PDA

View Full Version : Game of the Week - Week 5

89Hen
September 26th, 2007, 12:38 PM
TOUGH week to pick only 10 (poll feature only allows 10 choices)... I had run through and pared it best I could and still had too many so I decided to only go with games that involved teams in the AGS Top 25 that I thought were good match-ups. xpeacex

HONORABLE MENTION TO:
San Diego at Butler
Harvard at Lehigh
Grambling State at Prairie View
Portland State at Eastern Washington
Alabama State vs. Southern

PLEASE try to vote objectively. xthumbsupx

blackfordpu
September 26th, 2007, 01:02 PM
My vote, Wofford vs. Furman. We will see if Wofford is for real or not.

andy7171
September 26th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Me too. Wofford vs Furman.

buckp
September 26th, 2007, 01:10 PM

Probably the best rivalry. Wish I could watch it....live!xnodx

89Hen
September 26th, 2007, 01:18 PM
I can't make up my mind. I think the game with the most playoff implications may be Delaware State at Hampton and no offense to HU but I'd love to see somebody different from the MEAC win and who better than DelSt? xthumbsupx

UMass922
September 26th, 2007, 01:19 PM
DSU-Hampton. This one will more likely prove to be a playoff elimination game than any of the others listed.

blueballs
September 26th, 2007, 01:21 PM

I think Wofford proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that they are for real this past Saturday.

IMO we will see if Furman is for real. This game sets up nicely for them on paper... They have the game at home, the have MOL owned Wofford in their series, they've have had a week off to prepare and get healed up, and in many ways this is a must game for them with two losses already on the ledger.

CopperCat
September 26th, 2007, 01:23 PM

Ditto.

Big Dawg
September 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM
DSU vs Hampton

Early playoff implications. A win by DSU might spring board their season and add some momentum as the season really gets rolling. A win by Hampton makes things very interesting. I still think the top 4 teams in the MEAC is DSU, Hampton, FAMU, and SCSU. The MEAC race hasn't even began to heat up yet.

Big Dawg
September 26th, 2007, 01:28 PM
Oh yeah honorable mention

One of the biggest rivalries in FCS

The MIGHTY RATTLERS OF FLORIDA A&M

vs

The BIG BLUE TIGERS OF TENNESSEE ST.

At the Georgia Dome...The last 4 games have all been decided by a 7 points or less and always comes down to the last play.

lizrdgizrd
September 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I think FU vs WC is the big game this week. If Furman can't pull out the win they aren't going to see the playoffs this season. If they do then the SoCon race gets even thicker. xnodx

CamelCityAppFan
September 26th, 2007, 01:48 PM
Wofford -- Furman!

Has huge implications regardless of who wins. If Wofford wins, they have any early advantage in the fight for the SoCon Championship (and it's auto bid into the playoffs). If Furman wins (and App and GSU win as well), then the SoCon becomes wide open for the rest of the season.

OL FU
September 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM
FU Wofford,

From a non-homer standpoint - UNI and ISU is a very close second. xnodx

asu70
September 26th, 2007, 02:01 PM
FU Wofford,

From a non-homer standpoint - UNI and ISU is a very close second. xnodx

Ditto!

mikebigg
September 26th, 2007, 02:22 PM
I picked the Wofford vs Furman game because they are the two highest rank teams per 1 matchup. Plus Wofford is coming off a huge win over Defending Champ (and Big Ten leading) App State.

In our conference (SWAC), Two undefeated conference teams (Bama State and SU) will get together in Mobile for a neutral site Classic. Should be a really good one... October begins elimination month in the SWAC.

813Jag
September 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I picked the Wofford vs Furman game because they are the two highest rank teams per 1 matchup. Plus Wofford is coming off a huge win over Defending Champ (and Big Ten leading) App State.

In our conference (SWAC), Two undefeated conference teams (Bama State and SU) will get together in Mobile for a neutral site Classic. Should be a really good one... October begins elimination month in the SWAC.

I agree and the Gulf Coast Classic begins a huge 4 game stretch for the Jags. October will be real interesting.

HIU 93
September 26th, 2007, 02:49 PM

vs

At the Georgia Dome...The last 4 games have all been decided by a 7 points or less and always comes down to the last play.

75K in the ATL. Man, I have to get to this game one year!

