PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on App State vs. Elon

AlphaSigMD
September 28th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I personally cannot wait to listen to this game.

Both App State and Elon are going to head into Rhodes Stadium and try to make a statement. The Pheonix appear to be greatly improved this year. They have a frosh QB who's been prolific during the first few weeks. They even hung with a very good No. 18 South Florida team who is currently beating West Virginia by 11 at halftime. (P.S. they only led Elon by 4 at the half.) They also have one bigtime receiver and one slightly less big but still pretty darn good receiver who are a constant threat to go into the secondary. What they don't have though is an established running game, which appears to be the place where ASU has a question mark. Also, while the defense stood up well against South Florida, teams like west VA wesley and liberty don't really provide a great deal of insight into the true nature of Elon's defense. So, they could potentially be quite the stud offense, or they could be moderate, or they could be (and less likely) disasterous.

ASU is still licking its wounds, and hopefully is a team that is fired up from the salty-metallic taste of defeat. The loss to wofford wasn't an embaressment, but after being the darling of the FCS since...well...since that loss at Furman back in 2005, any change from the status quo is ego-dystonic. I doubt Armanti will start, which means that once again the ball will go to Trey Elder's "jekyll and hyde"-like hands. When Elder is on...he is on. He's came up big for us against Texas State as a frosh, in the national semi's against Furman in 2005 as a soph. But when he's bad, he's suspect at best. He lacks the break-away step and elusivity that often gets armanti his yards. That being said, I still believe he's better than 95% of QB's in the nation...and hopefully we can tailor the offense to his strengths better this week than in the 2nd half last week. If he struggles though, I would not be surprised to see Armanti injected to the line up. The defense figure's to be tip top, considering the criticism from last week's game, and due to Elon's suspect running game. The secondary will also match up well with Elon's receivers, having had plenty of experience with good recievers on teams such as Northern Arizona and Michigan.

So what now? Does ASU get back on its road to the playoffs with a win? Does Elon expose ASU's weaknesses, and throw the entire FCS in a Notre Dame-esque maelstrom of venom and doubt? My pick is the former. ASU is going to come into the game with renewed level of focus and a chip on their shoulder. Elon will be playing for pride and integrity, and they certainly will represent themselves well this saturday. They will fall short on the scoreboard, but they will show they have had made significant strides in recent years, and that Pete Lembo was a gem of a hire as head coach.

james_lawfirm
September 28th, 2007, 10:11 PM
I personally cannot wait to listen to this game.

Both App State and Elon are going to head into Rhodes Stadium and try to make a statement. The Pheonix appear to be greatly improved this year. They have a frosh QB who's been prolific during the first few weeks. They even hung with a very good No. 18 South Florida team who is currently beating West Virginia by 11 at halftime. (P.S. they only led Elon by 4 at the half.) They also have one bigtime receiver and one slightly less big but still pretty darn good receiver who are a constant threat to go into the secondary. What they don't have though is an established running game, which appears to be the place where ASU has a question mark. Also, while the defense stood up well against South Florida, teams like west VA wesley and liberty don't really provide a great deal of insight into the true nature of Elon's defense. So, they could potentially be quite the stud offense, or they could be moderate, or they could be (and less likely) disasterous.

ASU is still licking its wounds, and hopefully is a team that is fired up from the salty-metallic taste of defeat. The loss to wofford wasn't an embaressment, but after being the darling of the FCS since...well...since that loss at Furman back in 2005, any change from the status quo is ego-dystonic. I doubt Armanti will start, which means that once again the ball will go to Trey Elder's "jekyll and hyde"-like hands. When Elder is on...he is on. He's came up big for us against Texas State as a frosh, in the national semi's against Furman in 2005 as a soph. But when he's bad, he's suspect at best. He lacks the break-away step and elusivity that often gets armanti his yards. That being said, I still believe he's better than 95% of QB's in the nation...and hopefully we can tailor the offense to his strengths better this week than in the 2nd half last week. If he struggles though, I would not be surprised to see Armanti injected to the line up. The defense figure's to be tip top, considering the criticism from last week's game, and due to Elon's suspect running game. The secondary will also match up well with Elon's receivers, having had plenty of experience with good recievers on teams such as Northern Arizona and Michigan.

So what now? Does ASU get back on its road to the playoffs with a win? Does Elon expose ASU's weaknesses, and throw the entire FCS in a Notre Dame-esque maelstrom of venom and doubt? My pick is the former. ASU is going to come into the game with renewed level of focus and a chip on their shoulder. Elon will be playing for pride and integrity, and they certainly will represent themselves well this saturday. They will fall short on the scoreboard, but they will show they have had made significant strides in recent years, and that Pete Lembo was a gem of a hire as head coach.

Great post. But, what the hell does ego-dystonic mean? Is that like being auto-panegyric, only different? The administrators here on AGS have banned posters for life for using words like that (right after they look it up in Webster's). That word, ego-dystonic, is illegal in most parts of this state.

Also, Elder is not Jekyll & Hyde-ish. He's a darn good QB in his own right. He has a better and more accurate arm than Armanti (in fact he's THE MOST ACCURATE passer in FCS football). He's only lost 1 game as a starter as I recall (that to NC State) in which everyone played like it was a Chinese fire drill (even NC State). One would think that to score 31 points ought to be enough to win. I have heard numerous posters say that he cannot run like Armanti. That may be true, but from what I read, Elder is ACTUALLY FASTER than Armanti in the 40 yd. dash.

