19. Hofstra
20. Montana St.
21. Cal Poly
22. Eastern Illinois
23. Lafayette
24. Drake
25. Western Illinois

Dropped out: 22. Towson, 24. Delaware State

Others receiving votes (minimum of 5 votes): Towson (45), The Citadel (43), Delaware St. (39), Georgia Southern (36), Villanova (23), Alabama A&M (17), Richmond (15), Northern Arizona (13), Lehigh (12), Missouri St. (11), William & Mary (11), Alabama St. (9), Eastern Washington (9), San Diego (9), Portland St. (7), Texas St. (7), South Carolina St. (6), Southern (6)

MOST SIGNIFICANT WIN OF THE WEEK: New Hampshire
MOST SIGNIFICANT LOSS OF THE WEEK: Eastern Illinois

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Alright Drake! xpeacex

89Hen
September 17th, 2007, 12:12 PM
Alright Drake! xpeacex
Squeaky wheel? xsmiley_wix I've had them in my ballot for three weeks.

HensRock
September 17th, 2007, 12:14 PM
Drake Bulldogs!
xbowx xbowx xbowx

Khan4Cats
September 17th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Congrats to Drake.

Thus starts a stretch of 5 straight games against teams currently ranked.

Drake, Illinois State, Southern Illinois, Western Illinois, Youngstown State (at least we get SIU and YSU at home).

bluehenbillk
September 17th, 2007, 12:17 PM
More evidence of why polls shouldn't come out until 10/1:

6 Over-Rated Teams:

Wofford at 12 (you have to play close against a pathetic NC State team)
Hampton at 13 (grossly overrated - see MEAC postseason record)
Illinois St at 14 (Drake?)
Furman at 16 (2 loss team still ahead of Hofstra???)
Yale at 17 (play somebody)
Cal Poly at 21 (beat somebody)

putter
September 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM
6 Over-Rated Teams:

I agree. My bottom teams are sometimes a fill-in as to who has better losses than other teams.

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 12:23 PM

6 Over-Rated Teams:

you can add Montana to your list as well

HIU 93
September 17th, 2007, 12:28 PM

6 Over-Rated Teams:

The last time I checked, the postseason was WELL after Oct. 1, so what's your point?

pantherclaw

Ohhh you just got yourself the top spot on the Montana fan's list.

DetroitFlyer
Congratulations to Drake for some long overdue recognition!!!! Still dissapointed that Yale is ranked while USD is around #38.... Maybe you all forgot that USD was ranked for much of last season AND is 3-0 this year? Yale is 1-0 with a victory over powerhouse Georgetown? Is this a poll of the top 25 teams or a popularity contest? On what possible basis could Yale be ranked higher than USD at this point of the season? Pure, 100% bias.... No other reason IMHO!

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2007, 12:30 PM
Congratulations to Drake for some long overdue recognition!!!! Still dissapointed that Yale is ranked while USD is around #38.... Maybe you all forgot that USD was ranked for much of last season AND is 3-0 this year? Yale is 1-0 with a victory over powerhouse Georgetown? Is this a poll of the top 25 teams or a popularity contest? On what possible basis could Yale be ranked higher than USD at this point of the season? Pure, 100% bias.... No other reason IMHO!

Yale's win over Georgetown was a lot better than San Diego's three wins over Northern Colorado, Marist, and Azusa Pacific.

MSUBear42
September 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Just glad MSU didn't fall completely off the chart with the KState loss, hopefully we can gain some votes back with a win vs. UCA.

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 12:31 PM

As opposed to the three victories by USD over powerhouse teams? xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

Jesus. I've come to the conclusion you'd bitch if you were hung with a new rope. xsmhx xcoolx

nmatsen
September 17th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I know I will catch heat for this but I will say it anyway. Although I am happy that we will be beating a top 25 school this Saturday in Drake it is ridiculous that they are in the top 25. They upset Il State which was a good win, the biggest fluke play I have ever seen at the I-AA level, yet none the less a good win. Other than that they have defeated a team that was a junior college when I went to high school, less than ten years ago and a division three school, by less than three touchdowns. Right now there are at least, AT LEAST, 30 teams not in the top 25 that would beat Drake. I hate polls!

I thought they were FCS Mid Major? How can they be in two polls. When we beat Drake can we get votes in the Mid Major poll? I wouldn't really want any but make up your mind. What do you want here?

putter
September 17th, 2007, 12:34 PM

I don't have Montana at 2 but they are in the top 5

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 12:38 PM

Ohhh you just got yourself the top spot on the Montana fan's list.

Why? He's always been about 5 points higher on the IQ scale than DaveK. This just confirms it. ;)

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I don't have Montana at 2 but they are in the top 5

I have them at #5. I know the Griz are good but #2 is probably a little lofty considering the schedule.

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 12:41 PM
great to see Drake in the top 25, but I think the close win this week hurts any chances of a post season spot even with a win at Northern Iowa... I think they needed to blow out the sub Div I opponents.

putter
September 17th, 2007, 12:42 PM
I have them at #5. I know the Griz are good but #2 is probably a little lofty considering the schedule.

