PDA

View Full Version : Georgia State takes step toward football program

ChooChoo
September 28th, 2007, 07:40 AM
http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/stories/2007/09/27/gastate_0928.html
By STAN AWTREY
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 09/28/07

Nearly 100 people were crammed into Tony's American Grille in Roswell on Wednesday night, most of them to talk about college football. But the topic wasn't Georgia Tech or Georgia; neither a buzz nor a woof could be heard. The program of choice was Georgia State.

Applause intermixed with a few "woo-woos" came when football consultant Dan Reeves picked up a helmet, painted in school colors and decorated with a logo, and held it aloft.

Yes, the tipping point has been reached. Alumni interest is there, and donations have been adequate enough to proceed. If students agree to an activity-fee increase next month, the program should be placed on the fast track. Georgia State could have its football team up and running by 2010.

"There's support for it now," said Bill Reeves, a 1959 GSU graduate who attended the meeting with his wife, Susan. Reeves, who is not related to Dan Reeves, has been a member of the athletics board for 12 years. "I'm talking for it and I'm supporting it," he said.

On the other end of the age spectrum is Justin Breitfelder, who earned his risk management degree in the spring. He's one of the younger alums in favor of the move. "I think football will fly," he said.

The school has more than $1.2 million in commitments, enough to move forward. The next big step comes Oct. 19, when a 15-person committee, seven of them students, hears a proposal to increase the student-activity fee to $85 per semester, a move that would generate more than $5 million. If that happens, school President Carl V. Patton is expected to give his OK by November and send the plan to the Board of Regents, which likely would rubber-stamp its approval in the spring.

"We're going pretty strong down that road," said Tom Lewis, the school's vice president for external affairs. "The support is pretty strong, and we're hearing it. I just spent three days on the road with the president, and at the beginning of every meeting the first question we heard was, 'How is football coming along.' The interest is there."

Supporters contend football is more viable at Georgia State since nearly 5,000 students will soon be living on campus. That's a far cry from the days when the school catered to commuters.

"When I went to Georgia State, I'd have to go to Athens for football games," Breitfelder said. "When you lived in the student village, there was no reason to stay there. Having football would change that and help school spirit."

Georgia State athletics director Mary McElroy saidd that it looks like a football program will be hatched, but there are other questions that must be answered.

• The school would play its games at the Georgia Dome but would need to find a location for practice facilities.

• The addition of football would throw the Title IX statistics out of line, meaning the school would need to add two or three intercollegiate sports for women. Lacrosse would likely be the first.

• Additional money would need to be allocated for support programs such as cheerleaders and the band.

• A coach and staff would need to be hired and given a chance to recruit. There was no question that the supporters on hand at Tony's want to see Reeves go from consultant to coach.

Georgia State would compete at the Division I-AA level against the likes of Georgia Southern, not against Georgia Tech or Georgia. That would be OK, said Dave Cohen, who works in the Georgia State alumni relations office and is the longtime radio "Voice of the Panthers."

"I broadcast the Furman football games, and nobody up there [in South Carolina] is worried about the Clemson or South Carolina games," Cohen said. "Furman has its own niche, and that's what Georgia State needs to carve out."
-----------------------------------------------

CAA, here we come. xsmiley_wix

ChickenMan
September 28th, 2007, 07:46 AM
Good luck.. I'd hope to see Georgia St soon playing football in the CAA.

henfan
September 28th, 2007, 07:49 AM
GState's nearly a lock. George Mason is next.xthumbsupx

aust42
September 28th, 2007, 08:03 AM
With the addition of Old Dominion and Georgia State in the near future the CAA will be losing a couple/few teams. I believe there have been previous threads on this topic. I predict Maine, UMASS, Nova, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Richmond leaving and forming a new conference. The CAA wants an all sports conference and they'll soon have it.

