PDA

View Full Version : CAA Week 4 Predictions

GannonFan
September 19th, 2007, 11:19 AM
My picks for the upcoming week:

New Hampshire 42 Dartmouth 21 - New Hampshire had one of the bigger wins for the CAA with a romp over Marshall going away. Now they welcome in-state Ivy rival and they should continue to roll. Big difference between games 1 and 2 for the Wildcats and they should score plenty here.

Richmond 49 Bucknell 10 - Richmond got a week off after their dismantling of Northeastern and now they get back to business with another weak foe. Bucknell is just not very good and only boasts a close win over Dusquene. Richmond should run wild in this one.

Virginia Tech 40 William and Mary 14 - I think Va Tech keeps the score down in a game where they could name how many points they'd score. W&M's showing improvement, and the offense could be potent, but I think they get buried against an ACC foe.

Hofstra 21 Rhode Island 6 - Hofstra is starting to find a groove and URI is just a mess offensively right now. The Hofstra defense will devour the triple option and URI's defense will keep it a game.

Massachusetts 28 Maine 7 - Maine is the posterchild of a good defense with just no offense. UMass hasn't played well so far this year, but they keep winning and not by the fingernails either. UMass should cruise once they past 10 points since I don't think Maine will even sniff that total.

UC Davis 38 Northeastern 35 - I like Northeastern's big win over Northwestern St last week - big win for the conference. I just don't think they can duplicate it this week. UC Davis isn't great this year, but they are playing better after the DII loss to start the year. Throw in the cross country plane ride and playing an unfamiliar foe in a tough stadium and I think the Huskies come away with the loss.

villanova 28 Penn 21 - These games are always close, but nova, in the past series, always seem to come out on top. nova is looking better on both sides of the ball, and Penn just comes off a crushing 1 point loss to Lafayette. Game is on the Main Line and the wildcats should enjoy the echoes off the empty stands.

James Madison 48 Coastal Carolina 24 - While JMU would love a rout to make up for the disaster in 2005, I think Coastal is still better than VMI and will hang for awhile. Coastal is not the team they were the past two years, as losses to Del St and a not-so-good GSU team show. JMU should be able to run at will against the smaller team and pull away to make the win comfortable in the second half.

Delaware 45 Towson 31 - Towson has been a thorn in the side of two bad Delaware teams the past two years. UD let one get away in 2005 and Towson manhandled UD last year. UD looks like a different animal this year, explosive either running or passing on offense, and finally seems to have a defense to be proud of. Towson has been sluggish all year and it caught up to them finally last week against UMass. Injuries are starting to mount for the Tigers and the Hens just seem hungry for this one.

UNHWildCats
September 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM
so Dartmouth is gonna hold UNH to less points the Marshall did? At UNH? LOL!

yorkcountyUNHfan
September 19th, 2007, 11:42 AM
UNH needed those point against Marshall to win.

If UNH gets a nice lead you'll see them coast a little bit.
Hopefully they'll be in the position to do that in the 2nd half.

Umass74
September 19th, 2007, 11:44 AM
There is an amazin' statistic about Maine. They have 218 yards passing----for the season. And they're not an option team.xrotatehx

89Hen
September 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Last week not too bad, actually got a couple really close and the two I completely botched, I'm glad I did. xsmiley_wix

UMass 42 - Towson 31 xthumbsupx
NWSt 24 - Northeastern 17 xsmhx
Delaware 38 - URI 7 xthumbsupx
Marshall 47 - UNH 45 xsmhx
JMU 52 - VMI 10 xthumbsupx
Hofstra 31 - Albany 17 xthumbsupx
Villanova 28 - Maine 20 xthumbsupx
W&M 41 - Liberty 28 xthumbsupx

This week...

UNH 49 - Dartmouth 10
Richmond 38 - Bucknell 14
VT 56 - W&M 17
Hofstra 35 - URI 24
UMass 24 - Maine 14
Northeastern 27 - UC Davis 24
Villanova 24 - Penn 21
JMU 42 - Coastal 10
Delaware 42 - Towson 24

WrenFGun
September 19th, 2007, 11:47 AM
I kind of think UNH will take their foot off the pedal at one point.

UNH 52, Dartmouth 7
Richmond 42, Bucknell 10
VA. Tech 49, W&M 21
Hofstra 13, URI 9
UMass 17, Maine 3
UC Davis 31, Northeastern 20
Villanova 24, Penn 6
JMU 27, CCU 17
Towson 33, Delaware 30

Towson probably looks like the upset special, but they've won two years in a row and really need the statement win after the loss to UMass and some earlier struggles. That said, I certainly don't want to play a p*ssed off Delaware team in two weeks.

saint0917
September 19th, 2007, 12:05 PM
UNH 45 - Dartmouth 13
Richmond 31 - Bucknell 10
VT 51 - W&M 17
Hofstra 30 - URI 24
UMass 20 - Maine 14
Northeastern 30 - UC Davis 27
Villanova 21 - Penn 17
JMU 35 - Coastal 20
Delaware 42 - Towson 27

SunCoastBlueHen
September 19th, 2007, 01:03 PM
UNH 38 - Dartmouth 10
Richmond 28 - Bucknell 3
VT 59 - W&M 17
Hofstra 28 - URI 10
UMass 28 - Maine 3
UC Davis 28 - Northeastern 21
Villanova 21 - Penn 17
JMU 35 - Coastal 10
Delaware 48 - Towson 17 (if the Hens lose this game, I will sport a Towson avatar the rest of the season xthumbsupx )

andy7171
September 19th, 2007, 01:10 PM
(if the Hens lose this game, I will sport a Towson avatar the rest of the season xthumbsupx )

Make it a week, I'm getting tired of being mistaken for a UMass fan.