I think it's App's defense that needs to step up.

And I think they will. I recall what Lou Holtz said right after the Michigan game. "ASU won because they know how to win." To a man, the Mountaineers will not like that loss last week. You will see some inspired football down at Elon.

I predict 35 - 17 ASU, in a game that is over early.

ElonPride
September 28th, 2007, 10:20 PM
USF just beat WVU.

Saint3333
September 29th, 2007, 11:15 AM
The key to the game is ASU's defense, especially d-line.

Sounds like a good crowd on the radio - whoever predicted a disappointing ticket sells from ASU is eating some crow.

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Great post. But, what the hell does ego-dystonic mean? Is that like being auto-panegyric, only different? The administrators here on AGS have banned posters for life for using words like that (right after they look it up in Webster's). That word, ego-dystonic, is illegal in most parts of this state.

Also, Elder is not Jekyll & Hyde-ish. He's a darn good QB in his own right. He has a better and more accurate arm than Armanti (in fact he's THE MOST ACCURATE passer in FCS football). He's only lost 1 game as a starter as I recall (that to NC State) in which everyone played like it was a Chinese fire drill (even NC State). One would think that to score 31 points ought to be enough to win. I have heard numerous posters say that he cannot run like Armanti. That may be true, but from what I read, Elder is ACTUALLY FASTER than Armanti in the 40 yd. dash.

And I think they will. I recall what Lou Holtz said right after the Michigan game. "ASU won because they know how to win." To a man, the Mountaineers will not like that loss last week. You will see some inspired football down at Elon.

Ego-Dystonic in the non-websters sense: it's pretty much an idea, obsession or clash with reality thats causes one a certain degree of mental discomfort. Usually people employ defense mechanisms against this discomfort to variable degrees of success.

However, picking ASU to win this weekend: very Ego-Syntonic. xthumbsupx

mountaineertider
September 29th, 2007, 01:21 PM

I'm still waiting for that inspired play. This is ridiculous. Usually I only get mad during Alabama games, as they are the ones that usually let me down.

And as I type this Elder gets picked off

AppStateSVX
September 29th, 2007, 01:24 PM
yes, this is ridiculous. App defense needs to step it up. How bad is Armanti's injury?

mountaineertider
September 29th, 2007, 01:26 PM
What the girlfriend heard from a football player in her math class was that something is wrong with his left rotator cuff. They won't say much out of the locker room though.

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah, the defense is really not making a good showing today. One would have thought that the loss would have lit a fire under them...but maybe not?

We need to play better.

mountaineertider
September 29th, 2007, 01:41 PM
It sounds like we haven't gotten any pressure on Riddle all day. We need a sack bad. It sounds like he could have his mom tuck him in and read him a bed time story before anyone on the line gets to him.

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Well atleast special teams is playing well. Block leads to a TD!

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 01:46 PM
It sounds like we haven't gotten any pressure on Riddle all day. We need a sack bad. It sounds like he could have his mom tuck him in and read him a bed time story before anyone on the line gets to him.

Agreed..we need to send all of our blitz packages at him, mix it up and rattle him a little bit. This kid's a freshman. A VERY good freshman, but still, a few hits and he's not gonna be as composed.

Mr. C
September 29th, 2007, 02:04 PM

As much as I like Trey Elder, I wouldn't call him the most accurate passer in FCS. I am watching that guy right now. Eric Sanders of Northern Iowa is completing 80% of his passes this season and has always been one of the most efficient ones around.

On Elder, he isn't ASU's problem right now. Folks should be glad they have a back-up who is among the top 20 QBs in FCS.

AppMountaineer13
September 29th, 2007, 02:04 PM
It seems like the defense settled in there towards the end of the half.. I would expect more of the same in the 2nd half.. after a shaky start i really felt like we came out of the half with the momentum.

mountaineertider
September 29th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Finally got some pressure on him and we stopped the Phoenix stopped moving all over us. Maybe, as usual, Corey Lynch got the boys fired up finally.

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 02:12 PM
Agreed. It remains to be seen how well they will be able to keep up the D in the 2nd half...its good that ASU gets the ball first though, in order to put the pressure on Elon's D early.

AppMountaineer13
September 29th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Exactly -- we don't seem to be having many problems moving the ball -- it seems like we're making mistakes (penalties) that are giving us trouble sustaining drives, but our OL has been dominant so far imo

T-Dog
September 29th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Corey Lynch INT in the endzone. "He took it right out of his hands". Big play there.

mountaineertider
September 29th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Corey Lynch saves the day again.

We're gonna miss him next season.

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Corey Lynch is still playing very big though. Big Time INT takes away an Elon TD. Wow.

No time to think about next season now, but he's certainly given a great deal to ASU with his presence on the field!

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM
Turnovers and penalties are killing us....killing us...

mountaineertider
September 29th, 2007, 02:40 PM
True, true. The defense has really stepped it up in the second half, Tim Washington has played extremely well, I've heard his name a lot.

ERASU2113
September 29th, 2007, 02:41 PM
Riddle is going to be an amazing quarterback in a year or two

mountaineertider
September 29th, 2007, 02:42 PM
Does anyone have a count of how many penalties we have so far today? It seems like we are getting one every drive.

jonmac
September 29th, 2007, 02:46 PM
8 for 70 I beleive is what David just said.

T-Dog
September 29th, 2007, 03:24 PM
Trey Elder is hurt but back in.

AppStateSVX
September 29th, 2007, 03:26 PM
geeze. injuries kill us

Mr. C
September 29th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Any updates on the game situation? Who has the ball? Where on the field?

