PDA

View Full Version : Richmond experience

Boogs
September 30th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Few fans on the west side of the stadium. Reminded me of the Washington Federals fan support.

Cigarette smoking is permitted in the stadium because some guy was 10 feet away from a police officer and the smoking continued. Philip Morris sucks.

New Hampshire runs a no-huddle offense like Hawaii. Cool as hell. Glad they lost. Maybe #38 is Hawaiian cuz he has a long-hair doo.

Spiders all the way!

Oh yea, the coeds in their southern bell dresses look hot. xcoffeex

Kind of pissed because I forgot to pickup a free game program...unless that was computed in the $22 price of the ticket.

New Hampshire goes down. Next victim!

Boogs
September 30th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Few fans on the west side of the stadium. Reminded me of the Washington Federals fan support.

Cigarette smoking is permitted in the stadium because some guy was 10 feet away from a police officer and the smoking continued. Philip Morris sucks.

New Hampshire runs a no-huddle offense like Hawaii. Cool as hell. Glad they lost. Maybe #38 is Hawaiian cuz he has a long-hair doo.

Spiders all the way!

Kind of pissed because I forgot to pickup a free game program...unless that was computed in the $22 price of the ticket.

I'm looking into other website alternatives for those of you trying to download the picture of the Richmond game. Geocities.com sucks. Limitations on transfer rate usage.

BDKJMU
September 30th, 2007, 08:16 PM
UR will beat Towson, Stony Brook and URI, and we'll see a 6-1 maybe top 10 by then UR come to Harrisonburg to face a by then 6-1 maybe top top 5 JMU team.

Will be back to back big ones for JMU: UR then @ UD.

bostonspider
September 30th, 2007, 08:58 PM
UR actually has Villanova in Richmond, in between JMU and UD. But the schedule certainly does get rougher at the end of the year. I wonder if 8-3 (6-2, CAA) would get UR in the playoffs... I guess it would depend on how other teams did.

Franks Tanks
September 30th, 2007, 09:04 PM

Spiders all the way!

How did you come up with those rankings? By the look of it perhaps it was by throwing darts with your eyes closed.

BDKJMU
September 30th, 2007, 10:19 PM
UR actually has Villanova in Richmond, in between JMU and UD. But the schedule certainly does get rougher at the end of the year. I wonder if 8-3 (6-2, CAA) would get UR in the playoffs... I guess it would depend on how other teams did.

Yes, with one of those losses to a I-A, it absolutely would get UR in the playoffs. A CAA team goes 8-3 with a I-A on the schedule they're getting in the playoffs.

UNHWildCats
September 30th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I'm looking into other website alternatives for those of you trying to download the picture of the Richmond game. Geocities.com sucks. Limitations on transfer rate usage.

For 8.95 a month you can upgrade geocities to a advanced site get 2 GB transfer a month plus an actual www address. Usually have deals to so the first 3 months are like 25% off

rcny46
September 30th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Yes, with one of those losses to a I-A, it absolutely would get UR in the playoffs. A CAA team goes 8-3 with a I-A on the schedule they're getting in the playoffs.

I'm not sure that's necessarily true.UNH could end up 8-3,but I doubt that would be good enough in their case.Even with that record,there could still be 4 or 5 teams ranked ahead of them in conference,with at least the same overall record,and I seriously doubt more than four teams would make it out of the CAA.I think The Wildcats need to go undefeated the rest of the way to get in.

BDKJMU
September 30th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I'm not sure that's necessarily true.UNH could end up 8-3,but I doubt that would be good enough in their case.Even with that record,there could still be 4 or 5 teams ranked ahead of them in conference,with at least the same overall record,and I seriously doubt more than four teams would make it out of the CAA.I think The Wildcats need to go undefeated the rest of the way to get in.

By the end of the season there highly likely won't be 4 other CAA teams ahead of UNH outside of Hofstra that go 8-3 or better. 3 is likely. People will start beating each other, and at least one of the "big 6" will face a non big 6 upset. Hofstra is the only CAA team that might not get in at 8-3 due to no I-A on the schedule. UNH went 8-3, 5-3 CAA with a I-A win last yr and got in. The same thing would happen this yr. That still means wining 6 of 7, with UD, Hofstra and UMass still on schedule. Tall order, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see UNH do it.

