PDA

View Full Version : What does everyone think of NAU thus far?

Jacks76
September 25th, 2007, 03:13 PM
How do they look?

Losses to Arizona (45-24) and App. State (34-21).

Wins against W. New Mexico (47-0) and Northern Colorado (34-14).

Paul

james_lawfirm
September 25th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Looked pretty good in Boone.

I have had them in my poll ever since.

citdog
September 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM
i don't

appfan2008
September 25th, 2007, 03:56 PM
i only saw them in one game when they flew across the country and gave the #1 team in the country (at the time) all they could handle in a tough place to play in the closest game in that stadium in a really long time... they are in my poll and i am very impressed

AlphaSigMD
September 25th, 2007, 03:57 PM
If you finish outside the top 3 in the Big Sky, i'd be surprised. You have EWU and Montana at home, so I think that even puts you at an even bigger advantage.

dbackjon
September 26th, 2007, 12:10 AM
i don't

We know you just think of NAU posters....xsmiley_wix

DuckDuckGriz
September 26th, 2007, 12:24 AM
NAU has had a habit of big starts.....followed by big letdowns.

I think Souers and the boys will be decent this year and might sneak in.

TheValleyRaider
September 26th, 2007, 12:27 AM

As much as a loss can be impressive, this one is up there. It certainly suggests a tough team that can go into that environment and play tough with a very good ASU team.

See, here's where you'll run into some trouble. I know UNC is a conference game, so you can't avoid that, but as it stands, you don't have what I'd consider a quality win just yet. You played inferior opponents, and won comfortably, which is all that you can ask for at this point.

Short answer, the jury's still out on NAU, but an impressive performance makes them worth a look as the season goes on.

89Hen
September 26th, 2007, 08:23 AM
As much as a loss can be impressive, this one is up there. It certainly suggests a tough team that can go into that environment and play tough with a very good ASU team.
Hard for me to rank a team based on a 'good loss'. NAU needs some good wins before I rank them.

th0m
September 26th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I have to agree with 89. Although a 'good loss' is definitely 'better' than a blowout loss, it does need the company of some good wins as well, before they deserve a ranking IMO.

mcveyrl
September 26th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Hard for me to rank a team based on a 'good loss'. NAU needs some good wins before I rank them.

I have to agree with 89. Although a 'good loss' is definitely 'better' than a blowout loss, it does need the company of some good wins as well, before they deserve a ranking IMO.

ditto.

dbackjon
September 26th, 2007, 09:51 AM

ditto.

Stupid East Coast Bias... :D

AlphaSigMD
September 26th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I think the good losses phenomenon runs a waxing and waning pattern of popularity depending on the year and the team. There was a very much publicized example of such when Notre Dame lost in OT to No. 1 Nebraska in Lincoln, back in 2001. Unranked ND rose to No. 24 after that loss. While this fits the ideal case for many reasons, specifically because people want to believe in ND, I think a similar occurance might have had a very slight chance of happening if NAU could have taken us into overtime at the Rock. Alas, we shall never know.

89Hen
September 26th, 2007, 09:58 AM
I think the good losses phenomenon runs a waxing and waning pattern of popularity depending on the year and the team.
I can agree that some teams get more 'benefit of doubt' than others, but I think the 'good loss' theory can only be used when there are wins to support it. Last year SUU lost to McNeese by 3 and Cal Poly by 4... both could be seen as 'good losses' but when you combine it with a 3-8 record and some blowouts... the only ones who will remember the close games are McNeese and Cal Poly next time they play (McNeese already avenged that close game with a 21 point victory this year).

HIU 93
September 26th, 2007, 10:02 AM
It's hard to tell. This is definitely one of those "Any Given Saturday" years. Unless you are SUU or A&T, I don't think I can tell what is going to happen from wek to week.

wapiti
September 26th, 2007, 10:09 AM

So why is Montana ranked #1?
They do not have a "good" win yet.

Southern Utah and Albany are FCS teams, but not much of a challenge in Missoula. Fort Lewis, I don't even need to comment on this one.

and the bye game they had ended up in a tie, zero to zero.