ERASU2113
September 29th, 2007, 03:28 PM
A hurt Elder is better than Hunter Stewart or Chase Laws.

AppStateSVX
September 29th, 2007, 03:28 PM
I think Coco Hilary is the backup to Elder......i'd kind of like to see him in action sometime

Mr. C
September 29th, 2007, 03:30 PM
I was told before the season that Laws would be back as the backup if anything happened to Edwards or Elder. It would be hard to expect Hillary to run at QB when he hasn't been at QB since preseason 2006.

AppStateSVX
September 29th, 2007, 03:30 PM
TOUCHDOOOWWNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!! PAT is good!!!

gooooo APP!!!!!!!!!!

AppStateSVX
September 29th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I was told before the season that Laws would be back as the backup if anything happened to Edwards or Elder.

idk, he has been in other games. But on the radio just now they said that Coco is Trey's new backup

dungeonjoe
35-24 App

james_lawfirm
ASU just got a TD, up by 11.

DON'T kick it to Elon's return guy again!!!

Mr. C
September 29th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Updates? Anyone?

T-Dog
35-24, 5 min left.

dungeonjoe
http://org.elon.edu/athletics/stats/livestats/fb/xlive.htm?DB_OEM_ID=4000

ERASU2113
September 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Forgot CoCo came in as a QB.

At the fan fest Stewart was the third string....but App is better with Coco

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM
What was the 2nd runback? My internet died?

T-Dog
September 29th, 2007, 03:34 PM
App forces INT, Titua Howard TD for App! Ballgame!

james_lawfirm
Interception for a TD for Titus Howard!!

Ballgame.

AppStateSVX
wooooot!!! INT to TD!!!!!!!!

Mr. C
How did they score (on the previous TD)? Some of us don't have any access to anything else.

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Wow

T-Dog
Pressure on Elon QB, threw INT to Howard, ran it back.

42-24 App now.

AlphaSigMD
ASU 42 - elon 24

ERASU2113
September 29th, 2007, 03:36 PM
42-24 Titus Howard INT for ASU TD

AppStateSVX
let's look to next week now. It seems that the announcers are saying that Trey injured his ankle...........

SirApp
How did they score (on the previous TD)? Some of us don't have any access to anything else.

1yd TD by Richardson....pretty good drive by ASU.

T-Dog
September 29th, 2007, 03:37 PM

K-Rich 1-yard TD run.

ERASU2113
September 29th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Finally Richardson had his breakout game...24 rushes 143 yards 1 td

Wonderin when he would have his breakout game .....ASU needed it.

SirApp
September 29th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Elon TD

Going for 2.....

T-Dog
September 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
TD Elon.

2PC is good.

42-32 App

SirApp
September 29th, 2007, 03:41 PM
2 pt good

42-32....

ERASU2113
September 29th, 2007, 03:42 PM
It's Gardner Webb at home for homecoming....we destroyed them last year....doesn't worry me at all.

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Interesting to see who comes in at QB

TheRock21
September 29th, 2007, 03:44 PM
Well I've come to the conclusion that you are going to have to outscore us to beat us xrolleyesx

ERASU2113
September 29th, 2007, 03:46 PM
Is CoCo at QB?

AppStateSVX
elder in at QB.

ASU TD!

T-Dog
Elder still in.

Dexter Jackson TD run.

49-32 App

ERASU2113
TD Dexter Jackson 49-32!

ERASU2113
September 29th, 2007, 03:47 PM
OK.....28 points in the 4th after only 21 in the first three quaters....the offense finally come alive?

T-Dog
September 29th, 2007, 03:48 PM
43 total points in the 4th quarter.

AppStateSVX
September 29th, 2007, 03:48 PM
wore out the Elon defense i guess

T-Dog
September 29th, 2007, 03:49 PM
350 yards of rushing will do that.

AppStateSVX
September 29th, 2007, 03:51 PM
good job Apps. let's lockdown that defense though........geeze

AppMountaineer13
September 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM
You've got to think that we aren't quite where we need to be yet, but have a positive showing to build on, and shouldn't have too much of a problem with GW heading into the SoCon grind

SirApp
September 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Time to insert Washington into a starting role. His number was being called all day today.

ERASU2113
September 29th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Two weeks before the SoCon grind gets here.....

GW then off. Should get some guys healthy and ready for Ga Southern on Oct. 20

T-Dog
September 29th, 2007, 04:01 PM
You've got to think that we aren't quite where we need to be yet, but have a positive showing to build on, and shouldn't have too much of a problem with GW heading into the SoCon grind

Not to mention the BYE after next week before GaSo comes to Boone.

mountaineertider
September 29th, 2007, 04:02 PM
This should be a growing experience. It's like Nick Saban said when Alabama beat Arkansas, I'm glad we won, but I hope we're mature enough to see there's plenty to work on for next week

That's not to take away from the win today. It was a dogfight, and it's good to see we can not only blow teams out but win the close ones and pull away.

SirApp
September 29th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Not to mention the BYE after next week before GaSo comes to Boone.

Agreed, I'm liking the way our schedule is panning out. Getting some people healthy before the grind. Working out some of the chinks in the armor.

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 04:05 PM
We will need to get better on defense. Elon has a good offense, but still, our defense needs to step it up bigtime in order to make another run in the SoCon and playoffs.

ElonPride
September 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM
We will need to get better on defense. Elon has a good offense, but still, our defense needs to step it up bigtime in order to make another run in the SoCon and playoffs.

