PDA

View Full Version : Big Games for two NEC Teams

seahawkfan2007
September 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Central Conn is at Western Michigan which is the first NEC match up vs. an FBS Bowl team ever. Albany is at Montana vs. the #2 ranked FCS team. Does either have a chance to win?

rmutv
September 17th, 2007, 09:14 PM
Albany has the best chance to win, although CCSU's running game is mighty impressive.

I don't think either does, but Albany has a better chance of upsetting the Griz than the Blue Devils have at upsetting WMU.

YaleFootballFan
September 17th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Best of luck to our fellow Nutmeggers from the north, the CCSU Blue Devils! xthumbsupx

aceinthehole
September 17th, 2007, 09:43 PM
I'm very excited, yet pretty nervous about our matchup. First the obvious about CCSU:

- We have only about 20 schollys this year.
- We have a strong rushing game for a I-AA team, but a very limited pass offense.
- We have a solid I-AA defensive front, but a smaller secondary.
- We lost a close one to Towson and rolled over 2 D-II teams.

Now, WMU is 0-3 heading into this game under a new head coach, but this team was in a Bowl Game last year. 2 of their 3 losses are to Top-25 I-A teams (#5 WVU and #25 Mizzou), plus they lost to an improving Indiana team. Of couse they also have 85 schollys. Without a guy like Hariston, we probabaly don't even have 1 player that is a legit I-A talent. Sure we are a good I-AA team and have comparable talent to some top-tier FCS squads, but we lack even their depth. This is a big bite, and we may have bit off more than we can chew.

Think about this, App St. went into the Big House with 24 less schollys than Michigan. UNH played Marshall with only 24 less schollys than the Herd. We head to Kalamazoo with 65 less schollys! I still haven't figured out why they took this game. I have yet to read of any other I-A games vs. a "non-counter" in the past 10 years.

I think (hope) we can keep this game close early on if we can rush effectively, but I fear they can pick us apart in the passing game and wear us down in the 2nd half. Bluntly if we keep the final score to within 28 points, I'd call it a moral victory.

Go Blue Devils!

BobbyMo
September 17th, 2007, 09:52 PM
I hope both teams win, though i doubt either will. Hopefully they will play hard represent the NEC well.

seahawkfan2007
September 17th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Good analysis Aceinthehole. Hoping CCSU and Albany makes some noise this week.

Ruler 79
September 18th, 2007, 08:27 AM
I believe both teams will be beaten. UA will be less severe IMHO only due to the fact that UA will match up well size wise(not that it will be close.)but as somebody said Montana's front 7 will be far superior athletically. Their o-line will be VERY big and their rb is a stud.

What concerns me for CCSU is they are a small speed team not a power team. They were smaller then Towson and I shudder to think of the size differential with a 1A (yeah I said 1A) team! Even though WM is 0-3 they would soundly beat Towson like a red headed stepchild(no offense to Towson or red heads) and will do the same to CCSU. I hope I am dead wrong a a shocker occurs. They have 85 full rides and are 2 deep full of scholarships to CCSU's 20 divided among 40 players...OUCH!

Predictions:

Montana 35
UA 13

WMU 65
CCSU 10

Seahawks Fan
September 18th, 2007, 08:47 AM
I agree Albany has the better shot at a win. But it will be tough. Hopefully both schools keep it competitive and make us proud.

aceinthehole
September 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM
CCSU Game Notes for WMU: https://admin.xosn.com/fls/17600//football%20game%20notes/ccsunotes.pdf

Couple of interesting tidbits:

- With Justise Hariston last year we led I-AA teams in rushing; so far this year we are 2nd in the nation in rushing behind Georgia Southern.

- CCSU is tied with UMass for the 6th longest home winning streak in the nation at 10 games (App. St. is 1st with 29 straight home wins).

- CCSU has not thrown an INT through 3 games (48 attempts) this season; last year we threw just 3 INTs in 131 attempts.

- CCSU has 6 INTS in three games and is +5 in turnover margin this year.

---

With a listed capacity of 30,200 at Waldo Stadium in Kalamazoo, MI this will be the largest stadium CCSU has ever played in.

To date, the largest crowd ever to watch a CCSU game is 20,178 (set at Georgia Southern last year).

TigerFan17
September 18th, 2007, 10:46 AM
I have yet to read of any other I-A games vs. a "non-counter" in the past 10 years.

Go Blue Devils!

Stanford scheduled a "non-counter" game quite recently and lost. Oh how the Cardinal have fallen.

Anyhow, GO CCSU!!! I'll be rooting for you!

xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

Griz0383
September 18th, 2007, 05:04 PM
I am looking foward to the Albany Game!! Any Albany fans traveling to Missoula? Most agree that apposing teams fans are treated very well and welcome to share drinks at local taverns. Personaly I always meet at Red's Bar for drinks on friday and on Sat morning we meet again to have our hang over recovery cocktails to get us happy again and put our game faces on!! We then ride the Reds bar Buses to the game since it is the easiest method of transportation!!! Hope to see some Albany fans!!! GO GRIZ

danefan
September 18th, 2007, 05:13 PM
wish i could but its not such a cheap flight from Albany to Missoula. The chartered trip for fans was $1100 a person and only included about 36 hours of boots on ground time.
too bad because I would have loved to go back to Missoula as a spectator this year after playing in 2002.

Seawolf97
September 18th, 2007, 08:25 PM
I wish the Great Danes and the Blue Devils well. They both have an uphill battle in front of them but it should be great for their programs in the long run-and the players.xthumbsupx xthumbsupx