Richmond 20 Bucknell 13
VaTech 48 W&M 10
URI 8 Hofstra 6
UMass 22 Maine 16
UC Davis 31 Northeastern 21
Penn 18 Nova 14
JMU 51 Coastal Carolina 21
Towson 42 Delaware 38

Col Hogan
September 19th, 2007, 01:35 PM

Richmond 20 Bucknell 13
VaTech 48 W&M 10
URI 8 Hofstra 6
UMass 22 Maine 16
Penn 18 Nova 14
Towson 42 Delaware 38

But it looks soooo good on you (insert smiley here...I still can't figure out how to do it on the BlackBerry)

blueballs
September 19th, 2007, 01:55 PM
a not-so-good GSU team

Betcha' eat those words before the year's over...

GannonFan
September 19th, 2007, 01:58 PM

Not if you guys come to Newark this year... xsmiley_wix

UNHWildCats
September 19th, 2007, 02:14 PM

Richmond 20 Bucknell 13
VaTech 48 W&M 10
URI 8 Hofstra 6
UMass 22 Maine 16
Penn 18 Nova 14
Towson 42 Delaware 38

Did you kick us outta the CAA? :p

th0m
September 19th, 2007, 02:46 PM

You beat a DII, and CCU by 8 points. If we don't win by more than double, then either we suck as well, or you're better than not-so-good. Until then, not too much to go by xrolleyesx

BDKJMU
September 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM
New Hampshire 48 Dartmouth 17- Dartmouth went up 28-0 on Colgate in the 1st half before giving up 28 in the last 21 min of the game & Colgate went on to win in OT 31-28. UNH wins handily in this one.

Richmond 52 Bucknell 10

Virginia Tech 52 William and Mary 10 -

Hofstra 20 Rhode Island 10 -

Massachusetts 17 Maine 13 - Maine beat a maybe mediocre at best Monmouth team 21-14, got throttled by I-A UConn 38-0, then lost in OT @ Nova 24-17, a game they would have won in regulation if the Maine kicker hadn’t clanked a 28 yard FG off the upright in the 4th qtr. As usual, really good de, not good offense. But between being at home, UMass ungodly amount of penalties, Maine should keep this one closer than most people predict and put a real scare into a Umass team that hasn't played well so far this year. Can’t quite go with the upset here though.

UC Davis 31 Northeastern 27

Villanova 24 Penn 10 –Penn only put up 7 against Lafayette in their 8-7 opening loss. This will make 7 wins in 8 games for Nova going back to last season.

James Madison 52 Coastal Carolina 17 – See my rather lengthy analysis on the JMU-CCU pre-game thread

Delaware 41 Towson 31 – UD will pretty much run and throw on Towson with great success against a Towson de that’s just not good enough to stop high powered I-AA offenses. Towson will also struggle to run the ball against UD, but the UD secondary, which was torched against W&M, will get torched in a similar fashion by Towson.

Anovafan
September 19th, 2007, 05:14 PM
For what it's worth:

UNH over Dartmouth by 17
Richmond over Bucknell by 17
VT over W&M by 21
Hofstra over URI by 10
UMass over Maine by 14
UC Davis over Northeastern by 6
Villanova over Penn by 6
JMU over Coastal by 14
Delaware over Towson by 13

Minuteman87
September 19th, 2007, 06:32 PM
There is an amazin' statistic about Maine. They have 218 yards passing----for the season. And they're not an option team

11 men in the box for UMass? Seriously, you don't have to be a football genius (and I am not) to see that UMass is going to try and stop Fluellen and challenge da Bearsssssssss to beat them through the air. Maine's defense is awesome, but I don't see this being as close as these games have been for the last few years. BTW, who's going to start at QB for Maine -- Brusko or Farkes? Didn't Farkes come in late last week?

Richmond 21 Bucknell 10
VaTech 38 W&M 14
URI 28 Hofstra 24
UMass 31 Maine 10
Northeastern 31, UC Davis 28 (OT)
Nova 21, Penn 20
JMU 45 Coastal Carolina 28
Delaware 35, Towson 21
Cow Hamster 55, Dartmouth 7 (on a late TD when UNH is playing 3rd stringers)

mainejeff
September 19th, 2007, 07:13 PM
There is an amazin' statistic about Maine. They have 218 yards passing----for the season. And they're not an option team.xrotatehx

xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Cosgrove is finally making the switch at QB to Adam Farkas (RS Freshman). He is MUCH better than Brusko, but still green. Cosgrove should have made this switch last week......Farkas came in in the 2nd half but should have started.

Umass74
September 19th, 2007, 07:41 PM
11 men in the box for UMass? Seriously, you don't have to be a football genius (and I am not) to see that UMass is going to try and stop Fluellen and challenge da Bearsssssssss to beat them through the air. Maine's defense is awesome, but I don't see this being as close as these games have been for the last few years. BTW, who's going to start at QB for Maine -- Brusko or Farkes? Didn't Farkes come in late last week?
I would think that Maine will try to get some passing offense going even at the expense of reducing their winning chances in this game. Either that, or they're going to be looking at eight-in-the-box all season.

