PDA

View Full Version : Comments on UMASS vs. BC

Cobblestone
September 23rd, 2007, 07:28 PM
How do you UMASS fans feel about this one? Looks like you've been lighting up the scoreboard so far, BC had some trouble with Army who struggled to beat URI.

I think it'll be a battle between to good QB's. I saw Matt Lawrence play when he was at UCONN. He's a good RB and a nice pickup for you guys. I'm expecting to see a good, close game. How about you folks in Amherst?

Minuteman87
September 23rd, 2007, 07:43 PM
If you asked me this before the start of the season, I would have given UMass a good chance. But quite frankly, BC has looked way better than I expected this season, and the word "Heisman" is being used in the same sentence as Matt Ryan (BC's starting QB).

I do know we'll have to be near perfect -- no turnovers, no stupid penalties, no mental mistakes -- to win. I was encouraged that we played with relatively few penalties and few mistakes against Maine. But BC's a bit better than Maine (no offense Black Bear fans).

BC is 4-0, but a road win against GaTech is their only really impressive win. We're 4-0 too, but haven't been challenged much. Still, I BELIEVE!

I'm hoping we can pull an App. State :)

bkrownd
September 23rd, 2007, 07:53 PM
we so ded

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
My only comment is: Good luck.

BC appears to be a good BCS league team, and that makes a UMass win unlikely. But I wouldn't be absolutely shocked if it happened.

UMass922
September 23rd, 2007, 08:30 PM
I'm not getting my hopes up.

KAUMASS
September 23rd, 2007, 08:34 PM
I watched the BC-Army game on t.v. BC's special teams struggled. UMass's special teams so far this year have been outstanding. I am not predicting an upset here, but I would not be surprised if UMass wins this game. They will definately need their A game and they will make some mistakes as usual, hopefully no points come off any UMass mistakes. BC will be able to run the ball between tackles, and I think BC will have some long drives. Our athletes can run with them. Ryan is a good qb, but our secondary has improved each game this year, and hopefully they have their best game of the year and keep him in check. He made some mistakes against Army . I would rather play against Ryan than Santos any day. UMass will have to answer those long drives to stay in this game. I'm hoping Listorti will be back for this game at TE as he is potent weapon. Jurgenson has done a good job at TE, but Listorti was a serious seam route receiver that could outrun any LB coverage.

As I have always believed, any top 5 in FCS can give any top BCS team in the country a game.

UNHWildCats
September 23rd, 2007, 08:37 PM
Last years bowl game between BC and Navy, was close Navy almost pulled it off accept for one bad pitch, and Umass lost to Navy by one point, so i think Umass has a chance to hang around, BCs free safety Jamie Silva knows Coen real well, they played against each other quite a few times in highs school, and both burned each other at different times, its gonna be fun to watch those two again, ill be on the 50.

This isnt last year.

GGASU
September 23rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
The ACC isn't much better than the CAA. Wake Forest won the league last year for goodness sakes!!

If you forget about the subdivision names of each team Boston College would only be favored by around 7. Since UMass plays in the FCS it will most likely be a 20 point line.

Hopefully UMass takes alot of fans to the game and pulls off the upset. xthumbsupx

EmeryZach
September 23rd, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'm going to the game, so i'd be thrilled with the upset. But, Matt Ryan is going to throw for 600 yards and 6 td's.

Final Score:
BC 55 - UMass 24

mainejeff
September 23rd, 2007, 08:57 PM
BC 45 UMass 14

GannonFan
September 23rd, 2007, 09:13 PM
If UMass were clicking on all cylinders right now maybe, just maybe they could win this one. However, UMass is still a work in progress (and obviously they'll be real, real good when they get everything working right). In addition, UMass hasn't done anything in prior, recent FBS showdowns to think they'll win this one - losing to Army and Navy in recent years (close games, but still losses) doesn't instill confidence going into BC.

umassfan
September 23rd, 2007, 09:45 PM
Last years bowl game between BC and Navy, was close Navy almost pulled it off accept for one bad pitch, and Umass lost to Navy by one point, so i think Umass has a chance to hang around, BCs free safety Jamie Silva knows Coen real well, they played against each other quite a few times in highs school, and both burned each other at different times, its gonna be fun to watch those two again, ill be on the 50.

Coen and Silva are good friends. Should be an interesting game.

umassfan
September 23rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
The ACC isn't much better than the CAA. Wake Forest won the league last year for goodness sakes!!

If you forget about the subdivision names of each team Boston College would only be favored by around 7. Since UMass plays in the FCS it will most likely be a 20 point line.

Hopefully UMass takes alot of fans to the game and pulls off the upset. xthumbsupx

Our band wanted to go but BC wouldnt allow it. That would have been 400 student fans for us. They stated there were no tickets for them.

umassfan
September 23rd, 2007, 09:46 PM
BC 45 UMass 14

You did see how Army was brought to OT by URI and BC only beat Army by 20 late in the game.... right?

