PDA

View Full Version : With that said...

andy7171
September 24th, 2007, 08:08 AM
It was a great time tailgating before the game. In our area we had a big moon bounce for the kids and a radio station blasting music. Lots of Alum were there with their families.
With that said, though I think the heat and more over the humidity played a big factor, I was a little disappointed in not meeting any AGSers who said they were coming. I even brought extra beers for you guys. I had to drink them in your absence.

The crowd was a record breaker at Unitas Stadium, 10,856. I wish I could have seen the home side from across the field, I'm sure it was packed. Delaware fans showed up strong filling a good portion of the other side.
With that said, for the most part the Blue Hen nation was spirited and fun, but a group of 20-30 came marching through a family filled area, tons of kids, prior to the game chanting "**** YOU TOWSON" over and over. Classy.

Towson lost the game this weekend on two plays. Paul Pierce's dropped pass on the 15 yard line that was surely a touchdown and would have tied the score 7-7 in the first quarter and a horrible non pass interference call that resulted in a Blue Hen interception in the 3rd quater.
With that said, Delaware was definately the better team on Saturday night. Flacco is a very good quarterback and Cuff is a stud. Delaware is surely going to the playoffs this year, barring any catastrophic injury.

Towson is in a position now where they have to either win out or go 6-1 with a win over JMU. And right now I can't even see a victory at William and Mary next Saturday. The season is not over, but its going to be a long steep road to get to the post season.
With that said, I really hope Gordy Combs doesn't lose his job over the play calling that cost then Head Coach, and now Offensive Coordinator Phil Albert, his. You can't win games without a running game. A fact we learned in 1992, Gordy's first year as Head Coach, when he matched Alberts previous 3 seasons win totals going 5-5. (Towson went 2-8, 2-9, 1-10 from 1989 to 1991 under Albert) Unfortunately I see that 3 year nightmare rearing its ugly head with this play calling.

I haven't been this depressed about my Tigers since 2002 when we lost to Georgetown.

xnonono2x xnonono2x xnonono2x xmadx

ChickenMan
September 24th, 2007, 08:23 AM
I'm not ready to pencil the Hens into the playoffs just yet.. but this UD team does have the potential to have a 'very' big year. The young defense is already light years better than last year and I expect that they will only get better as the season progresses. As for the offense.. much has been made of Omar Cuff and the running game.. which is very good.. but the passing attack with Joe Flacco is even better. The Hen's '07 offense is totally balanced and if they can avoid injuries.. they will be one of the best ever at UD. UD seems to have all the parts in place.. now if they can keep them there.. I expect the Hens to have a great year.

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 08:38 AM
for the most part the Blue Hen nation was spirited and fun, but a group of 20-30 came marching through a family filled area, tons of kids, prior to the game chanting "**** YOU TOWSON" over and over. Classy.

a horrible non pass interference call that resulted in a Blue Hen interception in the 3rd quater.
FWIW, when we came to Towson in 2004 we sat on the home side and had to move to the visitor side because of the foul language from your female students. xnodx

And maybe that was a make-up call for the horrible offensive pass interference call on Love on the bomb to the endzone. xsmiley_wix

th0m
September 24th, 2007, 08:41 AM
So what you're saying Andy, is that you're gonna beat JMU either way? ;)

andy7171
September 24th, 2007, 08:50 AM
And maybe that was a make-up call for the horrible offensive pass interference call on Love on the bomb to the endzone. xsmiley_wix
I remember no such play.

Actually from the seats we got from the tent party package we were in the 4th row on the 35yard line towards the close end. My girls enjoyed sitting right in front of the cheerleaders. My oldest took several pictures with my camera. I'll dump and post them later.

So what you're saying Andy, is that you're gonna beat JMU either way? ;)

What I'm saying is we're going to have to beat you either way. If the rest of our season is a moutain, JMU is the shear rock face at the peak. It don't look good from where I'm standing.

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 08:54 AM
I remember no such play.

Actually from the seats we got from the tent party package we were in the 4th row on the 35yard line towards the close end.
It was 2nd Q in your end... 32 yard TD pass called back... didn't matter though, the Hens scored 4 plays later. :p

YoUDeeMan
September 24th, 2007, 09:02 AM
andy, you're a level headed guy, but that game wasn't decided on two plays.

You guys had -16 yards rushing and only 157 yards total, 45 of which were on one play.

The game was won in the trenches and a play or two would not have rescued Shuffles & Co. from their physical beating.

Your D played admirably, but if the score would have somehow been closer, UD would have opened up the playbook and scored whatever points were needed.

In the end, the game was not close. I wish your team well, but I think Towson has too many injuries and will not come close to the playoff this year.

andy7171
September 24th, 2007, 09:08 AM
andy, you're a level headed guy, but that game wasn't decided on two plays.

