PDA

View Full Version : If App had lost to Michigan but beat Wofford

ncguitarplyr
September 23rd, 2007, 08:30 AM
would App still be ranked #1?

imo yeah probably...last year we lost to freakin nc state but won our FCS games and were still #1

I'm not trying to whine about it (we should have taken care of business at wofford but we didn't) I'm merely pointing out inconcsistencies in the polling logic

which brings me to my next point: thank god we have a playoff system and polls don't matter anyway

appfan2008
September 23rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
Yes we would be number one if we had lost to michigan and beat wofford but who cares... it didnt happen... we are still in the hunt for what matters... a socon title (hard to do, need to win out and need help from wofford) and also very much alive in the national title race so dropping to somewhere between 4 and 8 doesnt bother me one bit... it may have helped us to lose a game

ncman071
September 23rd, 2007, 09:02 AM
Yes we would be number one if we had lost to michigan and beat wofford but who cares... it didnt happen... we are still in the hunt for what matters... a socon title (hard to do, need to win out and need help from wofford) and also very much alive in the national title race so dropping to somewhere between 4 and 8 doesnt bother me one bit... it may have helped us to lose a game

ok it never "helps to lose a game". however, we can get some positives from this. one of which is we are not invincible. our young D line can learn from it and lets just pray that Edwards can heal and be back soon. its a good thing that we play Elon and Gardner Webb next because Trey will probably be ok in those games. We need Armanti once we get back to the Furman, Georgia Southern, and Citadel. Trey is a good quarterback but we really need Armanti's speed for this particular offense to be as dominant and effective as its been in the last year.

Gil Dobie
September 23rd, 2007, 09:05 AM
App St might still be number, but the vote would probably be split IMO.

EmeryZach
September 23rd, 2007, 09:19 AM
yeah they would still be number one. UMass will bump up a spot this week and then lose to Boston College on Saturday, but they probably won't drop a spot because of that.

appfan2008
September 23rd, 2007, 09:23 AM
ok it never "helps to lose a game". however, we can get some positives from this. one of which is we are not invincible. our young D line can learn from it and lets just pray that Edwards can heal and be back soon. its a good thing that we play Elon and Gardner Webb next because Trey will probably be ok in those games. We need Armanti once we get back to the Furman, Georgia Southern, and Citadel. Trey is a good quarterback but we really need Armanti's speed for this particular offense to be as dominant and effective as its been in the last year.

Im a little worried we wont see armanti the rest of the year... or at least not till say the playoffs... coach held him out 2 weeks and he still goes down... i dont think he will be back for awhile

Gil Dobie
September 23rd, 2007, 09:24 AM
yeah they would still be number one. UMass will bump up a spot this week and then lose to Boston College on Saturday, but they probably won't drop a spot because of that.

Beat BC and see what happens. xthumbsupx

appfan2008
September 23rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
they would be unanimous #1 IMO

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2007, 09:35 AM
I'd be mildly worried as an App fan with as good as some of those top 10 teams are, it might be that ASU will have to hit the road in the playoffs, something they haven't really had to do in a loooong time.

ucdtim17
September 23rd, 2007, 10:08 AM
People vote as if all I-A wins are flukes. They don't take it fully into account. It's dumb

siugrad99
September 23rd, 2007, 10:12 AM
Sorry to Burst the Appy State Bubble, but the best team in the nation has been North Dakota State all season long. Appy State did the unthinkable and beat Michigan, but I believe if NDSU played Appy State they would win by multiple touchdowns. I don't remember if NDSU is eligible for the playoffs this season, but if they are I would not be surprised if they entered the toughtest conference in the FCS as reigning National Champs.

pantherfan
September 23rd, 2007, 10:16 AM

App. State NEEDS Edwards healthy. Without him, ASU drops from a unanimous #1 to a top 5-8 team IMO. Elder, from the few times I've seen him, is "slightly above average", which isn't going to cut it down the stretch.

