PDA

View Full Version : UMass is better than a I-AA team...

TigerFan17
October 1st, 2007, 10:32 AM
"That team has a lot of I-A transfers in it. They have [16] of them," BC coach Jeff Jagodzinski said. "So, they're a lot better than a I-AA team and they showed it. There's a reason those guys were in the championship game last year."

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=272720103

I mean I know he is trying to credit UMass, I guess. But...better than a I-AA team? What does that even mean? And only because they have transfers?

I just think that as a coach, he ought to know the bottom of FBS and top of FCS overlap. If the bottom teams of FBS played the top teams of FCS, we'd see that FCS teams would consistently win. Take a look at NDSU over CMU. That wasn't even close. Too bad most of them are smart enough not to do it.

I don't like nitpicking over every single detail because theres a lot of uninformed people in the world and it would make me crazy, but for the love of god, college football is this man's career. It's such a slight to any recruit that never transferred from an FBS school because he is basically saying there is no way that kid could be better than one that was an FBS recruit and that solely is what made the difference for UMass.

Bah. xsmhx

Pards Rule
October 1st, 2007, 10:45 AM
I know! They beat us 35-14 in the playoffs.

Cobblestone
October 1st, 2007, 10:51 AM
"That team has a lot of I-A transfers in it. They have [16] of them," BC coach Jeff Jagodzinski said. "So, they're a lot better than a I-AA team and they showed it. There's a reason those guys were in the championship game last year."

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=272720103

I mean I know he is trying to credit UMass, I guess. But...better than a I-AA team? What does that even mean? And only because they have transfers?

I just think that as a coach, he ought to know the bottom of FBS and top of FCS overlap. If the bottom teams of FBS played the top teams of FCS, we'd see that FCS teams would consistently win. Take a look at NDSU over CMU. That wasn't even close. Too bad most of them are smart enough not to do it.

I don't like nitpicking over every single detail because theres a lot of uninformed people in the world and it would make me crazy, but for the love of god, college football is this man's career. It's such a slight to any recruit that never transferred from an FBS school because he is basically saying there is no way that kid could be better than one that was an FBS recruit and that solely is what made the difference for UMass.

Bah. xsmhx

I think in addition to giving credit to UMASS that he's trying to imply that with the number of FBS transfers on the UMASS roster that he felt more like he was playing against another FBS team than he would if they were playing another team from the CAA.

At least that's how I read into it.

andy7171
October 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
I inserted my favorite I-AA team, Towson, into the statement where he said "a I-AA team".

I have to agree with him. :p

henfan
October 1st, 2007, 11:41 AM
What Coach Jag meant to say was that UMass was better than his perception of what an FCS should be.

Welcome to the real world, Coach.

EmeryZach
October 1st, 2007, 11:49 AM
I think he's saying they got lucky they won, and that the only reason was because we had 17 penalties for 115 yards. xsmiley_wix xlolx xlolx

Franks Tanks
October 1st, 2007, 11:50 AM
He is just trying to justify the close game. People in Boston arent very college football savy, and would never realize how good UMass is.

Lafayette71
October 1st, 2007, 12:21 PM
He is just trying to justify the close game. People in Boston arent very college football savy, and would never realize how good UMass is.

As a MA resident originally from Football crazed PA, I have to agree. Bostonians are completely absorbed with baseball, and of late, the Patriots (though they'll never admit to it now, prior to 2004 most would have traded 10 super bowls for world series). Most weekends you can walk up to the gate and buy tickets on gameday, and it's not a particularly large place. Even though it is the only big time FBS program in New England, there is not a lot of interest. As there is little demand from the general population for thorough coverage, the local media pays less attention to the BC program than you would expect for a top 25 team and they probably wrote UMASS off as a lesser opponent. This is one reason that the coach had to explain why UMASS wasn't the walk the media anticipated. I am sure that the BC staff spent a lot of time in the week leading up to the game making sure that the team wasn't taking UMASS lightly.

