PDA

View Full Version : Mourning the passing of EKU/WKU?

Maroons
September 13th, 2007, 04:27 PM
The facts:
- EKU will play WKU this weekend in Bowling Green, Ky.
- It will be the 79th meeting between the schools dating back to 1914.
- It is not really an FCS rivalry game anymore as WKU is in the first year of their two-year transition to FBS.
- It is still a rivalry game.
- The series is slated to end next season when WKU visits EKU in Richmond, Ky. for what could be the last time in a long time.

The sad part:
- It has always been the most anticipated regular season game on either schedule.
- It was voted I-AA Game of the Year a few years back.
- Mutually, the schools are each other's greatest rivals.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone out here in the FCS community is sad to see the sun set on the annual "Battle of the Bluegrass." While I will enjoy the Colonel victory this weekend, I regret the fact that the series is coming to an end.

OL FU
September 13th, 2007, 04:30 PM
It is always sad to see a rivalry fad:(

Not at this level but apparently PC's move to FCS has ended their rivalry with Newberry. The schools are like 20 miles apart.

Any body remember what the name for the rivalry:o

TheValleyRaider
September 13th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Agreed. Always hate to see a longtime rivalry end like this. EKU will probably make the occasional trip to Bowling Green, but it seems the Bluegrass battle will have to be taken up by other sports instead.

Maroons
September 13th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Anyone care to make a prediction? I'm calling for 31-24 EKU.

citdog
September 13th, 2007, 04:48 PM
It is always sad to see a rivalry fad:(

Not at this level but apparently PC's move to FCS has ended their rivalry with Newberry. The schools are like 20 miles apart.

Any body remember what the name for the rivalry:o

battle for the bronze derby

OL FU
September 13th, 2007, 04:50 PM
battle for the bronze derby

That was it. How soon we forget:(

Took All of one year:o

EKU05
September 13th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Agreed. Always hate to see a longtime rivalry end like this. EKU will probably make the occasional trip to Bowling Green, but it seems the Bluegrass battle will have to be taken up by other sports instead.

It won't be basketball as WKU coach Darrin Horn announced that they will not renew that series after the coming season's trip to Richmond.

By the way...

Colonels......28
Hilltoppers...24

Killtoppers90
September 13th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I am sad to see it end as well but times change.

WKU - 34
EKU - 21

Franks Tanks
September 13th, 2007, 09:07 PM
I am sad to see it end as well but times change.

WKU - 34
EKU - 21

This isnt a change for the better, abandon your longtime rival to be a FBS dormat is a conference that would MAYBE be the best conference if they are FCS.

BlueHen86
September 13th, 2007, 10:02 PM
This isnt a change for the better, abandon your longtime rival to be a FBS dormat is a conference that would MAYBE be the best conference if they are FCS.
Agreed, unless you can move into a BCS conference like UConn did I don't see the point in moving to FBS.

TheBisonator
September 13th, 2007, 10:18 PM

Actually, I'd be willing to bet that next year's Gateway would be better than the Sun Belt.

TheValleyRaider
September 13th, 2007, 11:04 PM
To be fair to WKU, I can respect the decision to join the Sun Belt because they're Sun Belt in every other sport. It is a good thing if you can play all your sports in the same conference, enhancing rivalries and that sort of thing. The Sun Belt is not the most desirable option to the rest of us, but I can see where it has value to WKU. The real unfortunate thing is because the Sun Belt now has a rule against visiting FCS teams, this series can't possibly continue in the manner it should, which is a real shame.

Ending the BBall series is weak, however. You've got plenty of non-Con games in a basketball season, what's one against an old rival? xnonox

McNeese_beat
September 13th, 2007, 11:13 PM
We can totally relate down in Louisiana. McNeese and USL (now La.-Lafayette), separated by about 70 miles of Interstate-10, were bitter rivals for 36 years until McNeese's (along with all of the Southland but USL) drop to I-AA in 1982 led to the end of the series after 1986. The game used to pack both stadiums and would be the game both teams would look forward to.

