PDA

View Full Version : 9/22 Coastal Carolina at James Madison Pregame Thread

JMU Duke Dog
September 18th, 2007, 09:56 PM
http://www.logoserver.com/college/CoastalCarolnaChanticleers2.GIFhttp://www.logoserver.com/college/JamesMadisonDukes18.GIF

In 2005 an unranked CCU beat a #1 ranked JMU in Conway, SC for the first big win of the Chanticleers' football program's history. Jerome Simpson's spectacular catch made the ESPN highlight of the week. This was the first of four losses of the 2005 season for JMU by a combined 16 points that ended the Dukes' 2005 playoff hopes. JMU is extremely hungry for revenge heading into this weekend! Any thoughts on CCU's preparation heading into this game? Please make predictions!

Chants '07
September 18th, 2007, 10:09 PM
Duke's win big!

We're very young on the offensive line, although we are very experienced at the skill positions minus the QB, who does have the skill but not the experience.

#40 FB Mike Tolbert is a beast
#22 RB Eric O'Neal could be one of the best freshmen in the country by the end of the year.
#21 RB Jamie Fordham can go when healthy
#19 WR NUFF SAID
#82 WR Santini Washington a quality 2nd threat to Rome!
#81 WR Jamar Anderson....good in space, can create after the catch, which can get him in trouble some times.
#20 WR Trent Usher....Lou Holtz signed him to play for the Gamecocks, but the ol' ball coach decided not to renew his scholly.
#18 TE Scott Fambrough....pretty solid athlete can cause some mismatch problems.

But it all boils down to those 5 up front!

Our D hasn't stopped a soul in about 3 seasons, but they always seem to get a stop when we need one the most. Without the friendly confines of Brooks stadium I don't like our chances going into Harrisburg. This team much like last year waits until the 2nd half to pick up intensity...if they can ever put 4 quarters of ball together we'll collect our 4th big south title in 5 years.

MarkCCU
September 19th, 2007, 06:32 AM
I haven't followed the stats for the CHants thus far. JMU is definetly hungry for revenge but it won't be easy. They have the advantage of being home but the Chants can overcome many obstacles to achieve victory on the field. Our young line is young but should hold out. We've still got Tolbert and Simpson on the line to make plays. Our new QB is very skilled and last week he played a great opponent. It's hard to say about the outcome...

Eaglegus2
September 19th, 2007, 06:42 AM
Coastal needs to utilize #40 Tolbert more. He is capable of wearing down a defense. #19 is extremely talented receiver. He should have had more touches IMHO.

ChickenMan
September 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Coastal appears to be defenseless.. JMU wins by 20+...

th0m
September 19th, 2007, 07:56 AM
I'm cautiously optimistic about this game. I'm sure we'll lose a game we're supposed to win, but CCU just aint gonna be that game. JMU's shored up on CB since the UNH game, a concern could be Holloman's health. The backups ran well against VMI, but its hard to get a good read out of that.

bodoyle
September 19th, 2007, 08:07 AM
It's all on our QB and our defensive line...which worries me. Will is not a good QB in my opinion - can't throw the deep ball correctly, stares down the receiver and doesn't know how to look off a DB/CB, and our line...well we allow about 360 on the ground a game.

With that being said, never count us out.

mcveyrl
September 19th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I think we're going to be able to pressure the QB pretty well, I think. If we focus on Simpson, we basically make a rushed QB beat us with his second and third options.

Either way, I don't think they can outscore us with Landers throwing and running.

There will be a lot of points scored in this game, either mostly by JMU or by both teams, but I think we pull it out.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 19th, 2007, 09:55 AM
Landers day will be huge, not unlike his day vs. UNH 2 weeks ago. Similar defensive issues on both teams (UNH & CCU), and I don't think CCU's lines on both sides of the ball are as good as UNH. We shall see, but I am confident at home the Dukes will pour on the points. While I think CCU will put plenty of points on the board, I think JMU's D will be too big a test for the young QB.

Prediction: JMU 45 - CCU 24

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2007, 02:16 PM
Coastal needs a defense. JMU will roll in this one.

BDKJMU
September 19th, 2007, 04:52 PM
Coastal lost an unheard of 36 seniors form last year’s 9-3 playoff squad (1st round loss to ASU.