You guys had -16 yards rushing and only 157 yards total, 45 of which were on one play.

The game was won in the trenches and a play or two would not have rescued Shuffles & Co. from their physical beating.

Your D played admirably, but if the score would have somehow been closer, UD would have opened up the playbook and scored whatever points were needed.

In the end, the game was not close. I wish your team well, but I think Towson has too many injuries and will not come close to the playoff this year.

I agree. We were out matched, but the big play was that 3rd quarter interception. Had we scored on that drive it would have been 17-14. regardless, Towson packed it up like the JMU game last year. (Another ugly home embarrassment)

And yes, three dislocated ankles and a broken feet in the first 3 weeks is taking its toll. However what is really becoming apparent as the biggest loss is Bushrod to the Saints.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 24th, 2007, 09:11 AM
for the most part the Blue Hen nation was spirited and fun, but a group of 20-30 came marching through a family filled area, tons of kids, prior to the game chanting "**** YOU TOWSON" over and over. Classy.

FWIW - posters on the GoHens board are complaing about Towson students doing the exact same thing.

Unfortunately, Alcohol + Stupid, Immature Kids = Classless behavior in every college around.

That would have ticked me off too if I had my kids at the game.

andy7171
September 24th, 2007, 09:13 AM
FWIW - posters on the GoHens board are complaing about Towson students doing the exact same thing.

Unfortunately, Alcohol + Stupid, Immature Kids = Classless behavior in every college around.

Good point. I get mad just looking at Towson frat guys, drunk or not.

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM

Exactly right.

henfan
September 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM
That score wasn't indicative of how badly TU was beaten. It wasn't even close. UD absolutely dominated the Tigers in every aspect of the game. The Hens OL was knocked TU 3-4 yards off the ball early and often. The UD defense pressed TU QBs all day. There were no holes for TU backs to run through. I'm not sure 15 positive plays would have changed the outcome of that game for TU.

GannonFan
September 24th, 2007, 09:22 AM
Towson just doesn't have it this year. Of course the injuries take a toll and there's not getting around it that teams that have great years often are teams that have minimal injuries. Any team will suffer with enough injuries. Towson isn't playing horribly, but they've now had two straight weeks of going up against certainly two of the better teams in the CAA and they've come up short. Now they get to go to William and Mary and face a team they haven't beaten in two straight years - and W&M hasn't been very good over the past two years so that's saying something. I think the wheels are starting to come off for the Tigers and they could be very hard pressed to win one of the next 3 (@ W&M, home against Richmond and Hofstra). Tough year for Towson and even tougher in that they are very senior-heavy on defense and next year they'll have issues on that end.

On the issue of kids dropping f-bombs, it happens everywhere from everybody. If it was only 20-some kids then that's pretty good it was that limited.

andy7171
September 24th, 2007, 09:24 AM
That score wasn't indicative of how badly TU was beaten. It wasn't even close. UD absolutely dominated the Tigers in every aspect of the game. The Hens OL was knocked TU 3-4 yards off the ball early and often. The UD defense pressed TU QBs all day. There were no holes for TU backs to run through. I'm not sure 15 positive plays would have changed the outcome of that game for TU.
Sure. Sure. Eat me why don't 'cha? xcoolx

Actaully we had a good return game going. I'd say out average starting field position was around the 40-45 yard line. A fact with further infuriates me. xoopsx xnonono2x xnonono2x xmadx

ChickenMan
September 24th, 2007, 09:31 AM
The major factor in UD's dominance was the outstanding play of the Hen's front seven on defense.. unlike last year.. they totally dominated the Towson offense..

andy7171
September 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM
The major factor in UD's dominance was the outstanding play of the Hen's front seven on defense.. unlike last year.. they totally dominated the Towson offense..

Completely agree. The loss of Bushrod to the NFL and now losing two starting o-lineman for the season has decimated the front line. Not one starter on the offensive line will be in the same position they started out in the Central Conn. game. Being a completely one dimensional offense xnonono2x doesn't help when you have a freshman lining up against a junior/senior with his ears back KNOWING its a pass. If thats not a recipe for disaster, nothing is.

RabidRabbit
September 24th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Sure. Sure. Eat me why don't 'cha? xcoolx

Actaully we had a good return game going. I'd say out average starting field position was around the 40-45 yard line. A fact with further infuriates me. xoopsx xnonono2x xnonono2x xmadx

Sorry that I was running so late that I didn't get to do any tailgating with anyone other than Rabid Jr., his GF, and Ms. Rabid.

Delaware looked sharp, and Omar was a stud, as were the short pass game.

