PDA

View Full Version : I-AA AD says School Not Div I!

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2005, 10:21 AM
As much as I love my rivalry and my school's rivalry with Texas State - San Marcos, this is pretty bad here when you have an AD confused on the fact that his school indeed plays Division I football. It may not be I-A, but it is I-AA and it's all Div I football. Migidy and I over the Bobcat forums were discussing this and I thought I'd share.

Not good for the Bobcats when their AD doesn't know their own programs' classification...

http://txstatebobcats.collegesports.com/school-bio/txst-ask-the-ad-colm7.html
--------
Larry, I recently read that the NCAA has decided to permanently add a 12th game to Division I-A football schedules, and that games verse Division I-AA opponents will count towards their bowl eligibility. Will this rule change help us cash in and further our chances in becoming a Division I-A program? How will this affect our scheduling philosophy?

Go Bobcats, Scott in Houston

You ask a great question, Scott. What the 12 game schedule does immediately for us is open up opportunities to schedule some regional Division I opponents and assemble an attractive schedule for our fan base. As far as our "chances" of becoming a Division I program, we are very happy with the competitive opportunities that the Southland Conference provides us. I think that the whole concept of I-AA football will receive a major analysis in the coming months, and this could lead to some significant changes in the landscape of college football as we know it.

Stay tuned and thanks for your support!

Retro
September 2nd, 2005, 11:59 AM
Why do you call "Texas State" Texas State - San Marcos when there is no other school named Texas State? When they were Southwest Texas State, i bet you didn't add the san marcos then?.... I know you don't have much respect for them but trying to diminish their presence by hyphenating their name all the time is ridiculous... I don't see you hypenating Missouri State or any other schools with similar situations..

It's better for the recognition of all I-AA teams to use the simplist names not only for familierity but for advertising and TV.. Missouri State vs Texas State sounds a lot better than SW MISSOURI STATE vs TEXAS STATE - SAN MARCOS OR SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE. Don't you think?

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2005, 01:34 PM
Why do you call "Texas State" Texas State - San Marcos when there is no other school named Texas State? When they were Southwest Texas State, i bet you didn't add the san marcos then?.... I know you don't have much respect for them but trying to diminish their presence by hyphenating their name all the time is ridiculous... I don't see you hypenating Missouri State or any other schools with similar situations..

Missouri State is "officially" Missouri State. Check out the legislation that passed in Missouri. I did. Our friends who are Bobcats are "officially" Texas State Univ - San Marcos. They were going to be TxSt @ San Marcos, but they ammended the bill on the floor of the Texas Legislature to Texas State University - San Marcos. I'm a big follower of the Legislature, so I know what's up...

kats89
September 2nd, 2005, 02:22 PM

It's better for the recognition of all I-AA teams to use the simplist names not only for familierity but for advertising and TV.. Missouri State vs Texas State sounds a lot better than SW MISSOURI STATE vs TEXAS STATE - SAN MARCOS OR SOUTHWEST TEXAS STATE. Don't you think?

Why don't u go check out their university website RETRO. We are not getting on this topic again :deadhorse

Retro
September 2nd, 2005, 05:41 PM
Yes, their university site says San Marcos in smaller letters just like The university of Texas says Austin, but their athletic website just says Texas State like the University of Texas just says Texas.. We are talking about athletics, aren't we?

Does everyone refer to Texas as TEXAS at Austin? No!

I think you guys are just being childish. They are Texas State, whether your man enough to accept it or not! :spank:

igo4uni
September 2nd, 2005, 05:57 PM
After reading the AD's quotes, I think he was referring to I-A and not to all Division I teams. That's the way it looks to me. I can't imagine that he would not know that his own team is a I-AA team.

By the way, if Ralph finds out about this, he could blow a gasket!!!

http://www.thetravellady.ca/Angry_Man.jpg
"It's Division I-AA, Dam*it!!"

peace

igo4uni

bobcatfan06
September 2nd, 2005, 06:55 PM
If you would read the next sentence he says "I-AA." So whoever typed it screwed up. How do you know that is exactly what Teis said?? Where you there?? No. You are so childish it's beyond me. Maybe my girlfriend could teach you, she is a 1st grade teacher afterall? Oh and thanks Retro.

TexasTerror
September 2nd, 2005, 07:46 PM
Hey, I'm just calling it, the school, by it's official name. I've not said just "San Marcos" in a long time. These folks are just riled up that I call them "Texas State - San Marcos". I ussually just call them the Cats "up there in San Marcos" or Bobcats so I don't rile them up even more. They are the ones who have made the bigger issue of it all.

Many of our coaches still call them Southwest when you ask them about their conference rivals as do alums. Heck, I slip from time to time, but why should I call them "Texas State" when they are a) not that officially and b) they aren't a flagship like Texas or A&M (nor are they percieved as one as no one realizes the TSUS exists).

bobcatfan06
September 3rd, 2005, 01:39 AM
Because they are the only Texas State in I-AA.

Much less the ENTIRE COUNTRY. :deadhorse

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2005, 08:26 AM
Because they are the only Texas State in I-AA.

And this stands for how much longer? There have been talks for years of uniting all the system schools under one name. Angelo State almost switched over before their President saved them. If this is the case, Texas State University in San Marcos would have to be called TxSt-San Marcos.

I'm saving the confusion now... :)

bobcatfan06
September 3rd, 2005, 11:59 AM
And this stands for how much longer? There have been talks for years of uniting all the system schools under one name. Angelo State almost switched over before their President saved them. If this is the case, Texas State University in San Marcos would have to be called TxSt-San Marcos.

I'm saving the confusion now... :)

We would still be the only Texas State in I-AA. There isn't any other schools in I-AA in the TSUS besides Texas State and Sam. Angelo State is DII, Lamar doesn't have football, Sul Ross is DII ( I think, maybe DIII). So your point is not valid. Plus eveyone knows Texas State is the best University in the system anyway. ;) :bang:

TexasTerror
September 3rd, 2005, 12:53 PM
Best university in what regards?

Academically, the argument could be made either way, but both schools are on the same Tier. We each have solid programs and both of our standards have been going up. Your school costs more than us and folks in TSUS office will say 'Sam is the best bang for your buck' in higher education in this state.

Athletics, we both hold the SLC Commish Cup, but Sam has the advantage in two of the three major sports (football and basketball) with the Bobcats holding baseball. Baseball, we got a new facility, we just need to turn the corner. Basketball, you guys are bit Nutty and football, until you guys get a few good years under your belt, Sam will have you beat regardless of our W/L inconsistencies.

Great rivalry though!