PDA

View Full Version : VMI at RMU / SFPA at Liberty

aceinthehole
September 24th, 2007, 03:29 PM
What are some thoughts on these games? Honestly, I'm not sure just wondered what the consensus out there.

Former JETS head coach Joe Walton is the father of RMU football. He built the program from scratch into a non-scholly power. They had hit a slump (2002-2005), but since last season has recorded big wins over Stony Brook, CCSU, and Monmouth.

I don't know much about VMI other than they are a fully scholly school in the Big South. They won 4 games in the past 3 seasons and haven't had a winning season since 1981, so it certainly won't be a marquee win. Any background on VMI?

Is this a statement game for the NEC/Big South? Would an RMU win put the NEC currently on equal footing with the full-scholly Big South?

Liberty is expect to rout SFPA (arguably one, if not, the worst I-AA program in existance), so the NEC still has some dead weight.

The NEC has 7 right teams now, the BS has just 5, but how do they compare today?

citdog
September 24th, 2007, 03:48 PM
I don't know much about VMI other than they are a fully scholly school in the Big South. They won 4 games in the past 3 seasons and haven't had a winning season since 1981, so it certainly won't be a marquee win. Any background on VMI?

V@gina Military Institute, aka The Citadel's Bitch, is in Lexington, VA. They SUCK, that will be all!

walliver
September 24th, 2007, 03:54 PM
I don't know if VMI is fully-funded, but if they are they sure aren't getting their moneys worth. Beating VMI won't help your conference's reputation, but losing will hurt.

citdog
September 24th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I WOULD HAVE FOUND IT HARD TO ROOT FOR VIRGINIA'S MARCHING IDIOTS AT THE BATTLE OF NEW MARKET!

SuperJon
September 24th, 2007, 06:14 PM
I don't know if VMI is fully-funded, but if they are they sure aren't getting their moneys worth. Beating VMI won't help your conference's reputation, but losing will hurt.

They've only got 53 scholarships.

BobbyMo
September 24th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I think VMI runs a Wing T, but i am not certain. I think it should be an interesting game. If they have a fast QB, it could be trouble for the Colonials. Daytons QB had a great game against us.

DetroitFlyer
September 25th, 2007, 07:17 AM
Last year, VMI defeated Davidson by one point. Davidson scored the tying TD and rather than go for the tie, they decided to go for two and the win, ( Davidson was playing at VMI ). Well, Davidson did not make the conversion and VMI won the game.

Oddly enough, Dayton lost to Davidson last year in the exact same manner. We scored the tying TD, went for two and the win on the road, failed and lost the game.

Suffice it to say that is both cases, I was 100% against the call.

At any rate, this is a game that Robert Morris can win. Robert Morris has an excellent defense. If the offense can score some points, I see Robert Morris coming out on top. If, however, the offense struggles, VMI will score enough to win.

Should be a great game!

ngineer
September 25th, 2007, 07:42 AM
VMI runs a 'flex option' attack. They have quickness but not much size. They were very vulnerable to the play action. At times their quickness put pressure on our QB, but his mobility got him outside contain and by then receivers were wide open. I will say this, however, despite the 31 point deficit inthe second half, they were still scrapping hard. The QB's accuracy was not very good, either, though the pressure on him probably contributed to that.

Seahawks Fan
September 25th, 2007, 07:45 AM
The Colonials should win this game at home.

rmutv
September 25th, 2007, 09:18 AM
VMI runs a 'flex option' attack. They have quickness but not much size. They were very vulnerable to the play action. At times their quickness put pressure on our QB, but his mobility got him outside contain and by then receivers were wide open. I will say this, however, despite the 31 point deficit inthe second half, they were still scrapping hard. The QB's accuracy was not very good, either, though the pressure on him probably contributed to that.

If VMI is vulnerable to the play-action, then RMU will have a field day. Coach Walton LOVES the play-action pass.

The RMU defense is very good, and while they've had trouble with option attack offenses, they did much better against Morehead State. The defense is fast and hits hard, with decent size for this level too.

The one problem is safety James Kazil will be out for a long time with a collarbone injury.

Go...gate
September 25th, 2007, 02:46 PM
They've only got 53 scholarships.

Is that Big South policy or VMI's own self-imposed limit?

SuperJon
September 25th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Self-imposed.

citdog
September 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Self-imposed.

excuses excuses!

SuperJon
September 25th, 2007, 03:57 PM
They can't afford the full 63 scholarships. They had a set quota saying that they have to sign x amount of in-state kids because the scholarships for in-state kids are cheaper.

bigred
September 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM
SJ, where did you hear that?

