PDA

View Full Version : Elon vs App sold out

gophoenix
September 26th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Elon capped the game at 13,000. Probably for safety reasons. This is family weekend at Elon which typically sees 10,000+ on normal years for Presbyterian, Johnson C Smith and other smaller schools. This topped with the fact that we have been playing well and Elon fans tend to come see App and the ton of App fans in the area have prompted a higher than normal App game.

At least App fans won't be able to claim they outnumber us this year.

I do have an extra ticket behind the App team in the reserved section if anyone may need one.

APP91
September 26th, 2007, 04:37 PM
I know some ASU fans are looking so maybe advertise that there. By the way, hopefully your ticket office is in contact with concession and stadium managers planning for the extra folks. Surely with the above normal attendance numbers they will have extra water, drinks, food etc.

Wofford did not. Guess the ticket people there forgot to get out that memo.

AlphaSigMD
September 26th, 2007, 04:49 PM
Sounds like par for the course. ASU's basketball game was there back in Feb was oversold by something like 500 people. Elon's a great atmosphere, with a beautiful campus, but hopefully the students will be leaving the game early to head back to the Crest to drink their pain away. :D

gophoenix
September 26th, 2007, 04:49 PM
I know some ASU fans are looking so maybe advertise that there. By the way, hopefully your ticket office is in contact with concession and stadium managers planning for the extra folks. Surely with the above normal attendance numbers they will have extra water, drinks, food etc.

Wofford did not. Guess the ticket people there forgot to get out that memo.

I'm thinking this is why they capped it. After seeing the mess at Wofford and at the two games at Kidd Brewer. Elon knows that the 11,000 games were close to a stretch, there is no sense in making things uncomfortable for all and overloading the bathrooms.

I will say, get in line to get in the stadium way earlier than game time. There are 8 lines through 1 gate area to enter the stadium. It WILL be a huge bottleneck. Plan for the delay.

At Family Weekend, Homecoming and A&T with attendance at 11,000, people would be in line halfway through first quarter. So just, plan ahead and try to set aside time before the game to get in, you'll need it. This is the one area of Rhodes that they need to fix.

Saint3333
September 26th, 2007, 05:08 PM
ASU is drawing very well everywhere they go. Let's give a little more credit for the big crowd to the interest the black and gold bring. I'm not saying they are all ASU fans, but the team's fans and family as well as locals will more likely come to this game than any other of Wofford's, Elon's, Citadel's, etc.

ElonPride
September 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
ASU is drawing very well everywhere they go. Let's give a little more credit for the big crowd to the interest the black and gold bring. I'm not saying they are all ASU fans, but the team's fans and family as well as locals will more likely come to this game than any other of Wofford's, Elon's, Citadel's, etc.

We generally get anywhere from 8,000-11,000 on family weekend during we have crappy teams!!!!!

There are many variables for the game being large.....our team is playing well, we're now ranked and playing App.

The ticket office said late last week that "ticket sales for the visitors is much lower than expected."

bustingnut
September 26th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Yep, that crazy 2000 people jump has nothing to do with App fans... It's a coincidence that every App game is selling out fast all over the southern conference... Now how many of your other games are sold out? This is the second week in a row where the hosting school has said that "less" App fans are buying tickets. I find that to be bs.

ElonPride
September 26th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Yep, that crazy 2000 people jump has nothing to do with App fans... It's a coincidence that every App game is selling out fast all over the southern conference... Now how many of your other games are sold out? This is the second week in a row where the hosting school has said that "less" App fans are buying tickets. I find that to be bs.

Like I said, there are also other variables to take into account.....ass.

bustingnut
September 26th, 2007, 06:10 PM
"ticket sales for the visitors is much lower than expected."

Well nice of you to turn a cut on Elon and Wofford's ticket offices into a personal attack.

gophoenix
September 26th, 2007, 06:12 PM

You can find it BS if you want to. Some of you guys make outlandish claims about your road travelers all the time. We scheduled this for family weekend for a reason, to keep other fans out of our stadium for a big game and to get the most Elon fans into it. And you know what, it worked. So make your claims that you'll outnumber us. It won't be true this year. And make your claims that it is just because of you. It isn't. It would be like this for any big game on family weekend. 5200 students time 2.5 family members = how many potential fans?

