PDA

View Full Version : Who's your top 5??

TheBisonator
September 30th, 2007, 01:54 AM
I haven't created a popular thread in months, and I just know this thread will have a lot of posts.xcoolx

What are your top 5 teams, IN ORDER, this week??

Mine are:

1) Northern Iowa
2) North Dakota State
3) Massachusetts
4) Montana
5) Appalachian State

JALMOND
September 30th, 2007, 01:56 AM
I reserve the right to post my top 5 until all the ballots are in and counted. Check with me Monday.

uofmman1122
September 30th, 2007, 03:39 AM
My top 5 is North Dakota State.

GreatAppSt
September 30th, 2007, 04:03 AM
1) Northern Iowa
2) Montana
3) UMass
4) *NDSU
5) App St

james_lawfirm
September 30th, 2007, 06:43 AM
In no particular order, my top 5 are:

No. Iowa, NDSU, UMass, ASU, Wofford

Wofford > Montana because Wofford just beat #1 & #15 in consecutive weeks. Who did Montana beat?

EmeryZach
September 30th, 2007, 09:08 AM
1. UNI
2. UMass (Depending on if Liam Coen's knee is ok)
3. Montana
4. NDSU
5. App State

McNeese_beat
September 30th, 2007, 09:13 AM
The homer in me wants to put McNeese in the top five, but I can't. I think the FCS is deeper with quality teams than it has been in quite a few years.

My top five are UNI, UMass, NDSU, Montana, App. State followed by McNeese and Wofford. One could also make arguments for SIU, Delaware and others.

There will be some very good teams that have to travel in the playoffs.

UNHWildCats
September 30th, 2007, 09:38 AM
App State causes me concern putting them in top 5.

Where's Armanti Edwards?

People were saying he was sitting out til conference play after Michigan, yet he's missed two conference games now. I may have missed a thread where his status was discussed.

Death Dealer
September 30th, 2007, 09:44 AM
Wofford knocks Appy out of the top five this week with a much more convincing beat down on FU than Appy's win over EU. Otherwise not much changes.

DaGriz
September 30th, 2007, 10:07 AM
What's the point of not letting NDSU in the playoffs? What genius came up with that rule? What was even the thought process of coming up with that rule? "Hmm, a team moving up a division which has been competing at a lower level will have an advantage moving up because...hell, who knows, let's not let them compete in the playoffs just to piss them off." So lame. This is why the playoffs are so great. You can talk about weak schedules or over rated teams blah blah, it doesn't matter because we have the greatest thing ever, a playoff system. And then we do something stupid by not letting a team moving up a division compete in it.

Mountain Panther
September 30th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Who did Montana beat?

Some pretty tough teams, as you can clearly see in this thread.....

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30146

xcoolx

HensRock
September 30th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Montana has not been in my top 5 for a couple of weeks now.

Appaholic
September 30th, 2007, 10:22 AM
1- Northern Iowa
2- North Dakota State
3- UMass
4- Wofford
5- App St

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2007, 10:26 AM
xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

bisonguy
September 30th, 2007, 10:27 AM
What's the point of not letting NDSU in the playoffs? What genius came up with that rule? What was even the thought process of coming up with that rule? "Hmm, a team moving up a division which has been competing at a lower level will have an advantage moving up because...hell, who knows, let's not let them compete in the playoffs just to piss them off." So lame. This is why the playoffs are so great. You can talk about weak schedules or over rated teams blah blah, it doesn't matter because we have the greatest thing ever, a playoff system. And then we do something stupid by not letting a team moving up a division compete in it.

The point is to make sure that academics and compliance are up to the higher DI standards. The product on the field might be ready, but the whole package needs to be ready to participate in the playoffs.

DaGriz
September 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM

This is what I don't like about pre-season rankings. So Montana was in your top 5 to start the year, they are undefeated and you dropped them out? What has Montana done to change your mind? We're giving up 10 points per game and averaging over 30. I understand if you didn't start with us in the top 5, I don't understand if you started with us there and have dropped us out.

MR. CHICKEN
September 30th, 2007, 10:28 AM
OOOOOOPS!.........YA'LL MEANT FOOTBALL............:o...AWK!

rufus
September 30th, 2007, 10:30 AM
The combined record of Montana's opponents is 2-14. It's actually quite possible that up to this point, the Griz have played the weakest schedule in FCS (barring non-schollarships). Now I know that Montana can't be held responsible for their opponents' weakness, but I just don't see how holding on at home for an 8 point win over a winless team warrents a top five spot.

Then again, most posters on this board would still have an 0-11 Montana team ranked somewhere in the #20-25 range.

1Aneedsplayoffs
September 30th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Although not #1, still ranked in the top 5. We will see what Montana has later in the season when they go on the road and play MSU.

Appaholic
September 30th, 2007, 10:55 AM
This is what I don't like about pre-season rankings. So Montana was in your top 5 to start the year, they are undefeated and you dropped them out? What has Montana done to change your mind? We're giving up 10 points per game and averaging over 30. I understand if you didn't start with us in the top 5, I don't understand if you started with us there and have dropped us out.

You've got a point, but let me offer another side to the argument. In my preseason top 5, Montana was #2. Now they aren't there....and it's not the Montana team's fault (maybe the AD's). I expected Montana & NDSU to be undefeated (they are). Also, I expected Umass, UNI, & App ST to have one lose. UNI is undefeated after 4 straight road games (impressive..they should be #1), UMass lost the game I thought they would, but showed better against a good BC team. App has one loss, but not the one everyone thought they would.....

And the surprise is Wofford....they have defeated the #1 and #15 team in successive weeks....in very impressive fashion. Therein lies the rub....Wofford has played their way into the top 5 at Montana's expense....blame your AD. Personally, I will not move a team down who has lost, but showed well, to a good BCS team (Umass) or penalize a team who has the expected record after 5 weeks (4-1) with an impressive win at Michigan while having to play their back-up quarterback te other 4 games (App St). However, I will move a team down for a weak schedule and not leaving their front porch to play the weak teams (Montana) if another team has impressive enough wins (Wofford)......

CCU97
September 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM

This logic is the same logic used to keep San Diego out of the playoffs last year....you didn't play anyone...you don't belong....It has been used to keep many teams from non-AQ conferences out of the top 25 and out of the playoffs....so why doesn't it work with Mont.? To only beat Weber St. by 8 tells me your team isn't as good as they thought they were!xoopsx What have they done to deserve to be in the top 5? Not what have they done not to lose the position....ranking is based off of what a team has shown to this point in the season....Montana has shown they can barely beat Weber St. Other than that they haven't shown much.....

catbob
September 30th, 2007, 11:00 AM
If you had Montana in the top 3, there is absolutely no reason they shouldn't be in the top 5 now. I don't understand the logic in moving a team down in favor of a team that "showed" well against an FBS foe. Yes the Griz have played some pretty bad teams, but they beat them how they should have (with the possible exception of Weber, but Weber isn't as bad of team as people think).

1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. Montana
4. UMass
5. App

catbob
September 30th, 2007, 11:07 AM
This logic is the same logic used to keep San Diego out of the playoffs last year....you didn't play anyone...you don't belong....It has been used to keep many teams from non-AQ conferences out of the top 25 and out of the playoffs....so why doesn't it work with Mont.? To only beat Weber St. by 8 tells me your team isn't as good as they thought they were!xoopsx What have they done to deserve to be in the top 5? Not what have they done not to lose the position....ranking is based off of what a team has shown to this point in the season....Montana has shown they can barely beat Weber St. Other than that they haven't shown much.....

Have you seen Weber play? Can you name a single player on the Wildcat team? Weber is a very physical, bruising team, and they were not built to stop any sort of option attack. Big Sky teams often struggle with option teams, because no one has ever run it in the Sky. The main problem for Weber is they can't find a quarterback. They have tried 3 different ones already, with the latest being a redshirt-freshman. They are the only team in the Big Sky to play a true man-to-man cover scheme, and it often times gives opponents fits.

Montana should have beaten them by more if they were a #1 team, but they beat them, and I find it somewhat odd that the #2 team in the AGS poll is now barely a top 8 team because of an 8 point win?

The Moody1
September 30th, 2007, 11:09 AM
App State causes me concern putting them in top 5.

Where's Armanti Edwards?

People were saying he was sitting out til conference play after Michigan, yet he's missed two conference games now. I may have missed a thread where his status was discussed.

He had a little bit of a set back but should be ready to go for our next conference game vs GSU on 10/20. We should be able to handle Gardner-Webb and Bye for the next two weeks without him.

FargoBison
September 30th, 2007, 11:14 AM
1.UNI
2.NDSU
3.UMASS
4.McNeese
5.Wofford

UNI going 4-0 on the road is very impressive, they should be #1 in a lot of polls. NDSU just keeps on rolling, beating 3 soild teams with 2 of them being on the road. UMASS lost but they were impressive against a very good BC team, no reason to drop a team that puts up that kind of effort against an FBS like BC. McNeese also just keeps on doing what they should be doing. Finally, Wofford has impressed me so much they showed they earned a spot in the top 5.

BigApp
listed alphabetically:

Appalachian
James Madison
Massachusetts
McNeese
Youngstown

No_Skill
I followed the end of the Montana vs. Weber game on ESPN Gamecast. If I remember correctly Weber had a chance to possibly tie the game with a TD and 2pt conversion with a couple of minutes left, but kept shooting themselves in the foot with penalties. If I remember correctly they drove down into the redzone, but then the penalties came flooding in. I think they had like 5 or 6 penalties in that last drive. Wasn't there like a 3rd and 51 at one point???