813Jag
September 26th, 2007, 02:51 PM

vs

I really wanted to go to this game. Is it on TV?

89Hen
September 26th, 2007, 02:53 PM
In our conference (SWAC), Two undefeated conference teams (Bama State and SU) will get together in Mobile for a neutral site Classic.
xoopsx Should have listed that one.

BDKJMU
September 26th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I picked UNH @ UR. man, UR has looked good in their 2 wins, only loss is to Vanderbilt, and is now ranked. UNH loses to JMU then upsets Marshall and throttles Dartmouth. This is a HUGE game as far as the CAA standings go. We'll see if UR is for real.

Big Dawg
September 26th, 2007, 03:12 PM

*delete*

T-Dogg
September 26th, 2007, 03:17 PM
No, Question......Wofford vs. Purple Paladins!

Big Dawg
September 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM

Actually yes it is...FAMU vs TSU will be on FSN South and FSN Florida

813Jag
September 26th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Actually yes it is...FAMU vs TSU will be on FSN South and FSN Florida
Thanks. xthumbsupx

OL FU
September 26th, 2007, 05:01 PM
I picked UNH @ UR. man, UR has looked good in their 2 wins, only loss is to Vanderbilt, and is now ranked. UNH loses to JMU then upsets Marshall and throttles Dartmouth. This is a HUGE game as far as the CAA standings go. We'll see if UR is for real.

My third choice although all three are really really close to being first choice.

Go Richmond. Gotta stick with the small privatesxnodx ( I hate that term)xmadx

Go...gate
September 26th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Yale - Holy Cross will be a great game.

crusader11
September 26th, 2007, 06:05 PM
the yale vs holy cross game could have early implications about who is the favorite in each of their respective leagues

Cap'n Cat
September 26th, 2007, 06:21 PM
This thread is DRIPPING with East Coast bias!

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx xmadx xmadx xmadx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

:p :p :p

YaleFootballFan
September 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Yale - Holy Cross will be a great game.

No doubt.

This game reminds me of the '81 clash between the Elis and Crusaders where both teams had excellent starts heading into the game at Worcester. Yale was 3-0 coming off a home win over Navy, while Holy Cross was 3-1. Yale edged HC 29-28 at Fitton that afternoon enrout to a 9-1 Ivy Championship Season.

A win this Saturday by the Crusaders will put them in the Top 25 for sure. I'm surprised they're not in it already.

igo4uni
September 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I voted for the Wofford game. Should be real interesting!!

JALMOND
September 26th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Delaware State/Hampton...

Both teams are looking good and both want respect from the rest of the FCS. The winner can claim an excellent victory while the loser will definitely have a long way to go.

From a non playoff point of view, I'd go with Southern and Alabama State in Mobile. Winner will be 5-0.

Out west, not many good games of this caliber, but one that I'll say is "intriging" is UC-Davis at San Jose State. If both teams show up, it will be a great one. If only one or neither show (and that could happen between these two), the game could get ugly in a hurry.

BlueHen86
September 26th, 2007, 08:45 PM
I went with Del St. - Hampton. This is a key game for two teams in a conference that is likely to only get one playoff bid.

Old Montana State Grad
September 26th, 2007, 08:55 PM
I voted for the Wofford game. Should be real interesting!!

...and I vote for the Furman gamexlolx There's some great games to run back to the motel after the MSU-ISU game to see who won and I can't wait to see how Oklahoma does either (have them picked as the most overlooked team in football right now).

skinny_uncle
September 26th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I had to go with the UNI game. When a #1 is playing a ranked team, it is hard to beat that.

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 26th, 2007, 10:44 PM
I voted for the Wofford-Furman game............I'm anxious to see the outcome of the UNH-Richmond game.....

Old Montana State Grad
September 26th, 2007, 11:02 PM
On this poll, is there a game anyone would not love to have one of our sixteen screen security cameras like we put in schools? (I've got to admit I could give a rip about any A-10 or whatever y'all call yourselves this year game, unless it involves New Hampshire and that's only because I want to see them get beat because they lied about George O'Leary's letter...)

DaGriz
September 27th, 2007, 12:07 AM
I'm most interested in how App. St. rebounds after a loss. Is Edwards back or still shelved? They haven't exactly looked like the same team that beat Michigan since they won that game.

crunifan
September 27th, 2007, 12:39 AM
I voted North Dakota State at Western Illinois.

