PDA

View Full Version : Buchanan Candidates?

McNeese_beat
September 19th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I see a Payton thread. Anybody got a guy off to a fast start on defense that has you seeing a Buchanan Award in the future? I'll start:

Bryan Smith of McNeese leads the nation with 4.5 sacks and 7 TFLs. He has 16 tackles and has forced two fumbles.

patssle
September 20th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Byran Richmond #2...34 tackles...21 solo...1 sack...2 force fumbles 1 recovered by him.

He has been a BEAST so far this season. You can see highlights of him from just the 2nd game here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_-eHiNXpl8

But keep your eye on Chris Brown...this guy is a gamer. Came to us from the national championship Texas Longhorn team where he was a starter as a true freshman for 8 games before breaking his leg.

FCSFAN
September 20th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Anyone from Sam Houston of course. Any Bearkat should win every award without question. Just ask patssle. Is there any bigger homer on AGS? :( :p

patssle
September 20th, 2007, 01:04 AM
Yes, because I know the stats of every other defensive player in FCS. I mean, its not like I know my own team since I don't follow them closely.

FCSFAN
September 20th, 2007, 01:31 AM
Yes, because I know the stats of every other defensive player in FCS. I mean, its not like I know my own team since I don't follow them closely.riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx xhomerx

swaghook
September 20th, 2007, 04:38 AM
I'm pretty sure Joe Mays from NDSU is on the list.

th0m
September 20th, 2007, 05:05 AM
For JMU, LB Justin Barnes seems to be having a good season so far:

39 total tackles, 18 solo and 3 TFL, 2 solo.

Maroon&White
September 20th, 2007, 06:34 AM
I see a Payton thread. Anybody got a guy off to a fast start on defense that has you seeing a Buchanan Award in the future? I'll start:

Bryan Smith of McNeese leads the nation with 4.5 sacks and 7 TFLs. He has 16 tackles and has forced two fumbles.

David Burris, DE, for UMass has 15 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 4.5 sacks and 1 BrUp.

appfan2008
September 20th, 2007, 07:34 AM
any conversation for this award can not be complete without corey lynch from asu!!!

letsgopards04
September 20th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Any Lafayette guys on the list? A certain Andy Romans perhaps. They have one of the best defenses year in and year out but no respect.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 20th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Just pick your best LB from Cal Poly and JMU and call it a day! ;)

Seriously, Justin Barnes LB JMU is having a hell of a season. I don't know about the rest of the country, but his name will be among those on the list.

Corey Lynch - hard to ignore that performance in Michigan. We'll see what his numbers look like the rest of the way.

It's funny on defense. Sometimes the best players are the ones with the lowest numbers because offenses game plan AROUND those players. Such was the case with Tony LeZotte last year. I'm sure App St. has a few players in the secondary that were in similar situations. Because LBs play the run and the pass and can get sacks, TFLs, INTs, etc. it really is the best LB award, although I'm sure there have been some exceptions. LBs simply have an edge in getting the best stats to pad their records.

AshevilleApp
September 20th, 2007, 09:27 AM
Corey Lynch should get some serious consideration

Outside of the game clinching blocked FG at Michigan Lynch has 27 tackles, 2 PD.

GannonFan
September 20th, 2007, 09:51 AM
The Buchanan Award is all stats - you get the stats, you get the award. Look for a guy with boatloads of tackles or boatloads of sacks and you have a front runner. One defensive back in 10 years would lead you to believe that a defensive back won't win it again this year - tough to get the stats you need when, if you're that good, people will have to throw away from you.

ysubigred
September 20th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Here is the link to the original BB post:

http://www.anygivensaturday.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28420

appfan2008
September 20th, 2007, 12:37 PM
Corey Lynch should get some serious consideration

Outside of the game clinching blocked FG at Michigan Lynch has 27 tackles, 2 PD.

not only that but he is and has the been the leader of this team both on and off the field

patssle
September 20th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Damn all you people nominating people from your own team...according to FCSFAN your a bunch of freaking HOMERS!

