PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky power rankings-After week 4

JALMOND
September 24th, 2007, 09:28 PM
After the first week of conference play, the power rankings for the Big Sky. All places and comments are my opinion and all are open for discussion. This week (last week)...

1. Montana (1)---The Griz are the only team not to have played a conference game yet, having did away with Albany last week. Griz have used up their bye week and non conference games, and now play all conference opponents one week after another. This week, homecoming at Wash-Griz against Weber State.

2. Montana State (2)---Cats scored a hard-fought win in Ogden last week against Weber State, only suprised by the fact that the defense outscored the offense (2 TDs to 1). Was it really supposed to be that close? Still, a conference win is a conference win. This week, the Cats welcome Idaho State to Bozeman. Another close one?

3. Northern Arizona (3)---Jacks held serve in Flagstaff last week, keeping Northern Colorado searching for answers. Did what was expected and still on the heels of the Cats. This week, a road game at Sacramento State. Will they keep it going?

4. Eastern Washington (4)---Big road win for the Eagles against a floundering Idaho State team gets them to 3-0 for the first time since 1997. Regardless of who is playing, a road win in the Big Sky does not come too often. This week, a sputtering Portland State team comes to Cheney. Can EWU make it 4-0?

5. Portland State (5)---Good news is that the Vikings seem to be getting a hold on the offense. Bad news is that the defense seems to be falling away, hit by injuries and bad play. The loss to San Diego State may have been a bit of a surprise for some, but as the season has gone, it was pretty much expected. This week, back to conference play on the road against EWU. How much do they know?

6. Weber State (6)---Inspired performance for the Wildcats last week against MSU. The defense came alive and held the potent Cat offense to only one touchdown, and also registered a safety. Unfortunately, the Wildcat offense produced only one field goal. Not much better this week as they go to Missoula to face the Griz. How good is that defense this week?

7. Sacramento State (7)---Not surprising that the Hornets lost to FCS New Mexico, but very surprised as to how much they lost by. To say nothing went right in Albuquerque would be putting it mildly. This week, back to conference play with NAU coming to town. Can they bounce back?

8. Idaho State (8)---Where to start with the Bengals? Clearly, Oregon State showed weaknesses in the Bengal team, but letting EWU exploit those same weaknesses in their conference home opener was not what they had in mind. Now a short trip to Bozeman to face the mighty Cat attack. Does it get worse?

9. Northern Colorado (9)---I know the Bears played on the road at NAU last week, a tough place to play, I know that they've only played one home game so far, and I always try to be fair when doing these rankings, but the Bears are just horrible so far. 0-4, with losses to DII (Chadron State) and FCS non-scholly (San Diego), and not even competitive in any of them. Does it get any better soon? How about Cal Poly on the road? Yikes!!!

Nothing changed from last week. The games went as expected with the scoring pretty much as expected as well. A full slate of conference games (four) this week might tell teams exactly where they are.

Gil Dobie
September 24th, 2007, 09:37 PM
I kind of like how Eastern Washington has been playing. 2-4 seem pretty interchangable though.

ncbears
September 24th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I can see EW as second. They're playing good football.

CopperCat
September 24th, 2007, 10:21 PM
I can see EW as second. They're playing good football.

I'd almost say the same. And if not second, then certainly third. I think EWU has shown everybody that it is for real this year (so far), whereas NAU hasn't really played anybody to merit the same kind of attention. Yes, they did hang with ASU, but EWU has been getting the W's thus far, and has done so handily.

Grizalltheway
September 24th, 2007, 10:23 PM
I'd almost say the same. And if not second, then certainly third. I think EWU has shown everybody that it is for real this year (so far), whereas NAU hasn't really played anybody to merit the same kind of attention. Yes, they did hang with ASU, but EWU has been getting the W's thus far, and has done so handily.

Never mind the fact that they played NAIA UM-Western..xwhistlex

CopperCat
September 24th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Never mind the fact that they played NAIA UM-Western..xwhistlex

And you're one to talk the Mr. #1 in the coaches poll? After Ft. Lewis? And NOT playing a single game on the road? Look in the mirror there chief.

