PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best undefeated team?

HiHiYikas
October 1st, 2007, 11:21 AM
With 10 undefeated teams in FCS, which is best? I tried to chart some basic information about the remaining undefeateds. As always, something may be off here...so correct me if I'm wrong.

The headings, BTW, are wins, losses, home record, road record, conference record, DII wins, FBS wins, Opponents' Combined Record, and Opponents' total wins against D-I teams.

blackfordpu
October 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
NDSU

MarkCCU
October 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
I put montana but it was a close one between them and NDSU

AZGrizFan
October 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM
Well, not to state the obvious, but it's as plain as the nose on your face. Faced with those stats, obviously Montana stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Purple For Life
October 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM
UNI!!

TheValleyRaider
October 1st, 2007, 11:40 AM
Just looking at those numbers, you could make a case for Southern.

-They have more of their wins coming on the road (equal SIU and 1 behind UNI)
-They have 3 wins in conference, which can be tough games based on history and familiarity (only Delaware matches that)
-All of their wins are over FCS opponents (no D-IIs)
-They're the only team whose Opponent's Record is .500 (everyone else's is under .500)
-Their opponents also have 10 FCS wins, which far outpaces anyone else's opponent totals

It certainly isn't a perfect methodology, but interesting to look at

Also interesting is how that table is Black, Yellow and White xchinscratchx :p

BlueHen86
October 1st, 2007, 11:43 AM
UNI

FargoBison
October 1st, 2007, 11:47 AM
UNI

FCS_pwns_FBS
October 1st, 2007, 11:49 AM
UNI.

As for the second best, it's very hard to choose between Montana, SIU, NDSU, and Delaware, but I think I'd choose SIU.

Grizzaholic
UNI

Did you hit your head this weekend??? A Bison fan not voting for his team. Must be a cold day in hell after all of the hoopla Bison fans have been spouting.

HiHiYikas
Just looking at those numbers, you could make a case for Southern...

Also interesting is how that table is Black, Yellow and White xchinscratchx :p
I think it's UNI right now. I also don't understand why Delaware isn't ranked higher.

Southern does look pretty good on the chart.

I didn't notice the black/yellow/white until I posted it - That shade is in the red/orange collumn in MS Excel.

UMass, BTW, has only the FBS loss, hasn't played a DII, and is 4-1 against opponents with a combined 12-10 record, all DI wins.

ASU's opponents are 13-11 with 9 DI wins, and Wofford's are 9-14 with 6. Those kinds of stats by themselves start to break down when you are counting teams with losses.

USDFAN_55
October 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM
I think UNI has proven more so far.

FargoBison
October 1st, 2007, 11:53 AM
Did you hit your head this weekend??? A Bison fan not voting for his team. Must be a cold day in hell after all of the hoopla Bison fans have been spouting.

I must have because I also had the Griz in my top 5.

lizrdgizrd
October 1st, 2007, 11:54 AM
I had to go with UNI. But if Southern keeps up the good work they'll be top 10 in a few weeks.

No_Skill
October 1st, 2007, 12:24 PM
UNI

Good info on this table! I'd like to see this the rest of the year. Did you compile the info yourself?

HiHiYikas
October 1st, 2007, 12:32 PM
UNI

Good info on this table! I'd like to see this the rest of the year. Did you compile the info yourself?
Yeah, I had to chase a few numbers down, but, with ESPN.com, it's all only a few clicks away.

89Hen
October 1st, 2007, 12:33 PM
with ESPN.com, it's all only a few clicks away.
Careful. They've been know to make many I-AA mistakes. xnodx

RDH701
October 1st, 2007, 12:33 PM
I'd say UNI, all away games, pretty convincing wins.

USDFAN_55
October 1st, 2007, 12:37 PM
OK, someone needs to fess up. Who voted for San Diego?xconfusedx xeekx Don't get me wrong, I think they are good, but the bestxeekx

HiHiYikas
October 1st, 2007, 12:51 PM
Careful. They've been know to make many I-AA mistakes. xnodx
That's generally scoring stuff, though, isn't it?

Their basic conference and team information (records, standings, schedule) tends to be correct.

Casey_Orourke
October 1st, 2007, 12:54 PM
It is hard to say who is the best due to differences in the conferences, schedules and caliber of their OOC opponents. Montana has been crifticized for having an easier OOC schedule as opposed to other schools who claim to have a tougher schedule.

The only way it could really be decided is if the top teams actually were scheduled to play each other head to head outside of the playoffs to get a true test of their abilities. However as long as schools schedule OOC "cupcakes," which many do to pad their schedule, this debate will continue until the NC game where the actual top two teams battle it out.