And you're right, parents are more likely to want to go see us play Wofford, Furman, App, GSU, W&M, Richmond than Johnson C Smith, ETSU, Presbyterian, North Alabama, and others that we've played for family weekend.

Everything is due to APP, no other reason right? Some of you guys are not only so full of yourselves, but you're hypocrites. Maybe ifthose of you bandwagon App fans that just started posting didn't turn everything into smack, people wouldn't react they way they do.

Not all of you are like this. And even the ones that I argue with the most aren't. We've been arguing for years. I am talking about the new guys that created accounts after the Michigan game that come here just to talk smack and the ones whining about Wofford running up the score.

bustingnut
September 26th, 2007, 06:19 PM
You can take "you guys" and shove it up your flaming feathery butt. Look at my posts, I claim nothing, I mostly read. Dont lump me in with people I dont even associate with. As for band wagon fan go F yourself, I love my school.

ElonPride
September 26th, 2007, 06:25 PM
"ticket sales for the visitors is much lower than expected."

Well nice of you to turn a cut on Elon and Wofford's ticket offices into a personal attack.

I was just stating what was quoted by our ticket office in the local paper. You were the one not reading the facts, and turned it into something else.

gophoenix
September 26th, 2007, 06:30 PM
You can take "you guys" and shove it up your flaming feathery butt. Look at my posts, I claim nothing, I mostly read. Dont lump me in with people I dont even associate with. As for band wagon fan go F yourself, I love my school.

Mature response xrolleyesx

bustingnut
September 26th, 2007, 06:32 PM
"This is the second week in a row where the hosting school has said that "less" App fans are buying tickets."

Substitute ElonPride in there, and it'd be about you personally.

And by the way, nothing you wrote was a fact, except what the ticket office said, it was all opinion.

gophoenix
September 26th, 2007, 06:36 PM
BTW, ticket is gone. A friend of mine from App snapped it up. A friend who was going to go see Presbyterian play NC Central. What a waste when you can go to a SoCon game. That's where it is at.....

bustingnut
September 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
I wish I was mature enough to attack somebody who expresses an opinion of a ticket dept. and I'm done...

HiHiYikas
September 26th, 2007, 07:25 PM
I didn't buy visitor's tickets. I just googled "Elon Football," clicked here and there, and ordered 4 tickets. I'm probably not the only App fan who did it that way.

According to the "Elon Roll Call" thread on the Mountaineer Message Board, there will be anywhere between 58 and 62 ASU fans there.

appsfan
September 26th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I bought 2 tickets for Elon through the ASU ticket office with my season tickets. I read somewhere (Burlington Times?) that App sold our allotment of 250 tickets before the season. That sounds low to me, but there are probably a large number who did it your way HiHiyikas.
BTW, I think from an Elon perspective it was good to schedule Family Day when we are there. As they have said, they are assured a large crowd that will at worst be sympathetic to the Phoenix. I guess we will see Saturday how much Black and Gold makes it to Elon.

ASU88
September 26th, 2007, 08:18 PM
I had to get my tix through the Elon site. I went two years ago and it was a lovely spot to watch a game.

Should be a better game this year, too.

AlphaSigMD
September 26th, 2007, 09:32 PM
Alright...while we are discussing ticketing issues...

Does anybody know if tickets to Elon's homecoming game are still being sold via this same Elon website? Are they sold out? My girlfriend's an alumni and is heading down to NC for Homecoming, and she's gonna be broken-hearted if she doesn't get into the game.

Thanks for any help!

walliver
September 26th, 2007, 09:42 PM

Does anybody know if tickets to Elon's homecoming game are still being sold via this same Elon website? Are they sold out? My girlfriend's an alumni and is heading down to NC for Homecoming, and she's gonna be broken-hearted if she doesn't get into the game.

Thanks for any help!

Do you really think that game will be a sell-out?

