PDA

View Full Version : SLC Predictions - Week Five

TexasTerror
September 23rd, 2007, 07:36 AM
TT's Predictions
OOC Record: 17-9
SLC Record: 1-0
Overall: 18-9

SFA @ South Dakota St - Jackrabbits put it to Bobcats this past weekend. I do not expect much different here - SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Northwestern St @ Texas Tech - Tech has put up huge points in recent memory against FCS foes. Demons Purple Swarm is in over their heads - TEXAS TECH

South Dakota @ McNeese St - Pokes have no problem beating the Div II South Dakota Coyotes. I believe McN returns this visit when they move up to Div I. Good deal - McNEESE STATE

Sam Houston St @ Oklahoma St - Trying to avoid talk of a shootout here. It's likely, I know especially if the offense can move the ball as they did against North Dakota State. Unfortunately, must go against the Kats - OKLAHOMA STATE

Conference season begins next week!

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
Agree with all your picks. Before yesterday I thought Sam Houston might have some realistic chance...odds against it but not TOO bad...of upsetting Oklahoma State because the Cowboys looked SO bad against Troy. But now it looks really, really unlikely if they're going to play offense like they did yesterday.

They do appear to be pretty vulnerable on defense, though, by BCS league standards. Texas Tech put up 719 yards on them. I know Texas Tech is prolific on offense but the Red Raiders were averaging "only" 569 yards per game before yesterday even though their three opponents were hardly defensive powerhouses (SMU, UTEP, and Rice). Troy got almost as many yards against them (562) as it got against ULL (569) last night.

They did pretty good job against Georgia's offense and smothered Florida Atlantic but they've really gotten ripped by the two spread-shotgun pass offenses they've played over the past two weeks.

appfan2008
September 23rd, 2007, 08:27 AM
I would say sam houston has got a shot

slycat
September 23rd, 2007, 10:16 AM
sfa @ sdsu - the jacks showed up yesterday and showed they are better then a 0-3 team. sfas played good against top 25 teams this year but i think they will lose in brookings.

Northwestern St @ Texas Tech - tech will just rain points all over nwst

South Dakota @ McNeese St - the cowboys continue to roll

Sam Houston St @ Oklahoma St - osu showed they were better offensivly then they were against troy but they still gave up points (though tech always scores a lot). shsu doesnt have the defense to stop osu. if their offense shows up like it did at ndsu then we might have a shootout.

Dallas Demon
September 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM
This will be a very easy week picking.

SFA at SDSU - SFA is better than what they've shown, but SDSU is tough at home.
Northwestern St. at Texas Tech - Tech will try to run up the score regardless of the situation
South Dakota at McNeese St. - Cowboys will romp over Division II opponent
SHSU at Oklahoma St. - This won't be close, OK St. by at least 3 TDs

NSUDemon98
September 23rd, 2007, 11:34 AM
TT's Predictions

SFA @ South Dakota St - Jackrabbits put it to Bobcats this past weekend. I do not expect much different here - SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Northwestern St @ Texas Tech - Tech has put up huge points in recent memory against FCS foes. Demons Purple Swarm is in over their heads - TEXAS TECH

South Dakota @ McNeese St - Pokes have no problem beating the Div II South Dakota Coyotes. I believe McN returns this visit when they move up to Div I. Good deal - McNEESE STATE

Sam Houston St @ Oklahoma St - Trying to avoid talk of a shootout here. It's likely, I know especially if the offense can move the ball as they did against North Dakota State. Unfortunately, must go against the Kats - OKLAHOMA STATE

SFA @ SDSU - Repeat of what they did to TxSt.
NSU @ TTU - TTU by 4 TDs...hopefully we can keep our penalties under 10
USD @ McNeese St.
SHSU @ OSU - Sorry, SHSU can score points but so will any team they play b/c of their lack of defense.

Freightliner
September 23rd, 2007, 12:47 PM
Stephen F. Austin @ South Dakota State - The battle of "The Jacks" - SDSU will win out over a demoralized SFA. Looks like the Blue and Gold are up to their old tricks again of losing their first three then winning their next eight.

Northwestern St @ Texas Tech - Sorry Demons, but warm up the bus at the end of the 1st half....this one is gonna be ugly....especially after what Leach said to his team after his loss at Ok. State...look for Tech WR Michael Crabtree to have an INSANE game, and this guy is only a Redshirt Freshman!

South Dakota @ McNeese St - The Pokes are on a roll...nuff said..

Sam Houston St @ Oklahoma St - This one is interesting...The Kats have had an extra week off to prepare for the Cowboys, and OSU is coming off a thrilling win over Texas Tech. I see OSU having a slight letdown to Bomar and the Kats...but in the end Cowboys will come out on top.

