PDA

View Full Version : UMass @ UMaine

biobengal
September 22nd, 2007, 01:42 PM
Maine 3 and out.

Maine is starting Farkes, a redshirt freshman. He looks like one so far, almost giving one away.

UMass long run for a TD. Lousy tackling by UMaine. xnonono2x

Col Hogan
September 22nd, 2007, 01:44 PM
Looked like a good run from this angle...

Col Hogan
September 22nd, 2007, 01:45 PM
OMG!!! UMass gets a fumble on first pplay...at the 4

biobengal
September 22nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Nice face mask on Farkes.

SeattleGriz
September 22nd, 2007, 01:47 PM
Wow. Maine has completely shot themselves in the foot so far.

Nothing like spotting UMass 14 points.

Col Hogan
September 22nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
TD UMass...

14 -

FCSFAN
September 22nd, 2007, 01:50 PM
Please post score updates on the Score Thread.

biobengal
September 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Wow, the Maine boys are just not all there today.

blukeys
September 22nd, 2007, 01:58 PM
Maine is making a ton of mistakes. Plus their tackling is suspect today.

Nebuta
September 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
TD run Umass 21-0. 1st Qtr 9:53

blukeys
September 22nd, 2007, 02:01 PM
Maine's defense looks gassed already.

EmeryZach
September 22nd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Oh yeah. The offense is looking good today

EmeryZach
September 22nd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Let's just hope we leave the game with no injuries. I hate astro turf fields.

blukeys
September 22nd, 2007, 02:04 PM
Maine gets a First Down!!!

Col Hogan
September 22nd, 2007, 02:07 PM
Maine offence has decided to play some football...good series of runs...

EmeryZach
September 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
Mass defense still looking iffy. I mean against a team with a good offense, which maine doesnt have.

Col Hogan
September 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
What a way to stop a drive...

biobengal
September 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
FG UMass. For Maine, this is somewhat of a victory.

24 first quarter points for UMass!

mainejeff
September 22nd, 2007, 02:25 PM
Please post score updates on the Score Thread.

Can we talk about the game? xrolleyesx

..........OK, I'm done.

xcoffeex

Col Hogan
September 22nd, 2007, 02:27 PM
Matt Lawrence is making the loss of Baylark a lot less painful...

Col Hogan
September 22nd, 2007, 02:29 PM
Coen intercepted.....Maine ball at the 37

biobengal
September 22nd, 2007, 02:30 PM
Maine interception, Johhny football.

There we go, run the football! No more keepers.

Col Hogan
September 22nd, 2007, 02:31 PM
UMass defense stiffens

Col Hogan
September 22nd, 2007, 02:32 PM
UMass punt pins the Minutemen at the 7

blukeys
September 22nd, 2007, 02:52 PM
Maine misses a gimme field goal!

mainejeff
September 22nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
It should be noted that this is the last year of Jack Cosgrove's contract. It's gonna be interesting if things keep moving in this direction. I honestly think that if Maine has a losing season and they re-sign him to a contract extension......you'll start seeing URI level crowds and interest in the program. xsmhx

biobengal
September 22nd, 2007, 02:56 PM
Maine misses a gimme field goal!

For Maine, there is no gimme field goal. They missed two chip shots last week, one was a game winner vs. Villanova.

mainejeff
September 22nd, 2007, 03:02 PM
For Maine, there is no gimme field goal. They missed two chip shots last week, one was a game winner vs. Villanova.

And this is a new kicker this week.........xsmhx

I honestly think that this program is D-E-A-D under Cosgrove's leadership.

Col Hogan
September 22nd, 2007, 03:25 PM
Matt Lawrence is running wild today...

Three TDs...about 140 yards so far by my calculations...

Sam Adams
September 22nd, 2007, 03:33 PM
UMASS is smacking the Black Bears all over the field. 31-0 3d Q.

The Black Bear O is more pitiful than usual under Cosgrove this season.

EmeryZach
September 22nd, 2007, 03:45 PM
We just need to stay healthy in the 4th quarter. They should take Liam out, now.

EmeryZach
September 22nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
And out come the starters. Thank you.

EmeryZach
September 22nd, 2007, 04:15 PM
Ouch, UMass touchdown with 13 seconds left in the game. 38-7.