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 23rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
Never thought I would say this, but, Let's Go UMASS! xthumbsupx What a great win this will be for UMASS, the CAA, and the FCS -- & by extrapolation, for UNH when they slay the Minutemen later in the season! :D

EmeryZach
September 23rd, 2007, 11:31 PM
UMass really blew it with the visiting team tickets. They didn't offer any to students who wanted to go. Students had to buy them from BC directly, so we won't be together which sucks big time. The UMass box office said they were saving the tickets that BC gave them for season ticket holders only and that they didn't have student tickets. Big Big Bummer. I ended up buying them from the BC box office, but i'm sure I'll just be surrounded by BC fans. Would have loved to be in the UMass section. And not having the band there sucks too. I wonder if they don't allow any visiting bands or just UMass's band. Oh well, should still be fun (before Ryan throws for 600).

GreatAppSt
September 24th, 2007, 12:43 AM
SHAKE UP THE FBS WORLD UMASS!!!xthumbsupx I imagine a few talking heads might pop if another ranked FBS team takes an L to an FCS squad.xlolx Oh my, I can see it now it would be would be grand.:D now ge out their an win it for yourselves. Looking at the matchup you have a chance.xthumbsupx

Is there much rivalry with BC in other sports? If yes this factor could hurt your cause.xoopsx

UMass922
September 24th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Our band wanted to go but BC wouldnt allow it. That would have been 400 student fans for us. They stated there were no tickets for them.

Maybe BC is afraid of a superior band from an FCS school stealing the show.

EmeryZach
September 24th, 2007, 01:01 AM
Is there much rivalry with BC in other sports? If yes this factor could hurt your cause.

Hockey. That's the big rivalry we have with BC. Those games are crazy. And we owned them last year. If our student section at the football games was as crazy as it is at the hockey games then McGuirk stadium would be a really difficult place to play.
BC has our number in basketball, we haven't looked very competitive against them the last few years.
The UMass students just really despise anyone from Boston College. They are snobby little kids who all went to fancy prep schools and catholic schools. The best example I can give you is at the hockey games against BC, when we are winning, the UMass student section starts chanting "Jesus Hates You" while pointing to the BC goalie. Great stuff, gotta love it.

Col Hogan
September 24th, 2007, 05:25 AM
UMass will give BC a good run...but unless we play a near perfect game, I'm afraid we'll leave Chestnut Hill with an L...

Last year doesn't count for squat this season...UMass is still working out kinks while BC looks to be ready for the ACC conference push...

hvsader
September 24th, 2007, 05:46 AM

From what I saw they don't need tickets..what is that constant drum beat being played OUTSIDE the stadium, 2nd half, I heard at the Holy Cross game? Very efffective but why were they in a parking lot?

Kosty
September 24th, 2007, 08:04 AM
As much as I would love for UMass to pull off the upset, I don't know if we can do it. Remember, Coen is still a little hobbled and will be in a knee brace again (I believe). If Coen were 100% healthy, I'd say we had a much better chance at winning but unfortunately I don't see it happening. But I think Lawrence and Nelson will have big days.

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2007, 08:53 AM
As much as I'd love to see UMass win this game, I think BC has too much firepower for the Minutemen. BC wins, 35-17.

DrG
September 24th, 2007, 09:44 AM
It'll be tough, but UMass is not supposed to win anyway, are they? If we can stay with them for the better part of the game and come away without injuries, I'll be satisfied. If something special happens (e.g. Ann Arbor on Sept. 1st), I may not make it back to work for a week. And thanks to all FCS fans for your words of encouragement.xthumbsupx

EmeryZach
September 24th, 2007, 09:56 AM
If UMass wins the riot police will need to be in action very quickly. I mean, the students rioted after losing to App State last year. I can't even imagine what that riot would look like. Amherst would be burning. I'm sure the UMass officials already have a game plan to stop that.

Ivytalk
September 24th, 2007, 10:25 AM
If UMass wins the riot police will need to be in action very quickly. I mean, the students rioted after losing to App State last year. I can't even imagine what that riot would look like. Amherst would be burning. I'm sure the UMass officials already have a game plan to stop that.

Didn't they riot at UMass after the Red Sox won the World Series? I think the students have had some practice!:p

bluehenbillk
September 24th, 2007, 10:29 AM
UMass is a real good team, that being said I don't think they have much of a chance against a BC team that has looked real good so far this year. Ryan is extremely under-rated at QB.

Ram Ball
September 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I'm assuming the game is sold out -- is it on TV?

KAUMASS
September 24th, 2007, 05:08 PM
I'm assuming the game is sold out -- is it on TV?

