PDA

View Full Version : Over-rated/Under-rated

ChickenMan
September 24th, 2007, 12:52 PM
After four weeks.. based on the current rankings.. who would you say are the most over-rated and under-rated teams in your conference?

CAA...

over-rated.. UMass

under-rated.. Richmond

Proud Griz Man
September 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Cap'n Cat = overrated

Chickenman = underrated

Cap'n Cat
September 24th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Gateway...........

Overrated: No one yet.
Underrated: Missouri State.

Cap'n Cat
September 24th, 2007, 12:55 PM
Cap'n Cat = overrated

Chickenman = underrated

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

True!!!!!

xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx xbowx

putter
September 24th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Big Sky

Overrated --> no one
Underrated -> Eastern Washington

blueballs
September 24th, 2007, 12:59 PM
SoCon:

Overrated: Furman (we'll find out this weekend for sure), App (does anybody REALLY think they're the 6th best team?)

Underrated: Wofford, Citadel, Elon

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM
SoCon:

Overrated: Furman (we'll find out this weekend for sure), App (does anybody REALLY think they're the 6th best team?)

I agree based on the first three games, Furman is overrated. At present everyone else seems about right give or take five places or soxnodx

I will wait until this week to decide if Elon should be rated.

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 24th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Underrated: Elon, The Citadel

Overrated: Furman (I'm talking their preseason ranking, not their current one)

EmeryZach
September 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Overrated : UMass
Underrated: UNI (should be #1)

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM
CAA

overrated = Delaware: (no offense to Towson, W&M or URI but) we haven't beaten a playoff team yet.

underrated = Hofstra: flying (dutchmen xsmiley_wix ) under the radar... they very well could be 6-0 when they play UNH... they miss Delaware and JMU this year too, so even if they lose to UNH and UMass... they are looking like a playoff contender. xeyebrowx

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 01:05 PM
Big Sky

Overrated --> no one
I might throw NAU in there for that one. That close game to AppSt doesn't look as good today as it did last week and with only DI win over UNC...

SunCoastBlueHen
September 24th, 2007, 01:07 PM
CAA -

Overrated - UNH (they got spanked in their only conference game)

Underrated - Villanova (3-0 in the FCS against decent competition, but unranked)

BisonBacker
As if this will come as a surprise.

Overrated = Montana
Underrated= SHSU

01pantherfan
Over rated - Montana ( in sports network poll) I am in no way saying they arnt a good team but considering the 3 teams they have played have a what 1-10 record ? to me it doesnt deserve a # 1 ranking

Underrated SIU

Khan4Cats
September 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Gateway...........

Overrated: No one yet.
Underrated: Missouri State.

No, Indiana State might be the overrated bunch.

Cap'n Cat
September 24th, 2007, 01:12 PM
As if this will come as a surprise.

Overrated = Montana
Underrated= SHSU

Reminder, guys:

Thread starter said, "...in your conference"!

xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xrulesx xnonox xnonox

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 01:16 PM
xrulesx
Yeah. Good luck with that. xlolx :p

ElonPride
September 24th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Underrated = THE CITADEL!!!!!

HiHiYikas
September 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM
The Citadel looks to be the SoCon's underatedest team so far...

Maybe Furman's the overratedest team. I still think the odds are good that App isn't overrated. I'll definitely change my tune when/if more conclusive evidence comes in...

It's hard to tell with conference play just beginning.

andy7171
September 24th, 2007, 01:26 PM
CAA
Over rated - Towson (going on pre-season hype)
Underrated - Hofstra (it's a common mistake to look at last years record and assume they stink without looking at the scores, they obviously grew up and took this off season serious)

I don't think you can count Delaware as under rated when they were pre-season in the #12-18 range and haven't budged since.

saint0917
September 24th, 2007, 01:27 PM
After four weeks.. based on the current rankings.. who would you say are the most over-rated and under-rated teams in your conference?

CAA...

over-rated.. UMass

under-rated.. Richmond

A Delaware fan calling Umass over-rater, now theirs shocking news. xrolleyesx xrotatehx

saint0917
September 24th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Over-Rated- Towson

Under-Rated- Hofstra

Appaholic
September 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Overrated: GSU, App St, Furman

GannonFan
September 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
A Delaware fan calling Umass over-rater, now theirs shocking news. xrolleyesx xrotatehx

A UMass fan complaining about not getting their perceived just-do's from a UD fan, that's certainly not shocking news. xlolx xlolx xlolx

Over-rated: Towson (have they ever stepped up in a big game???)

Under-rated: Richmond (Spiders could be scary good - UNH finds out this weekend).

GannonFan
September 24th, 2007, 01:33 PM

gee, you want to include the whole conference in that analysis? You might have missed someone! xlolx xlolx xlolx

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 01:34 PM
A UMass fan complaining about not getting their perceived just-do's from a UD fan, that's certainly not shocking news. xlolx xlolx xlolx
No kidding. To be overrated you generally have to be rated highly... UMass is the higest rated team in the CAA so they are one of the biggest targets for this question.... but I'm still sticking with UD.

saint0917
September 24th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Who's complaining xconfusedx

ChickenMan
September 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM

I've seen UMass twice on TV and they sure don't look like #2 in the nation.. hell they don't even look like #2 in the CAA... :D

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2007, 01:41 PM
My hope is that the Furman players read all the negativity coming their way.

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM
I think they'll rebound next year and should be the #1 team in September 2008. xsmiley_wix

Jaxhen
September 24th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Overrated: Towson

Underrated: Richmond, Villanova

89Hen, actually I think Delaware is rated about where they should be. Who else below them has beaten a playoff caliber team? In fact, there are several teams rated higher that haven't either.

AggieFinn
September 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
NDSU is just a solid team and they have a prime ranking which is well deserved.

UC Davis has struggled with their youth and inexperience. They're coming off their most complete win yet. Right now though, they seem to be rated reasonably...the loss to WWU really hurts. If we manage to win 2 our of the 3 against SJSU, NDSU, and Cal Poly, we'll get respect, but I think we'll probably only beat Cal Poly at home, though we'll have a good game plan for each game.

SUU - flat out unrated for good reason.

Cal Poly - overrated to an extent, they're defense ain't what it was the past 3 seasons.

SDSU - have played some tough ballgames, but they're pulling together, so I'll say underrated at this time.

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Overrated: Towson

Underrated: Richmond, Villanova

89Hen, actually I think Delaware is rated about where they should be. Who else below them has beaten a playoff caliber team? In fact, there are several teams rated higher that haven't either.
Towson isn't rated anymore.

Hofstra - win over Furman
Nicholls - win over Rice

ChickenMan
September 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Even though I have UMass as over-rated.. looking at their CAA schedule.. they really caught a break this year. No JMU.. no UD.. no Richmond and only in the last two weeks with UNH and possibly Hofstra may UMass face stiff CAA competition. I expect that UMass will be unbeaten in FCS play and highly ranked going into the final two weeks of the season.

DrG
September 24th, 2007, 02:09 PM
The Hofstra game scares me. UMass has historically stunk out the joint there, and we even struggled to beat them at home last year.

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2007, 02:21 PM
I can't answer this question until each Ivy school has played at least one League game. I'll post again this weekend.

AppGirl
September 24th, 2007, 02:26 PM

Yes, we were outplayed on Saturday, and we dropped in the polls accordingly. Do you really think we're over-rated? I don't think I'm being too much of a homer by thinking you sound like someone who just jumped on the band-wagon, and are ready to jump ship after one bad game. I think we're fine just where we are. If we play next Saturday like we did Saturday, I'll eat my words.

Black and Gold Express
September 24th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Overrated - GSU. I really thought they were a contender. Contenders don't lose to UTC at home.

Underrated - looks like it may be Elon? You cannot argue with what they've done so far. They definitely have left Western and possibly UTC to be the conference doormats this year.

Go Lehigh TU owl
September 24th, 2007, 02:32 PM
Underrated- Holy Cross, Richmond and WIU (who i picked to make the playoffs) and Yale who might be one of the best Ivy's in a while.

Overrated- Hampton (when are they not), Towson, YSU

Appaholic
September 24th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Yes, we were outplayed on Saturday, and we dropped in the polls accordingly. Do you really think we're over-rated? I don't think I'm being too much of a homer by thinking you sound like someone who just jumped on the band-wagon, and are ready to jump ship after one bad game. I think we're fine just where we are. If we play next Saturday like we did Saturday, I'll eat my words.

Don't worry Appgirl......not jumping off the bandwagon, just my weak attempt at trying to subliminally lull our upcoming competition into thinking we are overrated.......pretty sneaky, huh?......xsmiley_wix

terrierbob
September 24th, 2007, 02:40 PM
************************************************** *****My hope is that they see none of it, and assume FU will win because they almost always win when playing Wofford.

