PDA

View Full Version : Lehigh 20, Harvard 13

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2007, 09:02 PM
Was at this game, met ngineer and thought it was an incredible game. Wrote a off-the-cuff recap here:

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 29th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Today was a big win for Lehigh. A 3-1 September is 10x better than the 1-3 one last year. The biggest thing i take away from today is the way the special teams and defense stepped up. Last year that simply didn't happen which was the main reason Lehigh lost so many close games. There is still a lot of work to be done. The biggest thing is finishing off drives. Lehigh's offense leaves way too many points on the field still. They have to learn to execute when they get in the red zone. Right now this is a solid team that is so close to putting it together but still hasn't. Until they do they'll probably lose one game they shouldn't. Next week will be an interesting test. Fordham is improved but i still think they've played some shakey teams. Colgate has issues.

Lehigh74
September 29th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I don't understand the lack of commitment to the running game. Coen made no effort to run the ball all day. This made our offense one dimensional. We needed to do something to slow down the rush. Harvard blitzed and pressured Sedale without having to concern itself with the run.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 29th, 2007, 09:22 PM
I don't understand the lack of commitment to the running game. Coen made no effort to run the ball all day. This made our offense one dimensional. We needed to do something to slow down the rush. Harvard blitzed and pressured Sedale without having to concern itself with the run.

Absolutely correct which is why Lehigh struggles in the redzone. When the field shortens the passing lanes tighen up which slows the Lehigh 'O. If they ran, which they've shown the ability to, it would open things up a little bit. You must be able to run the ball in order to win in the northeast in late October and November.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 29th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Actually, Lehigh didn't get a heck of a lot going offensively at all: 28 passes vs. 24 rushes. And rushing wasn't effective on wither side: Lehigh got 2.3 per rush and Harvard got 2.6 yards per rush.

What shouldn't be underestimated was Leo's punting, which routinely gave us a first down whenever Lehigh traded punts with Harvard. I am gung-ho about the rugby punting.

Coach Coen was a very happy man in the press conference.

ngineer
September 29th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Yes I was at the game, and it certainly ranked up there with one of the more exciting games in recent history with Lehigh's defense coming up with an incredible block of an easy Harvard field goal attempt in the fourth quarter and then sacking the QB in the last minute with the score tied to cause the fumble and score. However, Harvard still had time and 3 timeouts to move to midfield and hit a razzle-dazzle modified 'hook and lateral' with a second lateral attempt that ended up on the ground around the Lehigh 15.

The offense had great field position throughout the game, thanks in part to tremendous punting of Leo and the D holding the Crimson in check. But a fumble at the Harvard 6, two dropped passes that were sure touchdowns. left too many points on the table. Harvard's line is big and strong, and Lehigh struggled offensively with serious pressure on Threatt most of the game.

Special teams were the key. A 51-yard punt return for TD by Thomas in the first quarter, 2/3 field goals by Leo (one a 40 yarder) in a tricky wind, and Leo's tremendous punting (yes one shank, but seven stellar ones), the blocked field goal.

Things don't get easier, either, as we heard the Fordham score. Will be making the trip to the Bronx as the PL season opens for the Brown & White. Got to finally meet LFN as well.

LehighFan11
September 29th, 2007, 10:08 PM
Actually, Lehigh didn't get a heck of a lot going offensively at all: 28 passes vs. 24 rushes. And rushing wasn't effective on wither side: Lehigh got 2.3 per rush and Harvard got 2.6 yards per rush.

What shouldn't be underestimated was Leo's punting, which routinely gave us a first down whenever Lehigh traded punts with Harvard. I am gung-ho about the rugby punting.

Coach Coen was a very happy man in the press conference.

First of all i would like to say great game by the defense and the special teams. Lehigh really needed to win that game and just maybe that will jump start them into the PL. I absolutely hate the new punting style by jason leo. I know it has turned out GREAT results thus far but im on record saying Lehigh will lose a game beacuse of this punting style. There are two huge downsides to this style. 1. easily blocked by sending a corner off the corner (harvard sent one of the 3 guys covering the gunners int he 3rd qaurter and leo rolled right into him and it was almost blocked. 2. If leo hits a low line drive punt to the opposite side of the coverage its an automatic touchdown. If this punting style works all year i will admit i was wrong but I dont like it. None of the major successful fbs teams do it other than west virginia. I'm not sure what was wrong with Sedale today but he better work it out by next saturday.

carney2
September 29th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Up high on the Harvard side (all Lehigh people around me; the unbelievably small contingent of Johns was down low, behind the bench) the consensus seemed to be that this was a lackluster affair with an exciting ending. One guy with a Lehigh shirt and hat announced to all that "they both deserve to lose." You have to admit that you don't win many games when you score zero offensive touchdowns and lose the time of possession battle by 17 minutes. Still, I'm loving a win by a Patsy over an Ivy. A beautiful day, a nice crowd, and college football: who could ask for more?

carney2
September 29th, 2007, 10:18 PM
I absolutely hate the new punting style by jason leo. I know it has turned out GREAT results thus far but im on record saying Lehigh will lose a game beacuse of this punting style. There are two huge downsides to this style. 1. easily blocked by sending a corner off the corner (harvard sent one of the 3 guys covering the gunners int he 3rd qaurter and leo rolled right into him and it was almost blocked. 2. If leo hits a low line drive punt to the opposite side of the coverage its an automatic touchdown. If this punting style works all year i will admit i was wrong but I dont like it. None of the major successful fbs teams do it other than west virginia.

Try number 3, and I think we saw it today: since he is running with the ball before kicking it, all bets are off for roughing the kicker. That gives the defense another advantage because they do not have to worry about their angle or making contact. They can be more aggressive.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 30th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Sunday's Word is out: it's Miracle. I happen to think "Miracle" is too strong a word to use, but it tails into my "word". Read the post to see why.

http://lehighfootballnation.blogspot.com

Lehigh Football Nation
October 1st, 2007, 10:50 AM
First of all i would like to say great game by the defense and the special teams. Lehigh really needed to win that game and just maybe that will jump start them into the PL. I absolutely hate the new punting style by jason leo. I know it has turned out GREAT results thus far but im on record saying Lehigh will lose a game beacuse of this punting style. There are two huge downsides to this style. 1. easily blocked by sending a corner off the corner (harvard sent one of the 3 guys covering the gunners int he 3rd qaurter and leo rolled right into him and it was almost blocked. 2. If leo hits a low line drive punt to the opposite side of the coverage its an automatic touchdown. If this punting style works all year i will admit i was wrong but I dont like it. None of the major successful fbs teams do it other than west virginia. I'm not sure what was wrong with Sedale today but he better work it out by next saturday.

I was a bit dubious about the punting style at first, but I must say I'm a believer in it now. I think the weaknesses you're describing could be offset by a little tweak here or there (like every one in a while just drop-punting it from the rugby formation). I think Leo's punting was a big reason why Harvard was pinned all day: three of those eight punts were downed inside the 6, and I think all three punts were over 40 yards! And the rugby punt means that the ball generally bounces towards the end zone, not backwards.

If there's an issue I have about it is that it puts a very big responsibility on the coverage team to be cognizant as to where the football is. I think in every game this year the ball has come close to hitting members of the coverage team or actually has hit a coverage team member after the punt. Ironically it's because the extra time means the coverage is further downfield.