Can anyone detail that last Weber drive?

Tribe4SF
September 30th, 2007, 11:16 AM
1. UNI
2. UMass
3. NDSU
4. Wofford
5. Montana

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 30th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Wofford looks good but I don't think any of the teams in the top five deserve to be kicked out to make room for them. As for Montana...maybe they aren't one of the 5 best in the country but I wouldn't knock 'em out for one game against Weber. Every good team has a weak conference foe nip at your heels once in a while.

BigApp

they've never been in mine (so far). xreadx

FargoBison
Have you seen Weber play? Can you name a single player on the Wildcat team? Weber is a very physical, bruising team, and they were not built to stop any sort of option attack. Big Sky teams often struggle with option teams, because no one has ever run it in the Sky. The main problem for Weber is they can't find a quarterback. They have tried 3 different ones already, with the latest being a redshirt-freshman. They are the only team in the Big Sky to play a true man-to-man cover scheme, and it often times gives opponents fits.

Montana should have beaten them by more if they were a #1 team, but they beat them, and I find it somewhat odd that the #2 team in the AGS poll is now barely a top 8 team because of an 8 point win?

Its not about what Montana has done its about what other teams have done.

BigApp
September 30th, 2007, 11:20 AM

http://www.littleshelter.com/images/bingo.jpg

Saint3333
September 30th, 2007, 11:25 AM
Have you seen Weber play? Can you name a single player on the Wildcat team? Weber is a very physical, bruising team, and they were not built to stop any sort of option attack. Big Sky teams often struggle with option teams, because no one has ever run it in the Sky.

I guess that right there is justification in ranking Wofford ahead of Montana then. I didn't do it, but I wouldn't blame anyone that did.

UNHWildCats
September 30th, 2007, 11:33 AM
He had a little bit of a set back but should be ready to go for our next conference game vs GSU on 10/20. We should be able to handle Gardner-Webb and Bye for the next two weeks without him.

I dunno the Bye Cycles are a very impressive team who has caused many a fit this season. They roughed up UNH so bad that the Wildcats lost the next weekend to JMU xlolx

Yes I gave Bye a team name....kinda cute huh xcoolx

Old Cage
September 30th, 2007, 11:53 AM
Whoops. We (UMass) play them this week. I think we should keep all our starters out of that game and rest up for Nova.

UNHWildCats
September 30th, 2007, 11:57 AM
Whoops. We (UMass) play them this week. I think we should keep all our starters out of that game and rest up for Nova.

xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx Confused.....

bobbythekidd
September 30th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I dunno the Bye Cycles are a very impressive team who has caused many a fit this season. They roughed up UNH so bad that the Wildcats lost the next weekend to JMU xlolx

Yes I gave Bye a team name....kinda cute huh xcoolx
I know what you mean. We had the cycles in week 1 and had to come from behind against a bad Div-II West Georgia in week 2. Tough squad...those Cycles.xnodx

terrierbob
September 30th, 2007, 12:25 PM
I was going to gripe about not being in everyone's top fifve but with the way we're playing so far, it really doesn't matter to me. I'd say somewhere between 6th and 2nd. I don't keep up with the other schools as much as others.

twentythreeOh4
September 30th, 2007, 12:27 PM
And the surprise is Wofford....they have defeated the #1 and #15 team in successive weeks....in very impressive fashion. Therein lies the rub....Wofford has played their way into the top 5 at Montana's expense....

Correction: Wofford beat the former #15 team. Since Furman is now 1-3 and their only win is against Presbyterian I'm thinking Furman shouldn't be ranked at all this week.

birdsflyhigh
September 30th, 2007, 12:42 PM
No disrespect to the Montana football program here, but I agree that it's NOT so much what Montana has done, but instead it's about rewarding other programs for victories over tough foes. My top 5 this week:

1) UNI
2) NDSU
3) U Mass
4) App St
5) SIU

And yeah, I'd have YSU and Montana in a virtual tie at #6

UNHWildCats
September 30th, 2007, 12:46 PM
whta does Wofford gotta do to get some love

SeattleGriz
September 30th, 2007, 01:01 PM

So you wont be bummed when NDSU falls in the rankings as the year progresses because as it stands, it looks as if NDSU will face only ONE playoff bound team this year? Cal Poly, and that will be a tall order for them as well.

By the way, you didn't face any playoff teams at all last year, and all we heard was how you should be #1

WoCoTerrier
September 30th, 2007, 01:08 PM
whta does Wofford gotta do to get some love

I think we've gotta drop 100 on someone, and hold them to less than 10. I can see why people are holding us back, since we lost to NC State, a game in which we basically beat ourselves. I can't see how ASU is above us though. But oh well, the rankings don't matter too much, we'll be fine once we win the SoCon.

AggieFinn
September 30th, 2007, 01:09 PM
1) Northern Iowa
2) North Dakota State
3) Massachusetts
4) Appalachian State
5) Montana

It's still kind of a toss up for the top 3 - need a few more good games to see for sure. Wasn't too impressed with how the Griz did against Weber St. at home.

SeattleGriz
September 30th, 2007, 01:13 PM
I think we've gotta drop 100 on someone, and hold them to less than 10. I can see why people are holding us back, since we lost to NC State, a game in which we basically beat ourselves. I can't see how ASU is above us though. But oh well, the rankings don't matter too much, we'll be fine once we win the SoCon.

I don't think its that. It just hard to overcome history.

For example, look at Georgia Southern. If for some reason GSU beats Wofford and App, they would shoot to the top of the rankings because they used to be so good.

Wofford is on a tear, and it is just going to take people a little while to get them into their voting pattern.

DuckDuckGriz
September 30th, 2007, 01:15 PM
1. Northern Iowa
2. North Dakota State
3. UMass
4. Montana
5. Appalachian State

unigriff
September 30th, 2007, 01:26 PM
1. UNI
2. Umass
3. NDSU
4. App. State
5. Sourthern Illinois

FargoBison
September 30th, 2007, 01:31 PM
So you wont be bummed when NDSU falls in the rankings as the year progresses because as it stands, it looks as if NDSU will face only ONE playoff bound team this year? Cal Poly, and that will be a tall order for them as well.

By the way, you didn't face any playoff teams at all last year, and all we heard was how you should be #1

NDSU doesn't have 7 home games and a schedule that only contains one top 25 opponent. I don't know why NDSU keeps on getting dragged into this debate.. In my view our schedule was above average last year and will be so again this year(If you want me to explain why I will).

Also barely any NDSU fans have said we should be #1, I don't know where that idea comes from because it isn't true.

JALMOND
September 30th, 2007, 01:31 PM
With so much parity around the FCS this year (last week 8 teams received first place votes in the AGS poll) pretty much any undefeateds could make a case for inclusion in the top 5 (or even #1).

That said, I still reserve the right to post my top after the ballots are counted. I do not want to be responsible for influencing the voters. I will give you all a hint...I do not have Portland State as #1. xsmiley_wix

BDKJMU
September 30th, 2007, 01:45 PM
1. UMass
2. JMU
3. UD
4. UR
5. Hofstra

Just kidding.....

1. UMass
2. UNI
3. NDSU
4. Wofford
5. ASU

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2007, 01:49 PM
NDSU
UNI
UM
UMass
JMU

SeattleGriz
September 30th, 2007, 01:52 PM
NDSU doesn't have 7 home games and a schedule that only contains one top 25 opponent. I don't know why NDSU keeps on getting dragged into this debate.. In my view our schedule was above average last year and will be so again this year(If you want me to explain why I will).

Also barely any NDSU fans have said we should be #1, I don't know where that idea comes from because it isn't true.

Its not about what NDSU has done, its about what other teams have done.

Sound familiar?

FargoBison
September 30th, 2007, 01:57 PM

Sound familiar?

NDSU 4-0, has beaten two ranked FCS teams and one FBS team. Did I mention that NDSU also beat two of those teams on the road. NDSU's resume right now is pretty damn good and we still have games with good opponents left to continue on building that resume. If your going to use my quote back on me you better have at least something to back it up with....

Mountain Panther
September 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
NDSU 4-0, has beaten two ranked FCS teams and one FBS team. Did I mention that NDSU also beat two of those teams on the road. NDSU's resume right now is pretty damn good and we still have games with good opponents left to continue on building that resume. If your going to use my quote back on me you better have at least something to back it up with....

I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be right now to be a Bison fan and know that no matter how well you do this year, you can't go to the playoffs....xbawlingx

FargoBison
September 30th, 2007, 02:13 PM
I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be right now to be a Bison fan and know that no matter how well you do this year, you can't go to the playoffs....xbawlingx

During the season it isn't too bad because at least NDSU is still playing. But come playoff time is when it gets really frustrating, you have a great team that busted its tail off all year long but has no shot to prove it on the big stage. At least this is the last year we have to put up with it, next year will be great with the Gateway and playoff eligability all coming in the same season.

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2007, 02:17 PM

Sound familiar?

NDSU has done a heck of a lot more than Montana has this season.