My guess is that they'll be as hungry to win as Wofford was against Boone's Farm.

walliver
September 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
It's the last week of September and Furman doesn't have a countable D-1 win, I don't think there will be any lack of motivation on Furman's part. If they lose this weekend, they will have to run the table just to become play-off eligible.

AZGrizFan
September 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Reminder, guys:

Bison fans just can't contain themselves, Cappy. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Jaxhen
September 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Towson isn't rated anymore.

Hofstra - win over Furman
Nicholls - win over Rice

Yes, Furman is ranked but we really don't know how good a team they are yet and Rice is a pretty bad FBS team. Nicholls St.'s other wins have not been particularly impressive. Polls are fun to talk about, but they really don't mean too much right now.

LehighFan11
September 24th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Ok if you seriously think App St is overrated at #6 you shold please stop watching college football. Just beacuse they lose one game to a top 15 team on the road doesnt mean they are overrated. With a healthy Armanti Edwards App St is easily the best team in the country. I would love to see a top ranked FCS team beat a team like App st did in Michigan. We will get our chance this week as UMASS gets picked apart by BC. App St is still the best team int he country and the only reason they shouldnt still be ranked number 1 is because an unspoken rule is you have to drop at least some in the polls after a loss. But to say App St is overrated at #6 is not even rational.

For PL:
Overrated: Lafayette
Underrated: HC (their offense is big time)

Grizo406
September 24th, 2007, 03:24 PM
All things considered, so far...

Over-rated-Montana.
Under-rated-Wofford.

I'd like to give a shout out to Delaware, but I don't think I'd do them justice!

Grizalltheway
September 24th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Reminder, guys:

You expect a Bison fan to have that sort of reading comprehension? xrolleyesx

X-Factor
September 24th, 2007, 03:42 PM
conference:
Overrated: Cal Poly (shut down Barden (heck of a WR) Cal Poly can not score) Defense is not good this year.
Underrated: SDSU (although there is just no way to rank a 1-3 team in top 25) But honestly, there might only be 2 games left on their schedule that they will be dogs in.

FCS:
Overrated: Montana (lots of teams with FBS wins this year and has Montana even played someone that has won a game yet? I guess Albany beat Fordham by a field goal if that counts)
Underrated: Wofford (I expected them to knock off Appalachian State, but I guess it didn't really surprise me either. Not getting Woff'ed this year!)

AZGrizFan
September 24th, 2007, 04:08 PM
conference:
Overrated: Cal Poly (shut down Barden (heck of a WR) Cal Poly can not score) Defense is not good this year.
Underrated: SDSU (although there is just no way to rank a 1-3 team in top 25) But honestly, there might only be 2 games left on their schedule that they will be dogs in.

FCS:
Overrated: Montana (lots of teams with FBS wins this year and has Montana even played someone that has won a game yet? I guess Albany beat Fordham by a field goal if that counts)
Underrated: Wofford (I expected them to knock off Appalachian State, but I guess it didn't really surprise me either. Not getting Woff'ed this year!)

See the numerous other threads the show Montana's opponents have exactly the same number of D-I wins as NDSU's opponents. Then find something else to bitch about. xthumbsupx

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 04:15 PM
conference:

FCS:

Where did you (or anybody) expect Montana to be right now? I assume it's right where we are. It's hard to say if Montana is overrated, but you jump on that bandwagon rather easily (and happily, I'm sure).

I suppose we'll hear this all year from Bison fans (in particular).

We'll just keep on going out and winning our games and we'll see what happens in the playoffs.

Meanwhile, who really cares? I'd not have Montana #1 or #2 in my poll, if I was doing a poll this year, but neither can I say they're overrated since they've done exactly what they're supposed to have done at this point; blew out their D-II opponent 49-0 and beaten their two FCS opponents by three scores.

mlbowl
September 24th, 2007, 04:17 PM
I guess Albany beat Fordham by a field goal if that counts

Why wouldn't it count?

Shockerman
September 24th, 2007, 04:25 PM
In the Gateway
Over- Is there one?
Under-UNI should be #1 and Mo-State should be getting some more love.

slostang
September 24th, 2007, 04:29 PM
conference:
Overrated: Cal Poly (shut down Barden (heck of a WR) Cal Poly can not score) Defense is not good this year.Underrated: SDSU (although there is just no way to rank a 1-3 team in top 25) But honestly, there might only be 2 games left on their schedule that they will be dogs in.

FCS:

Cal Poly is averaging over 400 yards of offense a game and 180 of those yards are coming on the ground and that is with their top two RBs on the sideline with injuries. By the time NDSU rolls into town, they should be healthy and we will have built some depth. I think that NDSU will have it's hands full this year in San Luis Obispo just like the last time they visited San Luis Obispo and lost 37-6 in 2005.

I agree the defense is not what it was the last three years, but there are probably very few teams in the FCS this year that could say they have a better defense than any of the last three defenses Cal Poly has had. Cal Poly graduated 4 All-American and a total of six starters this last year. That means that over half of the defense is first year starters. The players that are replacing them are very talented but lite on experience. You can see the growth every week as the gain experience. One thing Cal Poly knows how to do is coach defense. Once again, I think they will be hitting on all cylinders by the time NDSU rolls into town. I am looking forward to the game.

DB_Atlantic10
September 24th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Over rated - Montana ( in sports network poll) I am in no way saying they arnt a good team but considering the 3 teams they have played have a what 1-10 record ? to me it doesnt deserve a # 1 ranking

Underrated SIU

Being as objective as possible... I think Montana has a good team as usual, but there is no grounds for them being ranked #1 right now (TSN). Where in the process and what have they done to skip UMass who beat them at home and has not lost to somewhat stiffer competion to date. I vote them 2 or 3, but not #1... IMHO

GtFllsGriz
September 24th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Overated: Possibly NAU

Underated: Possibly EWU

Over annoying: NDSU

and to think that I used to be one of their biggest supporters. Now I am hoping they get beat just to shut them up.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 24th, 2007, 04:32 PM
In our conference (CAA):

Overrated: UMass - maybe?
Underrated: Hofstra and UR

OOC:

SoCon:

Overrated: Furman
Underrated: Citadel

Gateway:

Overrated: YSU
Underrated: UNI - should be #1 :)

Big South:

Overrated: JUST KIDDING!
Underrated: JUST KIDDING AGAIN!

Big Sky Conference:

Overrated: Montana St. (I really don't think they are good this year)
Underrated: Eastern Washington

SLC:

Overrated: McNeese St.
Underrated: Sam Houston St.

GWFC:

All just about right.

MEAC:

Overrated: Hampton
Underrated: Delaware St./SC State

OVC:

Overrated: UT-Martin - yes, I know, they have fallen, but I said this since the summer! See Mr. C, I was right! :P
Underrated: Eastern Illinois... or are they?

Patriot League:

Overrated: No one
Underrated: Holy Cross

DuckDuckGriz
September 24th, 2007, 04:32 PM
The Big Sky

Overrated: Portland State
Underrated: NAU, Montana State

Undecided: Montana

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 24th, 2007, 04:35 PM
I do love the hate-fest that is evolving between Montana and NDSU... could be a long series of playoff matchups in the future!

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Why wouldn't it count?

Because we're Montana, that's why.

Albany also lost by two to Colgate and was in the game the whole way against Hofstra, a team that is now being described as underrated and is ranked #16 (oddly, one below Furman, who they beat xconfusedx ).

I guess you couldn't say they were in against Hofstra the whole way, since they lost by two scores and as the game wore on, time was against them, but Hofstra beat Furman and URI by nearly identical margins as their victory over Albany.

I was at the Albany game, they are a pretty solid team. I was impressed by their QB and special teams play in particular.

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 04:39 PM
Being as objective as possible... I think Montana has a good team as usual, but there is no grounds for them being ranked #1 right now (TSN). Where in the process and what have they done to skip UMass who beat them at home and has not lost to somewhat stiffer competion to date. I vote them 2 or 3, but not #1... IMHO

We have not played UMass this year. Other than that, I can agree with what you say.

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 04:40 PM
Overated: Possibly NAU

Underated: Possibly EWU

Over annoying: NDSU

and to think that I used to be one of their biggest supporters. Now I am hoping they get beat just to shut them up.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

Uncle Buck
September 24th, 2007, 04:50 PM
CAA
Overrated : Hofstra - a lot of inconsistencies, maybe all the losing last year got to me and i'm waiting for the shoe to drop
Underrated: Richmond

th0m
September 24th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Cal Poly. They barely beat a DII and a (winless) Big Sky bottom feeder. Furthermore they lost to a horrible FBS team and an SLC squad in Texas State who has Cal Poly as their only win and got beat by powerhouse Abilene Christian. The DI teams Cal Poly played have a combined record of 2-9 with those two wins coming from...you guessed it, Cal Poly!

