PDA

View Full Version : Any Drake Fans?

GaSouthern
September 18th, 2007, 04:50 PM
If so, good luck making this a dream season with a win this weekend, I know the FCS world will be watching xthumbsupx

Shockerman
September 18th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Not that anyone cares but I will be pulling for Drake, make the Valley proud Bulldogs!

crunifan
September 18th, 2007, 05:45 PM
Come on Shockerman, UNI is Valley too. You should root for us this weekend. I mean, wouldn't you rather see a Valley team stay in the top 5?

laparka316
September 18th, 2007, 05:50 PM
thanks... we're pretty banged up injury wise, especially on defense... we're going to need it

Shockerman
September 18th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Come on Shockerman, UNI is Valley too. You should root for us this weekend. I mean, wouldn't you rather see a Valley team stay in the top 5?

I know, I know. But you got to love the underdog, and Drake is a huge one this weekend. Maybe a win over UNI will inspire the Drake leadership enough to go scholly and join the Gateway...xthumbsupx

Pipe dream? Probably, but who knows what could happen, especially if San Diego sacks up first and joins the Great West.

grizband
September 18th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Not that anyone cares but I will be pulling for Drake, make the Valley proud Bulldogs!
I care, Shockerman....I care.

That said, Go Drake!

DUPFLFan
September 18th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Maybe a win over UNI will inspire the Drake leadership enough to go scholly and join the Gateway...xthumbsupx

That most likely will never happen....:( But thanks to all for the good wishes.

I would like to see a good game this weekend. The previous coaching staff never felt that the team was good enough and that translated into the mental state of the team. This coaching staff does not use the non-scholly as an excuse not to compete at this level. We'll see what happens

flyenhigh
September 18th, 2007, 10:01 PM
I am really pulling for Drake but I do not think its going to be close.

UNI beat Iowa State

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2007, 10:23 PM
Looking forward to a good time on Saturday. I don't forsee it being close, but hope for a good crowd and more attention on Drake and UNI in the state of Iowa.

Mountain Panther
September 18th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I am really pulling for Drake but I do not think its going to be close.

Since you are always right, then you must be right.

BearsCountry
September 18th, 2007, 10:42 PM
If Drake wins does that mean they are the best team in Iowa?

Drake > UNI > Iowa State > Iowa :)

Chi Panther
September 18th, 2007, 10:48 PM

YES!:D

PantherRob82
September 18th, 2007, 10:50 PM

that would be intense.

laparka316
September 19th, 2007, 12:03 AM
State Title Game here we come

FL connection
September 19th, 2007, 04:39 AM
That most likely will never happen....:( But thanks to all for the good wishes.

I would like to see a good game this weekend. The previous coaching staff never felt that the team was good enough and that translated into the mental state of the team. This coaching staff does not use the non-scholly as an excuse not to compete at this level. We'll see what happens

Why would you put down the old staff........I remember seeing them beat a pretty good South Florida team a few years back!!!! I think you're wrong in claiming old staff used non-schooly as an excuse.....still a little bitter Coach Ash left???? connection out!!!

RadMann
September 19th, 2007, 04:56 AM
I'm a big fan of Drake, especially the cherry pie and Yodels... ;)

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00032CRBA.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B00032CRB0.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

DetroitFlyer
September 19th, 2007, 07:29 AM
You have to know the PFL.... Like him or not, Jim Harbaugh showed the teams of the PFL that they can compete with ANY FCS team, regardless of the scholarship situation. Coach Ash, one of the best overall coaches in FCS by the way, did not believe this, and to be honest, many of the current PFL coaches do not believe it. Steve Loney, frankly, has nothing to lose.... He has set an expectation for Drake to compete and the team has responded. There is absolutely a strong mental aspect to this game. Teams like USD and Drake have attracted Division I talent in spite of not offereing athletic scholarships. Now, take that talent and inject some great coaching, and anything is possible. I am a Rob Ash fan, and I think he will excel at Montana State, but I have been very impressed with Steve Loney and the staff he has brought into Drake this year! I do not think that there is any question that Loney is getting more out of this team than Ash would had he stayed.... At least to this point in the season.

Going into the UNI game on Saturday, Drake is not a healthy team. The teams of the PFL are going to be more vulnerable to depth issues than the teams from the Gateway. Great coaching can only get you so far....

I expect this game to be very competitive and if Drake plays 100% mistake free ball, and UNI makes a few mistakes, Drake just might end up the State Champion of Iowa!

