PDA

View Full Version : Fact or Fiction: A 9-2 Hampton makes playoffs with wins over Princeton & S. Illinios

R.A.
September 24th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Fact or Fiction

A 9-2 Hampton Pirates team receives a 2007 At- Large Bid from the Playoff Committee, with wins over Princeton & Southern Illinois?

Why or Why Not?

OL FU
September 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Fact or Fiction

A 9-2 Hampton Pirates team receives a 2007 At- Large Bid from the Playoff Committee, with wins over Princeton & Southern Illinois?

Why or Why Not?

Considering how tough SIU looks, I don't think there is much doubt the answer would be yesxnodx

Cap'n Cat
September 24th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Fact or Fiction

Why or Why Not?

Where's all the Drake talk?

xconfusedx

Same ***** different day.

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Fact or Fiction

Why or Why Not?
Possible, but who are the losses to and what are their records?... If HU were to be third in the MEAC, even with the OOC wins it may be tough. Also depends on what else is out there at 9-2. Too many variables IMO to give a yes or no. xpeacex

bandl
September 24th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Too early to ask the question. They've been struggling against the mediocre teams so far, but they HAVE found a way to beat them. If they continue to play that way against much better opponents like Princeton and SIU, then it's not going to matter because they won't be 9-2 anyways. xreadx

BDKJMU
September 24th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Fact or Fiction

Why or Why Not?

Yes, but its a moot point. Hampton ain't beatin SIU.

R.A.
September 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Possible, but who are the losses to and what are their records?... If HU were to be third in the MEAC, even with the OOC wins it may be tough. Also depends on what else is out there at 9-2. Too many variables IMO to give a yes or no. xpeacex

Okay Okay...
Potential 2007 MEAC Season Ending Standings
SCSU 9-2 (8-0)
DSU 9-2 (7-1)
HIU 9-2 (6-2)

xwhistlex

GannonFan
September 24th, 2007, 12:14 PM
9-2 with those OOC wins - so that's 2 conference losses in the MEAC? Who do you have them losing to? The MEAC probably ain't getting 3 teams in.

EDIT - just saw you're above post - no, they don't get in in that scenario. The MEAC is hurting some teams with the 9 game conference schedules - DSU only will play one OOC FCS team (Coastal who isn't a very good team this year) and SCSU doesn't play a single FCS team OOC (played up against Air Force and South Carolina). Just not enough data against the rest of the FCS world to say that the MEAC should get 3 teams in. Getting 2 teams in might be problematic.

R.A.
September 24th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Yes, but its a moot point. Hampton ain't beatin SIU.

Hampton has Southern Illi at home, at the end of the season.

appfan2008
September 24th, 2007, 12:17 PM
Too many variables to even worry about right now... I would say yes but have to see how things work out in the end

blur2005
September 24th, 2007, 12:18 PM
Kind of an interesting scheduling quirk, yes?

Anyway, in this scenario it'll all depend on how many other teams are 8-3 or 9-2 who have stronger schedules but didn't win their conference titles. So who knows at this point.

bluehenbillk
September 24th, 2007, 12:20 PM
I'd say it's a longshot for the MEAC to get 2 teams in.

BlueHen86
September 24th, 2007, 12:25 PM
Okay Okay...
SCSU 9-2 (8-0)
DSU 9-2 (7-1)
HIU 9-2 (6-2)

xwhistlex

If those are the final standings DSU gets in over Hampton. I don't think the MEAC gets three playoff teams, so I say Hampton does not make the playoffs based on your scenario.

R.A.
September 24th, 2007, 01:10 PM
Kind of an interesting scheduling quirk, yes?

Anyway, in this scenario it'll all depend on how many other teams are 8-3 or 9-2 who have stronger schedules but didn't win their conference titles. So who knows at this point.

Yes. Another quirk that might come into effect is the Hampton Name Game.

They are a hot program right now, and while factors like that aren't suppose to come into play, a recognizable name like Hampton's will draw more attention to the FCS playoffs than other schools will...xwhistlex

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Okay Okay...
SCSU 9-2 (8-0)
DSU 9-2 (7-1)
HIU 9-2 (6-2)

xwhistlex
Then no. Two losses to 9-2 teams that are 3-3 OOC means no playoffs IMO.

R.A.
September 24th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Then no. Two losses to 9-2 teams that are 3-3 OOC means no playoffs IMO.

