PDA

View Full Version : Big Sky Predictions-Week 4

JALMOND
September 20th, 2007, 02:00 AM
So here we are into the fourth week and, for quite possibly the only time all year Montana will not be in the top spot in the conference. After this week, the Griz will be the only conference team that has not played a conference game. Hopefully, things will start to work out as we get to see how each team does against the other. Here we go.

EWU @ ISU---The Eagles really got out of the gate quick whereas the Bengals did not so much last week. Things probably won't change, but the score will be close...EWU 27, ISU 24.

Albany @ UM---The Danes arrive in Missoula ready to answer the mighty Griz challenge. How much of a game will it be? Griz at home, Griz coming off a bye, Albany flying across the country. Take the Griz...UM 38, Albany 10.

MSU @ WSU---How good can you really look against DII Dixie State. For the Cats, it still may rely how well they looked aganst Texas A&M. For the Wildcats, the first two games showed the defense can't slow anyone down, and also not much to show on offense...MSU 38, WSU 7.

PSU @ San Diego State---PSU wins, PSU wins, PSU wins, PSU wins, PSU wins. If I keep saying it, maybe it will happen. Truth be told, the Vikings are adjusting, trying to make the run and shoot work in the FCS. Are they ready to make it work in the FBS? First they need to find an offensive line...San Diego State 38, PSU 17.

UNC @ NAU---Nothing has gone right for the Bears so far this year. Ideally, they should be 2-1, but have not been competitive in any of the games they've played. Now, starting conference play, they have to go to Flagstaff and face the Jacks...NAU 49, UNC 7

Sac State @ New Mexico---Have the Hornets recovered enough after letting the game last week slip through their fingers? They move up to FBS this week at New Mexico. As if one impressive outing against FBS wasn't enough, they get another. A game effort, but in the end...New Mexico 30, Sac State 17.

Last week, the only wrong pick was Weber State (thank you EWU and PSU). Brings my totals up to 17-3 going into this week. Basically going with the status quo and ignoring the fact that the home team usually wins early in the season within the conference. Still, hard to go against EWU and MSU this weekend.

catbob
September 20th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Looks good to me.

The EWU/ISU matchup should be a shootout. EWU has been playing good offensively, but their defense was suspect last week against a so-so UC Davis squad. But the Bengal duo of Cornist/Barnett is always a dangerous one, and Russell Hill, despite his 5 picks already (4 at OSU), has been completing over 60% of his passes for 268 yards per game so far. This could be a shootout.

I think MSU wins by less. They key for this game will be getting up early. as I think the Wildcats may fold if we open a 2 score lead within the first 20 minutes of the game. The old "here we go again" attitude. If we let them hang around we may find ourselves upset in Ogden. MSU could have the best overall backfield in the BSC right now (with the possible except of the Griz), in Aaron Mason, Isaiah Taito and Demetrius Crawford, who have combined for 324 rushing yards, 102 receiving yards and 3 TDs through 2 games.

appfan2008
September 20th, 2007, 07:37 AM
when does montana start to play real competition???

catbob
September 20th, 2007, 07:52 AM

Well according to the rest of the FCS, the playoffs.

Bobcat in NC
September 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Well according to the rest of the FCS, the playoffs.

xlolx

ncbears
September 20th, 2007, 08:19 AM
So here we are into the fourth week and, for quite possibly the only time all year Montana will not be in the top spot in the conference. After this week, the Griz will be the only conference team that has not played a conference game. Hopefully, things will start to work out as we get to see how each team does against the other. Here we go.

EWU @ ISU---The Eagles really got out of the gate quick whereas the Bengals did not so much last week. Things probably won't change, but the score will be close...EWU 27, ISU 24.

Albany @ UM---The Danes arrive in Missoula ready to answer the mighty Griz challenge. How much of a game will it be? Griz at home, Griz coming off a bye, Albany flying across the country. Take the Griz...UM 38, Albany 10.

MSU @ WSU---How good can you really look against DII Dixie State. For the Cats, it still may rely how well they looked aganst Texas A&M. For the Wildcats, the first two games showed the defense can't slow anyone down, and also not much to show on offense...MSU 38, WSU 7.

PSU @ San Diego State---PSU wins, PSU wins, PSU wins, PSU wins, PSU wins. If I keep saying it, maybe it will happen. Truth be told, the Vikings are adjusting, trying to make the run and shoot work in the FCS. Are they ready to make it work in the FBS? First they need to find an offensive line...San Diego State 38, PSU 17.

