PDA

View Full Version : Typical ignorance (Lafayette Advertiser Article)

JohnStOnge
September 16th, 2007, 06:55 AM
http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070916/SPORTS/709160362/1006

No credit at all to the FCS opponent. Instead, ULL can't possibly compete in the mighty Sun Belt if it lost to a lowly FCS opponent.

travelinman67
September 16th, 2007, 10:42 AM
http://www.theadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070916/SPORTS/709160362/1006

No credit at all to the FCS opponent. Instead, ULL can't possibly compete in the mighty Sun Belt if it lost to a lowly FCS opponent.

Adding insult to injury, Bustle is a great coach that has built the proverbial silk purse from a sows ear. Their facility improvements are 10-15 years behind others in their conference; not due to Bustle's negligence, rather due to budgetary constraints. How in the hell can any coach compete for the top national talent when recruits who just came from officials at Florida, LSU, or (yes) McNeese, get to visit "The Swamp" whose principal (sole) bragging right is the friendly fans and great tailgates: Good game day food is nice, but if you just made the hour drive from Baton Rouge, having seen the world class facilities and coaches at LSU, ULL doesn't have a prayer (last I heard, the A.D. STILL hadn't funded/built an indoor practice facility...and for all the old-timers who shoveled the snow off the practice field each dayxrolleyesx, it's not about conditioning, it's about recruiting. Try selling outdoor practices in Lafayette to a kid who's just seen the NASA scale practice building at LSU).

Yet, despite the constraints, Bustle consistently fields quality, competitive team and maintains a program that has the respect of all their peers.

It's sad that a loss to a solid team like the 2007 Cowboys is not seen as legitimizing a fellow D1 team, but an indicator the the Cajuns and Bustle are failures.

I suggest that the RaginCajun supporters redirect their critical views to the financial support they have provided to the ULL program, and further, that they open their eyes and realize how fortunate they are to have a top-tier coach like Bustle who could easily take a position with a "larger", better funded, (and better paying) school.

A solid win by McNeese. Nice job Cowboys.xthumbsupx

Lionsrking
September 16th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Good game day food is nice, but if you just made the hour drive from Baton Rouge, having seen the world class facilities and coaches at LSU, ULL doesn't have a prayer (last I heard, the A.D. STILL hadn't funded/built an indoor practice facility...

For the record, UL-Lafayette now has an indoor practice facility. The rest of the facilities are way behind by FBS standards, but they do have an indoor facility now.

travelinman67
September 16th, 2007, 03:55 PM
For the record, UL-Lafayette now has an indoor practice facility. The rest of the facilities are way behind by FBS standards, but they do have an indoor facility now.

Just curious Lionsrking, have you seen it yet, and if so, what's the roof height? The proposed plans I saw a couple of years ago called for 22' sill height (don't remember center height). Enough for walk throughs and 7 on 7 (marginal), but not enough for full scrimmage/kickers.

McNeese_beat
September 16th, 2007, 05:29 PM
Just curious Lionsrking, have you seen it yet, and if so, what's the roof height? The proposed plans I saw a couple of years ago called for 22' sill height (don't remember center height). Enough for walk throughs and 7 on 7 (marginal), but not enough for full scrimmage/kickers.

It looks big enough (just from the eye test), but it is completely un-airconditioned.

Now, who the hell would build a building in south Louisiana with no air conditioning? That's just ridiculous.

Better to just turf your stadium.

By the way, my opinion is Bustle is a good coach and a good football guy, but he's the proverbial round peg being hammered into the square hole. When you are a regional university, you need to win the battle at home first, so to me, at some point they need to start looking at coaching candidates who are well connected and respected in south Louisiana, southern Mississippi and south Texas. UL-L has lost sight of that. They get killed in recruiting in their own back yard.