Offensively, the Chants return only 4 starters. Their leading rusher from a year ago, their fullback Mike Tolbert is back, they have some experience at tailback, return 3 of their 4 leading receivers, including All American Jerome Simpson (2nd team All-America by the Associated Press and Weekly Football Gazette, and 3rd from The Sports Network in 2006, Big South Pre-season offensive player of the year) (2 years ago had 2 TD catches against JMU, but not the game winner). Have a new QB (their starter from last year, Thigpen, drafted by the Minnesota Vikings, 7th round) and 4 new starters on the O-line. Their O-line listed starters in their pre-season media guide avg about 6’4” 290 across the front.

Defensively, CCU returns 6 starters from last season. The front 4 returns all 4 starters including 3 time All Big South and pre season All Big South defensive end Adrian Grady (he and Simpson at receiver are the only 2 to get picked for pre season All Big South). The other de end was 2nd team All Big South last year. CCU only returns one starter at both linebacker and the secondary.

CCU lost to Del State 23-18, beat Winston Salem State 28-21, and lost to Ga. Southern 42-34. Through 3 games CCU is avg 142 yards on the ground, and 229 in the air.
Defensively, CCU is giving up an avg of 360 yards per game on the ground and 51 per game in the air. CCU gave up 512, yes, that’s right, 512 yards on the ground to GSU!

JMU offense against CCU defense:
Rushing: Whether or not Holloman plays, JMU should run all over CCU. I look for JMU to put up
-400 (+-25) yards
-5 TDs

Passing: Look for JMU to get a big play or 2 here too:
-150 (+- 25 yards)
-1 TD

-550 (+- 25) yards total offense and scores
-6 TDs

CCU offense vs JMU defense (I’m assuming Baranowsky will be back):
Rushing
-75 (+- 25) yards
-1 TD
Passing
-150 (+- 25) yards
-1 TD

-225 total (+- 25) yards
-2 TDs

-1 TD scored by JMU defense or special teams (haven’t been one of those yet this season)

Final score:
-JMU 52
-CCU 17

http://www.goccusports.com/football/?tool=media_center&season=109

http://www.bigsouthsports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4800&ATCLID=1149080&SPID=1985&SPSID=30012&KEY=&DB_OEM_ID=4800&DB_LANG=&IN_SUBSCRIBER_CONTENT=

http://www.goccusports.com/football/2007stats/teamstat.htm

JMU Duke Dog
September 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Anyone from CCU making the trip to JMU this weekend?

JMU-MRD-DAD
September 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
If Coastal is giving up that many yards on the ground as noted in an earlier post, JMU should have their way with the ground game. I would rather see Holloman rest another game and let the backups get the job done. I'm not sure of his status for Saturday's game.

I was happy to see L.C. Baker make some big plays last week.

Go Dukes....

BDKJMU
September 19th, 2007, 09:50 PM
From the Myrtle Beach paper:

CCU among conference teams facing tough trips

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/sports/story/192451.html

waterwagen
September 19th, 2007, 11:08 PM
It's all on our QB and our defensive line...which worries me. Will is not a good QB in my opinion - can't throw the deep ball correctly, stares down the receiver and doesn't know how to look off a DB/CB, and our line...well we allow about 360 on the ground a game.xeekx You do field 11 players on defense, right?

I kid, I kid... I'm sure you guys will play great. Games like this always make me nervous.

The Gadfly
September 20th, 2007, 12:47 AM
This is what I probably said in 2005, "We suck. You guys are going to destroy us. We're way too young to beat JMU, the #1 team in the land." That's how I feel this year. xwhistlex I hope your team has their guard down as well this Saturday xnodx . I hope we keep it interesting.

blur2005
September 20th, 2007, 01:21 AM
xeekx You do field 11 players on defense, right?

I kid, I kid... I'm sure you guys will play great. Games like this always make me nervous.
Do not be overly concerned about this game. If the Dukes show up and play their game, this isn't going to be close.

Dukes 45, Chants 17

th0m
September 20th, 2007, 01:54 AM
This is what I probably said in 2005, "We suck. You guys are going to destroy us. We're way too young to beat JMU, the #1 team in the land." That's how I feel this year. xwhistlex I hope your team has their guard down as well this Saturday xnodx . I hope we keep it interesting.

