PDA

View Full Version : Major I-AA "Classic" Postponed

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2005, 08:00 PM
Ralph, all the SWAC fans and I-AA folks we got on these boards, Texas Southern (funny, I was just there around 3 PM and they were not shutting up about this game) and PV A&M are shutting down this game.

I and everyone else got told by the Houston media it was because they cancelled all events at Reliant Park through Sept 30th. Could they have not moved this game to another venue? I think they would have been fine ticket-wise.
-------
Football: Game Postponed
September 2

Texas Southern University and Prairie View A&M announced that the Labor Day Classic will not be played on Saturday, September 3rd as scheduled. The game was postponed in respect for the displaced victims of Hurricane Katrina.

FEMA is using Reliant Park as a shelter for the victims left homeless from the storm, and all Reliant’s resources are being used to help the people in need.

Texas Southern University Athletics Director, Alois Blackwell says, “We understand and sympathize with the victims of Hurricane Katrina. We believe that it is only right that we postpone the game.”

Prairie View A&M Athletics Director, Charles McClelland says, “Our prayers go out to each and every family involved. We have student-athletes who were affected by the Hurricane, so we definitely have a personal connection to this tragedy. We feel that rescheduling the game was the right thing to do.”

JALMOND
September 2nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
My heart goes out to all those displaced by the hurricane, but I find it interesting to say the least that Reliant officials let the Oregon/Houston game go on as scheduled, yet cancelled the Texas Southern/Prairie View game. Quite possibly they did not want to lose the revenue generated by having the game played on ESPN2.

DFW HOYA
September 2nd, 2005, 09:11 PM
Rice Stadium is available for the next three weeks.

SUjagTILLiDIE
September 2nd, 2005, 11:02 PM
My heart goes out to all those displaced by the hurricane, but I find it interesting to say the least that Reliant officials let the Oregon/Houston game go on as scheduled, yet cancelled the Texas Southern/Prairie View game. Quite possibly they did not want to lose the revenue generated by having the game played on ESPN2.
According to some Houston folks that post on the swacpage there were up to 20 carjackings after the Houston/Oregon game. Its a matter of security.

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2005, 08:25 AM
Rice Stadium is available for the next three weeks.

The AD from Tx Southern said Rice and UH had not had their facilities ready to host a game which inluded things such as concession issues and areas involving communication (telephone capabilities). What the heck? I can understand gathering a concession crew this late, but telephone issues? Rice was probably ready to host the game and I am sure UH was too.

TxSo and PVAMU just want some money out of this game. Simple as that. Crowds haven't been so electric in recent years, so they need every $$$ they can from concessions. Sucks for the fans if the game doesn't take place at Reliant. Those ticket prices are high if they play at Rice or Robertson (UH).

Retro
September 3rd, 2005, 11:02 AM
According to some Houston folks that post on the swacpage there were up to 20 carjackings after the Houston/Oregon game. Its a matter of security.

I suspect all these are just rumors! The same rumors circulated in Lake Charles and Lafayette because of evacuees, but were proved false... I've watched some news out of houston and they have said nothing about this and in fact have said that the situation there at the dome and area around it is very orderly and calm despite the 1,000s taking refuge there.

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2005, 12:54 PM
I'm hearing there are some people who feel uncomfortable in the media. Volunteers saying they stay away from certain folks and say the folks in the 'Dome do as well (groups of young men), but I don't blame them when your jammed in there and some folks look suspicious, cause you don't know anyone in there...

Reports out of Huntsville that a Walmart had some cars damaged and a McDonalds ransacked. Not sure to believe those or not. Heard it from a Sam student, so maybe just rumor until confirmed...