BlueHen86
October 1st, 2007, 12:57 PM
It is hard to say who is the best due to differences in the conferences, schedules and caliber of their OOC opponents. Montana has been crifticized for having an easier OOC schedule as opposed to other schools who claim to have a tougher schedule.

The only way it could really be decided is if the top teams actually were scheduled to play each other head to head outside of the playoffs to get a true test of their abilities. However as long as schools schedule OOC "cupcakes," which many do to pad their schedule, this debate will continue until the NC game where the actual top two teams battle it out.

Once they play head to head someone has to lose. Once they lose can be longer be included in a "Best Undefeated Team" poll.:p

igo4uni
October 1st, 2007, 01:02 PM
I voted for UNI.

Surprised??

They did have a really good road trip!!

Gil Dobie
October 1st, 2007, 01:09 PM

SIU

skinny_uncle
October 1st, 2007, 01:09 PM
UNI.

As for the second best, it's very hard to choose between Montana, SIU, NDSU, and Delaware, but I think I'd choose SIU.
That might get sorted out in 12 days.
xsmiley_wix

Gil Dobie
October 1st, 2007, 01:12 PM
One thing to keep in mind, each of these opponents combined records include 4-5 losses to the undefeated teams. Also a column for opponents FBS wins would be fun to see.

813Jag
There are alot of great teams on that list. UNI, NDSU, McNeese, and Montana. And of course SIU who throttled UAPB (who had a close loss to NMSU) two weeks ago. Any one of these could be the best.
As for Southern they're playing well, but they face a tough test next week, against AAMU. A couple more non conference games could really show where this team stands. Hopefully they'll be in the same position next year when the mandate ends.

Chi Panther
With 10 undefeated teams in FCS, which is best? I tried to chart some basic information about the remaining undefeateds. As always, something may be off here...so correct me if I'm wrong.

The headings, BTW, are wins, losses, home record, road record, conference record, DII wins, FBS wins, Opponents' Combined Record, and Opponents' total wins against FCS teams.

WOW SIU's opponents are 4-20.....I had no idea.....

skinny_uncle
October 1st, 2007, 01:15 PM
One thing to keep in mind, each of these opponents combined records include 4-5 losses to the undefeated teams. Also a column for opponents FBS wins would be fun to see.
There is one. although it is last as BSw.

BigApp
October 1st, 2007, 01:19 PM
OK, someone needs to fess up. Who voted for San Diego?xconfusedx xeekx Don't get me wrong, I think they are good, but the bestxeekx

well, according to your signature you are the 2-time defenders...

Gil Dobie
October 1st, 2007, 01:22 PM
There is one. although it is last as BSw.

Opponents BS wins, not actual BS wins.

Blue Hen Nation
October 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM
Okay, who are the Homers voting for Delaware?

skinny_uncle
October 1st, 2007, 01:31 PM
Opponents BS wins, not actual BS wins.
Look again. Third column from the right.

Gil Dobie
October 1st, 2007, 01:33 PM
Look again. Third column from the right.

Thats wins vs FBS teams isn't it?

NDSU's opponent CMU has 2 wins vs FBS teams.

Casey_Orourke
October 1st, 2007, 01:38 PM
Once they play head to head someone has to lose. Once they lose can be longer be included in a "Best Undefeated Team" poll.:p

But at least it will weed out the good teams from the lucky ones.

ASUG8
October 1st, 2007, 02:02 PM
Well, not to state the obvious, but it's as plain as the nose on your face. Faced with those stats, obviously Montana stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Four home games in a row, and your opponents have collectively won 2 games? Looks like a pretty weak schedule based simply on this chart, but I could be wrong. Southern looks like a better balanced team.

USDFAN_55
October 1st, 2007, 02:42 PM
well, according to your signature you are the 2-time defenders...

That's right.... and I still voted for UNIxthumbsupx

Drblankstare
October 1st, 2007, 03:03 PM
UNI

very impressive with the 4 road wins

HiHiYikas
October 1st, 2007, 03:32 PM
WOW SIU's opponents are 4-20.....I had no idea.....
I think I have that right...Quincy is 2-3, N. Illinois is 1-4, S. Utah is 0-4, Ark PB is 1-4, and Ind. St. is 0-5...

Thats wins vs FBS teams isn't it?
Yeah, that's it. McNeese, NDSU, UNI, and So. Ill have each beaten one FBS team. I didn't check to see how many FBS teams the undefeated's opponents had beaten.