BearsCountry
September 30th, 2007, 02:19 PM
App State
UMASS
NDSU
UNI
SIU

pantherfan
September 30th, 2007, 02:28 PM
NDSU
UNI
SIU
ASU
Montana-UMASS toss-up

xcoffeex

NDSU has looked outstanding and might not lose if they get by Minnesota. The winner of UNI-SIU might not lose this season. App. State still scares me more in the playoffs than any team (except if by some fluke UNI were to end up in Missoula...xthumbsdownx ). Montana shouldn't lose, but will trip up at least once or twice in the weak BSC. And UMASS will lose at least once or twice in the CAA. There is a good chance that 3 out of 5 of the listed eligible teams will get a seed in the playoffs. Just one guy's opinion.xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
September 30th, 2007, 02:39 PM
I haven't created a popular thread in months, and I just know this thread will have a lot of posts.xcoolx

What are your top 5 teams, IN ORDER, this week??

Mine are:

1) Northern Iowa
2) North Dakota State
3) Massachusetts
4) Montana
5) Appalachian State

Mine are:
1) Montana
2) Montana
3) Montana
4) Montana
5) Montanaxwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

Mountain Panther
September 30th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Mine are:
1) Montana
2) Montana
3) Montana
4) Montana
5) Montanaxwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

In no particular order, right?

SeattleGriz
September 30th, 2007, 02:41 PM
NDSU has done a heck of a lot more than Montana has this season.

Agreed.

But my point was more about clarifying the statement of, "Its not about what your team has done, it is more about what others have done".

If we are to go by that line of thinking, NDSU will drop as the season progresses and some of their good wins lose their luster.

That is why I quoted the NDSU schedule last year. They looked solid all year, but when it was all said and done, they had not faced one playoff bound team all year. By that line of thinking, they should have been outside the top 16.

Not picking on NDSU, just using them as the example for FargoBison.

FargoBison
September 30th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Agreed.

But my point was more about clarifying the statement of, "Its not about what your team has done, it is more about what others have done".

If we are to go by that line of thinking, NDSU will drop as the season progresses and some of their good wins lose their luster.

That is why I quoted the NDSU schedule last year. They looked solid all year, but when it was all said and done, they had not faced one playoff bound team all year. By that line of thinking, they should have been outside the top 16.

Not picking on NDSU, just using them as the example for FargoBison.

Didn't NDSU play two FBS teams last year, I guess that means nothing. Its a little early to say our good wins will lose there luster, they could easily end up looking better.

dgreco
September 30th, 2007, 02:51 PM
During the season it isn't too bad because at least NDSU is still playing. But come playoff time is when it gets really frustrating, you have a great team that busted its tail off all year long but has no shot to prove it on the big stage. At least this is the last year we have to put up with it, next year will be great with the Gateway and playoff eligability all coming in the same season.

Do they lose a lot next year, or can they make a serious run at a championship? All Honesty to things change but not being a homer and looking at it.

JALMOND
September 30th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Didn't NDSU play two FBS teams last year, I guess that means nothing. Its a little early to say our good wins will lose there luster, they could easily end up looking better.

That doesn't really mean much either. Last year Portland State played three FBS teams that played in post season bowl games, even winning one of them, yet did not get invited to the FCS playoffs. I guess its hard for FBS games to look better as the season continues.

FargoBison
September 30th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Do they lose a lot next year, or can they make a serious run at a championship? All Honesty to things change but not being a homer and looking at it.

The Big question next year will be how does NDSU do without Steve Walker? The backup has talent but is completely unproven. NDSU will still have a lot of depth at the O-line, reciever, and at running back. Defensively, I think NDSU will be about the same since we only lose 4 players.

SeattleGriz
September 30th, 2007, 03:05 PM

My point exactly. Polls should be about wins and losses. Not how one team compared to another because one beat them, but they lost to another and on and on.

Look at your great win over CMU. They beat the crap out of Northern Illinois yesterday. So does that mean you would beat the crap out of Southern Illinois, because they only beat NIU by a small margin?

EmeryZach
September 30th, 2007, 03:15 PM
UMass has the week off, so that will really help us get back into good health. Our team is pretty beat up right now.

FargoBison
September 30th, 2007, 03:21 PM
My point exactly. Polls should be about wins and losses. Not how one team compared to another because one beat them, but they lost to another and on and on.

Look at your great win over CMU. They beat the crap out of Northern Illinois yesterday. So does that mean you would beat the crap out of Southern Illinois, because they only beat NIU by a small margin?

The only thing the CMU win did was make our victory over them look better. It had nothing to do with NDSU vs SIU. Comparing scores is meaningless but that doesn't mean playing a tough schedule isn't. Polls are very complex and different people will value different things. Polls shouldn't be determined on just wins and losses because you have teams with similar records and you'll need some type of criteria to seperate those teams. That is why UNI is undefeated and #1 while USD is undefeated and unranked.

SeattleGriz
September 30th, 2007, 03:32 PM
The only thing the CMU win did was make our victory over them look better. It had nothing to do with NDSU vs SIU. Comparing scores is meaningless but that doesn't mean playing a tough schedule isn't. Polls are very complex and different people will value different things. Polls shouldn't be determined on just wins and losses because you have teams with similar records and you'll need some type of criteria to seperate those teams. That is why UNI is undefeated and #1 while USD is undefeated and unranked.

I agree, and with Montana's history, don't you think they should have a smidge of leeway? Just because they haven't hit the meat of their schedule, doesn't mean they are a cellar dwellar.

Look at our 2001 schedule. We played two Div II teams (W Washington and St Mary's -California) and won the whole thing. In fact I remember how everyone in the So Con couldn't believe the "weak" Griz held Furman to essentially zero points. Schedules aren't everything.

Everyone on here knows why the Griz have had to play at home so much. Money to get out of our deficit. This years games were scheduled when we were in the hole.

By the way, here is a local article discussing exactly what everyone has been talking about:

BILL SPELTZ: Soft Griz schedule comes with a pricetag
http://missoulian.com/articles/2007/09/30/sports/sports02.txt

semobison
September 30th, 2007, 03:35 PM
And thats what is great about the FCS, polls dont determine the championship. This poll talk is just entertainment for the fans...unless of course, you are not playoff eligible....oooff!!

EmeryZach
September 30th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Don't worry, NDSU will be winning championships soon enough.

FargoBison
September 30th, 2007, 03:45 PM
I agree, and with Montana's history, don't you think they should have a smidge of leeway? Just because they haven't hit the meat of their schedule, doesn't mean they are a cellar dwellar.

Look at our 2001 schedule. We played two Div II teams (W Washington and St Mary's -California) and won the whole thing. In fact I remember how everyone in the So Con couldn't believe the "weak" Griz held Furman to essentially zero points. Schedules aren't everything.

Everyone on here knows why the Griz have had to play at home so much. Money to get out of our deficit. This years games were scheduled when we were in the hole.

By the way, here is a local article discussing exactly what everyone has been talking about:

I think everyone is giving the Griz some leeway because of history, they are and will be a top 5 team at the very least in all the polls. Right now I'm still going back and forth on whether to rank the Griz 5th or 6th. If the Griz keep on winning that 5th or 6th could very easily end up a 1, 2 or 3 later in the season. SOS isn't everything, the Griz were a great team last year and returned a lot of talent so you have that going for you. Its also hard to knock a team back as long as they keep on winning. The teams in front of them have to be very impressive and unfortunately for the Griz that is what has happend.

JBB
September 30th, 2007, 03:50 PM
1) NDSU
2) UNI
3) Umass
4) Appalachian State
5) Youngstown

JALMOND
September 30th, 2007, 03:56 PM
NDSU
UNI
SIU
ASU
Montana-UMASS toss-up

xcoffeex

NDSU has looked outstanding and might not lose if they get by Minnesota. The winner of UNI-SIU might not lose this season. App. State still scares me more in the playoffs than any team (except if by some fluke UNI were to end up in Missoula...xthumbsdownx ). Montana shouldn't lose, but will trip up at least once or twice in the weak BSC. And UMASS will lose at least once or twice in the CAA. There is a good chance that 3 out of 5 of the listed eligible teams will get a seed in the playoffs. Just one guy's opinion.xcoffeex

I'm sorry but the Big Sky is not (and never has been) a "weak" conference. Last year both Big Sky representatives in the playoffs won in the first round (the Griz and Montana State). Sure, Montana has played a soft non-conference schedule and has not ventured out of Missoula yet, but to say that the Big Sky is "weak" is an understatement. Whoever emerges out of the Big Sky this year will be tested enough to make some noise in the playoffs. If its the Griz, they will be ready. If its the Cats, they will be ready, if its someone else (EWU, NAU or PSU) they too will be ready.

Geez, I don't know where the notion of the Big Sky is "weak" came from. Far from weak, its one of the stronger conferences in FCS. The Griz will be tested every weekend, as will all the other Big Sky schools.

FargoBison
September 30th, 2007, 04:05 PM
I'm sorry but the Big Sky is not (and never has been) a "weak" conference. Last year both Big Sky representatives in the playoffs won in the first round (the Griz and Montana State). Sure, Montana has played a soft non-conference schedule and has not ventured out of Missoula yet, but to say that the Big Sky is "weak" is an understatement. Whoever emerges out of the Big Sky this year will be tested enough to make some noise in the playoffs. If its the Griz, they will be ready. If its the Cats, they will be ready, if its someone else (EWU, NAU or PSU) they too will be ready.

Geez, I don't know where the notion of the Big Sky is "weak" came from. Far from weak, its one of the stronger conferences in FCS. The Griz will be tested every weekend, as will all the other Big Sky schools.

