PDA

View Full Version : only one other FBS has been beaten by a FCS?

Freightliner
September 18th, 2007, 11:30 AM
Fellow FCS members...time to step up...

I was reading the Austin American Statesman on UT's upcoming game with Rice and found this quote from an article http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/18/0918golden.html

"A blowout is mandatory over Rice. Why? Remember I-AA champion Appalachian State's upset win over No. 5 Michigan in the season opener? Of the other 118 schools in I-A, only one, just one, lost to a I-AA school. I'll give you one guess. Yep, the Rice Owls lost 16-14 to Nicholls State on a blocked punt that rolled out of the end zone for a safety."

Hmm...did this guy forget about Northern Iowa? New Hampshire? McNeese?

feel free to fire away at this clown.... his e-mail is listed at the bottom of the article.

putter
September 18th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Was he talking about that one weekend or the whole season so far?

AZGrizFan
September 18th, 2007, 11:43 AM
Fellow FCS members...time to step up...

I was reading the Austin American Statesman on UT's upcoming game with Rice and found this quote from an article http://www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/longhorns/09/18/0918golden.html

"A blowout is mandatory over Rice. Why? Remember I-AA champion Appalachian State's upset win over No. 5 Michigan in the season opener? Of the other 118 schools in I-A, only one, just one, lost to a I-AA school. I'll give you one guess. Yep, the Rice Owls lost 16-14 to Nicholls State on a blocked punt that rolled out of the end zone for a safety."

Hmm...did this guy forget about Northern Iowa? New Hampshire? McNeese?

feel free to fire away at this clown.... his e-mail is listed at the bottom of the article.

Perhaps he meant on that same day? xconfusedx xeyebrowx

Freightliner
September 18th, 2007, 11:45 AM
Was he talking about that one weekend or the whole season so far?

By the look of it....season in general.

henfan
September 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM
American sportswriters and, in particular, their editors are just so professionally lazy that it's mind-boggling.

Freightliner
September 18th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Well, I e-mailed him and he responded like I thought he would.

He was referring to the first week.

what a copout.

Seahawks Fan
September 18th, 2007, 01:36 PM

what a copout.

Is he right about the first week?

TheBisonator
September 18th, 2007, 01:43 PM
Nicholls State beat Rice on the same day as the App State win, but I don't know if he was referring to the context of that one day. But yes, there were four other FCS wins over FBS teams after 9/1.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 02:01 PM

what a copout.
That's what I got from him too. Here's how I responded:

Ok, then your point is further off than I thought. If you're going to rag on Rice for loosing to an FCS team that week then you can't bring all 118 other FBS teams into the mix because they didn't all play FCS teams. There were 22 I-A teams playing I-AA teams that week. If you'd like to fact-check anything related to FCS football in the future, I'm sure the folks over at AnyGivenSaturday.com would be happy to help.

texcap
September 18th, 2007, 03:13 PM
Ask him how his highly ranked "Whorns" were doing on that same day? If I remember they had to have the Big XII officials blow a call on an onsides kick to help them preserve a victory over highly regarded Arkansas State.