Elon has games that sell well. But also games that don't sell well at all.

walliver
September 26th, 2007, 09:48 PM

The Wofford game was only number 4 on our list. Our top drawing game was against the hated horsey people from Traveller's Rest. The next two games were against SC State. I guess the fact that the game was on TV hurt attendance, since I had heard that a record crowd was expected.

AlphaSigMD
September 26th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Do you really think that game will be a sell-out?

Elon has games that sell well. But also games that don't sell well at all.

Depends on how well they do this weekend I guess. Maybe?

AlphaSigMD
September 26th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I guess now that I think about it, I've never had a problem getting into any of the homecoming games at ASU during all the 90's and until 2004. So maybe not...

It's gonna be so wierd going back to boone and having to compete for tickets.....

gophoenix
September 26th, 2007, 10:56 PM

Thanks for any help!

They do sell them on the web site. And like most schools with bandwagon fans, it depends on how well we do leading up to homecoming. Most or our homecomings get 9k-11k with one being less (a really bad year).

My guess is that we won't have an issue. We play UTC, and that is usually not one of our bigger drawing games of previous years and UTC fans don't travel well to this area (not a smack against them, it is a long drive).

Saint3333
September 27th, 2007, 07:45 AM
If family day draws 8-10K and 13K are expected for Saturday's game that would mean that ASU is bringing in a crowd that is 30-60% larger than the typical Elon family day crowd.

I'd say that's a big impact.

appfan2008
September 27th, 2007, 08:04 AM
We bought our 2 tickets through elon's website so obviously many people our going this route and not being counted as visitors... it will be interesting to see how many of us show up

lizrdgizrd
September 27th, 2007, 08:22 AM
BTW, ticket is gone. A friend of mine from App snapped it up. A friend who was going to go see Presbyterian play NC Central. What a waste when you can go to a SoCon game. That's where it is at.....
Hey, I have a friend who plays for PC! :p

gophoenix
September 27th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Hey, I have a friend who plays for PC! :p

Yeah, I wonder who I possibly could have been talking about???? :D

lizrdgizrd
September 27th, 2007, 08:38 AM
Yeah, I wonder who I possibly could have been talking about???? :D
I have no idea. xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

appman111
September 27th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Me and the 11 people I'm coming with all bought our tickets on the Elon site. Should be a HUGE app turnout.

lizrdgizrd
September 27th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Any App folks planning on going to the ASU Alumni barbecue?

asu70
September 27th, 2007, 02:00 PM
I had to get my tix through the Elon site. I went two years ago and it was a lovely spot to watch a game.

Should be a better game this year, too.

I purchased my 4 tickets through the Elon site after App's ticket office had sold out 3 weeks ago.

appfan2008
September 27th, 2007, 03:04 PM

not planning on it... but would be fun to check it out

lizrdgizrd
September 27th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I'll be there with gophoenix and some other App folks. xthumbsupx

appfan2008
September 27th, 2007, 03:14 PM
where will you be liz? might want to come by and meet you... never have met any ags guys!

lizrdgizrd
September 27th, 2007, 03:57 PM
where will you be liz? might want to come by and meet you... never have met any ags guys!
It's supposed to be Firehouse Field. That's down Williamson on the opposite side of the railroad tracks from the stadium. It's right across the road from the firestation. You'll see a bunch of cars parked in a grass field, can't miss it. Look for the ASU Alumni tent. xnodx

appfan2008
September 27th, 2007, 04:13 PM
sounds good i hope there is still space when i get there... i will be arriving about 1145 or so

gophoenix
September 27th, 2007, 06:31 PM
sounds good i hope there is still space when i get there... i will be arriving about 1145 or so

He'll be at the App tailgate. And, as much as it pains me to say, I will be too. Since ElonPride and all the other Elon fan friends I have moved out of state and/or work Saturdays now, it is hard to get everyone together for games. This month everyone got together for the Liberty game, so me being the local guy gets to go to this game with friends of mine that went to App from High School.

I'm hoping to run into B&G Express since I haven't seen him since, well, the App/Troy State game in 2000.

HiHiYikas
September 27th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I'll be there

appfan2008
September 27th, 2007, 07:41 PM
He'll be at the App tailgate. And, as much as it pains me to say, I will be too. Since ElonPride and all the other Elon fan friends I have moved out of state and/or work Saturdays now, it is hard to get everyone together for games. This month everyone got together for the Liberty game, so me being the local guy gets to go to this game with friends of mine that went to App from High School.

