PDA

View Full Version : Sports Network FCS Poll 9/24/07

EmeryZach
September 24th, 2007, 12:38 PM
http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/TSN-DIV-1AA-POLL.htm
Sports Network's FCS College Football Poll
Team (First-place votes) Record Points Previous Rank
1. Montana Grizzlies (46) 3-0 2,396 2
2. Massachusetts Minutemen (18) 4-0 2,345 3
3. Northern Iowa Panthers (12) 4-0 2,272 4
4. North Dakota State Bison (14) 3-0 2,269 5
5. Appalachian State Mountaineers (8) 3-1 2,108 1
6. McNeese State Cowboys (2) 3-0 1,951 6
7. Southern Illinois Salukis (1) 4-0 1,833 7
8. Wofford Terriers (2) 3-1 1,821 13
9. James Madison Dukes 3-1 1,651 8
10. Youngstown State Penguins 3-1 1,616 9
11. New Hampshire Wildcats 2-1 1,522 10
12. Delaware Blue Hens 4-0 1,486 11
13. Hampton Pirates 3-0 1,170 12
14. Hofstra Pride 3-0 1,086 15
15. Sam Houston State Bearkats 2-1 872 17
16. Illinois State Redbirds 2-2 815 14
17. Western Illinois Leathernecks 3-1 782 19
18. Montana State Bobcats 2-1 772 18
19. Eastern Illinois Panthers 2-2 567 20
20. Furman Paladins 1-2 538 16
21. Eastern Washington Eagles 3-0 415 25
22. Yale Bulldogs 2-0 369 21
23. Nicholls State Colonels 3-1 336 NR
24. Elon Phoenix 2-1 263 NR
25. Richmond Spiders 2-1 171 NR
Others receiving votes: Cal Poly 166, Delaware State 119, The Citadel 111, Villanova 107, South Carolina State 55, Southern 42, Northern Arizona 41, Grambling 39, Lafayette 37, Alabama A&M 36, Lehigh 31, Holy Cross 30, Missouri State 27, San Diego 22, Alabama State 19, Eastern Kentucky 17, Georgia Southern 14, Gardner-Webb 9, UC Davis 9, Drake 8, Tennessee State 6, South Dakota State 5, Stony Brook 4, Chattanooga 3, Harvard 2, Dayton 1, Jackson State 1, Norfolk State 1, Northwestern State 1, Towson 1.

As of September 24, 2007, at 01:35 PM ET

MSUBear42
September 24th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Good to see MSU receiving votes again.

gophoenix
September 24th, 2007, 12:39 PM
I do _NOT_ like the fact that Elon is ranked and The Citadel is not. I still feel that The Citadel deserves a ranking at this point more than we do.

EmeryZach
September 24th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I'm not suprised by anything in this poll

Ronbo
September 24th, 2007, 12:44 PM
I honestly wish they would have left us at #2. Although the target is big if you are a top 5 team anyway. Teams gun for #5 hard too, but maybe harder for #1.

Ronbo
September 24th, 2007, 12:46 PM
I see a Eastern Washington team that is looking very good in the early season is getting respect here.xthumbsupx

ElonPride
September 24th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I do _NOT_ like the fact that Elon is ranked and The Citadel is not. I still feel that The Citadel deserves a ranking at this point more than we do.

I agree! The Citadel deserves to be in before us........

Though I am happy to see us ranked, I hate the polls!

bluehenbillk
September 24th, 2007, 12:52 PM
I'm sorry but did 8 voters not realize Wofford beat AppSt by double digits??

EmeryZach
September 24th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Yeah, The Citadel definitely has been playing better than Elon.

Cap'n Cat
September 24th, 2007, 12:57 PM
UNI is just fine where it is.

xwhistlex

CopperCat
September 24th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I see a Eastern Washington team that is looking very good in the early season is getting respect here.xthumbsupx

But do you really think they should have moved up four spots after beating a pretty sad ISU team? Yeah, a couple teams ahead of them lost, but I'm just sayin........

UM-Western
UC-Davis
Idaho St.

jmualex24
September 24th, 2007, 12:58 PM
I know I am a bit of a homer and it doesn't really matter with the playoffs but does JMU seem a little low at #8?

DetroitFlyer
September 24th, 2007, 12:59 PM
Polls are odd animals.... Last week the three PFL teams receiving votes came in as follows:

Drake - 28

San Diego - 33

Dayton - 44

So, move forward one week and Drake loses to UNI, Dayton defeats Fordham and USD is idle.