The out of conference losses would be against Air Force, South Carolina, and Kent State... all FBS schools.

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 01:50 PM
The out of conference losses would be against Air Force, South Carolina, and Kent State... all FBS schools.
I actually forgot you guys have a 9 game conference schedule... that means SCSt is 0-2 OOC and DelSt would be 1-1... yes, the three wins are to I-A's but the ONLY OOC win would be over Coastal... anyone can lose to I-A's.

R.A.
September 24th, 2007, 05:26 PM
I actually forgot you guys have a 9 game conference schedule... that means SCSt is 0-2 OOC and DelSt would be 1-1... yes, the three wins are to I-A's but the ONLY OOC win would be over Coastal... anyone can lose to I-A's.

We play 8 conference games in the MEAC.

GannonFan
September 24th, 2007, 08:59 PM
We play 8 conference games in the MEAC.

??? Hampton, DSU, and SCSU only play 2 teams each from out of the MEAC - whether the 9 games each play against the MEAC are counted as conference games, each of those 3 play 9 games against MEAC teams.

AlphaSigMD
September 24th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Doubtful, but its up to what the committee decides to reward and how the rest of the country shakes up. Its unfortunate, but there's also the possibility that the committee could use the history of poor record in the playoffs as an argument against any potential at-large from the MEAC, not just a 3rd team. Its certainly not fair...but the possibility of just that happening is on the table, and will likely come up if a 2nd or 3rd MEAC team is involved in the discussion for deciding among 3 teams for 1 spot.

Pantherpower
September 24th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Doubtful, but its up to what the committee decides to reward and how the rest of the country shakes up. Its unfortunate, but there's also the possibility that the committee could use the history of poor record in the playoffs as an argument against any potential at-large from the MEAC, not just a 3rd team. Its certainly not fair...but the possibility of just that happening is on the table, and will likely come up if a 2nd or 3rd MEAC team is involved in the discussion for deciding among 3 teams for 1 spot.

I respectfully disagree, AlphaSigMD. In recent years, the MEAC has done nothing to merit more than one representative from their conference to participate in the playoffs.

The game last Thursday between Morgan State and Hampton was simply awful.

Same theory/opinion goes for the OVC.

AlphaSigMD
September 24th, 2007, 10:21 PM
With what do you disagree...that it is unfair, or it is unfortunate? Because we both agree that a 2nd or 3rd team is unlikely.

R.A.
September 24th, 2007, 10:22 PM
??? Hampton, DSU, and SCSU only play 2 teams each from out of the MEAC - whether the 9 games each play against the MEAC are counted as conference games, each of those 3 play 9 games against MEAC teams.

Okay I gotta with the WSSU cite. You're rightxthumbsupx

Lehigh Football Nation
September 24th, 2007, 10:32 PM
In this scenario, Hampton would have lost to SCSU and Delaware State, both which at least would have a chance to be ranked teams at some point or at the point they play the game.

Hampton would have beaten Princeton, which has a slim chance of being ranked, and would have beaten SIU. SIU is a good team, and would have been ranked (at a minumum) #6 in the country, but SIU theoretically could have nothing to play for either.

If SCSU gets the autobid, I think either Delaware State or Hampton would get the at-large bid. It would be a tough call. But I don't think both would get in.

Big Dawg
September 24th, 2007, 11:07 PM
You know there are a lot of possible scenarios considering theres a lot of football to be played...more than likely the MEAC will get only one team in. We gotta win in this year....but since we're going through these possible scenarios...

Okay, what if FAMU finishes 9-2 with losses to DSU & SU(4-0), but has wins against Hampton and SCSU, but Hampton beats DSU, and DSU beats SCSU, SCSU beats Hampton, and Hampton beats SIU and Princeton...okay I just threw something out there.

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Fiction. They'd better win their conference. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

HIU 93
September 25th, 2007, 09:34 AM
With wins over Princeton and SIU, yes. However, if we don't play better than we have so far, it won't matter, because we won't win another game this season.

R.A.
September 29th, 2007, 08:36 PM
With wins over Princeton and SIU, yes. However, if we don't play better than we have so far, it won't matter, because we won't win another game this season.

Go up to Jersey and beat Princeton!!!

siugrad99
September 29th, 2007, 11:25 PM
Hampton will not beat SIU.

