PDA

View Full Version : Don't Look Now, But

DetroitFlyer
September 15th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Butler is now 3-0. Wins over two Division III teams and today winning over Division II Saint Josephs! I am not a fan of FCS teams playing lower division games, but if you are going to play them, at least win! It was not long ago when Butler would have been hard pressed to win three games in two years. It seems like BU got sick and tired of losing and did something about it. I think the success in basketball carried over to football. Glad to see them on the way back! Davidson defeated their lower division opponent today, ( Lenoir Rhyne ), as did Valparaiso, ( now 2-1 ), after defeating Kalamazoo today. Dayton rolled over Division II Central State, 40-0. It looks like Drake will win over their Division III opponent as well. It is very possible that every PFL team wins today.

AZGrizFan
September 15th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Maybe you guys ought to try playing FCS teams. xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

rmutv
September 15th, 2007, 04:19 PM
Butler is now 3-0. Wins over two Division III teams and today winning over Division II Saint Josephs! I am not a fan of FCS teams playing lower division games, but if you are going to play them, at least win! It was not long ago when Butler would have been hard pressed to win three games in two years. It seems like BU got sick and tired of losing and did something about it. I think the success in basketball carried over to football. Glad to see them on the way back! Davidson defeated their lower division opponent today, ( Lenoir Rhyne ), as did Valparaiso, ( now 2-1 ), after defeating Kalamazoo today. Dayton rolled over Division II Central State, 40-0. It looks like Drake will win over their Division III opponent as well. It is very possible that every PFL team wins today.

You've got to be kidding me.

Dane96
September 15th, 2007, 04:20 PM
And people wonder why fans of the PFL get ripped.

MY LORD!

This gets my vote for silliest post of the young season.

Death Dealer
September 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
It is very possible that every PFL team wins today.

So. xcoffeex

AZGrizFan
September 15th, 2007, 04:22 PM
You've got to be kidding me.

And people wonder why fans of the PFL get ripped.

MY LORD!

This gets my vote for silliest post of the young season.

But remember, it's not about SOS, it's about the Old Guard keeping them down.... xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx

89Hen
September 15th, 2007, 04:26 PM
But remember, it's not about SOS, it's about the Old Guard keeping them down.... xrolleyesx xrolleyesx xrolleyesx
xnodx xlolx xsmhx

AZGrizFan
September 15th, 2007, 04:28 PM
xnodx xlolx xsmhx

Yeah, I'm talkin' about you, bub. xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx xcoolx ;)

BlueHen86
September 15th, 2007, 04:29 PM

OMG, this is the funniest post I've ever read. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer is taking karate. Kramer wins a tournment and is the best student in the class. Turns out everyone else in the class was 10 years old.

The PFL is the 'Kramer' of FCS.xlolx

AZGrizFan
September 15th, 2007, 04:30 PM
OMG, this is the funniest post I've ever read. Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where Kramer is taking karate. Kramer wins a tournment and is the best student in the class. Turns out everyone else in the class was 10 years old.

The PFL is the 'Kramer' of FCS.xlolx

xlolx xlolx xlolx

Which would make DetroitFlyer who? Newman? xlolx

I actually gave DF rep points for having the guts to make that post.

laparka316
September 15th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Let the record show that the first post was the opinion of 1 PFL fan....

AZGrizFan
September 15th, 2007, 04:33 PM

But it's the ONE PFL fan who b*tches and moans the loudest regarding the "no respect" angle for the PFL, and the influence of the "Old Guard", and how it wouldn't matter who the PFL teams played they wouldn't get any respect, etc., etc., etc..... xcoffeex

89Hen
September 15th, 2007, 04:34 PM

xnodx Parka, you have a clean slate... DF has buried himself in these parts with his ranting on the "Old Guard"... cripes my Sig is dedicated to him and several of the San Diego fans.

BlueHen86
September 15th, 2007, 04:36 PM
At least you guys played somebody this year.xthumbsupx
And have another 'somebody' on the schedule.xthumbsupx

AZGrizFan
September 15th, 2007, 04:43 PM
At least you guys played somebody this year.xthumbsupx
And have another 'somebody' on the schedule.xthumbsupx

And BEAT that first "somebody". xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xbowx xbowx

laparka316
September 15th, 2007, 04:44 PM
All I know is we have to get mighty healthy in a week... Looks like we may be down three defensive starters against Northern Iowa.

USDFAN_55
September 15th, 2007, 04:47 PM
I don't understand why you guys are jumping down DF's throat. He is just being excited about the PFL victories. I don't see anything in his comment about respect or playoffs. You guys need to call of your dogs.