San Diego - 39

Drake - 45

Dayton - 51

Tough crowd!

EmeryZach
September 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM
I know I am a bit of a homer and it doesn't really matter with the playoffs but does JMU seem a little low at #8?

Honestly I think that is a perfect spot for them. I think UMass is too high at #2.

Rob Iola
September 24th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Good lord, I'm as big a Blue Hens fan as anyone, but yeesh even with a 4-0 start, nationally ranked offense, and a defense jelling into something the 2003 unit would be proud of, I can't argue with their double-digit ranking.

putter
September 24th, 2007, 01:04 PM
Montana should be 2-5 but not yet #1. They are a good team but give them a couple conference weeks to stretch their legs.

USDFAN_55
September 24th, 2007, 01:09 PM
Polls are odd animals.... Last week the three PFL teams receiving votes came in as follows:

Drake - 28

San Diego - 33

Dayton - 44

So, move forward one week and Drake loses to UNI, Dayton defeats Fordham and USD is idle.

San Diego - 39

Drake - 45

Dayton - 51

Tough crowd!

Are you surprised? I hope not.... we are the little non-scholly schools.... we need to prove our worthiness in order to be recognized. Do you honeslty think half those pople voting in that poll have even seen Dayton, San Diego, or Drake play. I think not. Meanwhile other FCS schools sqeak by on reputation alone.

Cap'n Cat
September 24th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Are you surprised? I hope not.... we are the little non-scholly schools.... we need to prove our worthiness in order to be recognized. Do you honeslty think half those pople voting in that poll have even seen Dayton, San Diego, or Drake play. I think not. Meanwhile other FCS schools sqeak by on reputation alone.

Yeah, so?

xeyebrowx

And, BTW, I was on the sidelines of the Drake/UNI game. Bless their PFL hearts, but Drake ain't no FCS playoff contender.

Take 'er easy, Frank.

danefan
September 24th, 2007, 01:16 PM
Interesting that Albany did not get any votes. We played the new #1 relatively tough as well current #14. Just thinking out loud a bit.

Ronbo
September 24th, 2007, 01:18 PM
But do you really think they should have moved up four spots after beating a pretty sad ISU team? Yeah, a couple teams ahead of them lost, but I'm just sayin........

UM-Western
UC-Davis
Idaho St.

They are kickin' pretty good butt. ISU always has good talent even if they underachieve. EWU is #4 in total offense and #5 in scoring in the nation. I will say right now it's going to be a dogfight between UM, MSU, EWU, and NAU for the Big Sky.xthumbsupx

AggieFinn
September 24th, 2007, 01:20 PM
The 3 quality wins for NDSU should get them in the top 3 in my opinion. SFA, a tough Sam Houston bunch, and a thumping of FBS Central Michigan on the road who is coming off a MAC championship.

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics20/200/NS/NSFXWLVUHEYYUSI.20070810144609.jpg

Cap'n Cat
September 24th, 2007, 01:23 PM
The 3 quality wins for NDSU should get them in the top 3 in my opinion. SFA, a tough Sam Houston bunch, and a thumping of FBS Central Michigan on the road who is coming off a MAC championship.

http://www.nmnathletics.com.edgesuite.net/pics20/200/NS/NSFXWLVUHEYYUSI.20070810144609.jpg

#2, 3, 4, 5......

WTF is the difference right now, guys?

xcoffeex

andy7171
September 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM
#2, 3, 4, 5......

WTF is the difference right now, guys?

xcoffeex

The difference for those guys is they don't get to prove it in the playoffs, I guess. The rankings are all they got.

Can you imagine the calamity that will occur within the next few weeks if UNI, Montana, UMass lose bumping up NDSU to a #1 ranking and they hold onto it to the finish? What precentage of the #1 votes would they get in the final post NC game poll? xoopsx

citdog
September 24th, 2007, 01:35 PM
Elon jumped us? YIKES! the sports network must have really, really, really good green!

NDSUFREAK
September 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM
sooo...not too happy with either polls right now

FCSFAN
September 24th, 2007, 01:40 PM
Elon jumped us? YIKES! the sports network must have really, really, really good green!that's what I thought too of their voters, and they always do

ElonPride
September 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Elon jumped us? YIKES! the sports network must have really, really, really good green!

Citdog,

Even we're suprised and somewhat pissed about that! You deserve to be in there before us, hands down.

PaladinFan
September 24th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Who gave Georgia Southern 14 votes?!

They will be lucky to finish in the top half of the conference.