TheValleyRaider
September 19th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Dartmouth at New Hampshire New Hampshire Green showed some things early, but collapsing to Colgate is a poor tuneup for a better UNH side

Richmond at Bucknell Richmond I don't really know too much about either side, and as much as I'd like to take the Patriot Leaguers here, the little I know about Bucknell isn't too promising

William & Mary at Virginia Tech Virginia Tech Tribe can score, but can't stop the kind of offense VT can bring to the table

Hofstra at Rhode Island Hofstra Pride have looked good so far, Rams, not so much

Massachusetts at Maine Massachusetts Maine plays tough in Orono, and I'd be on the lookout for an upset, but their lack of offense worries me against a still tough Minuteman D

Northeastern at UC Davis UC Davis Thanks Northeastern. You get trounced when I take you over Richmond, then rout Northwestern St. after I picked the Demons. Thanks for nothing. This pick is only because I'm a petty, vindictive person, so there :p

Pennsylvania at Villanova Pennsylvania I keep picking against 'Nova, and they keep biting me in the butt. Maybe someday I'll learn. Or I'll be right, and Penn shakes off the tough loss to Lafayette

Coastal Carolina at James Madison James Madison Chanticleers seem to be struggling, while Dukes look pretty strong so far

Delaware at Towson Delaware I wish this game were in Newark, then I'd pick the Hens confidently. Not that they can't win at Towson, but their recent struggles vs. the Tigers give me concern. This is an Omar Cuff pick all the way

Jaxhen
September 19th, 2007, 07:58 PM
New Hampshire 49 Dartmouth 28 - New Hampshire may have a little let down after their big win over Marshall; however, not enough of one to allow Dartmouth to pull off the upset.

Richmond 42 Bucknell 10 - Richmond should roll in this one although they have struggled with PL teams in recent years.

Virginia Tech 42 William and Mary 28 - I think W&M will score some points in this one with their potent offense, but not enough to overcome an overmatched defense. I think it will be a little closer than most are predicting. Va Tech only beat E. Carolina by 10.

Hofstra 17 Rhode Island 7 - I really wanted to pick an upset in this one, but I just don't think RI can muster enough offense. Their defense should keep it close though.

Massachusetts 24 Maine 7 - Maine's defense should keep it respectable; however, to beat UMASS you have to be able to throw the ball.

UC Davis 28 Northeastern 17 - If this game was at Northeastern, I think they would win, but it is awfully tough to fly that distance and play a game in a hostile environment. Just ask Northwestern St.

Villanova 21 Penn 17 - Nova should win this one, but it will probably be close.

James Madison 49 Coastal Carolina 21 - JMU should win this one fairly easily.

Delaware 45 Towson 28 - Towson will definitely get their points in this one through the air, but I think UD's defense has improved enough to slow them down and make a few stops which they couldn't do last year. UD has a balanced attack which should put a lot of points on the board. The key will be to pressure Schaeffer into making a few mistakes, which he has done this year (7 interceptions already).

JMUFortier
September 19th, 2007, 08:10 PM
UNH 45 Dartmouth 7 - UNH got its groove back. :D

Richmond 17 Bucknell 3 - The Patriot League outside of Lehigh and Lafayette has nothing on us.

Virginia Tech 49 William & Mary 0 - If Tech gave JMU no mercy when we met them, why would they give the Tribe any mercy either. Plus the new quarterback is from Hampton, which means, given the history of that area, he'll be good.

Hofstra 28 URI 17 - Is Hofstra becoming a darkhorse candidate for the playoffs? If they keep up their quality of play, they might just as well end up in the mix.

UMass 27 Maine 7 - A good defensive battle to start but the no offense thing, yeah, that's going to hurt the Black Bears...but hey, I'm on your side come hockey season :D

UC Davis 24 Northeastern 21 - Northeastern does not travel long trips that well plus this is not Southern Utah. UC Davis gets tested but they pull out the win.

Villanova 35 Penn 17 - A good cross town rivalry but a becoming confident Villanova team will pull this one out.

JMU 35 Coastal Carolina 10 - To quote the Quebec license plate, "Je me souviens." In English, it means, "I remember." Boy, do we remember that fateful day in 2005. We remember and we have wanted them on our field since that day. The students remember. The fans remember. The coaches remember. The players (who were there) remember. The players (who were not there) get the picture, so by default, they remember too. That chip on the shoulder makes the critical difference in the game. Note how I did not talk about Coastal losing a load of players to graduation. Just three words, "Je me souviens."

Delaware 24 Towson 21 - Omar Cuff is playing this year and it will make a difference in this game. Out of all my picks, this one is where I could be wrong (it has burned me twice before...).

UNHWildCats
September 19th, 2007, 08:15 PM
New Hampshire 49 Dartmouth 28 - New Hampshire may have a little let down after their big win over Marshall; however, not enough of one to allow Dartmouth to pull off the upset.

I dunno, after last years win at Northwestern, UNH went home and totally dismantled Stony Brook 62-7..... I don't think a letdown is a major concern.

YoUDeeMan
September 19th, 2007, 08:40 PM

Nonsense. Despite the disguise, your posts are too well written and level headed to be mistaken for any umassfan on this board. xnodx xlolx

GeeWiz
September 19th, 2007, 08:57 PM
UC Davis 24 Northeastern 21 - Northeastern does not travel long trips that well plus this is not Southern Utah.

xconfusedx

How do you know that? Why because we lost at JMU last year? Provide some facts since you know the travel history of NU football. xeyebrowx

Anyway, here's my picks for the week ...

UNH 50 Dartmouth 14 - Wildcats return home to blast the Big Green in the last game played in this in-state rivalry
Richmond 44 Bucknell 17 - Spiders after a week off continue their winning ways
VaTech 41 W&M 10 - Hokies rebound after LSU beat down to scalp Tribe
Hofstra 24 URI 13 - Pride continue to impress and shut down URI option offense
UMass 28 Maine 7 - UMaine's offensive woes hampers their good defense as Minutemen roll
Northeastern 31 UC Davis 28 - Late Mo Murray TD helps NU pull out a win out West
Villanova 27 Penn 10 - Too much Antwon Young for the Quakers
JMU 49 Coastal Carolina 21 - Landers and JMU "D" have too many weapons for Chanticleers
Delaware 38 Towson 34 - CAA Game of the Week sees UD hang on for a close win

UNHWildCats
September 19th, 2007, 09:10 PM
UNH 50 Dartmouth 14 - Wildcats return home to blast the Big Green in the last game played in this in-state rivalry

This is not the first time I heard the reference to this being the final meeting between UNH and Dartmouth..... Where is this coming from? UNH remains on Dartmouth's future schedules and the UNH game notes this week while talking about the series never states this is the final meeting.... Where are you getting your info from?