It was a great rivalry because it had the same kind of dynamic that a Texas vs. A&M or an Ole Miss vs. State rivalry has. Like Texas and Ole Miss, ULL looks at itself as the older, more established and generally superior of the two schools (not completely without merit) and looks at McNeese (like Texas A&M and Mississippi State get viewed by their rivals) as a bunch of bumpkins. McNeese looks at ULL as a bunch of arrogant loudmouths who aren't quite all they made themselves out to be. You just can't beat that kind of stuff for a rivalry.

They are playing this week for the first time since 86 (McNeese leads the series by the way) and it seems to me the rivalry has picked up where it left off. There's still the same bitterness. Still the same air of superiority on one side and the feisty attitude on the other.

They'll put 25-30k in Cajun Field for this game, then they might not play again for another 21 years. That would be sad.

Let the powers that be at both Kentucky schools see what's happening at Lafayette this weekend. It's going to draw big just like it used too. WKU and EKU should pay attention to that.

henfan
September 14th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Delaware's long rivalry with Temple continued for a decade after TU reclassified as a University Division team in the early '70s. While the ending of this bitter rivalry was unfortunate and missed, our program seems to have survived pretty well without it. Temple on the other hand...xsmhx

Franks Tanks
September 14th, 2007, 08:26 AM
Actually, I'd be willing to bet that next year's Gateway would be better than the Sun Belt.

Yes that was my point, I realized I stated it in a confusing way. I would say the Sunbelt is about equal to the SoCon, Gateway, CAA, and we will see how far it is removed from the Southland in McNeese vs. SOUTHERN LA

Franks Tanks
September 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM
To be fair to WKU, I can respect the decision to join the Sun Belt because they're Sun Belt in every other sport. It is a good thing if you can play all your sports in the same conference, enhancing rivalries and that sort of thing. The Sun Belt is not the most desirable option to the rest of us, but I can see where it has value to WKU. The real unfortunate thing is because the Sun Belt now has a rule against visiting FCS teams, this series can't possibly continue in the manner it should, which is a real shame.

Ending the BBall series is weak, however. You've got plenty of non-Con games in a basketball season, what's one against an old rival? xnonox

You are right, since they are in the Sun-Belt in other sports it does make sense. I just hate that , now that we are FBS we are so superior attitude. How is Buffalo's venture in FBS doing, I dont think they have beaten an FBS team not named Temple in quite a while.

RadMann
September 14th, 2007, 08:29 AM
It is unfortunate that what are basically artificial barriers are preventing what should be big rivalries from continuing. The scholarship difference is a factor, but ending longtime rivalries is not good for the sport of college football in the areas where this occurs. Hopefully the stigma to the FBS program from playing the FCS program will diminish because having the opportunity to play all programs in your region is the best scenario. UD playing Navy and Maryland is good, but it would be better if UD was also playing Rutgers, Temple, and maybe other FBS programs from the region more.

RaiderInTheZone
September 14th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Yes that was my point, I realized I stated it in a confusing way. I would say the Sunbelt is about equal to the SoCon, Gateway, CAA, and we will see how far it is removed from the Southland in McNeese vs. SOUTHERN LA

Ahem. The Southern Conference minus Appalachian is not a very strong league anymore. Even Georgia Southern is falling by the wayside. It just goes to show how uneducated you are when you try to put the likes of Wofford, Elon, Samford, Western Carolina, UTC (who lost to Division II Carson-Newman), and The Citadel in the same fold with teams that obviously have shown more strength playing better competition every weekend than those 1-AA schools who play a season long schedule of mediocre opponents and influx of former Division II and III schools like High Point, Gardner-Webb, and Presbyterian. What's next? Lenoir-Rhyne? Newberry? Mars Hill?

And won't you feel dumb when Louisiana puts McNeese State away so quick that the game will be over by halftime and only to turn around and finish in the bottom half of the Sun Belt which I don't expect to see from the Cajuns. They have a very good team this year and will compete for our league's title. I have no doubt whatsoever that Louisiana will not only beat McNeese but beat them convincingly.

