PDA

View Full Version : A Great Saturday in the Bronx!!

DetroitFlyer
September 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM
Football in the Bronx….

I made my first ever trip to Fordham this past weekend to see the Dayton at Fordham game. Traveling to New York City is a bit intimidating, even for someone living in Metro-Detroit! Prior to the trip, I had been in contact with several folks on the Fordham message board. I was able to get every tip and trick necessary to make the trip a breeze that you could ever think of…! Hats off to the Fordham fans that helped to make my trip so enjoyable.

We arrived at Fordham at about 10:30 AM on Saturday morning. It was exceptionally easy to park in the garage. I had detailed walking instructions from a Fordham fan to get our small party to Umberto’s Clam house on Arthur Avenue. So, out of the gate we go, into the Bronx….

All I can say is, what a great area. There were people everywhere, students, residents, and visitors. We walked down Arthur Avenue towards Umberto’s and were greeted by several Fordham fans who noticed our bright red Dayton garb. EVERYONE we came in contact with was very nice and helpful!! Dayton’s New York Alumni Chapter was hosting a pre-game activity at Umberto’s. The place was packed with UD fans. Pretty cool to see in the middle of New York City, ( Bronx ). The food, drinks and company were excellent and we had a great time. On to the game. Back though the gate, said hi to the nice and helpful guard, and onto Coffee Field. Dayton 31 Fordham 24, enough said about the game!

After the game, we went back to Arthur Avenue and had dinner at Dominick’s. An Italian restaurant that some of the “locals” recommended to us. A fantastic meal! And you want to talk about a booming place, Arthur Avenue was alive in every way you could imagine! I have not seen many areas as vibrant at that street in the Bronx!

After dinner, we made our way back to the GW Bridge. ( Much easier to get out of New York than into New York. ). No problems whatsoever…. This UD fan thoroughly enjoyed his trip to the Bronx and I will certainly be back in 2009 when the Flyers play there again.

If you have an opportunity to attend a game at Fordham, by all means get there! It is easy to park, Coffee Field does not have a bad seat, and the surrounding neighborhood will offer a great deal to keep you busy before and after the game. As for safety, we had ZERO problems and never felt even remotely unsafe outside the gates of Fordham! Just use a bit of good ole common sense, and a trip to Fordham and the Bronx can make for one fantastic Saturday in the fall!!!!

JoltinJoe
September 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
DT: Many thanks for taking the time to post this. I'm glad you guys really had a nice time Saturday (actually, you had too nice a time;) ).

At Fordham, we are up against a widely-held perception of the Bronx which is largely outdated. When people think of the Bronx, they have images from the late 70's and 80's in their minds. They can be unaware of the great progress the Bronx has made in the past 20 years. So a post like yours is greatly appreciated.

As I told you, I'm sorry that a family party kept me from the game on Saturday. I look forward to the game at Dayton next year, although I'm virtually certain that I won't be able to make it.

But if you come back to the Bronx for the game in 2009, I owe you a drink. Thanks again. Joe

PS -- Your choice of Dominick's for your post-game meal was inspired. I'm happy you got a seat because there can be some wait for a table there after 5 p.m. The food there is outstanding and the fun, unpretentious, informal atmosphere is what Italian dining should be all about. One of my favorites, maybe my favorite, on Arthur Avenue.

panther2317
September 24th, 2007, 09:41 AM
When will Fordham schedule some other teams from the Midwest. I'm an alum of the University of Northern Iowa and coming to a Fordham vs. UNI game would be a terrific excuse to come and see one of the greatest metro areas in the world. Also, my wife is a huge Yankees fan and I'd hope that we could find a ticket to a game at Yankee Stadium as well.

JoltinJoe
September 24th, 2007, 04:53 PM
When will Fordham schedule some other teams from the Midwest. I'm an alum of the University of Northern Iowa and coming to a Fordham vs. UNI game would be a terrific excuse to come and see one of the greatest metro areas in the world. Also, my wife is a huge Yankees fan and I'd hope that we could find a ticket to a game at Yankee Stadium as well.

Travel costs of course are the big obstacle.

Assuming this could get off the ground, I doubt UNI would contract for anything less than a home-and-home. I'm not sure what the UNI travel budget is like but a trip to UNI by air for a return game would really strap the Fordham budget. I don't see this working without some UNI subsidy for the Fordham travel costs. And I have no idea if this is feasible since I don't have a grasp of UNI's football expenses.

From a scheduling perspective, UNI would be a great "play up" game for the Rams, for many obvious reasons. What we offer is a New York trip for your fans and alumni. I'd guess if this is something that the UNI fans really wanted, they'd have to communicate that forcefully to their athletic department and then see if something could get done.

Our schedule is booked pretty solidly for the next few seasons so we'd also need to find common open dates.

Does this mean Fordham should prepare for the arrival of Cap'n Cat?
xeekx

http://www.kittens-lair.net/store/en/articles/img40.jpg

And the Ram shall lay down with the Cat ...

Franks Tanks
September 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I have heard many times that Arthur Avenue is NYC's "real" little Italy and I tend to agree. Little Italy in lower Manhattan feels more like a tourist trap anymore than a real neighborhood.