R.A.
September 29th, 2007, 11:34 PM
Hampton will not beat SIU.

We'll see how it shakes out after Southern Illinois' Two game stretch versus Youngstown State and Northern Iowa.

RadMann
September 29th, 2007, 11:38 PM
Until the MEAC shows something in the playoffs I don't see them getting any breaks in getting borderline teams into the playoffs. If they start winning playoff games, then they might get the breaks in the future.

Mr. Tiger
September 30th, 2007, 12:24 AM
The MEAC has had two teams in the playoff before. In 1999, Florida A&M and North Carolina A&T made it. FAMU won their first and second round games. So I could see Delaware State or South Carolina State and Hampton going to the playoffs. But I don't think Hampton will beat Southern Illinois. SIU might be the best team in the country. But if they do and finish 9-2, yes they deserve to be in the playoffs.

gr8ness97
September 30th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Dont forget that in 2003, NC A&T and Bethune-Cookman both got into the Playoffs...I think 2 teams will make it this year, 3 is wishful thinking...

oh, and to add, one of those teams wont be Hampton I dont think...and those WSSU games are trap games...;)

Go...gate
September 30th, 2007, 05:48 PM
If Hampton beats Princeton, it may not be such a stylish win. They struggled to beat Columbia yesterday, inexplcably defeated Lafayette and were beaten decisively by Lehigh in their opener.

skinny_uncle
September 30th, 2007, 05:52 PM
Southern Utah and Northern Illinois both had SIU at home early in the season. It didn't work out too well for either of them. Giving the Salukis a whole season to gel is not going to improve matters.

Saluki_man
September 30th, 2007, 11:01 PM
If and only if SIU has absolutly nothing to play for (highly unlikely) will Hampton have a shot at beating SIU. I belive SIU will be playing for atleast a home game, if not a potential seed.

R.A.
October 1st, 2007, 01:07 AM
Stranger things have happened. I thing this week's game versus Princeton puts the FCS on alert, that Hampton is here for the long hull.

And for Southern Illinois, this two game stretch versus Youngstown State and Northern Iowa will be very telling.

By the end of the season, these may be two battle tested top FCS teams.

And Hampton will have home field advantage.

We'll see how it shakes out.

R.A.
October 6th, 2007, 06:10 PM
Stranger things have happened. I think this week's game versus Princeton puts the FCS on alert, that Hampton is here for the long hull.
And for Southern Illinois, this two game stretch versus Youngstown State and Northern Iowa will be very telling.

By the end of the season, these may be two battle tested top FCS teams.

And Hampton will have home field advantage.

We'll see how it shakes out.

#21 Hampton (MEAC) 48
Princeton (IVY) 27

Final

xwhistlex xrolleyesx

FCS, you've been alerted.

drpnut
October 6th, 2007, 10:07 PM
If Hampton doesn't win their Conference they absolutely do not get in at 9-2, regardless of who they beat OOC. Period.

R.A.
October 6th, 2007, 10:53 PM
If Hampton doesn't win their Conference they absolutely do not get in at 9-2, regardless of who they beat OOC. Period.

Thanks for your opinion xthumbsupx

R.A.
October 14th, 2007, 10:43 PM
Considering how tough SIU looks, I don't think there is much doubt the answer would be yesxnodx

Still wanna buy this?

siugrad99
October 14th, 2007, 10:48 PM
My hope is that comment about still wanting to buy this is not saying SIU isn't tough because they lost to UNI on the road ? I would love for any FCS team to go to the UNIDome and attempt to come out with a "W". Hampton better not be using the game against SIU as a resume builder for an at large bid or they will be very disappointed come selection time.

R.A.
October 14th, 2007, 10:52 PM
My hope is that comment about still wanting to buy this is not saying SIU isn't tough because they lost to UNI on the road ? I would love for any FCS team to go to the UNIDome and attempt to come out with a "W". Hampton better not be using the game against SIU as a resume builder for an at large bid or they will be very disappointed come selection time.

Relax, this is just a theoretical situation...IF

McNeese75
October 15th, 2007, 10:26 AM
If the Pirates beat SIU they get my vote (of course that and $5 will get you a cup of coffee at Starbucks) xnodx

Lehigh Football Nation
October 15th, 2007, 11:35 AM
The way the race is shaping up:

If DSU wins out at 10-1 and NSU & Hampton win out, you'd have:

x DSU (10-1)
NSU 9-2
Hampton 9-2

NSU would have wins over SCSU, and ranked Hampton, and their only losses would be to FBS Rutgers and ranked DSU.