When we left 1-AA, we said goodbye to HBCU Tennessee State and former OVC foes Murray and Tennessee Tech. I think our move to the Sun Belt has paid great dividends for us more than the Low-VC ever could. We have a Top 25 program in women's basketball, volleyball, and a national champion in tennis just last season. Football went to the reputable Motor City Bowl which drew a record crowd and record television audience that eclipsed the 1-AA National Title game more than 10 times over.

We are building a new $6 million baseball stadium, installing a videoscoreboard in the football stadium larger than any in the Sun Belt as well as 2 Daktronic videoscoreboards in our basketball arena. How many schools with 1-AA football can say they have videoscoreboards in an on-campus basketball arena? VERY FEW, I'd say.

We're building more open air luxury suites in the football stadium too. We've just installed a one-of-a-kind $800,000 field turf last summer. Our schedules are looking more upscale. Give me home games against Virginia, Western Kentucky, Louisiana, and Arkansas State anyday over the likes of Nicholl's State, McNeese, or Stephen F. Austin.

MT Soccer and track has a new stadium that seats over 7,000. I'd say there isn't a 1-AA school in the country that has a soccer stadium that seats that many.

Division 1-A was the driving force in our athletics programs but all of our sports have benefited from it. Why shouldn't Western Kentucky go for the gold instead of being held back in the Division 1-AA Gateway?

You know, the next time there's a conference shift in 1-A such as in the Big East or CUSA, you want to know who those leagues are going to come calling when it comes to looking for new members? They'll look for schools with 1-A football. They'll look at Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky before even Appalachian State and Georgia Southern. You want to know why. Because we have 1-A football and those schools do not.

When East Carolina's athletic director was interviewed about the future of Conference USA, you want to know why he mentioned it would benefit his school better to have a large 16-member CUSA than the current affiliation and scheduling and specifically mentioned Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky as good additions to Conference USA? It because MT and WKU bring a great market to the table that would benefit the eastern CUSA members moreso than having to travel to Houston and Dallas to play the likes of Houston, Rice, and SMU. Fans of schools in the eastern part of CUSA can't relate to those schools, but they can relate to Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky and Nashville, Tennessee.

We made our moves to benefit ourselves. Don't hate on us because we had the BALLS to step up and play the best in the country while your 1-AA schools settle for smaller and less entertaining markets, smaller venues, and little or no name recognition.

Franks Tanks
September 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Ahem. The Southern Conference minus Appalachian is not a very strong league anymore. Even Georgia Southern is falling by the wayside. It just goes to show how uneducated you are when you try to put the likes of Wofford, Elon, Samford, Western Carolina, UTC (who lost to Division II Carson-Newman), and The Citadel in the same fold with teams that obviously have shown more strength playing better competition every weekend than those 1-AA schools who play a season long schedule of mediocre opponents and influx of former Division II and III schools like High Point, Gardner-Webb, and Presbyterian. What's next? Lenoir-Rhyne? Newberry? Mars Hill?

And won't you feel dumb when Louisiana puts McNeese State away so quick that the game will be over by halftime and only to turn around and finish in the bottom half of the Sun Belt which I don't expect to see from the Cajuns. They have a very good team this year and will compete for our league's title. I have no doubt whatsoever that Louisiana will not only beat McNeese but beat them convincingly.

When we left 1-AA, we said goodbye to HBCU Tennessee State and former OVC foes Murray and Tennessee Tech. I think our move to the Sun Belt has paid great dividends for us more than the Low-VC ever could. We have a Top 25 program in women's basketball, volleyball, and a national champion in tennis just last season. Football went to the reputable Motor City Bowl which drew a record crowd and record television audience that eclipsed the 1-AA National Title game more than 10 times over.

We are building a new $6 million baseball stadium, installing a videoscoreboard in the football stadium larger than any in the Sun Belt as well as 2 Daktronic videoscoreboards in our basketball arena. How many schools with 1-AA football can say they have videoscoreboards in an on-campus basketball arena? VERY FEW, I'd say.

We're building more open air luxury suites in the football stadium too. We've just installed a one-of-a-kind $800,000 field turf last summer. Our schedules are looking more upscale. Give me home games against Virginia, Western Kentucky, Louisiana, and Arkansas State anyday over the likes of Nicholl's State, McNeese, or Stephen F. Austin.
MT Soccer and track has a new stadium that seats over 7,000. I'd say there isn't a 1-AA school in the country that has a soccer stadium that seats that many.