WHY are they in the top 25???

DB_Atlantic10
September 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM
We have not played UMass this year. Other than that, I can agree with what you say. Relatively speaking...from the playoffs... UMass is also undefeated this year as the runner up... so my point was how did Montana skip them in the rankings.... They returned as many skilled positions as Montana... and I'm neither a UMass or Montana fan.... But that's the great thing about the FCS, it will all come out in the end.....

slostang
September 24th, 2007, 05:25 PM
Cal Poly. They barely beat a DII and a (winless) Big Sky bottom feeder. Furthermore they lost to a horrible FBS team and an SLC squad in Texas State who has Cal Poly as their only win and got beat by powerhouse Abilene Christian. The DI teams Cal Poly played have a combined record of 2-9 with those two wins coming from...you guessed it, Cal Poly!

Care to bet if they will be there in the end when it really counts?

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2007, 05:28 PM

Same reason Montana is.

CrunchGriz
September 24th, 2007, 05:32 PM
Relatively speaking...from the playoffs... UMass is also undefeated this year as the runner up... so my point was how did Montana skip them in the rankings.... They returned as many skilled positions as Montana... and I'm neither a UMass or Montana fan.... But that's the great thing about the FCS, it will all come out in the end.....

I haven't counted the number of skill position players Montana has back compared to Massachusetts, but the one player that Montana has back who tips this equation Montana's way, and who they didn't have at all last year because of injury, is Lex Hilliard.

Imagine Massachusetts last year without Steve Baylark, and that's what kind of effect I'm talking about. Lex is Montana's Baylark, an All-American caliber big back with speed and nastiness--he adds a different level of talent to Montana's offense that they didn't have last year. By the time Montana played UMass last year they were down to their 3rd and 4th string running backs because of injuries to Lex and Greg Coleman (both of whom are back this year).

Ask fans from those non-Big Sky schools that have played the Griz when the Griz had Lex--e.g., Northwestern State came into Wash-Griz in the 2004 playoffs with the top-ranked run defense in the country, only to watch Hilliard shred them for 171 yards on only 14 carries.

On top of that, one of the big question marks for the Griz at one of the key positions where they didn't have a returning starter, QB, seems to have been answered, as 2005 starter Cole Bergquist is hitting 73% of his passes and running well when necessary, going 55 yards for a TD against Albany last week, for example.

Just a couple of reasons that go a little deeper than a mere counting of returning starters or how they finished last year.

CrunchGriz
September 24th, 2007, 05:34 PM
Same reason Montana is.

And now Montana doesn't even deserve to be in the top 25?

What are you smokin', anyway?

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 05:35 PM
Same reason Montana is.

Really? Is Cal Poly undefeated, too?

at Texas State L 35-38
at Idaho L 13-20
Weber State W 47-19
Western Oregon W 24-17

Hmmmm...nope!

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2007, 05:36 PM
And now Montana doesn't even deserve to be in the top 25?

What are you smokin', anyway?

Never said that. They are a top 10 team. Top 5 I have my doubts. That's based solely on who you have played so far. That's all I'm saying. AZGriz has issues with that though. Your OOC opponents record this year is a whopping 1-10. Oh Boy.

slostang
September 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM

I will give you New Hampshire as a good win for JMU, but your other two wins came against 1-3 VMI and 1-3 Coastal Carolina. Your lost to UNC is to a bad FBS team who is 1-3. Who is UNC's one win against? You guess it, JMU.xnodx

CrunchGriz
September 24th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Never said that. They are a top 10 team. Top 5 I have my doubts. That's based solely on who you have played so far. That's all I'm saying. AZGriz has issues with that though. Your OOC opponents record this year is a whopping 1-10. Oh Boy.

Uh, yes you did say Montana shouldn't be in the top 25:

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0m

Your response:

Same reason Montana is.

Or maybe we're just supposed to read your mind when you make a direct response to why a team is or isn't in the top 25 by using Montana as an example?

No_Skill
September 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
Uh, yes you did say Montana shouldn't be in the top 25:

Quote:
Originally Posted by th0m

Your response:

Same reason Montana is.

Or maybe we're just supposed to read your mind when you make a direct response to why a team is or isn't in the top 25 by using Montana as an example?

Am I reading this wrong?

I don't read it as "Montanta shouldn't be in the top 25". I read it this way, th0m writes "why is Poly in the top 25?" and Backer responds "Poly is in the top 25 for the same reasons as Montana". Those reasons being, last season's performance (preseason rankings) along with having a winning record.

Is that it Backer?

Green26
September 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Ivies.

Underrated: Dartmouth

By the way, I've enjoyed reading this thread. Interesting and easy to read. Good idea for a thread.

TheValleyRaider
September 24th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Patriot League

Overrated: Really hard to say any of them is overrated at this point, but I'll pick Lafayette.

Underrated: Lehigh

GolfingGriz
September 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Montana may be overrated but at this moment they deserve to be where they are. What other team has reached the play-offs 14 straight years? The Griz earn everything they have because if you had to bet on one team to make the play-offs UM would be the smart choice. Like I said earlier UM may be overrated but at this moment they earned what they have and thankfully UM along with everyother school in the FCS will be able to prove their ranking. (yeah I know NDSU, but if your as good as your fans are implying then you'll get your chance next year.)

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM

Three of those losses came to Montana, and I'm not sure the D-II should be counted too much. Were we supposed to pile it on and beat them worse than 49-0? I don't think so.

NDSU opponents are currently 3-7, with two of those wins being over D-II teams (one of them very close). CMU is 1-3 with a win over Toledo (who is 1-3 with a one-point win over Iowa State).

Maybe better than Montana's opponents, but not by much. xreadx

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

Death Dealer
September 24th, 2007, 07:11 PM
I am loving all the hate coming our way. We lose one game to a team that it turns out are pretty good despite their record from last year. We play a team that turns out is the cream of the ACC and outgain them offensively and shut down their running game which is one of the best in the country. And suddenly we are overrated. If we had Montana's cupcake schedule so far, we'd be undefeated too. I'll wait to throw in the towel for a couple more weeks if that's O.K. with the rest of you.

Appaholic
September 24th, 2007, 07:14 PM
Montana may be overrated but at this moment they deserve to be where they are. What other team has reached the play-offs 14 straight years? The Griz earn everything they have because if you had to bet on one team to make the play-offs UM would be the smart choice. Like I said earlier UM may be overrated but at this moment they earned what they have and thankfully UM along with everyother school in the FCS will be able to prove their ranking. (yeah I know NDSU, but if your as good as your fans are implying then you'll get your chance next year.)

So, by your logic, why wouldn't UMass be rated #1? They are currently undefeated (like Montana), but went further than Montana last year.......I believe via Missoula if I'm not mistaken......xeyebrowx

GolfingGriz
September 24th, 2007, 07:23 PM
So, by your logic, why wouldn't UMass be rated #1? They are currently undefeated (like Montana), but went further than Montana last year.......I believe via Missoula if I'm not mistaken......xeyebrowx
UMass is a very quality team and would also be well deserving of the #1 ranking. I just don't understand how people can say the griz are so undeserving. They have made the play-offs 14 straight years and have possibly one of their best teams ever and its widely known. If UMass were ranked #1 that would be fine with me, all i was saying is that I think its ridiculous that people question why we are there. Have they missed the last decade and a half? we're kinda good.

GOTOREROS
September 24th, 2007, 07:25 PM
PFL

Overrated: Jacksonville
Underrated: Dayton

Appaholic
September 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
UMass is a very quality team and would also be well deserving of the #1 ranking. I just don't understand how people can say the griz are so undeserving. They have made the play-offs 14 straight years and have possibly one of their best teams ever and its widely known. If UMass were ranked #1 that would be fine with me, all i was saying is that I think its ridiculous that people question why we are there. Have they missed the last decade and a half? we're kinda good.

Ya'll are good and I certainly don't question why Montana has a high ranking.....fair enough, but that's why I hate polls until at least mid-season...no one is deserving....we are #6, but currently in last place in our conference.....xoopsx

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 07:28 PM
I am loving all the hate coming our way. We lose one game to a team that it turns out are pretty good despite their record from last year. We play a team that turns out is the cream of the ACC and outgain them offensively and shut down their running game which is one of the best in the country. And suddenly we are overrated. If we had Montana's cupcake schedule so far, we'd be undefeated too. I'll wait to throw in the towel for a couple more weeks if that's O.K. with the rest of you.

"If" you had Montana's schedule. You don't. Deal with it, Dealer. :D

bulldog10jw
September 24th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Ivies.

Underrated: Dartmouth

By the way, I've enjoyed reading this thread. Interesting and easy to read. Good idea for a thread.

I'm not so sure Dartmouth is underrated. They should have won the Colgate game and played UNH pretty tough. A lot of people are favoring them over Penn and they should only get better as the year goes on.