DetroitFlyer
September 15th, 2007, 04:58 PM
You guys go far too much on your initial instinct, without ever thinking about what you are saying.... Butler may have been on the brink of killing football.... Instead, they have recruited well, renovated the Butler Bowl, and scheduled some games they could win! 3-0 will maintain fan interest and support AND build confidence in a young, rebuilding program. Maybe one of you "AGS Brains" can explain to me how Butler playing three FCS teams and getting blown out would be beneficial to the survival of Butler football.... I'm waiting.... Pretty much the same story at Valpo, although they are not even at Butler's level yet. Still, 2-1 after three games is a vast improvement over recent seasons and once again builds confidence in a program and a young, rebuilding team. As for Davidson, it seems to me that they defeated the exact same foe that some team in Boone played last week.... Dayton played CSU to put butts in the seats. I think the game drew 6000+. Not bad when our average is usually around 4400 or so.... And Dayton won 40-0, with the fourth string in for most of the second half. Frankly, it is nice for the non-starters that work just as hard as the first team, to get some game time. It also helps to develop young players for the future. Our third string QB and probably the starter next year got to throw his first ever passes in a college game today. Later today, USD plays fully funded Northern Colorado. Next week, Dayton plays at Fordham and Drake hosts Northern Iowa. So do not give me that "stuff" about playing FCS teams. The next eight games Dayton plays are against FCS teams! As I said, I am not a fan of these games, but at least the lower tier of the PFL is winning them this year. Not something that could be said in the past. As for laughter from the NEC fans, going into this week, the PFL was ranked above the "mighty" NEC again by Sagarin! Probably still true after today!

89Hen
September 15th, 2007, 04:59 PM
I don't understand why you guys are jumping down DF's throat. He is just being excited about the PFL victories. I don't see anything in his comment about respect or playoffs. You guys need to call of your dogs.
Maybe, but 639 of 640 posts that were have us used to piling on.

DetroitFlyer
September 15th, 2007, 05:24 PM
The exact attendance at the Dayton / Central State game today was 6,426. Not bad for a program that has been drawing 4000 to 4500 per game at home in recent years. The last time we broke 6000 was when Yale came to town. I'll look up the number if I can find it, but I think it was a bit less than what today's attendance was.... Maybe we should have brought in NEC powerhouses Saint Francis or Wagner, they would probably have pulled in 6000+.... Not!

BlueHen86
September 15th, 2007, 05:25 PM
You guys go far too much on your initial instinct, without ever thinking about what you are saying.... Butler may have been on the brink of killing football.... Instead, they have recruited well, renovated the Butler Bowl, and scheduled some games they could win! 3-0 will maintain fan interest and support AND build confidence in a young, rebuilding program. Maybe one of you "AGS Brains" can explain to me how Butler playing three FCS teams and getting blown out would be beneficial to the survival of Butler football.... I'm waiting.... Pretty much the same story at Valpo, although they are not even at Butler's level yet. Still, 2-1 after three games is a vast improvement over recent seasons and once again builds confidence in a program and a young, rebuilding team. As for Davidson, it seems to me that they defeated the exact same foe that some team in Boone played last week.... Dayton played CSU to put butts in the seats. I think the game drew 6000+. Not bad when our average is usually around 4400 or so.... And Dayton won 40-0, with the fourth string in for most of the second half. Frankly, it is nice for the non-starters that work just as hard as the first team, to get some game time. It also helps to develop young players for the future. Our third string QB and probably the starter next year got to throw his first ever passes in a college game today. Later today, USD plays fully funded Northern Colorado. Next week, Dayton plays at Fordham and Drake hosts Northern Iowa. So do not give me that "stuff" about playing FCS teams. The next eight games Dayton plays are against FCS teams! As I said, I am not a fan of these games, but at least the lower tier of the PFL is winning them this year. Not something that could be said in the past. As for laughter from the NEC fans, going into this week, the PFL was ranked above the "mighty" NEC again by Sagarin! Probably still true after today!
DF - In all sincerity I wish the PFL luck in the games you mentioned. Crow all you want if you win some of them, but wins over DII and DIII teams aren't going to impress many on this board.

AZGrizFan
September 15th, 2007, 05:26 PM
DF - In all sincerity I wish the PFL luck in the games you mentioned. Crow all you want if you win some of them, but wins over DII and DIII teams aren't going to impress any on this board.

fixed it.