After a HUGE 1st quarter, your defense looked to settle down.

Even though Riddle threw for over 300 yards again, you really tightened up and took him off his game.

Time to move onto WCU!

AlphaSigMD
September 29th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Yeah I was very impressed with Elon today, i think that riddle is gonna be a hell of a player and accomplish a LOT before he leaves Elon!

Saint3333
September 29th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I am impressed with Riddle (Elon's QB). I'm disappointed how our defense came out flat, but Tim Washington is looking like a solid replacement for Murrell at DE.

I was also disappointed with the refs, bad on both sides of the ball. Our special teams weren't great, not sure why we kicked the ball to that kid after his first good runback.

It was a sloppy game with lots of penalties and turnovers, but I'll take the win.

Elon's offense is solid and will put up a lot of points in the SoCon, if their defense can grow up quick they could finish 4th in the league.

ERASU2113
September 29th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I knew Riddle was good but I was scared of Hudgins. He's been tearing it up lately. Kept him quiet but let Riddle go to work. I'll let one do good while keeping another silent.

ElonPride
September 29th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I am impressed with Riddle (Elon's QB). I'm disappointed how our defense came out flat, but Tim Washington is looking like a solid replacement for Murrell at DE.

I was also disappointed with the refs, bad on both sides of the ball. Our special teams weren't great, not sure why we kicked the ball to that kid after his first good runback.

It was a sloppy game with lots of penalties and turnovers, but I'll take the win.

Elon's offense is solid and will put up a lot of points in the SoCon, if their defense can grow up quick they could finish 4th in the league.

You guys shut down our offense, so we had to find another way to score. It ended up being speical teams. We were toe to toe with App, then things got crazy midway through the 4th!!!

You're right though, if our defense can grow, we'll have a good ball club on our hands.

Its good to see most of the SoCon is really growing.

ASU88
September 29th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Just got back from the game. Great crowd! Elon brought a lot of spirit to this game and the team soaked it up and made a nice showing. Very nice place to see a game, though I wasn't sure if I was at Rhodes Stadium or McKinney Field.

Glad to get out of there with a win! :)

ERASU2113
September 29th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Yea, Elon you guys have a great QB and you have him for 3 1/2 years still. Couple of years, you guys will be a force to be reckoned with

ASU88
September 29th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Not much defense in that 4th quarter. ASU scored 28 (well ... 1 TD was an int return) and Elon scored 15.

43 points in 15 minutes!

AppMountaineer13
September 29th, 2007, 05:49 PM
I came away from the game thinking that Elon was really a lot better now than maybe I gave them credit for, although they're still a year away.. I can't of too many teams in the SoCon that will be able to hang with them once Riddle has a full offseason to get better.

james_lawfirm
September 29th, 2007, 05:51 PM
Well I've come to the conclusion that you are going to have to outscore us to beat us xrolleyesx

Duh!xlolx

ASUG8
September 29th, 2007, 06:26 PM
Big concern here - we had a hard time containing Wofford's running game, and also had a hard time with Elon's passing game - are we a "shootout" team, or do we have a defensive strength (besides special teams)?

ravinggoat
September 29th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Big concern here - we had a hard time containing Wofford's running game, and also had a hard time with Elon's passing game - are we a "shootout" team, or do we have a defensive strength (besides special teams)?

Overall in Division 1, Wofford is top 5 in the country in rushing and Elon top 10 in passing (both yards per game). That's including BCS and FCS schools.

youwouldno
September 29th, 2007, 06:37 PM
It will hurt Elon when Mayers graduates after this season. He's the real deal. Hudgins is only a Soph. though and he's nasty too.

ASUG8
September 29th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Overall in Division 1, Wofford is top 5 in the country in rushing and Elon top 10 in passing (both yards per game). That's including BCS and FCS schools.

Thanks - I sorta feel better.......

Appaholic
September 29th, 2007, 08:14 PM
Not much defense in that 4th quarter. ASU scored 28 (well ... 1 TD was an int return) and Elon scored 15.

43 points in 15 minutes!

How was the tailgaiting Chuck?

SoCon48
September 29th, 2007, 08:30 PM
As long as Elon is allowed to get away with offensive holding as much as they did today, no one is going to be able to consistently pressure Riddle.

gophoenix
September 29th, 2007, 10:11 PM
As long as Elon is allowed to get away with offensive holding as much as they did today, no one is going to be able to consistently pressure Riddle.

More to come later. But both teams got away with minor holding once they realized the refs weren't going to call it. The reffing was pretty bad. Bad spots for App on runs, a few incomplete passes called on us that were really a catch. That intentional grounding on Elder was a BS call too.

Saint, I never said App wouldn't sell a lot of tickets. I said App wouldn't have a home away from home for this one. Your fans represented well. 2500 Apps I think from what the App guys with me estimated. And a lot of frustrated people in the Elon tailgate area who didn't have tickets from what a friend tells me. I am also thinking that there may have been more than 13,100 people there.... maybe that was just what was announced for other reasons. I had no problems with concessions, hope no one else did, looked like the school planned it out pretty well. It was a beautiful day for football.

Outside of the personal foul on Hudgins in the 1st quarter, it was an impressively cleanly played game. Apps helping Elon players up, Elon playerrs helping App players up. No jawwing. Shows that both coaches have things well in hand. And the two teams shaking hands and having what looked like a prayer together after the game showed a lot of sportsmanship (and mutual respect) too.