The Big Sky is a top 5 conference but is a step behind the CAA, Gateway, and SoCon. Whoever wins the conference will be tested though, the Big Sky isn't the MEAC or OVC.

No_Skill
September 30th, 2007, 04:05 PM

Not many people give any credibility to comparative scores, but to an extent I do.

GaSouthern
September 30th, 2007, 04:09 PM
1. Northern Iowa
2. Montana
3. North Dakota St.
4. McNeese St.
5. Wofford

No_Skill
September 30th, 2007, 04:12 PM

I don't think anyone is arguing that Montana shouldn't be ranked, that's just stupid. The debate is where to rank them in the top 10 or top 5. The funny thing is that the difference in strength between the top teams is probably small. Some NDSU fans (including me) are just making a big stink about rankings because that's all we have this year. In fact one of the team's goals is to Finnish the regular season with the #1 ranking. After next year I don't care where we are ranked as long as we make the playoffs.

terrierbob
September 30th, 2007, 04:28 PM
1. Northern Iowa
2. Montana
3. North Dakota St.
4. McNeese St.
5. Wofford

Thanks. Looked to be a bit of western bias developing..

GOKATS
September 30th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Northern Iowa
Mass
NDSU
App. St.
Youngstown St.

AZGrizFan
September 30th, 2007, 04:33 PM
In no particular order, right?

Exactly. Any one of the top 5 could win the whole thing at this point. xthumbsupx

BDKJMU
September 30th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Exactly. Any one of the top 5 could win the whole thing at this point. xthumbsupx

Right now I'd say any of the top 10 could win it all at this point.

nmatsen
September 30th, 2007, 04:43 PM
I don't understand all of the bickering about Montana's schedule. Do they play 90 percent cream puffs all at home? Sure. If UNI could draw almost 20,000 every game and be guaranteed 3 home games in the playoffs by having a 9-2 or 10-1 season I would be all for them doing that as well. They are doing what they have to do to play playoff games at Wa-Griz. Good for them, I don't discredit them for it.

BisonBacker
September 30th, 2007, 04:50 PM

You need to let it go or your going to have the same fate as I did. Being labeled a bad representative of NDSU and it's fan base by other NDSU fans. Besides we all Know Montana is #1. It's not about who you have played it's about last year and your reputation in FCS. That and we don't play in the BSC where all the best teams reside. xcoffeex

BisonBacker
September 30th, 2007, 04:58 PM
Just for the record I do have Montana ranked, but I will leave that alone. Regarding the BSC it looks more and more like a mess this year given NAU's loss and Sac States win? Portland is just plain hard to figure out but given a new coach and scheme they get a pass. I will reserve judgement on Montana State and IMHO (just as a fan) Montana is still an unknown.

FargoBison
September 30th, 2007, 05:03 PM
You need to let it go or your going to have the same fate as I did. Being labeled a bad representative of NDSU and it's fan base by other NDSU fans. Besides we all Know Montana is #1. It's not about who you have played it's about last year and your reputation in FCS. That and we don't play in the BSC where all the best teams reside. xcoffeex

They can label me that if they want, this is just a messageboard some people over at Bisonville need to relax. There is nothing wrong with a little debate and stating your opinions as long as you keep it classy.

AZGrizFan
September 30th, 2007, 05:42 PM
Right now I'd say any of the top 10 could win it all at this point.

Actually, I meant any one of MY top 5, which as a review, included:

1) Montana
2) Montana
3) Montana
4) Montana

and

5) Montana. xreadx

AZGrizFan
September 30th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Just for the record I do have Montana ranked, but I will leave that alone. Regarding the BSC it looks more and more like a mess this year given NAU's loss and Sac States win? Portland is just plain hard to figure out but given a new coach and scheme they get a pass. I will reserve judgement on Montana State and IMHO (just as a fan) Montana is still an unknown.

Actually, I'm not sure they're as unknown as you may think....I just don't necessarily like what i know right now about them.... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

AZGrizFan
September 30th, 2007, 05:44 PM
They can label me that if they want, this is just a messageboard some people over at Bisonville need to relax. There is nothing wrong with a little debate and stating your opinions as long as you keep it classy.

You stay classy, FargoBison.... xlolx

GSUhooligan
September 30th, 2007, 05:45 PM
NDSU
UNI
Montana
UMASS
Wofford

uofmman1122
September 30th, 2007, 05:46 PM

1) Montana
2) Montana
3) Montana
4) Montana

and

5) Montana. xreadx

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

grizband
September 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM
I followed the end of the Montana vs. Weber game on ESPN Gamecast. If I remember correctly Weber had a chance to possibly tie the game with a TD and 2pt conversion with a couple of minutes left, but kept shooting themselves in the foot with penalties. If I remember correctly they drove down into the redzone, but then the penalties came flooding in. I think they had like 5 or 6 penalties in that last drive. Wasn't there like a 3rd and 51 at one point???

Can anyone detail that last Weber drive?
Not in order, but I believe Weber had two false starts, a hold, a personal foul and were sacked by Kroy Biermann for an 11 yard loss. Also, twice in the first half, the Griz drove to the red zone, but did not score touchdowns because of penalties. So, with this argument, it could have been a worse game if the Griz hadn't shot themselves in the foot.

uofmman1122
September 30th, 2007, 05:50 PM
Not in order, but I believe Weber had two false starts, a hold, a personal foul and an 11 yard sack by Kroy Biermann. Also, twice in the first half, the Griz drove to the red zone, but did not score touchdowns because of penalties. So, with this argument, it could have been a worse game if the Griz hadn't shot themselves in the foot.Pretty sure the offensive Pass Interference was on that drive, as well. I was about ready to eat a baby when the ref threw that flag. I could have sworn it was on us. xlolx

grizband
September 30th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Pretty sure the offensive Pass Interference was on that drive, as well. I was about ready to eat a baby when the ref threw that flag. I could have sworn it was on us. xlolx
I knew that was OPI but still thought the refs might flag the Griz. xmadx

uofmman1122
September 30th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I knew that was OPI but still thought the refs might flag the Griz. xmadxWell, I was down in the student section, so all I saw was a guy tackle another guy, and a flag was thrown. Considering the bogus PI flag against us earlier, I really thought it was on us. One student next to me almost had an aneurysm, he was so mad. xlolx

Peems
September 30th, 2007, 06:08 PM
#1 UNI
#2 UMASS
#3 UM
#4 NDSU
#5 Weber State(;)) SIU

Sure the Griz didn't beat Weber by a "sizable" margin, but that doesn't mean much. The last 4 years the margin the griz have beat Weber by is as follows: 5, 5, 3 and 8 points in four of Coach Hauck's five seasons.

The Griz weren't overrated all those other years were they? Including the run to the NC game in 04? Just pointing out, the Griz aren't "almighty" enough to crush every opponent:)

Blue42
September 30th, 2007, 06:23 PM
At this point in the season, I'd say throw these names in a hat and draw them out in any order...

UNI, UMass, App State, NDSU, Southern Illinois

Montana has scheduled themselves out of the top 5 in my opinion. Too many other teams have proven themselves already to give Montana that much credit. Let's see what the conference schedule brings.

DB_Atlantic10
September 30th, 2007, 06:26 PM
UNI, NDSU, UM, App St, UMass

Peems
September 30th, 2007, 06:35 PM
#1 UNI
#2 UMASS
#3 UM
#4 NDSU
#5 Weber State(;)) SIU

Sure the Griz didn't beat Weber by a "sizable" margin, but that doesn't mean much. The last 4 years the margin the griz have beat Weber by is as follows: 5, 5, 3 and 8 points in four of Coach Hauck's five seasons.

The Griz weren't overrated all those other years were they? Including the run to the NC game in 04? Just pointing out, the Griz aren't "almighty" enough to crush every opponent:)

I'd probably add JMU to my top five, not sure where though

james_lawfirm
September 30th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Correction: Wofford beat the former #15 team. Since Furman is now 1-3 and their only win is against Presbyterian I'm thinking Furman shouldn't be ranked at all this week.

Well, Duh! When a ranked team loses to an FCS foe, it is common to fall in the polls. The point I am sure the original poster was making was that Furman was ranked #15 AT THAT TIME. They may have been overranked, but that was everyone's best information at time time.

james_lawfirm
September 30th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I don't understand all of the bickering about Montana's schedule. Do they play 90 percent cream puffs all at home? Sure. If UNI could draw almost 20,000 every game and be guaranteed 3 home games in the playoffs by having a 9-2 or 10-1 season I would be all for them doing that as well. They are doing what they have to do to play playoff games at Wa-Griz. Good for them, I don't discredit them for it.

Except that it might not work. Assuming Montana goes 11-0 w/ said creampuff schedule, then since the playoff committee uses strength of schedule as one factor in determining the seeds, it is entirely in the realm of possibilities that an 11-0 Montana will NOT be seeded. Thus, no home games.

After all, the committee need look no further than the '05 season to recall that Hampton (4th seed w/ a very low SOS) made a first round exit from the playoffs. I guarantee the committee remembers, as it is a reflection on their ability, or lack thereof, to pick the best teams to be seeds.