It is my understanding that our current scholarship level is part of Coach Reid's rebuilding plan. We could have been at full scholarship when Reid started but a decision was made to distribute the scholarships evenly across the recruiting classes with idea that it will benefit the program long term.

SuperJon
September 25th, 2007, 09:41 PM
Can't remember where I read that. The 53 scholarships may be part of Reid's rebuilding plan, etc but I know the quota for VA students is right.

Go...gate
September 26th, 2007, 01:53 PM
SJ, where did you hear that?

It is my understanding that our current scholarship level is part of Coach Reid's rebuilding plan. We could have been at full scholarship when Reid started but a decision was made to distribute the scholarships evenly across the recruiting classes with idea that it will benefit the program long term.

bigred, you hear anything down there about VMI moving to the Patriot?

bigred
September 26th, 2007, 04:03 PM
There is always talk. Talk of going back to the SoCon, talk of the Patriot, blah blah blah....it is just that, talk. Many alums out there were against the move to the BigSouth and it appears they are proving to be right. Has definitely hurt recruiting and has not worked out like the admin. had hoped. Going from the worst team in one of the best conferences to the worst team in one of the worst conferences was not good for this program. All that said, it appears that we are committed to the BigSouth for now and Coach Reid is a great man and incredible motivator. He is trying to build something in Lexington and it is going to take time to do it. I think we need to show we can win in the BS before we start talking about moving anywhere.

citdog
September 26th, 2007, 04:09 PM
There is always talk. Talk of going back to the SoCon, talk of the Patriot, blah blah blah....it is just that, talk. Many alums out there were against the move to the BigSouth and it appears they are proving to be right. Has definitely hurt recruiting and has not worked out like the admin. had hoped. Going from the worst team in one of the best conferences to the worst team in one of the worst conferences was not good for this program. All that said, it appears that we are committed to the BigSouth for now and Coach Reid is a great man and incredible motivator. He is trying to build something in Lexington and it is going to take time to do it. I think we need to show we can win in the BS before we start talking about moving anywhere.

how do you explain the success The Citadel has had recently, and VMI's failure?

Go...gate
September 26th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Great question. I was looking at the VMI press guide on their website yesterday, and never realized how successful they had been until the last 20 years or so. There really has been a drop-off. Last win against The Citadel was 2002, I believe.

citdog
September 26th, 2007, 04:15 PM
Great question. I was looking at the VMI press guide on their website yesterday, and never realized how successful they had been until the last 20 years or so. There really has been a drop-off. Last win against THE Citadel was 2002, I believe.

fixed it

Go...gate
September 26th, 2007, 04:17 PM
fixed it

Sorry - a little haste on my part. I fixed the post as well. In all seriousness, I know it makes a difference.

bigred
September 27th, 2007, 08:52 AM
In the last 10 years citadel has 3 winning seasons, no conference championships and no post season appearances....hardly a success story. You do have a nice stadium though. It is obvious that your admin. has decided to make Football a priority.

citdog
September 27th, 2007, 09:20 AM
In the last 10 years citadel has 3 winning seasons, no conference championships and no post season appearances....hardly a success story. You do have a nice stadium though. It is obvious that your admin. has decided to make Football a priority.

wait til this year is over! I want VMI to be good, it will make beating you sweeter!

aceinthehole
September 28th, 2007, 08:32 AM
Seems Robert Morris is the next NEC to improve its schedule. According to the Beaver County/Allegheny Times, next year RMU will travel to VMI to complete the home and home series with the Big South team, and will face Bucknell of the Patriot League.

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18863057&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

BobbyMo
September 28th, 2007, 09:10 AM
Seems Robert Morris is the next NEC to improve its schedule. According to the Beaver County/Allegheny Times, next year RMU will travel to VMI to complete the home and home series with the Big South team, and will face Bucknell of the Patriot League.

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18863057&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

Thanks for the link. That is great news for RMU and thhe NEC. I hope we continue to play Dayton though. They beat us most of the time but i really enjoy the rivalry.

rmutv
September 28th, 2007, 09:19 AM

They have that wrong. Morehead State comes to Moon Township in 2008, but the Colonials do not travel to VMI until 2009.

You can look on the first page of Game Notes here (PDF Files) for confirmation:
VMI - http://www.rmucolonials.com/pdf6/87218.pdf?&ATCLID=1249333&SPSID=59576&SPID=6527&DB_OEM_ID=13900
MSU - http://www.rmucolonials.com/pdf1/86051.pdf?&ATCLID=1244562&SPID=6527&SPSID=59576&DB_OEM_ID=13900