Col Hogan
September 24th, 2007, 07:31 PM

But the only past performance that should be used in a poll is this years past performance...

Last year...the last 14 years...should not play into a 2007 ranking...

Who has Montana played so far...UNI has played a stronger schedule...NDSU has played a stronger schedule...than Montana or UMass...

Montana could be #1 at the end of the season...but not now based on who they have played to date this year...

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Last year was last year. UMass lost their senior stud running back, we've regained ours. We lost something like nine seniors, five of them starters (maybe not exact, but close).

We've regained our punter (currently averaging 46 yards), we've gained JD Quinn, there are reasons why a team can come back ranked higher than a team that beat them in a close game the season before.

That said, I have no problem if UMass is ranked #1. It certainly makes some sense.

xpeacex

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 07:34 PM
But the only past performance that should be used in a poll is this years past performance...

Last year...the last 14 years...should not play into a 2007 ranking...

Who has Montana played so far...UNI has played a stronger schedule...NDSU has played a stronger schedule...than Montana or UMass...

Montana could be #1 at the end of the season...but not now based on who they have played to date this year...

NDSU has done well, but their schedule may not be as tough (so far) as it appears.

"NDSU opponents are currently 3-7, with two of those wins being over D-II teams (one of them very close). CMU is 1-3 with a win over Toledo (who is 1-3 with a one-point win over Iowa State).

Maybe better than Montana's opponents, but not by much".

semobison
September 24th, 2007, 07:42 PM
CMU has lost to Kansas, Purdue, and NDSU, pretty tough schedule! Montana deserves a top 4 ranking until proven otherwise. Its only week 4 Backer, lay off the Griz for a while. Your giving a lot of us a bad name!

JackTwice
September 24th, 2007, 07:44 PM

AHHH the ever popular Ron Burgundy "I'm kind of a big deal around here" defense. There is just no comeback to that one. I am now sold on Montana

For the GWFC

Underrated - NDSU - (I don't really think so but I just want to soften them up before they get to Brookings in November):D

Overrated - SUU's athletic leadership - That schedule was just plain stupid.

CID1990
September 24th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Overrated - GSU. I really thought they were a contender. Contenders don't lose to UTC at home.

Underrated - looks like it may be Elon? You cannot argue with what they've done so far. They definitely have left Western and possibly UTC to be the conference doormats this year.

UTC beat GSU in Paulson. Right now, they are not the doormats. They are 1-0, and if we are not careful, they will be 2-0 after next Saturday.

SoDakState
September 24th, 2007, 08:15 PM
GWFC

Over-Cal Poly, lost to Texas State, SDSU clobbered Texas State 38-3

Underrated-SDSU, although 1-3 they already played 2 FCS powerhouses in Youngstown State and UNI. other lose came to a solid Western Illinois team
(is it just me or could this be considered a smack thread?)

UNCBears2010
September 24th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Big Sky:

Overrated: Montana State, Portland State
Underrated: I guess I'll go with Sacramento State, they played Fresno and Portland State pretty well.

On a side note, I think Montana is right where they should be until somebody knocks them off, and I came close to putting my Bears as underrated, because everyone has them penciled in for 0-12 already and I think they can win a game or two.

appfan2008
September 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM
SOCON

Over... Furman

Under... The Citadel

slostang
September 24th, 2007, 08:54 PM
GWFC

Over-Cal Poly, lost to Texas State, SDSU clobbered Texas State 38-3

Underrated-SDSU, although 1-3 they already played 2 FCS powerhouses in Youngstown State and UNI. other lose came to a solid Western Illinois team
(is it just me or could this be considered a smack thread?)

Cal Poly was on the road with six new starters on defense (mostly sophomores and freshmen) who were playing an offense that they had no game tape on (new coach and offense, plus they had Cal Poly's LB coach from 2006 to help breakdown our defense and personel). Those same very talented new starters on defense in the Texas State game are getting reps and are starting to gel into a typical Cal Poly defense. Remember this is a defense that has produced the last three Buck Buchanan winners. Cal Poly's coaches now how to coach defense. Cal Poly's defense will continue to improve.

Cal Poly's offense scored 35 on Texas State on the road compared to 38 that SDSU scored at home. They did that with James Noble having a cast on his hand and Ryan Mole nursing a hamstring injury.

I guess we will see how Cal Poly stacks up to SDSU in three weeks.

charliej
September 24th, 2007, 09:05 PM
over-rated...going against the grain and say Richmond. I could be way off but big wins over N'eastern & Bucknell don't really say too much.I think Nova has beaten better teams & I don't think they should be ranked right now either.

Under-rated..Might have said W&M before the VT debacle...but I have the sinking feeling that UD might be better than I thought.

Really too early to say.See what happens in the next few weeks as Conf. play starts.

blackfordpu
September 24th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Reminder, guys:

Yea, since when are you an advocate of the rules, much less follow them yourself?;) :)

SLC
It is hard to tell. The only two teams that seem to be contenders now are Sam Houston and McNeese St.

UCA and SELA look ok but the rest of the teams are jeckel and hyde at best. I wouldn't touch this conference with Cap'n Cats d**k.xlolx

Gil Dobie
September 24th, 2007, 09:24 PM
No real arguement about ratings.

NDSU has a better record than expected, still some tough games ahead
SDSU Worse, but on the rise
Cal-Poly Worse, but on the rise
UC Davis Worse, not sure which way they are headed
SUU as expected, the death march continues, could pull one out later

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 24th, 2007, 09:32 PM
IN THE CAA:
Over-rated (until we see what happens vs Boston College): UMASS
Under-rated: JMU, Delaware, Richmond, Hofstra
Jury is still out: Villanova, UNH

appfan2008
September 24th, 2007, 09:34 PM
do you really think jmu and del. are underrated? they both in the top 12 or so

AlphaSigMD
September 24th, 2007, 09:34 PM
SOCON

Under: Furman (overall), Citadel

Over: UTC (in-conference), Elon, but only marginally due to being ahead of the Citadel.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 24th, 2007, 09:39 PM
I'm not so sure Dartmouth is underrated. They should have won the Colgate game and played UNH pretty tough. A lot of people are favoring them over Penn and they should only get better as the year goes on.

I will give you that Dartmouth is much improved over last year. However, I'm not sure that Buddy's crew can be considered under-rated at this point, especially being 0-2. Yes, I know the Colgate game was heart-breaking. However, they did NOT play UNH tough. UNH was up 14-0 after 3 minutes AND Santos and company were pulled midway through the 3rd quarter with something like a 45-17 lead.

UNH probably could have scored 70 points. The 'Cats just haven't figured out defense yet (although they did pick the Big Green's 6 pack of rotating QB's 3 times on Saturday).

Let's hope Dartmouth does upset Penn this weekend. Buddy & his kids work too hard not to get some positive results sooner rather than later.

SoDakState
September 24th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Cal Poly was on the road with six new starters on defense (mostly sophomores and freshmen) who were playing an offense that they had no game tape on (new coach and offense, plus they had Cal Poly's LB coach from 2006 to help breakdown our defense and personel). Those same very talented new starters on defense in the Texas State game are getting reps and are starting to gel into a typical Cal Poly defense. Remember this is a defense that has produced the last three Buck Buchanan winners. Cal Poly's coaches now how to coach defense. Cal Poly's defense will continue to improve.

Cal Poly's offense scored 35 on Texas State on the road compared to 38 that SDSU scored at home. They did that with James Noble having a cast on his hand and Ryan Mole nursing a hamstring injury.

I guess we will see how Cal Poly stacks up to SDSU in three weeks.

you have made your point, i guess we will have to see what happens in the Cal Poly SDSU game, but I know what my prediction is.xbowx xnodx xbowx

umassfan
September 24th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Can someone please explain the vast amount of overrated picks for UMass?

FCS Go!
September 24th, 2007, 10:33 PM

Please see all threads that criticize Montana's OOC schedule. Replace all references to Montana with "UMass" and all references to Montana's opponents with a UMass opponent. Welcome to the top of the pile UMass. xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2007, 10:41 PM
CMU has lost to Kansas, Purdue, and NDSU, pretty tough schedule! Montana deserves a top 4 ranking until proven otherwise. Its only week 4 Backer, lay off the Griz for a while. Your giving a lot of us a bad name!

Hell they deserve it. Did you happen to listen to Steve and Jeff tonight? They both talked about the cakewalk schedule Montana has had so far. I'm not the only one saying it. Besides I've admitted Montana is a good team. Only problem is nobody knows really how good or bad they are since they have played nobody. I know it's not the fans fault but if their AD would put together a decent schedule they wouldn't be hearing all the crap about where they are ranked. So far they don't deserve the ranking is all I'm saying. If their fans want to cry foul they should do that crying to their AD. It's a joke to play teams like Ft. Lewis and then expect to be ranked in the top 5 or 10 of FCS. xcoffeex

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Am I reading this wrong?

