PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on NAU...???

already123
September 16th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Its a huge compliment/statement when Jerry Moore says that NAU was the most athletic team that ASU had faced all year! NAU put up a good fight and a scare into the ASU nation for a while. I was just wondering what the rest of the country's thoughts on NAU were.

Personally, I would have to agree with Moore...NAU is DEFINITELY a playoff team

asufan87
September 16th, 2007, 01:29 PM
I was impressed with what I saw from NAU yesterday. They are athletic and well coached. They will be a team to be reckoned with in the Big Sky. They represented themselves very well yesterday in Boone. Kudos to the Lumberjacks.

JALMOND
September 16th, 2007, 01:34 PM
I have to say I'm glad we do not have to go to Flag this year. NAU did a great job representing "the rest" of the Big Sky (as in a conference traditionally thought of as "Montana and the rest"). I look forward to our game in three weeks in Portland to see how we stack up.

Jerbearasu
September 16th, 2007, 01:46 PM
They are definitely a playoff calibur team. That being said, they can only afford one more loss or they must gain the auto bid from the BSC to get into the playoffs. IMO, they are definitely one of the Top 16 in the country though!

Saint3333
September 16th, 2007, 01:47 PM
I was most impressed with their QB and their punter has a great leg and is really accurate (great coffin corner kicks). They have good team speed. I thought their flex defense was better (quicker) than MSU's last year.

Not sure it was "vaulted" though, sorry I couldn't resist xsmiley_wix.

AppState09
September 16th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I have to agree, your qb is very good. He has great size, more like a LB but can run through a defense. He definately kept your team in the game. I was also impressed with your punter. He had good kicks that were angled away from our dangerous dextor jackson. NAU this year looked better than the Montanta State team we played last year.

Appaholic
September 16th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Definitely impressed with NAU....well coached team who ran the spread very well.....unless they fall apart, it would be a shame if they are not in the playoffs due to playing a tough schedule...NAU represented BSC well...

Peems
September 16th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Listening to the game I was impressed with NAU, which just makes me even more nervous for the game in Flagstaff, which always seems to turn into a shootout.

89Hen
September 16th, 2007, 03:48 PM
They are definitely a playoff calibur team. That being said, they can only afford one more loss or they must gain the auto bid from the BSC to get into the playoffs. IMO, they are definitely one of the Top 16 in the country though!
I would agree that they MAY be a playoff calibur team. I also agree they're going to have an awfully tough time actually making the playoffs with basically only one loss left. However, definitely a top 16 team? Based on what? Two losses where they didn't get creamed and a win over a DII???

FOLKS, AppSt played several close games last year... GSU, WC, JMU... they are a great team, but hanging with them for three quarters does not make somebody definitely a top 16 team. xconfusedx

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2007, 06:01 PM
I noticed the score and the stats. My thought, frankly, was that it illustrates that App State beating Michigan does not mean the Mountaineers are a lock to three-peat. The Moutaineers can be beaten by other FCS teams.

Having said that, Northern Arizona is in the position of not being able to lose more than one conference game if the scenario turns into looking for an at large bid.

I don't like the playoff committee's "3-loss-maximum" tendency, but it exists.

FCS Go!
September 16th, 2007, 06:15 PM
NAU may be a playoff caliber team but, like with everyone else, it is too early to tell.

If they can make it through their Montana and Montana St games with at least a split (1-1) then I'll be a believer.

A loss before then or two losses with the Montana schools and I'd say they're not quite a playoff team.

putter
September 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM
I would agree that they MAY be a playoff calibur team. I also agree they're going to have an awfully tough time actually making the playoffs with basically only one loss left. However, definitely a top 16 team? Based on what? Two losses where they didn't get creamed and a win over a DII???

FOLKS, AppSt played several close games last year... GSU, WC, JMU... they are a great team, but hanging with them for three quarters does not make somebody definitely a top 16 team. xconfusedx

typical Hen xsmhx ,

You are correct that that game does not make them necessarily a top 16 team. However you have spent two years saying it is Montana only in the "Big Fluff" conference. Then NAU goes on the road and plays the best team in the country very tough and you say they only "hang" with them? No way. Funny how the App fans have nothing positive to say about NAU and how they played and executed (couple less mistakes and who knows) and you shoot holes in a Big Sky team again.