DuckDuckGriz
October 1st, 2007, 03:55 PM
I think UNI right now looks like the team to beat with NDSU close behind. I know the Bison put a hurt on CMU but I was much more impressed with the Panthers domination of Iowa State.

Gil Dobie
October 1st, 2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah, that's it. McNeese, NDSU, UNI, and So. Ill have each beaten one FBS team. I didn't check to see how many FBS teams the undefeated's opponents had beaten.

The reason I ask is NDSU's opponents have 7 wins, 4 against FCS teams. The first impression is the other 3 wins are against DII etc. In actuality two of the opponents wins are FBS wins which give a better impression than 3 DII etc wins. This is a great chart, just my xtwocentsx xpeacex

X-Factor
October 1st, 2007, 04:33 PM
San Diego!

fallowed closely by UNI!

Ronin
October 1st, 2007, 04:34 PM

I believe it's called integrity.

Chi Panther
October 1st, 2007, 04:43 PM
I think I have that right...Quincy is 2-3, N. Illinois is 1-4, S. Utah is 0-4, Ark PB is 1-4, and Ind. St. is 0-5...

Wasn't implying it was wrong.....just surprised.....

BlueHen86
October 1st, 2007, 05:25 PM
But at least it will weed out the good teams from the lucky ones.
But that is not what this poll is about. This poll is about the best undefeated team.

If you want to argue the best team start a new thread. Of course we already have the AGS top 25 poll for that.

Grizo406
October 1st, 2007, 06:07 PM
Its pretty easy to see why Montana is undefeated so far, not so much for the other teams listed.

I was torn between UNI and NDSU, but I went with NDSU.

Its a real, true shame that the Bison aren't in the Big Sky Conference, 'cause we're sure gonna' need a good representative next year.

I think NDSU would have been it, if they were in the BSC.xtwocentsx

HiHiYikas
October 1st, 2007, 06:23 PM
The reason I ask is NDSU's opponents have 7 wins, 4 against FCS teams. The first impression is the other 3 wins are against DII etc. In actuality two of the opponents wins are FBS wins which give a better impression than 3 DII etc wins. This is a great chart, just my xtwocentsx xpeacex
Looking back, I'm pretty sure I have the last column mislabeled. It actually lists the number of DI wins, not just FCS wins. My bad.

NDSU opponnents/record/DI wins [teams]...

S.F. Austin (0-4) 0
Sam H. St. (2-2) 0
Cen. Mich. (2-3) 2 [Toledo, N. Illinois]
W. Illinois (3-2) 2 [S.F. Austin, S.Dak.St.]

The 3 non-DI wins are Angelo St. and Ark-Monticello for Sam Houston St., and St. Francis (IL) for W. Illinois

Wasn't implying it was wrong.....just surprised.....
me too...

Gil Dobie
October 1st, 2007, 06:28 PM
Looking back, I'm pretty sure I have the last column mislabeled. It actually lists the number of DI wins, not just FCS wins. My bad.

NDSU opponnents/record/DI wins [teams]...

S.F. Austin (0-4) 0
Sam H. St. (2-2) 0
Cen. Mich. (2-3) 2 [Toledo, N. Illinois]
W. Illinois (3-2) 2 [S.F. Austin, S.Dak.St.]

The 3 non-DI wins are Angelo St. and Ark-Monticello for Sam Houston St., and St. Francis (IL) for W. Illinois

me too...

O K by me, thanks, xthumbsupx

SUjagTILLiDIE
October 1st, 2007, 06:31 PM
SUperior U.

HiHiYikas
October 1st, 2007, 06:32 PM
O K by me, thanks, xthumbsupx
I fixed the chart...it's labeled correctly now

JohnStOnge
October 1st, 2007, 06:41 PM
I voted Southern Illinois. I guess we'll find out something about that pretty soon.

Cap'n Cat
October 1st, 2007, 07:18 PM
I voted Southern Illinois. I guess we'll find out something about that pretty soon.

Don't know WHO the best undefeated team is. Youngstown State looks OK with that loss to OSU, too.

GOTOREROS
October 1st, 2007, 07:25 PM
I think UNI is the best undefeated team right now.....just my humble opinion. I voted them #1 in my poll.....

No_Skill
October 1st, 2007, 08:52 PM
Its pretty easy to see why Montana is undefeated so far, not so much for the other teams listed.

I was torn between UNI and NDSU, but I went with NDSU.

Its a real, true shame that the Bison aren't in the Big Sky Conference, 'cause we're sure gonna' need a good representative next year.