That is where I have them and have had them since the pre-season. I want to see how our O-Line developes and Bergquist matures before putting then ahead of UMass, NDSU, etc.

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 12:47 PM

So, if you KNOW they're good, and you have them @ #5, why should he add them to his list of overrated teams? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

DUPFLFan
September 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I thought they were FCS Mid Major? How can they be in two polls. When we beat Drake can we get votes in the Mid Major poll? I wouldn't really want any but make up your mind. What do you want here?

nmatsen - let us try and repeat it for you. THERE IS NO MID-MAJOR. The mid major designation is a made up term so someone can get their poll recognized. NCAA ONLY RECOGNIZES DIVISION 1 FBS and FCS - and DRAKE IS AN FCS TEAM - regardless of whether you agree or not.

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 12:56 PM
So, if you KNOW they're good, and you have them @ #5, why should he add them to his list of overrated teams? xconfusedx xconfusedx xconfusedx

At this point they are a bit overrated at #2, they aren't Hampton overrated but I'd just like to see some other teams get some credit for playing and beating better competition.

Ronbo
September 17th, 2007, 12:57 PM

We are a (12-2) 2006 #3 team with 19 returning starters. Also add to those returning starters a Payton candidate RB and a Pro prospect O-Lineman that started at Oklahoma. Now until someone beats us you cannot claim we are overrated.xnonox When someone beats us then you can crow.xnodx

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 12:58 PM
We are a (12-2) 2006 #3 team with 19 returning starters. Also add to those returning starters a Payton candidate RB and a Pro prospect O-Lineman that started at Oklahoma. Now until someone beats us you cannot claim we are overrated.xnonox When someone beats us then you can crow.xnodx

Call me when you play somebody...

terrierbob
September 17th, 2007, 12:59 PM
I think we're overrated, too. We had 3-4 turnovers and 100+ yards in penalties against State. Although we out-gained them, we out-mistaked them, too.

OL FU
September 17th, 2007, 01:04 PM
In my opinion unless someone else has really shined it is hard to lower a team when they have done exactly what they were suppose to do. I will use Wofford as an example. Not an overly tough first two games but they won. Lost to an NC State team which was expected (I know some people think they should have played closer but let's face it, it is difficult to gauge teams against BCS teams even bad ones). So you had them rated high in the pre-season and they are 2-1 which is exactly where you expected them to be after three games and you are now suppose to lower their rankingxeyebrowx

OL FU
Furman on the other handxrolleyesx

Ronbo
Call me when you play somebody...

Call me when you prove your a top 5 team. So far you have been unimpressive against the Southland. A Conference we own. We beat McNeese 31-6, a team much better SFA and SHSU.xsmiley_wix

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I agree. Drake needs to blow out the weaker teams to show their dominance. That win hurt them more than it helped them.

great to see Drake in the top 25, but I think the close win this week hurts any chances of a post season spot even with a win at Northern Iowa... I think they needed to blow out the sub Div I opponents.

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
In my opinion unless someone else has really shined it is hard to lower a team when they have done exactly what they were suppose to do. I will use Wofford as an example. Not an overly tough first two games but they won. Lost to an NC State team which was expected (I know some people think they should have played closer but let's face it, it is difficult to gauge teams against BCS teams even bad ones). So you had them rated high in the pre-season and they are 2-1 which is exactly where you expected them to be after three games and you are now suppose to lower their rankingxeyebrowx

I'm in the same bind, I have Wofford at #12 and they just had nowhere to go since nobody behind them gave me a reason to drop them. Sure I could vault a team up but the team that would have moved up also had a bad loss to an FBS.

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 01:10 PM
SHAME!

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 01:12 PM
SHAME!

I had your boys #22

DetroitFlyer
September 17th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Yale: 1-0 with a win over PL Georgetown. Ranked at #17.

San Diego: 3-0 with wins over Azusa Pacific, Marist, and Northern Colorado. Barely on the radar. ( #38 if you count that far down ).

Convince me why Yale should be ranked, while USD is barely on the radar.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/fbt07.htm

According to Jeff Sagarin, Georgetown is ranked 100 / 122 in FCS. UNC is 84/100 in FCS. Marist is 116/122 is FCS.

So, at the very least, USD has defeated the #84 team, while Yale has defeated the #100 team....

I simply do not see a leg to stand on here other than tradition and bias. Try to convince me that I am wrong!

HIU 93
September 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM

San Diego: 3-0 with wins over Azusa Pacific, Marist, and Northern Colorado. Barely on the radar. ( #38 if you count that far down ).

According to Jeff Sagarin, Georgetown is ranked 100 / 122 in FCS. UNC is 84/100 in FCS. Marist is 116/122 is FCS.

So, at the very least, USD has defeated the #84 team, while Yale has defeated the #100 team....

I simply do not see a leg to stand on here other than tradition and bias. Try to convince me that I am wrong!

I agree, Yale did not make my poll.