Only Towson bright spot was the returns on kickoffs.

Unitas stadium is nice and I hope to catch more games there in future.

BDKJMU
September 24th, 2007, 09:58 AM
Towson is in a position now where they have to either win out or go 6-1 with a win over JMU. And right now I can't even see a victory at William and Mary next Saturday. The season is not over, but its going to be a long steep road to get to the post season.

Towson's biggest problem (as I think you stated) has been running the football. Towson:
JMU (06') 12 rushing yards.
UMass 22 rushing yards
UD -16 rushing yards.

I realize that includes sack yardage, (6 for negative 49 in the UD game), but still. Pathetic. You have to be at least mediocre in the rushing game, now matter how good your passing game is, to make the playoffs. It seems like Towson just doesn't have the personnel on the 0-line to get it done.

I'm still scratching my head as to how UD gave up 433 yards passing to W&M but only 173 to Towson, when I thought Towson had the superior passing attack coming into the season. xconfusedx

Towson has still got
@W&M- tossup

home UR, 2-1, only loss to I-A, appears better than predicted, might be ranked this week- for Towson a tossup at best

home Hofstra (3-0), been very impressive, way better than predicted, ranked #15-19 in the 3 major polls. Likely loss.

@ Colgate, not a pushover/gimme by any means- probable W.

@Maine- likely W

Nova (3-1 and has won 7 of 8 going back to last season) only loss 31-14 to a decent MD team, for Towson a tossup at best. I'm a little worried about Nova @ JMU next Sat.

@ JMU- likely loss

As I see it, hats 2 likely Ws, 2 likely losses, and 3 tossups. Towson at best finishes 7-4. At worst, 4-7.

andy7171
September 24th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Towson's biggest problem (as I think you stated) has been running the football. Towson:
JMU (06') 12 rushing yards.
UMass 22 rushing yards
UD -16 rushing yards.

I realize that includes sack yardage, (6 for negative 49 in the UD game), but still. Pathetic. You have to be at least mediocre in the rushing game, now matter how good your passing game is, to make the playoffs. It seems like Towson just doesn't have the personnel on the 0-line to get it done.

I'm still scratching my head as to how UD gave up 433 yards passing to W&M but only 173 to Towson, when I thought Towson had the superior passing attack coming into the season. xconfusedx

Towson has still got
@W&M- tossup

home UR, 2-1, only loss to I-A, appears better than predicted, might be ranked this week- for Towson a tossup at best

home Hofstra (3-0), been very impressive, way better than predicted, ranked #15-19 in the 3 major polls. Likely loss.

@ Colgate, not a pushover/gimme by any means- probable W.

@Maine- likely W

Nova (3-1 and has won 7 of 8 going back to last season) only loss 31-14 to a decent MD team, for Towson a tossup at best. I'm a little worried about Nova @ JMU next Sat.

@ JMU- likely loss

As I see it, hats 2 likely Ws, 2 likely losses, and 3 tossups. Towson at best finishes 7-4. At worst, 4-7.
Thanks for the pick me up. xbawlingx I was at the game with 4 of my old offensive line buddies and Tony Vinson who rushed for over 2000 yards my senior year. We know how to win football games by running, we did it. No one is more upset about the Tigers play than we are. This pass offense and play calling is PATHETIC. The only gimme game in the next 8 weeks is the bye. If we continue to keep calling draws as our #1 run play, I don't see us winning more than 1 more game. Zone, Power, Counter. That's how you win.

Shoot me now.

henfan
September 24th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Actaully we had a good return game going. I'd say out average starting field position was around the 40-45 yard line.

That's true. TU did return KOs much better than the Hens... and the Tigers certainly had more opportunities to do that. Actually, KO returns are an area of concern of mine for UD.

Seriously. I watched the game live and on TV. UD throughly dominated both sides of the ball. It was a serious butt-kicking. There's no harm in admitting that.

Lord knows, my team's been dominated like that in the last few years... even at the hands of TU.

HensRock
September 24th, 2007, 12:13 PM
Andy and TigerFan,
I was at the game and would have liked to have met up with you. Maybe next time. I think the outcome was predictable, although I will admit we did not score as much as I thought. Both defenses played better than I expected them to.

I agree with Henfan that KO (both coverage and return) are an area of concern that we need to address.

bluehenbillk
September 24th, 2007, 12:19 PM
Great win for what's becoming an under-appreciated Hens team. UD dominated from the 1st offensive play for TU (Flacco's deflected INT) to the final gun. Our DL looked like beasts out there & we moved the ball fairly consistently.

Andy, I must've been a section to your right, I had a pretty good view of the TU cheerleaders all night, the blonde in the middle xthumbsupx