I'm hoping to run into B&G Express since I haven't seen him since, well, the App/Troy State game in 2000.

that should be fun for you even if it is with us crazy app people!

chattanoogamocs
September 27th, 2007, 08:04 PM
They do sell them on the web site. And like most schools with bandwagon fans, it depends on how well we do leading up to homecoming. Most or our homecomings get 9k-11k with one being less (a really bad year).

My guess is that we won't have an issue. We play UTC, and that is usually not one of our bigger drawing games of previous years and UTC fans don't travel well to this area (not a smack against them, it is a long drive).

I am envious of all the other schools in the SoCon...close enough to each other that their fans can attend road games without much difficulty...WCU is the only game we have within 4 hours of Chattanooga...and, of course, our graduates mainly live in Southeast Tennessee, Nashville, Atlanta, etc...not many out in the Carolina's.

AlphaSigMD
September 27th, 2007, 08:35 PM
I am envious of all the other schools in the SoCon...close enough to each other that their fans can attend road games without much difficulty...WCU is the only game we have within 4 hours of Chattanooga...and, of course, our graduates mainly live in Southeast Tennessee, Nashville, Atlanta, etc...not many out in the Carolina's.

You see plenty of ASU and GSU in the national championship game. :D

appsfan
September 27th, 2007, 08:41 PM

My wife and I will be at the Alumni tailgate. We paid for it a couple weeks ago. xthumbsupx

proasu89
September 27th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Somebody please have some BBQ and Bud for mexbawlingx

gophoenix
September 27th, 2007, 09:29 PM

Skybus will have cheap direct flights from Chattanooga to Greensboro soon starting at $10 for the first ten seats on every flight.

That may help us travel there and you travel here????

HaveFunKc
September 27th, 2007, 09:58 PM
You see plenty of ASU and GSU in the national championship game. :D

Ouch! xnodx

HaveFunKc
September 27th, 2007, 10:01 PM

Gotta love Samford in '08! xthumbsupx

AppState09
September 27th, 2007, 11:16 PM
All 8 of us got our tickets through elon. When my friend called up and asked for a ticket for the "App State game" the ticket guy was offended and said "you mean the elon vs app state game." If we don't bring 4,000 fans I will be surprised. We easily had that at wofford.

ASU88
September 28th, 2007, 04:55 AM
All 8 of us got our tickets through elon. When my friend called up and asked for a ticket for the "App State game" the ticket guy was offended and said "you mean the elon vs app state game." If we don't bring 4,000 fans I will be surprised. We easily had that at wofford.

We should bring that many easily. We probably had close to that 2 years ago before winning the first trophy. Much more buzz now.

SoCon48
September 28th, 2007, 06:45 AM
We should bring that many easily. We probably had close to that 2 years ago before winning the first trophy. Much more buzz now.

Problem is, it is Family Day at E. Only tickets available are on the grass and I'm sure they'll limit those.

AppGirl
September 28th, 2007, 08:31 AM

I'll be there with my 14 year old son. Hubby and the 12 year old have to go to a soccer game.

citdog
September 28th, 2007, 08:38 AM

dude we are in the top 7 in attandence EVERY YEAR IN THE ENTIRE FCS! and we have 2,000 students! you will be outnumbered in Charleston 18,000 to 1!

lizrdgizrd
September 28th, 2007, 08:57 AM
dude we are in the top 7 in attandence EVERY YEAR IN THE ENTIRE FCS! and we have 2,000 students! you will be outnumbered in Charleston 18,000 to 1!
It's not like you guys have any competition for football in Charleston. xeyebrowx

gophoenix
September 28th, 2007, 09:00 AM

You won't and haven't ever brought that many fans to Elon. 2500, maybe, in the best year 4 years ago. Two years ago the game had 6,000 people and there were at best 1000 App fans and maybe 500 Elon fans after the 1st quarter. You guys travel well, but not that well.

It's the claims like this that make other fans defensive...