Appstate29
September 16th, 2007, 07:27 PM
NAU played a great game yesterday, I'd say neither of us played our best game, but they have a sick quaterback, a great D and some great coaches. They definitely had a shot to put it to us yesterday, and they will be good in the BSC

Peems
September 16th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Here is their remaining schedule
Sep 22, 2007Northern Colorado,
Sep 29, 2007at Sacramento StateSacramento, Claif.2:05 PM
Oct 06, 2007at Portland StatePortland, Ore.1:35 PM
Oct 13, 2007Idaho State (Family Weekend)Flagstaff, Ariz.3:05 PM
Oct 20, 2007at Weber StateOgden, Utah12:05 PM
Oct 27, 2007Montana (Homecoming)Flagstaff, Ariz.3:05 PM
Nov 03, 2007at Montana StateBozeman, Mont.11:00 AM Nov 10, 2007Eastern Washington/Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Red Ribbon Game (Hall of Fame)

Let's say(hypothetically) they beat UNC, Sac. St, PSU, ISU, Weber. Split the Montana teams and then lose to Eastern.

That gives them only 6 D1 wins. Basically what I'm saying is that they can only lose one more game, and that is their only chance. Plus let's say they beat the Griz and the Cats but lose to UNC? are they in then?

appfan2008
September 16th, 2007, 08:43 PM
very very good quarterback and a team that never quits and boy did they put a scare into us in the first half... thank goodness that early in the first half they got inside the fifteen 3 times for a total of 3 points or things could have gotten really scary

Jerbearasu
September 16th, 2007, 09:26 PM

I thought I clarified myself with the statement that it was my opinion... They played a great game against a great team. Last year, JMU was one of the Top 16 teams hence them making the playoffs (and they should have had a home game in the first round), Wofford is a team many considered the top team left out and GSU played a lights out game against us. That is not to say that any team that holds serve against App is one of the top teams in this division but IMO Northern Arizona clearly is...
If you listened to the game you would have realized NAU could match up with App's speed and had great players at key positions that make them a force to be reckoned with. I was most surprised their defense played as well as they did. I did not think they could limit us as much as they did.

AZGrizFan
September 16th, 2007, 11:16 PM
Here is their remaining schedule
Sep 22, 2007Northern Colorado,
Sep 29, 2007at Sacramento StateSacramento, Claif.2:05 PM
Oct 06, 2007at Portland StatePortland, Ore.1:35 PM
Oct 13, 2007Idaho State (Family Weekend)Flagstaff, Ariz.3:05 PM
Oct 20, 2007at Weber StateOgden, Utah12:05 PM
Oct 27, 2007Montana (Homecoming)Flagstaff, Ariz.3:05 PM
Nov 03, 2007at Montana StateBozeman, Mont.11:00 AM Nov 10, 2007Eastern Washington/Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Red Ribbon Game (Hall of Fame)

Let's say(hypothetically) they beat UNC, Sac. St, PSU, ISU, Weber. Split the Montana teams and then lose to Eastern.

That gives them only 6 D1 wins. Basically what I'm saying is that they can only lose one more game, and that is their only chance. Plus let's say they beat the Griz and the Cats but lose to UNC? are they in then?

Maybe it's just me, Peems, but if they beat Montana AND Montana State, losing only to UNC, they'll be BSC Champs by virtue of head-to-head matchups, even if UM and MSU only have one league loss....xreadx xreadx xreadx

CopperCat
September 16th, 2007, 11:18 PM
Maybe it's just me, Peems, but if they beat Montana AND Montana State, losing only to UNC, they'll be BSC Champs by virtue of head-to-head matchups, even if UM and MSU only have one league loss....xreadx xreadx xreadx

And we all know that isn't happening.xrotatehx

ncbears
September 16th, 2007, 11:19 PM
You guys are going to kill us.

AZGrizFan
September 16th, 2007, 11:21 PM
You guys are going to kill us.

Well, you've had to say that a lot this year.... xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx

Peems
September 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM

xoopsx I wasn't even thinking about automatic berth, my bad:o

JALMOND
September 17th, 2007, 12:40 AM
NAU's schedule is tough. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), they have Montana at home, a game that at this point is a toss up at best. Also, the Jacks have to go to both Bozeman and Portland, and both the Cats and Vikings have held serve at their respective houses in previous years.