App simply outlasted us. You exploited out weaknesses and used our youth in places. I never thought that this was going to be some sort of offensive shootout like it was, though. Overall, you guys seemed to just flat out wear our guys down by the middle of the 4th. Our defense looked tired by the middle of the 4th. And your special teams kind of melted down a bit in the 4th. And App opened up running holes well.

It was remarkably, a fun game to watch. And I thought we had a really good crowd there, none of which left early like in the losing days. It is amazing what good games will do to a fan base. And we played 3 seniors today which makes me feel a bit better for the future. I thought out mainly freshman offensive line did pretty good overall. And the #2 RB (#20 I think) for you guys looked good too. Elder seemed to run the ball well too when we played more of a zone. Both teams made some good adjustments at halftime as well to change the play of the game a bit/

The better team won today, congrats to App.

appsfan
September 29th, 2007, 11:01 PM
I agree the officiating was bad, SoCon style. I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get into the stadium based on warnings that had been posted. Elon has a really nice facility. Howvever, on the visitors side, the concessions were woefully understaffed- it took forever to get a soda (and that was mid 3rd quarter.) Also, at halftime they were out of water.

I think you are low on the App crowd estimate. I was say out of 13,100 official attendance, 5,000 to 6,000 were App fans. That is assuming your visitor seating holds 5,000 since near the end of the game it was still full and almost all were in black and gold.

One last thought, are there any plans to put a tunnel in for the teams to access the field? Where I had no problems getting in, I was held up 10 to 15 minutes when leaving so the teams could leave the field. It seems like that will be a problem as ELon continues to improve and larger crowds become the norm.xconfusedx

SoCon48
September 30th, 2007, 03:41 AM
More to come later. But both teams got away with minor holding once they realized the refs weren't going to call it. The reffing was pretty bad. Bad spots for App on runs, a few incomplete passes called on us that were really a catch. That intentional grounding on Elder was a BS call too.

Saint, I never said App wouldn't sell a lot of tickets. I said App wouldn't have a home away from home for this one. Your fans represented well. 2500 Apps I think from what the App guys with me estimated. And a lot of frustrated people in the Elon tailgate area who didn't have tickets from what a friend tells me. I am also thinking that there may have been more than 13,100 people there.... maybe that was just what was announced for other reasons. I had no problems with concessions, hope no one else did, looked like the school planned it out pretty well. It was a beautiful day for football.

Outside of the personal foul on Hudgins in the 1st quarter, it was an impressively cleanly played game. Apps helping Elon players up, Elon playerrs helping App players up. No jawwing. Shows that both coaches have things well in hand. And the two teams shaking hands and having what looked like a prayer together after the game showed a lot of sportsmanship (and mutual respect) too.

App simply outlasted us. You exploited out weaknesses and used our youth in places. I never thought that this was going to be some sort of offensive shootout like it was, though. Overall, you guys seemed to just flat out wear our guys down by the middle of the 4th. Our defense looked tired by the middle of the 4th. And your special teams kind of melted down a bit in the 4th. And App opened up running holes well.

It was remarkably, a fun game to watch. And I thought we had a really good crowd there, none of which left early like in the losing days. It is amazing what good games will do to a fan base. And we played 3 seniors today which makes me feel a bit better for the future. I thought out mainly freshman offensive line did pretty good overall. And the #2 RB (#20 I think) for you guys looked good too. Elder seemed to run the ball well too when we played more of a zone. Both teams made some good adjustments at halftime as well to change the play of the game a bit/

The better team won today, congrats to App.

Two players holding the same guy simultaneously is not minor holding. On at least two occasions, and both were in front of the refs in the backfield.

Elon playing the music right through at least two snaps is not sportsmanlike and against SoCon rules. Took nearly a whole half to get that corrected.

And no. Hundreds on the pressbox side had left before the 3rd quarter ended.
And youth. ASU was playing 2 sophs and 2 freshman on the front four of the D most of the game.
We were playing with our 2nd string QB.

SoCon48
September 30th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Yea, Elon you guys have a great QB and you have him for 3 1/2 years still. Couple of years, you guys will be a force to be reckoned with

Unless he gets caught cheating like Pope.xcoffeex

gophoenix
September 30th, 2007, 06:30 AM
Two players holding the same guy simultaneously is not minor holding. On at least two occasions, and both were in front of the refs in the backfield.

Elon playing the music right through at least two snaps is not sportsmanlike and against SoCon rules. Took nearly a whole half to get that corrected.

And no. Hundreds on the pressbox side had left before the 3rd quarter ended.
And youth. ASU was playing 2 sophs and 2 freshman on the front four of the D most of the game.
We were playing with our 2nd string QB.

And now it starts. The usual JCline garbage. There was no holding to that magnitude. Good grief you guys are some whiners. Complete and utter whiners. And heaven forbid you actually say, Elon gave us a good game. The universe just might implode on itself.

Few left the game, I was on the away side too. Give it a rest.

And 5000 App fans? No. The visitor side seats 800. No way were the 5000 App fans, but I knew the claims were inevitable. You guys always do that. App fans barely went to the curve in the grassy area. 2500 max. And that's being generous.

Complaining about the music is loser talk. Complaning about calls is loser talk. And I notice none of your fans is talking about App running up the score after you guys complained about Wofford doing exactly what you did to us (and no, it wasn't running up the score in either case).

YesAppCan
September 30th, 2007, 07:37 AM
And now it starts. The usual JCline garbage. There was no holding to that magnitude. Good grief you guys are some whiners. Complete and utter whiners. And heaven forbid you actually say, Elon gave us a good game. The universe just might implode on itself.