Hampton would have wins over SCSU, Princeton and ranked SIU, and their only losses would be to ranked NSU and ranked DSU.

Hampton would have strength of schedule and playoff history, while NSU would have only one FCS loss to the division champ and a win head-to-head against Hampton.

My thought is if this is how it plays out, Hampton gets the at-large bid, and NSU gets woofed.

BlueHen86
October 15th, 2007, 11:43 AM
The way the race is shaping up:

If DSU wins out at 10-1 and NSU & Hampton win out, you'd have:

x DSU (10-1)
NSU 9-2
Hampton 9-2

NSU would have wins over SCSU, and ranked Hampton, and their only losses would be to FBS Rutgers and ranked DSU.

Hampton would have wins over SCSU, Princeton and ranked SIU, and their only losses would be to ranked NSU and ranked DSU.

Hampton would have strength of schedule and playoff history, while NSU would have only one FCS loss to the division champ and a win head-to-head against Hampton.

My thought is if this is how it plays out, Hampton gets the at-large bid, and NSU gets woofed.
I think NSU would get the nod by virtue of their head-to-head win over Hampton.

R.A.
October 16th, 2007, 12:52 PM
"We're not conceding anything," Hampton coach Joe Taylor said. "We feel if we go 9-2, with wins over Princeton (48-27 on Oct. 6) and Southern Illinois (the Pirates' opponent Nov. 17), we still can get playoff consideration.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-spt_nsuranking_1016oct16,0,6075453.story

We'll see how it turns out, but if Southern Illinios finishes top ten, even top five, and Hampton beats them...it will be hard to keep the Pirates out of the playoffs.

I keep hearing about MEAC teams getting foxed, but having a 10-1 conference champion, and two teams with 9-2 records and several victories over ranked opponents would indicate a strong conference season for the MEAC.

9-2 Hampton with a victory over SIU, gets in over a 9-2 SIU team, thats for sure... I wonder how many other teams they may potentially beat out?

BlueHen86
October 16th, 2007, 01:25 PM

We'll see how it turns out, but if Southern Illinios finishes top ten, even top five, and Hampton beats them...it will be hard to keep the Pirates out of the playoffs.

I keep hearing about MEAC teams getting foxed, but having a 10-1 conference champion, and two teams with 9-2 records and several victories over ranked opponents would indicate a strong conference season for the MEAC.

9-2 Hampton with a victory over SIU, gets in over a 9-2 SIU team, thats for sure... I wonder how many other teams they may potentially beat out?

I wouldn't be so sure of that. At 9-2 SIU is, at worst, second in the Gateway and virtually a lock for the playoffs.
If Hampton ends up third in the MEAC they might be out in favor of the top two MEAC teams. I think it is highly unlikely that the MEAC gets three playoff teams. Of course, the committee could take Hampton ahead of either Del St or Norfolk St., I guess we'll have to wait and see.

GannonFan
October 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM

Who are the ranked opponents the MEAC has/would've beaten? It would be only one if Hampton would beat Southern Illinois. The other OOC wins for the MEAC are Coastal (not ranked), Va State (DII), Princeton (not ranked), Savanah St twice (not ranked), Cheyney (DII and a bad DII), Tenn St (not ranked), and Jacksonville (not ranked).

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Let's say all the other Gateway teams lose twice, and SIU already has the auto-bid wrapped up before this game. SIU benches Hill, Randle and others to rest up for the playoffs. Does that SIU win have the same value?

I'm on record as saying if Hampton beats Princeton and SIU, and Norfolk State or Delaware State win the MEAC, then Hampton makes it on reputation alone although NSU and DSU would have beaten them head-to-head. That also means I think that game will have value for both teams late in the season.

If SIU is sitting at 7-3 and Hampton is sitting at 8-2 at that point, it could very well be a playoff game.

R.A.
October 16th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Who are the ranked opponents the MEAC has/would've beaten? It would be only one if Hampton would beat Southern Illinois. The other OOC wins for the MEAC..

I don't recall saying these ranked victories were out of conference wins...
NSU and DSU have both already beat a ranked Hampton team, that would be in addition to if Hampton can pull it out against SIU.