SU Jag
September 30th, 2007, 07:36 PM
Youngstown State
UMass
McNeesee
North Dakota State
Northern Iowa

Peems
September 30th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Except that it might not work. Assuming Montana goes 11-0 w/ said creampuff schedule, then since the playoff committee uses strength of schedule as one factor in determining the seeds, it is entirely in the realm of possibilities that an 11-0 Montana will NOT be seeded. Thus, no home games.

After all, the committee need look no further than the '05 season to recall that Hampton (4th seed w/ a very low SOS) made a first round exit from the playoffs. I guarantee the committee remembers, as it is a reflection on their ability, or lack thereof, to pick the best teams to be seeds.

IF(and that is a big if) the Griz go 11-0 in the regular season and are not seeded, I will gladly sport the avatar of whoever is the #1 seed.
*note if the Griz are a 2 or 3 seed and are undefeated this does not apply

Keeper
September 30th, 2007, 08:00 PM
1 Massachusetts ------
2 Northern Iowa ------
3 North Dakota State -
4 Delaware -----------
5 James Madison ------
6 Wofford ------------
7 Richmond -----------
8 Appalachian State --
9 Southern Illinois --
10 Citadel ------------
11 McNeese State ------
12 Montana ------------
13 Youngstown State ---
14 New Hampshire ------
15 Yale ---------------
16 Hofstra ------------
17 William & Mary -----
18 Grambling ----------
19 Southern U ---------
20 Montana State ------

GOKATS
September 30th, 2007, 08:06 PM

If the griz go 11-0 (which I seriously doubt) they will get the BSC autobid and will no doubt host probably two games.

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2007, 08:12 PM
How could anyone have Montana over NDSU or UNI at this point in the season?

BDKJMU
September 30th, 2007, 08:18 PM
How could anyone have Montana over NDSU or UNI at this point in the season?

Or Umass, or ASU, or Wofford...

blackfordpu
September 30th, 2007, 08:32 PM
Or Umass, or ASU, or Wofford...

true, true and true.

Appaholic
September 30th, 2007, 08:48 PM

Agreed

BigApp
September 30th, 2007, 08:53 PM

1) Montana
2) Montana
3) Montana
4) Montana

and

5) Montana.

sweet. If #2 and #3 meet in the playoffs, who goes on the road?

FWIW, Appalachian has already played as many road games (3) as Montana plays ALL SEASON.
xreadx

AZGrizFan
September 30th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Please, please, PLEASE tell me you did NOT just equate Montana's conference schedule with playing in the MEAC. If, in all seriousness, there is THAT little regard for the Big Sky Conference, ya'll are in for a rude awakening come playoff-time. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Also, if you think an 11-0 Montana team, ranked #1, 2, or 3 in the country in multiple polls, WON'T get a home game, you truly are delusional. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

pantherfan
September 30th, 2007, 09:41 PM

I don't care if Missoula High is on Montana's schedule 4 times; an 11-0 or 10-1 U of M hosts throughout the playoffs...xnodx

FCS Go!
September 30th, 2007, 10:00 PM

FWIW, Appalachian has already played as many road games (3) as Montana plays ALL SEASON.
xreadx

Hey, I think you've discovered something there! App St's schedule may be tougher than Montana's!

1- N. Iowa
2- UMass
3- N. Dakota St
4- S. Illinois
5- App St

HensRock
September 30th, 2007, 10:05 PM

It's not what Montana has done or failed to do. It's more about what others have done that is more impressive. An 8-point win over unranked WSU didn't help. Top 5 teams should destroy unranked teams. xpeacex

BDKJMU
September 30th, 2007, 10:16 PM
I don't care if Missoula High is on Montana's schedule 4 times; an 11-0 or 10-1 U of M hosts throughout the playoffs...xnodx

Agreed for the 1st 2 rounds. If Montana was 10-1 with their schedule unless they were winning most of their games really big its not definite they get a seed. If there were 5 10-1 teams from the power conferences (CAA, Gateway, So-Con & Big Sky) plus maybe a McNeese, one would have to be left out of the seed. Who would that be? Also if a 10-1 Montana got a seed it likely be #3 or #4, which would mean on the road if they made the semis and the #1 and #2 seeds also did. xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
September 30th, 2007, 10:48 PM

xreadx

Interesting that you would put the xreadx after your "fact", since your "fact" is simply not true.

Montana plays FOUR road games this season. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good discussion. xlolx

Slackjaw
September 30th, 2007, 11:34 PM
1.) NDSU
2.) UNI
3.) UMASS
4.) Wofford
5.) App St.

Montana's cozy home schedule will bite them in the ass once they go on the road. Especially in the playoffs. Their schedule is good for a team that is only looking to extend their playoff run, but doesn't offer tests for one looking to win a title.

In the past couple years it seems they have settled for the idea of "just keep making the playoffs", rather than building/grooming a team too win a title. LAME! They won't win a the National Title with a team that is capable of doing so because they won't be battle tested.

Proud Griz Man
September 30th, 2007, 11:50 PM

That is why you are a fan. Go ask a FCS coach if Montana is an unknown.xreadx

igo4uni
September 30th, 2007, 11:57 PM
I would love to play Montana in the fabulous UNI-Dome!!xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

FCS Go!
October 1st, 2007, 12:00 AM
1.) NDSU
2.) UNI
3.) UMASS
4.) Wofford
5.) App St.

In the past couple years it seems they have settled for the idea of "just keep making the playoffs", rather than building/grooming a team too win a title. LAME! They won't win a the National Title with a team that is capable of doing so because they won't be battle tested.

I know I'm going to regret asking this:
What is your evidence for the above?

I guess last year's game @ Iowa was somehow part of the master plan to get to the playoffs? The 2005 game @ Oregon was no doubt the same. Yes, this years OOC schedule is a joke (except Albany) but please get over it. Go back to bashing the Big Sky conference, the weather in Missoula in December, teams that aren't from the East or something.

I got it!- another Montana CB was arrested last week for pulling a gun one someone. Montana must owe their success on the football field to their thug recruits! Please beat us over the head with that for a few months. Thanks in advance.xbangx

footballer23
October 1st, 2007, 12:33 AM
My top 5 are:
1) NDSU
2) Northern Iowa
3) Montana
4) James Madison
5) UMass

Fresno St. Alum
October 1st, 2007, 12:33 AM
1. N.Iowa
2. NDSU
3. Montana
4. McNeese St.
5. UMass

Tod
October 1st, 2007, 12:39 AM

You can't be serious. xeyebrowx

crunifan
October 1st, 2007, 01:02 AM
I've noticed it several times, even in this thread.

But if you are going to abbreviate the University of Northern Iowa, why use "N.Iowa?"

UNI is by far, without question, the most used name for our school. Even more than Northern Iowa or University of Northern Iowa. It is always just UNI (on clothes, merchandise, in speech, everything).

So, I have always found it odd that if people are going to abbreviate our name, why not just go UNI? Get rid of all this No. IA, N.Iowa, etc.

*steps off soap box*

01pantherfan
October 1st, 2007, 02:13 AM
1. UNI
2 NDSU
3. UMass
4. App State
5. SIU ( granted this weeks win doesnt say much as IN State would get creamed by eastern kentucky school of culinary arts and hotel management)

Go Bison
October 1st, 2007, 08:09 AM

Just curious which playoff teams did Montana face in the regular season last year? I only count Montana State and they were quite lucky to make the playoffs last year.

DB_Atlantic10
October 1st, 2007, 08:35 AM

Don't hold your breath on this... If Montana goes 11-0, even if they played High Schools, they are going to get a seed, that's just the way it is...The Committee won't think twice about it. I mean has this schedule affected the way the polesters are voting...Coaches/CSN... I think not.. To say an undefeated Montana wont get a seed goes against the fabric of FCS football.....xsmhx

There's Montana in the West and Delaware in the East..and everything else falls in between. They are two of the most consistent, established and wealthiest programs in the FCS...8 wins they are in and 10 wins they are seeded regardless of who they play.

Khan4Cats
October 1st, 2007, 08:58 AM

1) Montana
2) Montana
3) Montana
4) Montana

and

5) Montana. xreadx

Neither, Montana doesn't play road playoff games. It's in the FCS Charter somewhere I'm sure.xrulesx xwhistlex

Still too early to worry much here. I am concerned with the voter mentality of not dropping a team despite a"good loss", does the converse hold true? should a team lose ground because of a "bad win", or at least a win that was not as impressive as should have been?

This is why it is better to lose early, if you are going to. Voters forget about about early losses and teams are able to climb back up. Montana could be most hurt this year by playing Montana State last, on the road. A loss there, combined with other teams playing well around the country, could conceivably drop Montana from #1 in the nation to out of the top 4. Though the cynic in me doesn't believe the committee will ever pass up the $$$ of giving Montana a seed.

DaveK
October 1st, 2007, 09:13 AM
1. Wofford
2. Appalachian State
3. Northern Iowa
4. Montana
5. Southern Illinois

JMU2K_DukeDawg
October 1st, 2007, 09:38 AM
1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. Montana
4. UMass
5. App St.

On Deck:
6. JMU
7. YSU
8. Wofford
9. SIU
10. Delaware

lizrdgizrd
October 1st, 2007, 09:59 AM
1. Northern Iowa
2. North Dakota St.
3. Youngstown St.
4. McNeese St.
5. Wofford

unigriff
October 1st, 2007, 09:59 AM
does someone know something about SIU that us gateway folk dont? They are very very good and are easily a top 5-6 team, if not top 4.

