PDA

View Full Version : The CSN Way: Poll Watching

CSN-info
September 20th, 2007, 02:45 PM
The CSN Way: Poll Watching
Charles Burton and Ralph Wallace, CSN Columnists

You’ve seen this on your team's website, or maybe in their game notes for the upcoming game this week. “South Dakota State ranked No. 24 in the Hot Dog Vendors Poll”, or “Brown is ranked as No. 4 in ‘The Chuck and Dave’ poll, right behind South Carolina State and right above Southern Utah."

What do all these polls mean? Are they legitimate? Are they accurate? There are many opinions on the matter.

There has always been a slew of polls in the Football Championship Subdivision, and navigating them can be tricky business, this year in particular.

While coaches and players will tell you they don't put much stock into them, don't believe it. Coaches vote on them and they and their players brag and complain about them. Fans have heated exchanges extolling the worthiness of their team based on them and others dismiss them outright. Sports information and media relations directors for the schools and conferences pepper their releases with the latest ranks and the media screams them in headlines.

READ MORE... http://www.collegesportingnews.com/article.asp?articleid=87601

putter
September 20th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Pretty interesting. Picking a couple upsets.

P.S. --Montana's victories have not come against all sub D1 teams

RabidRabbit
September 20th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Pretty interesting. Picking a couple upsets.

P.S. --Montana's victories have not come against all sub D1 teams

NAW - Just roasted T-birds of Southern Utah xlolx

A team that appears headed for the 0-11 outcome many predicted for their brutal schedule.

danefan
September 20th, 2007, 03:18 PM
Galloping Griz 27, Hans Christian Andersens 9

Ralph and Mr. C are getting a little loopy over there. I realize that Hans Christian Andersen was a Dane...but......really?

SunCoastBlueHen
September 20th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Towson over No. 11 Delaware. The craziness in the CAA starts here, with a Towson team that appears to match up perfectly with Omar Cuff and the Blue Hens in a key game for both teams. The Blue Hens will be matching up against a Towson defense that did a good job in shutting down UMass’ rushing game last week, led by linebackers Brian Bradford and Maurice Wilkins, while Towson quarterback Sean Schaefer will test the untested pass defense of the Hens. Add to this that the Tigers are at home – and a second conference loss would doom the hopes of the season – and you, Virginia, have the makings of an upset.
“They’re Grrrrrrrrrreat!” 48, “I’m Cuckoo for Cocoa Cuff!” 36

I sure hope Chuck and Ralph don't know what they're talking about. xeekx

OL FU
September 20th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Woffordxthumbsupx

Tealblood
September 20th, 2007, 04:56 PM
Ralph and Mr. C are getting a little loopy over there. I realize that Hans Christian Andersen was a Dane...but......really?

that isn't Mr. C is it I thougt his name was Colson

TexasTerror
September 20th, 2007, 06:47 PM
No mention of Pete's Weekly? That's the premier poll in the business...

james_lawfirm
September 20th, 2007, 07:20 PM
Interesting prediction from Sports Network.

I disagree. EVERYBODY since Montana State last year in the playoffs has been saying they were bigger, stronger, smashed-mouthier, etc. than ASU. That's what Michigan players thought too. Fine. Be that. But, until a team matches up with ASU's speed, it will be an ASU win.

I predict ASU 35 - Wofford 17.

appfan2008
September 20th, 2007, 07:29 PM
ASU has been shorter and smaller than every team they have played including lenoir ryhne but that is ok bc they are so much faster that is our game plan

appfan2008
September 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM
i sure hope their prediction for the game of the week does not come true

Seawolf97
September 20th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Good write up !

blur2005
September 20th, 2007, 09:40 PM
I haven't read it, but you should include Pete's Weekly Poll along with the Hot Dog Stand poll. It's probably just as accurate.

Lehigh Football Nation
September 21st, 2007, 11:21 AM
I haven't read it, but you should include Pete's Weekly Poll along with the Hot Dog Stand poll. It's probably just as accurate.

xlolx xlolx xlolx