I think NDSU would have been it, if they were in the BSC.xtwocentsx

I would have loved to get into the BSC and start a rivalry with Montana. My in-laws live in Big Arm on Flathead Lake, so that would give the wife and me a good excuse to catch a game in Missoula on the way to "visit the in-laws". xthumbsupx

Rest assured if we ever meet in the playoffs and Montana hosts I'll be there. xthumbsupx

Nebuta
October 1st, 2007, 08:59 PM
I voted NIU, but give me this poll in November. And it could change drastically. Less teams on there and a better picture of who is legit and who isnt.

skinny_uncle
October 1st, 2007, 09:06 PM
I voted NIU, but give me this poll in November. And it could change drastically. Less teams on there and a better picture of who is legit and who isnt.

Northern Illinois is an FBS team and not in the poll.
:D

bjtheflamesfan
October 1st, 2007, 09:14 PM
Really NDSU and UNI have equally impressed me even though I voted for NDSU. I think that if the Bison were playoff eligible Id have them as my national #1 with UNI national #2

crunifan
October 1st, 2007, 10:21 PM
Northern Illinois is an FBS team and not in the poll.
:D

Thank you.

You obviously know what that does to a UNI fan. xlolx

unigriff
October 1st, 2007, 10:52 PM
and i thought all FCS fans knew our logo...:(...now i have to say they are like the ESPN commentators...ugh!

Nebuta
October 2nd, 2007, 07:10 AM
Thank you.

You obviously know what that does to a UNI fan. xlolx

:p

No harm, no foul. :D

HiHiYikas
October 2nd, 2007, 07:34 AM
and i thought all FCS fans knew our logo
Everybody knows your logo...it's right there on the helmets...

Casey_Orourke
October 2nd, 2007, 07:54 AM

The headings, BTW, are wins, losses, home record, road record, conference record, DII wins, FBS wins, Opponents' Combined Record, and Opponents' total wins against D-I teams.

Looking at the chart, I would think the top two teams are UNI and Southern U. Both have more road wins than home wins, their opponents have a better combined win/loss record and BCS wins.

Sorry Montana, but the numbers don't lie.

appfan2008
October 2nd, 2007, 08:07 AM
I went with UNI due to who they have played and how they have beaten the teams that they played... also montana's teams are a combined 2-14 yikes that is awful

Jag4Life
October 3rd, 2007, 05:50 AM
I had to go with UNI. But if Southern keeps up the good work they'll be top 10 in a few weeks.

lol nope. I don't think we could hit the Top 10. I hope for the Top 15 soon.

Jag4Life
October 3rd, 2007, 06:00 AM
Oh to answer the question
SOUTHERN U MIGHTY JAGS!!!

OL FU
October 3rd, 2007, 06:00 AM
OK who is the Hofstra homerxrolleyesx :)

HI54UNI
October 3rd, 2007, 07:39 PM
Everybody knows your logo...it's right there on the helmets...

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

bjtheflamesfan
October 4th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Really if UNI wins out they will probably be the national #1 seed in the FCS playoffs with Montana UMass, and either Appy State or Mcneese as the other seeds. Really Id say that if this was all about who is playoff eligible Id say UNI, but since this is the best undefeated team in general I went with NDSU based on the information presented.

UNHWildCats
October 4th, 2007, 12:26 AM
This poll should have been public so we could ridicule those 4 so far who have voted for San Diego.... I mean reall the opponents they have played thus far have won ZERO Div I games...... Pathetic schudule!

UNHWildCats
October 4th, 2007, 12:27 AM
Really if UNI wins out they will probably be the national #1 seed in the FCS playoffs with Montana UMass, and either Appy State or Mcneese as the other seeds. Really Id say that if this was all about who is playoff eligible Id say UNI, but since this is the best undefeated team in general I went with NDSU based on the information presented.

:D then UNH can go into the UNI Dome and return the favor ;)

DOME
October 4th, 2007, 01:47 AM
We're very hospitable :D

I continue to be impressed with SIU however, average margin of victory being almost 40 points!
I'm real excited to see how this saturday turns out for them.
I voted for UNI though mainly because we have a great chance of winning out since SIU and YSU both come to the dome this year.

bison gameday
October 4th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I would have loved to get into the BSC and start a rivalry with Montana. My in-laws live in Big Arm on Flathead Lake, so that would give the wife and me a good excuse to catch a game in Missoula on the way to "visit the in-laws". xthumbsupx

Rest assured if we ever meet in the playoffs and Montana hosts I'll be there. xthumbsupx

I was kind of let down by not getting into the BSC right away too but i think the gateway is a much better fit for NDSU because of the level of compitition and it gives them better exposure to future players in thier recruiting base