Killsback
October 1st, 2007, 10:20 AM
We will be happy to stay out of the top 5 limelight for the next week or so. If we can beat the Penguins at home next week and then upset UNI in the Dome on the 13th then maybe we qualify for some top 5 consideration. We are very good offensively and defensively, but because of the way the schedule is we have not been really tested except for the NIU game which we had to come from behind to win.

Nick Hill is playing as good as almost anyone except for Sanders from UNI. Nick has yet to throw an interception and SIU is throwing the ball alot more this year. Hill has already thrown the ball to 18 different receivers. We are deep at WR and TB and Indiana State's coach say this SIU team has the most talent since the 1983 National Championship team.

We will let you know in two weeks....

andy7171
October 1st, 2007, 10:21 AM
does someone know something about SIU that us gateway folk dont? They are very very good and are easily a top 5-6 team, if not top 4.
I agree. Southern Illinois is very good. I had them at #10 to start the year and they are still there. No one in my top 10 has lost, to an FCS school, except ASU which I dropped to #6. It's hard to move up if no one is losing. Pre-season hype does have it's advantages. Teams like Quincy and Pine Bluff aren't help in the early goings. This week will be the test for the Salukis.

My top 5...
1- UNI
2- Montana
3- NDSU
4- JMU
5- UMass

DOME
October 1st, 2007, 10:22 AM
It really bugs me that everyone is saying how you should smoke the weak teams on your schedule yet nobody is noticing the teams that actually do this. I think SIU should get a lot more respect considering they're beating teams by an average of 40 points!! That'd be a bigger margin if it weren't for a three point road win at FBS NIU...

1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. SIU
4. JMU
5. UMASS

Killsback
October 1st, 2007, 10:30 AM
What might be a little more telling is that SIU smoked Arkansas Pine Bluff and then Pine Bluff alomst wins at 1-A New Mexico State Saturday. As I said earlier, this team is clicking on all cylinders at the moment and it hasn't mattered who they have lined up against. They are playing their style of ball and not worrying about the opposition too much. Better talent, schemes and execution will win games and right now that is what the Salukis have in their court.

andy7171
October 1st, 2007, 10:33 AM
What might be a little more telling is that SIU smoked Arkansas Pine Bluff and then Pine Bluff alomst wins at 1-A New Mexico State Saturday. As I said earlier, this team is clicking on all cylinders at the moment and it hasn't mattered who they have lined up against. They are playing their style of ball and not worrying about the opposition too much. Better talent, schemes and execution will win games and right now that is what the Salukis have in their court.
Good point. I didn't bother looking at the A-PB scores from this weekend. Still, I don't think it warrants leapfroggin YSU, ASU, Wofford or McNeese.
Beat YSU and UNI and you're in the top 3 in my book. xthumbsupx

Killsback
October 1st, 2007, 10:38 AM
Totally agree about leapfrogging. Coach Kill would rather do the hunting than being thehuted at the moment. So, if YSU comes into Carbondale as the favorite that will set very well with Kill and his staff.

By the way, I don't know how many AGS fans realize this, but Kill has kept his staff in tact the entire time he has been here except for some GA's and minor staff. The core group of 7 coaches he brought to Carbondale 7 years ago are still with him. Not an easy thing to do with all of the success SIU has had and the interest of bigger schools in our assistants. That has had a smuch to do with the Salukis success as anything. Continuity in a program speaks volumes.

footballer23
October 1st, 2007, 10:43 AM
1. Wofford
2. Appalachian State
3. Northern Iowa
4. Montana
5. Southern Illinois

Dave, Dave, Dave... are you serious? I'm not sure I even know what to say other than that... except for the fact that there is a glaring omission...xnonox

Chi Panther
October 1st, 2007, 10:51 AM
I agree. Southern Illinois is very good. I had them at #10 to start the year and they are still there. No one in my top 10 has lost, to an FCS school, except ASU which I dropped to #6. It's hard to move up if no one is losing. Pre-season hype does have it's advantages. Teams like Quincy and Pine Bluff aren't help in the early goings. This week will be the test for the Salukis.

My top 5...
1- UNI
2- Montana
3- NDSU
4- JMU
5- UMass

But not everyone has won their BCS (I-A game).......

putter
October 1st, 2007, 10:53 AM
1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. App
4. UMass
5. Montana

Why the hard on with Montana? Who cares if you have them at #2 or #6. They will be there in the end and everyone should know that conference play is a whole new ballgame. Montana is Weber's superbowl as their coach has said as much. After the game Weber coach McBride said the goal was to beat the ***** out of Montana (he said this in the post game press conference) so that tells you the mentality of their team. It was the best game they played by far all season so I would not worry about an 8 point win. I would worry more about losing Lex Hilliard for X weeks with a shoulder injury.

wapiti
October 1st, 2007, 10:57 AM
1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. McNeese
4. Appalachian
5. Wofford
Others receiving consideration
Umass, Montana, SIU, Montana State, Youngstown

JmuSkinsfan
October 1st, 2007, 11:03 AM
1) UNI
2) UMASS
3) NDSU
4) Wofford
5) App. State
6) JMU
7) Montana
8) SIU
9) Delaware
10) Mcneese State

DaveK
October 1st, 2007, 11:04 AM
Dave, Dave, Dave... are you serious? I'm not sure I even know what to say other than that... except for the fact that there is a glaring omission...xnonox

Which of my top five do you feel is undeserving? xconfusedx

andy7171
October 1st, 2007, 11:04 AM
But not everyone has won their BCS (I-A game).......
Right but I don't like to penalize FCS teams in the rankings for playing FBS schools. I give credit with a win over them, but not for a loss.xreadx

Ronin
October 1st, 2007, 11:08 AM
1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. Southern Illinois
4. App State
5. UMass

wapiti
October 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM

Montana - Due to the weak schedule. They are a top 10, but not a top 5.

GolfingGriz
October 1st, 2007, 11:14 AM
1. UMass
2. NDSU
3. UNI
4. App. State
5. Wofford
I think someone not mentioned here will be there at the end but that is still three months away.

Go Bison
October 1st, 2007, 11:24 AM

Dave, I am surprised UND is not in your top 5. xlolx

mlbowl
October 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM
Maybe, if we win again next week, we can drop completely out of the top 25.

lizrdgizrd
October 1st, 2007, 11:29 AM
Maybe, if we win again next week, we can drop completely out of the top 25.
One can only hope! xlolx xlolx xlolx

Mountain Panther
October 1st, 2007, 11:55 AM
Montana - Due to the weak schedule. They are a top 10, but not a top 5.

Hang in there folks.....only 7 more weeks of debating whether or not Montana should be in the top 5! xthumbsupx

Black and Gold Express
October 1st, 2007, 12:20 PM

My reasoning would be because the rest of everyone else's Top 5's have actually played teams that people would consider "good" or better. Nobody Montana has played can lay claim to being much better than "putrid" really. 2-14 combined record says a lot for it only being 5 weeks through the season.

Right now, Montana gets the same treatment as the mid-majors do: Play someone worth a damn (or a few someones), put up the same stats against them, then you can lay claim to a spot.

My Top 5:

NDSU
UMass
Wofford
ASU
UNI

HiHiYikas
October 1st, 2007, 12:29 PM
1 Northern Iowa
2 North Dakota State
3 UMass
4 Appalachian State
5 Montana

I actually didn't vote that way this week, though. Montana's 2-14 opponents' record is pretty underwhelming, though the Griz can get more and more impressive as the season goes on.

I could see each of the 4 playoff-eligible teams in my list being handed a loss at some point in what's left of the season, too...ASU goes to Furman and The Citadel, UNI hosts fellow undefeated Southern Illinois, Montana wraps up the season at Montana State, and UMass finishes against New Hampshire and Hofstra.

andy7171
October 1st, 2007, 12:35 PM
Not to derail this, but...

What happens if UMass, UNI and Montana all lose in the upcoming weeks vaulting NDSU into #1, NDSU beats Minnesota and finishes the season undefeated with a vast majority of #1 votes? Do we just ignore them at #1 when the playoffs begin and award our #1 votes to the NC? I smell a huge controversy if things shake out right. This would be a BCS caliber controversy in our beloved FCS!

BDKJMU
October 1st, 2007, 12:42 PM
Don't hold your breath on this... If Montana goes 11-0, even if they played High Schools, they are going to get a seed, that's just the way it is...The Committee won't think twice about it. I mean has this schedule affected the way the polesters are voting...Coaches/CSN... I think not.. To say an undefeated Montana wont get a seed goes against the fabric of FCS football.....xsmhx

There's Montana in the West and Delaware in the East..and everything else falls in between. They are two of the most consistent, established and wealthiest programs in the FCS...8 wins they are in and 10 wins they are seeded regardless of who they play.

Of course Montana at 11 wins is seeded #1 or #2. But 10 wins? With their schedule it will depend on how they play and how many other teams from the big 4 conferences plus maybe Southland (McNeese?) finish 10-1. If there are 4 others Montana might not get that seed. So 10-1 Montana is probably 2 to 1 a seed, but not definite.

No_Skill
October 1st, 2007, 12:43 PM

What happens if UMass, UNI and Montana all lose in the upcoming weeks vaulting NDSU into #1, NDSU beats Minnesota and finishes the season undefeated with a vast majority of #1 votes? Do we just ignore them at #1 when the playoffs begin and award our #1 votes to the NC? I smell a huge controversy if things shake out right. This would be a BCS caliber controversy in our beloved FCS!