Cap'n Cat
September 24th, 2007, 01:46 PM
The difference for those guys is they don't get to prove it in the playoffs, I guess. The rankings are all they got.

Can you imagine the calamity that will occur within the next few weeks if UNI, Montana, UMass lose bumping up NDSU to a #1 ranking and they hold onto it to the finish? What precentage of the #1 votes would they get in the final post NC game poll? xoopsx

Jesus, guys.

All you provisional people: Sit down, shut up, enjoy the ride. You will be there soon. Right now YOU'RE NOT.

xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

citdog
September 24th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Citdog,

Even we're suprised and somewhat pissed about that! You deserve to be in there before us, hands down.

them elon boys're smart!

Millwoch
September 24th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Citdog,

I for one am not pissed about it. If we win this week we will be in. Either Elon or Appy comes out with a loss after next weekend. So things will be different next week, of course we have to win. I want to make the playoffs, and the polls play a role in that. But it is way to early to get upset about getting jumped when we were idle.

citdog
September 24th, 2007, 01:55 PM
I for one am not pissed about it. If we win this week we will be in. Either Elon or Appy comes out with a loss after next weekend. So things will be different next week, of course we have to win. I want to make the playoffs, and the polls play a role in that. But it is way to early to get upset about getting jumped when we were idle.

Millwoch is the level headed El Cid poster here, and he is right!

Ronbo
September 24th, 2007, 01:57 PM
Guys,guys, all Montana fans are very reserved right now about where we stand. Not many want the #1 ranking. We are yearning for a good game where the Coaches will turn it loose and we'll get to see where we really stand. So far we are playing about 75% against the lesser teams, what I mean by that is we are playing a lot of guys and not opening up the playbook. Hauck is known for this as he doesn't want the entire playbook opened up to all the Big Sky foes. We used about 6-7 running plays and maybe 8-9 passing plays in the Albany game. I'll tell you right now the playbook will be much bigger and complicated by the MSU game and the playoffs. Everyone relax till about the last 3 weeks before the playoffs. It will be very clear by then who the top 10 teams are.xnodx

Cap'n Cat
September 24th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Millwoch is the level headed El Cid poster here, and he is right!

What? He's a bigger maniac than you, you gray-suited cornpone peckerhead, you!

xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

:p

citdog
September 24th, 2007, 01:59 PM
What? He's a bigger maniac than you, you gray-suited cornpone peckerhead, you!

xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx xmadx

:p

thanks cat. brought a tear to this 'Dogs eye!

Cap'n Cat
September 24th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Guys,guys, all Montana fans are very reserved right now about where we stand. Not many want the #1 ranking. We are yearning for a good game where the Coaches will turn it loose and we'll get to see where we really stand. So far we are playing about 75% against the lesser teams, what I mean by that is we are playing a lot of guys and not opening up the playbook. Hauck is known for this as he doesn't want the entire playbook opened up to all the Big Sky foes. We used about 6-7 running plays and maybe 8-9 passing plays in the Albany game. I'll tell you right now the playbook will be much bigger and complicated by the MSU game and the playoffs. Everyone relax till about the last 3 weeks before the playoffs. It will be very clear by then who the top 10 teams are.xnodx

Agree, Ronbo, but recognize that all the coaches of top teams are holding back until confy play. Not just practiced at Montana.

:)

EmeryZach
September 24th, 2007, 02:01 PM
How far will UMass fall after losing to Boston College this coming week?

Ronbo
September 24th, 2007, 02:04 PM
How far will UMass fall after losing to Boston College this coming week?

Beat them and you won't need to worry about that.xnodx

kardplayer
September 24th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Interesting that Albany did not get any votes. We played the new #1 relatively tough as well current #14. Just thinking out loud a bit.

Isn't Albany 1-3?

USDFAN_55
September 24th, 2007, 02:33 PM

But you didn't win. Playing them well shouldn't get you any votes. Wins come with votes.

ElonPride
September 24th, 2007, 02:45 PM
them elon boys're smart!

Well, I'm not too smart......I just know where the recognition should be :)

danefan
September 24th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Isn't Albany 1-3?

I realize they are 1-3, but shouldn't polls be based on the strength of the team? I guess its just my opinion (and I didn't vote this week) and I'll probably get shot for saying this, but Albany is as quality a team, if not better at 1-3 then San Diego, Drake, Dayton, and Stony Brook. Anybody care to disagree with that? Or do you just chalk those votes up to a difference in "Poll Voting philosphy"?