I think it will be UMass, JMU, UD and one of either UR, UNH or Hofstra to get in.

blur2005
October 1st, 2007, 12:38 AM
By the end of the season there highly likely won't be 4 other CAA teams ahead of UNH outside of Hofstra that go 8-3 or better. 3 is likely. People will start beating each other, and at least one of the "big 6" will face a non big 6 upset. Hofstra is the only CAA team that might not get in at 8-3 due to no I-A on the schedule. UNH went 8-3, 5-3 CAA with a I-A win last yr and got in. The same thing would happen this yr. That still means wining 6 of 7, with UD, Hofstra and UMass still on schedule. Tall order, but I wouldn't be surprised at all to see UNH do it.

I think it will be UMass, JMU, UD and one of either UR, UNH or Hofstra to get in.
Yeah, I think it's unlikely there will be more than four 8-3 teams.

URMite
October 1st, 2007, 09:03 AM
I'm not so sure there won't be 5 teams at 8-3 or better and someone getting woffed.

Do I have this right?

HU - no losses and 2 home games vs "the six"
UD - no losses and a FBS game, 2 home, 1 away vs "the six"
UM - 1 loss and 1 home, 1 away vs "the six"
JMU - 1 loss and 1 home, 1 away vs "the six"
UR - 1 loss and 2 away games vs "the six"
UNH - 2 losses and 1 home, 2 away vs "the six"
It would be difficult to have 2 teams at 7-4 without an upset from the other half. I'm just worried that it may be 2 10-1s, 2 9-2s and an 8-3 UR.

Boogs
October 1st, 2007, 04:02 PM
How did you come up with those rankings? By the look of it perhaps it was by throwing darts with your eyes closed.

Here's how those rankings are computed:

http://www.geocities.com/bradleyterryfootballrankings/description.html

When all of the teams are better connected, the rankings look really good, fair, and objective....which means you have to wait until the end of October to get a good scatter of teams being pushed up and down.

The fact final scoring margins are excluded make the procedure that much better when sportsmanship issues are concerned (running up the score).

BTW, you look like coach Hank Stram! Go Chiefs!

89Hen
October 1st, 2007, 04:09 PM
I hope you didn't get an A in computers. xeyebrowx

1. Southern, LA (5-0) (5-0) 0.909 100.000
2. James Madison, VA (4-0) (4-1) 0.893 81.588
3. Northern Iowa (3-0) (5-0) 0.877 67.736
4. Delaware State (3-0) (3-1) 0.872 64.613
5. Delaware (4-0) (5-0) 0.869 62.580
6. Massachusetts (4-0) (4-1) 0.859 56.601
7. Hofstra, NY (4-0) (4-0) 0.848 51.128
8. Youngstown State, OH (3-0) (4-1) 0.848 50.932
9. Eastern Kentucky (3-0) (3-2) 0.842 48.079
10. Wofford, SC (3-0) (4-1) 0.840 47.190
11. Grambling State, LA (3-0) (3-1) 0.838 46.608
12. Yale, CT (3-0) (3-0) 0.821 40.245
13. North Dakota State (3-0) (4-0) 0.817 38.860
14. Richmond, VA (3-0) (3-1) 0.804 35.043
15. Villanova, PA (3-1) (3-2) 0.773 27.716
16. McNeese State, LA (2-0) (4-0) 0.772 27.595
17. The Citadel, SC (2-0) (3-1) 0.744 22.734
18. Montana (3-0) (4-0) 0.739 22.004
19. William & Mary, VA (3-1) (3-2) 0.735 21.447
20. Lehigh, PA (3-1) (3-1) 0.727 20.347
21. Iona, NY (mid-major) (2-0) (4-1) 0.727 20.271
22. Alabama State (4-1) (4-1) 0.725 20.093
23. Drake, IA (mid-major) (2-1) (4-1) 0.711 18.292
24. Alabama A&M (3-1) (4-1) 0.693 16.442
25. Southern Illinois
56. New Hampshire
63. Nicholls State
74. Cal Poly

Holy crap, time for a new computer. xconfusedx

Franks Tanks
October 1st, 2007, 05:04 PM
Here's how those rankings are computed:

http://www.geocities.com/bradleyterryfootballrankings/description.html

When all of the teams are better connected, the rankings look really good, fair, and objective....which means you have to wait until the end of October to get a good scatter of teams being pushed up and down.