I'm interested in seeing how good WIU is.

89Hen
September 27th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Glad to see so many people vote for their own team. xrolleyesx xcoffeex

mcveyrl
September 27th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Glad to see so many people vote for their own team. xrolleyesx xcoffeex

You're just mad because Delaware-Monmouth's not on there.xlolx

Seriously though...I'd like to hear the argument that JMU-Villanova is the game of the week in the CAA, much less nationwide...

I don't think it's there.

unigriff
September 27th, 2007, 10:44 AM
if/when UNI beats ISU this weekend, ill be suprised if #1 UNI vs. top 5 ranked SIU is not the game of the week in 2 weeks!

89Hen
September 27th, 2007, 10:45 AM
if/when UNI beats ISU this weekend, ill be suprised if #1 UNI vs. top 5 ranked SIU is not the game of the week in 2 weeks!
Let's not get ahead of ourselves. :p

unigriff
September 27th, 2007, 10:48 AM
of course ISU first:) but what more could u ask for on homecoming in the Dome....being #1 and playing ur rival who is in the top 5....especially after 2005's game. Wow. I get goosebumps just thinking of the possibilities.

but ISU first...then SIU:)

89Hen
September 27th, 2007, 11:58 AM
of course ISU first:) but what more could u ask for on homecoming in the Dome....being #1 and playing ur rival who is in the top 5....especially after 2005's game. Wow. I get goosebumps just thinking of the possibilities.

but ISU first...then SIU:)
And SIU has to get past YSU to come in that high. Lots of ball to be played.

spelunker64
September 27th, 2007, 12:49 PM
UNI vs. IlSt

NDSU vs. WIU close second...

OhioHen
September 27th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Despite having several ranked vs. ranked matchups, I went with DSU@HU. A Pirates win pushes them toward the top 10 while a Hornets victory would go a long way in building overall validation for a possible 2nd MEAC playoff bid.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 27th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I really expect the ISU game to be relatively easy for the Panthers. I have trouble believing that ISU is a top tier team this year.

Richmond, though, with a RB that carried for nearly 300 yards last week and has home-run potential should give UNH fits. Losing 2 conference games so early would really put UNH in a position where it will be extremely tough to get to the playoffs. This game got my vote.

W. Ill - tough game vs. NDSU, can't see it not going NDSU's way, but you never know.

Hampton v Del St. - This is my #2 choice tied with Wofford v. Furman. Again. Pretty much a MEAC title game, so long as SC State doesn't sneak up on anybody, and Wofford has a chance to effectively cripple Furman's chances at post season play.

Regardless of your opinions, many great match ups this weekend!

TTUEagles
September 27th, 2007, 03:48 PM
You mean there is no mention of the big tilt between UT-Martin hosting Tennessee Tech ????
(sarcasm noted)

redspider
September 27th, 2007, 08:41 PM
That is very true I think that if we win this one we are on our way to the playoffs, yes I know it is to early to be sure, but I think if we lose it that it puts us under pressure to win the Townson game. I think that this will be a great offensive matchup and that it is the game of the week.

Fresno St. Alum
September 27th, 2007, 08:44 PM
N.Iowa vs. Illinois St.

I also want to see how UMass vs. Boston College turns out.

ngineer
September 27th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I voted for the Wofford/Furman game. After last week's huge win, Wofford will have to keep it's energy up...now a marked team as well and against a very tough opponent. Any 'let down' will result in the Paladins causing a 'return to earth' feeling real quick.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 27th, 2007, 10:43 PM
I think the Wofford/Furman game is a big one for shaping the playoff picture in the Socon. If Furman loses, then they have to beat The Citadel at The Citadel, beat GSU at GSU, and beat App. State at home. They have to win all of thse and beat the rest of the hungry Socon (Elon, Chatty). Their chances of winning all three of those are very slim.

UNH_Alum_In_CT
September 27th, 2007, 11:19 PM
On this poll, is there a game anyone would not love to have one of our sixteen screen security cameras like we put in schools? (I've got to admit I could give a rip about any A-10 or whatever y'all call yourselves this year game, unless it involves New Hampshire and that's only because I want to see them get beat because they lied about George O'Leary's letter...)

I think you need to redo your research on that issue! xnonox xnonox IIRC, George lied, UNH didn't.