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 01:14 PM
Call me when you prove your a top 5 team. So far you have been unimpressive against the Southland. A Conference we own. We beat McNeese 31-6, a team much better SFA and SHSU.xsmiley_wix

Wasn't that last year? I agree NDSU hasn't proven much yet but at least we have played somebody and have beaten the #15 team. Now we step things up with a game at Central Michigan and WIU so everyone will know a lot more about NDSU in a couple of weeks. I still won't know much about the Grizzlies though.

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 01:18 PM

What is the purpose of a poll? To me since there are pre season polls its to each week rank teams on how you think they should be at seasons end.

The fact that AGS brags about the accuracy of its pre season poll with its final poll cements my view of what polls are.

Now while Yale has just played 1 game, they have a tougher schedule and if they perform over that schedule they deserve to be ranked where they are while USD certainly doesn;t deserve to think it deserves to be in the same position with the schedule it plays.

Im not sure why your picking on Yale anyway. The win against them last year means **** this year.

Sick of being disresspected in the polls? Join a real conference and play a real schedule....otherwise.... move along.

PaladinFan
September 17th, 2007, 01:20 PM
You can't dock Wofford. NCSU wasn't that good last year either and managed to beat App. State.

danefan
September 17th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I agree. Drake needs to blow out the weaker teams to show their dominance. That win hurt them more than it helped them.

100% agree. I voted for Drake after the opening week win. But not this week. That game hurt them.

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 01:24 PM
You can't dock Wofford. NCSU wasn't that good last year either and managed to beat App. State.
True!

andy7171
September 17th, 2007, 01:25 PM

I agree, I don't punish teams for losing to FBS teams, and in the case of The Citadel this week, moved them up in my rankings because of its strong showing in the loss. Del State shouldn't have been dropped, in my opinion.

McNeese75
September 17th, 2007, 01:27 PM

xnonox You only own the SLC when you get to play in Wash -Griz remember

ngineer
September 17th, 2007, 01:29 PM
As someone esle posted, the polls are pretty meaningless until after a month into the schedule. Very difficult to gauge the strength of teams until they start playing each other rather than FBS schools, D-II schools. Especially the bottom ten--I see it more as the top 15 and the bottom 20 where you can mix and match all day.

slostang
September 17th, 2007, 01:44 PM

6 Over-Rated Teams:

Delaware has benifited from their reputations in polls over the years. I will bet you that Cal Poly will be well inside the top 15 when the season ends.

Cal Poly had to replaced 4 All-Americans on defense and six total starters off one of the best defenses in the FCS. At Texas State there were a lot of young players starting for the first time against a Texas State offense that they had no game tape on. Texas State took advantage and rolled the defense for 38 points. One thing that Cal Poly can do is coach defense. These same players made huge strides from week one to week two and held Idaho to 336 yards and 20 points (13 points were set up by turn overs). Top ranked USC only held them to 256 yards and 10 points in the Los Angles. This week the Cal Poly defense held Alabama transfer Jimmy Barns to 13 of 39 for 229 yards and one interception. A lot of the yards came late in the when the game was already decided. The defense only gave up 13 yards rushing. This defense will continue to improve as the young players continue to mature and get more snaps. Do not forget this is a defense that has produced the last three Buck Buchanan winners.

Last year Cal Poly's offense struggled. This year they have a new QB in Jonathan Dally. Last year Cal Poly did not have a good passing offense and defenses would stack the box to stop James Noble. Weber State did that and Dally completed 13 of 20 for 338 yards and six touchdowns guiding the offense to 513 yards and 47 points. WR Ramses Barden through three games already has 21 receptions for 472 yards (22.5 per/rec.) and six touchdowns. If teams try to stop the pass Cal Poly has All-American James Noble and transfer Ryan Mole to make them pay.

I do agree the poll would be more accurate if it were started after 3 or 4 weeks have past, but I do not think that Cal Poly is ranked to high. In fact I think you will see them continue to rise through out the season.

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 02:02 PM
SHAME!

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:05 PM
SHAME!
xboringx

It's still early, 'dog. Keep those Ws coming (except against us) and you'll be in.

leatherneck177
September 17th, 2007, 02:22 PM
It's tough to earn some respect in this poll.

No_Skill
September 17th, 2007, 02:22 PM

Montana and NDSU against the Southland Since 2000

Montana:

'01 Win over Northwestern State
'01 Win over Sam Houston State
'02 Loss @ McNeese
'02 Win over Northwestern State
'03 Win over Sam Houston State
'04 Win over Northwestern State
'04 Loss @ Sam Houston State
'04 Win over Sam Houston State
'06 Win over McNeese

% Montana home games = 78%
% winning home games = 100%
% winning away games = 0%

NDSU:

'04 Win @ Nichols State
'05 Win @ Northwestern State
'05 Win over Nichols State
'06 Win @ SFA
'07 Win over SFA
'07 Win over Sam Houston State

% NDSU home games = 57%
% winning away games = 100%

NDSU vs Montana since 2000:

'03 Win @ Montana

I think we can all do the percentages here. xthumbsupx

patssle
September 17th, 2007, 02:24 PM
xnonox You only own the SLC when you get to play in Wash -Griz remember

xthumbsupx get those boys down to Lake Charles or Huntsville and they arn't so tough