I don't read it as "Montanta shouldn't be in the top 25". I read it this way, th0m writes "why is Poly in the top 25?" and Backer responds "Poly is in the top 25 for the same reasons as Montana". Those reasons being, last season's performance (preseason rankings) along with having a winning record.

Is that it Backer?

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

slostang
September 24th, 2007, 10:46 PM
you have made your point, i guess we will have to see what happens in the Cal Poly SDSU game, but I know what my prediction is.xbowx xnodx xbowx

You got to be careful with comparative scores. #22 Cal Poly beat Weber State 47-19 last week and #19 Montana State only beat them 21-5 (2 defensive touchdowns) this week. Different styles different scores. You can not say that Cal Poly would beat MSU because they beat WSU by a bigger margin. Just like you can not say SDSU will beat CP because they beat Texas State and Cal Poly did not. It will all work out by the seasons end. Like I said, we will see in three weeks if SDSU is under ranked and Cal Poly is over ranked.

Gil Dobie
September 24th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Hell they deserve it. Did you happen to listen to Steve and Jeff tonight? They both talked about the cakewalk schedule Montana has had so far. I'm not the only one saying it. Besides I've admitted Montana is a good team. Only problem is nobody knows really how good or bad they are since they have played nobody. I know it's not the fans fault but if their AD would put together a decent schedule they wouldn't be hearing all the crap about where they are ranked. So far they don't deserve the ranking is all I'm saying. If their fans want to cry foul they should do that crying to their AD. It's a joke to play teams like Ft. Lewis and then expect to be ranked in the top 5 or 10 of FCS. xcoffeex

I'll hate to read AGS if WIU beats NDSU this weekend. :( xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

All of the Bison faithful will feel the wrath, not just the instigators.

Tailbone
September 24th, 2007, 11:02 PM
........ It's a joke to play teams like Ft. Lewis and then expect to be ranked in the top 5 or 10 of FCS. xcoffeex

NDSU Scheduled OOC

2006 - Concordia
2005 - Arkansas-Monticello
2004 - Carson-Newman, Montana tech, Valparaiso

You sure do an awful lot of crying, Backer.

I don't why you're so bothered by the Montana schedule, or why you are such an anti-Montana crusader, but a quick look at the OOC schedules of many of the top teams is revealing. They all schedule "cupcakes" from time to time, the "mighty Bison" included. It might be different if NDSU never scheduled anything but good competition. Unfortunately, as you turn a blind eye to your own faults while criticizing ours, you expose yourself for what you are......a hypocrite, and a clown.

You are a tool.

gophoenix
September 24th, 2007, 11:02 PM
under: The Citadel, Hofstra, Richmond, UNI, NDSU, Wofford, SC State, EWU, Cal Poly

over: Furman, GSU, Elon, EIU, Gardner-Webb, Hampton, Montana

Why?

EIU, Furman right now, as many other schools, would be gettinga handful of votes.

Elon has played well, but the youth factor is yet to be seen if it can stay consistent. I may sound down on Elon, but we've had plenty of preseasons where we play well and blow it in conference.

The way GSU has played, in any other school, wouldn't even be getting votes, especially with how Newberry handled W Georgia

Hampton is riding their name at the position they are in.

Montana - #1 with a cupcake schedule. Come on, UNI, UMass or NDSU deserves that spot.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Fine let them, at least we play good teams and don't hide behind a hollow record and thump our chest that were rated whatever. I expect their fans to be as pumped about there team as anyone else but some of them don't want to admit they have a soft schedule. They just keep up with the old line of we deserve it based on last years team blah blah blah. NDSU and many others in the top ten deserve their rank based on who they have played and beaten. If we lose we lose but were playing games that are exciting to watch. I was able to see Rhett Bomar play in the dome while Montana fans got to see Fort Lewis State. Even their own fans were saying how much of a yawner it was. I'll happily stay here and take the grief from those who want to lay it on. At least if we lose we can say we did to a top 25 team.

da_Bison
September 24th, 2007, 11:05 PM

I totally agree, I see Bison fans giving the Griz crap and its just fricking Embarrassing. Its not like the Griz fans made up there schedule, damn, givem a break already. Trust me they don't like there schedule any more than the complainers. I've seen some very respectful post from Griz fans towards NDSU and I for one chear for the Griz or any other team from the midwest/west come playoff time. Don't hate the Bison cause a few arrogant fans. And Bison fans we are the new kid on the block as far as FCS goes and we should act respectful and like we've been here (on top) before. Not like a little kid in a toy store for the first time... geeeess

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2007, 11:07 PM
NDSU Scheduled OOC

2006 - Concordia

I don't why you're so bothered by the Montana schedule, or why you are such an anti-Montana crusader, but a quick look at the OOC schedules of many of the top teams is revealing. They all schedule "cupcakes" from time to time, the "mighty Bison" included. It might be different if NDSU never scheduled anything but good competition. Unfortunately, as you turn a blind eye to your own faults while criticizing ours, you expose yourself for what you are......a hypocrite, and a clown.

You are a tool.

Weve already covered that in another thread, you won't learn and your one of them who is the chest thumper for Montana. xcoffeex
Nice way to leave the rest of our OOC schedule out to make yourself look smart. It only makes you look foolish and proves my point.

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2007, 11:08 PM
I totally agree, I see Bison fans giving the Griz crap and its just fricking Embarrassing. Its not like the Griz fans made up there schedule, damn, givem a break already. Trust me they don't like there schedule any more than the complainers. I've seen some very respectful post from Griz fans towards NDSU and I for one chear for the Griz or any other team from the midwest/west come playoff time. Don't hate the Bison cause a few arrogant fans. And Bison fans we are the new kid on the block as far as FCS goes and we should act respectful and like we've been here (on top) before. Not like a little kid in a toy store for the first time... geeeess

Read my post already about who is to blame.

Gil Dobie
September 24th, 2007, 11:10 PM

Cutting down someone elses team or schedule does not make mine better. xthumbsupx

BisonBacker
September 24th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Cutting down someone elses team or schedule does not make mine better. xthumbsupx

I don't know how many times I have to say it they have a good team. I'm not cutting down the team, the schedule yes but not the team.

JBB
September 24th, 2007, 11:20 PM
NDSU Scheduled OOC

2006 - Concordia

You are a tool.

In 2004 we were lucky to have any games! xnodx It was the first year.

All the games mentioned were in the Fabulous Fargo Dome. NDSU has scheduled all of its OOC games in the Fabulous Fargo Dome since it opened. It wasnt until we transitioned to FCS that we went on the road, but hey, we had a very small conference.

When we start the Gateway we will only have 3 OOC. We will play most of them in Fargo unless they are FBS. I wouldnt be surprised to see some D2s in the next couple of years as well. Im sure our old GWFC buddies will show up too. Those could be the only games NDSU plays on the road if they can help it.

We do have some home/homes to wrap up over the next couple years too.

Lets just keep the scheudule clear of teams and fans that show little or no respect to NDSU or the BISON.

With that said there is a lot of momentum for ranked teams. For now Ill say the teams ahead of us may be over ranked but I have no proof. Let them stumble and see what happens.

The poll looks good to me, but I do have NDSU #!. Overated in the eyes of many, Im sure, but no longer getting the "homer rule" invoked.

Tailbone
September 24th, 2007, 11:28 PM
..... Only problem is nobody knows really how good or bad they are

You'll be finding out soon enough.

.......they don't deserve the ranking is all I'm saying. ......It's a joke to play teams like Ft. Lewis and then expect to be ranked in the top 5 or 10 of FCS.

Must be true - 'cuz bisonbacker said so. xrolleyesx

Those who underestimate the United States because they kicked Grenada's arse, do so at their own peril. Quality of competition has nothing to do with the quality of the Griz.

FWIW: I don't give a rats ass whether you feel Montana deserves their ranking or not. Things will work themselves out as the season progresses. I'm pretty confident that come seasons end, Montana will be playing for all the chips and you'll be sitting at home watching on TV with the other buffalo chips.

uofmman1122
September 24th, 2007, 11:31 PM
I don't know how many times I have to say it they have a good team. I'm not cutting down the team, the schedule yes but not the team.Isn't this a thread about the rank of a team? It sure sounds to me like you're cutting down the team.

Go ahead and take the #1 ranking. It's completely meaningless to me at this point. Having actually seen the Griz play, and not basing it on their schedule alone, we are a top 5 team.

BobbyMo
September 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM
NEC
Overated: RMU, the offense is having a lot of problems doing just about anything. Colonials were very lucky to have beaten Morehead State last week.

Underated: Kind of tough, most NEC fans know UA and CCSU are good teams, and hopefully Monmouth can pull things together.