This game is just another indication how far the PFL has come. USD was absolutely expected to pound scholarship UNC, and now Drake is expected to be competitive in this game. Dayton is also expected to be competitive in their game with Fordham. GO DRAKE AND GO PFL!!!!!

mcveyrl
September 19th, 2007, 07:32 AM
This is a battle of two Top 25s in my poll. Drake doesn't have to win to stay, but they've gotta keep it close.

citdog
September 19th, 2007, 07:52 AM
maybe a loss will get this unworthy team out of the top 25. does ANYONE REALLY think they are one of the 25 best FCS teams in the country?

igo4uni
September 19th, 2007, 08:03 AM

Here's an article in the Des Moines Register talking about that very issue:
http://blogs.dmregister.com/?cat=74

Khan4Cats
September 19th, 2007, 08:26 AM
maybe a loss will get this unworthy team out of the top 25. does ANYONE REALLY think they are one of the 25 best FCS teams in the country?

I think Drake deserves a chance to be ranked based on their win over another top 25 team. Certainly more deserving than Eastern Illinois' 1 win over an OVC conference mate, or Cal-Poly's single win.
Will they stay? That depends on what happens Saturday. A blowout loss and they probably fall off for good. A win or even a close loss and they may win over some disbelievers.

I hope the UNI players stay focused and are able to send a message as to just how good they are. I'd hate to have to listen to Drake claim a state title in football as well basketball from last year.

DUPFLFan
September 19th, 2007, 08:28 AM
Why would you put down the old staff........I remember seeing them beat a pretty good South Florida team a few years back!!!! I think you're wrong in claiming old staff used non-schooly as an excuse.....still a little bitter Coach Ash left???? connection out!!!

FL - not bitter. Glad... My son is on the team and I know what the mentality was... Did you hear or read his exit speech? How Drake could not make the playoffs or compete?

That is not what I or the team wanted to hear from their head coach and it just proved with his words how he felt in practice...

pantherfan
September 19th, 2007, 01:36 PM

Not even close. The PFL is NOT competitive with 90% of FCS teams. Drake and UNI are on two different levels IMO. IF somehow Drake keeps this game competitive, then my opinion might change, but I have a feeling this won't be happening on Saturday afternoon. UNI is legitimately a top 2 or 3 FCS team, and MIGHT not be all that far behind ASU at this point in the season (crosses fingers that we make the playoffs AND are on the other side of the bracket from the Booners...). Is this to say that Drake isn't a good team? Absolutely not. BUT they are nowhere near a top 25 FCS team NOR are they as good as UNI. Some folks have been talking about this being a potential upset and others have said that they think Drake will hang with UNI. I'm not as optimistic for Drake.

UNI 52
DU 17 xnonox

DetroitFlyer
September 19th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Don't you think that ISU fans felt the same way?

pantherfan
September 19th, 2007, 01:45 PM
Don't you think that ISU fans felt the same way?

Absolutely not. The majority of ISU fans knew darn well that UNI was either going to give them a game or beat them. UNI fans knew full well that we were going to walk in the front door and leave with a W.xtwocentsx

DetroitFlyer
September 19th, 2007, 01:48 PM
I meant the ISU fans before the Drake / ISU game. Let's face it, even the most optimistic Drake and PFL fans did not think that Drake would defeat Illinois State University on their home field. I'm virtually certain that the ISU fans all thought Drake would be a nice scrimmage to start the season. Well, Drake rolled into Illinois and won! Is it that far fetched to think that Drake could not do it again on their home field?

lizrdgizrd
September 19th, 2007, 01:50 PM
This game is just another indication how far the PFL has come. USD was absolutely expected to pound scholarship UNC, and now Drake is expected to be competitive in this game. Dayton is also expected to be competitive in their game with Fordham. GO DRAKE AND GO PFL!!!!!
I know you're a big PFL fan, but touting USD's expected beatdown of UNC is not really what you make it out to be. UNC is a horrible, horrible team with or without scholarships. I don't know if it's due to lack of talent or lack of coaching, but they've proven they're not ready for DI football.

Model Citizen
September 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
FL - not bitter. Glad... My son is on the team and I know what the mentality was... Did you hear or read his exit speech? How Drake could not make the playoffs or compete?

That is not what I or the team wanted to hear from their head coach and it just proved with his words how he felt in practice...

Yet Drake played Gateways throughout Ash's tenure at Drake. What's up with that?

DUPFLFan
September 19th, 2007, 02:17 PM
Yet Drake played Gateways throughout Ash's tenure at Drake. What's up with that?

He wanted one game to be tougher than any PFL game, also to get a paycheck game - he had no expectation of winning.

Model Citizen
September 19th, 2007, 02:27 PM
I can understand the allure of money. Must've paid a lot of bills, eh?

cats2506
September 19th, 2007, 02:47 PM

I didnt read Coach Ash's exit speech but I did read what he said when he came to MSU. He said that after watching San Diego go undefeated and NOT get into the playoffs he felt that a non-scholly team playing a non-scholly conference had no chance getting into the playoffs no matter how good the team was. He felt that the Drake teams could compete but would never get the playoff oppertunity. At the same time he saw MSU get into the playoffs at 7-4 and win the first round. After looking at it he felt he wanted to move to a place that had more oppertunity at postseason play.

