PDA

View Full Version : 5 Games I'm Keeping An Eye On--9/22/07

BigApp
September 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM
We're heading into Week 4 (already!!) of this college football season, we've already seen stunning upsets and bad losses by some good teams, and yet what do we really know? Whatever it is we need to know, we likely won't be learning it this week. This is the last Out-of-Conference week for most teams before beginning conference slates. Here we go!

#18 Montana St (1-1) @ Weber State (0-2)--Big reach here, but I'm not ready to sign the lease on the Bobcats just yet. Yes, the Wildcats are winless but both their losses were on the road to Boise State and Cal-Poly. Dixie State isn't really a good measuring stick for MSU. Deciding factor for me in this one? It's Weber's home opener.
#40 Missouri State (2-1) vs Central Arkansas (1-2)--These two already have an opponent in common: both played (and beat) UT-Martin. UCA handled UTM pretty convincingly, MSU struggled and won by 7. Both have played FBS teams: UCA lost respectably to La Tech, MSU got hammered by Kansas State.
#41 Tennessee State (2-1) @ #46 Southern (3-0)--I'm interested in this game, if for no other reason than seeing how TSU holds up. In a strange scheduling pattern (for lack of a better term), this is 3rd in a string of 7 consecutive weeks away from home (one is a bye). Oh, and it's also a matchup of the OVC leading Tigers against the SWAC West leading Jaguars.
#44 Dayton (3-0) @ Fordham (2-1)--Even though they lost a squeaker to Albany (3 points), the Rams have a win at Rhode Island and are quietly putting together a very nice season. Key matchup in this one: Fordham averages 200 yards per game rushing. Dayton gives up 33 yards. Of course, Fordham has played an all FCS schedule (URI, Columbia, Albany), Dayton has played 2 straight non-DI's (Central State, Urbana)...
#56 Northeastern (1-2) @ #61 UC-Davis (1-2)--2 teams that desperately need wins to remain in the playoff picture. UCD has a very good offense, led by RB Joe Trombetta and QB Tim Plough, that averages 411 ypg. N'eastern has a defense ranked #106 (of 116 teams), giving up 448 ypg...Uh oh.

Poly Pigskin
September 22nd, 2007, 03:51 AM
#56 Northeastern (1-2) @ #61 UC-Davis (1-2)--2 teams that desperately need wins to remain in the playoff picture. UCD has a very good offense, led by RB Joe Trombetta and QB Tim Plough, that averages 411 ypg. N'eastern has a defense ranked #106 (of 116 teams), giving up 448 ypg...Uh oh.

I'd hardly consider this an upset, given how closely they are ranked (are those your own or are you getting them from somewhere?). Davis hasn't played very well thus far, but I think they will be very eager to win in the new stadium for the first time, especially given their previous attempt there. When you consider the distance Northeastern has to travel, I think the Ags should do just fine in this game.