Elon is not Wofford. Elon is about 5 times the size of Wofford, more students come (just less locals as we aren't the only game in the area like in Spartanburg). We have more living alumni than Wofford (and App has more living alumni than us). And from reports at Wofford, there weren't 4000 App fans there either,

And you want to talk about buzz? Heaven forbid any Elon fans be coming out of the woodwork for a top25 team or game against the best FCS team?

So, you won't have anywhere close to 4000. 2000 max and that is just basing off previous Family Weekend games.

I have no problem with App fans. Some of my best friends are App fans. But you guys aren't god's gift to football and attendance. I have never heard people so focused on numbers before. I've never heard Delaware, Montana or any other fans outside you and GSU talk this way.

citdog
September 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM
It's not like you guys have any competition for football in Charleston. xeyebrowx

and the metroplois of Boone, NC does? xrolleyesx

lizrdgizrd
September 28th, 2007, 09:04 AM
and the metroplois of Boone, NC does? xrolleyesx
Nope, that's why we pack 30K into our stadium. xsmiley_wix

Of course, that's more than the total of all the residents in Boone and all the students at App. xeyebrowx

citdog
September 28th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Nope, that's why we pack 30K into our stadium. xsmiley_wix

lose to Elon and you will be back to looking up at The Citadel in the attendence list! xeyebrowx

lizrdgizrd
September 28th, 2007, 09:08 AM
lose to Elon and you will be back to looking up at The Citadel in the attendence list! xeyebrowx
I'll worry about that when it happens. Although by 2015 our stadium expansion should be done so who knows how big our crowds will be. xlolx

citdog
September 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I'll worry about that when it happens. Although by 2015 our stadium expansion should be done so who knows how big our crowds will be. xlolx

the next time app comes to Charleston we will have the new General Johnson Hagood, CSA Stadium done, and it will have only take us 4 years!

lizrdgizrd
September 28th, 2007, 09:15 AM
the next time app comes to Charleston we will have the new General Johnson Hagood, CSA Stadium done, and it will have only take us 4 years!
Well technically this round of improvements is supposed to be done in the next year or so, but I'm hoping for an expansion of the east side stands soon. I figure it might get done by then since it's not part of this work. xnodx

james_lawfirm
September 28th, 2007, 09:22 AM
You won't and haven't ever brought that many fans to Elon. 2500, maybe, in the best year 4 years ago. Two years ago the game had 6,000 people and there were at best 1000 App fans and maybe 500 Elon fans after the 1st quarter. You guys travel well, but not that well.

Elon is not Wofford. Elon is about 5 times the size of Wofford, more students come (just less locals as we aren't the only game in the area like in Spartanburg). We have more living alumni than Wofford (and App has more living alumni than us). And from reports at Wofford, there weren't 4000 App fans there either,

And you want to talk about buzz? Heaven forbid any Elon fans be coming out of the woodwork for a top25 team or game against the best FCS team?

So, you won't have anywhere close to 4000. 2000 max and that is just basing off previous Family Weekend games.

I have no problem with App fans. Some of my best friends are App fans. But you guys aren't god's gift to football and attendance. I have never heard people so focused on numbers before. I've never heard Delaware, Montana or any other fans outside you and GSU talk this way.

Gophoenix:

Chill, dude. You're the one who seems to be arguing numbers.

I was at the last Elon/App game at Elon. It sure looked to me like half the crowd was App fans. Although, granted that counting a crowd like that is more art than science. Half of 10k is 5k. My guess for App fans at tomorrow's game is @ 5k.

On a side note, I am delighted with Elon's recent resurgence & their ranking by Sports Network. Congrats. Your QB appears to be really good. Coach Lembo is top notch too. If memory serves, he brought a tough Lafayette team to the playoffs in Boone in '05.

gophoenix
September 28th, 2007, 09:51 AM
Gophoenix:

Chill, dude. You're the one who seems to be arguing numbers.

I was at the last Elon/App game at Elon. It sure looked to me like half the crowd was App fans. Although, granted that counting a crowd like that is more art than science. Half of 10k is 5k. My guess for App fans at tomorrow's game is @ 5k.