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Montana and NDSU against the Southland Since 2000

Montana:

'01 Win over Northwestern State
'01 Win over Sam Houston State
'02 Loss @ McNeese
'02 Win over Northwestern State
'03 Win over Sam Houston State
'04 Loss @ Sam Houston State
'04 Win over Sam Houston State
'06 Win over McNeese

% Montana home games = 78%
% winning away games = 0%

NDSU:

'04 Win @ Nichols State
'05 Win @ Northwestern State
'05 Win over Nichols State
'06 Win @ SFA
'07 Win over SFA
'07 Win over Sam Houston State

% NDSU home games = 57%
% winning away games = 100%

NDSU vs Montana since 2000:

'03 Win @ Montana

I think we can all do the percentages here. xthumbsupx
Ouch.

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Ouch.

YEAH, OUCH IS RIGHT

FCS_pwns_FBS
September 17th, 2007, 02:31 PM
Why on Earth is The Citadel not a top 25? Are any of those teams near the bottom doing as well as them?

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Why on Earth is The Citadel not a top 25? Are any of those teams near the bottom doing as well as them?

GENIUS, PURE GENIUSxthumbsupx

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:35 PM
How much did citdog pay you to say that? xmadx xsmiley_wix

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 02:36 PM
How much did citdog pay you to say that? xmadx xsmiley_wix

PRCK, PURE PRCK

:D

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 02:37 PM
PRCK, PURE PRCK

:D
Gotta give the ladies what they love! xsmiley_wix

Lehigh Football Nation
September 17th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Gotta give the ladies what they love! xsmiley_wix

Watch out for those Citadel cheerleaders - they will kick your ass, remember? :D

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 03:06 PM
Watch out for those Citadel cheerleaders - they will kick your ass, remember? :D
Well, they gotta give me what I love too! xlolx xlolx

Ronbo
September 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Wasn't that last year? I agree NDSU hasn't proven much yet but at least we have played somebody and have beaten the #15 team. Now we step things up with a game at Central Michigan and WIU so everyone will know a lot more about NDSU in a couple of weeks. I still won't know much about the Grizzlies though.

Last years Griz team is very much the same team as this year except we've got Lex Hilliard back, JD Quinn can play, and our QB this year is more accurate and a better runner. This year's team will be stronger than 2006, mark it down. Good luck with Central Michigan, they have looked awful so far, you guys should take them if you are a #5 team.xsmiley_wix

th0m
September 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM

All those teams are winless. Neither USD or Yale should be ranked.

89Hen
September 17th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Maybe you all forgot that USD was ranked for much of last season AND is 3-0 this year?
They lost to the only good team they played last year (I don't have Yale ranked).

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 03:31 PM
SHAME!

footballfan11
September 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM
What is the purpose of a poll? To me since there are pre season polls its to each week rank teams on how you think they should be at seasons end.

The fact that AGS brags about the accuracy of its pre season poll with its final poll cements my view of what polls are.

Now while Yale has just played 1 game, they have a tougher schedule and if they perform over that schedule they deserve to be ranked where they are while USD certainly doesn;t deserve to think it deserves to be in the same position with the schedule it plays.

Im not sure why your picking on Yale anyway. The win against them last year means **** this year.

Sick of being disresspected in the polls? Join a real conference and play a real schedule....otherwise.... move along.

Although USD cant join another conference, 1 being scholarships which they will never give mainly due to title 9, but as for yale, Last year USD killed them at yale and USD returns all of their production on offense and only loss 3 starters on defense. They would have killed yale again this year but for all of you that dont know, rumor has it that USD pretty much challenged Yale during the press conference when reporters asked if they would play yale this year, however the Yale coaches said they will play USD not this year but 2008 season sounded good. I wonder why???xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 04:00 PM
Although USD cant join another conference, 1 being scholarships which they will never give mainly due to title 9, but as for yale, Last year USD killed them at yale and USD returns all of their production on offense and only loss 3 starters on defense. They would have killed yale again this year but for all of you that dont know, rumor has it that USD pretty much challenged Yale during the press conference when reporters asked if they would play yale this year, however the Yale coaches said they will play USD not this year but 2008 season sounded good. I wonder why???xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

Dont give me this we beat them last year we'll beat em this year crap....

Massachusetts beat UNH last year.... UNH beat Richmond last year.... Appalachian State beat Michigan this year, that doesnt mean the same results would occur the next time they play.

As for Yale not playing USD in 2007... maybe they already had schedule commitments for 2007.

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Sounds like they are afraid to face Josh Johnson again. The Yale coach made a comment last year regarding USD; basically saying that USD would be nothing without JJ.

footballfan11
September 17th, 2007, 04:07 PM

Massachusetts beat UNH last year.... UNH beat Richmond last year.... Appalachian State beat Michigan this year, that doesnt mean the same results would occur the next time they play.

As for Yale not playing USD in 2007... maybe they already had schedule commitments for 2007.

So that means that this yr yale's team would be 26 points better than a USD team that is more expierenced and pretty much lost nobody from last year.