Off This Week
Southeastern LA - rest up from a tough OOC and get ready for SFA.
Texas State - Don't get me wrong, I love my Alma Mater, but you guys are KILLIN my picks! Get your heads screwed on straight and get ready for McNeese!!
Central Arkansas - Time to get some extra work in - Bomar and the Kats await.
Nicholls St. - Time to work out some problems on why you guys let a NAIA school (Azusa Pacific) hang around Saturday and get ready for Northwestern State.

xrulesx Freightliner's Record xrulesx
OOC: 19-7
Conf: 1-0
Overall: 20-7

patssle
September 23rd, 2007, 01:16 PM
Seems everybody is picking the same way. I agree...but hopefully we can get some upsets..perferably by the Kats ;)

blackfordpu
September 23rd, 2007, 01:20 PM
SFA @ South Dakota St - SFA hasn't shown that they are a winner.

Northwestern St @ Texas Tech - The air raid continues for Tech.

South Dakota @ McNeese St - Stat sheet says McNeese but the SLC has had bad luck against D-II opponents this year.

Sam Houston St @ Oklahoma St - I want to be a homer and hope the Kats prove me wrong but have to go with the team with the most scholarships.

BEAR
September 23rd, 2007, 01:34 PM
I agree with all those picks. But there is one thing I am sure of....UCA will beat Idle U. Idle U will not win by a last second field goa or TD...It's just not gonna happen....xmadx xmadx xmadx xrolleyesx .....well, anything is possible....xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xlolx

McDABest
September 23rd, 2007, 01:49 PM
I agree with everything

South Dakota @ McNeese State.................obvious
Northwestern @ Texas Tech.......................obvious again
Sam Houston State @ Oklahoma State.......bigger school
Stephen F. Austin @ South Dakota State...better team wins

xcoffeexI'm new to picks so I don't have a record.xcoffeex
(Does 0-0 count?)

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2007, 05:04 PM
One thing I'll say about OSU is that the Cowboys should be 1-3 right now instead of 2-2. Texas Tech's Crabtree dropped the winning TD pass at the end of the game. But OSU did move the ball up and down the field very well all day. I was flipping back and forth between games and watching some of it. Not quite as well as Texas Tech, but very well.

katstrapper
September 23rd, 2007, 06:47 PM
It has been the year of the upset so far and you never know which OSU team will show. One thing is sure, the Kats are due for an upset of a FBS team like OSU. Hopefully the defense will find its way and the offense will keep drinking the octane!!!xnodx

TxState_GO_CATS!
September 23rd, 2007, 07:47 PM
South Dakota @ McNeese State
McNeese avoids the upset and heads into conference play undefeated.

Northwestern St @ Texas Tech
NW St. moves the ball against the Raiders, but the Purple Swarm can't figure out the pass-till-we-score-70 offense.

Sam Houston State @ Oklahoma State
Someone's gotta pick them. I'll be the Southland homer here--go get em kats. Surprisingly defensive game leaves Stillwater stunned as OK St. become FCS's newest victim.

Stephen F. Austin @ South Dakota State
So...SDSU is pretty good...

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
I looked some at South Dakota today and I think that the Coyotes beating McNeese may be an upset...but it'd be a mild one. What we have here is a possible playoff caliber D-II playing a possible playoff caliber FCS. Playoff caliber D-IIs beat playoff caliber I-AA/FCS teams all the time. I personally think South Dakota might be the best team McNeese has played this season. I say "team" because people I respect say Portland State and Louisiana Lafayette have more talent. But this looks to be a very solid D-II team that'll be in or close to the D-II top 10 when the next D-II poll comes out. McNeese had better not look at this as an "inferior" opponent based on the classification level.

I think South Dakota is a whole lot better than the Angelo State team that gave Sam Houston a close call and also better to some extent than the Tarleton State team that beat SFA. McNeese better be ready to play.

Dallas Demon
September 24th, 2007, 01:26 AM
I looked some at South Dakota today and I think that the Coyotes beating McNeese may be an upset...but it'd be a mild one. What we have here is a possible playoff caliber D-II playing a possible playoff caliber FCS. Playoff caliber D-IIs beat playoff caliber I-AA/FCS teams all the time. I personally think South Dakota might be the best team McNeese has played this season. I say "team" because people I respect say Portland State and Louisiana Lafayette have more talent. But this looks to be a very solid D-II team that'll be in or close to the D-II top 10 when the next D-II poll comes out. McNeese had better not look at this as an "inferior" opponent based on the classification level.

I think South Dakota is a whole lot better than the Angelo State team that gave Sam Houston a close call and also better to some extent than the Tarleton State team that beat SFA. McNeese better be ready to play.

xsmhx Nice try, but nobody's buying it...