JALMOND
September 24th, 2007, 10:32 PM

EWU has been playing well, off to a great start. But really, who didn't pencil them in for 3-0 at this point in the season. They played their toughest game, Davis, at home, and won against ISU and MT-Western. These coming weeks, we'll see the true EWU team. After PSU at home, the Eagles go to Missoula, then come back for a home game against the Cats. That should give us a clear picture as to where EWU is. Yes, Eagles closer to the 2-3 spots than before, but have to keep them at #4 for now.

cats2506
September 24th, 2007, 11:23 PM
I agree with your your original assesment. MSU, NAU & EWU could still go any way at this time.

UM against WSU will give us some idea of how over rated they are. The next few weeks will sort a lot of it out. Remember the griz have a big bullseye on them now. They need to play up to it to hold it.

Everyone talks about the BSC being weak but the the BSC has 3 ranked teams (#1 UM, #17 MSU & #23 EWU) with a 4th recieving votes (WSU) and one more that I consider a wildcard that could surprise somebody (PSU). I also think that SAC may be better than any of us are thinking but wouldn't move them up yet.

DuckDuckGriz
September 25th, 2007, 01:13 AM
I agree with your your original assesment. MSU, NAU & EWU could still go any way at this time.

UM against WSU will give us some idea of how over rated they are. The next few weeks will sort a lot of it out. Remember the griz have a big bullseye on them now. They need to play up to it to hold it.

Everyone talks about the BSC being weak but the the BSC has 3 ranked teams (#1 UM, #17 MSU & #23 EWU) with a 4th recieving votes (WSU) and one more that I consider a wildcard that could surprise somebody (PSU). I also think that SAC may be better than any of us are thinking but wouldn't move them up yet.

How are you basing your judgments on this one?

Just wondering

Are the Griz going to have to put up 81 points?

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 01:16 AM

Just wondering

Unfortunately, BH may just have to pick a sacrificial lamb and absolutely BURY someone to get rid of this label that they play soft teams close. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Blazerbird
September 25th, 2007, 02:27 AM
I still don't know what to make of any of the teams in the Big Sky this year, including my Eagles. Like many other BSC teams, every year we win a game or two we probably shouldn't, and lose a game or two the same way. In the end, each team wants to make the playoffs, then put a run together. For me, a playoff win means more than winning a conference championship outright anyway, so I'd rather see my team face decent competition early on so I can form a ballpark opinion about their chances. In years past, I learned more from playing Oregon State, SJSU, San Diego State, and Air Force and losing, than from wins against Idaho, and UConn. I thought ISU and Davis would be better this year, but I felt that these were two decent wins to learn from heading into a pair with PSU and the Griz. Now I have reason to be cautiously optimistic rather than wonder. That's just me, though. So I'll officially say that the Eagles are dangerously thin at linebacker and cornerback. Nicholls is still inconsistent. Eastern can't win the big game, and our school can't compete with the big FCS powers. Everyone ignore us okay? Until the playoffs that is.

Tod
September 25th, 2007, 02:39 AM

Pretty sure you mean NAU.

appfan2008
September 25th, 2007, 07:24 AM
all i have seen is nau and they looked pretty darn good to me... they played us a lot better than montana st did last year

Bobcat in NC
September 25th, 2007, 07:46 AM
all i have seen is nau and they looked pretty darn good to me... they played us a lot better than montana st did last year

Forgive me if I'm wrong on this, but haven't you made this same exact post more than once? We get it, MSU sucks and didn't play App close at all. After all, ASU was destroying the Bobcats by a whole touchdown at the start of the 4th and MSU was only driving to tie before the horrid WR pass.

For God's sake, man, let it rest. App won. WooHooo... xboringx

kalm
September 25th, 2007, 08:04 AM
EWU has been playing well, off to a great start. But really, who didn't pencil them in for 3-0 at this point in the season. They played their toughest game, Davis, at home, and won against ISU and MT-Western. These coming weeks, we'll see the true EWU team. After PSU at home, the Eagles go to Missoula, then come back for a home game against the Cats. That should give us a clear picture as to where EWU is. Yes, Eagles closer to the 2-3 spots than before, but have to keep them at #4 for now.

If we go 2-1 over the next three weeks, then I think we are a legit at-large bid contender. The ISU game may have been a bit deceptive with 4 bengal turnoves in the 1st half. A win against a down and beat-up PSU team also might not say much. An expected loss at Missoula, but then the Cat game in Cheney on 10/13 becomes real interesting. If we do go 2-1 over the next three games, we could afford road losses at NAU and BYU and still finish 8-3 assuming we take care of business against Weber, Sac, and NC

We're not there yet, but hopefully at some point we can quit making excuses for winning.