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM
You're fighting a futile battle. I always have to remeber that it is just a poll voted on by people that don't see all but maybe 5% of the FCS teams in action. Completely biased opinions is the way I look at it.

So that means that this yr yale's team would be 26 points better than a USD team that is more expierenced and pretty much lost nobody from last year.

footballfan11
September 17th, 2007, 04:12 PM

and another thing i think the way app. st played vs michigan i think they would beat them again because they were the better team, now i cant speak fo UNH cause havent seen them on TV that much and when they are(playoffs) they lose any wayxsmiley_wix

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 04:15 PM

The best team doesnt always win.... im not saying Yale was the best team last year, but clearly the best doesnt always win... Just because your team won by 26 i assume from your reference to that number doesnt mean that you were the best team, you were the better team that day....

No one aside from northeastern fans will say that Northeastern was the better team last year when they beat UNH, but they were the better team that day.

A team can lose by 30 one game and beat the other team by 30 the next time they play, just ask the Buffalo Bills...in 2003 they beat New England 31-0 in the season opener and then lost the season finale to New England 31-0.....

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 04:17 PM
and another thing i think the way app. st played vs michigan i think they would beat them again because they were the better team, now i cant speak fo UNH cause havent seen them on TV that much and when they are(playoffs) they lose any wayxsmiley_wix

UNH is the first Yankee Conference/A-10/CAA team to advance past the first round of the playoffs for three consecutive games.

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Yale played 10 games last year and USD was just one of them, unlike USD Yale does not live and die by how they play in one certain game. USD can blame their AD and the PFL as to why they aren't ranked.

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 04:23 PM
Really I think the question at hand is why Yale is even ranked?

Yale played 10 games last year and USD was just one of them, unlike USD Yale does not live and die by how they play in one certain game. USD can blame their AD and the PFL as to why they aren't ranked.

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 04:28 PM
Really I think the question at hand is why Yale is even ranked?

Simple... their viewed as the best team in the IVY League and the team that wins the league should be ranked at seasons end.

If a team goes undefeated or even with 1 loss in the IVY thats better then a team going undefeated in the Pioneer.

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Well then why wasn't princeton ranked in the pre-seaon then? Princeton was co-champs, and beat Yale last year.

I still don't see how a 1 loss Ivy (that 1 loss being a beating by a lowly Pioneer team ;) ) is better than that Pioneer team that beat them so handidly. But there's no bias in these rankings are there? xsmiley_wix

Simple... their viewed as the best team in the IVY League and the team that wins the league should be ranked at seasons end.

If a team goes undefeated or even with 1 loss in the IVY thats better then a team going undefeated in the Pioneer.

No_Skill
September 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Last years Griz team is very much the same team as this year except we've got Lex Hilliard back, JD Quinn can play, and our QB this year is more accurate and a better runner. This year's team will be stronger than 2006, mark it down. Good luck with Central Michigan, they have looked awful so far, you guys should take them if you are a #5 team.xsmiley_wix

Nice setup so you can rub this in our faces if we lose. xrolleyesx

Ivytalk
September 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM

Except maybe the Harvard game!:D :p

But you make a good point.xnodx

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Well then why wasn't princeton ranked in the pre-seaon then? Princeton was co-champs, and beat Yale last year.

I still don't see how a 1 loss Ivy (that 1 loss being a beating by a lowly Pioneer team ;) ) is better than that Pioneer team that beat them so handidly. But there's no bias in these rankings are there? xsmiley_wix

I had Princeton in my preseason poll.

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 04:46 PM

What happened last year doesnt matter this year.

Also what I meant was a Ivy team with 1 conference loss is better then a pioneer team who goes undefeated in conference.

89Hen
September 17th, 2007, 04:48 PM
Also what I meant was a Ivy team with 1 conference loss is better then a pioneer team who goes undefeated in conference.
Unless they lose to a Pioneer team. xsmiley_wix

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 04:51 PM
Thanks for getting to the point I am trying to make.

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Really? I must have misunderstood your first comment "Simple... their viewed as the best team in the IVY League and the team that wins the league should be ranked at seasons end."

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 04:54 PM

Thanks for getting to the point I am trying to make.

And exactly how does that relate to this season since San Diego doesn't play a IVY team and Yale doesn't play a Pioneer team.....

Bottom line If Yale goes 7-0 or 6-1 in conference and San Diego goes 7-0 the Yale record is more impressive by far.

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Really? I must have misunderstood your first comment "Simple... their viewed as the best team in the IVY League and the team that wins the league should be ranked at seasons end."

Just because a team won a share of the league championship last year doesnt mean they will be as good this year.

Also Princeton lost its starting QB from last year which could explain why they didn't get as much love as Yale in the pre season poll.

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 05:07 PM
SHAME!

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 05:08 PM
This is all if Yale, or if San Diego. My point is that early seaon polls are for the most part based off of last years performances. Which would mean San Diego ranked higher than Yale, or at least Yale not ranked at all.

So if San Diego goes undefeated this year and Yale goes undefeated this year, what is more impressive?

And exactly how does that relate to this season since San Diego doesn't play a IVY team and Yale doesn't play a Pioneer team.....