I am paraphrasing the article that I read some time ago but that is how I remember his statment.

BTW we are very happy with coach Ash at Montana St.

DUPFLFan
September 19th, 2007, 03:11 PM
BTW we are very happy with coach Ash at Montana St.

Coach Ash, Plossl and Marshall are good guys. I am just commenting on the mental state of the team - not whether they are good coaches or not.

I will continue to root for his sucess at Montana St.

DUPFLFan
September 19th, 2007, 03:12 PM
I can understand the allure of money. Must've paid a lot of bills, eh?

It helped with the travel expenses to SD, Davidson, Morehead State and Jacksonville...

crunifan
September 19th, 2007, 05:43 PM
There is only one way that Drake stays in this game. And that is if the Drake players come out pumped, UNI players come out expecting to win (therefore sloppy and unfocused), and UNI allows Drake to get comfortable.

Bottom line is, UNI is a more talented team. If both teams play to their potential, Drake is going to have a VERY VERY long afternoon. But, that is why we play the game.

nmatsen
September 19th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Not even close. The PFL is NOT competitive with 90% of FCS teams. Drake and UNI are on two different levels IMO. IF somehow Drake keeps this game competitive, then my opinion might change, but I have a feeling this won't be happening on Saturday afternoon. UNI is legitimately a top 2 or 3 FCS team, and MIGHT not be all that far behind ASU at this point in the season (crosses fingers that we make the playoffs AND are on the other side of the bracket from the Booners...). Is this to say that Drake isn't a good team? Absolutely not. BUT they are nowhere near a top 25 FCS team NOR are they as good as UNI. Some folks have been talking about this being a potential upset and others have said that they think Drake will hang with UNI. I'm not as optimistic for Drake.

UNI 52
DU 17 xnonox

DUPLFan where you at? If I would say something like this (I do agree with everything he says by the way) you would have busted my chops about how they are the same level and how much smarter Drake players are than UNI players and how awesome your graduation rate is. What gives?

FL connection
September 19th, 2007, 10:07 PM

Sounds as if both parties are better off.......

DUPFLFan
September 20th, 2007, 10:06 AM
DUPLFan where you at? If I would say something like this (I do agree with everything he says by the way) you would have busted my chops about how they are the same level and how much smarter Drake players are than UNI players and how awesome your graduation rate is. What gives?

nmatsen, I am here and reading...

UNI is (in my opinion) the #2 team in 1-aa (I did vote that way in the AGS Poll) so it is hard for me to disagree on that score.

Taking emotion out of it, if an unranked team was playing # 2, you would expect that #2 would win. But... Any given saturday...

As I have written here, I think that the team never felt that they had a chance before. I think this time, they feel that they have a chance to make this a good game. Win? Who knows... One thing, I know, they won't be able to sneak up on UNI like they did ISU.

Now the question of whether Drake (or any PFL team) is worthy of a top 25 bid or a bid to the playoffs...

I think that Drake has created a schedule this year that is a good one. Their play on the field must take care of the rest. My feeling is that if they can make a good showing on Saturday, say keep it within 7 points, then the case should be made for them.

lizrdgizrd
September 20th, 2007, 10:12 AM

UNI is (in my opinion) the #2 team in 1-aa (I did vote that way in the AGS Poll) so it is hard for me to disagree on that score.

Taking emotion out of it, if an unranked team was playing # 2, you would expect that #2 would win. But... Any given saturday...

As I have written here, I think that the team never felt that they had a chance before. I think this time, they feel that they have a chance to make this a good game. Win? Who knows... One thing, I know, they won't be able to sneak up on UNI like they did ISU.

Now the question of whether Drake (or any PFL team) is worthy of a top 25 bid or a bid to the playoffs...

I think that Drake has created a schedule this year that is a good one. Their play on the field must take care of the rest. My feeling is that if they can make a good showing on Saturday, say keep it within 7 points, then the case should be made for them.
If Drake takes UNI to the wire and wins out, I think Drake would have a decent chance to make the playoffs. If they beat UNI and win out I think you'll only miss if there are too many 9-2 teams.

pantherfan
September 20th, 2007, 10:13 AM

If Drake keeps this game within 20 points, they have proven to me that they have a solid team. And that is not meant as smack, but reality...xcoffeex

citdog
September 20th, 2007, 10:14 AM

PLAYOFFS! where is Jim Mora when you need him!