The CAA will be watered down big time until/if these schools can establish themselves and become competetive at the 1AA level. Georgia State will have a rough time with Georgia Tech in their back yard and playing in front of 3k people in the Georgia Dome. Old Dominion might have a good chance with their 20k renovated stadium, good location and recruiting area.

bobbythekidd
September 28th, 2007, 08:07 AM
"When I went to Georgia State, I'd have to go to Athens for football games," Breitfelder said. "When you lived in the student village, there was no reason to stay there. Having football would change that and help school spirit."
I'm still waiting for this to kick in in Statesboro. If the dawgs are on TV, expect the student side to be thinned out.

henfan
September 28th, 2007, 08:35 AM
[QUOTE=aust42;667749]I predict Maine, UMASS, Nova, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Richmond leaving and forming a new conference. The CAA wants an all sports conference and they'll soon have it.

The CAA will be watered down big time until/if these schools can establish themselves and become competetive at the 1AA level.[QUOTE]

Aust, you've jumped the shark with those comments. Folks like you said the A-10 would be watered down when Northeastern, Hofstra and, later, Towson joined. Didn't happen. Competitively, ODU & GState will do just fine. Mason would as well. Those schools will likely offer more institutional support to FB and will be better supported in the stands than some of the current CAA members & FB affiliates.

I'd agree that one or more the FB affiliates may eventually part. I just don't agree that they'd leave to form a new conference. Not only are they getting a great deal with the CAA, but, as members of a new conference, they'd also be relinquishing the chance at an auto-bid for several years. There's just no value to such a move, especially for UMass, who is talking yet again about FBS reclassification.

mcveyrl
September 28th, 2007, 08:46 AM
Aust, you've jumped the shark with those comments. Folks like you said the A-10 would be watered down when Northeastern, Hofstra and, later, Towson joined. Didn't happen. Competitively, ODU & GState will do just fine. Mason would as well. Those schools will likely offer more institutional support to FB and will be better supported in the stands than some of the current CAA members & FB affiliates.

I'd agree that one or more the FB affiliates may eventually part. I just don't agree that they'd leave to form a new conference. Not only are they getting a great deal with the CAA, but, as members of a new conference, they'd also be relinquishing the chance at an auto-bid for several years. There's just no value to such a move, especially for UMass, who is talking yet again about FBS reclassification.

I agree with everything you're saying henfan, but are we really going to have 14 teams in our conference?? I think that would really suck. Especially with no possibility of a championship game.

Essentially one team would be giving up an auto-bid anyway. You could go 6-0 in your half of the conference, beat two teams (depending on the draw, two weak teams) in the other side and not get the auto-bid.

UncleSam
September 28th, 2007, 08:52 AM
CAA (2012)

North:

Hofstra
Maine
Northeastern
UMass
UNH
URI
Towson

South:

Delaware
Georgia St
JMU
Old Dominion
Richmond
Villanova
W&M

Towson in the North and UD in the South to keep the UD/Nova yearly rivalry going.

henfan
September 28th, 2007, 09:07 AM
I agree with everything you're saying henfan, but are we really going to have 14 teams in our conference?? I think that would really suck. Especially with no possibility of a championship game.

Not so fast. We don't know yet if the playoffs will be expanded to 24 or how auto-bids will be distributed. Though maybe unlikely, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the CAA could get 2 auto-bids at some point. Perhaps you'd have a situation where one bid is distributed to the winner of the North and one to the South Division winner. Who knows at this point? Growth should be the last thing to worry about. xthumbsupx

blukeys
September 28th, 2007, 09:30 AM
Not so fast. We don't know yet if the playoffs will be expanded to 24 or how auto-bids will be distributed. Though maybe unlikely, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the CAA could get 2 auto-bids at some point. Perhaps you'd have a situation where one bid is distributed to the winner of the North and one to the South Division winner. Who knows at this point? Growth should be the last thing to worry about. xthumbsupx

It certainly makes more sense to give an auto bid to one of the CAA divisions then it does to give an auto bid to the PFL. xsmiley_wix

GannonFan
September 28th, 2007, 09:43 AM
It certainly makes more sense to give an auto bid to one of the CAA divisions then it does to give an auto bid to the PFL. xsmiley_wix

heh, that should attract comment, I'm sure! Of course, the silly thing is that in a 14 team conference, the CAA wouldn't need the autobid for the first 2 or 3 teams that would come out and make the playoffs - they'd be in regardless of an autobid, or even a second autobid. Heck, in an expanded playoff scenario (say they go to 24 teams in a few years) a 14 team CAA would normally send 5-6 teams every year to the playoffs, and in some years 7 teams. That's the ironic thing about expanding the playoffs - conferences like the CAA and the Gateway could stand to be the biggest winners in that scenario.

