PDA

View Full Version : Eastern Kentucky vs Jacksonville State

Gamecocks99
September 17th, 2007, 01:55 PM
How do you guys think Jacksonville State stacks up against Eastern Kentucky this Saturday ?

Maroons
September 17th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Both teams seem to have major flaws. Being the home team might give JSU the edge.

JaxSinfonian
September 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Both teams coming in at 1-2, both with losses to a I-A and an in-state opponent, and each with a win over a lower-tier SoCon squad.

Eastern seems to have the better running game, for a change, though JSU's backfield just got a bit of a facelift, with sophomore tailback Shawn Green coming out of what was to be a redshirt season. He won't make much difference, though, unless the offensive line can start making some holes for him and the other backs to run through.

JSU's defense may hold up well against Washington & Dunn in the early going, but I don't know how long that will last. The Gamecocks have been burned on big pass plays by everybody we've faced this season. I take it from the stats we won't see the Colonels take to the air much on Saturday?

The new starting QB for JSU seems to have made a difference in the Gamecocks' offense, if anything can be determined from the loss to Memphis. This will be our first chance to see how the offense under Johnson matches up against a team on our level.

If there's one thing I've learned from our short time in the OVC, it's this: the team that can run it down your throat and stop opponents from doing the same tends to win the day. Given that and looking at the stats, I would give the edge to EKU.

That is, I would, but I don't pick against Jax State. 35-28 Gamecocks in a contest where the lead keeps changing, and in which Cedric Johnson's creativity makes the difference in the end.

There. Almost sounded like I know what I'm talking about.

Hope to see lots of Colonels fans on Saturday.

Gamecocks99
September 19th, 2007, 10:32 AM
Both teams coming in at 1-2, both with losses to a I-A and an in-state opponent, and each with a win over a lower-tier SoCon squad.

Eastern seems to have the better running game, for a change, though JSU's backfield just got a bit of a facelift, with sophomore tailback Shawn Green coming out of what was to be a redshirt season. He won't make much difference, though, unless the offensive line can start making some holes for him and the other backs to run through.

JSU's defense may hold up well against Washington & Dunn in the early going, but I don't know how long that will last. The Gamecocks have been burned on big pass plays by everybody we've faced this season. I take it from the stats we won't see the Colonels take to the air much on Saturday?

The new starting QB for JSU seems to have made a difference in the Gamecocks' offense, if anything can be determined from the loss to Memphis. This will be our first chance to see how the offense under Johnson matches up against a team on our level.

If there's one thing I've learned from our short time in the OVC, it's this: the team that can run it down your throat and stop opponents from doing the same tends to win the day. Given that and looking at the stats, I would give the edge to EKU.

That is, I would, but I don't pick against Jax State. 35-28 Gamecocks in a contest where the lead keeps changing, and in which Cedric Johnson's creativity makes the difference in the end.

There. Almost sounded like I know what I'm talking about.

Hope to see lots of Colonels fans on Saturday.

Wow ! Jax, I think they need to move you over to Sports and help out Ole AL. I miss The OVC Football Blog. You did a great job with the it. The OVC Football Blog filled a News void in the FCS World I'm hungry for OVC coverage and there is not much to munch on these days.
You get a blip here and blip there from the B'ham TV Stations and several weekly articles from AL. Other than that there is not any day in day out coverage of OVC Football Like you were doing. Sounds like maybe you might miss it a little? I know that I miss you doing.

Thanks for all of your hard work in the past.

ekufbfan
September 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
As much as I hate to say it, we have stunk it up, at least we have so far this season. xeyebrowx
If we can pull out a win, no one will be happier than me! Here's hoping, EKU by a least a TD.

EKU05
September 19th, 2007, 07:41 PM
We do have a good running game, but if Jax has been getting burned through the air then we should mix it up at least a little bit so that they can't cheat towards the line to help stop the dynamic duo of Dunn and Washington.

I'll go with the Colonels 24-17.

Gamecocks99
September 20th, 2007, 01:43 PM
I pick the home team 26-17. I think our team will come together this week. I'm keeping the Faith ! xsmiley_wix xnodx

nothingbutjsu
September 20th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Being home helps JSU 31 EKU 17

Cocky
September 20th, 2007, 07:34 PM
JSU 17
EKU 16

EKU05
September 20th, 2007, 08:10 PM
I hope the game is less JSU dominated than this thread is. I really think this is going to be a very good game guys...and a very important one for both teams.

Gamecocks99
September 21st, 2007, 08:56 AM
Colonels prep for cockfight

http://media.www.easternprogress.com/media/storage/paper419/news/2007/09/20/Sports/Colonels.Prep.For.Cockfight-2978701.shtml

Entering conference play, Jacksonville State (1-2) hosts Eastern (1-2) with each team still searching for the missing link.

Last year's 28-0 shutout was a defensive clinic courtesy of the Gamecocks holding Eastern to only 114 yards of total offense.

Star running back Clay Green graduated from Jacksonville State creating the team's missing link, totaling 137 yards on the ground in last year's face off.

With a career rushing total of 2,835 yards, Green was the Gamecocks' offensive leader and juggernaut last year.

Jacksonville State's leading rusher against Memphis was quarterback Cedric Johnson who gained 81 yards and collected 214 yards. Saturday will be Johnson's first career start.

Eastern's missing link would be the defense that has yet to prove itself reliable, allowing 466 yards per game.

"We haven't hit everything on all cylinders, but when we do, I think we'll be pretty good," Head Coach Danny Hope said.

With the gamecocks putting up a season high of 392 yards last game against Memphis, Eastern's defense will have its hands full.

Colonels senior running back Mark Dunn leads the rushing attack at 78.3 yards per game, almost surpassing Eastern's total passing attack at 87.7 yards per game.. Junior Alan Holland is the confirmed starting quarterback. Senior Josh Greco was in for one play against Western, He threw an interception and was not put back in the game.

"It's not just one man's job… we've had instances of each man doing their job at a time; we just have to put it together," sophomore Offensive Tackle Derek Hardman said.

Eastern leans on the run, with seniors Dunn and Bobby Washington to secure yardage. Neither have had one fumble this year.

The Gamecocks have a sound defense, totaling seven turnovers in the last three games. A weakness Eastern may be able to take advantage of is the 149.3 yards per game given up.

"They're much like they've been in the past, they run the same defense… they're very similar to Western Kentucky defense," Hope said.

The Gamecocks have mixed their traditional power offense with a spread attack implemented by their new offensive coordinator.

Eastern's defense also has a challenge in containing a quarterback who isn't afraid to run.

"You have to prepare defensively for the spread offense and the power offense," Hope said.

Eastern kicked off its season with a horrible defeat at the hands of the Wildcats 50-10. Just that next week, it seemed Eastern needed to vent and did so on the Western Carolina Catamounts as the Colonels won 45-21.

With last week's loss to arch rival Western 26-6, the Colonels may be looking to vent again.

Page 1 of 1