They do not have any losses yet, but I would think you should have at least one good win over a quality opponent before a team is ranked 1 in the country.

And when is Montana going to schedule non-confrence road games?xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 26th, 2007, 10:48 AM

Southern Utah and Albany are FCS teams, but not much of a challenge in Missoula. Fort Lewis, I don't even need to comment on this one.

They do not have any losses yet, but I would think you should have at least one good win over a quality opponent before a team is ranked 1 in the country.

Then nobody would be ranked pre-season and very few teams would be ranked after week one.

As for non-conference road games... why? If you can get teams to come to you and you can sell 23,000 tickets, more power to you. xthumbsupx

Mountain Panther
September 26th, 2007, 10:52 AM

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

DuckDuckGriz
September 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM

Every year but this year. Get over it. xthumbsupx

MR. CHICKEN
September 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM
DUH 'JACKS...........HUNG WHIFF APPY.......BUT EVERAH ONE WILL BRING DERE A GAME....AGIN' DAT SQWAD..........TWO WINS OVERAH 1-3...BEST WESTERN NEW MEXICO.....&.......0-4.....NORFFERN COLORADO..........JES' LIKE SHANIA SAY....."DAT DON'T IMPRESS ME NONE".........xsmhx...BRAWK/OMAR@15TDS&COUNTIN'.EDU

AZGrizFan
September 26th, 2007, 11:50 AM

I am shocked, offended, and downright PISSED OFF that it took 16 posts for this thread about NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY to turn into a "Does Montana deserve their #1 ranking?" thread.

You people had better pick up the damned slack and stop being so lazy. This is getting disturbing.

AlphaSigMD
September 26th, 2007, 12:41 PM
I am shocked, offended, and downright PISSED OFF that it took 16 posts for this thread about NORTHERN ARIZONA UNIVERSITY to turn into a "Does Montana deserve their #1 ranking?" thread.

You people had better pick up the damned slack and stop being so lazy. This is getting disturbing.
xlolx

Grizzaholic
September 26th, 2007, 03:10 PM
And it wasn't even a Bison fan. Wierd.

JALMOND
September 26th, 2007, 08:22 PM
How do they look?

Paul

Wins against W New Mexico and N Colorado=expected.
Losses against Arizona and App State=expected.
2-2=expected.

About where I expected them to be at this point. Tough games ahead, one coming quick (in Portland) others later on (home vs Montana and EWU, on the road at MSU).

already123
September 27th, 2007, 10:54 PM
I agree with those who say that the jusy is still out on NAU...they haven't dont anything UNEXPECTED...maybe you could consider the close loss to APP, but it was still a loss. NAU needs 2 more wins to be in the top 20. A good team, but hasnt shown it consistently....yet.

ASU88
September 27th, 2007, 11:14 PM
Since when did a 13 point defeat become a "close loss?"

That game was close into the 2nd half, but if I recall correctly ... and I'm sure I do because I was there and it was only two weeks ago ... NAU got a late TD to make it a 13 point defeat. They were losing 34-13 in the middle of the 4th, right?

NAU is a good FCS team. Jury is still out as to whether they are worthy of being ranked.

already123
September 28th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Funny how all 28,000 fans left that game having nothing but good things to say about NAU and how the Jacks had them scared for most of the game....yet you are the only one who thinks otherwise.

ThreadStopper
September 28th, 2007, 02:02 AM
Let me answer that after Poly plays Northern Colorado on Saturday.

ASU88
September 28th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Funny how all 28,000 fans left that game having nothing but good things to say about NAU and how the Jacks had them scared for most of the game....yet you are the only one who thinks otherwise.

You've talked to all 28K who left that game? You've been busy! xlolx

I've had good things to say about them as well. It was a close game for a long time. It was only a 7 pt lead after 3 quarters, but by the early 4th it was a 2 TD lead and by mid-4th it was 34-13 and the game was not really in doubt.

I've just heard more than one person refer to that game like it was a complete nail-biter that was won at the last ... and that's not the case.

What's wrong with that?