Demon Fan
September 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I will just be so glad when this week is over! The NSU Demons played poorly (no offense intended Husky fans) and received a well-deserved loss. Then last Saturday was a boring idle date. This Saturday I expect them to have there heads (and maybe other parts of their anatomies) handed to them by Texas Tech. I mean it will be an absolute pleasure when we finally get to play games that again mean something, even thought the first one is against a very good Nicholls State team at their place, and they have had two weeks to rest and get ready to play us!xbangx

patssle
September 24th, 2007, 05:17 PM
I mean it will be an absolute pleasure when we finally get to play games that again mean something

I'm with you on that. SHSU's first 5 weeks of football contains only 1 really meaningful game...NDSU...unless we pull an upset on OSU. I can't wait for conference season. The real season begins...

JohnStOnge
September 24th, 2007, 06:44 PM
xsmhx Nice try, but nobody's buying it...

I'm not sandbagging. I've referenced Division II playoff participant Valdosta State beating I-AA semifinalist Florida Atlantic by 45-17 a number of times. Last year there were two games between D-II playoff teams and FCS playoff teams. James Madison beat Bloomsburgh 14-3 and Chadron State beat Montana State 35-24.

Last year South Dakota State lost to Central Arkansas 24-0 but the Coyotes turned the ball over 5 times to UCA's 0 and also had a punt block returned for a TD. They had turnovers on their first three possessions, including driving to the UCA five for first and goal on their first possession then throwing an interception that was returned for 86 yards.

I don't think this is any "cupcake" week for McNeese.

JackTwice
September 24th, 2007, 08:40 PM
Actually South Dakota State hammered Central Arkansas in Brookings.

South Dakota got beat by Central Arkansas

Dallas Demon
September 24th, 2007, 09:27 PM
I'm not sandbagging. I've referenced Division II playoff participant Valdosta State beating I-AA semifinalist Florida Atlantic by 45-17 a number of times. Last year there were two games between D-II playoff teams and FCS playoff teams. James Madison beat Bloomsburgh 14-3 and Chadron State beat Montana State 35-24.

Last year South Dakota State lost to Central Arkansas 24-0 but the Coyotes turned the ball over 5 times to UCA's 0 and also had a punt block returned for a TD. They had turnovers on their first three possessions, including driving to the UCA five for first and goal on their first possession then throwing an interception that was returned for 86 yards.

I just don't think USD has any chance against a hot McNeese team playing in the hole at this time of the year. The worst thing that can happen to McNeese is getting out of sync going into conference play the next week.

McNeese75
September 24th, 2007, 11:55 PM

John, if you lived in the LC area and could attend some of the booster meetings and hear the coaches (especially Matt Viator) speak you might view things in a different light. This coaching staff is very disciplined and views every game as a big game. They will prepare for this game just as they have for the first three and every conference game to come. The coaches are very aware of the offensive firepower USD has displayed so far and will scheme the game plan accordingly. (Cowboys team speed is going to really bring havoc on the Yotes) xnodx

GeauxLions94
September 25th, 2007, 06:25 PM
SFA @ South Dakota St - Our new AD (Joel Erdmann) is a SDSU grad and SFA is our next opponent ... go with the home team ... SOUTH DAKOTA STATE

Northwestern St @ Texas Tech - let's hope Demons can keep it respectable after Red Raiders' recent routs of SLC teams (SHSU, SLU) ... TEXAS TECH

South Dakota @ McNeese St - too much Cowboys ... McNEESE STATE

Sam Houston St @ Oklahoma St - Team Bomar had a shot to keep it close until Gundy's outburst ... OKLAHOMA STATE

JohnStOnge
September 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM
John, if you lived in the LC area and could attend some of the booster meetings and hear the coaches (especially Matt Viator) speak you might view things in a different light. This coaching staff is very disciplined and views every game as a big game. They will prepare for this game just as they have for the first three and every conference game to come. The coaches are very aware of the offensive firepower USD has displayed so far and will scheme the game plan accordingly. (Cowboys team speed is going to really bring havoc on the Yotes) xnodx

I hope you're right. All I know is that history suggests that top D-II teams can give top I-AA/FCS teams plenty of problems. By my count, for instance, there have been 7 games over the most recent five seasons (2002-2006) between teams that went on to make the D-II playoffs and teams that went on to make the FCS/I-AA playoffs and the D-II playoff teams were 4-3 in those games.

Tell ya' something else: McNeese had a whole lot more speed last year than South Dakota State did and that didn't stop the Jacks from winning. I know it's a different coaching staff and all but I really don't know if this is a "gimme" at all.

I'll be thrilled if McNeese blows USD out but I'm not assuming that's going to happen. This isn't like playing Arkansas Monticello.

McNeese75
September 25th, 2007, 09:21 PM
Tell ya' something else: McNeese had a whole lot more speed last year than South Dakota State did and that didn't stop the Jacks from winning. I know it's a different coaching staff and all but I really don't know if this is a "gimme" at all.