And 5000 App fans? No. The visitor side seats 800. No way were the 5000 App fans, but I knew the claims were inevitable. You guys always do that. App fans barely went to the curve in the grassy area. 2500 max. And that's being generous.

Complaining about the music is loser talk. Complaning about calls is loser talk. And I notice none of your fans is talking about App running up the score after you guys complained about Wofford doing exactly what you did to us (and no, it wasn't running up the score in either case).

You know why App "ran up the score"?... While it was clear to most folks, ASU was willing to run out the clock as the game was, for all practical purposes, over, Elon called a time out. If Elon is going to stop the clock thinking they have a chance, we are obligated to prove other-wise.
You say what you like (and I'm NO whiner), the music thing was high school. The officiating was poor, both teams SHOULD expect better officiating.
Now so you don't think I'm whining... I thought it was a great atmosphere for a college football game on a beautiful day. I live in Greensboro, so the short commute beat driving to Boone. Elon has a lot to be proud of. I want you folks to get to experience that kind of atmosphere every game... It's what it's all about!

ASU88
September 30th, 2007, 07:46 AM
How was the tailgaiting Chuck?

The tailgating areas were great. We were in the fire station lots ... big open fields.

Met Neathery, April, Tom, Amy, Justin and Tyler at about 10:15. We left for the game at about 1:00 ... caught a shuttle to the stadium ... waited at the entrance and missed the first couple of series.

The tailgating was short compared to what we're used to, but that was a good thing since I had the wife and kids with!

A good day. :)

HiHiYikas
September 30th, 2007, 07:53 AM
The visitor side seats over 1600, per elon's website (http://www.elonphoenix.com/e-web/athletics/facilities/rhodesstadium/facts.xhtml). The home side seats 6401.

SoCon48
September 30th, 2007, 07:57 AM

Adam, one knowledgeable ASU fan counted 126 no calls on holding alone in the game by Elon.

I said not one word about the number of ASU fans. Not onw word.
You guys lost in spite of the sorry refs and the music playing while the ball was being snapped.

Get a grip. You guys might beat us one day. But yesterday wasn't the day.

The visitor side seats only 800? xlolx xlolx Geez, much worse than I thought. Every high school in the little 2A conference I coached in sat more than 800.

49-32 says it all.

Saint3333
September 30th, 2007, 07:58 AM
GP, I agree with the calls on both sides were bad.

I believe better line play on both sides of the ball won the game. After the first quarter our defense woke up. Without the two excellent kickoff returns it wouldn't have been that close. Stupid call by our coaches to kick it to him again. Elon is much improved and should make some noice in the SoCon this year. The lack of depth and a young defense will lead to many more second halves like yesterdays. I'd say a 5th to 4th place finish, but a huge step in the right direction.

Once again I think you are underestimating ASU's attendance. Not saying there were 5K ASU fans but it was closer to 5K than 2,500.

SoCon48
September 30th, 2007, 08:00 AM
The visitor side seats over 1600, per elon's website (http://www.elonphoenix.com/e-web/athletics/facilities/rhodesstadium/facts.xhtml). The home side seats 6401.

Shows how poorly the Elon fans know their own facilities.xrulesx xrulesx

ASU88
September 30th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Why are so many concerned about how many of which school's fans were there? The place was packed ... and they were all either Elon or ASU! If I had to estimate I'd say it looked two-thirds Elon and one third ASU. But again, I'm not sure why this seems so important.

I thought there were some bad calls as well, but it looked like it went both ways so ultimately it didn't seem to give an advantage to one side or the other.

Very competitive game until a few minutes into the 4th. Than ASU started to take control, though Elon's special teams kept the game within reach for a few more minutes.

bustingnut
September 30th, 2007, 11:40 AM
Does anybody else think the Elon team looked alot like Coastal's last year, huge passing team, great quarterback, a little better in the special teams, or was that part our fault, or the officials? Its hard to believe with a SOLID secondary we didnt roll them up quick. Our D-line is clearly a huge problem up to the 4th quarter yesterday. We sure did have a playmaker come out in Tim Washington though. I think they peaked at michigan, but I think theyre going to peak again.

ElonPride
September 30th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Unless he gets caught cheating like Pope.xcoffeex

Dude come on, why the low blow?

HiHiYikas
September 30th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Shows how poorly the Elon fans know their own facilities.xrulesx xrulesx
I wouldn't go so far as to throw out that kind of generality. Knowing your team's facilities isn't even that relevant, except perhaps in attendance pissing matches.

I don't even know Kidd Brewer's seating capacity - that number really isn't important, seeing as how a "capacity" crowd would be a dissapointingly low attendance week.

gophoenix
September 30th, 2007, 02:04 PM
You know why App "ran up the score"?... While it was clear to most folks, ASU was willing to run out the clock as the game was, for all practical purposes, over, Elon called a time out. If Elon is going to stop the clock thinking they have a chance, we are obligated to prove other-wise.
You say what you like (and I'm NO whiner), the music thing was high school. The officiating was poor, both teams SHOULD expect better officiating.
Now so you don't think I'm whining... I thought it was a great atmosphere for a college football game on a beautiful day. I live in Greensboro, so the short commute beat driving to Boone. Elon has a lot to be proud of. I want you folks to get to experience that kind of atmosphere every game... It's what it's all about!