Other:
Underated: I think Dayton is a heck of a team, I think they will be in the hunt with San Diego and Drake for the PFL championship.

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 11:39 PM

Where did Steve and Jeff expect the Griz to be at this point? Are they not there?

Again, look at your own OOC schedule. Your opponents have three wins and seven losses, and two of those wins are over D-II opponents.

If you're to count them, you have to count our D-II win, right? xrolleyesx

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

ngineer
September 24th, 2007, 11:42 PM
CAA -

Underrated - Villanova (3-0 in the FCS against decent competition, but unranked)

They're gettng close--and having seen them myself in person and on tv, they have the personnel to make a lot of noise this year.

Tailbone
September 24th, 2007, 11:44 PM
...you won't learn and your one of them who is the chest thumper for Montana ....

I've made no claims, merely questioned your reasoning.

My mistake, it's obvious that you are incapable of reasoning. xbangx xbangx xbangx

Tod
September 24th, 2007, 11:47 PM
I've made no claims, merely questioned your reasoning.

My mistake, it's obvious that you are incapable of reasoning. xbangx xbangx xbangx

Exactly! BB doesn't have the personality required to broach the subject with respect, or he might just get some agreement on his points, even from Griz fans.

But none of us are going to stand by while he attacks our program.

xnonono2x

Gil Dobie
September 24th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Where did Steve and Jeff expect the Griz to be at this point? Are they not there?

Again, look at your own OOC schedule. Your opponents have three wins and seven losses, and two of those wins are over D-II opponents.

If you're to count them, you have to count our D-II win, right? xrolleyesx

xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

I am not going to rant about Montana's schedule or ratings, because they are what they are. But I will defend NDSU's schedule. They beat a rated FCS team, and a defending FBS conference champion.

Tailbone
September 24th, 2007, 11:54 PM
Exactly! BB doesn't have the personality required to broach the subject with respect, or he might just get some agreement on his points, even from Griz fans.

But none of us are going to stand by while he attacks our program.

xnonono2x

The problem is that you can't have a reasonable discussion with someone who is unwilling to entertain another point of view, no matter how well supported.

BBacker reminds me of the little kid who says his piece, then sticks his fingers in his ears and sings "neener, neener, neener," when you try to respond. I'd say it was adolescent behavior but that would give BBacker more credit than he deserves.

FargoBison
September 24th, 2007, 11:59 PM
If Montana is overated we'll find out against EWU, NAU, and MSU. They aren't Hampton or USD, they actually play more then one good team all year. I do agree and have said their schedule is weak and it very well may come back to bite them in the ass but for now and as long as they keep winning its hard to say they aren't good. They may not deserve to be #1 but if not are they 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th or 6th best? I don't see the point in getting all crazy about a few positions in a poll.

BisonBacker
September 25th, 2007, 12:01 AM
The problem is that you can't have a reasonable discussion with someone who is unwilling to entertain another point of view, no matter how well supported.

BBacker reminds me of the little kid who says his piece, then sticks his fingers in his ears and sings "neener, neener, neener," when you try to respond. I'd say it was adolescent behavior but that would give BBacker more credit than he deserves.

Do you even bother to read anything I've said. You act like an attack dog. If someone questions the almighty Griz your all over them with namecalling. Yet you want to talk about adolescent behavior, way too funny. Check your PM's

Tod
September 25th, 2007, 12:43 AM
I am not going to rant about Montana's schedule or ratings, because they are what they are. But I will defend NDSU's schedule. They beat a rated FCS team, and a defending FBS conference champion.

The ONLY reason that FCS team is ranked is because they came close to beating you in your house. That's IT! Other than that, they have two D-II wins, one was 17-13.

Your defending FBS conference champion is 1-3. Forget last year. You sound like the poster who said we lost to UMass (that was...LAST YEAR!!!).

Welcome to respectability, you've been here for awhile now, and that's the reason SHSU is ranked. Because of your respectability (and their fine play).

Don't try to take ours away. We've earned it.

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 12:49 AM
I'll hate to read AGS if WIU beats NDSU this weekend. :( xsmhx xsmhx xsmhx

All of the Bison faithful will feel the wrath, not just the instigators.

Don't worry, Gil. We know who the instigators are....xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

And I'll be rootin' hard for WIU on Saturday. Just like I was for Wofford this past Saturday. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

Tailbone
September 25th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Do you even bother to read anything I've said. You act like an attack dog. If someone questions the almighty Griz your all over them with namecalling. Yet you want to talk about adolescent behavior, way too funny. Check your PM's

14 straight play-offs, 5 finals appearances, 2 national championships in 14 years - all against as challenging a schedule as any other team in the FCS.
The record speaks for itself, and is deserving of some respect.
In that time, Montana has never finished outside the top ten, and seldom outside the top five.

To single out this season, which is admittedly substandard for the Montana program, and "rub our noses in it", pisses me off. The lack of respect is undeserved.One might fairly criticize the schedule and
it's one thing to state that Montana's schedule is not worthy of the ranking, but it is incorrect to state that Montana doesn't "deserve" whatever ranking is assigned.It is a small but significant semantic distinction.

To evaluate the team on the basis of competition played is ridiculous.
The competition this year may be different than last, but the team itself is the same if not better. in fact, it is substantially better.

It's not my intent to lobby for poll position nor "defend" Montana's schedule. I have no problem with your opinion, just its basis.
Montana is not weaker for having played a weak schedule. I have no problem with those who feel that Montana's schedule is not worthy of the number one position but the team itself is as "deserving" as any of a half dozen other teams.

That's about as plain as I can make it, I'll not belabor the issue.

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 01:15 AM
blah... blah... blah...blah this season, which is admittedly substandard for the Montana program blah... blah...blah... blah... blah... One might fairly criticize the schedule and it's one thing to state that Montana's schedule is not worthy of the ranking,... blah... blah... blah ....Montana is ..... weaker for having played a weak schedule.... blah... blah... blah... blah... Montana's schedule is not worthy of the number one position... blah... blah... blah...

This is what BisonBacker hears..... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

th0m
September 25th, 2007, 02:19 AM
I will give you New Hampshire as a good win for JMU, but your other two wins came against 1-3 VMI and 1-3 Coastal Carolina. Your lost to UNC is to a bad FBS team who is 1-3. Who is UNC's one win against? You guess it, JMU.xnodx

Yup. We beat a team ranked higher than us (top 10), who beat an FBS squad the week after. We dropped in the polls after the UNC loss. And UNC would flat out humiliate Idaho, you have to admit that. The other two wins, yes they weren't very strong teams but we clubbed them, unlike what you did to Western Oregon...If I'd be using your rationale, teams like Montana and Youngstown State would be overrated as well (maybe they are?) because not only did they not play a top 10 team (YSU's SDSU and Stony Brook wins combined probably equal our UNH win) they either lost to an FBS team, and played less than stellar competition (both a DII).

Do you really think Poly should be ranked at this point?

saint0917
September 25th, 2007, 06:31 AM
No kidding. To be overrated you generally have to be rated highly... UMass is the higest rated team in the CAA so they are one of the biggest targets for this question.... but I'm still sticking with UD.

Appy St. and Wofford are rated high in the polls from the Southern Con., does that mean their over-rated xconfusedx USC must be over-rated too. xsmhx. I don't think you and ChickenMan know what over-rated means. xcoffeex

BisonBacker
September 25th, 2007, 07:32 AM
14 straight play-offs, 5 finals appearances, 2 national championships in 14 years - all against as challenging a schedule as any other team in the FCS.
The record speaks for itself, and is deserving of some respect.
In that time, Montana has never finished outside the top ten, and seldom outside the top five.

To single out this season, which is admittedly substandard for the Montana program, and "rub our noses in it", pisses me off. The lack of respect is undeserved.One might fairly criticize the schedule and
it's one thing to state that Montana's schedule is not worthy of the ranking, but it is incorrect to state that Montana doesn't "deserve" whatever ranking is assigned.It is a small but significant semantic distinction.

To evaluate the team on the basis of competition played is ridiculous.
The competition this year may be different than last, but the team itself is the same if not better. in fact, it is substantially better.

It's not my intent to lobby for poll position nor "defend" Montana's schedule. I have no problem with your opinion, just its basis.
Montana is not weaker for having played a weak schedule. I have no problem with those who feel that Montana's schedule is not worthy of the number one position but the team itself is as "deserving" as any of a half dozen other teams.

That's about as plain as I can make it, I'll not belabor the issue.

Just highlighted where you seem to agree with me yet then say you cannot base that ranking on the strength of schedule. Seems to me that if your going to do if for some you must for all or none. If we used your logic USD would be in the top ten. Lets just suffice it to say that we are not going to agree on this one but I stand by my comments. No disrepsect was ever intended or to impune the quality of the program Montana has. It is my opinion however if your AD schedule's the teams he has this year for OOC then many fans not only myself are going to raise the red flag when it comes to Montana's ranking. I fully expect you will be there come playoff time, how well you do noboby knows. I do know that playing better competition makes you a better team and for that Montana is short changing themselves or at least your AD is doing that to you.