A good loss, but still a loss, and still have a tough conference schedule to try to get seven DI victories. Still, they showed how "the rest" of the Big Sky stacks up against the top team in FCS and opened the eyes of all those on the east coast who tend to retire for the night after seeing how Montana did.

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 01:05 AM
NAU's schedule is tough. Fortunately (or unfortunately depending on how you look at it), they have Montana at home, a game that at this point is a toss up at best. Also, the Jacks have to go to both Bozeman and Portland, and both the Cats and Vikings have held serve at their respective houses in previous years.

A good loss, but still a loss, and still have a tough conference schedule to try to get seven DI victories. Still, they showed how "the rest" of the Big Sky stacks up against the top team in FCS and opened the eyes of all those on the east coast who tend to retire for the night after seeing how Montana did.

As much as we might wish that, I highly doubt that many were impressed. Because unless you actually LISTENED to or watched the game, by looking at the final score you wouldn't think it was nearly as good a game as it actually was.

One game ain't gonna change the impression of the Big Sky....as much as we all might wish it would, and as wrong as that impression is.

It is what it is....I've come to accept that. All of us in the know, know differently. xnodx xnodx xnodx xnodx

SoCon48
September 17th, 2007, 08:48 AM
I don't think we learned very much about either team Saturday. ASU is good team withoiut Edwards, but with him, it's a much higher level team. I would say that App showed they could beat a play-off calibre team without the starting QB.

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Listening to the game on the radio had me scared! NAU is a quality team and could be a playoff team if their schedule doesn't kill them. xthumbsupx

Mountaineer#96
September 17th, 2007, 10:18 AM
NAU is a good team. On offense they excuted the spread very well and had some good drives. Special teams needs a little work, but its hard to measure that against ours (since that is what we pride ourselves in). On defense they have the bend but don't break thing down pretty good. They have good D-linemen who get after the football and have good motors. Over all I am very impressed with them, and think they will make noise in the Big Sky for sure.

HensRock
September 17th, 2007, 10:20 AM
NAU has got to be the best 1-2 team in the FCS.
I moved them into my Top 25 poll ballot this week based on their showing against App State (and UA).

catbob
September 17th, 2007, 10:40 AM
I guess I'll have to see NAU in person this year. For a lot of you I'm guessing this was your first taste of NAU, but for us Big Sky folk, we've seen them year after year. The best QB in NAU history, Jason Murietta, was 0-4 against the Bobcats. I've heard good things about Kriessen, and NAU always has a good offense, but their defense has always been suspect. If they successfully replaced Murietta and shored up the defensive problems, they could certainly be a force in the FCS this year.

89Hen
September 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM
typical Hen xsmhx ,

You are correct that that game does not make them necessarily a top 16 team. However you have spent two years saying it is Montana only in the "Big Fluff" conference. Then NAU goes on the road and plays the best team in the country very tough and you say they only "hang" with them? No way.
You're right... NAU is an incredible team who had AppSt on the ropes and fell just a bit short... just like they did against Arizona. I fully expect that NAU will give the Griz a great game only to fall a bit short... so basically any time they play somebody worth a hill of beans we can expect a great effort, only to come up a bit short. I just amended my AGS Poll ballot and put NAU at #4 even though they don't have a DI win yet. xcoffeex

phillyAPP
September 17th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I guess I'll have to see NAU in person this year. For a lot of you I'm guessing this was your first taste of NAU, but for us Big Sky folk, we've seen them year after year. The best QB in NAU history, Jason Murietta, was 0-4 against the Bobcats. I've heard good things about Kriessen, and NAU always has a good offense, but their defense has always been suspect. If they successfully replaced Murietta and shored up the defensive problems, they could certainly be a force in the FCS this year.

I agree with you Cat. NAU has a very good team. alot like APP 3-4 years ago. They need to prove themselves by winning a few of the big games then WATCH OUT. NAU has the talent, speed and coaching if they get some confidence they will beat ANYONE... AGS. They are for real. If they handle one of two of the montana's they will be scary in the playoffs.