The fact final scoring margins are excluded make the procedure that much better when sportsmanship issues are concerned (running up the score).

BTW, you look like coach Hank Stram! Go Chiefs!

HaHa, I wish I was that attractive. That picture is actually former Lafayette coach and 88 Eddie Robinson coach of the year winner Billy Russo. I understand that your rankings will be closer when more games get played, but just seems a little off now. But hey worthy effort. Also keep matriculating down the field.

JmuSkinsfan
October 1st, 2007, 10:23 PM

Spiders all the way!

Haha when UNH was in Harrisonburg for the JMU game the student section got a good ol' "Geico Caveman" chant for #38. He does have that look going on!

Boogs
October 2nd, 2007, 04:45 AM
...keep matriculating down the field.

I don't have a bladder problem.

Franks Tanks
October 2nd, 2007, 07:45 AM
I don't have a bladder problem.

I knew you wouldnt get that. "keep matriculating down the field" is a classic line by Stram in Super Bowl 3 captured by NFL films.

I guess I have to explain that, he used the word matriculating incorrectly of couse, but its funny because Stram is so sure that it is the correct word. Super Bowl 3 was the first time a coach was miked for NFL films, he must have stayed up all night looking up big words to say for the camera, and he uses that...hilarious.

appfan2008
October 2nd, 2007, 08:09 AM

I sure would think that 8-3 (6-2 CAA) sure ought to be in the playoffs that is a tough league

citdog
October 2nd, 2007, 08:12 AM
it was a long walk home from Richmond back in '65.

DTSpider
October 2nd, 2007, 10:28 AM

Smoking is not permitted.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 2nd, 2007, 11:56 AM
Smoking is not permitted.

Not stopped either.

DTSpider
October 2nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Not stopped either.

If you ask someone to stop they will. There are a number of people at the stadium who look official, but very few who do anything. I think that event staff technically are responsible for telling people and the officers for enforcing it if someone won't stop when asked. Horribly inefficient, but that's the City of Richmond.

An interesting thread though...this is all over the place.

yorkcountyUNHfan
October 2nd, 2007, 04:33 PM
An interesting thread though...this is all over the place.[/QUOTE]

Ya it is.

To bad your getting rid of that stadium it's really a neat set up. (perhaps the weather adds to it)

Whats the deal with only about 1/2 the tailgaters going into the game?
Your team deserves better then that.

DTSpider
October 2nd, 2007, 04:57 PM
An interesting thread though...this is all over the place.

Ya it is.

To bad your getting rid of that stadium it's really a neat set up. (perhaps the weather adds to it)

Whats the deal with only about 1/2 the tailgaters going into the game?
Your team deserves better then that.[/QUOTE]

I think only a UNH fan could call our stadium neat. Just kidding (well sort of). The design for the stadium is actually pretty good and it has good sight lines. The real problem is that it's owned by the City of Richmond. UR tried to buy it a long time ago and convert it into a 40,000 seat facility. Of course, that didn't happen and over time it has gradually eroded. In the early 1990s UR paid big bucks to have a new field put in and the facility hosted the NCAA men's soccer championships for several years. So the field is always in good shape.

A number of factors contribute to tailgaters not entering. One item is that many of the students are "too smart" to be athletically interested, so don't care about football, but do enjoy to party. Second, UVA had a night game, so I know of at least a few folks who came to City Stadium to tailgate early (since the lots weren't open yet in Charlottesville) then drove up there. Same idea since it was the State Fair on Saturday. Last reason, Richmond is a terrible sports town for whatever reason.

You're right though, the program has gotten to a point where more people should watch. It's a battle against the big boys though since the local press will always down play the CAA compared to the ACC.

URMite
October 2nd, 2007, 09:03 PM
Wait, you mean everyone's not like me? Haven't missed a game in 25 yrs (this is # 26), always the same seat, and never left early or been to a tailgate....

As for the stadium, supposedly it was great in the 40s & 50s but maintenance
eroded starting in the mid 60s, so many UR people now make fun of it.

I'm beginning to feel old because I remember when we consistantly drew 13-16k even when we were winning 4 games in 4 years...