DetroitFlyer
September 15th, 2007, 05:40 PM
You may have noticed that "impressing AGS" posters on this board has not exactly been my top priority....xlolx Butler, at 3-0, and Valparaiso at 2-1, are a big deal back in Indiana, I can assure you.... Give them some time.... The last time Valpo played a fully funded team, they lost something like 63-3. It is going to take them a while to build back up. Also, do not be surprised if Butler or Valpo pull of an upset in the PFL this year. It happened to my Flyers last year against Butler, and it put us into a tailspin that we never recovered from. After 15 years, PFL conference games are getting to be good rivalries....

lc83
September 15th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Go Dawgs!!!

BlueHen86
September 15th, 2007, 09:21 PM
fixed it.
LOL, thanks!

rmutv
September 15th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Just to add another side to DF's original post. He happened to omit the scores of those wins that he was so excited about...

Butler reached their 3-0 mark via an 11-8 win at home versus St. Joseph's (IN), a D-3 team. Davidson hit 2-1 with a win at home 21-20 over D-2 Lenior-Rhyne. Dayton's 3-0 mark was a 40-0 win over D-2 Central State (also an HBCU).

Also, Drake's win over NAIA Wisconsin-Platteville has already been documented.

The one thing DF should hang the PFL's hat on is San Diego currently up 30+ over Northern Colorado.

Look, it's not about the fact that these games are being scheduled. It's the fact that wins over these teams are being celebrated as major accomplishments while, in the same breath, certain PFL members are begging for inclusion in the FCS Playoffs. For fans of schools in the NEC, where we've seen scholarships added and teams scheduling much tougher games as a whole, it's a slap in the face.

lizrdgizrd
September 15th, 2007, 10:24 PM

The exact attendance at the Dayton / Central State game today was 6,426. Not bad for a program that has been drawing 4000 to 4500 per game at home in recent years. The last time we broke 6000 was when Yale came to town. I'll look up the number if I can find it, but I think it was a bit less than what today's attendance was.... Maybe we should have brought in NEC powerhouses Saint Francis or Wagner, they would probably have pulled in 6000+.... Not!

You may have noticed that "impressing AGS" posters on this board has not exactly been my top priority....xlolx Butler, at 3-0, and Valparaiso at 2-1, are a big deal back in Indiana, I can assure you.... Give them some time.... The last time Valpo played a fully funded team, they lost something like 63-3. It is going to take them a while to build back up. Also, do not be surprised if Butler or Valpo pull of an upset in the PFL this year. It happened to my Flyers last year against Butler, and it put us into a tailspin that we never recovered from. After 15 years, PFL conference games are getting to be good rivalries....
DF, if nothing else, you are always good for a laugh! xlolx

Seriously, good job to the PFL for winning games. That's the first step on the road to respectability. xthumbsupx

But really, crowing over DII and DIII squeakers isn't exactly what you want to hang your hat on when you start begging for inclusion to the playoffs.

Drake has one nice win already this year. Have a good showing against UNI and I think you'll see your boys in the top 25 (already are in my top 25). But when most of your conferencemates can barely beat DII and DIII teams, don't expect us to think your wins over them are worth much. xtwocentsx

DetroitFlyer
September 15th, 2007, 10:34 PM
Every PFL team wins today. Looks like another week of the NEC looking up at the PFL..

BigApp
September 15th, 2007, 10:45 PM
hooray. xcoffeex

rmutv
September 15th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Every PFL team wins today. Looks like another week of the NEC looking up at the PFL..

The PFL had one team (San Diego) playing another FCS team. The NEC had everyone BUT Central Connecticut State playing an FCS team.

Next week, the only PFL teams playing FCS teams are Morehead State (hosting Robert Morris) and Drake (hosting Northern Iowa). Every single NEC team plays an FCS team, except for Central Connecticut State, which plays FBS Western Michigan.

The following week is conference play.

DetroitFlyer
September 15th, 2007, 10:58 PM
I guess Fordham is no longer an FCS team? Do your homework young one!

HensRock
September 15th, 2007, 11:03 PM
I think the Valpo and Drake wins today were especially impressive because they were on the road.

Think about how impressive that is to go go to a Div-III team and win in their house!

um.... wait a minute...

DetroitFlyer
September 15th, 2007, 11:05 PM
Yep, it sure beats going there and losing!!

HensRock
September 15th, 2007, 11:09 PM
The point was - Why are they going there in the first place?
It's pathetic for a Div I team to be travelling to a Div III.

rmutv
September 15th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I guess Fordham is no longer an FCS team? Do your homework young one!

Wow. One more. Ladeeda.

GOTOREROS
September 16th, 2007, 01:30 AM
Well PFL Champ USD spanked NEC Champ Monmouth on the road 27-7 last year. Not much for NEC fans to say until we meet again at the end of the year.....something a few people call "scoreboard"......good luck the rest of the way all!