UNC @ NAU---Nothing has gone right for the Bears so far this year. Ideally, they should be 2-1, but have not been competitive in any of the games they've played. Now, starting conference play, they have to go to Flagstaff and face the Jacks...NAU 49, UNC 7

Sac State @ New Mexico---Have the Hornets recovered enough after letting the game last week slip through their fingers? They move up to FBS this week at New Mexico. As if one impressive outing against FBS wasn't enough, they get another. A game effort, but in the end...New Mexico 30, Sac State 17.

Last week, the only wrong pick was Weber State (thank you EWU and PSU). Brings my totals up to 17-3 going into this week. Basically going with the status quo and ignoring the fact that the home team usually wins early in the season within the conference. Still, hard to go against EWU and MSU this weekend.

I can see this happening. Good picks.

Ronbo
September 20th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I was really looking for some improvement from UNC and Weber State this season. What happened to those two? xconfusedx

kalm
September 20th, 2007, 09:10 AM
I think we will probably be in shoot-outs all year. But a couple of promising trends (and yes, I know, only 2 games in) are no sacks and no int's. Plus Nichols has thrown 8 TD's to 7 different receivers. We're also averaging 266 yds on the ground. So as stated, we should be able to score on everybody, but unless the D tightens up we will have to score a bunch.

It seesm like the entire BSC has stud o-lines and good backs this year. Less of QB's conference I guess. Should be interesting.

ncbears
September 20th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I was really looking for some improvement from UNC and Weber State this season. What happened to those two? xconfusedx

I thought we would be better also. The only thing I can say is that we're extremely young. We have 70% of our team Soph or younger. Most of them are redshirt freshmen and true freshmen. I don't use that as an excuse but it is what it is.

dbackjon
September 20th, 2007, 09:42 AM
Portland has an excellent chance to knock off San Diego St...

SactoHornetFan
September 20th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Portland has an excellent chance to knock off San Diego St...

Not if they keep allowing 10 sacks like they did to us and ucdavis.

already123
September 20th, 2007, 12:00 PM
great picks!

I think Idaho State beats EWU...barely. Montana wins by 27+ points. PSU gets blown away. Weber makes it closer than we all think. NAU rolls....Lionel Scott and Lance Kriesien have thier coming out party!

Another great week in the Big Sky!

elkmcc
September 20th, 2007, 01:10 PM
I think the Weebs will be digging deep for redemption this Saturday after losing badly to CP and Smurfs. Ash probably doesn't quite have a good handle on the level of competition in the BSC yet and his coaching staff will let the Wildcats surprise him. BarbequeU can't be as bad as their opening 2 games might indicate. The bobs come in overconfident after their "game of the year" vs Whistlin' Dixie and McBride motivates his team at home to beat the bobcats in a good game. Bobcats board the Bozeman bound bus bummed. 38-35 Weebs.

USDFAN_55
September 20th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Not if they keep allowing 10 sacks like they did to us and ucdavis.

And San Diego State is thinking they may get some sacks against PSU, even though they only have 1 sack the entire season so far.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/aztecs/20070919-9999-1s19azfoot.html

CrazyCat
September 20th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I think the Weebs will be digging deep for redemption this Saturday after losing badly to CP and Smurfs. Ash probably doesn't quite have a good handle on the level of competition in the BSC yet and his coaching staff will let the Wildcats surprise him. BarbequeU can't be as bad as their opening 2 games might indicate. The bobs come in overconfident after their "game of the year" vs Whistlin' Dixie and McBride motivates his team at home to beat the bobcats in a good game. Bobcats board the Bozeman bound bus bummed. 38-35 Weebs.

If its one thing we learned last week, is that Coach Ash, his staff, and this team will be prepared and won't overlook anybody.

MSU 38
WSU 10

AZGrizFan
September 20th, 2007, 04:04 PM

Dude....Let it GOOOOOOOOOOOO......

You need closure. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

USDFAN_55
September 20th, 2007, 04:31 PM
See what this San Diego reporter thinks of Portland State. http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20070920-9999-1s20canepa.html

I hope you guys stomp San Diego State!

CopperCat
September 20th, 2007, 05:46 PM

38 points against THAT defense? Get real chief.

Russ B
September 20th, 2007, 06:06 PM
See what this San Diego reporter thinks of Portland State. http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/canepa/20070920-9999-1s20canepa.html

What's Portland State's total enrollment? I thought it was in the 20k range?