OL FU
September 25th, 2007, 07:43 AM
I love the FU guys coming to our defense so I feel a little like a traitor.
Certainly Hofstra is better than people thought before the Furman game however, we have turned the ball over an average of 4 times per game and have a 1-2 record. So based on how we are playing now we can only be considered over rated. Continue to do that and we might end the season with a winning record.

However, that impression can change very quickly this weekend. Win this weekend and stop the turnovers in the future and we will belong in the top 25.

JBB
September 25th, 2007, 07:47 AM

That comment is over rated. Werent you embarrassed when Some BISON fans were here stomping all over Montana State for being "unethical" when they invoked the buyout clause with NDSU? A perfectly legitimate move allowed by a contract NDSU agreed to and signed?

At least the complaint about Montana being rewarded with an unearened ranking has some merit.

Its admitted they have had a weak OOC schedule by everyone. Doesnt that speak to the strength of schedule issue? In todays Fargo Forum UCD coach Bob Biggs:

Biggs said he tries to factor quality wins and strength of schedule into his ratings method. He said that, early in the season, there’s more of an emphasis on a “quality win” than there is on a loss.

Not only is the OOC schedule weak but there are few challenges ahead in the BSC. Clearly its a momentum ranking. Undeserved? I dont know. Unearned? Yes.

Under rated: Appalachian State

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Just highlighted where you seem to agree with me yet then say you cannot base that ranking on the strength of schedule. Seems to me that if your going to do if for some you must for all or none. If we used your logic USD would be in the top ten. Lets just suffice it to say that we are not going to agree on this one but I stand by my comments. No disrepsect was ever intended or to impune the quality of the program Montana has. It is my opinion however if your AD schedule's the teams he has this year for OOC then many fans not only myself are going to raise the red flag when it comes to Montana's ranking. I fully expect you will be there come playoff time, how well you do noboby knows. I do know that playing better competition makes you a better team and for that Montana is short changing themselves or at least your AD is doing that to you.

HInt to BisonBacker: know when you're beat.

Note the 14 straight playoff appearances, 9 straight conference titles, 5 NC appearances, 2 NC's. Does USD have that resume?

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Not only is the OOC schedule weak but there are few challenges ahead in the BSC. Clearly its a momentum ranking. Undeserved? I dont know. Unearned? Yes.

Under rated: Appalachian State

I'm sure the rest of the Big Sky appreciates the love. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2007, 09:32 AM
I don't think you and ChickenMan know what over-rated means. xcoffeex

Sure I do.. UMass at #2 = over-rated.. :p

The truth.. is that UMass hasn't played well enough to be ranked that high and iIf you're honest with your own evaluation.. you dam well know that to be true... ;)

ChickenMan
September 25th, 2007, 09:36 AM

It's called 'objectivity'.. a concept that seems to elude you... :D

89Hen
September 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM
Appy St. and Wofford are rated high in the polls from the Southern Con., does that mean their over-rated xconfusedx USC must be over-rated too. xsmhx. I don't think you and ChickenMan know what over-rated means. xcoffeex
We do... so do you... difference is we call it like we see it... you call it like you see it through maroon colored glasses.

BTW, I guess you ignore the fact that I put UD as most overrated in the CAA. xcoffeex xcoffeex

Gil Dobie
September 25th, 2007, 10:12 AM
The ONLY reason that FCS team is ranked is because they came close to beating you in your house. That's IT! Other than that, they have two D-II wins, one was 17-13.

Your defending FBS conference champion is 1-3. Forget last year. You sound like the poster who said we lost to UMass (that was...LAST YEAR!!!).

Welcome to respectability, you've been here for awhile now, and that's the reason SHSU is ranked. Because of your respectability (and their fine play).

Don't try to take ours away. We've earned it.

As I stated in my previous post, I am not taking anything away from Montana, just defending NDSU's schedule. I have nothing against Montana, a few arrogant fans, but most are good fans. You are doing the bashing and I am only defending NDSU. If you are saying SHSU is ranked with a poor schedule, what does that say about your arguement. The defending FBS conference champ beat Toledo, yes the same Toledo that beat Iowa St. If you want to continue to bash NDSU that's fine, but I won't drop to the level of bashing Montana, maybe some fans, but not the Griz for being ranked high. The Griz are undefeated and deserve to be ranked high.

RDH701
September 25th, 2007, 10:14 AM
All I can say, is, I'm sure glad the games are still played on the field. Whew!

GtFllsGriz
September 25th, 2007, 10:34 AM
Man it is good to see some of the old, respected Bison fans on the board again. I have been a huge Bison backer in the past. I stood and applauded your team when you beat us in our house. I had nothing but respect for your climb to FCS football. I cheered mightily when you nearly beat MN. In fact I just travelled through Fargo a couple of weeks ago and wished that I could have stopped and watched your game with SHSU.

That said, it is hard to maintain those kinds of feelings when one of your fans constantly berates the Griz in EVERY thread on the board. He does not seem to get it when nearly every Griz fan says that they are disgusted with the OOC schedule that we played. Nearly every Griz fan has agreed that NDSU could just as easily be #1. It may not come across that way because we have all been trying to explain and defend our position but the reality is...we all agree!

The fall from the top is a very hard one. We do not know how good the Griz really are yet. The may be REAL good and it will all shake out as the season moves on. Or they may get thumped and the overrated moniker may be right. But the same can be said of NDSU. It already happened to APPY Stated and I still believe they are a VERY GOOD team, possibly still the team to beat.

It is great to support your team and sing their praises but be careful about trying to prop your team up by belittleing others. NDSU may very well be the best team in the land but you don't gain respect by the constant whining and demeaning of others. They will prove it on the field.

Sorry this was so long. I am just getting that off of my chest so that I can again become a fan of NDSU despite the efforts of a very few.

CID1990
September 25th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Overrated: This thread.

Underrated: The schmeckle.

BisonBacker
September 25th, 2007, 10:42 AM
HInt to BisonBacker: know when you're beat.

Note the 14 straight playoff appearances, 9 straight conference titles, 5 NC appearances, 2 NC's. Does USD have that resume?

Playing in the Vaunted BSC, I'd be more willing to give credit if you had more then 2 or 3 teams in the BSC that can give you a game year in and year out. Maybe this will make you feel better. Montana should always be ranked 1 or 2 no matter the win loss record of Montana or it's opponents because they have 14 straight playoff appearances and they are "Montana". All the rest of FCS can scrap for the 3rd to 25 place ranks. No one dare question a Montana fan ever again. That includes the Lowly Bison and their fans xoopsx
Hope that makes you feel better. Carry on now with the Montana is the greatest. You might want to go over and police the posters in the Big Sky power ranking thread I see fans other then Bison Fans dare question the "almighty Griz'. Oh wait forget it I see you've already been there and done that as well. Keep up the good work on AGS watching out in every thread that someone doesn't say something that might be construed as questioning the "Almighty Griz".
Carry On.

BisonBacker
September 25th, 2007, 10:43 AM
Overrated: This thread.

Underrated: The schmeckle.

Now thats some funny ISHT. Thanks this thread needed that. xthumbsupx

saint0917
September 25th, 2007, 10:45 AM

I'll explain it to you, it's called ignorance, some people on this thread call it 'objectivity' :p xrolleyesx

NDB
September 25th, 2007, 10:52 AM
One thing I think we all can agree on:

Thank God we have playoffs!!!

slostang
September 25th, 2007, 10:54 AM
Yup. We beat a team ranked higher than us (top 10), who beat an FBS squad the week after. We dropped in the polls after the UNC loss. And UNC would flat out humiliate Idaho, you have to admit that. The other two wins, yes they weren't very strong teams but we clubbed them, unlike what you did to Western Oregon...If I'd be using your rationale, teams like Montana and Youngstown State would be overrated as well (maybe they are?) because not only did they not play a top 10 team (YSU's SDSU and Stony Brook wins combined probably equal our UNH win) they either lost to an FBS team, and played less than stellar competition (both a DII).

Do you really think Poly should be ranked at this point?

I really do see where you and others do not have Cal Poly ranked. We really have not played a tough schedule and we have two losses. Do I think Cal Poly can play with most teams in the top 25 when healthy? Yes.

Cal Poly has always had a great defense. The coaches know defense. This year they had to replace 4 All-Americans (including the Buchanan winner) and a total of six starters. They got worked at Texas State by an offense they had no game tape on. They have a very talented defense, but it is very young. They are making great strides each week as they mature and they are quickly becoming the type of defense you expect at Cal Poly.