Just speculating, still a long ways to go.

VictorG
September 25th, 2007, 08:39 AM
Unfortunately, BH may just have to pick a sacrificial lamb and absolutely BURY someone to get rid of this label that they play soft teams close. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

I seriously doubt that BH is even concerned by this "so called" label or even knows that it exists. I think stuff like this is more of a "fans" type thing to give us something to talk about.

cats2506
September 25th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Pretty sure you mean NAU.

You are correct

cats2506
September 25th, 2007, 09:15 AM

Just wondering

To me and to many others that have posted on this board and others incliding the griz board, it is highly questionable if they should be ranked #1 in the FCS, yet they are in 2 major polls.

No one is questioning that they are a good team or that they should not be rated in the top 6 but I think it is a valid statment to say that many dont think they should be #1.

For those of us that feel this way it is safe to say that we feel that they are over rated. The only question is, to what extent are they over rated?

At least the WSU will give us a game against a 63 scholly team so see how they handle them.

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I seriously doubt that BH is even concerned by this "so called" label or even knows that it exists. I think stuff like this is more of a "fans" type thing to give us something to talk about.

Vic, I'm pretty sure BH doesn't give a rat's a** about this label. But a man can dream, can't he? xnodx xnodx :) :) :)

mlbowl
September 25th, 2007, 09:27 AM
To me and to many others that have posted on this board and others incliding the griz board, it is highly questionable if they should be ranked #1 in the FCS, yet they are in 2 major polls.

No one is questioning that they are a good team or that they should not be rated in the top 6 but I think it is a valid statment to say that many dont think they should be #1.

For those of us that feel this way it is safe to say that we feel that they are over rated. The only question is, to what extent are they over rated?

At least the WSU will give us a game against a 63 scholly team so see how they handle them.

They started off the season ranked #2...were the voters not aware of their schedule at the start of the season? My question, whether or not you feel they're overrated, what have they done to drop in the polls?

DaGriz
September 25th, 2007, 09:58 AM
They started off the season ranked #2...were the voters not aware of their schedule at the start of the season? My question, whether or not you feel they're overrated, what have they done to drop in the polls?

That's my thought exactly. Pre-season polls are worthless because you have no idea what teams are returning and how good they are going to be. We shouldn't really have a poll until about week 4 or 5 when we have a better idea. But if we are going to have a preseason poll and you ranked the Griz #2 and you saw our schedule and knew we had it easy to start, and knew we weren't going to lose those first three games and still ranked us at #2, what have the Griz done to lower those expectations to the point that we should drop?
In my opinion, I thought we were a pre-season 4 or 5. I had no idea what we were going to get out of our QB this year. Now that I've seen a few games, this is probably the best team we have had in years, we're loaded at every position. Is that #1 in the country? I have no idea, I haven't seen UNI or NDSU play, I just know we're loaded. Good thing we have a playoff system.

Gil Dobie
September 25th, 2007, 10:17 AM

I voted them high in AGS because they had a lot of players back from a great season last year. The Griz have not lost and should be ranked high until or if they lose.

CopperCat
September 25th, 2007, 10:33 AM

Well, why don't you win a few more games and get into the playoffs so we can have a rematch?

VictorG
September 25th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Vic, I'm pretty sure BH doesn't give a rat's a** about this label. But a man can dream, can't he? xnodx xnodx :) :) :)

Yup, and I'm dreaming that my Packers will be the 1st team to win the Super Bowl without ever running the ball!xlolx

Gil Dobie
September 25th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Yup, and I'm dreaming that my Packers will be the 1st team to win the Super Bowl without ever running the ball!xlolx

It's not a dream, the Pack is Back xthumbsupx

already123
September 25th, 2007, 11:38 AM
good poll....I like how Eastern is playing so far, MSU had a good showing against TAMU for the most part, but the other games are kinda hard to tell....NAU is playin well but they continue to shoot themselves in the foot with their penalties and what not. Therefore, its hard to tell. I believe that we will have a clear picture going into week 7.

Best of luck to the entire Big Sky...