Good luck to the Big Sky. it will be on hell of a season.

putter
September 17th, 2007, 10:57 AM
You're right... NAU is an incredible team who had AppSt on the ropes and fell just a bit short... just like they did against Arizona. I fully expect that NAU will give the Griz a great game only to fall a bit short... so basically any time they play somebody worth a hill of beans we can expect a great effort, only to come up a bit short. I just amended my AGS Poll ballot and put NAU at #4 even though they don't have a DI win yet. xcoffeex

Only #4! I would have thought they deserved a #2 ranking!! ;) xlolx The way NAU played is what the Griz see almost every year from them. Very talented team that just misses getting it done. Why, I don't know, but they put a quality team on the field every year.

89Hen
September 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM
The way NAU played is what the Griz see almost every year from them. Very talented team that just misses getting it done. Why, I don't know, but they put a quality team on the field every year.
I'll have to take your word on it. The only DI OOC win NAU has in the last four years is over SUU. xeyebrowx

AppGirl
September 17th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Funny how the App fans have nothing positive to say about NAU and how they played and executed (couple less mistakes and who knows) and you shoot holes in a Big Sky team again.

Have you been reading this thread? xconfusedx
We agree that you have a play-off caliber team, you gave us a scare. No holes being shot.

I was most impressed with their QB and their punter has a great leg and is really accurate (great coffin corner kicks). They have good team speed. I thought their flex defense was better (quicker) than MSU's last year.

I have to agree, your qb is very good. He has great size, more like a LB but can run through a defense. He definately kept your team in the game. I was also impressed with your punter. He had good kicks that were angled away from our dangerous dextor jackson. NAU this year looked better than the Montanta State team we played last year.

I was impressed with what I saw from NAU yesterday. They are athletic and well coached. They will be a team to be reckoned with in the Big Sky. They represented themselves very well yesterday in Boone. Kudos to the Lumberjacks.

Definitely impressed with NAU....well coached team who ran the spread very well.....unless they fall apart, it would be a shame if they are not in the playoffs due to playing a tough schedule...NAU represented BSC well...

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 11:07 AM
We agree that you have a play-off caliber team, you gave us a scare. No holes being shot.
Putter was commenting how 89Hen was dissing NAU, not App fans. xrulesx xsmiley_wix

putter
September 17th, 2007, 11:08 AM
And in my post I was responding to 89Hen, not App fans. 89Hen and I have an ongoing discussion about quality control in the Big Fluff Conference. :p

AppGirl
September 17th, 2007, 11:09 AM
Putter was commenting how 89Hen was dissing NAU, not App fans. xrulesx xsmiley_wix
He said it was US! I'd have been with him giving 89Hen a hard time.

lizrdgizrd
September 17th, 2007, 11:14 AM
typical Hen xsmhx ,

You are correct that that game does not make them necessarily a top 16 team. However you have spent two years saying it is Montana only in the "Big Fluff" conference. Then NAU goes on the road and plays the best team in the country very tough and you say they only "hang" with them? No way. Funny how the App fans have nothing positive to say about NAU and how they played and executed (couple less mistakes and who knows) and you shoot holes in a Big Sky team again.

He said it was US! I'd have been with him giving 89Hen a hard time.
I see where you're getting that. Guess I was reading what putter was thinking, not what he wrote. Chalk it up to a typo by putter, AppGirl. xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 17th, 2007, 11:15 AM
And in my post I was responding to 89Hen, not App fans. 89Hen and I have an ongoing discussion about quality control in the Big Fluff Conference. :p
Yes, and in putter's defense (not that he needs my help) I think he meant to say...

"Funny how the App fans have nothing BUT positive THINGS to say about NAU"

xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I'd have been with him giving 89Hen a hard time.
Give it your best shot. :p xthumbsupx

putter
September 17th, 2007, 11:16 AM
I see where you're getting that. Guess I was reading what putter was thinking, not what he wrote. Chalk it up to a typo by putter, AppGirl. xthumbsupx

good catch AppGirl! It should have read App fans have nothing but positive things to say about NAU. Somtimes you read what you were meaning and not what you wrote. Lizrd and I are on the same page xthumbsupx

Glad you saw what I meant also 89! Great minds think alike!!!?????

already123
September 17th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I agree. I would definitely say that NAU showed themselves to be a top 16 team. However, they'll need to get some wins before we can say too much. NAU has a great chance at the conf title. I'm circling the NAU-Montana game (@NAU) as the biggest BSC of the year at this point! GO JACKS!

