PDA

View Full Version : Missouri State beats Central Arkansas

MSUBear42
September 22nd, 2007, 10:06 PM
Haven't seen this out there, but this was one of the best games I have ever seen!
http://www.youtube.com/v/qzXhC-GKoaY

Missouri State rallies past Central Arkansas 42-38 with TD in final 30 seconds

Pam Clark
The News-Leader

Freshman quarterback Cody Kirby, making his first collegiate start, scored on a 2-yard option keeper with 21.7 seconds remaining Saturday night to rally Missouri State to a 42-38 victory over Central Arkansas before 12,084 at Plaster Field.

Kirby, who played the entire game against his home-state school, rushed for three touchdowns and passed for two, and also showed tremendous poise under pressure in the pocket.

His final TD capped a five-play, 39-yard drive and came after UCA had stunned the home crowd with a 30-yard TD pass from Nathan Brown to Cedric Logan with 1:20 remaining, capping a 90-yard march that gave UCA a 38-35 lead.

In a back-and-forth final three minutes, Kirby and fellow freshman Kingjack Washington had spearheaded an 80-yard scoring drive that led to a 4-yard TD run by Gerald Davis that gave MSU (3-1) a 35-31 lead with 3:11 to play.

Washington carried four times for 63 yards in the eight-play march and he finished with 82 yards on 14 carries. Davis led the ground game with 121 yards on 16 attempts.

Kirby completed 22 of 38 passes for 247 yards, with one interception. He rushed for 40 yards on nine carries.

Brown completed 26 of 41 passes for 439 yards and three TDs, with no interceptions.

In a battle of Bears football teams, MSU led 28-21 at halftime after UCA’s Brent Grimes scored on a 1-yard dive with 22 seconds left.

UCA (1-3) put together a stunning 99-yard drive early in the third quarter, scoring on a 66-yard pass from Brown to fleet-footed Willie Landers to forge a 28-all tie.

It was the second long TD pass play of the night for Brown and Landers.

A pair of 1-yard sneaks for second-quarter TDs by Kirby broke a 7-7 tie and gave MSU a 21-7 lead.

Kirby’s second TD plunge capped an eight-play drive that started at the UCA 38-yard line following the visitors’ unsuccessful attempt on fourth-and-2 from their 39. Cornerback Chris Farrar tackled Grimes for a 1-yard loss on a pass play.

UCA drew within 21-14 on Brown’s 53-yard TD pass to Landers with 4:30 left in the half.

UCA had taken a 7-0 lead on a 1-yard run by Ross Brown with 3:48 on the clock. The big play of the drive was a 39-yard pass from Brown to wide-open tight end Marquez Branson. Safety Derek Miller hauled down Branson at the MSU 10.

MSU answered with a crisp 80-yard march of its own to tie the score at 7. The Bears scored on a 5-yard pass from Kirby to Clay Harbor — after Kirby had dropped the ball. Nathan Stokes’ extra-point kick tied the game at the 3:05 mark of the quarter.

http://photos-110.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v124/231/15/34320110/n34320110_33494295_7428.jpg

http://photos-110.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v124/231/15/34320110/n34320110_33494300_9007.jpg

http://photos-110.ll.facebook.com/photos-ll-sctm/v124/231/15/34320110/n34320110_33494305_658.jpg

TexasTerror
September 22nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
There was some discussion on a few threads about this game...what happened to the SHSU/Missouri St game in 2004 being the most exciting?

All things aside, Missouri State looks good this year. Only loss to an FBS. Can they compete in the Gateway? I'm more than willing to vote for the MSU Bears in my AGS poll. We'll see how it shakes down when all the results are looked at...

As noted elsewhere, I share an office with a former MSU Bear who actually coached there...will have to talk this game up with him...

Gil Dobie
September 22nd, 2007, 10:11 PM
Congrats Mo State xthumbsupx

HI54UNI
September 22nd, 2007, 10:51 PM
Congrats to Terry Allen and Missouri State!

BearsCountry
September 22nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
It was Terry Allen's 100 career win tonight as well.

MSUBear42
September 23rd, 2007, 12:22 AM
There was some discussion on a few threads about this game...what happened to the SHSU/Missouri St game in 2004 being the most exciting?