USDFAN_55
September 20th, 2007, 06:25 PM
What's Portland State's total enrollment? I thought it was in the 20k range?

By "small school" I think the reporter means not BCS.

I Bleed Purple
September 20th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Weebs?

If Barnes plays like an Alabama transfer, than WSU can win. Gotta keep him from looking only at Etuati on every pass.

I Bleed Purple
September 20th, 2007, 06:38 PM
38 points against THAT defense? Get real chief.

One of those TDs will be on special teams. :p

GOKATS
September 20th, 2007, 06:48 PM

Ash in a very short period of time putting a staff together, etc. took the Cats to Texas A&M where the Cats put up more O yardage, more first downs, controlled time of possession, etc. Ash is one of the most organized, disciplined coaches you'll ever find- nothing WSU does will surprise him, sell him short you're going to get your butt kicked.

MSU 38
WSU 14

CopperCat
September 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM

You're right!!! Our special teams ARE pretty good, as the BSC special teams POW (Mr. Austin) plays for MSU!!!

Peems
September 20th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Here are the teams that win: EWU, UM, MSU, San Diego St, NAU, New Mexico.

elkmcc
September 20th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Ash in a very short period of time putting a staff together, etc. took the Cats to Texas A&M where the Cats put up more O yardage, more first downs, controlled time of possession, etc. Ash is one of the most organized, disciplined coaches you'll ever find- nothing WSU does will surprise him, sell him short you're going to get your butt kicked.

MSU 38
WSU 14

Yea, that Aggie powerhouse really proved something tonight. One can't discount that big Dixie win either.xeyebrowx

elkmcc
September 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Weebs?

Do you prefer BarbqueU?xoopsx

JALMOND
September 20th, 2007, 11:02 PM

I hope we do, too, but I don't see it. Our O-Line has not kept anyone off of the QB yet and now we have to play the Mtn West's Aztecs. I just hope White does not get killed.

I think that is why the run and shoot isn't shooting yet. Whether its a case of White not throwing the ball quick enough or the line not holding the blocks, something is happening that is enabling teams to spend a lot of time in our backfield. If we can figure out how to give the QB more time, we'll be fine. Just not this week.

CopperCat
September 21st, 2007, 12:21 AM
Yea, that Aggie powerhouse really proved something tonight. One can't discount that big Dixie win either.xeyebrowx

At least we went out and played an FBS team rather than sitting at home playing Crap State three weeks in a row.

You're a real winner.

USDFAN_55
September 21st, 2007, 12:22 AM
I hope we do, too, but I don't see it. Our O-Line has not kept anyone off of the QB yet and now we have to play the Mtn West's Aztecs. I just hope White does not get killed.

I think that is why the run and shoot isn't shooting yet. Whether its a case of White not throwing the ball quick enough or the line not holding the blocks, something is happening that is enabling teams to spend a lot of time in our backfield. If we can figure out how to give the QB more time, we'll be fine. Just not this week.

The thing you have going for your team is that SDSU has only been able to get 1 sack so far this seaon. So what we have hear is a team that can't get a sack against a team giving up a ton of sacks. Isn't there some kind of logic that says they should balance each other out and have a normal number of sacks in the game?

elkmcc
September 21st, 2007, 05:10 PM
At least we went out and played an FBS team rather than sitting at home playing Crap State three weeks in a row.

You're a real winner.

Is someone reading football boards on the job again?xeekx

Tod
September 21st, 2007, 05:45 PM

As usual, I'll have to agree with you. Looks pretty accurate to me, though I'd love to see PSU and Sac State knock off the FBS teams (bet UNM would stop scheduling FCS/Big Sky opponents real fast). :D

CopperCat
September 21st, 2007, 05:53 PM
Is someone reading football boards on the job again?xeekx

You clearly didn't notice that it was posted at 10:21 p.m.

But YOU posted at 3:10 today, which makes me think that you are either a little punk student, or that YOU are the one posting on the job.

Throwing stones in glass houses again.....tsk tsk.

Grizalltheway
September 21st, 2007, 06:47 PM

You're a real winner.

I apologize that our home games generate significant amounts of revenue. Yes, we should have brought in stronger teams to play, but so it goes. There's really no point in us risking injuries for an FBS payday (now that the deficit is paid off).