ESPN 360..I believe you can get an internet feed.

KAUMASS
September 24th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Here is my research..I did something similar for the App. St-Michigan game and it worked. I had stated why not App. State and that they have a chance..I was slaughtered by a number of AGS'rs for those posts, but I had the last laugh. Here we go. Commen opponents from last year and this year with stats.

BC -Navy Game-Minike Bowl-'06
BC rushed for 73 yards, and passed for 242.-403 total
Navy rushed for 322 yards and passed for 315-415 total
BC won by 3, and were lucky to win that game.

UMass-Navy-06
Navy-rushed for 268 yards, passed for 21-289 total.
UMass-rushed for 109, passed for 187-296 total.
Navy won by 1, by the skin of thier teeth(can you say penalties?!!)

Army-BC
Army rushed for 44 yards, passed for 215-total 259
BC rushed for 202, passed for 371-total 573
Army hung around, lost by 20.

Army -Wake Forest
Army rushed for 91 yards, passed for 165-total 261
Wake rushed for 164 yards, passed for 49.-total 213
Wake won by 11.

Wake Forest -BC
Wake rushed for 2 yards, passed for 366-total 368
BC rushed for 54 yards, passed for 408.-total 462

URI-Army
URI rushed for 158 yards, passed for 145-total 303
Army rushed for 46 yards, passed for 230-total 276
Army won ot by 7.

Some interesting stats, and I know, last year's team was last years team. But, Wake hung 366 yards passing on BC, Army hung 215 yards passing this year. Ryan has some decent stats this year, so does Coen.

UMass has a better team than Army this year and I hope BC takes us lightly. Coen should have a good day passing, and I know our running attack is better than Army. I predict a very close game, possibly o.t. My prediction is whoever's QB throws more interceptions, that team will lose.

Bring it on any naysayers...I don't care about BC's 10 ranking. I believe UMass will be the fastest all around team they have seen this year. Special teams advantage to UMass. I will be on the 30 yard line with my seatbelt buckled.

BTW, my main point of this post is that UMass has a chance to win. On paper, BC has the depth. I hope it is a cool day, not to hot. Forecast looks like 70'ish with a few clouds..beautiful. I hope Coach Brown reminds everyone that BC's players puts their pants on one leg at a time. Our kids will not be intimitaded, they have played some big games the last few years. Why not UMass over BC this year!! We have plenty of big -time players wearing Maroon and White this year. I can't wait till Saturday and see the FBS world shook up again as UMass plays it's best game of the year.

DrG
September 24th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Ryan is extremely under-rated at QB.
I wouldn't say that's the case. He's already getting Heisman consideration in the media.

Sam Adams
September 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
UMass will win.

hawkineer
September 24th, 2007, 07:12 PM
As I have always believed, any top 5 in FCS can give any top BCS team in the country a game.

Would that include USC, LSU, and Florida? Me thinks not! xnonox

Go...gate
September 24th, 2007, 08:49 PM
I'll be rooting for UMass. BC really seems to be impressed with themselves these days.

EmeryZach
September 24th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Our pass defense just isn't what it needs to be to win this game. Like I've said many times on here, Matt Ryan will pick us apart. We're going to make Matt Ryan look like an even better Colt Brennan. Ryan will have 400+ passing yards.

KAUMASS
September 25th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Would that include USC, LSU, and Florida? Me thinks not! xnonox

Yes it does, and the statement says they would give them a game. Wstn Carolina hung in with Florida last year for a half, and Wstn Carolina was not a top 25 FCS squad last year. xeekx xpeacex xthumbsupx

KAUMASS
September 25th, 2007, 07:19 AM
Our pass defense just isn't what it needs to be to win this game. Like I've said many times on here, Matt Ryan will pick us apart. We're going to make Matt Ryan look like an even better Colt Brennan. Ryan will have 400+ passing yards.

Our secondary is coming together and kids that have transferred like Isenhour are getting comfortable in the system with Brown's defensive schemes. Ryan will have his yards, but our D will be ready. We will need to get some pressure on him, like we did against Swogger last year at Montana or Schaefer with Towson. I believe Montana's line was just as big as BC's O line is. Ryan is not head and shoulders above any quarterback we have played in the last 2 years. He is good, and the only reason he is mentioned for the Heisman is because they are 4-0, but against mid-pack FBS schools. I would rather play against Ryan anyday than Santos or Armenti Edwards, as Ryan is not much of a threat with the run. If Santos or Edwards played in the FBS ranks, they would be up there in the Heisman watch as well. It will be a fun day to watch, hopefully no injuries and the pressure is on BC as they are expected to win. UMass has a shot to win this game. Our skill positions match up, our O - line is big, both teams have outstanding qb's. My main concern is it is not a hot day, as a hot day will favor BC with their depth level.