I know exactly why they scored. I do NOT think they ran it up. That's what I am saying. App was protecting the lead. They ran an excellent play that we folded on in defending and you scored. Not ifs ands or buts about it. So please, do not take it as that. All I was saying by this was that those accusing Wofford of running up the score last week are strangely silent now. Neither App nor Wofford ran it up.

If concessions ran out of items, I would like to offer my apologies as an Elon fan. My group on the away side was getting water up until the 4th quarter.

Let me first apologize to all the App fans, none of my messages to I-AA 2006 are directed at you. They are directed at this person for constantly just taking low blows for whatever his reason may be.

The last thing I will say on attendance is you're right, but the away side was no where close to being all App. Heck, my section 111 was roughly 1/3 wearing maroon and elon hats. Enough of that though.

For the most part it was a great game. And to say that special teams blew it for you. Ok, that's part of the game. You could say that our defense blew it for a few plays to make offset that. That's the way the game goes.

hapapp
September 30th, 2007, 02:55 PM
"For the most part it was a great game. And to say that special teams blew it for you. Ok, that's part of the game. You could say that our defense blew it for a few plays to make offset that. That's the way the game goes."

Funny how fans always see what their team does as evidence of their team's quality and when the opposition does something well it's evidence of their team's weakness. It's all about taking advantage of what is given you. Elon proved that they have some quality skill people, that's how I see it.

ASU did what it need to do to win the game. Let's give Elon credit for showing a great deal of improvement and recognize that they will be a force down the road. Let's move on and get ready for GW. I don't understand the need to quibble at this point.

HaveFunKc
September 30th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Does anybody else think the Elon team looked alot like Coastal's last year, huge passing team, great quarterback, a little better in the special teams, or was that part our fault, or the officials? Its hard to believe with a SOLID secondary we didnt roll them up quick. Our D-line is clearly a huge problem up to the 4th quarter yesterday. We sure did have a playmaker come out in Tim Washington though. I think they peaked at michigan, but I think theyre going to peak again.

Interesting analogy comparing The Firey Birds to the Beach Chickens. ;)

whoanellie
September 30th, 2007, 08:35 PM
Damn!!! curses foiled again!!!!
We (Elon) lost again to a better ASU team. It is what it is, but that does not diminish the fact that We are playing a brand of football now that is worthy of supporting. We are not an embarrassment to our division, conference, but mainly our institution.
It was not a pretty sight watching my Alma Mater getting drubbed over scheduling and presenting an inferior product. Calling it growing pains is not much comfort. The SoCon is talented. Yea We scheduled Furman and beat them but We really did not build on our 1999 success. We got a great facility. But Elon had to grow into different level.
Due to efforts of many We are light years from the 2003- 2004 fiascoes.
1 better student support and better marketing to make the atmosphere much more game day and home field friendly.
2 We have recruited better play makers and purged out a lot of dead weight cry baby types that tried to give minimal effort or just were not D-1 talent.
3 our coaches and AD staff know what to do to make a winner.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T !!!! is earned NOT given.
We are making baby steps,
individual stats are showing We have play makers and one can never have enough. Football is a team team game and the final score is the bottom line. So all this stuff can be debated 24/7.
When We joined the SoCon We had one abstainer, ASU.
Every year We are going to play our hearts out to beat you.
Next Year and the year after that.
We CAN and WILL do it. We will bring it and so will you-guys that's what makes you ASU.
Ain't it great!!!! Next Year,Don't schedule us for homecoming if want to win it.

proasu89
September 30th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Damn!!! curses foiled again!!!!
We (Elon) lost again to a better ASU team. It is what it is, but that does not diminish the fact that We are playing a brand of football now that is worthy of supporting. We are not an embarrassment to our division, conference, but mainly our institution.
It was not a pretty sight watching my Alma Mater getting drubbed over scheduling and presenting an inferior product. Calling it growing pains is not much comfort. The SoCon is talented. Yea We scheduled Furman and beat them but We really did not build on our 1999 success. We got a great facility. But Elon had to grow into different level.
Due to efforts of many We are light years from the 2003- 2004 fiascoes.
1 better student support and better marketing to make the atmosphere much more game day and home field friendly.
2 We have recruited better play makers and purged out a lot of dead weight cry baby types that tried to give minimal effort or just were not D-1 talent. 3 our coaches and AD staff know what to do to make a winner.
R-E-S-P-E-C-T !!!! is earned NOT given.
We are making baby steps,
individual stats are showing We have play makers and one can never have enough. Football is a team team game and the final score is the bottom line. So all this stuff can be debated 24/7.
When We joined the SoCon We had one abstainer, ASU.
Every year We are going to play our hearts out to beat you.
Next Year and the year after that.
We CAN and WILL do it. We will bring it and so will you-guys that's what makes you ASU.
Ain't it great!!!! Next Year,Don't schedule us for homecoming if want to win it.

Agree 100% on point #2. Reference senior day for you guys last year. Keep up the good work.

AppMan
September 30th, 2007, 09:59 PM
Complaining about the music is loser talk.