I was at both games and they would both pretty amazing. I guess I would still have to give the nod to the SHSU game though.

BearsCountry
September 23rd, 2007, 12:29 AM
I was at both games and they would both pretty amazing. I guess I would still have to give the nod to the SHSU game though.

Sam Houston State game was better. 4 touchdowns in 2 minutes or something like that was pretty amazing.

JohnStOnge
September 23rd, 2007, 06:38 AM
DRAT! The Southland needed that one. Tough day for the league yesterday after starting the season looking reasonably strong.

douglasdmb
September 23rd, 2007, 08:19 AM
The big difference between this game and the SHSU game for me was the fact that the fans actually stuck around until the end of the game. The ending to the SHSU game may have been better, but there were hardly any fans there to enjoy it when we scored the game-winning TD. It was good to see most of the 12k that were there last night enjoy the win.

Go Bears!

xthumbsupx

Cap'n Cat
September 23rd, 2007, 09:38 AM
People are starting to raise eyebrows over Missouri State! They're back!

xthumbsupx

siugrad99
September 23rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
Still have some of the ugliest uniforms in football. Those helmets are pathetic ;) We will see how good they are when they start playing Gateway teams.

douglasdmb
September 23rd, 2007, 10:24 AM
I agree with you about our helmets, but I like our uniforms. We probably ought to fix the Gateway patch, though.

I also agree that we're still pretty unproven. We're 2-0 against two FCS teams right now, but we've won those games by 11 points combined, and it looks like the UT-Martin win isn't nearly as impressive as it was when it happened. Still, this is a super-young team, and we've already improved on last year's 2-9 team that was filled to the brim with seniors. Even if we won only a game or two the rest of the year, I'll be pretty satisfied.

MSUBear42
September 23rd, 2007, 06:28 PM
I have a feeling we won't be content with just 1 or 2 more wins. We at least have 2 (SEMO and InSU)

ShowMeBear2
September 23rd, 2007, 06:41 PM
I hate semo

ShowMeBear2
September 23rd, 2007, 06:45 PM
Our jerseys our bad ass.

Nyghtewynd
September 23rd, 2007, 09:34 PM
Considering that I thought they'd only win two games this year, I'm not complaining about anything. Props to the Bears, and let's see if they can get a couple more wins.

douglasdmb
September 23rd, 2007, 11:35 PM
Our jerseys our bad ass.

Really?xsmhx

BearsCountry
September 23rd, 2007, 11:56 PM
I hate semo

Honestly I dont think I have ever heard a Bears fan actually say that.

Nyghtewynd
September 24th, 2007, 08:16 AM
No kidding. I can't remember the last time I *thought* about SEMO. They're not even remotely rivals of MSU.

UCABEARS75
September 24th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Congratulations to MSU Bears. It was a very exciting game and we UCA fans were treated very nicely up there making for a great football trip except for the final score.

Our two teams are so much alike it is scary...darn good offenses and almost no defense.

Bad news first, we are probably both in for long seasons as you can not expect to win the majority of your games with horrible defense.

Good news, both teams are very, very young and should really have several good seasons ahead of them.

Both teams have good coaching staffs and if they can follow up the past couple of years' recruiting with another good class we have lots to look forward to in the coming years.

I wish we could play ya'll in the next few years as the games would be exciting, maybe the play-offs in 2010 (the first year we can go).

Best of luck the rest of the year.

panther2317
September 24th, 2007, 09:38 AM
I love the home uniforms...but that helmet logo has got to go! Just use the bear head. The bear head is a great helmet logo. The uniforms say
"Missori State". The helmet needs the bear! Just a personal opinion of course.

JoshUCA
September 24th, 2007, 10:02 AM
Congrats on the win MO State....

MSUBear42
September 24th, 2007, 10:08 AM
Thanks UCA fans, it was great to have a big group of visitors up here.

For MSU fans: http://groups.google.com/group/letsgobears/topics

douglasdmb
September 24th, 2007, 10:28 AM
I wish we could play ya'll in the next few years as the games would be exciting, maybe the play-offs in 2010 (the first year we can go).