GeeWiz
September 19th, 2007, 09:20 PM
This is not the first time I heard the reference to this being the final meeting between UNH and Dartmouth..... Where is this coming from? UNH remains on Dartmouth's future schedules and the UNH game notes this week while talking about the series never states this is the final meeting.... Where are you getting your info from?

I can't remember where I read this UNHWC. I was a little skeptical about it myself, but then again, with the ascension of the UNH program I could possibly see them ending the series.

I'll try to find where I saw it.

BDKJMU
September 19th, 2007, 09:40 PM
xconfusedx
VaTech 41 W&M 10 - Hokies rebound after LSU beat down to scalp Tribe

Uhh, VT already rebounded from that beatdown. They beat a 2-0 Ohio U team last week in Blacksburg 28-7, even after they drove down the field in the 1st qtr only to fumble the ball away at Ohio's 7 yard line. VT should have started Tyrod Taylor (one of the top HS quarterbacks in the nation last yr, at least dual threat) against ECU instead of bringing him in the middle of the 2nd quarter against LSU at LSU- heck of a welcome to big time college football (he did lead them on a 2nd half TD drive and didn't do too bad considering the circumstances). This guy might not be as good as Vick, but he is the real deal (Remember, Vick's 1st start was in 99' against JMU in his 2nd yr (redshirt freshman) Starting against JMU (who wasn't as good in 99') in Blacksburg is a lot easier than starting against LSU in Baton Rouge.
http://www.inrich.com/cva/ric/search.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2007-09-16-0252.html

But here's an article on that VT-W&M game:
http://www.timesdispatch.com/cva/ric/sports.apx.-content-articles-RTD-2007-09-19-0165.html
VT defense, despite the LSU game, is still pretty damn good. W&M won't get more than 10 on them, at least through 3 quarters.

HensRock
September 19th, 2007, 09:44 PM
xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xeekx xeekx xeekx xeekx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

Cosgrove is finally making the switch at QB to Adam Farkas (RS Freshman). He is MUCH better than Brusko, but still green. Cosgrove should have made this switch last week......Farkas came in in the 2nd half but should have started.

Farkas!
"Yellow eyes. I swear, he had YELLOW eyes!"

http://www.arcollectibles.com/x2story.jpg

EmeryZach
September 19th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Does anyone know how Liam Coen's foot/ankle/leg is? He looked to be in a lot of pain at the end of the game last week.

YoUDeeMan
September 19th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Farkas!
"Yellow eyes. I swear, he had YELLOW eyes!"

http://www.arcollectibles.com/x2story.jpg

Great movie! xbowx

JMUFortier
September 19th, 2007, 10:20 PM
xconfusedx

How do you know that? Why because we lost at JMU last year? Provide some facts since you know the travel history of NU football. xeyebrowx

You ask, I shall provide. I should add that my basis is out of New England. You all do okay in New England.

I'll go back 5 years. My stats come from http://gonu.com/football/2007/schedule.html and previous years' links.

2002 - You won at Ohio and Richmond (out of New England) and New Hampshire and Harvard (in New England), losses at UD and W&M (2-2 and 2-0)

2003 - You won at JMU (out of New England), and at URI (in New England) and lost to Hofstra, Villanova (out of New England), UMass, Harvard (in New England) (3-4 and 3-2)

2004 - Wins at Towson and Hofstra, losses at Navy, W&M (5-6 out of New England), and losses to Harvard and Maine (3-4 in New England)

2005 - Losses at Youngstown, NW State, Villanova, no wins (5-9 out of New England), win at URI, losses to UNH and UMass (4-6 in New England)

2006 - Win at Hofstra, losses at VT, NDSU, JMU, and Richmond (6-13 out of New England), win at Holy Cross, loss to Maine (5-7 in New England)

2007 - Loss at Northwestern (6-14 out of New England)

My point is that teams do not travel well outside of their region. This could be because players are familiar with teams and stadiums in the particular region and if they are not, someone they know does. Maybe even a larger factor with some teams would be climate. Take a team out of its normal climate and things could happen. If Northern Colorado was good, teams from around our side of the country would struggle with the elevation for one thing. That is the basis for my pick...sorry for the curt wording.

WSBE
September 19th, 2007, 10:20 PM
[QUOTE=JMUFortier;655716]UNH 45 Dartmouth 7 - UNH got its groove back. :D

Seems like the consensus is for a UNH blow out. Here's my question - is Colgate considered a really bad team this year? They beat Albany then seemed competitive against UMASS. Dartmouth was then beating Colgate 28-0 in the first half in their first game of the season? Seems like Dartmouth is a decent football team.....they may put up a fight against UNH? right?

also.....interesting note: this will be the first game for Santos & company on the new feildturf at Cowell Stadium

TheValleyRaider
September 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Seems like the consensus is for a UNH blow out. Here's my question - is Colgate considered a really bad team this year? They beat Albany then seemed competitive against UMASS. Dartmouth was then beating Colgate 28-0 in the first half in their first game of the season? Seems like Dartmouth is a decent football team.....they may put up a fight against UNH? right?