Division 1-A was the driving force in our athletics programs but all of our sports have benefited from it. Why shouldn't Western Kentucky go for the gold instead of being held back in the Division 1-AA Gateway?

You know, the next time there's a conference shift in 1-A such as in the Big East or CUSA, you want to know who those leagues are going to come calling when it comes to looking for new members? They'll look for schools with 1-A football. They'll look at Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky before even Appalachian State and Georgia Southern. You want to know why. Because we have 1-A football and those schools do not.

When East Carolina's athletic director was interviewed about the future of Conference USA, you want to know why he mentioned it would benefit his school better to have a large 16-member CUSA than the current affiliation and scheduling and specifically mentioned Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky as good additions to Conference USA? It because MT and WKU bring a great market to the table that would benefit the eastern CUSA members moreso than having to travel to Houston and Dallas to play the likes of Houston, Rice, and SMU. Fans of schools in the eastern part of CUSA can't relate to those schools, but they can relate to Middle Tennessee and Western Kentucky and Nashville, Tennessee.

We made our moves to benefit ourselves. Don't hate on us because we had the BALLS to step up and play the best in the country while your 1-AA schools settle for smaller and less entertaining markets, smaller venues, and little or no name recognition.

I still think App State or NDSU and maybe Montana wins the Sun-Belt, and you wouldnt be able to convince me otherwise so its not worth trying. Also I love the line that you UPGRADED your schedule with Western Kentucky, Arkansas State, and La-Lafayette, more FBS imposters.

henfan
September 14th, 2007, 09:02 AM
In the case of the SBC putting a moratorium on their teams from playing FCS road games, that's unfortunate but definitely understandable. When you're trying to overcome the perception that you're on the same competitive level as FCS conferences, you've got to resort to those kinds of tactics to create a sort of separation in the mind of the public. I'd imagine you'll see less and less SBC-FCS games in coming years for that very reason.

I've seen this sort of thing happen before. It's the old 'Temple Complex'.

BlueHen86
September 14th, 2007, 09:12 AM

I'm still not sure what school you a talking about in this post, so much for name recognition.xconfusedx

nmatsen
September 14th, 2007, 09:18 AM

That is crazy, the Sun-Belt top to bottom could not hold a candle to the Big Sky or the Gateway.

Franks Tanks
September 14th, 2007, 09:21 AM
That is crazy, the Sun-Belt top to bottom could not hold a candle to the Big Sky or the Gateway.

Im not prepared to say the Sun-Belt is defintily worse, I think it would be very close.

RaiderInTheZone
September 14th, 2007, 09:21 AM
In the case of the SBC putting a moratorium on their teams from playing FCS road games, that's unfortunate but definitely understandable. When you're trying to overcome the perception that you're on the same competitive level as FCS conferences, you've got to resort to those kinds of tactics to create a sort of separation in the mind of the public. I'd imagine you'll see less and less Sun Belt Conference games against 1-AA teams in coming years for that very reason.

I've seen this sort of thing happen before. It's the old 'Temple Complex'.

You're wrong. Middle Tennessee's AD Chris Massaro already guaranteed that we would schedule a regional 1-AA opponent every year since a win over a 1-AA team counts toward bowl eligibility every year instead of every four years. Most of your Power Six schools are now taking on more 1-AA teams for that very reason.

Boy, I tell you what, HenFan. You must really suffer from small man syndrome. Maybe the reason why the Sun Belt won't allow it's members to play away games against 1-AA teams is because none of the other leagues allow it either! Did you ever think that maybe the Sun Belt was just publicly following suit as every single 1-A league has done before them? You crack me up with your small man syndrome. If you aren't bashing the Sun Belt, you aren't happy.

nmatsen
September 14th, 2007, 09:26 AM
Wow, this is funny. If he would talk smack about the sun-belt to a BCS conference board they would laugh at him, so he comes over here to make himself feel better about his team essentially being I-AA with a I-A title. And you think Henfan has small man syndrome? Do you even know what small man syndrome is?