Mountain Panther
September 20th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Although it's always hard to see a Gateway team fall, I am happy Drake beat Ill. State. Our players will be more focused this way. And if they're not focused, our coaches will FOCUS them. xthumbsupx

http://www.panthermania.net/coppermine/albums/football/083106mp_uni_drake_fb_5.jpg

Cap'n Cat
September 20th, 2007, 02:46 PM
Cap'n Cat in attendance,

UNI 42
Drake 13

xcoffeex

DUPFLFan
September 20th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Cap'n Cat in attendance,

UNI 42
Drake 13

xcoffeex

Cat... stop by the DU tailgate - DUmom will be running the Drake one at the east end of the tennis center... could be a brew in it for you...xthumbsupx

nmatsen
September 20th, 2007, 06:01 PM
Cap'n Cat in attendance,

UNI 42
Drake 13

xcoffeex

Cap, its Jeg, send me your email or phone over pm here or at p-nation so we can enjoy some beverages!xsmiley_wix

Cap'n Cat
September 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Cap, its Jeg, send me your email or phone over pm here or at p-nation so we can enjoy some beverages!xsmiley_wix

Cat... stop by the DU tailgate - DUmom will be running the Drake one at the east end of the tennis center... could be a brew in it for you...xthumbsupx

Will do, guys, when you starting up? It's a haul from MPLS; thinking of getting there noon to 1. Game's at four, right?

I'll PM celly to both of you.

Look for the tall good-looking guy in the purple UNI/Cap'n Cat shirt, trolling for women with the Little Cats, similarly garbed.

:D

JDC325
September 20th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Cap'n Cat in attendance,

UNI 42
Drake 13

xcoffeex

I knew I would eventually agree with you on something. xthumbsupx

Blue42
September 20th, 2007, 08:35 PM
If Drake could get three picks and a tipped ball 50 yd 4th quarter TD like they did at ISU, it could be a game. Otherwise I think the Panthers take it with a methodical effort like 2006.

Don't look for too big of a score gap. Drake helped UNI out by scheduling this game to begin with.

I'll call it at UNI 38 Drake 17.

nmatsen
September 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I think Farley will realize the importance of this game. Whether a lot of us agree with it or not Drake is looked at as a top 25 team (for now) and at the end of the year if they finish 10-1 they should have a strong argument to finish the year in the top 25. That being said Farley knows that if can run the score up and make the stats look un-comparable that could help us when it comes time for play-off seeding. I also hear that Drake's defense is pretty banged up.

Cap'n Cat
September 20th, 2007, 09:24 PM
I think Farley will realize the importance of this game. Whether a lot of us agree with it or not Drake is looked at as a top 25 team (for now) and at the end of the year if they finish 10-1 they should have a strong argument to finish the year in the top 25. That being said Farley knows that if can run the score up and make the stats look un-comparable that could help us when it comes time for play-off seeding. I also hear that Drake's defense is pretty banged up.

Jeg,
PM me directions and/or a map to their stadium, will ya? I'll be coming from MN.

:)

Cap'n Cat
September 20th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Jeg,
PM me directions and/or a map to their stadium, will ya? I'll be coming from MN.

Nevermind, I got off my fat ass and MapQuested it. Looks like 35 to 235, then look for signs.

Let me know where you guys will be partying.

DUPFLFan
September 21st, 2007, 03:25 PM
Capt..

235 to 31st- turn north to forest, turn right and go just past the Knapp Center... We will be at the tennis center parking lot which is north of the Knapp Center parking lot...

laparka316
September 21st, 2007, 05:15 PM
Tailgate up a storm for me Panther and Bulldog fans!

Tod
September 21st, 2007, 05:41 PM
Will do, guys, when you starting up? It's a haul from MPLS; thinking of getting there noon to 1. Game's at four, right?

I'll PM celly to both of you.

Look for the tall good-looking guy in the purple UNI/Cap'n Cat shirt, trolling for women with the Little Cats, similarly garbed.

You bringing D1B with you? ;)

Cap'n Cat
September 21st, 2007, 08:27 PM
You bringing D1B with you? ;)

F you.

blukeys
September 21st, 2007, 11:35 PM
I'm going with the over dog in this one. Go UNI!!

Cap'n Cat
September 23rd, 2007, 10:43 AM
Ahem...............

PantherRob82
September 23rd, 2007, 11:27 AM
Good seeing you Cap'n. Nice meeting you DUPFLFan.

DUPFLFan
September 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
It was good to meet PantherRob, Back2back, old cat and especially Cap't cat...

Sorry we couldn't make it a better game - mistakes against a team like UNI give you NO shot...

Hope y'all run the table...

igo4uni
September 23rd, 2007, 09:25 PM
especially Cap't cat...

He looks like Brad Pitt.

:D :D :D :D