In defense of Colgate, we played like crap and a half during the first half, especially on offense. 2 of Dartmouth's TDs came on short drives off those turnovers, and the 3rd (actually first, chronologically) was on a drive that started at midfield. Dartmouth's 4th TD was a screen pass that went 60 yds., no excuses there. Otherwise, Dartmouth's offense was held in check. It sounds strange to say it that way ("If not for those 4 TDs, we did a great job on defense"), but it's close to the reality. Dartmouth's got some skill players, but they got overwhelmed pretty quickly once Colgate got back in the game.

Besides, UNH is a better team than Colgate. If Dartmouth can't hold a 4 touchdown lead against the Raiders, where do we think they can stop Santos and the Wildcats?

Umass74
September 20th, 2007, 06:21 AM
Does anyone know how Liam Coen's foot/ankle/leg is? He looked to be in a lot of pain at the end of the game last week.

Coen is expected to play.

TigerFan17
September 20th, 2007, 11:34 AM
New Hampshire 42 Dartmouth 14 - They can beat em er boys from western vaginny and em smart kids from the north! xnodx

Richmond 42 Bucknell 10 - UR, you are going to win. xrotatehx

Virginia Tech 38 William and Mary 9 - VT is weird right now, don't know what to think. And did anyone see any highlights or any part of the Ohio game? Their field looks like a 3rd grade science project.

Hofstra 20 Rhode Island 12 - URI can do enough to keep games somewhat close, but just can't win. Poor fellas. :o

Massachusetts 21 Maine 3 - The search for the Maine offense continues...

UC Davis 21 Northeastern 17 - Not sure about this UC-D team. Though, they didn't just fly 3000 miles...so I think they have the edge.

Villanova 24 Penn 14 - Meh.

James Madison 35 Coastal Carolina 13 - CCU never really in it.

Towson 3_ Delaware 3_ - Towson, Towson, Towson...what are we? Good, bad, mediocre? I don't know. I think this could finally be the game where Schaef settles down and returns to his old self. Tough to settle in against a UMass defense that blitzes every down. Cuff will get his, so will Schaef, and I think we're in for another barnburner. No Hakeem Moore, Tommy Breaux or Leon Stevenson...ouchies. We'll see. Go Tigers!

HensRock
September 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM
Cuff will get his, so will Schaef

Well, one thing we agree on. Schaefer will get his. Boy, will he get his. xwhistlex

TigerFan17
September 20th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Well, one thing we agree on. Schaefer will get his. Boy, will he get his. xwhistlex

Watch for a 300 yard, 4 TD performance. xazzx

HensRock
September 20th, 2007, 01:12 PM

Oh, I beleive I'll see one.
(but it won't be from Schaefer)

89Hen
September 20th, 2007, 03:31 PM
I dunno... I think Keeler will pull Cuff before he gets to 300.

HensRock
September 20th, 2007, 04:31 PM
I dunno... I think Keeler will pull Cuff before he gets to 300.

No, I think Omar will probably play the whole first half.

TigerFan17
September 20th, 2007, 06:05 PM
Probably will only play the first half. No point in risking him for the rest of the season when you're already down 42 points. xreadx

GeeWiz
September 20th, 2007, 08:05 PM
You ask, I shall provide. I should add that my basis is out of New England. You all do okay in New England.

I'll go back 5 years. My stats come from http://gonu.com/football/2007/schedule.html and previous years' links.

2002 - You won at Ohio and Richmond (out of New England) and New Hampshire and Harvard (in New England), losses at UD and W&M (2-2 and 2-0)

2003 - You won at JMU (out of New England), and at URI (in New England) and lost to Hofstra, Villanova (out of New England), UMass, Harvard (in New England) (3-4 and 3-2)

2004 - Wins at Towson and Hofstra, losses at Navy, W&M (5-6 out of New England), and losses to Harvard and Maine (3-4 in New England)

2005 - Losses at Youngstown, NW State, Villanova, no wins (5-9 out of New England), win at URI, losses to UNH and UMass (4-6 in New England)

2006 - Win at Hofstra, losses at VT, NDSU, JMU, and Richmond (6-13 out of New England), win at Holy Cross, loss to Maine (5-7 in New England)

2007 - Loss at Northwestern (6-14 out of New England)

My point is that teams do not travel well outside of their region. This could be because players are familiar with teams and stadiums in the particular region and if they are not, someone they know does. Maybe even a larger factor with some teams would be climate. Take a team out of its normal climate and things could happen. If Northern Colorado was good, teams from around our side of the country would struggle with the elevation for one thing. That is the basis for my pick...sorry for the curt wording.

JMUFortier,

You can pick us to lose anytime you want and have your reasons for it.

But to single out NU by saying we always have a hard time winning out of our region was crazy because so does everyone else.

BTW, we have won in California before. In 1997 we beat Mount St. Mary's (CA) 24-16. MSM was a 1-AA opponent who dropped football a few years ago.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 20th, 2007, 09:55 PM
LAST WEEK: 7-1 / Gotta stop bettin' against the CAA!
UMASS 42, Towson 21. xthumbsupx .
NW St 14, NU 13. :(
UDel 56, URI 21. xthumbsupx
UNH 52, We are Marshall 49. xthumbsupx xthumbsupx
JMU 72, VMI 7. xthumbsupx
Hofstra 14, Albany 10. xthumbsupx
Villanova 14, Maine 13. xthumbsupx
W&M 45, Liberty 14. xthumbsupx
Richmond @ Bye xthumbsupx :D

This Week:
Richmond 35, Bucknell 10. Richmond is a big sleeper in the CAA
VaTech 49, W&M 14. Wait 'til next week!
Hofstra 38, URI 14. Hoftra keeps moving up the Top 25
UMass 17, Maine 7. Maine is struggling on Offense
UC Davis 28, Northeastern 21. Long road trip does in the Huskies.
Villanova 24, Penn 14. Villanova is Richmond #2.
JMU 56, Coastal Carolina 24. JMU should be in the Top 5 in the nation.
Delaware 56, Towson 21. Towson cannot keep up with UD's basketball offense.
UNH 63, Dartmouth 21. When UNH finds it's defense, they will be a national championship contender.

