but Flacco still has the stronger arm IMHO. That was a sick run by JJ...the long TD.

The thing I got most from that tape? UNC may be one of the worst FCS teams out there. No line, no speed, and horrible tackling in those clips.

Yeah after watching this http://youtube.com/watch?v=ZKuugImn_Zs, Flacco does have a cannon as well, but it seems to hard to tell who has the stronger arm