PaladinFan
September 23rd, 2007, 10:20 AM
Sorry to Burst the Appy State Bubble, but the best team in the nation has been North Dakota State all season long. Appy State did the unthinkable and beat Michigan, but I believe if NDSU played Appy State they would win by multiple touchdowns. I don't remember if NDSU is eligible for the playoffs this season, but if they are I would not be surprised if they entered the toughtest conference in the FCS as reigning National Champs.

Maybe they can be like every other Gateway team and be really really good until they lose to the Southern Conference in the playoffs.

Saint3333
September 23rd, 2007, 10:33 AM

All season long? This definitely sounds like someone that doesn't know if they are or not eligible. So on August 8th after NDSU beat SFA (who lost to a D2 school on Sept. 1) by 9 and ASU had beaten Michigan, NDSU was the better team? I guess we have to hear this again all season, I applaud the NDSU fans though as it seems only uninformed Gateway fans have brought this up so far this season. NDSU is not eligible right or wrong, it is the rules and they will once again not have the opportunity to prove if they are the best on the field. I look forward to them becoming eligible in 2008.

BTW UNI is the best team to date IMO. If ASU doesn't make the championship game, I'll be pulling for UNI and McNeese to make the NC game (2 programs I've always respected that haven't won the big one).

brownbear
September 23rd, 2007, 10:41 AM
People vote as if all I-A wins are flukes. They don't take it fully into account. It's dumb

Especially now that Michigan beat Penn State

slostang
September 23rd, 2007, 10:46 AM
would App still be ranked #1?

imo yeah probably...last year we lost to freakin nc state but won our FCS games and were still #1

I'm not trying to whine about it (we should have taken care of business at wofford but we didn't) I'm merely pointing out inconcsistencies in the polling logic

which brings me to my next point: thank god we have a playoff system and polls don't matter anyway

If my aunt had balls see would be my uncle.

siugrad99
September 23rd, 2007, 02:53 PM
Hmm so I don't remember when NDSU is playoff eligible, so that makes me an uneducated fan. LOL Please, that statement is more ignornant then my openly admitting I didn't remember when they were playoff eligible. You can't argue with what Appy State has done and I am not saying that they are a bad team by any means, but just to let all you SoCon fans know that it is Ok for more than 1 team to be good. Get over yourselves.

TheValleyRaider
September 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
NDSU is eligible for the playoffs starting next year.

As for the best team all season? No. They pounded a mid-level FBS side in CMU, true, but also beat as mentioned SFA (they of a D-II loss) and barely escaped Sam Houston at home (although I do think highly of the Kats).

UNI and Montana have been the most impressive this season, for me. Either one of them would be a legitimate #1. Of course, if you had UMass or someone else at #2 before this, power to you in putting them in that #1 spot. It wouldn't be undeserved at the end of September, certainly.

DuckDuckGriz
September 23rd, 2007, 03:01 PM
Hmm so I don't remember when NDSU is playoff eligible, so that makes me an uneducated fan. LOL Please, that statement is more ignornant then my openly admitting I didn't remember when they were playoff eligible. You can't argue with what Appy State has done and I am not saying that they are a bad team by any means, but just to let all you SoCon fans know that it is Ok for more than 1 team to be good. Get over yourselves.

I don't think any SoCon fans were saying that. You kind of came into nowhere with a discussion that had to do primarily with App State and started tooting the Bison horn. If people don't bow down to you don't have a cow.

I think App would be #1 if they had lost to Michigan and beat Wofford, but it's just the way the poll works out. Unless the Mountaineers drop a couple more games, they are still the team to beat this season.

HiHiYikas
September 23rd, 2007, 03:17 PM
Last year ASU dropped in the polls after the NC State Loss, then moved back to #1 after a UNH loss. As a matter of fact, they were up 14-0 against Wofford when the UNH game went final, and darn near blew the #1 spot before the polls opened.

Every system has flaws. ASU just happens to be on the short end of this one. The good news is that this minor "flaw" won't keep the Mountaineers from winning another National Championship on the field.

Now the type of game they played yesterday will certainly throw a wrench in things...