Bottom line If Yale goes 7-0 or 6-1 in conference and San Diego goes 7-0 the Yale record is more impressive by far.

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 05:09 PM
SHAME!

Yes we know.....dirty dirty shame. xlolx xlolx

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 05:10 PM
This is all if Yale, or if San Diego. My point is that early seaon polls are for the most part based off of last years performances. Which would mean San Diego ranked higher than Yale, or at least Yale not ranked at all.

So if San Diego goes undefeated this year and Yale goes undefeated this year, what is more impressive?

Yout totally wrong... pre season polls have to do with how voters feel a team will do THIS SEASON not how they did last season... If it was based on last season then we would just use the last poll as the preseason poll/

brownbear
September 17th, 2007, 05:11 PM
Yout totally wrong... pre season polls have to do with how voters feel a team will do THIS SEASON not how they did last season... If it was based on last season then we would just use the last poll as the preseason poll/

Yes, that's how most polls work. However, if there is a question about a team, it's always good to rely on stats from the previous year.

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 05:13 PM

That is why I said for the most part polls are based off of past seaon's success. Any easy example for all to see is Michigan being ranked so high in the pre-seaon. Everyone was blinded by the teams semi-success the year before and neglected to see how horrible there defense was.

What changed at San Diego for the voters to throw them off their radar screens? You can't tell me that losing Harbaugh was that big of a deal.

putter
September 17th, 2007, 05:18 PM
That is why I said for the most part polls are based off of past seaon's success. Any easy example for all to see is Michigan being ranked so high in the pre-seaon. Everyone was blinded by the teams semi-success the year before and neglected to see how horrible there defense was.

What changed at San Diego for the voters to throw them off their radar screens? You can't tell me that losing Harbaugh was that big of a deal.

I don't think people knew how to take it. Harbaugh came to USD and built up that program and gave it some press. Now that he has left there was not real way to gauge how San Diego would do. The wins so far indicate that they have not lost much, unfortunately you have not faced any true tests yet. USD is right there...

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 05:22 PM

Nothing and that was the problem. USD could have learned from its past mistakes and could have scheduled up. I know you kind of tried with UNC but unfortunately they are terrible to put things mildly. Its hard to a rank a team that just doesn't prove itself. It is a shame your Admin won't step and do what it takes to join the GWFC. For now I will watch USD but it will take a perfect or near perfect season in order to get ranked.

citdog
September 17th, 2007, 05:24 PM
SHAME!!!!!

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Nothing and that was the problem. USD could have learned from its past mistakes and could have scheduled up. I know you kind of tried with UNC but unfortunately they are terrible to put things mildly. Its hard to a rank a team that just doesn't prove itself. It is a shame your Admin won't step and do what it takes to join the GWFC. For now I will watch USD but it will take a perfect or near perfect season in order to get ranked.

Well they did add 2 fully funded FCS teams to the schedule (UNC and UCD), and if Drake keeps winning then that will be a quality game. That's a big change from the year before.

Would you say a game against an Ivy team would be better than the game against UNC?

bulldog10jw
September 17th, 2007, 05:30 PM

BULL. Schedules are set years in advance. Yale was NEVER going to play San Diego in 2007(or 2008). A challenge, don't make me laugh. What imaginations some people have. I've seen Yale get crushed by enough teams to know that they could care less about an OOC loss. No one cared about a loss to USD last year. They cared about a loss to Princeton and a win over Harvard. San Diego was forgotten the next week. Sheesh.

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 05:33 PM

With the players Michigan had returning they sure looked like a National Championship contender... the ranking had nothing to do with last season but with the players they had returning.

What changed? Your schedule lost one of the two strong oppoents you had. You beat Yale last year and there strong season fueled your rankings rise... now this year you replace Yale with Northern Colorado.... a major step back in scheduling.

Yale has a strong schedule San Diego has a ****ty schuedle!

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Well they did add 2 fully funded FCS teams to the schedule (UNC and UCD), and if Drake keeps winning then that will be a quality game. That's a big change from the year before.

Would you say a game against an Ivy team would be better than the game against UNC?

HELL YES.... Even the doormat of the IVY, Dartmouth should have had a win against Colgate last week.

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Yale plays within the Ivy and a few PL teams; apparently you call that a strong schedule (you must think all the teams in the Ivy league are strong). Why don't they venture out and play a team like UNH, Deleware, or any other of the multiple teams in that area. San Diego has an excuse some what (location/travel logistics). More and more I am feeling a little North east bias coming from you.

With the players Michigan had returning they sure looked like a National Championship contender... the ranking had nothing to do with last season but with the players they had returning.

What changed? Your schedule lost one of the two strong oppoents you had. You beat Yale last year and there strong season fueled your rankings rise... now this year you replace Yale with Northern Colorado.... a major step back in scheduling.

Yale has a strong schedule San Diego has a ****ty schuedle!

FargoBison
September 17th, 2007, 05:38 PM

Yeah, an Ivy would be better then UNC. Kind of sad to see UNC football in state that its in since we used to be conference rivals. Anyway, I know USD tried to schedule up but unfortunately it didn't work out. If USD runs the table I will rank them after that it will be a toss up.