Wow, who hangs out on a I-AA message board when they are so high and mighty in the sun-belt. Sounds kind of funny doesn't it. I think I am going to head on over the Division II message board and talk some smack. Anybody want to come with me? Oh thats right, I have no business going to a D-II board, we don't play D-II. Every thing that has been said about your conference on here dude has been justified by you continuing to place yourself (a sunbelt fan) on the same level as I-AA (by visiting and participating in I-AA boards.) Hey, when was the last sun-belt victory over a Big XII team or a Big 10 (11) team? No smack intended, I seriously want to know. I-AA has two this year. In case you haven't noticed. You might say "they aren't against good teams" oh well, I don't see you playing them, and beating them.

RaiderInTheZone
September 14th, 2007, 09:29 AM
Im not prepared to say the Sun-Belt is defintily worse, I think it would be very close.

And I wonder how Youngstown State and such teams would do lasting through a season-long schedule that included several ranked Power Six schools instead of just one annual butt-kicking in an easy and effortless showing by the Ohio State Buckeyes only to follow that up by playing several 63-scholarship or less programs that only make Youngstown and other Gateway teams look good because they really aren't good competition to begin with.

I can assure you right now that there is not a school in 1-AA (and this includes Appalachian) that would or could beat LSU, Louisville, Clemson, Florida, or Texas A&M. Yes, we play several of those type of schools each season instead of just one. And unlike Michigan this year, those teams are actually good. I seriously doubt any 1-AA team plays a schedule like the ones that FAU and Troy has and comes away with a winning season.

lizrdgizrd
September 14th, 2007, 09:33 AM
I can assure you right now that there is not a school in 1-AA (and this includes Appalachian) that would or could beat LSU, Louisville, Clemson, Florida, or Texas A&M. Yes, we play several of those type of schools each season instead of just one. And unlike Michigan this year, those teams are actually good. I seriously doubt any 1-AA team plays a schedule like the ones that FAU and Troy has and comes away with a winning season.
Are you trying to say that Sun-Belt teams could beat LSU, Louisville, Clemson, Florida or Texas A&M? Are you saying that you're not just going to those schools to get your a$$es handed to you with a paycheck? Playing several top BCS schools and loosing is not doing any better than FCS teams. xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx xrotatehx

henfan
September 14th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Football went to the reputable Motor City Bowl which drew a record crowd and record television audience that eclipsed the 1-AA National Title game more than 10 times over.

Man, you never let the facts stand in your way from making outrageous statements, do you?xlolx

The '06 Motor City Bowl received a 1.7 rating, while the '06 FCS Championship Game received a 1.26 rating. That wouldn't be close to 10 times the audience. Nice try but there's little difference between those two numbers. (By comparison, the '07 Fiesta Bowl logged an 18.6.)

It should be noted that the '06 Motor City Bowl, which featured Belch team Mid Tennessee, attracted significantly less of an audience than the '05 game between Memphis & Akron (2.17 rating.)

nmatsen
September 14th, 2007, 09:37 AM
And I wonder how Youngstown State and such teams would do lasting through a season-long schedule that included several ranked Power Six schools instead of just one annual butt-kicking in an easy and effortless showing by the Ohio State Buckeyes only to follow that up by playing several 63-scholarship or less programs that only make Youngstown and other Gateway teams look good because they really aren't good competition to begin with.

The great thing here is that we will get a chance to find out with WKU. In 6 years in the Gateway I believe that they didn't win one auto bid (which means they would have been the true conference title holder in the gateway) and probably had an average finish in the gateway of third. I would bet you a million dollars right now that WKU will finish in the top half of the sun-belt. Proofs in the pudding dude.

BlueHen86
September 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Your conference is 0 - 13 in out of conference games this year. That's embarrasing. The idea that you come here and brag about being FCS is amusing. Anybody can LOSE.

You do a good job of name dropping, now try and beat some of the teams you mention.