Dane96
September 28th, 2007, 09:50 AM
[QUOTE=aust42;667749]I predict Maine, UMASS, Nova, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Richmond leaving and forming a new conference. The CAA wants an all sports conference and they'll soon have it.

The CAA will be watered down big time until/if these schools can establish themselves and become competetive at the 1AA level.[QUOTE]

I agree for the most part, however let's get this straight: UMASS is going nowhere. I still consult with those in higher positions in the Commonwealth...and any move by UMASS is going to be privately funded. Patrick and/or his successor will not be funding such a project.

What happens to the affiliates, we can all speculate, but I can say with certainty, unless the economy of the Commonwealth changes DRAMATICALLY...UMASS will be playing FCS football into the next decade.

aceinthehole
September 28th, 2007, 10:28 AM
1) Great for Georgia State. I think its good for the CAA and FCS, but the Georgia Dome? Even if they are highly successful and popular very early, what do they get maybe 15,000 at a game? That is just an ugly scenario. Do they have any other options for a home field?

2) An expanded CAA could not get more than 1 AQ bid. It would require a major change in NCAA by-laws. Its a moot point though, becasue a competative CAA might something like 6 teams in a 24-team playoff.

Look at the bloated Big East in basketball. They still get 1 AQ, althought they get many more at-large bids due to the sheer size of the conference.

terrierbob
September 28th, 2007, 10:39 AM
If Reeves went to GA State, does that mean he didn't play college football? That can't be the case. Maybe it was grad school.

ChickenMan
September 28th, 2007, 10:43 AM
12) An expanded CAA could not get more than 1 AQ bid. It would require a major change in NCAA by-laws. Its a moot point though, becasue a competative CAA might something like 6 teams in a 24-team playoff.

No problem.. just change the by-laws.. if the 'Patriot' gets an auto bid with a 7 member conference.. is there any logic as to why a two 7 team division.. 14 member CAA ..should not receive two auto bids???

Golden Eagle
September 28th, 2007, 10:52 AM
If Reeves went to GA State, does that mean he didn't play college football? That can't be the case. Maybe it was grad school.

There are two Reeveses in the story, one held up a helmet, the other is an alumnus who gave a quote or two.

henfan
September 28th, 2007, 11:05 AM
I agree for the most part, however let's get this straight: UMASS is going nowhere.

I don't disagree with you, Dane. UMass has studied reclassification endlessly, for almost as long as UD has been a member of its FB conference. It seems every year or two they dust off the reclassification jibber jabber and it reaches the same dead end conclusion.

More to my earlier point, UMass has absolutely zero incentive to leave the CAA FB league at any point into the forseeable future. Realistically, I just don't see that changing, unless an FBS opportunity comes along.

ChooChoo
September 28th, 2007, 11:24 AM
FAST FACT: DAN REEVES, State's football consultant, is one of just seven NFL coaches to win 200 games and has participated in nine Super Bowls as a player or a coach. Reeves was a high school three-sport star at Americus High and played quarterback at South Carolina before playing with the Dallas Cowboys and Coach Tom Landry.
(The coach has eluded in the past that he felt snubbed by the University of Georgia for not getting an invitation to play ball for them. Hopefully that will continue to provide motivation in helping GSU start their program.)
As for the Georgia Dome:
http://www.gadome.com/about/dome_facts.html
Negotiations between GSU and the Dome have the faciltiy available for about $47,000 per game. With 11 games per year, a new program would likely host only 5 home games each year.
I'd say $235,000 a year to rent a world class facility in which to feature a new product and to generate interest is a steal. More than likely, the upper level will be closed initially. I've witnessed many high school play-off games in this configuration and they are still electric. Pack them in tight in the lower level and you forget about the upper ring.
http://www.gadome.com/seating/football.html
This screen gives you a view of the field from your seats. Playing at the Dome will be a good thing for the athletes, the university, and the city of Atlanta.