I both love and hate this thought at the same time. :D :(

BDKJMU
October 1st, 2007, 12:46 PM
1. NDSU
2. UNI
3. McNeese
4. Appalachian
5. Wofford
Others receiving consideration
Umass, Montana, SIU, Montana State, Youngstown

Dang, 1st top 10 I've seen with no JMU! xeyebrowx xeekx

BigApp
October 1st, 2007, 01:07 PM
Interesting that you would put the xreadx after your "fact", since your "fact" is simply not true.

Montana plays FOUR road games this season. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

But hey, don't let facts get in the way of a good discussion. xlolx

took you long enough to catch that xreadx Did someone have to point it out to you?

and yes it was intentional. ;)

Happy Halloween!

lizrdgizrd
October 1st, 2007, 01:19 PM

No controversy here, the National Champion would still be whoever won the playoffs. Polls have no bearing on the title. xnodx

putter
October 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM
Hang in there folks.....only 7 more weeks of debating whether or not Montana should be in the top 5! xthumbsupx

I guess I will have to come back to AGS in 7 weeks. This is getting old already.

GolfingGriz
October 1st, 2007, 02:18 PM

Interesting scenerio, but i dont care how good NDSU looks throughout the season, whoever can win 4 tough games at the end of the season is without question the best team and deserves the #1 ranking. It doesn't really matter though, because the team celebrating in Chattanooga will have the trophy.

Go Bison
October 1st, 2007, 03:37 PM
Interesting scenerio, but i dont care how good NDSU looks throughout the season, whoever can win 4 tough games at the end of the season is without question the best team and deserves the #1 ranking. It doesn't really matter though, because the team celebrating in Chattanooga will have the trophy.

True. No matter what NDSU does there is no way to win the FCS this year. That is a fact.

This is a message board and it is fun to talk about the different scenerios.

TheBisonator
October 1st, 2007, 05:34 PM

No, don't you understand?? UND would win every single FCS game by at least 100 points, and would beat all the Big 10 teams by at least 50!!!xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

TheBisonator
October 1st, 2007, 05:35 PM
1. Wofford
2. Appalachian State
3. Northern Iowa
4. Montana
5. Southern Illinois

I can tell from this list that you have not watched a single play of NDSU football so far this year.

Thundar
October 1st, 2007, 05:45 PM
[QUOTE=TheBisonator;672289]I can tell from this list that you have not watched a single play of NDSU football so far this year.[/QUOTE

looks like he's just stirring the potxcoffeex

No_Skill
October 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM
Just curious Dave, where did you place NDSU in the top 25...if at all?

DuckDuckGriz
October 1st, 2007, 05:48 PM
Bison fans, I thought you'd be a little more wise about DaveK's poll.

Why even respond?

GolfingGriz
October 1st, 2007, 08:28 PM
I can tell from this list that you have not watched a single play of NDSU football so far this year.
Maybe im in the minority, but aside from Montana and their opponents, MSU, and App against michigan i havent seen any other football. Is this rare or is there some place where i can watch other FCS competition?

proasu89
October 1st, 2007, 08:29 PM
Wofford knocks Appy out of the top five this week with a much more convincing beat down on FU than Appy's win over EU. Otherwise not much changes.

So you are saying that FU is better than Elon. Time wil tell.

swaghook
October 1st, 2007, 08:31 PM
check this site more often there are always links to either listen to or even watch games every week.

FargoBison
October 1st, 2007, 08:32 PM
Maybe im in the minority, but aside from Montana and their opponents, MSU, and App against michigan i havent seen any other football. Is this rare or is there some place where i can watch other FCS competition?

Games have been on tv but you just need the right provider and package to get a good amount of games. For example if you have Direct TV and the Sports Pack you will probably get at least 2 or 3 games a week. If you don't have it you can always check Retro's weekly post of FCS TV games and see if you get those channels.

FargoBison
October 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM

Why even respond?

I know, the guy is a troll why give him the reaction he wants.

No_Skill
October 1st, 2007, 08:34 PM
Games have been on tv but you just need the right provider and package to get a good amount of games. For example if you have Direct TV and the Sports Pack you will probably get at least 2 or 3 games a week. If you don't have it you can always check Retro's weekly post of FCS TV games and see if you get those channels.

Yep, I watched the end of the UC Davis - SJSU game and I followed the end of the Montanta - Weber game on ESPN Gametracker and listened via internet.

GolfingGriz
October 1st, 2007, 08:43 PM
check this site more often there are always links to either listen to or even watch games every week.
I guess i dont have enough time to listen to other games, and honestly i could care less how other teams do. i just read up on the next opponent on the griz schedule so this week its EWU.

No_Skill
October 1st, 2007, 08:46 PM
I guess i dont have enough time to listen to other games, and honestly i could care less how other teams do. i just read up on the next opponent on the griz schedule so this week its EWU.

NDSU is the team I live and die by, but I try to catch other games as often as I can.

bjtheflamesfan
October 1st, 2007, 08:47 PM
1) No. Iowa
2) North Dakota State
3) Montana
4) Massachusetts (got to see their band yesterday in Allentown)
5) App State

GolfingGriz
October 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
NDSU is the team I live and die by, but I try to catch other games as often as I can.

Im the same way with the griz and i just try to check the board a few days a week and i guess i miss quite a bit. thats okay because if a team is pretty good i have a feeling the griz might run into them a little later this season.

footballer23
October 2nd, 2007, 12:14 AM

I'm going to go with Southern Illinois... top 10, but not quite top 5.

footballer23
October 2nd, 2007, 12:18 AM

Why even respond?

You raise a good point, but its kinda fun to get him going... I've seen some epics over on siouxsports... of course I wasn't involved in them xrolleyesx

footballer23
October 2nd, 2007, 12:20 AM

Amen.

DaveK
October 2nd, 2007, 02:10 AM
Just curious Dave, where did you place NDSU in the top 25...if at all?

As much as it pains me to admit it, NDSU is a top 10 I-AA team. Although I hate them, I am a realist. I'd love to say they aren't worthy of being ranked in the top 25, but that would be completely irrational and illogical. I refuse to lower myself to that level.

Now, I'm curious. This is for anybody who questions me for leaving them out of the top 5...

Can you tell me with a straight face that there's a team on my top five that can't possibly make a case for being better than NDSU? Just think how foolish would it sound to say "there is absolutely no way that (insert team name here) is better than NDSU"? xconfusedx

I'll stop short of stating that each and every one of those teams are absolutely positively superior to NDSU, but what I'm saying is that a strong case can be made for each and every one of them.

PS - BigApp (page 3, post #26) also left NDSU out of his top 5. Why wasn't he given the same treatment that I received for the very same act? xconfusedx

DaveK
October 2nd, 2007, 02:15 AM

You just seriously disrespected five very good football teams. Although the Bison might be better than some of those teams, it is very debatable. Each one of them could make a strong case for being better than NDSU. Maybe not vastly superios, but at least slightly better. Any objective individual not blinded by green and gold homerism would have to at least admit that much.

TheBisonator
October 2nd, 2007, 11:26 AM
I'd love to say they aren't worthy of being ranked in the top 25, but that would be completely irrational and illogical. I refuse to lower myself to that level.

That is... By far... The MOST HILARIOUS thing I have ever heard you say.

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

AZGrizFan
October 2nd, 2007, 11:30 AM
As much as it pains me to admit it, NDSU is a top 10 I-AA team. Although I hate them, I am a realist. I'd love to say they aren't worthy of being ranked in the top 25, but that would be completely irrational and illogical. I refuse to lower myself to that level.

Since when? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

TheBisonator
October 2nd, 2007, 11:35 AM

I know, I saw that and I was like WTF??xconfusedx

And then I was xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

footballer23
October 2nd, 2007, 01:50 PM

Now, I'm curious. This is for anybody who questions me for leaving them out of the top 5...

Can you tell me with a straight face that there's a team on my top five that can't possibly make a case for being better than NDSU? Just think how foolish would it sound to say "there is absolutely no way that (insert team name here) is better than NDSU"? xconfusedx

I'll stop short of stating that each and every one of those teams are absolutely positively superior to NDSU, but what I'm saying is that a strong case can be made for each and every one of them.

PS - BigApp (page 3, post #26) also left NDSU out of his top 5. Why wasn't he given the same treatment that I received for the very same act? xconfusedx

Although I disagree with that... I have a feeling that he left them out for different reasons... you want to talk about homerism? How are those kelly green and white shaded glasses?

DaveK
October 2nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Although I disagree with that... I have a feeling that he left them out for different reasons... you want to talk about homerism? How are those kelly green and white shaded glasses?

Again... which of my top five teams can you state that NDSU is absolutely positively without a doubt better than, and why didn't anybody give BigApp a hard time for leaving the Bison out of his top five? My guess is I'm being held to a different standard because of my passion for UND Fighting Sioux football. xsmhx

DaveK
October 2nd, 2007, 02:27 PM

Since always. Why would you even question that? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

Gil Dobie
October 2nd, 2007, 03:05 PM
1. Wofford
2. Appalachian State
3. Northern Iowa
4. Montana
5. Southern Illinois

So you think App St is #2 with a great QB on the bench?

If Edwards is playing, #2 would be okay, otherwise this could be a legit top 5 IMO.