GtFllsGriz
September 25th, 2007, 12:13 PM
This weeks games should give a little more insight into the conference. I am real anxious to see how the Griz match up with Weber. I watched the Griz at home and then the recorded Cat/Weber game. My initial response was that the Griz will kill Weber. But then I think back to the things that the Griz did that make them real human. Then I think of the outstanding plays and then I think......heck, I don't know. Let's play the game and talk about it later.

Tough call for most of the games.

mlbowl
September 25th, 2007, 12:57 PM
I voted them high in AGS because they had a lot of players back from a great season last year. The Griz have not lost and should be ranked high until or if they lose.

Gil, you have always been a voice of reason. xnodx

Screamin_Eagle174
September 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
Eastern is playing great, but we still have a lot to improve on. Montana is great, but overrated. One thing is for sure though; you bet your ass I'm going to be in Missoula Oct. 6. Last time I was there I watched 23,000 Griz fans leave a stadium in silence... quite the site to see! GO EAGS!

cats2506
September 25th, 2007, 01:24 PM

They started off at 2 based on returning starters, and reputation, they havent had any challenges yet, but then no one expected them to be challenged by their OOC schedule. All I am saying is that finally we will see the griz play a BSC, 63 scholly team, it will give us a better idea of where they should be. Looking at the first three games I personally didnt think they looked like a #1 team, but then again they havent been tested yet either. I view the griz as a good team that is basicly unknown right now. as BSC play progresses we will get an indication.

I didnt think they belonged at 2, I also think some other teams have been tested and have shown that they belong in the top rankings.

What did UM do to still rank above ASU? That is my question? Remember that when figuring it out to consider the common opponents late last year, UMASS and MSU

If the griz come out and easily handle WSU and EWU which are both at home then I feel we have a better indication of how good they really are. If they struggle with either team I dont think it looks good for them and the FCS #1 ranking.

It dosnt really matter, in a few more weeks we will know a lot more than we do today.

DuckDuckGriz
September 25th, 2007, 02:14 PM
They started off at 2 based on returning starters, and reputation, they havent had any challenges yet, but then no one expected them to be challenged by their OOC schedule. All I am saying is that finally we will see the griz play a BSC, 63 scholly team, it will give us a better idea of where they should be. Looking at the first three games I personally didnt think they looked like a #1 team, but then again they havent been tested yet either. I view the griz as a good team that is basicly unknown right now. as BSC play progresses we will get an indication.

I didnt think they belonged at 2, I also think some other teams have been tested and have shown that they belong in the top rankings.

What did UM do to still rank above ASU? That is my question? Remember that when figuring it out to consider the common opponents late last year, UMASS and MSU

If the griz come out and easily handle WSU and EWU which are both at home then I feel we have a better indication of how good they really are. If they struggle with either team I dont think it looks good for them and the FCS #1 ranking.

It dosnt really matter, in a few more weeks we will know a lot more than we do today.

If you base the judgment on one game for the rest of the year, than it makes no sense IMO. The Griz have played poor teams close and gone onto win the national title or go to the semis, etc.

So if the Griz win by , say a touchdown are they "overrated??"

The problem with Cat fans is that they conclude everything at the beginning of the season - i.e. beating Colorado last year.

CopperCat
September 25th, 2007, 02:17 PM
If you base the judgment on one game for the rest of the year, than it makes no sense IMO. The Griz have played poor teams close and gone onto win the national title or go to the semis, etc.

The problem with Cat fans is that they conclude everything at the beginning of the season - i.e. beating Colorado last year.

Really? It's just Cat fans that do that? I wasn't aware.xcoffeex

DuckDuckGriz
September 25th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Really? It's just Cat fans that do that? I wasn't aware.xcoffeex

No. But it is known to be by far one of their 2 biggest characteristics xlolx

mlbowl
September 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM
What did UM do to still rank above ASU? That is my question?

Win:) ......just having a little fun.:p

Peems
September 25th, 2007, 02:41 PM
This weeks games should give a little more insight into the conference. I am real anxious to see how the Griz match up with Weber. I watched the Griz at home and then the recorded Cat/Weber game. My initial response was that the Griz will kill Weber. But then I think back to the things that the Griz did that make them real human. Then I think of the outstanding plays and then I think......heck, I don't know. Let's play the game and talk about it later.

Tough call for most of the games.