Franks Tanks
September 14th, 2007, 09:38 AM

Please tell me when a sun-belt school has been competitive against this schedule xlolx. Sun-Belt teams lose just as bad to high level FBS teams as FCS teams do. Playing them more often just means that you are getting more money games to support your fledgiling progrem. Yes Troy had a winning season and it breaks down like this. Lose all 4 games to real BCS schools, then run the table in the 7 or so games they play in the Sun-Belt. How does that prove anything more than a FCS school losing two BCS games then running the table in the Big Sky for example? It is the same season, lose to the big boys and beat your peers. Please tell me what quality wins Troy or FAU had recently?

RaiderInTheZone
September 14th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Please tell me when a sun-belt school has been competitive against this schedule xlolx. Sun-Belt teams lose just as bad to high level FBS teams as FCS teams do. Playing them more often just means that you are getting more money games to support your fledgiling progrem. Yes Troy had a winning season and it breaks down like this. Lose all 4 games to real BCS schools, then run the table in the 7 or so games they play in the Sun-Belt. How does that prove anything more than a FCS school losing two BCS games then running the table in the Big Sky for example? It is the same season, lose to the big boys and beat your peers. Please tell me what quality wins Troy or FAU had recently?

Yes, we lose, but I doubt very many 1-AA schools only lose by 8 points to a 2-0 and #4 Texas Longhorns team as Arkansas State did, and I SERIOUSLY doubt there is a school in 1-AA that would hang 42 points and 555 yards of offense on a 2-0 and #9-ranked Louisville Cardinals team. I think we were being competitive. At least the 1-A teams our schools have played have won a game this year unlike Michigan, unlike Iowa State, unlike Northern Illinois and Rice.

In '04 Troy beat #23 Missouri while Florida Atlantic won at Hawaii. That counts for something. Not bad for a seven year old league. Not very many 1-AA leagues with decades, scores, and half centuries worth of existence have seen that.

Franks Tanks
September 14th, 2007, 09:54 AM
Yes, we lose, but I doubt very many 1-AA schools only lose by 8 points to a 2-0 and #4 Texas Longhorns team as Arkansas State did, and I SERIOUSLY doubt there is a school in 1-AA that would hang 42 points and 555 yards of offense on a 2-0 and #9-ranked Louisville Cardinals team. I think we were being competitive. At least the 1-A teams our schools have played have won a game this year unlike Michigan, unlike Iowa State, unlike Northern Illinois and Rice.

In '04 Troy beat #23 Missouri while Florida Atlantic won at Hawaii. That counts for something. Not bad for a seven year old league. Not very many 1-AA leagues with decades, scores, and half centuries worth of existence have seen that.

Florida Atlantic also lost to "non- scholly" Colgate in the 03 playoffs. One win over Missouri and a terrible ( at the time) Hawaii team is all ya got? I think App state would do just as well again that Louisville D, they may be worse than Michigan's and are probably the most overrated team in in FBS right now.

BlueHen86
September 14th, 2007, 09:57 AM

Yes, because they scheduled you.

Franks Tanks
September 14th, 2007, 10:03 AM
Yes, because they scheduled you.

xlolx When one Sun-Belt team schedules another Sun-Belt team, at least one will come away with a "FBS" win.

McNeese_beat
September 14th, 2007, 10:19 AM
You're wrong. Middle Tennessee's AD Chris Massaro already guaranteed that we would schedule a regional 1-AA opponent every year since a win over a 1-AA team counts toward bowl eligibility every year instead of every four years. Most of your Power Six schools are now taking on more 1-AA teams for that very reason.

Boy, I tell you what, HenFan. You must really suffer from small man syndrome. Maybe the reason why the Sun Belt won't allow it's members to play away games against 1-AA teams is because none of the other leagues allow it either! Did you ever think that maybe the Sun Belt was just publicly following suit as every single 1-A league has done before them? You crack me up with your small man syndrome. If you aren't bashing the Sun Belt, you aren't happy.

What has definitely happened is that the Sun Belt is scheduling games against I-AA/FCS teams NOT in the power conferences (Gateway, Southern, Colonial, Southland, Big Sky) because those teams traditionally beat Sun Belt teams (the Southland is 12-6 against former SLC members in Division I-A/FBS since 2000. I think it's 11-5 against the Sun Belt and 1-1 against La. Tech, but I'm not 100 percent sure).