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 05:53 PM
Yeah, an Ivy would be better then UNC. Kind of sad to see UNC football in state that its in since we used to be conference rivals. Anyway, I know USD tried to schedule up but unfortunately it didn't work out. If USD runs the table I will rank them after that it will be a toss up.

If Drake can pull off another upset against UNI, and then San Diego runs the table (beating Drake and UCD, as well as the other PFL teams), where would that put them. In my eyes that is a better record than last years team that was ranked as high as 15. I still don't think they would get in the play-offs (unless of course UCD is ranked by the time we play them).

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Yale plays within the Ivy and a few PL teams; apparently you call that a strong schedule (you must think all the teams in the Ivy league are strong). Why don't they venture out and play a team like UNH, Deleware, or any other of the multiple teams in that area. San Diego has an excuse some what (location/travel logistics). More and more I am feeling a little North east bias coming from you.

They play Lehigh and Holy Cross, who lost by 10 to top 5 team Massachusetts and beat a Harvard team that was picked to finish 3rd in the Ivy League.

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 05:59 PM
If Drake can pull off another upset against UNI, and then San Diego runs the table (beating Drake and UCD, as well as the other PFL teams), where would that put them. In my eyes that is a better record than last years team that was ranked as high as 15. I still don't think they would get in the play-offs (unless of course UCD is ranked by the time we play them).

If Drake finishes 10-1 with its lone loss to San Diego and if San Diego goes undefeated and Northern Iowa and Illinois State are in the rankings still then yes then San Diego will get its ranking... Come October 15 they could find themselves in the middle of the poll if things work out for them, though im not sure they beat UC Davis which would send them back to the bottom part of the poll like last year.

BDKJMU
September 17th, 2007, 06:14 PM

Michigan didn't look like an NC contender at all preseason, certainly not a top 10 team in my book.- not with I believe only 4 starters returning on a defense that got torched the last 2 games of last yr (Ohio St and USC). They were suppose tohave a great offense, suspect defense. Certainly should have been ranked, but definitely not #5, much less top 10.

BDKJMU
September 17th, 2007, 06:17 PM
How about the CAA. Of 12 teams, 5 teams ranked in the top 15, and another 4 getting votes. 12-1 OOC against other I-AA. Looking by far the best I-AA conference this season so far. :)

slostang
September 17th, 2007, 06:30 PM

Here is a simple solution to USD's problem with getting ranked in the polls and being a serious contender for the playoffs. Join the GWFC with or without scholarships. It seems that you want to be ranked in a poll that is full of fully funded teams and that you would like an invitation to the playoffs were the teams offer scholarships or at least need based grants. If you joined the GWFC in 2008 you would be playing five teams that offer at least 57 scholarships not to mention any OOC games you might schedule. Would you be at a competitive disadvantage? Yes, but you would be at the same disadvantage in the playoffs.

The GWFC needs teams and the University of San Diego would be a great fit. I would love a reason to go to San Diego every other year and USD would definately have a greater chance of making the playoffs in the GWFC than the PFL.

YaleFootballFan
September 17th, 2007, 06:43 PM
BULL. Schedules are set years in advance. Yale was NEVER going to play San Diego in 2007(or 2008). A challenge, don't make me laugh. What imaginations some people have.

Exactly.

Yale's schedule is set for the next 5 years so there's no way they would've played USD this year or next year. Even if they wanted to play USD again, it probably wouldn't be until at least 2013.

Challenge schmallenge. That ol' gag.

I've seen Yale get crushed by enough teams to know that they could care less about an OOC loss. No one cared about a loss to USD last year. They cared about a loss to Princeton and a win over Harvard. San Diego was forgotten the next week. Sheesh.

More like the next day.....

Hell, I forgot we even played USD until I started reading this thread!

strike00
September 17th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Congrats to Drake. Looking forward to the game in Des Moines.

YaleFootballFan
September 17th, 2007, 06:46 PM
They play Lehigh and Holy Cross, who lost by 10 to top 5 team Massachusetts and beat a Harvard team that was picked to finish 3rd in the Ivy League.

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Holy Cross is ranked before the end of the season.

The Yale/Holy Cross game in Worcester is going to be one heck of a game!

R.A.
September 17th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I agree, I don't punish teams for losing to FBS teams, and in the case of The Citadel this week, moved them up in my rankings because of its strong showing in the loss. Del State shouldn't have been dropped, in my opinion.

I totally agree!!!

They lost to Kent State, picked 2nd in the MAC East. DSU is 2-1 still. There's no way they should have dropped out.

Drake's better than Del State?? Yeah Right!

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 07:45 PM

Just blew it off as a fluke win hah? How does it feel to be the first Ivy team to lose to a PFL team? Two years in a row wasn't it? You act like you forgot, but it will always linger. The mighty Ivy champs stomped by the lowly PFL champs. xeekx

seahawkfan2007
September 17th, 2007, 07:50 PM
Congrats to Drake, they deserve the ranking. USD should be ranked and their QB could be the best player at the FCS level this year and might turn out to be one of the best 1AA plyers ever. He's that good!