Nebuta
September 20th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Richmond beats Bucknell. Go Spiders. Very under-rated with Hightower and company.

Defense wins championships. VaTech wins over William and Mary. VaTech has no offense, but their defense is better then anything W & M seen this year.

Hofstra hits the Rhode and doesnt look back. I dont see how Hofstra loses this game, but its the CAA anything can happen.

Minute men take few minutes to beat down Maine. Well 24 minutes, this should be over by half.

Northeastern continues to get its mojo. UC Davis has no answer.

Penn runs out of ink, Villanova wins in a close one.

Another day at the beach as JMU runs wild on the Coast.

Towson always plays up to Delaware, but unfornately with revenge on the minds of the Hens this Saturday, the tigers will be like a one legged man in an xazzx kicking contest.

UNH drops 40+ points on Dartmouth. Santos moves up on the Payton list.

UNHWildCats
September 21st, 2007, 12:06 AM
Richmond beats Bucknell. Go Spiders. Very under-rated with Hightower and company.

Defense wins championships. VaTech wins over William and Mary. VaTech has no offense, but their defense is better then anything W & M seen this year.

Hofstra hits the Rhode and doesnt look back. I dont see how Hofstra loses this game, but its the CAA anything can happen.

Minute men take few minutes to beat down Maine. Well 24 minutes, this should be over by half.

Towson always plays up to Delaware, but unfornately with revenge on the minds of the Hens this Saturday, the tigers will be like a one legged man in an xazzx kicking contest.

Theres something higher then #1???? Really who at this point can challenge him? Perhaps if Edwards played the last two weeks he would be in the discussion... I dont want to hear about Foster or who ever from Georgia Southern.... Let's wait til he plays some good teams.... Santos has been very strong so far against two tough opponents.

Omar Cuff I think is the only person besides Santos that has a case for #1 right now on the Payton list.

Nebuta
September 21st, 2007, 01:06 AM
Santos is #3 in my Payton List. Would be #1 if they came away with a win at JMU. But since he is the quarterback, have to look at the overall record as well.
Its still early, a lot of season to be played.

Cobblestone
September 21st, 2007, 07:32 AM
Going out on a limb here and saying this week we FINALLY win one.

URI 24 Hofstra 21.

89Hen
September 21st, 2007, 08:25 AM
Theres something higher then #1???? Really who at this point can challenge him?

xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

UNHWildCats
September 21st, 2007, 09:53 AM
xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

now now now,,,,, i mentioned Cuff at the end of the post..... xcoolx

TigerFan17
September 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM
now now now,,,,, i mentioned Cuff at the end of the post..... xcoolx

Worry not my friend, Cuff won't get 100 all-purpose yards this weekend in a losing effort. Go Santos! ;)

andy7171
September 21st, 2007, 10:18 AM
Worry not my friend, Cuff won't get 100 all-purpose yards this weekend in a losing effort. Go Santos! ;)

Cuff will get his all purpose yards, but much like the UMass game we need to hold tight on the run defense. Everyone is overlooking the fact that we only gave up 81yards rushing (2.5 ypc) against the Minutemen. That's one positive that came out of that loss. If Towson can lock up the run, we stand much better odds of winning. xthumbsupx

HensRock
September 21st, 2007, 10:19 AM
Cuff won't get 100 all-purpose yards this weekend in a losing effort.

Again we agree. This is getting scary.

ChickenMan
September 21st, 2007, 10:43 AM
Cuff will get his all purpose yards, but much like the UMass game we need to hold tight on the run defense. Everyone is overlooking the fact that we only gave up 81yards rushing (2.5 ypc) against the Minutemen. That's one positive that came out of that loss. If Towson can lock up the run, we stand much better odds of winning. xthumbsupx

The fact is UD's passing attack with Flacco is more potent than Cuff and the running game.. if Towson sells out to stop the run.. Flacco will have a very big day... xnodx

andy7171
September 21st, 2007, 10:58 AM
The fact is UD's passing attack with Flacco is more potent than Cuff and the running game.. if Towson sells out to stop the run.. Flacco will have a very big day... xnodx

I understand Flacco is a very good passer, however looking at Towson's defense, our secondary is much MUCH stronger than our defensive line. I would much rather have our strength playing against UD offensive assault, rather than hope and pray that the d-line can hold up against Cuff and the running game.

Get?

ChickenMan
September 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM
I understand Flacco is a very good passer, however looking at Towson's defense, our secondary is much MUCH stronger than our defensive line. I would much rather have our strength playing against UD offensive assault, rather than hope and pray that the d-line can hold up against Cuff and the running game.

Get?

Morgan St and Central Conn St are hardly a fair yardstick as to the quality of the Towson pass defense. I would say.. UMass who completed 17 of 22 for 225 yrds is much closer to reality.

andy7171
September 21st, 2007, 11:37 AM
Morgan St and Central Conn St are hardly a fair yardstick as to the quality of the Towson pass defense. I would say.. UMass who completed 17 of 22 for 225 yrds is much closer to reality.

Right. I agree CCSU and Morgan State are not CAA qualtiy competition. However we held Coen to only one TD. And the rushing TD was a late in the game garbage time run. Other than that it was a game of FGs and a very big interception.