I wouldn't count on it.

bodoyle
September 20th, 2007, 08:03 AM
xeekx You do field 11 players on defense, right?

Awwww hell. I thought we were only allowed to field 8. Ok, ok, now watch out for us to stop the run! xlolx

bodoyle
September 20th, 2007, 08:04 AM

There are a good amount of fans that are making the trip from what I've been told.

Chants '07
September 20th, 2007, 07:41 PM
Will is a very good QB. They were working on a couple come back routes in practice last week, and and one of his picks Jerome was wrong not will. It's a read option and if they both don't read the same thing its a pick. Its hard to throw over the top when the corner is jamming at the line and the safety is playing 15-20 yards over the top. Will has a very good arm, it will just take he and the wideouts time to gell. But once they do the offense will be fine. The DEFENSE is the problem!!!

rokamortis
September 20th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I hope our team can improve and be ready for this game, but the Dukes are going to be extremely tough at home.

CCUCheer
September 21st, 2007, 12:19 AM

I'll be there! A few of the cheerleaders are flying up to JMU tomorrow with the football team. I'm looking forward to it. I do get a little nervous about traveling to "competitive" schools, I remember last year when we went to GSU, some of their fans threw food and stuff at us. Hopefully JMU won't be quite as bad, I have a few friends who go there. Anyways, Hope to see some of you there!

XoXo

<3 Katie :p

bodoyle
September 21st, 2007, 07:43 AM
Will is a very good QB. They were working on a couple come back routes in practice last week, and and one of his picks Jerome was wrong not will. It's a read option and if they both don't read the same thing its a pick. Its hard to throw over the top when the corner is jamming at the line and the safety is playing 15-20 yards over the top. Will has a very good arm, it will just take he and the wideouts time to gell. But once they do the offense will be fine. The DEFENSE is the problem!!!

But Will also has no clue how to (or just refuses to do it) successfully underthrow the deep ball where the WR is the only player who has a chance on the ball, and if he goes for it and can't grab it, it is PI on the DB/CB 8 times out of 10.

JMU2K_DukeDawg
September 21st, 2007, 09:47 AM
Quick DBs can make you pay badly on intentionally underthrown balls if the timing is just right.

Best of luck tomorrow, I hope we see many of you there!

JMU Duke Dog
September 21st, 2007, 11:26 AM
JMU's enterting 2007 starting running back Eugene Holloman may miss this game and potentially the entire season now. JMU may play heralded true freshman Scott Noble for the first time of his college career if Holloman is definitely out for the entire season.

http://dnronline.com/sports_details.php?AID=12345&CHID=3

JMU Duke Dog
September 21st, 2007, 11:33 AM
I'll be there! A few of the cheerleaders are flying up to JMU tomorrow with the football team. I'm looking forward to it. I do get a little nervous about traveling to "competitive" schools, I remember last year when we went to GSU, some of their fans threw food and stuff at us. Hopefully JMU won't be quite as bad, I have a few friends who go there. Anyways, Hope to see some of you there!

XoXo

No one should throw any food or anything for that matter at you all. Our student section sits behind the visitors' bench so you might hear some stuff being said from some drunk students. I hope you all have a good visit though!

th0m
September 21st, 2007, 11:39 AM
They did move the visiting section over though, right? So if the chear squad is in front of the visiting section, they should at least be a bit farther away from the student section.

JMU Duke Dog
September 21st, 2007, 11:42 AM
They did move the visiting section over though, right? So if the chear squad is in front of the visiting section, they should at least be a bit farther away from the student section.

Yes you are correct. They put a "buffer zone" of JMU ticket holders between the students and visiting section. This also means the visiting section is closer to one of the stadium's corners and further away from the visiting bench.

DunkandDukin
September 21st, 2007, 02:24 PM
There are a good amount of fans that are making the trip from what I've been told.

the fans making the trip up be sure to stop by the tailgate in spot #9 on the field lot. Shuold be a pretty big group and we typically enjoy meeting some of the opposition. Should be no shortage of food and Beverages also!xthumbsupx

Oh, and the weather is supposed to be perfect! can't wait...

blukeys
September 21st, 2007, 11:57 PM

XoXo

JMU folks don't throw food. they are too busy wolfing it down.;) ;)
Best of luck to you Katie. xthumbsupx