Exactly was thinking. xnodx

MSUBear42
September 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
That would be nice... I can't wait for next year and the year after, we're gonna be goooooooooooooooooooood

MSUBear42
September 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Oh forgot, Cody Kirby won GFC Player of the Week this week!

MSULB#47
September 24th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Congratulations to MSU Bears. It was a very exciting game and we UCA fans were treated very nicely up there making for a great football trip except for the final score.

Our two teams are so much alike it is scary...darn good offenses and almost no defense.

Bad news first, we are probably both in for long seasons as you can not expect to win the majority of your games with horrible defense.

Good news, both teams are very, very young and should really have several good seasons ahead of them.

Both teams have good coaching staffs and if they can follow up the past couple of years' recruiting with another good class we have lots to look forward to in the coming years.

Best of luck the rest of the year.

Thanks UCA75..but there was some great offensive execution on both sides of the ball....

The Defenses were NOT at all bad...there were some 'holes on both teams defensive sides and they were exploited to the fullest....

I believe we have some 'coverage' issues, which should be patched up by Saturdays game.....

We look forward to going to Youngstown and kickin some butt......

UCABEARS75
September 25th, 2007, 09:28 AM
Thanks UCA75..but there was some great offensive execution on both sides of the ball....

The Defenses were NOT at all bad...there were some 'holes on both teams defensive sides and they were exploited to the fullest....

I believe we have some 'coverage' issues, which should be patched up by Saturdays game.....

We look forward to going to Youngstown and kickin some butt......

I agree that there was some good defense, just not enough of it LOL.

This will be cured with time as the players get experience and the coaching staffs get to recruit better players; in MSU's case due to new coaching staff (who is off to a great start in building by the way) and in UCA's case as we move to our third year of D-I recruiting (we are also off to a good start in my opinion).

Once again, lots to look forward to by both our fans but being realistic I believe most of the success of these two teams will come in the coming few years.

douglasdmb
September 25th, 2007, 10:54 AM
I agree that there was some good defense, just not enough of it LOL.

This will be cured with time as the players get experience and the coaching staffs get to recruit better players; in MSU's case due to new coaching staff (who is off to a great start in building by the way) and in UCA's case as we move to our third year of D-I recruiting (we are also off to a good start in my opinion).

Once again, lots to look forward to by both our fans but being realistic I believe most of the success of these two teams will come in the coming few years.

I agree. Go Bears(es)! :p

UCABEARS75
September 25th, 2007, 02:07 PM
I agree. Go Bears(es)! :p

Bears(es)! Good one.

CopperCat
September 25th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Having a team that is expected to do nothing that does quite the opposite is always good to see. I hope Missouri St. can keep the steam going through the season. Who knows what might happen.xthumbsupx

MSUBear42
September 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Thanks FTG, we hope so too!

Vids from UCA game:
Game recap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fn-x8CeaXUM
Sorry for the audio, I have no clue what happened.

Band:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZTIVmRyc6Y

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsJCx76mk3k

ShowMeBear2
September 25th, 2007, 10:10 PM
http://www.classic.fhm.com/site/100sexiest2007/05.jpg

UCABEARS75
September 26th, 2007, 08:35 AM

I was at the game, sorry I missed her!!!

douglasdmb
September 26th, 2007, 10:44 AM

I'm not really sure how that relates to anything, but she's purty.

xthumbsupx

UCABEARS75
September 26th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'm not really sure how that relates to anything, but she's purty.

xthumbsupx

Oh it relates to something alright, not football but something.

MSUBear42
September 26th, 2007, 11:17 AM
Agree

BearsCountry
September 26th, 2007, 11:56 AM
Thats one of the uglier girls on our campus. xsmiley_wix

douglasdmb
September 26th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Thats one of the uglier girls on our campus. xsmiley_wix

HA!

Hooray for Missouri State University, where somehow, bikini-model caliber girls are a dime a dozen.

xthumbsupx

MSUBear42
September 26th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Bear fans, the forum is back up. Sorry for any problems.

BEAR
September 26th, 2007, 11:48 PM

......that's not show-me-bare...she's wearing a bikini! Boooooooo! xlolx