Appaholic
September 17th, 2007, 04:25 PM
I agree. I would definitely say that NAU showed themselves to be a top 16 team. However, they'll need to get some wins before we can say too much. NAU has a great chance at the conf title. I'm circling the NAU-Montana game (@NAU) as the biggest BSC of the year at this point! GO JACKS!

Go Jacks, indeed....xthumbsupx

89Hen
September 17th, 2007, 04:33 PM
NAU has a great chance at the conf title. I'm circling the NAU-Montana game (@NAU) as the biggest BSC of the year at this point! GO JACKS!
Jerry Glanville would like to know if he can post this in the PSU locker room.

Peems
September 17th, 2007, 05:41 PM

xlolxxlolx

JALMOND
September 17th, 2007, 07:51 PM

I wouldn't put a W on the PSU game just yet. The home team does pretty well in the series. The visitors usually need a great game AND a few breaks to win. Chances are you will be favored going into it. But its all settled on the field, and this year, its our field.

See you in three weeks.

kalm
September 17th, 2007, 08:06 PM

NAU finishes the season with Montana, at MSU, and EWU. If things shake down accordingly, all four teams could have, at the most, one loss. Could be a tough road to ho for the Jacks. Lot of football to be played until then. xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
September 17th, 2007, 08:16 PM

putter forgot the key word "BUT" between nothing and positive....when referring to App State comments on NAU. xnodx xnodx xnodx

james_lawfirm
September 17th, 2007, 08:23 PM
[B] No holes being shot.

What the heck does this phrase refer to? xsmoochx

Is it a butchering of "no holds barred"??? If not, please advise.

james_lawfirm
September 17th, 2007, 08:25 PM
Appgirl:

Never mind. I just noticed that you were replying to a post reference saying it "shot holes" in something. Sorry - keep on posting.

dbackjon
September 17th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I'll have to take your word on it. The only DI OOC win NAU has in the last four years is over SUU. xeyebrowx

McNeese State...

And when you play one or two FBS teams a year, and 8 conference games, it leaves few potential OOC wins.

Have UD do a home and home - and travel west of the Mississippi for ONCE...

blur2005
September 17th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I'm still ranking the Jacks. I think they will be a threat in the BSC, though I don't think they'll beat Montana.

kalm
September 17th, 2007, 10:03 PM
McNeese State...

And when you play one or two FBS teams a year, and 8 conference games, it leaves few potential OOC wins.

No kidding. You sure do see a lot of CAA smack and not many travel miles to back it up. I wish we had a bunch of non-scholarship schools to beat up on, that still count as DI wins, within a bus ride of home. xthumbsupx

already123
September 17th, 2007, 10:20 PM
I wasnt saying that NAU will breeze thru any other big sky games...I simply meant that it is shaping up to be an exciting game in Flagstaff....sorrry for the confusion

SeattleGriz
September 17th, 2007, 11:21 PM
I don't think we learned very much about either team Saturday. ASU is good team withoiut Edwards, but with him, it's a much higher level team. I would say that App showed they could beat a play-off calibre team without the starting QB.

Didn't know Armanti played defense as well.

ASU got all the points they were going to get - the game was more about NAU executing and not making mistakes.

lizrdgizrd
September 18th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Didn't know Armanti played defense as well.

ASU got all the points they were going to get - the game was more about NAU executing and not making mistakes.
We'll never know if AE could have put a few more points on the board. But you're right about the defense stepping up in the red zone. xnodx

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 08:36 AM
McNeese State...

Not sure what UD has to do with this but...

AppSt - L
UNI - L
SFA - L
UNI - L

Not trying to pick on you, but before I rank a team after week 3 I usually like to see a DI win.

89Hen
September 18th, 2007, 08:38 AM
No kidding. You sure do see a lot of CAA smack and not many travel miles to back it up. I wish we had a bunch of non-scholarship schools to beat up on, that still count as DI wins, within a bus ride of home. xthumbsupx
If you'd like to take it to the smack board I'd be happy to... xthumbsupx