mcveyrl
September 28th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Wouldn't it be more likely that the NCAA would grant an auto-bid to a CAA "spin-off" league?

heh, that should attract comment, I'm sure! Of course, the silly thing is that in a 14 team conference, the CAA wouldn't need the autobid for the first 2 or 3 teams that would come out and make the playoffs - they'd be in regardless of an autobid, or even a second autobid. Heck, in an expanded playoff scenario (say they go to 24 teams in a few years) a 14 team CAA would normally send 5-6 teams every year to the playoffs, and in some years 7 teams. That's the ironic thing about expanding the playoffs - conferences like the CAA and the Gateway could stand to be the biggest winners in that scenario.

I agree here. The auto-bid/playoff issue is really a moot point. The expansion, as GF pointed out, really only means that certain conferences get one team in the playoffs while opening up more at-large's for the other conferences. It's like the mid-majors in the basketball tournament - yea, there might be some years where you get an at-large, but most of the time you're a one team league.

As far as the CAA is concerned, I like the idea of having a true conference champion. I think the smaller percentage of teams each team plays in the conference, the more likely you'll have ties at the top. With 14 teams, you play less than 2/3rds of your potential conference foes, and teams in the other division once every 3 years (or twice every six depending on how you do it). I WANNA PLAY UMASS!!

downbythebeach
September 28th, 2007, 01:30 PM
GState's nearly a lock. George Mason is next.xthumbsupx

George Mason may be on board.....I go to school there so I said what the heck I'll check out one of their club games. While at the game I was surprised to see that the same pep band that plays at basketball games was playing at the football game against some JC team......Not too many fans, and barely a stadium, but this is the first year the admin let the pep band perform there (I'm told).

Do a google search and check out their schedule....they actually play some decent D-2 and D-3 teams as an easy homecoming win.

GannonFan
September 28th, 2007, 01:42 PM
George Mason may be on board.....I go to school there so I said what the heck I'll check out one of their club games. While at the game I was surprised to see that the same pep band that plays at basketball games was playing at the football game against some JC team......Not too many fans, and barely a stadium, but this is the first year the admin let the pep band perform there (I'm told).

Do a google search and check out their schedule....they actually play some decent D-2 and D-3 teams as an easy homecoming win.

Georgia St, and even more so ODU, getting football and enjoying that sport will surely stir the jealousy in George Mason and they may come around to getting a real football program. They will not want to see ODU grow their athletics that much beyond Mason's.

mcveyrl
September 28th, 2007, 02:09 PM
Georgia St, and even more so ODU, getting football and enjoying that sport will surely stir the jealousy in George Mason and they may come around to getting a real football program. They will not want to see ODU grow their athletics that much beyond Mason's.

The only problem with that is it will take away my only response when we get KILLED by Mason in basketball.:p

youwouldno
September 28th, 2007, 02:11 PM
The problem with Mason is that there's no stadium. ODU has to renovate, but the property and basics are already there. Georgia State would play in an existing venue. GMU not only has no place to play, but it isn't clear to me where a stadium would even go, and the cost could be astronomical. The DC area also isn't anything like the talent base in Tidewater that ODU will tap into, or Atlanta in the case of Ga. State.

GannonFan
September 28th, 2007, 02:15 PM
The problem with Mason is that there's no stadium. ODU has to renovate, but the property and basics are already there. Georgia State would play in an existing venue. GMU not only has no place to play, but it isn't clear to me where a stadium would even go, and the cost could be astronomical. The DC area also isn't anything like the talent base in Tidewater that ODU will tap into, or Atlanta in the case of Ga. State.

I agree with the stadium concern, that's a big obstacle for Mason, but the talent base isn't a concern - no one just recruits right in their own backyard and relies on that to be a good program. Heck, a lot of kids want to move a little bit away from home to go to college so you could argue they won't get some of that talent simply because they don't want to stay home. Any good FCS team, especially on the East Coast, includes players from a much wider range than the 15 mile radius.

bobbythekidd
September 28th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Why is Ga State even thinking about wasting the money on renting the Dome? With the amout of folks that show up in the beginning, any high school stadium in the area would be plenty of seats.