Now of W&M, WCU and URI which has the similar offense Towson has, and what was that offensive result?

ChickenMan
September 21st, 2007, 11:51 AM
Right. I agree CCSU and Morgan State are not CAA qualtiy competition. However we held Coen to only one TD. And the rushing TD was a late in the game garbage time run. Other than that it was a game of FGs and a very big interception.

Now of W&M, WCU and URI which has the similar offense Towson has, and what was that offensive result?

W&M.. by far is the best offense UD has seen and they were able to ring up some big numbers in the passing game. However.. most of that production came in the 4th quarter.. when UD was up 18-25 points. UD really shut down both URI and WCU and they have played the run very well all season. There are still some questions relative to the Hen's ability to defend the pass.. but there's no doubt that their pass rush is 100% improved. I expect Towson to put it up 45+ times Saturday night.. so we will soon find out just how much the UD pass defense has improved.

andy7171
September 21st, 2007, 11:56 AM
W&M.. by far is the best offense UD has seen and they were able to ring up some big numbers in the passing game. However.. most of that production came in the 4th quarter.. when UD was up 18-25 points. UD really shut down both URI and WCU and they have played the run very well all season. There are still some questions relative to the Hen's ability to defend the pass.. but there's no doubt that their pass rush is 100% improved. I expect Towson to put it up 45+ times Saturday night.. so we will so find out just how much the UD pass defense has improved.

One thing we know for sure, these Towson delaware meeting produce bigtime points. It should be a fun game to watch. xnodx xnodx xthumbsupx xpeacex

TigerFan17
September 21st, 2007, 12:06 PM
Also Coen's completion numbers look pretty good because most of the passes were short slants or screens. They rarely went north to south on us and tried to spread the field.

Looking forward to tomorrow!!

GannonFan
September 21st, 2007, 12:29 PM

As the other poster noted, W&M got half its yards and 21 of its points in the 4th quarter of a game already decided. And 7 of those 21 points were on a fumble recovery by the defense. Through 3 quarters UD had held W&M to 10 points. If you'd tell me that Towson will only have 10 points through 3 quarters tomorrow then I'll tell you that UD will win in a blowout. I'll take that deal in a heartbeat! xthumbsupx

HensRock
September 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM
Looking forward to tomorrow!!

I am too!
I'll be there. Wouldn't mind meeting up with Andy and TigerFan, either.

Good luck guys.

Old Cage
September 21st, 2007, 01:52 PM
Two items. This Hampshire Gazette quote applies to both #1 and #2:

"Towson veteran quarterback Sean Schaefer threw three interceptions last week against the Minutemen and was knocked down 17 times."

1. I guess I didn't attend the same UMass/Towson game that you guys above are commenting on. Must have been a parallel universe thing.

2. Folks in the early pages of this thread are picking UMass to beat Maine by 3 and 7 and 10. My goodness. We are averaging 37 points a game, our qb will play, and Maine can't hardly score and is starting a freshman quarterback.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 23rd, 2007, 09:18 AM
UNH 38 - Dartmouth 10 UNH won by 21 xthumbsupx
Richmond 28 - Bucknell 3 Richmond won by 31 xthumbsupx
VT 59 - W&M 17 VT won by 41 xthumbsupx
Hofstra 28 - URI 10 Hofstra won by 7 xthumbsupx
UMass 28 - Maine 3 UMass won by 31 xthumbsupx
UC Davis 28 - Northeastern 21 UC Davis won by 18 xthumbsupx
Villanova 21 - Penn 17 'Nova won by 20 xthumbsupx
JMU 35 - Coastal 10 JMU won by 35 xthumbsupx
Delaware 48 - Towson 17 Hens won by 20 xthumbsupx

Not too shabby!!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
September 23rd, 2007, 09:21 AM
Not too shabby!!!! xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

HU won by 13, but still a good job xthumbsupx

SunCoastBlueHen
September 23rd, 2007, 09:32 AM
HU won by 13, but still a good job xthumbsupx

Whoops. :o

Even better! xthumbsupx

Uncle Buck
September 23rd, 2007, 09:41 AM
Whoops. :o

Even better! xthumbsupx

With the way we played the first half, i need to take everything i can get. IMO, we're over-ranked and still not very consistent on offense.

SunCoastBlueHen
September 23rd, 2007, 09:59 AM
With the way we played the first half, i need to take everything i can get. IMO, we're over-ranked and still not very consistent on offense.

3-0 is 3-0, Buck. Right now, you guys look like the surprise team in the CAA and a squad to be reckond with. xnodx

JMUFortier
September 23rd, 2007, 10:02 AM
UNH 45 Dartmouth 7 - UNH got its groove back. :D

Richmond 17 Bucknell 3 - The Patriot League outside of Lehigh and Lafayette has nothing on us.

Virginia Tech 49 William & Mary 0 - If Tech gave JMU no mercy when we met them, why would they give the Tribe any mercy either. Plus the new quarterback is from Hampton, which means, given the history of that area, he'll be good.

Hofstra 28 URI 17 - Is Hofstra becoming a darkhorse candidate for the playoffs? If they keep up their quality of play, they might just as well end up in the mix.

UMass 27 Maine 7 - A good defensive battle to start but the no offense thing, yeah, that's going to hurt the Black Bears...but hey, I'm on your side come hockey season :D

UC Davis 24 Northeastern 21 - Northeastern does not travel long trips that well plus this is not Southern Utah. UC Davis gets tested but they pull out the win.

Villanova 35 Penn 17 - A good cross town rivalry but a becoming confident Villanova team will pull this one out.

