PDA

View Full Version : Who's better.. UMass or Delaware

ChickenMan
September 27th, 2007, 01:01 PM
Some interesting comments from Towson coach Combs on comparing UD to UMASS, which he played he week before UD. He made these to Bruce Dowd who covers CAA football for College Sportingnews (FCS)

Coach Combs had this to say on Monday during the coaches conference call; “. . . you know we played two very good quarterbacks . . . last year Liam Coen was third team and Joe Flacco was right up there and he is an excellent player . . . so it’s tough. Anytime you play a team that is as well balanced as those two teams . . . what’s your poison going to be . . . if you try and load up on the run, they will throw the football. Joe gets rid of the ball so quickly; he is so big [six foot six] and looks over everybody. He is such a threat. Liam Coen is more of a play action guy.”

While that was interesting information, I wasn’t satisfied and decided to put coach Combs on the spot. So, I asked coach Combs to compare the teams. I asked if he would be kind enough not to give me a “pc” answer like “they are both real good” or something like that, and he was kind enough to answer it honestly. This was the actual heart of the question I asked him; “If Delaware and UMass were to play next week on a neutral field, which team do you think would win?” His first response was; “Can I go?”, meaning he would love to see that match-up. His true answer to this question though may actually surprise you. Here is what coach Combs had to say; “ Delaware is very, very good. I mean it is hard between the two because they both have good quarterbacks, they both have good offensive lines, they both have good running backs, they’re both physical defenses, but I would have to go with, my edge to Delaware. . . . I thought they dominated us a little bit more than UMass did . . .I just thought we could move the ball a little better against UMass than Delaware . . . I’ll go with Delaware.” So there you have it, a straight up answer. No dodging the bullet there. Thanks coach for the honest answer.

PS.. this ought to get umassfan going...

GannonFan
September 27th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I'm a homer, I'd like UD in that game. But objectively the game would be pretty good. I'd like it even better if it was in Newark... xcoolx

mcveyrl
September 27th, 2007, 01:19 PM
I read this in the CAA Today article and with all due deference to the coach, I think this is like comparing scores between two teams (maybe a little more scientific). I would REALLY like to see both UD-UMass and JMU-UMass. Only one way to settle this - CAA Championship Game (I know it's a pipe dream, but still).

If JMU doesn't make it, this is my dream National Championship match-up!!

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 27th, 2007, 01:25 PM
Don't have a problem with him saying that...he did it in a tactful way.

http://www.towsontigers.com/assets/sports/news/teamgbg.htm#TGBG.GBC

And the numbers agree with him.

mcveyrl
September 27th, 2007, 01:31 PM
Don't have a problem with him saying that...he did it in a tactful way.

http://www.towsontigers.com/assets/sports/news/teamgbg.htm#TGBG.GBC

And the numbers agree with him.

I don't have a problem either, and his opinion certainly carries more weight than mine, but I'm not going to use this to put UD ahead of UMass in my poll.

Umass74
September 27th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Second round of the 2007 playoffs, we'll get an answer.

89Hen
September 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM
It's a long haul to get IN the playoffs. One game at a time.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 27th, 2007, 01:55 PM

With the winner facing JMU in the semifinals... :p Can we say Deja Vu? :D We all have a long way to go yet.

KAUMASS
September 27th, 2007, 01:57 PM
UMass took alot of of Townson physically the week before Towson played UD. If Towson had played Delaware the week before UMass, UMass would have "dominated them" the same or more than Delaware did. UD is an awesome team this year, and I hope to see UD/UMass play each other at some point in the playoffs this year.

TigerFan17
September 27th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I like Gordy Combs a lot. He is knowledgeable and a classy guy. However...

I don't think Towson thus far is a good measuring stick for anyone. Why? We're so riddled with injuries and sloppy play that you can't really see how good our opposition is.

Examples?
In the UMass game alone we lost our starting left tackle where we have no depth...and thats Schaef's blind side and where Jermon Bushrod used to be...our playmaking WR Tommy Breaux and our short yardage back Jas Lee Rouson.
Also, several poor snaps were consequently fumbled or became botched plays creating sacks or incompletions.
One punt snap was snapped overhead for a safety and another was fumbled giving the ball to UMass at our 30.
Not to mention the INTs...

So, if a team is beating itself along with you beating it, how can you really tell how good you were? IMHO you can't.

Now don't get me wrong, both teams are better than we are and would have won either way. However, the games would have been closer I think. Especially UMass...we were moving pretty well in the air.

If we had consistent, but not necessarily good play, it would be different. But this year on the field its like a game of "whats gonna go wrong now?"

This is best settled on the field....and maybe will be, later.

henfan
September 27th, 2007, 02:13 PM
Doesn't matter who's better now. What matters is who's better come Nov. 18.

appfan2008
September 27th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I think Umass is better right now (i have them #1) but either one could be on top by the end of the year

EmeryZach
September 27th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I haven't watched any of Delaware's games yet, so I really can't say.

minuteman65
September 27th, 2007, 04:10 PM
I have to say that UMass's pass D looked shoddy early (which is why the BC game won't be too close). However, they still rolled easily in that one (and in their other games, save for Holy Cross). They're a pretty good team if they can play poorly and still win by 20-30.

89Hen
September 27th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I haven't watched any of Delaware's games yet, so I really can't say.
I only got to see UMass against Towson... you guys have GOT to stop with the penalties.

FWIW, I have UMass ranked quite a few spots higher than UD. I'd call them even right now with UD having a slight edge if the two were to meet in Newark, just because of history.

YoUDeeMan
September 27th, 2007, 05:32 PM

If we both take care of business, the meeting will be later than that. xnodx xthumbsupx

Maroon&White
September 27th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I only got to see UMass against Towson... you guys have GOT to stop with the penalties.

Sounds like what was said last year.