I am certain they would have a shoe-string budget, at least at first.

mrklean
September 28th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Dan Reeves did not graduate from GA STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He does not have a college degree. That is the reason that he did not get the UGA job in 1995. College coaches have to have a degree. He went to college but he did not graduate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mcveyrl
September 28th, 2007, 02:26 PM
Dan Reeves did not graduate from GA STATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He does not have a college degree. That is the reason that he did not get the UGA job in 1995. College coaches have to have a degree. He went to college but he did not graduate!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that was cleared up earlier in the thread...

ChooChoo
September 28th, 2007, 02:27 PM

ChooChoo
September 28th, 2007, 02:28 PM
Why is Ga State even thinking about wasting the money on renting the Dome? With the amout of folks that show up in the beginning, any high school stadium in the area would be plenty of seats.

I guess that's the difference in expectations for our respective programs. By 2015 Georgia State is projected to have 40,000 students, of which 10,000 will be living on campus. We think big because we have to.

youwouldno
September 28th, 2007, 02:29 PM
I agree with the stadium concern, that's a big obstacle for Mason, but the talent base isn't a concern - no one just recruits right in their own backyard and relies on that to be a good program. Heck, a lot of kids want to move a little bit away from home to go to college so you could argue they won't get some of that talent simply because they don't want to stay home. Any good FCS team, especially on the East Coast, includes players from a much wider range than the 15 mile radius.

For a start-up program in particular, a local talent base in unquestionably valuable. I don't think there is a particular radius in distance terms; the issue is familiarity with the university. ODU doesn't have any football tradition but people in Hampton Roads are familiar with the school; kids have friends that go there, many have parents who went there, ODU is known for its basketball, and so on. It will help them get their foot in the door, and the ability to recruit locally also helps with recruiting budgets.

henfan
September 28th, 2007, 03:27 PM

Yeah, I've been following the GMU club team online since UD joined the CAA.xthumbsupx

henfan
September 28th, 2007, 03:35 PM
Wouldn't it be more likely that the NCAA would grant an auto-bid to a CAA "spin-off" league?

Once the 'spinoff' met NCAA waiting period, sure, they might be eligible to apply for an AQ.

Help me here though. Where would the incentive be for any team to leave a conference where they're guaranteed an immediate AQ to one where they'd have to wait an undetermined amount of time to receive one? xconfusedx

brownbear
September 28th, 2007, 04:27 PM

I've mentioned this before that I think Georgia State should play at Herndon Stadium (15,000 seats, about 1 mile past the Dome) or Clark Atlanta's stadium (6,000 seats), or Morehouse's stadium (9,000 seats). Any of these would do Georgia State fine. When they do the high school state playoffs at the Dome, the Dome is only about 25% full, and it is not a good game environment. I would not expect GSU to draw much more than that when they start up.

bostonspider
September 28th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Herndon Stadium looks pretty nice...

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/109/315346130_ecf877bc5e.jpg

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/north_america/united_states/georgia/atlanta_herndon.jpg

brownbear
September 28th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I don't know if there are any teams (high school or college) that play there. Morris Brown football used to play there, and the Atlanta WUSA soccer team played there until the league folded.

TheValleyRaider
September 28th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Once the 'spinoff' met NCAA waiting period, sure, they might be eligible to apply for an AQ.

Help me here though. Where would the incentive be for any team to leave a conference where they're guaranteed an immediate AQ to one where they'd have to wait an undetermined amount of time to receive one? xconfusedx

Let's say though, for example, that of the group that spun off from the CAA (added to maybe some other affiliates, former NEC schools, just as an example), at least 6 of them had played together for more than 2 years (or whatever the minimum is). Would they still have to sit through a waiting period, or could they be considered eligible on that basis?

aceinthehole
September 28th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Let's say though, for example, that of the group that spun off from the CAA (added to maybe some other affiliates, former NEC schools, just as an example), at least 6 of them had played together for more than 2 years (or whatever the minimum is). Would they still have to sit through a waiting period, or could they be considered eligible on that basis?

