PDA

View Full Version : Question for Southern Utah Fans

FCS Go!
September 22nd, 2007, 11:51 PM
Any Southern Utah fans out there who have seen all the T-Birds' games so far?

What are your impressions of your opponents and how would you compare them?

BisonBacker
September 23rd, 2007, 06:41 AM
Good Luck getting an anwser, SUU Fans are a rare bird known to occassionally frequent SUU games if the weather is good.

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2007, 06:56 AM
No idea of what happened in the other games but I think the stats in last night's game against McNeese are deceptive. Southern Utah had 54 total yards at halftime to McNeese's 252. McNeese got to a 34 - 0 lead in the third quarter and started playing a whole lot of people. The score was 41-7 then Southern Utah got a couple of "window dressing" TDs in the final five minutes. Also, McNeese really had problems with penalties. 18 for 182 yards. The guys making the radio call, admittedly biased of course, felt that the Cowboys were getting called on personal fouls when all they were doing was making good, aggressive plays. It kind of started when Bryan Smith slammed the T Birds' starting quarterback down head first during a sack so that he had to be taken off on a backboard (turned out to be a sprained neck, I think, and he'll be OK though sore for a while). Announcers said that it wasn't an intentional thing by Smith but after incident McNeese started getting called for personal fouls on plays the announcers really questioned. Later they wondered if the personal fouls they got called for had an impact on their aggressiveness on defense.

Dallas Demon
September 23rd, 2007, 11:32 AM
No idea of what happened in the other games but I think the stats in last night's game against McNeese are deceptive. Southern Utah had 54 total yards at halftime to McNeese's 252. McNeese got to a 34 - 0 lead in the third quarter and started playing a whole lot of people. The score was 41-7 then Southern Utah got a couple of "window dressing" TDs in the final five minutes. Also, McNeese really had problems with penalties. 18 for 182 yards. The guys making the radio call, admittedly biased of course, felt that the Cowboys were getting called on personal fouls when all they were doing was making good, aggressive plays. It kind of started when Bryan Smith slammed the T Birds' starting quarterback down head first during a sack so that he had to be taken off on a backboard (turned out to be a sprained neck, I think, and he'll be OK though sore for a while). Announcers said that it wasn't an intentional thing by Smith but after incident McNeese started getting called for personal fouls on plays the announcers really questioned. Later they wondered if the personal fouls they got called for had an impact on their aggressiveness on defense.

Congratulations, 18 penalties beat our 17 against Northeastern.

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2007, 12:38 PM
Congratulations, 18 penalties beat our 17 against Northeastern.

Yeah...and McNeese beat y'all on the penalty yardage by quite a bit (182 to 110). Notice that the McNeese's penalties cost them more than 10 yards on average? That tells you most of them were "majors."

X-Factor
September 23rd, 2007, 01:50 PM
looks like the long grass and biased penalties still couldn't keep this game competitive. SUU is really in a BAD slump. I think these guys should have yearly matchups with Indiana State and Savanah State to see who really takes the cake as the worst in FCS.

appfan2008
September 23rd, 2007, 02:25 PM
bad slump? or incredible schedule?

and include northern colorado with suu and isu and ssu and have a four team playoff to see who is the worst

bisonguy
September 23rd, 2007, 04:12 PM
bad slump? or incredible schedule?

and include northern colorado with suu and isu and ssu and have a four team playoff to see who is the worst

Incredible schedule. If SUU wanted some wins, they could have scheduled a PFL or SWAC team.

McNeese_beat
September 24th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Incredible schedule. If SUU wanted some wins, they could have scheduled a PFL or SWAC team.

I don't understand their schedule. McNeese and SIU don't draw a bigger crowd than a Drake would. And a game with Dixie State would probably be a pretty big draw.

Why load up with teams that are superior, but aren't big draws?