I don't see how anyone who is representing a program that never made it past the second round of the I-AA playoffs can come back and degrade the level of competition at the I-AA/FCS level. Heck, the Sun Belt Conference does not have a single member that was dominant at the I-AA level before moving up. Troy was good, but it never made a championship game. Arkansas State was good, but not great. ULM won a national title in 1987, the ONLY I-AA national title by a Sun Belt member until WKU joins, but it had slipped back to the pack by the time it moved up. Western Kentucky was a good program that had a national title, but was hardly the consistent winner that a Montana, Marshall, Delaware, App State, Georgia Southern have been.

I just see no leg to stand on for the Sun Belt to talk ANY smack to I-AA/FCS.

BlueHen86
September 14th, 2007, 12:55 PM
xlolx When one Sun-Belt team schedules another Sun-Belt team, at least one will come away with a "FBS" win.

Apparently, that's the only way the Sun Belt can win a game.xlolx

Killtoppers90
September 14th, 2007, 01:36 PM
You all are delusional - I can count maybe 15 teams in ALL of FCS that can compete with the SBC on "ANY GIVEN SATURDAY" on a week to week basis. I figure the top 2 -3 teams in each conference can hang with WKU, MTSU, AK State or even FAU for that matter.

Franks Tanks
September 14th, 2007, 01:40 PM
You all are delusional - I can count maybe 15 teams in ALL of FCS that can compete with the SBC on "ANY GIVEN SATURDAY" on a week to week basis. I figure the top 2 -3 teams in each conference can hang with WKU, MTSU, AK State or even FAU for that matter.

I think that the top 15 FCS teams are every bit as good as the Sun-Belt. We will see this weekend at the Western-Eastern game and the USL- MCNeese game, and I will concede I was wrong if I must.

Maroons
September 14th, 2007, 04:12 PM
Hmm... this thread has been hijacked! No matter. I should have known where it would go and that someone from the Belt would be by to champion the move.

At any rate, McNeese St. fans who posted... I feel your pain and will feel it more acutely in the coming years no doubt.

BearsCountry
September 14th, 2007, 06:11 PM

Next year Missouri State will have both and an arena that will be BCS quality.

gophoenix
September 14th, 2007, 07:10 PM

Wow, and now Mr. Inferiority Complex has stooped to the level of posting on an FCS board to try and get respect.

Because at MTSU respect = dissing other schools they've never played.

I challenge MTSU to play any one of the teams they've named....

Or I challenge Mr. RaiderZonk to actually try to carry an intelligent conversation.

Franks Tanks
September 14th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Wow, and now Mr. Inferiority Complex has stooped to the level of posting on an FCS board to try and get respect.

Because at MTSU respect = dissing other schools they've never played.

I challenge MTSU to play any one of the teams they've named....

Or I challenge Mr. RaiderZonk to actually try to carry an intelligent conversation.

I respect Mid Tenn for trying to be "the best they can be" at the FBS level and they are making some progress. But still no need to talk smack when your are in no position to do so.

BlueHen86
September 14th, 2007, 09:15 PM
I respect Mid Tenn for trying to be "the best they can be" at the FBS level and they are making some progress. But still no need to talk smack when your are in no position to do so.
The amazing thing is that blowraider (or whatever his name is) joined this site in July of this year. And then comes here to talk trash today, when his conference is 0 - 13 OOC this year. Unreal.
His strongest argument was that his conference loses to good teams on the road.xlolx

catdaddy2402
September 15th, 2007, 06:04 AM
And then comes here to talk trash today, when his conference is 0 - 13 OOC this year.

Correction. 1-13, with a Troy blowout of Oklahoma St on national tv.

BlueHen86
September 15th, 2007, 06:08 AM
Correction. 1-13, with a Troy blowout of Oklahoma St on national tv.
I saw that, but my statement was true when I made it. Besides, 1 - 13 isn't anything to crow about.

RaiderInTheZone
September 15th, 2007, 08:18 AM
I saw that, but my statement was true when I made it. Besides, 1 - 13 isn't anything to crow about.