Sam Adams
September 22nd, 2007, 04:36 PM
Yep. A can of the proverbial whoop a$$ until Coach Brown called off the dawgs. Massachusetts beat Maine as convincingly as uconn did at home 3 wks ago.

Next week we get a shot to slay goliath when Massachusetts plays BC. Hopefully we can keep it close anyways.

EmeryZach
September 22nd, 2007, 04:43 PM
If Army can keep it within 20 points so can we

Old Cage
September 22nd, 2007, 06:24 PM
As for today: Yawn.

BC better strap it on! xsmiley_wix

ccd494
September 22nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
Fire Cosgrove.

What a joke.

mainejeff
September 22nd, 2007, 07:27 PM
Fire Cosgrove.

What a joke.

xthumbsupx

Umass74
September 22nd, 2007, 07:58 PM
UMass had four penalties for 20 yards. What will everyone have to talk about? xlolx

blukeys
September 22nd, 2007, 08:14 PM
UMass had four penalties for 20 yards. What will everyone have to talk about? xlolx

Maine's tendency for self destruction. Turnovers, penalties, against a solid team.

I have no idea why a Maine team that is really physically talented can look so bad today. Maybe MJ can tell me why Maine is so mentally challenged. But they are. As Maine has some of the best athletes in the CAA with nothing to show.

mainejeff
September 22nd, 2007, 09:17 PM
Maine's tendency for self destruction. Turnovers, penalties, against a solid team.

I have no idea why a Maine team that is really physically talented can look so bad today. Maybe MJ can tell me why Maine is so mentally challenged. But they are. As Maine has some of the best athletes in the CAA with nothing to show.

It starts at the top......that's all that I have to say.

bainsey
September 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
Ouch, UMass touchdown with 13 seconds left in the game. 38-7.

It must be said that has to be the most classless act I've seen in Orono in a long time. When you're up 24 points in the last minute, YOU TAKE A KNEE. Don Brown may be a strong coach, and he's certainly built a strong program, but that final minute speaks volumes about his character.

Having said that, this game also speaks volumes about recruiting. UMass has done a fine job bringing in players that result in a balanced offense. This team can run well, kick well, throw well, and have players that get open. Maine has players that run well, and....

Well, Maine still has a decent O-line, and despite giving up 38 points, the only thing that really burns me about the Maine D is the missed tackles. While the UMass D is certainly strong, I can't say they were really challenged today.

Where UMaine has workhorses, UMass has throroughbreds. The battle for strong players was clearly displayed in the margin of victory today.

Minuteman87
September 22nd, 2007, 10:33 PM
Can't say I agree with that last touchdown, but keep in mind UMass had its backup QB and backup O-line in there, blocking for a guy getting his first carry of the season. It's not like they passed or pulled a trick play. Evans ran between the tackles, nothing fancy, for 5 yards. If Maine can't stop that, well ... maybe it says more about Maine than it does about UMass.

Was Cosgrove PO'ed after the game? Did he say anything? They showed the postgame handshake between the coaches and there didn't seem to be any animosity, but then again, they didn't say much to each other at all.

Karma generally evens these things out.

Maroon&White
September 23rd, 2007, 12:23 AM
It must be said that has to be the most classless act I've seen in Orono in a long time. When you're up 24 points in the last minute, YOU TAKE A KNEE. Don Brown may be a strong coach, and he's certainly built a strong program, but that final minute speaks volumes about his character.

It also says something when the Maine D was gunning for Coen's bad knee the entire game. I guess that is okay though. No need for complaining just because Maine lost.

umassfan
September 23rd, 2007, 12:55 AM

Having said that, this game also speaks volumes about recruiting. UMass has done a fine job bringing in players that result in a balanced offense. This team can run well, kick well, throw well, and have players that get open. Maine has players that run well, and....

Well, Maine still has a decent O-line, and despite giving up 38 points, the only thing that really burns me about the Maine D is the missed tackles. While the UMass D is certainly strong, I can't say they were really challenged today.

Where UMaine has workhorses, UMass has throroughbreds. The battle for strong players was clearly displayed in the margin of victory today.

