PDA

View Full Version : Bearkats Now Know Where They Stand

blackfordpu
September 19th, 2007, 05:10 PM
Bearkats know where they stand
By Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

FARGO, N.D. — It was a tough one to swallow, but the Bearkats have nothing to hang their heads about following Saturday night’s heartbreaking loss at North Dakota State.

The Sam Houston State coaches had the team ready to play and they almost walked away with an upset over the fourth-ranked Bison. The Kats took North Dakota’s best shots and kept fighting and clawing until the final seconds ticked off the clock.

They didn’t get beat, there just unfortunately had to be a winner and loser on the scoreboard at the end of one of the best college football games to date in this young season.

This is a different team from the one that took the field against Angelo State three weeks ago. The Kats finally found the leadership they needed. Quarterback Rhett Bomar put the team on his shoulders in the fourth quarter, and the rest of the offense responded. The wide receivers Catron Houston, Justin Wells, Darnell Jones and tight end Blake Martin made plays and the offensive line did their part. They were confident and never gave up even when the Bison took a 34-21 lead in the second half.

SHSU head coach Todd Whitten said earlier in the week that there was some doubt as to what exactly this team was capable of doing and where they stood at the Football Championship Subdivision level after opening the season with a pair of Division II opponents. But any questions about how explosive this offense could be were answered, and Bearkat fans can rest easy because this team proved they are one of the top FCS squads in the country.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_ ... 33509.html

lassic
September 19th, 2007, 05:21 PM
only 3 out 7 conference games are at home, going to be tough.

patssle
September 19th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Offense might be unstopable, its the defense, specifically the secondary that is still questionable.

OSU will be interesting...from their past games we could actually have a chance to win that game if we score enough.

TexasTerror
September 19th, 2007, 05:48 PM
only 3 out 7 conference games are at home, going to be tough.

Favors 2008 when we get both TX rivals (TXST and SFA) in addition to McNeese at home. That's going to be Bomar's senior year and hopefully all the pieces of the puzzle will be in place.

2007 may be a playoff year, but it will take an SLC title. No clue how that will shake up as the SLC is unpredictable. McNeese is the favorite and there are two or three teams that could knock them - those fun SLC turf battles!

No_Skill
September 19th, 2007, 08:37 PM
You think Bomar is gonna stay for his senior year? My money is on him entering the draft.

TonkaBison
September 19th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Bearkats know where they stand
By Cody Stark
Assistant Sports Editor

FARGO, N.D. — It was a tough one to swallow, but the Bearkats have nothing to hang their heads about following Saturday night’s heartbreaking loss at North Dakota State.

The Sam Houston State coaches had the team ready to play and they almost walked away with an upset over the fourth-ranked Bison. The Kats took North Dakota’s best shots and kept fighting and clawing until the final seconds ticked off the clock.

They didn’t get beat, there just unfortunately had to be a winner and loser on the scoreboard at the end of one of the best college football games to date in this young season.

This is a different team from the one that took the field against Angelo State three weeks ago. The Kats finally found the leadership they needed. Quarterback Rhett Bomar put the team on his shoulders in the fourth quarter, and the rest of the offense responded. The wide receivers Catron Houston, Justin Wells, Darnell Jones and tight end Blake Martin made plays and the offensive line did their part. They were confident and never gave up even when the Bison took a 34-21 lead in the second half.

SHSU head coach Todd Whitten said earlier in the week that there was some doubt as to what exactly this team was capable of doing and where they stood at the Football Championship Subdivision level after opening the season with a pair of Division II opponents. But any questions about how explosive this offense could be were answered, and Bearkat fans can rest easy because this team proved they are one of the top FCS squads in the country.

http://www.itemonline.com/sports/local_ ... 33509.html

I gotta hand it to you that was as wild a game as I ever want to see in the FargoDome. I am still hanging my head in shame as I was standing in the endzone and left the game after SHSU scored their last touchdown. Hopefully this is my penance I should have known Steve Walker would get the job done no matter how little time is left.

Bomar will play for pay in my opinion but Walker should be if any NFL team is paying attention and wants a cool cucumber under pressure here is your man
!!!

BisBison
September 20th, 2007, 07:18 AM
I gotta hand it to you that was as wild a game as I ever want to see in the FargoDome. I am still hanging my head in shame as I was standing in the endzone and left the game after SHSU scored their last touchdown. Hopefully this is my penance I should have known Steve Walker would get the job done no matter how little time is left.

Bomar will play for pay in my opinion but Walker should be if any NFL team is paying attention and wants a cool cucumber under pressure here is your man
!!!

I just don't get people leaving a game like this early. I mean damn, you're already there aren't you? What's a few seconds more in the car? You paid for a ticket and then miss the most exciting part of the game to get into the car 25 seconds before the next guy? I just do not get it. Sorry for the preaching. I'm done now.

Ronbo
September 20th, 2007, 09:11 AM
What's the parking lot like to get out of? The situation at these arena's is typically a large parking lot surrounding the complex. They can be a real traffic jam to get out of. There are usually folks that try to beat the crowd out and get free before the bottleneck occurs.

th0m
September 20th, 2007, 09:14 AM
I left a Cubs game early once, but that was when the Mets scored 11 runs in one inning....somehow this game seemed to be a lot closer...

Ronbo
September 20th, 2007, 09:19 AM
In San Francisco I left a SF Giants Vs. San Diego Padres game after the 8th inning with the Padres leading 8-1. We turned on the radio as soon as we got to the car and listened to the Giants rally in the bottom of the ninth for a 9-8 victory. The last 4 runs came with two outs. Doh!xoopsx

blackfordpu
September 20th, 2007, 10:23 AM
You think Bomar is gonna stay for his senior year? My money is on him entering the draft.

He had a less than stellar freshman year at OU then had all that controversy around him. He will have to play two years at SHSU to prove to scouts that he can hang with the big boys, especially if this year turns out to be an average year (lets hope it doesn't). He will be at Kat until he graduates.

Spooney-Cat
September 20th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Awesome showing by the Kats. Can't wait till our game in San Marcos. Always good ones xthumbsupx

Let's hope we both (we need more help than you guys) are still in contention at the end of the year. If not, then we'll just clip your wings like we did last year...xnodx xnodx