USDFAN_55
September 24th, 2007, 03:00 PM
I realize they are 1-3, but shouldn't polls be based on the strength of the team? I guess its just my opinion (and I didn't vote this week) and I'll probably get shot for saying this, but Albany is as quality a team, if not better at 1-3 then San Diego, Drake, Dayton, and Stony Brook. Anybody care to disagree with that? Or do you just chalk those votes up to a difference in "Poll Voting philosphy"?

What do you base your opinion on that Albany is better than those teams? Because of the strength of schedule? xlolx You may have a stronger schedule, but you are not winning. Being close is not winning, and doesn't deserve votes.

BigApp
September 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM

maybe they thought West Virginia Weslyan was a little tougher opponent than Webber International?
xeyebrowx xlolx xeyebrowx

xsmiley_wix

LehighFan11
September 24th, 2007, 03:07 PM
How does lafayette have more votes than Lehigh after lafayette lost to a team lehigh beat? I know it sounds nitpicky but still some of those lafayette homers are still ranking their team?

danefan
September 24th, 2007, 03:09 PM
What do you base your opinion on that Albany is better than those teams? Because of the strength of schedule? xlolx You may have a stronger schedule, but you are not winning. Being close is not winning, and doesn't deserve votes.

I can see where you would say that and I'm sure that's the opinion of those who haven't seen Albany play. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I just wanted to get the opinion of some others as to why.

I guess it just comes down to a voting philosphy difference.

ElonPride
September 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Anybody care to disagree with that? Or do you just chalk those votes up to a difference in "Poll Voting philosphy"?

Difference in poll voting philosophy? Generally, teams that win are voted on........is that a bad thing?

USDFAN_55
September 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I can see where you would say that and I'm sure that's the opinion of those who haven't seen Albany play. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I just wanted to get the opinion of some others as to why.

I guess it just comes down to a voting philosphy difference.

Well the problem with your voting philosophy is that people would actually have to see the games. These polls are biased highly towards reputation and record (rightfully so sometimes), especially in the early half of the seaon. You can't expect the voters to be able to see all the games and vote off of performance. If they see a 4-0 record and a 1-3 record they will vote the 4-0 record higher, even if the 1-3 team faced nothing but top 25 competition. That's just the way it is.

LehighFan11
September 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Elon should not be ranked yet. They beat a D-II school and hung in there v. a top FBS team. Their record is basically 1-0 v. Liberty, congrats. If they make some noise in the Southern conference and get a win they can hang their hat on then they can be ranked, not yet. BTW isnt great for us Lehigh fans to have Lembo go to Elon and get them ranked while Lehigh is still struggling.

danefan
September 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Difference in poll voting philosophy? Generally, teams that win are voted on........is that a bad thing?

No, that's not a problem at all. It was more of a question, than a gripe.

danefan
September 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Well the problem with your voting philosophy is that people would actually have to see the games. These polls are biased highly towards reputation and record (rightfully so sometimes), especially in the early half of the seaon. You can't expect the voters to be able to see all the games and vote off of performance. If they see a 4-0 record and a 1-3 record they will vote the 4-0 record higher, even if the 1-3 team faced nothing but top 25 competition. That's just the way it is.

Agreed

AZGrizFan
September 24th, 2007, 03:17 PM

When they saw the score Wofford 42, ASU 31, they thought Wofford beat Arizona State University. NO ONE could POSSIBLY have beaten the giant slayer themselves, could they?

terrierbob
September 24th, 2007, 03:18 PM

I realize this is off-topic, but why is it University at Albany instead of the University of Albany?

danefan
September 24th, 2007, 03:19 PM

I realize this is off-topic, but why is it University at Albany instead of the University of Albany?

Because its State University of New York at Albany.

And its UAlbany because there is an Albany State in Georgia (DII team)

Seawolf97
September 24th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Hey Im happy with 4 votes and a 3-1 record. Pretty elite company on this list:) :)

appfan2008
September 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM
I was surprised to see Elon crack the top 25 at 24 this week... may be a tougher game then i thought this week

Appaholic
September 24th, 2007, 08:45 PM
When they saw the score Wofford 42, ASU 31, they thought Wofford beat Arizona State University. NO ONE could POSSIBLY have beaten the giant slayer themselves, could they?

App Envy is getting old....call us when you play outside of Missoula...xcoffeex

JALMOND
September 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM

Maybe they cast their ballots before the game was finished. Or maybe they heard that ASU came back to win and thought it was App State and not Arizona State. Pollsters are a funny bunch, no matter who they are.

CID1990
September 24th, 2007, 09:05 PM

There's anoher thing to consider here, too.