This is the first time in the Don Brown era that I have not seen him take a knee. If what Maroon and White said is true... I dont blame him for scoring again late in the game.

Umass74
September 23rd, 2007, 05:37 AM
I was there and I did not see any bad sportsmanship by either team. The last score was by the UMass subs. Woodard directed his first ever TD drive and they arrived at the Maine four yard line with 2:18 to go. Brown has taken a knee many times at UMass, but we ran between the tackles on the last drive.

ChickenMan
September 23rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
Backup players put a lot of time and effort on the practice field and they deserve a chance to perform and not just sit on the football. I have no problem with anyone scoring late.. by running between the tackles.. with 2d and 3rd level guys. If UMass scored late.. that's on Maine.. not UMass.

mainejeff
September 23rd, 2007, 10:14 AM
It also says something when the Maine D was gunning for Coen's bad knee the entire game. I guess that is okay though. No need for complaining just because Maine lost.

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

mainejeff
September 23rd, 2007, 10:15 AM
This is the first time in the Don Brown era that I have not seen him take a knee. If what Maroon and White said is true... I dont blame him for scoring again late in the game.

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

mainejeff
September 23rd, 2007, 10:18 AM
Backup players put a lot of time and effort on the practice field and they deserve a chance to perform and not just sit on the football. I have no problem with anyone scoring late.. by running between the tackles.. with 2d and 3rd level guys. If UMass scored late.. that's on Maine.. not UMass.

Agreed. I think that Bainsey needs to worry more about Maine and less about Don Brown.

It burns my *ss that so many Maine fans are giving Cosgrove a free pass after 15 freakin seasons xmadx xmadx xmadx. The guy can't coach himself out of a paper box.

bainsey
September 23rd, 2007, 11:11 AM
Agreed. I think that Bainsey needs to worry more about Maine and less about Don Brown.

I expected some backlash from that comment, but I'm not worried about Don Brown, Jeff. His actions spoke for themselves. But yes, we have enough on our plate in Maine with this team.

If what Maroon and White said is true... I dont blame him for scoring again late in the game.

I'd certainly concur if that's the case, but I don't know how you'd prove that. As for the second-and-third-team comment and how they deserve to score, they have a role to play, based upon how the coaching staff determines it. From what I could see, the coaching staff decided their role was to score in the last minute of a game with a 24-point margin. I would never blame the players for wanting to score, but the coach should have been above that, showed some class, and ordered to take a knee. Unless the players defied such orders to take a knee, this speaks volumes about Don Brown.

I hated it when Jack Cosgrove did the same to Boston University in its final year with a football program, and I hate it when anyone else does it.

Old Cage
September 23rd, 2007, 11:31 AM
"this speaks volumes about Don Brown."

Maybe we started taking a knee before we got off the bus. We have BC next week. Zardas scores a first period touchdown. Zardas! He is a back has not had a carry and we have nine folks with more catches. We played lots of folks the whole game and didn't throw downfield.

Maine guys - look inward, not at our coach.

EmeryZach
September 23rd, 2007, 11:46 AM
I'm just happy Brown was smart enough to take the starters out for the fourth quarter. Those astroturf fields have "torn ACL" written all over them. Scary.

bkrownd
September 23rd, 2007, 05:10 PM
I would never blame the players for wanting to score, but the coach should have been above that, showed some class, and ordered to take a knee. Unless the players defied such orders to take a knee, this speaks volumes about Don Brown.

Then don't play a MAN's game, son! Play all 60 minutes or don't bother to show up! loser attitude. xmadx

Col Hogan
September 23rd, 2007, 06:06 PM
I watched the entire game...

I did not see (1) Maine going for Coens bad knee or (2) any bad sportsmanship on either side...

It was obvious that UMass throttled back the entire second half...no long throws down field. Matt Lawrence ran at will...but even that was cut back in the second half...

I truely expected a lot more out of the Maine defense than I saw...

The last score...second and third stringers...they worked hard...and the Maine defense did not stop them...

I hope MJ is wrong, and Maine can win more than one game...it's a proud program with very talented players...I'll let the Black Bears fans disect the coaching job...