GOKATS
September 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
I apologize that our home games generate significant amounts of revenue. Yes, we should have brought in stronger teams to play, but so it goes. There's really no point in us risking injuries for an FBS payday (now that the deficit is paid off).

xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

What a 'chicken' ***** response.

xwhistlex xwhistlex xwhistlex

blukeys
September 21st, 2007, 11:42 PM

I don't know anyone who was looking for improvement from these two. Whatever booze you are drinking I need to buy a bottle for my really bad days. xsmiley_wix

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2007, 03:19 PM

EWU, UM, MSU and NAU all win, PSU and Sac State loses. Looks like a perfect 6-0 this week. 23-3 overall.

Peems
September 23rd, 2007, 04:22 PM
all my predictions came true, but not that hard of week really.

JALMOND
September 23rd, 2007, 04:43 PM
all my predictions came true, but not that hard of week really.

Hasn't really been that difficult of a season. I've missed Chadron/UNC, Davis/PSU and Weber/Cal Poly. Probably could have chosen the other way, if I really thought about it. Then again, I hit the EWU/Davis game and the PSU/Sac State game. See how I do as conference play starts, some games might be tough to call (PSU/EWU this week comes to mind).

Walkon79
September 24th, 2007, 03:08 PM

Purple: I hope your special teams can score going forward, cause your offense might not ... Again ... Ever. Sorry, should be smack, but didn't want to start a whole new thread on a dead horse.

AZGrizFan
September 24th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Hasn't really been that difficult of a season. I've missed Chadron/UNC, Davis/PSU and Weber/Cal Poly. Probably could have chosen the other way, if I really thought about it. Then again, I hit the EWU/Davis game and the PSU/Sac State game. See how I do as conference play starts, some games might be tough to call (PSU/EWU this week comes to mind).

xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Everybody with a pulse knew UNC was going to lose that game....or were you just hoping to WILL UNC to victory? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Gil Dobie
September 24th, 2007, 03:44 PM
xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx Everybody with a pulse knew UNC was going to lose that game....or were you just hoping to WILL UNC to victory? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

No Shiat xnodx

SUU should have scheduled UNC. ;)

AZGrizFan
September 24th, 2007, 04:03 PM
No Shiat xnodx

SUU should have scheduled UNC. ;)

Now THERE'S a no *****ter.... xnodx xnodx xnodx

UNC is STILL trying to figure out who THEY should schedule for a win....

Casey_Orourke
September 24th, 2007, 09:11 PM

There is always the chance of an upset, and I know many times when I and others pick games there most everybody picks an upset that would seem improbable but would be nice to see. If the team you pick loses, it eas expected, but if they actually win then you are a genius because you called it when noone else did.xlolx

I Bleed Purple
September 24th, 2007, 09:30 PM
Purple: I hope your special teams can score going forward, cause your offense might not ... Again ... Ever. Sorry, should be smack, but didn't want to start a whole new thread on a dead horse.

They'll score. Smith will break one. Besides, we were in the red zone six total times. Most of those were late, but it was done. Not only that, but total yardage was in the end more for WSU. MSU's offense save two drives was very anemic.

JALMOND
September 24th, 2007, 09:39 PM

Like I said, probably could have gone the other way if I really thought about it. Second game of the year for the Bears, coming back to Greeley after playing on the Islands. I can remember thinking, if Chadron beats the Big Sky again, do they shoot up to the top as the next Big Sky expansion team. Keep in mind, I had UNC as a "chic" pick before the season (#8). All I can say about that is that I think I was "Le Freak"ed. :D

Screamin_Eagle174
September 25th, 2007, 01:21 PM
Good picks, except "Things probably won't change, but the score will be close...EWU 27, ISU 24."

Yeeeaaahhhh..... not so much.

AZGrizFan
September 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM
There is always the chance of an upset, and I know many times when I and others pick games there most everybody picks an upset that would seem improbable but would be nice to see. If the team you pick loses, it eas expected, but if they actually win then you are a genius because you called it when noone else did.xlolx

more twisted PSU logic? xlolx xlolx xlolx :D :D :D :D

CopperCat
September 25th, 2007, 04:57 PM
They'll score. Smith will break one. Besides, we were in the red zone six total times. Most of those were late, but it was done. Not only that, but total yardage was in the end more for WSU. MSU's offense save two drives was very anemic.

But who won is the question you have to ask yourself......xsmiley_wix xthumbsupx

Casey_Orourke
September 25th, 2007, 06:15 PM
more twisted PSU logic? xlolx xlolx xlolx :D :D :D :D

NOOOOOOoooooooooooxsmiley_wix just wishful thinking xnodx .