PDA

View Full Version : Question to Griz backers....

Casey_Orourke
September 25th, 2007, 06:21 PM
I have a question for Griz backers, and please be honest and objective. This may have already been asked, but I am curious as to your thoughts.

If by some chance (I'm not saying it will, but you never know), Bobby Hauck were to suddenly leave for a job on an FBS staff, and a hew coach brought in a new staff and a new philosophy on offense and defense that is a complete 180 from what it was in the past........Would the Griz be as good as they are now, or would there be some confusion in the ranks.

I don't want this to be an anology to PSU's current problems, but I think it happens to every team at least once in its history, and I just want an honest evaluation of what can happen to a successful program when the coach leave and a newcomer enters.

CrunchGriz
September 25th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I have a question for Griz backers, and please be honest and objective. This may have already been asked, but I am curious as to your thoughts.

If by some chance (I'm not saying it will, but you never know), Bobby Hauck were to suddenly leave for a job on an FBS staff, and a hew coach brought in a new staff and a new philosophy on offense and defense that is a complete 180 from what it was in the past........Would the Griz be as good as they are now, or would there be some confusion in the ranks.

I don't want this to be an anology to PSU's current problems, but I think it happens to every team at least once in its history, and I just want an honest evaluation of what can happen to a successful program when the coach leave and a newcomer enters.

I don't know about "a complete 180", but Montana has gone through four different head coaches as they've been compiling their record 14-year playoff participation streak, including transitioning away from the run-and-shoot type offense of the Read/Dennehy staffs to the more conservative even run/throw offense espoused by the Joe Glenn gang, and they hardly missed a beat. (Though you'd never know it by the war drums in Missoula after Joe Glenn's Griz lost their first game 10-9; All was forgiven a week later when they beat Idaho in a barn-burner in Pullman, especially considering that they never lost again that year until the championship game.)

What might happen when Bobby leaves is purely conjecture. Can't even make a guess.

You're right, though, it is difficult to completely change systems and be great immediately--you need time to recruit players who fit your new schemes. Even six-time champion Georgia Southern has stumbled mightily as it has gone through two coaching and major offensive philosophical changes recently following its dominant run using the triple-option offense.

DaGriz
September 25th, 2007, 06:55 PM

We've had 4 head coaches I think since this playoff run started about 14 years ago where most of the staff turned over. We don't pass as much as we did in the Don Read era but I would say the team hasn't changed that much and we've been successful. The better teams to ask would be GSU and MSU. GSU especially. They have a whole new offense. Didn't App. St also completely change their offense to the run and shoot? I think they had the same coach though.

appfan2008
September 25th, 2007, 07:01 PM
consistency is one of the most important aspects to a good college football team... obviously not with the griz

Tailbone
September 25th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Can't say with any degree of certainty but perhaps history can provide a clue.

Since 1995, the griz have had 4 different coaches:
Don Read
Mick Dennehy (Montana Assist)
Joe Glenn (DivII)
Bobby Hauck (Rookie HC)

During that time-frame, Montana has been to the playoffs 14 times, the finals 5 times, and won 2 titles. All of which implies that the program itself contributes to it's success.
Note: the last two coaches had no ties to their predecessor.
It is probably also noteworthy that coaching changes haven't been accompanied by drastic philosophical changes (the AD knew that wouldn't sit well with the fans). Read and Dennehy favored a pass-happy game, Glenn and Hauck moved toward a more balanced offense.

PSU is probably experiencing the problems GSU had last year.
The new system and current athletic skills don't match.

Peems
September 25th, 2007, 07:31 PM
I don't know about "a complete 180", but Montana has gone through four different head coaches as they've been compiling their record 14-year playoff participation streak, including transitioning away from the run-and-shoot type offense of the Read/Dennehy staffs to the more conservative even run/throw offense espoused by the Joe Glenn gang, and they hardly missed a beat. (Though you'd never know it by the war drums in Missoula after Joe Glenn's Griz lost their first game 10-9; All was forgiven a week later when they beat Idaho in a barn-burner in Pullman, especially considering that they never lost again that year until the championship game.)

What might happen when Bobby leaves is purely conjecture. Can't even make a guess.

You're right, though, it is difficult to completely change systems and be great immediately--you need time to recruit players who fit your new schemes. Even six-time champion Georgia Southern has stumbled mightily as it has gone through two coaching and major offensive philosophical changes recently following its dominant run using the triple-option offense.

That's because Joe Glenn got rid of his OC and gave the reigns to Billy Cockhill, a holdover from the Mick D. staff

bobbythekidd
September 25th, 2007, 08:07 PM
I don't know about "a complete 180", but Montana has gone through four different head coaches as they've been compiling their record 14-year playoff participation streak, including transitioning away from the run-and-shoot type offense of the Read/Dennehy staffs to the more conservative even run/throw offense espoused by the Joe Glenn gang, and they hardly missed a beat.

We've had 4 head coaches I think since this playoff run started about 14 years ago where most of the staff turned over. We don't pass as much as we did in the Don Read era but I would say the team hasn't changed that much and we've been successful. The better teams to ask would be GSU and MSU. GSU especially. They have a whole new offense. Didn't App. St also completely change their offense to the run and shoot? I think they had the same coach though.
Yep, same coach. The difference between App/Montana and GSU is that the changes were phased in at the others. App moved to the new offense faster than most of the fans would have liked and gave the Mountaineers the worst record in a decade; 6-5. Montana did not make a 180, so the changes were more subtle.

GSU tried to do it cold turkey and .....well. Worst record in history.

Thus far I have kept my mouth shut about PSU, but I think I was right when I guessed PSU will not do well this season. Sorry to say that.

FCS Go!
September 25th, 2007, 08:08 PM
I think it is impossible to tell what would happen with a "complete 180" in offensive and defensive schemes. I can't imagine the circumstances when something like that would even happen. What would a "complete 180" look like for the Griz anyway? No recievers, 2 TEs and 3 tailbacks?

Regardless I think Montana would still win a lot of games and be a playoff contender. Winning (or excellence or whatever you want to call it) is a habit and Montana expects to win every game they play and they know how to win games, even on a down day or a down year.

Fans who have closely followed Montana for a while will know what I'm talking about. I don't know how many times I've seen the team have a bad day and still pull out a win. Some of Montana's poorer teams have still managed to compete in and win playoff games by playing beyond their skill/talent level.xtwocentsx

GrizDen
September 25th, 2007, 10:13 PM
Nice memory Peems....impressive.