See? Severalxthumbsupx

BlueHen86
October 16th, 2007, 01:49 PM
NSU and DSU have both already beat a ranked Hampton team, that would be in addition to if Hampton can pull it out against SIU.

See? Severalxthumbsupx
You are really grasping for straws if you are pointing out ranked wins against conference opponents since someone has to win the game.:p

You should have pointed out that Coastal Carolina was ranked when Del State beat them.;)

GannonFan
October 16th, 2007, 01:50 PM

See? Severalxthumbsupx

No you didn't, just making sure that's what you were saying. Ultimately, that could really hurt the MEAC - it's tough to get 3 teams in when the schedule is so insular. The loser of the NSU/DSU game could be the snubbed team if Hampton wins against a SIU team that plays its starters - Hampton would probably get in and they would jump over a team that beat them in conference. In Hampton's corner is that both games against NSU and DSU were close. The elephant in the room in all of this too is South Carolina St. - they have a double OT loss to NSU, but they could still win the conference by winning out and having NSU lose twice. Hard, though, to see more than 2 MEAC teams in the playoffs - I don't think there has ever been any more than two and with the 9 game conference schedule there just aren't enough OOC wins to justify more than 2 teams getting in.

R.A.
October 16th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Let's say all the other Gateway teams lose twice, and SIU already has the auto-bid wrapped up before this game. SIU benches Hill, Randle and others to rest up for the playoffs. Does that SIU win have the same value?

I'm on record as saying if Hampton beats Princeton and SIU, and Norfolk State or Delaware State win the MEAC, then Hampton makes it on reputation alone although NSU and DSU would have beaten them head-to-head. That also means I think that game will have value for both teams late in the season.

If SIU is sitting at 7-3 and Hampton is sitting at 8-2 at that point, it could very well be a playoff game.

Okay, good.

But let me throw this at you.

If Hampton finishes at 9-2 and does beat SIU who also finishes at 9-2, there's a possibility that the MEAC's 3rd place team, has a victory over the Gateway's 2nd place team... hmm, just something to think about.

I've got about 21 or 22 teams I'm looking at really hard right now...

HIU 93
October 16th, 2007, 01:52 PM
No you didn't, just making sure that's what you were saying. Ultimately, that could really hurt the MEAC - it's tough to get 3 teams in when the schedule is so insular. The loser of the NSU/DSU game could be the snubbed team if Hampton wins against a SIU team that plays its starters - Hampton would probably get in and they would jump over a team that beat them in conference. In Hampton's corner is that both games against NSU and DSU were close. The elephant in the room in all of this too is South Carolina St. - they have a double OT loss to NSU, but they could still win the conference by winning out and having NSU lose twice. Hard, though, to see more than 2 MEAC teams in the playoffs - I don't think there has ever been any more than two and with the 9 game conference schedule there just aren't enough OOC wins to justify more than 2 teams getting in.

We HAVE to win every game going in. That is our only shot. We can't worry about what other teams do, we had our shot to beat them and we didn't get it done. Now, we have to win. That's all we can do.

R.A.
October 16th, 2007, 02:08 PM
Hard, though, to see more than 2 MEAC teams in the playoffs - I don't think there has ever been any more than two and with the 9 game conference schedule there just aren't enough OOC wins to justify more than 2 teams getting in.

Yeah, that's understandable... still a bunch of football to be played.

Morgan losing to Towson 28-21 and FAMU losing to Southern 33-27, hurt our conference strength in my opinion.

While we may have strong teams... they don't run top to bottom.

But if Hampton goes 9-2 and finishes 3rd in the MEAC, it will be difficult to keep them out of the playoffs.

And if Hampton makes it in the playoffs as a 9-2 3rd Place MEAC squad, it will be even harder to keep out the MEAC's 9-2 2nd place squad...

There's a lot of football to be played.

GannonFan
October 16th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Yeah, that's understandable... still a bunch of football to be played.

Morgan losing to Towson 28-21 and FAMU losing to Southern 33-27, hurt our conference strength in my opinion.

While we may have strong teams... they don't run top to bottom.

But if Hampton goes 9-2 and finishes 3rd in the MEAC, it will be difficult to keep them out of the playoffs.

And if Hampton makes it in the playoffs as a 9-2 3rd Place MEAC squad, it will be even harder to keep out the MEAC's 9-2 2nd place squad...