Mine is
1. SIU
2. UNI
3. Montana
4. NDSU
5. JMU

Mountain Panther
October 2nd, 2007, 03:06 PM
Mine is
1. SIU
2. UNI

Then you better get to the UNI-Dome on 10/13. xthumbsupx

Gil Dobie
October 2nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
Then you better get to the UNI-Dome on 10/13. xthumbsupx

That game will decide #1 IMO xthumbsupx

Jag4Life
October 3rd, 2007, 06:06 AM
Top 5

1)UNI
2)SIU
3)Montana
4)NDSU
5)SOUTHERN U!!!!!!!! :D

pokum88
October 3rd, 2007, 08:28 AM
UNI
Montana
APP ST
UMASS
MCNEESE

NDSU is not listed because the they can't play for the Champioship. Too bad, it might mean something next year. xbawlingx

lizrdgizrd
October 3rd, 2007, 11:26 AM
My guess is I'm being held to a different standard because of my passion for UND Fighting Sioux football. xsmhx
I think you're being held to a different standard for your passionate hatred of all things NDSU. :D

DaveK
October 3rd, 2007, 11:38 AM
I think you're being held to a different standard for your passionate hatred of all things NDSU. :D

Well, yeah... that's just part of being a hardcore Fighting Sioux fan. UND is to NDSU what Alabama is to Auburn. If you love one, then by definition you automatically hate the other. If you don't hate the Bison you aren't a real Sioux fan, and if you don't hate the Sioux you aren't a real Bison fan. That's why they call it a rivalry.

But getting back to the point... there is no question that each of the teams I ranked in the top five of I-AA can make a strong case for being better than NDSU. And that has nothing to do with what team I love and what team I love to hate.

Grizzaholic
October 3rd, 2007, 12:17 PM
For all of the 280 threads about how Montana is soft, their SOS is horrible, they barely beat Weber St., blah blah blah I am pretty surprised most of you had Montana in your top 5.

Black Saturday
October 3rd, 2007, 12:21 PM
1. UNI
2. WOFFORD
3. UMass
4. McNeese
5. SIU

98chev
October 3rd, 2007, 12:32 PM
my top five is as follows:
1) North Dakota St.
2)Northern Iowa
3)Massachusetts
4)Wafford
5)Montana

And I agree How can you have a playoff with your number one placed team, assuming things go the way it looks right now.

Purple Knight
October 3rd, 2007, 12:33 PM
1 NDSU
2 SIU
3 Mass
4 JMU
5 UNI

drpnut
October 3rd, 2007, 02:48 PM
Let's look into the future. I've been watching the thread and seeing a lot of speculation about Montana's seed. Here are a few of my thoughts about the top four seeds.

If Wofford wins out, they probably would deserve a top 2 seed, but most likely would get the 3 or 4 with a 10-1 record.

It appears that the CAA will be won by a team with at least two defeats, so they may not get a seed.

Whoever comes out of the Gateway, especially if UNI runs the table will probably be the number 1 seed.

Montana will probably be no higher than 2, could even go as low as 4. That is if they win out. I'm not sure at 10-1, you could give them a seed over 10-1 Appy State.

It will be an interesting 5-6 weeks as teams in each conference try to be at-large bids.

CAA-- 2 or 3
SoCon- 2 or 3
Gateway-3
Big Sky- 2
MEAC-1
Patriot-1
OVC- 2
Great West- 1 (maybe)
Southland-1

Final 4-- App State, Wofford, UNI, James Madison

Peace out

DaveK
October 3rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
1. UNI
2. WOFFORD
3. UMass
4. McNeese
5. SIU

Uh-oh, you left NDSU out of your top 5. Now we'll have to deal with a bunch of Bison zealots telling you about your glaring omission...

Oh wait, nevermind. They only do that to UND fans who leave NDSU out of the top 5. xlolx

Grizzaholic
October 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Uh-oh, you left NDSU out of your top 5. Now we'll have to deal with a bunch of Bison zealots telling you about your glaring omission...

Oh wait, nevermind. They only do that to UND fans who leave NDSU out of the top 5. xlolx

You can't forget Montana fans. Even Bobcat fans, leading up to The Brawl of the Wild, don't treat Griz fans as bad as NDSU fans do.

DaveK
October 3rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
You can't forget Montana fans. Even Bobcat fans, leading up to The Brawl of the Wild, don't treat Griz fans as bad as NDSU fans do.

Hmmm... let me guess, they're bitter about not getting into the Big Sky and taking it out on fans of the best team in the Big Sky?

That's probably a reach, but I can't imagine what they would have against Montana. It's not like you guys beat them and ran the score up or anything like that.

Being that they actually beat you guys when they were still in D2... you'd think they would treat you with the same respect that I have for Northern Iowa, but Bison fans are a different breed.

BisonBacker
October 3rd, 2007, 04:52 PM

You know a few Bison fans along with a ton of other fans question your schedule and you guys whine like little third graders about it. xbawlingx xbawlingx I've quit debating your schedule but you need to get over the xbawlingx and move on to your team. If they are as good as you say you will have the last laugh while we will be sitting at home right? Time to move onxcoffeex

mebisonII
October 3rd, 2007, 05:20 PM
You know a few Bison fans along with a ton of other fans question your schedule and you guys whine like little third graders about it. xbawlingx xbawlingx I've quit debating your schedule but you need to get over the xbawlingx and move on to your team. If they are as good as you say you will have the last laugh while we will be sitting at home right? Time to move onxcoffeex

xthumbsupx

No_Skill
October 3rd, 2007, 05:29 PM
I'm so sick of this crap. Keep it to the smack threads.

Gil Dobie
October 3rd, 2007, 07:52 PM
Well, yeah... that's just part of being a hardcore Fighting Sioux fan. UND is to NDSU what Alabama is to Auburn. If you love one, then by definition you automatically hate the other. If you don't hate the Bison you aren't a real Sioux fan, and if you don't hate the Sioux you aren't a real Bison fan. That's why they call it a rivalry.

Not true xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

I have family and friends that go to UND. I cheer against UND, but I don't hate them, competition is fun if you don't get obsessed. Those are the people that end up on the field fighting with their kids coaches or youth referee's. There's enough hate in this world without hating your neighbor. xthumbsupx

ncman071
October 3rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
my top five: 1. Appalachian State, 2. Montana 3. NDState 4. UNI 5. Wofford

GeauxColonels
October 3rd, 2007, 09:10 PM
GeauxColonels' top 5 for Week 5:
[1] North Dakota St.
[2] Montana
[3] Southern Illinois
[4] Northern Iowa
[5] Wofford

BigApp
October 3rd, 2007, 09:17 PM

DirecTV SportsPackage! from noon Eastern until midnight (and sometime later, if PSU is on late) you can see an FCS game every Saturday (usually)

igo4uni
October 3rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
my top five: 1. Appalachian State, 2. Montana 3. NDState 4. UNI 5. Wofford

Sure, UNI is undefeated and Appy has lost to an FCS team............makes total sense.

74AppState
October 3rd, 2007, 09:42 PM
ASU is just not a top 5 team right now. Hoping that will change.

igo4uni
October 3rd, 2007, 09:50 PM
ASU is just not a top 5 team right now. Hoping that will change.

We'll See, won't we???

xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

GolfingGriz
October 3rd, 2007, 10:09 PM
DirecTV SportsPackage! from noon Eastern until midnight (and sometime later, if PSU is on late) you can see an FCS game every Saturday (usually)

Thanks BigApp Ill look into it.xthumbsupx

VT Wildcat Fan53
October 3rd, 2007, 10:47 PM
1. UNI
2. NDSU
3. UMASS
4. App State
5. JMU (these guys are really good!)

Sorry, Grizz, but, early on this season, you are actually #7 behind Wofford, ... but, then again, that's what makes December so much fun!

bison gameday
October 4th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Dave K for being such a die hard UND fan you do spend a whole lot of time talking about the bison. Very uneducted on the subject manner too - must be watching too much D2 football "The University of North Dakota... are the biggest athletic act in the state."...
i am confused with this quote you have because why arent those games the ones getting the tv airtime across the state north dakota then

I also see you're location is in Fargo (home of ndsu)... why not the great community of Grand Forks where the interstate speed limit doesnt even slow down as if trying to get you out of city limits as quickly as possible

Grizaholic17
October 4th, 2007, 12:06 AM
Oh, Let's see. I think my top 5 goes something like this...

1. Montana
2. UNI
3. NSDU
4. UMass
5. Appy

I wonder why?? Maybe because that's what it IS!!!!!

DaveK
October 4th, 2007, 02:48 AM
Not true xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

I have family and friends that go to UND. I cheer against UND, but I don't hate them, competition is fun if you don't get obsessed. Those are the people that end up on the field fighting with their kids coaches or youth referee's. There's enough hate in this world without hating your neighbor. xthumbsupx

Just for the sake of clarification here...

Hate the team as whole, not the individual people who make up the team.

From a sports fan's perspective, cheering against a team = hating that team.

JBB
October 4th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Jeff Kolpack, sports writer for the Fargo Forum has The BISON ranked #1 for much the same reasons I do. Toughest schedule and they are playing the best ball.

I dont know if its true, but it might be right?

asu70
October 4th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Sure, UNI is undefeated and Appy has lost to an FCS team............makes total sense.

By sos, UNI should be number one until someone beats them!

UNI
NDSU
UM
WC
ASU