Playing extremely loud music over the PA system while the opposing team is attemting to call plays is not only against league rules, it's BUSH. Get off your high and mighty, your people knew exactly what they were doing and they got caught. If it wasn't so bad why did the officials stop play and tell them to knock it off. I suppose it was just a coincidence no music was played while Elon had the ball. IMO, the SoCon should reprimand Elon and put 'em on notice over that little stunt.

lizrdgizrd
September 30th, 2007, 10:31 PM
Playing extremely loud music over the PA system while the opposing team is attemting to call plays is not only against league rules, it's BUSH. Get off your high and mighty, your people knew exactly what they were doing and they got caught. If it wasn't so bad why did the officials stop play and tell them to knock it off. I suppose it was just a coincidence no music was played while Elon had the ball. IMO, the SoCon should reprimand Elon and put 'em on notice over that little stunt.
It was weak and the refs actually did something right (didn't happen too often in that game) and stopped it. End of story. If they'd kept doing it after they were warned I'd say it warranted action by the conference. xpeacex

lizrdgizrd
September 30th, 2007, 10:34 PM
It was a great game at Rhodes Stadium yesterday! Glad to see Elon becoming a solid member of the SoCon. This good young team is only going to get better. I finally had to tell gophoenix to stop telling me which of the Elon players was a freshman and from then on I just assumed they all were until he said otherwise. xlolx

I didn't appreciate the "fans" (of both teams)who wanted me to sit down early in the game when we were struggling. I'm not about to stop cheering for my guys when they need it most. xnonox

And no, I wasn't screaming obscenities. xsmhx

gophoenix
October 1st, 2007, 06:39 AM
I didn't appreciate the "fans" (of both teams)who wanted me to sit down early in the game when we were struggling. I'm not about to stop cheering for my guys when they need it most. xnonox

And no, I wasn't screaming obscenities. xsmhx

Those App fans had no problem standing when Peacock came down, did they :-D

But seriously. Stand up. It's a football game, not a concert in the park.

lizrdgizrd
October 1st, 2007, 08:42 AM
Those App fans had no problem standing when Peacock came down, did they :-D

But seriously. Stand up. It's a football game, not a concert in the park.
Yeah, it was like they were in elementary school and the teacher just walked into class. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

SoCon48
October 1st, 2007, 04:19 PM
It was weak and the refs actually did something right (didn't happen too often in that game) and stopped it. End of story. If they'd kept doing it after they were warned I'd say it warranted action by the conference. xpeacex

They actually did do it again in the second half. Twice.

lizrdgizrd
October 1st, 2007, 04:21 PM
They actually did do it again in the second half. Twice.
I don't remember them playing past the snap in the 2nd half. xconfusedx

SoCon48
October 1st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Dude come on, why the low blow?

When GP leveled the "garbage" comment about my post, all bets are off.
Besides, we got lots of comments about some of our guys who got in trouble a year or two ago by none othet than GP.
Also remember the counterfeit comments leveled by him and others regarding one of our basketball players?????? The posts asking Elon fans to wave $20 bills? Some of these were actually on the Elon board that GoPhoenix moderated.
Some of us certainly do.

Sorry if it offended you personally, EP.

SoCon48
October 1st, 2007, 04:28 PM
I don't remember them playing past the snap in the 2nd half. xconfusedx

The Southern Conference rule is the music cannot be played during the offensive huddle. In the no-huddle, it cannot start at all.

gophoenix
October 1st, 2007, 05:30 PM
When GP leveled the "garbage" comment about my post, all bets are off.
Besides, we got lots of comments about some of our guys who got in trouble a year or two ago by none othet than GP.
Also remember the counterfeit comments leveled by him and others regarding one of our basketball players?????? The posts asking Elon fans to wave $20 bills? Some of these were actually on the Elon board that GoPhoenix moderated.
Some of us certainly do.

Sorry if it offended you personally, EP.

No, I did not level comments about the counterfeit claim. Others on the board did, not me, mainly because I don't care about basketball all that much. But, I know how you are, you lie enough and someone is bound to believe you.

I didn't level your post as garbage. I said it was loser talk. And it is loser talk. Excuses, complaints and whining but the master of it himself. xbawlingx I shouldn't be surprised though, you are the master of dishing it out. xcoffeex

But, the fact that all you have to complain about now is the music a few times and ref bias shows just how much you have to strain for stuff to complain about now. And the constant focus on Elon is actually quite flattering as a fan. xthumbsupx

I've still yet to see the SoCon the actual statute about the issue. Please post, I am interested one way or another. Last year for the game in Boone, people had cowbells and the band played a few times after the snap and played during kickoff (the typical thing). It happens at every stadium a few times, that's the life of playing on the road. If you want to cry about it, fine, I can mail a box of tissues to you. xbawlingx

You're really reaching here. I find it kind of funny and pathetic at the same time.

gophoenix
October 1st, 2007, 05:35 PM

Loser talk. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. Then App should be reprimanded for the Band playing while the opponents are kicking off and after good defensive stops in a no huddle offense like last year. That's just silly.

This is absolutely pathetic that this is all you guys have to reach for.

xbawlingx

It's just not fair is it??? Home field advantage for us? No way. Good grief at this loser talk. Can I send you a box of teaches for your tears too?

I'll admit. Sometimes it was bush league. Sometimes it wasn't any different than a marching band playing a short between plays. But the level of whining your guys are doing about this is just plain pathetic.

You guys won the game, that is all that matters. For you to spend so much time continuing to harp on this for the 3rd straight day.... WOW

Appaholic
October 1st, 2007, 09:09 PM
xdeadhorsex xflaggedx xgiveadamnx
xgiveadamnx xflaggedx xdeadhorsex
GP....IAA....let it go...

Elon is a program on the rise...App won the game...

gophoenix
October 1st, 2007, 09:26 PM
All that needs to be said was it was a good back and forth game. And the final was 49-32 for App, the better team. Anything else at this point ..... is just old news.