There's a lot of football to be played.

But that's the problem with 9 game conference schedules in 11 game seasons - it's like playing in a vacuum. You just don't have a chance to prove yourselves against the rest of the FCS or even make a name against an FCS team. If SIU loses to Hampton, they still have a win over FBS Northern Illinois to help them, plus wins over the rest of the teams in their conference who also have beaten either FBS teams or decent FCS opposition. When Hampton loses to an NSU team, that's a team that lost a money game to Rutgers and beat a DII team as their only OOC forays. DSU beat a bad Coastal team and lost badly to Kent St. I think if Hampton would beat SIU then they would have the two best OOC wins for the entire conference, but that doesn't make up for the lack of other wins. I think Hampton gets in and you see the NSU/DSU loser not get in (as you say, with a lot of football still to be played). It's the danger of insular scheduling.

Houndawg
October 16th, 2007, 02:20 PM

I don't see SIU being in a position to rest their starters for that game even if they're 9-1 going in which is not at all a sure thing. They need a home game in the first round too badly.

R.A.
October 16th, 2007, 02:30 PM
You are really grasping for straws if you are pointing out ranked wins against conference opponents since someone has to win the game.:p

Huh??? Please explain what you are saying. I thought that in every game you play-- unless there is a tie-- that someone wins and someone else loses, irregardless of whether it is a conference game or out of conference game.

Are you saying that you can't play to a tie in conference games, and that you can in out of conference games?

You should have pointed out that Coastal Carolina was ranked when Del State beat them.;)

xlolx
I honestly did forget about Coastal, but I know it doesn't seem that way.

BlueHen86
October 16th, 2007, 03:06 PM

Huh??? Please explain what you are saying. I thought that in every game you play-- unless there is a tie-- that someone wins and someone else loses, irregardless of whether it is a conference game or out of conference game.

Are you saying that you can't play to a tie in conference games, and that you can in out of conference games?

xlolx
I honestly did forget about Coastal, but I know it doesn't seem that way.
The strength of a conference is dictated by out of conference wins. The fact that MEAC teams beat other MEAC teams doesn't prove that the MEAC is a strong conference.

Lehigh Football Nation
October 16th, 2007, 04:46 PM
The strength of a conference is dictated by out of conference wins. The fact that MEAC teams beat other MEAC teams doesn't prove that the MEAC is a strong conference.

I'll remember this when considering whether Delaware deserves a playoff bid xlolx

"Gee, those wins over West Chester And Monmouth are quality wins!"

skinny_uncle
October 16th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I don't see SIU being in a position to rest their starters for that game even if they're 9-1 going in which is not at all a sure thing. They need a home game in the first round too badly.
Coach Kill would not sit his starters. He would want them to stay in shape for the playoffs. If anyone sits, it would be because he is nursing an injury.

Houndawg
October 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM
Coach Kill would not sit his starters. He would want them to stay in shape for the playoffs. If anyone sits, it would be because he is nursing an injury.

He's played a lot of players so far.

BlueHen86
October 16th, 2007, 05:22 PM
I'll remember this when considering whether Delaware deserves a playoff bid xlolx

Nice going genious. This isn't the smack board and your comments have nothing to do with the topic.

You have some serious anti-Delaware issues. Sad.

skinny_uncle
October 16th, 2007, 05:32 PM
He's played a lot of players so far.
True.
If it is a blowout, he will probably bring in the reserves in the fourth quarter to mop up. There is a perception with the coaching staff that a couple of years ago when they were blowing out most of their schedule that they did not play their starters enough which led to a first round loss to EWU. The starters were just not used to having to play four quarters that year. You have to weigh that factor against the risk of injury. He will probably play all four tailbacks along with backup QB Joe Allaria assuming they are healthy. They all play in virtually every game anyhow. The Salukis do rotate a lot of players to take advantage of their depth. I was just saying Kill will not rest his starters just because they have cinched a playoff bid at that point. They will play and probably a considerable amount to avoid getting rusty.