YaleFootballFan
September 17th, 2007, 08:13 PM
Just blew it off as a fluke win hah? How does it feel to be the first Ivy team to lose to a PFL team? Two years in a row wasn't it? You act like you forgot, but it will always linger. The mighty Ivy champs stomped by the lowly PFL champs. xeekx

The loss to Princeton last year will always linger.

The loss to Harvard in 1987 will always linger.

The 1968 tie will always linger.

But a non-conference loss to San Diego doesn't and never will. Sorry to disappoint you.

But keep celebrating your victory over Yale. It's flattering that you people are still talking about it. I totally get that it's a big deal when any team beats a storied program like Yale's. Do us one favor though, be sure to let us all know how your "Victory Over Yale" Anniversary Parade turns out. xrolleyesx

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 17th, 2007, 08:34 PM

Great "Signature" box. The Legend of Santos grows bigger every game! What are we going to do when he finally graduates? xthumbsupx (Besides watch him confound NFL defenses during the pre-season next August, thus forcing some club to keep him on the roster, ..... :D

JALMOND
September 17th, 2007, 08:39 PM
This is so crazy, its borderline ridiculous. Two Big Sky teams in the top 25 and the east coast is trying to tell me Yale/Princeton/next week's Ivy League darling would finish third in the Big Sky? By having only two Big Sky teams in the top 25 and trying to make a case for inclusion of any Ivy League school (Yale included), you are inferring that the top Ivy League team would be third in the Big Sky (or with Yale ahead of Montana State, the second best in the Big Sky).

Tell me this is not east coast bias. We do play damn good football out here in the boonies.

GOTOREROS
September 17th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Exactly.

Yale's schedule is set for the next 5 years so there's no way they would've played USD this year or next year. Even if they wanted to play USD again, it probably wouldn't be until at least 2013.

Challenge schmallenge. That ol' gag.

More like the next day.....

Well, your team and coach didn't forget as easy as you. They had nightmare's of Josh Johnson running over, through, around your team for a LONG TIME. Since you forgot xcoffeex here is the link to video of his long TD run where he embarrassed your whole defense.....xlolx

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/usd/20061103-9999-lz1s3playmake.html

GOTOREROS
September 17th, 2007, 08:55 PM
The loss to Princeton last year will always linger.

The loss to Harvard in 1987 will always linger.

The 1968 tie will always linger.

But a non-conference loss to San Diego doesn't and never will. Sorry to disappoint you.

But keep celebrating your victory over Yale. It's flattering that you people are still talking about it. I totally get that it's a big deal when any team beats a storied program like Yale's. Do us one favor though, be sure to let us all know how your "Victory Over Yale" Anniversary Parade turns out. xrolleyesx

It sucks when you don't have bragging rights huh? xlolx I guess you feel how Michigan fans feel about App State! xlolx

bulldog10jw
September 17th, 2007, 08:59 PM
Well, your team and coach didn't forget as easy as you. They had nightmare's of Josh Johnson running over, through,

I know. That game had such a lingering affect on Yale that they won the next 7 in a row.xrolleyesx

USDFAN_55
September 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I think this is bordering on smack talk. We should keep this conversation to the AGS poll.

UNHWildCats
September 17th, 2007, 09:27 PM
Great "Signature" box. The Legend of Santos grows bigger every game! What are we going to do when he finally graduates? xthumbsupx (Besides watch him confound NFL defenses during the pre-season next August, thus forcing some club to keep him on the roster, ..... :D

We have a good group of young QBs on the roster... hopefully someone steps up and fills the shoes nicely.

McNeese75
September 17th, 2007, 10:11 PM
xthumbsupx get those boys down to Lake Charles or Huntsville and they arn't so tough

Especially in September :D

PantherRob82
September 17th, 2007, 10:22 PM
You're fighting a futile battle. I always have to remeber that it is just a poll voted on by people that don't see all but maybe 5% of the FCS teams in action. Completely biased opinions is the way I look at it.

I've already seen 30+ FCS teams in action this year. I'm guessing many other voters are similar.

Pard4Life
September 17th, 2007, 10:27 PM
Well if it makes you feel any better I still have Yale ranked in my poll, I think 14.. although the small margin of victory of G'town perked my eyes...

Don't agree with Illinois St. ranking.. I have them at 23 or so...

Don't agree with Sam Houston St. 15 either.. I don't even have them ranked..

Not too keen with Drake either.. once they lose (likely a wide margin) to UNI they will be out... but if they win they are no doubt in and deserve so..

I am probably the only voter that ranked Penn even after their loss.. xeekx

carney2
September 17th, 2007, 11:19 PM

Nope. There are at least two of us.

blur2005
September 17th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Yeah, losing to Lafayette 8-7 is not exactly a confidence-builder for pollsters. Considering I don't see Penn listed as having more than 5 points in the poll under also receiving votes, I'm WAS going to say you are the only person to still rank them, until I saw Carney did too. I intended to if they beat Lafayette but alas, could only muster seven points and lost with a baseball score outcome.