Kymermosst
September 25th, 2007, 01:19 PM
From what I saw they don't need tickets..what is that constant drum beat being played OUTSIDE the stadium, 2nd half, I heard at the Holy Cross game? Very efffective but why were they in a parking lot?

That was our drumline outside warming up for halftime. It wasn't meant to have any particular impact on the game, but since they practice right outside the endzone, it does help a little.

On the subject of student tickets, there was a bus trip that opened first to Maroon Platoon (UMass' student spirit group) first, but that only had 50 seats. $20 for a bus trip, game ticket, and lunch against BC went fast!

As much as I hate that we [the band] aren't going to be at the game, what sucks even more is that we'll probably be on a bus or in a rehearsal, as we're performing in New Jersey that night. I'm going to do my best to find SOME way to watch, listen to, or at least follow the game.

hvsader
September 25th, 2007, 02:09 PM
That was our drumline outside warming up for halftime. It wasn't meant to have any particular impact on the game, but since they practice right outside the endzone, it does help a little.

Well, not exactly...they were playing (drumming) during the 2nd half in a parking lot while most of the band was in the stands. And it sure sounded like it was being piped into the stadium. Again, very effective

Peems
September 25th, 2007, 02:59 PM
Yes it does, and the statement says they would give them a game. Wstn Carolina hung in with Florida last year for a half, and Wstn Carolina was not a top 25 FCS squad last year. xeekx xpeacex xthumbsupx

Well, if their goal was to hang in for a half, I'm sure they were proud. But cmon, I would bet anything that a top 5 FCS team could not beat a legit top 5 FBS team. I.E. UNI would get killed by LSU and the Griz would get killed by USC

EmeryZach
September 25th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Well, not exactly...they were playing (drumming) during the 2nd half in a parking lot while most of the band was in the stands. And it sure sounded like it was being piped into the stadium. Again, very effective

It's some sort of tradition the drum line has. They play for like 25 diehard band fans who tailgate right outside the stadium the whole game and never go in. I don't understand it myself, i think they'd be better off playing in the stadium, but it's their tradition so I don't want to say anything bad about it. And trust me it's not being pumped into the stadium, they are just that loud. I live over a mile from the school and I can hear them practicing all the time during the week.

bkrownd
September 25th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Amherst would be burning.

Nah, just Southwest.

KAUMASS
September 25th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Well, if their goal was to hang in for a half, I'm sure they were proud. But cmon, I would bet anything that a top 5 FCS team could not beat a legit top 5 FBS team. I.E. UNI would get killed by LSU and the Griz would get killed by USC

Your point is taken....and....
I could be a smart-ass and say that it already happened this year. But, App. St hung in against LSU a few years back as well when they LSU were ranked high. USC never plays a FCS, so we will never know. On paper, I agree with you that a top 5 FBS school should win every game against a top 5 FCS squad, but the games have to be played out on the field and you never know. I did not give Rhode Island a chance in hell of beating Army 2 weeks ago, as URI is a traditional bottom feeder in the CAA, but they missed a 30 yd field got with 25 seconds left in the game and went to ot and lost in ot. Go figure. Army by no means is anywhere near a top 5 or even a top 25 fbs team, but Army hung in against BC last week, who is ranked 10th in FBS. AGS. I'd like to see Montana play USC though. The majority of ags'rs thought Michigan was going to slaughter App. State by 40 points earlier in the year.

Minuteman87
September 25th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Good story in the Boston Herald about how Liam Coen's grandfather was a captain at BC in the 1950s, and how Liam attended BC games and camps growing up and almost ended up an Eagle. Liam's easy to root for because he's a nice level-headed kid who says all the right things. The Boston Globe had a story last season about the Coen family that I swear would have made you cry.

Anyway, here's the link to today's article...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view.bg?articleid=1033908

Cobblestone
September 26th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Good story in the Boston Herald about how Liam Coen's grandfather was a captain at BC in the 1950s, and how Liam attended BC games and camps growing up and almost ended up an Eagle. Liam's easy to root for because he's a nice level-headed kid who says all the right things. The Boston Globe had a story last season about the Coen family that I swear would have made you cry.
Anyway, here's the link to today's article...

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/college/football/view.bg?articleid=1033908

I remember that story. It spoke about what happened to his mother and I had a tough time reading it with a dry eye. I met his father once, he was a guest speaker at a Pop Warner Coaches Clinic. The kid comes from a great family.

EmeryZach
September 26th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Nah, just Southwest.

Very true. UMass administrators put out a huge ad in yesterday's Daily Collegian warning students not to riot this fall. I think every kid who riots should be kicked out for good, not just suspended for a semester.

EmeryZach
September 28th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Off to the game in the morning. Go UMASS!