Houndawg
October 16th, 2007, 05:48 PM
True.
If it is a blowout, he will probably bring in the reserves in the fourth quarter to mop up. There is a perception with the coaching staff that a couple of years ago when they were blowing out most of their schedule that they did not play their starters enough which led to a first round loss to EWU. The starters were just not used to having to play four quarters that year. You have to weigh that factor against the risk of injury. He will probably play all four tailbacks along with backup QB Joe Allaria assuming they are healthy. They all play in virtually every game anyhow. The Salukis do rotate a lot of players to take advantage of their depth. I was just saying Kill will not rest his starters just because they have cinched a playoff bid at that point. They will play and probably a considerable amount to avoid getting rusty.

From the outside it looks to me like the coaching staff thinks that the time is now. After the UNI game, I have to agree. We're better than I thought.

windwalker
October 16th, 2007, 08:13 PM
IF....

If wishes were fishes we'd have a big fry... This whole thread is speculation.. boring
xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx

BlueHen86
October 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM
IF....

If wishes were fishes we'd have a big fry... This whole thread is speculation.. boring
xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx xblahblahx
Actually, it is a good discussion. It didn't get boring until you arrived.:p ;)

R.A.
October 16th, 2007, 10:03 PM

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

R.A.
October 16th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Yes it is true that this entire thread is speculation.

And SCSU is looking pretty good right now. While I think Hampton will beat the Bulldogs on Saturday, if SCSU beats Hampton during Hampton's homecoming, this thread can be closed shortly afterwards.

Syntax Error
October 16th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Fact

R.A.
October 18th, 2007, 04:19 AM
This Hampton Homecoming game versus South Carolina State will be huge for both teams, but I suspect more for Hampton.

Hampton has a recognizable national name. If they go 9-2, they are probably more likely to make the playoffs than many FCS teams... whether people believe that or not.

But right now, I just don't see Norfolk State finishing in the MEAC 8-0 or 7-1... it can happen, but... we'll see.

RadMann
October 18th, 2007, 05:49 AM
In my opinion the MEAC's past performance in the playoffs will make it harder for borderline MEAC teams getting in. When/if MEAC programs start winning playoff games, this will change but the conference winner needs to change that....

HIU 93
October 18th, 2007, 05:54 AM
This Hampton Homecoming game versus South Carolina State will be huge for both teams, but I suspect more for Hampton.

Hampton has a recognizable national name. If they go 9-2, they are probably more likely to make the playoffs than many FCS teams... whether people believe that or not.

But right now, I just don't see Norfolk State finishing in the MEAC 8-0 or 7-1... it can happen, but... we'll see.

I do. These aren't the Spartans that we've grown accustomed to over the last 20 years. These are the new and improved Spartans. After seeing all the MEAC powers in action, it is my sincere belief that this is a two team race between DSU and NSU.

R.A.
October 18th, 2007, 10:07 AM
Wow...

pantherfan
October 18th, 2007, 12:58 PM

If SIU plays like they did last week in the Dome, they might not lose until well into the playoffs if at all the rest of the season...xnodx

skinny_uncle
October 18th, 2007, 01:48 PM
If SIU plays like they did last week in the Dome, they might not lose until well into the playoffs if at all the rest of the season...xnodx

We don't want to play like we did in the Dome last week. We want to play better.
xnodx

R.A.
October 20th, 2007, 04:39 PM
DEAD THREAD.

Hampton has just lost to SCSU 28-24 during Hampton's homecoming.

The Pirates cannot have a 9 win season now.

Lets lock up the thread moderators.

th0m
October 20th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Too bad for Hampton, but good for the MEAC. Good to see some parity.

blackcaesar3k5
October 20th, 2007, 05:47 PM
They still have small chance to make the playoffs..

Menudo
October 20th, 2007, 09:27 PM

Can I have whatever this guy is smoking.......it's been a long day at work.

Mountain Panther
October 20th, 2007, 09:29 PM
This thread is still going? SIU will destroy Hampton.

AZGrizFan
October 21st, 2007, 12:43 AM
Fact or fiction: An 8-3 Hampton team makes the playoffs.... xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

HIU 93
October 21st, 2007, 07:43 AM

What? Man, you can't be a bigger Hampton fan than me. However, there is NO hope we make the playoffs this year. Our record is still good, but all of our losses are conference games, and we only have two OOC games on our schedule. One of those is a terrible Princeton team. Our next OOC is the last game of the season against a very hot SIU team. If we win, that will go a long way for uor team, but there are THREE conference teams that have beaten us. The MEAC is going to be, at most, a two bid conference. Therefore, the #1 and #2 teams will go. I still think that NSU and DSU will be those two teams.