PDA

View Full Version : UNC-Charlotte aka Charlotte Football?

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2005, 10:42 AM
One of my friends from Sam just started grad school at Charlotte (formerly UNC-Charlotte). Said while they love basketball there, lots of folks want football really bad and I'd figure it'd be an I-AA school for sure due to their conference affiliation.

Anyone know anything about efforts there or their football history (if one existed)?

Lapper
September 2nd, 2005, 10:45 AM
They would be in the I-AA like Southern Florida did, to warm up. If they don't go that route but straight to I-A, then it would be C-USA. That school is huge.

ccujacket
September 2nd, 2005, 10:49 AM
One of my friends from Sam just started grad school at Charlotte (formerly UNC-Charlotte). Said while they love basketball there, lots of folks want football really bad and I'd figure it'd be an I-AA school for sure due to their conference affiliation.

Anyone know anything about efforts there or their football history (if one existed)?

http://www.ninernation.net/index.php?showforum=30

BlackSaturday
September 2nd, 2005, 10:52 AM
I've always thought they need a team. However, they should've developed before the Panthers came into the league. Charlotte is the mecca of "ACCism" and would be hard pressed at this point to convert a large enough fanbase.

Green Cookie Monster
September 2nd, 2005, 11:17 AM
from what I have been told by Charlotte friends of mine is...

One of the founding benefactors son was killed playing football. As part of the agreement of her giving major $$ to the school, they agreed never to field a football team in honor of her son.

believe it or not.

BlackSaturday
September 2nd, 2005, 11:18 AM
I've heard that rumor too, who knows.

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2005, 12:47 PM

Actually, their conference affiliation is C-USA. So unless C-USA drops football, moves to I-AA, or disbands altogether, UNC-Charlotte would join them as a I-A school. I can't see how or why they'd join I-AA.

Wild McGuirk
September 2nd, 2005, 12:52 PM
They just joined the A-10

Lehigh Football Nation
September 2nd, 2005, 01:04 PM

Ah, OK. So that means they, along with Richmond and Villanova will be joining a full-scholarship Patriot league..

*Then I woke up.

In all seriousness, if they're A-10, they could be associates in the SoCon, Big South, CAA... they'd have their choice.

TheValleyRaider
September 2nd, 2005, 01:29 PM

Right, my bad :o

However, given their past affiliation with C-USA, and the A-10 dropping FB, if they went for football, I'd be surprised (pleasantly, of course), if they went I-AA. Given that they also exist in the shadow of UNC, Duke, NC State, etc when it comes to the awareness of NC sports fans, wouldn't they also try to push beyond that by starting at the I-A level and trying to compete with those schools directly? Just a thought, at least.

SuperJon
September 2nd, 2005, 04:24 PM

One of the founding benefactors son was killed playing football. As part of the agreement of her giving major $$ to the school, they agreed never to field a football team in honor of her son.

believe it or not.

I'm pretty sure that's UNC-W, not Charlotte.

rokamortis
September 2nd, 2005, 05:43 PM
I had an opportunity to talk to an administrator at UNC-C this summer and he had a UNC-C Football article framed in his office. So we started talking about it and he said that the then chancellor, who was on his way out July 1, didn't really support football and wanted to push the academic areas and would let the next chancellor take it on. So now they have a new guy in charge and I expect that a big push will be made.

AndrewFU21
September 2nd, 2005, 10:21 PM

believe it or not.

I have heard the same story, except with UNC-W. I doubt either school will be playing football anytime soon.

DFW HOYA
September 3rd, 2005, 08:03 AM
believe it or not.

That sounds like the traditional urban legend. At George Washington, the story goes that arena benefactor Charles Smith's son was injured, and in excange for the arena, GW would never play football again. (The reason GW (which used to play in the Southern conference) doesn't play is that the rent for RFK stadium is too high for the crowds it was getting.)

At Rider University in the MAAC, the legend goes that they were put on the death penalty for football in 1950, and the school agreed that as a result, they would never play again...except that Rider's name is not even mentioned in the NCAA infractions database. It considered bringing back football as late as 1998 and didn't have the money for it.

There's no secret pact at the former UNC-C. As its chancellor put it, "that issue will be looked at in time but, quite honestly, right now is not the right time. There are higher priorities for our time and attention in this first year, including the quality of our academic programs of teaching and research and the effectiveness of our service to this region."

Read: We're waiting for the money.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/news/opinion/12411284.htm