I think Coach Hauck put it nicely when he said "throw everything you know about Weber out the window, because every time we play them they do different things" Remember last year? our D could not stop them the first half and it was a shootout. I expect it to be a good game, but I also expect the Griz to win.xthumbsupx

CrazyCat
September 25th, 2007, 02:45 PM
No. But it is known to be by far one of their 2 biggest characteristics xlolx

OH REALLY

http://pages.sbcglobal.net/bluealbino/SYP/images/mrburns-oh.gif

cats2506
September 25th, 2007, 05:49 PM

I never said that, I said how they handled them would give us an indication of their strength.

I think we all know that you can win by one touchdown and still dominate another team. If on the otherhand WSU were to get some points on your D and stop or slow your offense and make it so that you just pull out a win by one touchdown late in the game I would expect to see you drop in the polls. Remember the griz are ranked #1 right now and WSU is unranked, has not recieved any votes this year, and is estimated to be in the middle of the BSC, also the game is in wg. I would expect a true #1 team to handle them with ease.

The point I made was that I (and many others) think the griz are over rated. We should have a better idea in the next few weeks if we are correct in thinking that or if you are correct in thinking that the griz are. obvously the best team in the FCS this year.

DuckDuckGriz
September 26th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I never said that, I said how they handled them would give us an indication of their strength.

I think we all know that you can win by one touchdown and still dominate another team. If on the otherhand WSU were to get some points on your D and stop or slow your offense and make it so that you just pull out a win by one touchdown late in the game I would expect to see you drop in the polls. Remember the griz are ranked #1 right now and WSU is unranked, has not recieved any votes this year, and is estimated to be in the middle of the BSC, also the game is in wg. I would expect a true #1 team to handle them with ease.

The point I made was that I (and many others) think the griz are over rated. We should have a better idea in the next few weeks if we are correct in thinking that or if you are correct in thinking that the griz are. obvously the best team in the FCS this year.

I never said that. ;)

You won't find any Griz fans that have said that either.

cats2506
September 26th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I never said that. ;)

You won't find any Griz fans that have said that either.

Are you saying...... that being ranked #1 ........ they are OVER RATED?

DuckDuckGriz
September 26th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Are you saying...... that being ranked #1 ........ they are OVER RATED?

No. I'm NOT saying that they are the best team in the FCS.

Because it is not even October. There's no way to tell, and the #1 ranking is only on paper, as are rankings 2-25.

Good effort though.

Tod
September 26th, 2007, 03:17 AM

Why, exactly? You say this as if it's common knowledge/sense. The teams are different this year, as always after graduation.

And why "late" last year, and not all of last year? Or are you just saying that we had common opponents at that time?

cats2506
September 26th, 2007, 09:17 AM
No. I'm NOT saying that they are the best team in the FCS.

Because it is not even October. There's no way to tell, and the #1 ranking is only on paper, as are rankings 2-25.

Good effort though.

Good, then will you agree that the next few weeks should give us an indication of how good they are?

THAT is what I said in my original post!

AZGrizFan
September 26th, 2007, 09:20 AM
I don't know, JALMOND. Do the Griz REALLY deserve that #1 ranking? I mean, after all, they haven't really played anybody of note. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx ;)

cats2506
September 26th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Why, exactly? You say this as if it's common knowledge/sense. The teams are different this year, as always after graduation.

And why "late" last year, and not all of last year? Or are you just saying that we had common opponents at that time?

I wasn't aware that there were any other common opponents last year or this year, If there are please enlighten me as I have forgotten about them

I think that if you go back another year that there would be too much change in the teams. As far as I know the only common opponents happened "late" last year.

cats2506
September 26th, 2007, 09:35 AM
OK my last post on this thread untill next week.

IMO

The griz have not done enough to deserve the #1 ranking, I will conceed that they are a top 5 team. (ie. the overrated statment that I was jumped on for)

All I said is that the next few weeks will give us an indication of how strong/weak the griz really are. I say this because the games up to this point have shown us very little.

See ya next week

putter
September 26th, 2007, 10:11 AM
OK my last post on this thread untill next week.

IMO

The griz have not done enough to deserve the #1 ranking, I will conceed that they are a top 5 team. (ie. the overrated statment that I was jumped on for)

All I said is that the next few weeks will give us an indication of how strong/weak the griz really are. I say this because the games up to this point have shown us very little.

See ya next week

You could take that line and substitute any FCS team. conference play is a different animal as teams start beating each other up (look at App)