JMU 35 Coastal Carolina 10 - To quote the Quebec license plate, "Je me souviens." In English, it means, "I remember." Boy, do we remember that fateful day in 2005. We remember and we have wanted them on our field since that day. The students remember. The fans remember. The coaches remember. The players (who were there) remember. The players (who were not there) get the picture, so by default, they remember too. That chip on the shoulder makes the critical difference in the game. Note how I did not talk about Coastal losing a load of players to graduation. Just three words, "Je me souviens."

Delaware 24 Towson 21 - Omar Cuff is playing this year and it will make a difference in this game. Out of all my picks, this one is where I could be wrong (it has burned me twice before...).

UNH 52 Dartmouth 31:)
Richmond 45 Bucknell 14:)
VT 44 W&M 3 :) but xoopsx the Tribe scored 3
Hofstra 37 URI 24 :)
UMass 38 Maine 7 So I get a 1/2xthumbsupx
UCD 28 Northeastern 10 :)
Villanova 34 Penn 14 :)
JMU 45 CCU 10 :) I get a 1/2xthumbsupx
Delaware 27 Towson 7 :)

Uncle Buck
September 23rd, 2007, 10:04 AM
Our schedule is favorable this year in that we don't have UD or JMU on it. I just want a winning record after last season's debacle. Hopefully we get on track this week with Stony Brook and work out some kinks. Going into a full blown conference slate at 4-0 would be way beyond what i had hoped for. Then again, URI just seems to give us first half fits, they did the same thing last season. I'm glad we had the resolve to battle back for a W.

Nebuta
September 23rd, 2007, 10:13 AM

Richmond won :)
VT won :)
Hofstra won :)
UMass won and it was pretty much over by half :)
Northeastern losts. CAA Homer picks get me in trouble sometimes :(
Nova won but wasnt close xrolleyesx
Delaware dominated on both sides of the ball :)
UNH droping 50+ not 40+ won :)

JMUFortier
September 23rd, 2007, 11:14 AM
Our schedule is favorable this year in that we don't have UD or JMU on it. I just want a winning record after last season's debacle. Hopefully we get on track this week with Stony Brook and work out some kinks. Going into a full blown conference slate at 4-0 would be way beyond what i had hoped for. Then again, URI just seems to give us first half fits, they did the same thing last season. I'm glad we had the resolve to battle back for a W.

4-0 puts you all in a fantastic position...all you would need to do to get into the playoff hunt is win 4 of the next 7 games. That would put you at a solid 8-3, which would be a great recovery.

Uncle Buck
September 23rd, 2007, 12:53 PM
4-0 puts you all in a fantastic position...all you would need to do to get into the playoff hunt is win 4 of the next 7 games. That would put you at a solid 8-3, which would be a great recovery.

That would be a great turnaround IMO. We can't afford to be slow starters in this conference. We usually play UMass and UNH pretty tough, hopefully this year we can get over the hump and win one of those two. I think we traditionally have matched up well with them. We'll see. i'm just elated to have more than two wins. xnodx

th0m
September 23rd, 2007, 02:02 PM
Hell yeah, Hofstra has been the surprise of the CAA for sure. TOUGH year in the CAA, no doubt. Not that it's ever easy.

blukeys
September 23rd, 2007, 04:06 PM

You were correct!!!!!! Omar's 100+ yards were in a winning effort!!!xsmiley_wix

Col Hogan
September 23rd, 2007, 06:10 PM
I've watched Delaware twice now (W&M and Towson), and while I might pick against the Hens (depending on the opponent), I would never...NEVER...say anything about limiting Cuff...

He is a stud, 1st class...Fun to watch...I suspect a load to tackle...

GannonFan
September 23rd, 2007, 09:26 PM
I've watched Delaware twice now (W&M and Towson), and while I might pick against the Hens (depending on the opponent), I would never...NEVER...say anything about limiting Cuff...

He is a stud, 1st class...Fun to watch...I suspect a load to tackle...

Cuff is indeed special, not just a homer speaking here either. The guy's a special player and has a real nose for the endzone - seems like he really turns it up even a notch higher when he has a chance to score. Guys like Thaxton and the injured Butler are going to be very good backs when Omar leaves, but Omar will still be in a class by himself. Hoping to see him play more than just the scheduled 11 games this year. xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 23rd, 2007, 10:19 PM
Not bad this week...

UNH 49 - Dartmouth 10 52-31 xthumbsupx
Richmond 38 - Bucknell 14 45-14 xthumbsupx
VT 56 - W&M 17 44-3 xthumbsupx
Hofstra 35 - URI 24 37-24 xeekx xthumbsupx
UMass 24 - Maine 14 38-7 xthumbsupx
Northeastern 27 - UC Davis 24 10-28 :( two weeks in a row they got me
Villanova 24 - Penn 21 34-14 xthumbsupx
JMU 42 - Coastal 10 45-10 xeekx xthumbsupx
Delaware 42 - Towson 24 27-7 xcoffeex

:D

UNHWildCats
September 23rd, 2007, 10:22 PM
Delaware 42 - Towson 24 27-7 xcoffeex

:D

Aint it a bit late to be drinking coffee :p

89Hen
September 23rd, 2007, 10:23 PM
Aint it a bit late to be drinking coffee :p
It is! I wanted a so-so smiley.... I actually was only 2 off on the point differential.... where the heck is JohnStOnge when I have a week like that? The computers have NOTHING on me baby! :p

redspider
September 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Come on you guys once again went with Northeastern what have you learned. Northeastern against a team like UC Davis this one should have been an easy pick.

89Hen
September 24th, 2007, 08:30 AM
Come on you guys once again went with Northeastern what have you learned. Northeastern against a team like UC Davis this one should have been an easy pick.
Oh yeah? Well we listened to you the week before and took NWSt and look what happened. xmadx :p