Mr. C
September 20th, 2007, 01:08 PM
The complete Buck Buchanan watch list right now includes:

Kroy Biermann, Montana defensive end
Colin Disch, Albany linebacker
Mike Gallihugh, Colgate linebacker
Jarmaul George, Southern safety
Jason Hatchell, UMass linebacker
Brian Johnston, Gardner-Webb defensive end
Kendall Langford, Hampton defensive end
Tony LeZotte, James Madison safety
Corey Lynch, Appalachian State safety
Joe Mays, North Dakota State linebacker
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State cornerback
Bryan Smith, McNeese State defensive end
James Terry, Youngstown State linebacker
Donald Thomas, Eastern Illinois linebacker
Bobbie Williams, Bethune-Cookman safety

Updates stats are available each week on The Sports Network website at this link:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/buchanan_2007/index.htm

mcveyrl
September 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM
For JMU, LB Justin Barnes seems to be having a good season so far:

39 total tackles, 18 solo and 3 TFL, 2 solo.

The complete Buck Buchanan watch list right now includes:

Kroy Biermann, Montana defensive end
Colin Disch, Albany linebacker
Mike Gallihugh, Colgate linebacker
Jarmaul George, Southern safety
Jason Hatchell, UMass linebacker
Brian Johnston, Gardner-Webb defensive end
Kendall Langford, Hampton defensive end
Tony LeZotte, James Madison safety
Corey Lynch, Appalachian State safety
Joe Mays, North Dakota State linebacker
Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State cornerback
Bryan Smith, McNeese State defensive end
James Terry, Youngstown State linebacker
Donald Thomas, Eastern Illinois linebacker
Bobbie Williams, Bethune-Cookman safety

Updates stats are available each week on The Sports Network website at this link:

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/default.asp?c=sportsnetwork&page=cfoot2/misc/buchanan_2007/index.htm

I would imagine that Barnes will replace Lezotte when the list gets reshuffled, kind of like Jordan did last year.

appfan2008
September 20th, 2007, 02:39 PM
Damn all you people nominating people from your own team...according to FCSFAN your a bunch of freaking HOMERS!

so what if we are all homers... that is who we watch every week and who we love!

danefan
September 20th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Gallihugh really has 43 total tackles already? That's a lot of tackles. If he keeps it up he'll be over 150 for the season.

swaghook
September 20th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Just stating the fact that Joe Mays is on the list. It would be great if he wins but I'm not saying he will.

X-Factor
September 20th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Just stating the fact that Joe Mays is on the list. It would be great if he wins but I'm not saying he will.

I don't think Mays has much of a chance. He will never put up the stats needed to showcase to the FCS community. All 3 of our linebackers are simply too good to allow one guy to pump up the stats.

bisonguy
September 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM
I don't think Mays has much of a chance. He will never put up the stats needed to showcase to the FCS community. All 3 of our linebackers are simply too good to allow one guy to pump up the stats.

I agree that Mays won't have the stats, but it's due to the defensive scheme, not the other linebackers being too good(although they are :D ).

If NDSU's defensive scheme funneled everything to the Mike LB, Mays would have unreal stats. However, each of the LB's is allowed to make the play, so you end up with Mays and Humber having near identical stats last year.

AshevilleApp
September 21st, 2007, 08:05 AM
Kinda sucks that safties are not considered more....especially if tackles and TFLs are looked at heavily. If your safties are your team leaders in tackles then that USUALLY does not bode well for your team.

McNeese_beat
September 21st, 2007, 09:29 AM
Kinda sucks that safties are not considered more....especially if tackles and TFLs are looked at heavily. If your safties are your team leaders in tackles then that USUALLY does not bode well for your team.

I know when Hadley Prince, a safety from McNeese, finished second in 2002, he was second to Mathis, the DB from Bethune-Cookman. So there have been years...

slostang
September 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM
Just pick your best LB from Cal Poly and JMU and call it a day! ;)

I think Cal Poly might take a year off and let someone else take home the hardware this year.xsmiley_wix I think they will be back in the hunt in 2008 with either Rover Mark Restelli or LB/DE Ryan Shotwell.