BEAR
October 1st, 2007, 12:41 PM
There's no doubt that UMASS is good, especially with all those FBS transfers. But I do believe that App. is holding the championship at their house, so the FCS can't be all that bad either. xcoolx

Pards Rule
October 1st, 2007, 01:57 PM
Umass had some pretty big interior lineman?

Indeed...From what I saw on TV for the first round of the playoffs last Nov. We were only behind 21-14 until a turnover on a replay-showing knee down (but thats the way it was called) gave UMass the ball on our 29 late in the third..Actually, my bigger issue was the pass interference call on Trey Martel after the turnover on third down (incomplete pass) giving them first and goal after which they scored and opened up a 14 point margin. I watched that play more than a few times and they got there simulataneously.

RadMann
October 1st, 2007, 05:58 PM
If the game between the FBS and FCS program is even close and the FCS team has some transfers on it, you'll hear a lot about the transfer subject from the FBS side. When UD beat Navy a few years ago, a bowl winning Navy squad at that, that's all we heard from the Navy coach , press and fans...UMass is the transfer leader in the CAA, so it was no surprise that the BC coach made those statements.

Col Hogan
October 1st, 2007, 06:35 PM
Umass will crush Delaware if they meet!

Have you watched Delaware...or are you just shooting off your mouth...xnonono2x

hc12
October 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM

umass has a darn good team ,the running backs are great and the defense is good.pretty good qb,bc was a little what's the word "surprise ".bc is not a top ten team in the country.xcoolx

Go...gate
October 1st, 2007, 06:46 PM
BC really has a high opinion of themselves...not sure it is deserved. They certainly showed no class in the way they exited the Big East.

JohnStOnge
October 1st, 2007, 06:50 PM
Yeah, I read that earlier. One problem with his statement is that the team that beat UMass for the FCS title last year didn't have many FBS transfers. Another is that the FBS transfer thing is part of what FCS is. Umass isn't the only FCS team with a pretty good number of FBS transfers on its roster.

Yes, Virginia, that was a "I-AA" (i.e., FCS) team.

Col Hogan
October 1st, 2007, 06:55 PM
umass has a darn good team ,the running backs are great and the defense is good.pretty good qb,bc was a little what's the word "surprise ".bc is not a top ten team in the country.xcoolx

Ah, don't look now, but they are ranked #7 in the AP poll this week...xrulesx

Col Hogan
October 1st, 2007, 06:58 PM
Yeah, I read that earlier. One problem with his statement is that the team that beat UMass for the FCS title last year didn't have many FBS transfers. Another is that the FBS transfer thing is part of what FCS is. Umass isn't the only FCS team with a pretty good number of FBS transfers on its roster.

Yes, Virginia, that was a "I-AA" (i.e., FCS) team.

UMass does have a number of former FBS players...but look at how many are starters...

70% of starters are pure FCS recruits or JUCO transfers...like most upper-level FCS teams...

We do attract transfers...but they seek us out...

Coach Brown has a reputation for treating his players right...they ain't angels...but we haven't had major "troubles"...

EmeryZach
October 1st, 2007, 07:19 PM
Well, I don't know if you heard yet, but one of our freshmen, LB Johnny Evans, was stabbed outside the student union on saturday night. It was after a dance or something. Him and one other kid were stabbed. University says we are safe though.

JohnStOnge
October 1st, 2007, 07:34 PM
Well, I don't know if you heard yet, but one of our freshmen, LB Johnny Evans, was stabbed outside the student union on saturday night. It was after a dance or something. Him and one other kid were stabbed. University says we are safe though.

Stuff happens. Plenty of kids who aren't football players get stabbed and otherwise get into trouble.

EmeryZach
October 1st, 2007, 07:36 PM
agreed. Just thought I would mention it. Not sure it had been mentioned anywhere.

hc12
October 1st, 2007, 07:50 PM

Stuff happens. Plenty of kids who aren't football players get stabbed and otherwise get into trouble.

is umass turning into THE"U"!:D

minuteman65
October 2nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
is umass turning into THE"U"!:D
Nah, we're just trying to keep up our reputation as the most violent campus in America!