I'll be thrilled if McNeese blows USD out but I'm not assuming that's going to happen. This isn't like playing Arkansas Monticello.

I never said it was a gimme game, I just said this coaching staff "sets the mechanism" every Monday. last week I listened to Coach Viator talk about studying SUU game film over the summer. Not last week, but months ago and I have to believe he has done the same for all the 2007 scheduled opponents. Also, there is a world of difference between this Cowboy team and the team that lost to the Rabbits last year.

Anyway, we shall see Saturday night.

McNeese72
September 25th, 2007, 10:04 PM
I never said it was a gimme game, I just said this coaching staff "sets the mechanism" every Monday. last week I listened to Coach Viator talk about studying SUU game film over the summer. Not last week, but months ago and I have to believe he has done the same for all the 2007 scheduled opponents. Also, there is a world of difference between this Cowboy team and the team that lost to the Rabbits last year.

Anyway, we shall see Saturday night.

We are definitely better on defense than we were last season.

And on offense, you can tell Derrick is a redshirt sophomore this season and not a redshirt freshmen playing his first games as a college QB like last season. Just look at his passing efficiency rating. He is leading the SLC and is 9th in the nation.

Doc

FormerPokeCenter
September 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Derek's poise and presence in the pocket is exponentiallly better this year than last year....

His "field presence" is as good as any Cowboy QB I've ever seen.....He may not have the physical tools of a Kerry Joseph or a Stephen Starring, but he's got the intangibles you want in a QB and then some....

Last year, you could see him get happy feet and you could tell he was a little skittish. He did well last year, but you could see that he wasn't entirely comfortable in the pocket.

This year, he's not only comfortable in the pocket, he owns it. He makes people miss him with apparently little to no effort and still gets the throw off...

It's hard to put my finger on what it is, exactly. Confidence, Leadership, Maturing or something, but he's definitely a much better QB this year than last.....

SeattleGriz
September 26th, 2007, 01:23 AM
TT's Predictions

I might have thought SHSU would have a chance until I saw that coach go nuts on TV. I think he, and the team will be pissed and fired up for the game. What a bummer someone poked the hornets nest right before you play them.

TexasTerror
September 28th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Last chance to get your predictions in before the week of gridiron action begins! :)

Lionsrking
September 28th, 2007, 09:46 PM
South Dakota State over SFA by 12
McNeese over South Dakota by 14
Texas Tech over NW State by 50
Oklahoma State over Sam Houston by 24

blackfordpu
September 28th, 2007, 09:52 PM
South Dakota State over SFA by 12
McNeese over South Dakota by 14
Texas Tech over NW State by 50
Oklahoma State over Sam Houston by 24

No love for your SLC brothers?

Retro
September 28th, 2007, 11:14 PM
I hope you're right. All I know is that history suggests that top D-II teams can give top I-AA/FCS teams plenty of problems. By my count, for instance, there have been 7 games over the most recent five seasons (2002-2006) between teams that went on to make the D-II playoffs and teams that went on to make the FCS/I-AA playoffs and the D-II playoff teams were 4-3 in those games.

John, Mcneese's history againest lower division teams is a lot different than the rest of the conference.. That's why we have 11 conference titles..

Don't go by anything that happened under Tate last year... SDSU came from behind and beat us, but had Tate not been hungover, maybe the team and the staff would've been better prepared..

Don't forget about the black cat that ran across the field too.. Everything changed after that!

PREDICTIONS:

NWST at TEXAS TECH: A few years ago the NWST defense could've given tech a run for their money, even with their high powered offense.. The big 12 is one of the weaker overall conferences as of late, but Stoker doesn't seem to have the demons moving in the right direction as of late.. Tech by 35.

SFA at SOUTH DAKOTA STATE: Rabbits are better than record and SFA is worse than theirs.. SDSU by 21

SAM HOUSTON STATE at OKLAHOMA STATE: SHS definitely has the firepower to hang with the weak OSU defense, but after Gundy's lecture this week, i see his team playing inspired football and may want to make a statement.. I'm sure they are all aware of Bomar being formerly of Oklahoma and would love to shut him down.. If the Kats can make points out of a few turnovers and not get behind early, they have a chance.. Realistically, i have to ok with OSU by 21

SOUTH DAKOTA at McNEESE: Sure USD is #16 or whatever in D-2, but just like in the FCS, the top teams can compete with the middle and lower tier usually for 3 qtrs.. Mcneese's is a top tier team at this point and should roll easy unless the make a LOT of mistakes early and give USD chances.. That being said, Viator will have them focused. Pokes by 28.

TexasTerror
September 29th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Perfect week...

TT's Predictions
OOC Record: 21-9
Overall: 22-9

blackfordpu
September 29th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Perfect week...

TT's Predictions
OOC Record: 21-9