Umass74
September 23rd, 2007, 07:26 PM
I'd certainly concur if that's the case, but I don't know how you'd prove that. As for the second-and-third-team comment and how they deserve to score, they have a role to play, based upon how the coaching staff determines it. From what I could see, the coaching staff decided their role was to score in the last minute of a game with a 24-point margin. I would never blame the players for wanting to score, but the coach should have been above that, showed some class, and ordered to take a knee. Unless the players defied such orders to take a knee, this speaks volumes about Don Brown.

I hated it when Jack Cosgrove did the same to Boston University in its final year with a football program, and I hate it when anyone else does it.

Again, I attended the game. I did not see any bad sportsmanship by either team.

UMass had the subs in including the backup QB who had played one down so far this year.

UMass ended up at the Maine four yard line with 2:18 to go. That's a lot of time. We run out the full 25 seconds for two downs. A backup fullback, not a tailback, scored running between the tackles. For a Black Bear defense that went toe-to-toe with Nebraska, it should not have been a problem.

Nobody on the Maine team or coaching staff mentioned the last TD.

Oh, one more thing, I was reading the Bangor paper this morning and it said that Maine kept their starting TB Jamal Fluellen out of the second half to protect him from additional "bumps and bruises". You can look it up. Doesn't that mean Maine was conceding the game at the end of the half?

mainejeff
September 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
Doesn't that mean Maine was conceding the game at the end of the half?

Yes. Just another reason to FIRE COSGROVE!

xcoffeex

Maroon&White
September 23rd, 2007, 08:31 PM
Again, I attended the game. I did not see any bad sportsmanship by either team.

The Maine D played how they normally do. If you watch close enough you will see what I mean. I don't really have a problem with how they play, but a Maine fan shouldn't complain about what UMass did when their team takes cheap shots the entire game.

mainejeff
September 23rd, 2007, 08:56 PM
The Maine D played how they normally do. If you watch close enough you will see what I mean. I don't really have a problem with how they play, but a Maine fan shouldn't complain about what UMass did when their team takes cheap shots the entire game.

I watched the game as well.....and like everyone else, I disagree with you too.

Get a life.

umassfan
September 23rd, 2007, 09:49 PM
I watched the game as well.....and like everyone else, I disagree with you too.

Get a life.

I would take Maroon n Whites view over anyones here seems he was in a possition to know more they anyone on this board... but thats just my two cents.

mainejeff
September 23rd, 2007, 10:12 PM
I would take Maroon n Whites view over anyones here seems he was in a possition to know more they anyone on this board... but thats just my two cents.

Oh really? Is he the football?

Some of you UMass fans are classless......nothing new though. It's what separates UMass from "big time" schools.

EmeryZach
September 23rd, 2007, 10:27 PM
there are classless fans at every single college in the country.

umassfan
September 23rd, 2007, 11:47 PM
Oh really? Is he the football?

Some of you UMass fans are classless......nothing new though. It's what separates UMass from "big time" schools.

You should prob know the facts before you insert foot into mouth. xnonox

Minuteman87
September 24th, 2007, 01:34 PM
Maine kept their starting TB Jamal Fluellen out of the second half to protect him from additional "bumps and bruises".

If true, that's pathetic. Why not just wave a white flag?
24-0 is not an unmanageable halftime deficit.

Probably why the D gave up a 5-yard TD to a 3rd stringer in the final minute. They packed it in.

And yes, every school has classless, idiot fans. It's unfair to use a broad brush to paint them all the same color.

bainsey
September 25th, 2007, 08:07 AM
I hope MJ is wrong, and Maine can win more than one game...it's a proud program with very talented players...I'll let the Black Bears fans disect the coaching job...

Except for the recruiting part, I don't have a problem with the coaching (Jeff and I have disagreed on this for years), and I appreciate the notion of "proud program," DJP, but "very talented players?" With the exception of Fluellen and the O-line, not this year.

Our quarterbacks are young, our receiving corps can't get open, and one of our starting H-backs never played high school football. (This was the same guy that fumbled the ball early in the game.) Our much-heralded defense that did a great job in Amherst last year (I was there) missed a bunch of tackles on Saturday. Need we get into the kicking game, too?

There are still seven games left, but based on what I've seen, it's hard to be optimistic.