Elon totally dismantled another FCS team that was picked to do quite well this year. Liberty still well might win the Big South. Additionally, Elon hung tough with another FBS team earlier in the season. So did we, but our other two wins were a drubbing of CSU and a very bad NAIA team. So far, Elon is more of a known quantity than El Cid. To tell the truth, I still don't know where we stand. I can remember when we beat South Carolina, and in the same season we lost to UTC. I really hope that the big wins and the scare at Wisconsin are indicative that we have a contender this year, but I am waiting to see how we do this weekend, and later against Wofford.

Millwoch is right though.. if we are a playoff caliber team, then we will be there when the time comes.

CID1990
September 24th, 2007, 09:06 PM
HEY! What happened to my avatar?

pantherfan
September 24th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Agree, Ronbo, but recognize that all the coaches of top teams are holding back until confy play. Not just practiced at Montana.

:)

I was going to say the same thing cap'n. UNI did not even open the playbook against Big XII Iowa State or in thumping SDSU or Drake. I have a feeling that the book will be wide open against ILSU and should be exciting to watch. xcoffeex

pantherfan
September 24th, 2007, 09:15 PM

I saw Drake in person and for them to still be receiving votes in any poll is laughable. They might be good against DIII and non-scholly's, but they are no playoff contender. It was men against boys on Saturday night in Des Moines. Much credit has to go to UNI for that, but honestly, Drake did not look like a team that should have been receiving votes. If they are one of the top two teams in the PFL, the PFL teams have no argument for making the playoffs this season...;)

BDKJMU
September 24th, 2007, 09:22 PM
These polls aren't worth the paper they're written on. I'm no UD fan, but they beat URI last week 38-6 and...drop a spot in the polls. They have an impressive 27-7 win over Towson this week and....drop a spot in the polls yet again. Hell, that may never have happened before. A team has 2 impressive/solid wins back to back and drops a spot in the poll both after wins. JMU has an impressive 45-10 win over CCU...and drops from 8th to 9th. At least 5 teams I counted won on Saturday and yet dropped a spot in the polls. xconfusedx
I've wasted all this time paying attention to the polls. It shouldn't have taken me until now to come to the realization the human polls don't mean jack, and ONLY 3 things matter:
-seed
-AQ
-at large.
So for JMU, my hope is they run the table, finish 10-1, 8-0 CAA, and get the AQ along with a seed. If not, then hope they finish 9-2 or 8-3 and get an at large. I don't care if they're ranked #1, #10, #20, it doesn't mean jack. Rankings at the end of the season are completely irrelevant for the non seed playoff teams not playing a seeded team as far as hosting. Its all based on:
-geography
-butts in seats (size of financial bid)
For ex in 04' #8 or so JMU is sent to play #16 or #17 Lehigh in the 1st round.

I'll be looking at scores & conference standings each weekend, but no more wasting time looking at meaningless polls. End of rant.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 24th, 2007, 09:28 PM
Hard to argue with any polls only 3 to 4 games into the season. However, at the end of the year, everybody better watch out for Northern Iowa, JMU, Wofford, and Delaware. They WILL all be moving up, even NIU who sits at #4.

"Maybe" overrated this early look to be Montana and UMASS, just based on the lack of outstanding competition they've faced so far this young season. We should learn quite a bit more about the Minutemen this week. They beat BC and they should go directly to the head of the class and I shut my mouth. That said, Go UMASS!

crunifan
September 24th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Hard to argue with any polls only 3 to 4 games into the season. However, at the end of the year, everybody better watch out for Northern Iowa, JMU, Wofford, and Delaware. They WILL all be moving up, even NIU who sits at #4.

"Maybe" overrated this early look to be Montana and UMASS, just based on the lack of outstanding competition they've faced so far this young season. We should learn quite a bit more about the Minutemen this week. They beat BC and they should go directly to the head of the class and I shut my mouth. That said, Go UMASS!

It's the University of Northern Iowa. UNI. Not NIU. That is one thing us UNI fans get picky about.

Plus, we are at #3, North Dakota State is the one at number four.

MarkCCU
September 25th, 2007, 08:52 AM

Settle down Francis...

Who is San Diego?

terrierbob
September 25th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Because its State University of New York at Albany.

And its UAlbany because there is an Albany State in Georgia (DII team)

Thanks

citdog
September 25th, 2007, 08:58 AM
It's the University of Northern Iowa. UNI. Not NIU. That is one thing us UNI fans get picky about.

like me and THE Citadel!xthumbsupx