If the New England-4 of the CAA, left to form a new conference with Albany, Stony Brook, CCSU, and Monmouth by NCAA rule they have a wait period to be ELIGIBLE for a CONFRENCE AQ. (It may be just 2 years, I don't know have the citaition)

I think what is more important, is would that conference have the "preceived" strength for the champ to earn at at-large? That is to say if UMass went 7-0 in conference and non-conf wins vs. Colgate and Northeastern, plus losses to a I-A team and Delaware, would they get the at-large?

If the champ of the new conference can confidently be worthy of an at-large bid it doesn't matter ifthey wait for 2 years without an AQ. I think the legitimate concern by UMass and UNH would be does does the 4 former NEC team drag down this strenght in the early years, so that the champ can't earn an at-large. This is a fair question to ask, and honestly I think you could argue the outcome either way (assuming the former NEC team are ramping up to 63).

Dane96
September 28th, 2007, 05:38 PM
I think the new conference would also petitition for a waiver...whether that would go through or not...who knows.

UAalum72
September 28th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Could the CAA-4 join the NEC with the MAAC remnants, form a two-division league (one full-scholly, one limited) and use the NEC's autobid until the full-scholly teams were together for the specified time, and then split off? Devious, maybe, but possible?

brownbear
September 28th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Could the CAA-4 join the NEC with the MAAC remnants, form a two-division league (one full-scholly, one limited) and use the NEC's autobid until the full-scholly teams were together for the specified time, and then split off? Devious, maybe, but possible?

But wouldn't the NEC be too large then.

mcveyrl
September 28th, 2007, 11:12 PM

I guess I was thinking along the lines of the NCAA waiving the waiting period for this unique situation (which I think is just as likely as giving the CAA two auto-bids). Which answers your second question.

But, the reverse is also the case. What's the incentive for staying in a conference where I might have the best record, but not get a playoff bid?
It's not out of the realm of possibility that two teams go 7-1 in the 14-team CAA for the best record (mathematically I think three teams could go 7-1), one team is the conference champ (through some mythical tiebreaker system) the other team is 1-2 OOC, 8-3 overall and doesn't get an at-large because of its SOS (obviously the CAA schedule is tough, but if they lose two weak OOC games, it could happen).

Aside from the playoff scenario, I still like the idea of a true conference champion, because outside of a national championship, that's the best a team can do, IMO. I would've hated to go 8-0 in conference last year and be tied for the conference championship (although that would've been better than losing ot 'Nova). Obviously that problem exists now, but I think 14 teams dilutes it even more.

I just think 14 teams is a lot of teams for playing an 8 game conference schedule with no conference championship game (which we know won't happen). And I don't want any more conference games than 8.

Out of curiosity, does anybody remember a 14-team football conference? The biggest I can remember seeing is 12, but I might be missing one.

gophoenix
September 28th, 2007, 11:36 PM
The costs for Georgia State to move a football team around the CAA seem high. The closest schools would be William & Mary and Old Dominion. That has to be a good 10 hours from Atlanta. Then with games in Delaware, near Philly, Baltimore, Harrisonburg. Nothing is close. How far away do teams usually separate between taking a plane vs a bus? Not saying it wouldn't work, just the moving that many people for any conference away game seems .... well, really high.

I'd love to see them start football though.

Plus, could the CAA hold together with 14 schools? With Stony Brook and possibly Albany going full scholarship, does that affect anything for the future of the league?

BearsCountry
September 29th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Out of curiosity, does anybody remember a 14-team football conference? The biggest I can remember seeing is 12, but I might be missing one.

MAC had 14 with Marshall and UCF, now they are at 13. WAC used to have 16 before it broke up and the MWC was born.

BearsCountry
September 29th, 2007, 12:40 AM
The costs for Georgia State to move a football team around the CAA seem high. The closest schools would be William & Mary and Old Dominion. That has to be a good 10 hours from Atlanta. Then with games in Delaware, near Philly, Baltimore, Harrisonburg. Nothing is close. How far away do teams usually separate between taking a plane vs a bus? Not saying it wouldn't work, just the moving that many people for any conference away game seems .... well, really high.

I'd love to see them start football though.

Plus, could the CAA hold together with 14 schools? With Stony Brook and possibly Albany going full scholarship, does that affect anything for the future of the league?

I think you will see America East football in the future especially with the playoffs expanding.