Cal Poly has had very good teams the last few years that have won a lot of games based strickly off their defense. The offense struggled last year. This year they have a very good offense that includes players like 6'6" WR Ramses Barden, RB James Noble, RB Ryan Mole and center Stephen Field. The game against Western Oregon was against a very good DII team (3-0 coming into the game) and Cal Poly sat a lot of players that were nursing injuries. The list includes RB James Noble, RB Ryan Mole, All-American center Stephen Feild, tackle Mike Porter on offense and Ryan Shotwell on defense. Coach Ellerson is trying to get healthy for GWFC play and four games on the road starting Oct. 13th against conference rival UC Davis. If we were playing Davis last week, most of those players would have played with maybe the exception of Ryan Mole.

I truely believe that Cal Poly will make the playoffs this year and are a top 25 team. You may not and you are intitled to your opinion. The season will continue to unfold and we will see who is correct.

89Hen
September 25th, 2007, 11:36 AM
I'll explain it to you, it's called ignorance, some people on this thread call it 'objectivity' :p xrolleyesx
xconfusedx I thought this thread asked who we thought was overrated... Obviously it is your opinion that somebody else can't have their opinion. xnonox xnonono2x xnonox xnonono2x

saint0917
September 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM
xconfusedx I thought this thread asked who we thought was overrated... Obviously it is your opinion that somebody else can't have their opinion. xnonox xnonono2x xnonox xnonono2x

Of course you guys can have an opinion that's fine with me, but, I have the right to disagree with you.xnodx

No_Skill
September 25th, 2007, 12:41 PM
You'll be finding out soon enough.

Must be true - 'cuz bisonbacker said so. xrolleyesx

Those who underestimate the United States because they kicked Grenada's arse, do so at their own peril. Quality of competition has nothing to do with the quality of the Griz.

FWIW: I don't give a rats ass whether you feel Montana deserves their ranking or not. Things will work themselves out as the season progresses. I'm pretty confident that come seasons end, Montana will be playing for all the chips and you'll be sitting at home watching on TV with the other buffalo chips.

Comments like this don't need to be made.

You call for Bison fans to show some class and simmer down, and at the same time you toss out a comment like that? You twist the knife and then complain when you get a little retaliation. Give me a break.

Try to put yourself in our shoes and maybe some of the Bison fans will try to see things from your perspective.

Tailbone
September 25th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Comments like this don't need to be made.

You call for Bison fans to show some class and simmer down, and at the same time you toss out a comment like that? You twist the knife and then complain when you get a little retaliation. Give me a break.

Try to put yourself in our shoes and maybe some of the Bison fans will try to see things from your perspective.

You're right.
I apologize.

89Hen
September 25th, 2007, 03:00 PM
Of course you guys can have an opinion that's fine with me, but, I have the right to disagree with you.xnodx

I'll explain it to you, it's called ignorance
Disagreeing?

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Montana should always be ranked 1 or 2 no matter the win loss record of Montana or it's opponents because they have 14 straight playoff appearances and they are "Montana". All the rest of FCS can scrap for the 3rd to 25 place ranks. Montana is the greatest. Keep up the good work on AGS watching the "Almighty Griz".

As I read between the lines of your post, one thing becomes clear....you're starting to GET it.

Edited for content and clarity.

YOU carry on. ;)

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 04:41 PM
You're right.
I apologize.

Puss.

;) ;) ;)

R.A.
September 25th, 2007, 04:59 PM
MEAC

Underrated: Del State, South Carolina State.

No_Skill
September 25th, 2007, 05:34 PM
You're right.
I apologize.

Cool.

I see NDSU and Montana forming a rivalry in years to come, be it in playoffs or OOC. I'd like it to develop into what we and SDSU have, pretty competitive, but not vicious. I don't want it to turn into what we had with UND and what I'm sure you guys have with MSU. xthumbsupx

We both have good programs, let's move on. Best of luck this season and into the playoffs.

Tailbone
September 25th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Puss.

;) ;) ;)

You're right.
I apologize.

Actually, I'm an ass. Thus Tailbone.
Cap,n Cat's a puss. :D

;)

ngineer
September 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I think this will be a big week for both Holy Cross and Lehigh as to their future in the poll considerations as both play very tough Ivy teams. Good wins by both, and they both should be considered Top 25 material. Losses, and they'll be relegated to meandering in the middle and will need to win the conference (though a 9-2 record) could still get either of them an at-large.

Maroons
September 25th, 2007, 07:22 PM
In the OVC

Over-Rated - UT-Martin - The Skyhawks are coming off their first ever OVC championship in football. Last year they looked like they were also going to win the OVC's first playoff game since 1998. What has happened since then? The Skyhawks are 0-4 and were just beat by the OVC's most under-rated team...

Under-Rated - Austin Peay - The Governors are playing full scholarship football for the first time in a long time. During their tenure in the Pioneer League, they were regularly considered one of the worst football teams in Division I. Now, in their first year of the OVC, they have amassed a 3-1 record with a victory over the defending champs. They are an overtime loss to TSU away from being 4-0. All this from a team that was expected to lose every OVC game.

skinny_uncle
September 25th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Gateway:

Overrated-Ill State
Underrated-WIU

bkrownd
September 25th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Overrated: Boston College xwhistlex
Underrated: boobies! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Seven Would Be Nice
September 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Overrated: Brian Van Gorder's Mustache
http://www.jaguars.com/team/images/Coach(2589)180x240.jpg

It just doesn't live up to the hype.

Seven Would Be Nice
September 25th, 2007, 10:41 PM
Overrated: Boston College xwhistlex
Underrated: boobies! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

I'm not sure if they are underrated... I have them rated pretty high... unless you were talking about under-boob... in which case, are under-rated. xsmiley_wix

DuckDuckGriz
September 26th, 2007, 12:32 AM
Overrated: Brian Van Gorder's Mustache
http://www.jaguars.com/team/images/Coach(2589)180x240.jpg

It just doesn't live up to the hype.

You're right. I grew a better stache in the 8th grade.

th0m
September 26th, 2007, 01:53 AM
I really do see where you and others do not have Cal Poly ranked. We really have not played a tough schedule and we have two losses. Do I think Cal Poly can play with most teams in the top 25 when healthy? Yes.

Cal Poly has always had a great defense. The coaches know defense. This year they had to replace 4 All-Americans (including the Buchanan winner) and a total of six starters. They got worked at Texas State by an offense they had no game tape on. They have a very talented defense, but it is very young. They are making great strides each week as they mature and they are quickly becoming the type of defense you expect at Cal Poly.

Cal Poly has had very good teams the last few years that have won a lot of games based strickly off their defense. The offense struggled last year. This year they have a very good offense that includes players like 6'6" WR Ramses Barden, RB James Noble, RB Ryan Mole and center Stephen Field. The game against Western Oregon was against a very good DII team (3-0 coming into the game) and Cal Poly sat a lot of players that were nursing injuries. The list includes RB James Noble, RB Ryan Mole, All-American center Stephen Feild, tackle Mike Porter on offense and Ryan Shotwell on defense. Coach Ellerson is trying to get healthy for GWFC play and four games on the road starting Oct. 13th against conference rival UC Davis. If we were playing Davis last week, most of those players would have played with maybe the exception of Ryan Mole.

I truely believe that Cal Poly will make the playoffs this year and are a top 25 team. You may not and you are intitled to your opinion. The season will continue to unfold and we will see who is correct.

Thanks for all that info. I do agree that CP will bounce back and definitely will be a top 25 team, and make it into the playoffs so you can whoop them Griz xsmiley_wix :p

WyomingGrizFan
September 26th, 2007, 02:24 AM
As far as the Big Sky goes, from what I held as a belief before the season started, and what has happened since:

Portland State definitely over-rated and Eastern Washington is looking to be under-rated.

carney2
September 26th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Sticking my neck way out, here is one fan's early opinion on the Patriot League:

Overrated:

Lafayette - It may turn out to be the year without a quarterback in Easton.

Lehigh - The jury is still out here, but not yet the Big Brown Machine that the faithful were predicting last winter.

Underrated:

Holy Cross - Air Randolph just keeps flying higher and higher.

Fordham - We can skip that "wait til next year" talk.

Who Knows:

Colgate - Still waiting for a sign. Squeaking by the dregs of the Ivy League at the last minute does not help their case.

Bucknell - What is going on here? Seriously, what in the he-double hockey sticks is going on here?

As Expected:

Georgetown - Some ups (Yale) and some downs (Holy Cross), but still oh-fer.

R.A.
September 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
MEAC

Underrated: Del State, South Carolina State.

xlolx xlolx

Tod
September 29th, 2007, 08:45 PM
xlolx xlolx

xbowx xbowx xbowx

SunCoastBlueHen
September 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM
CAA -

xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx xnodx xthumbsupx