On a side note, I am delighted with Elon's recent resurgence & their ranking by Sports Network. Congrats. Your QB appears to be really good. Coach Lembo is top notch too. If memory serves, he brought a tough Lafayette team to the playoffs in Boone in '05.

Elon easily had 1500 at the Elon/App game in Boone last year and it looked like 250 because of the stadium size and that 1500 in the middle of 26,000 looks like nothin. App brings 2000 to Elon in a smaller stadium there are 10,000 people there, of course it looks like more than it is.

Maybe I should just head App fans off. We know there will be 13,000 fans at the game tomorrow. Let's just go ahead and start saying that there were 12,000 App fans. Let's get it out in the open now.

BulldogFan
September 28th, 2007, 10:03 AM
lizrdgizrd, by 2015 you will have been moved up to a FBS conference, ala Marshall. So realistically, your stadium expansion has little to do with annual FCS attendance stats.

lizrdgizrd
September 28th, 2007, 10:14 AM
lizrdgizrd, by 2015 you will have been moved up to a FBS conference, ala Marshall. So realistically, your stadium expansion has little to do with annual FCS attendance stats.
I wouldn't assume that at all. xsmhx

lizrdgizrd
September 28th, 2007, 10:15 AM
Elon easily had 1500 at the Elon/App game in Boone last year and it looked like 250 because of the stadium size and that 1500 in the middle of 26,000 looks like nothin. App brings 2000 to Elon in a smaller stadium there are 10,000 people there, of course it looks like more than it is.

Maybe I should just head App fans off. We know there will be 13,000 fans at the game tomorrow. Let's just go ahead and start saying that there were 12,000 App fans. Let's get it out in the open now.
Now, you know App's not going to have 12K in there. It'll be all 13K. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix

gophoenix
September 28th, 2007, 10:28 AM
Now, you know App's not going to have 12K in there. It'll be all 13K. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xsmiley_wix

12999, I am going with you.xthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
September 28th, 2007, 10:30 AM
12999, I am going with you.xthumbsupx
We'll have you converted by the end of half-time. :D

AppState09
September 28th, 2007, 02:57 PM
gophoenix, chill out man

I understand you hate app fans that aren't your friends. I made one post about what I thought we will bring. Take it for what its worth and be as critical to any app fan as have been here. I simply made one post and I believe your the one being critical about numbers through your posts. Goodluck this weekend and don't take offense when you see black and gold in Rhodes tomorrow.

ASU
September 30th, 2007, 03:55 AM

Why would Appalachian want to move to FBS? Don't U think we would miss the Citadel? Can't go without them. Personally I think the whole Southern Conference should move up or stay.....just get tired of the "Big Boys" talking about them being "Big Boys" when they are so full of crap....like it makes them something special.

gophoenix
September 30th, 2007, 06:24 AM
Why would Appalachian want to move to FBS? Don't U think we would miss the Citadel? Can't go without them. Personally I think the whole Southern Conference should move up or stay.....just get tired of the "Big Boys" talking about them being "Big Boys" when they are so full of crap....like it makes them something special.

Both divisions should just be combined if you ask me. Attendance and scholarship numbers have nothing to do with the success of a program.

The only problem with "Big Boys" is that we have the same attitude here in our division...

Saint3333
September 30th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I think there's a pretty strong correlation between attendance and scholarships with success of a program.

More scholarships leads to more wins which in turn leads to better attendance. Watch what happens to the play of schools that go from 0 to 30 to 60 scholarships and then watch their attendance.

Kiss My Apps
October 1st, 2007, 08:30 AM

So... now that you've had a couple days to think about your observations from last Saturday's game, do you still think the 2000 number is accurate?

lizrdgizrd
October 1st, 2007, 08:52 AM
So... now that you've had a couple days to think about your observations from last Saturday's game, do you still think the 2000 number is accurate?
I'm pretty sure it was at least 2500 and maybe as much as 4K but not more than that. There was almost no black on the side with the press box and there were plenty of Elon folks mixed in with us on the small side. We even saw one confused young lady wearing a yellow shirt with Elon on it. We weren't sure if she was really a secret App fan or not. xlolx xlolx