Puhleeze! You'd be crowing like a hen if your team was lucky enough to beat Oklahoma State. C'mon, Delaware boy, you're just miffed because the Sun Belt did something it's never done before--defeat a Power Six school by a convincing margin and in only it's seventh year of existence. You'll only see more and more of this from the Sun Belt with each passing year.

RaiderInTheZone
September 15th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Next year Missouri State will have both and an arena that will be BCS quality.

I kinda' like Missouri State's programs. They are getting better in other sports as well. By the way, congrats on the win in volleyball last week. Missouri State handed us our only loss of the season and knocked us out of the nation's Top 25, but I think we'll be back in the Top 25 in the next couple of weeks.

BlueHen86
September 15th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Puhleeze! You'd be crowing like a hen if your team was lucky enough to beat Oklahoma State. C'mon, Delaware boy, you're just miffed because the Sun Belt did something it's never done before--defeat a Power Six school by a convincing margin and in only it's seventh year of existence. You'll only see more and more of this from the Sun Belt with each passing year.
I could not care less about the Sun Belt. I'm only respnding to your posts because you are here. And why are you here? Why would someone from an FBS school register, post and brag about stuff that nobody cares about on a FCS board?

Killtoppers90
September 15th, 2007, 03:20 PM
Well up until last season, we were a FCS member and I still love the football here. Yeah we have moved up but I still try and keep up with what is going on in the gateway and other big FCS teams.

Killtoppers90
September 15th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Any questions now?

lizrdgizrd
September 15th, 2007, 10:10 PM
Any questions now?
Yeah, where's LooserInTheZone? I figured he'd come here to boast more about his awesome ULL team. Maybe he'll be man enough to come back and eat his crow. xeyebrowx

Franks Tanks
September 16th, 2007, 07:12 AM
Any questions now?

Yes, How bad does UL-Lafayette feel. They have spent 25 years spending all that money on "FBS" and the Sunbelt, and then get absolutely stomped by McNeese.

catdaddy2402
September 16th, 2007, 08:20 AM

No, not really. However had the game been Oklahoma State vs Troy from the Southland there would have been two huge differences in the game.

#1 The game would have been in Stillwater instead of Troy.
#2 The game never would have been on national TV.

Like it or not there are benefits for moving up, even into the Sun Belt.

BlueHen86
September 16th, 2007, 09:08 AM
No, not really. However had the game been Oklahoma State vs Troy from the Southland there would have been two huge differences in the game.

#1 The game would have been in Stillwater instead of Troy.
#2 The game never would have been on national TV.

Like it or not there are benefits for moving up, even into the Sun Belt.
That's great. My point still stands, why is any SunBelt fan coming to this site to brag? I don't care if they are 13 - 0. I don't see PAC-10 fans here bragging about there conference.

catdaddy2402
September 16th, 2007, 09:17 AM
My point still stands, why is any SunBelt fan coming to this site to brag?

I don't see any Sun Belt teams bragging, I see them defending themselves just as any fan of a team/conference would do if they were getting attacked.

BlueHen86
September 16th, 2007, 09:24 AM
I don't see any Sun Belt teams bragging, I see them defending themselves just as any fan of a team/conference would do if they were getting attacked.
You need to go back and reread the thread. The fan (not team - but fan) that I was responding to joined this site in June of this year, and now he is on here posting smack. If he doesn't want to be attacked by FCS fans he shouldn't post FBS crap on a FCS message board. It's a simple case of line and let live.

catdaddy2402
September 16th, 2007, 10:11 AM
The first shot was fired by a FCS fan.
Franks Tanks

You were the first to reply to him so you should know.

The second shot was fired by a FCS fan.
The Bisonator

Two shots by fans of FCS schools to the Sunbelt BEFORE RaiderintheZone made his first post, and in all honesty his post wasn't all that bad and held a lot of truth, especially about the SoCon.

If there were a Lonestar Conference message board out there (there could be, I dunno) and they made the statement that Abiline Christian and Tarleton State's wins over Southland Conference foes early this year meant that the Southland wasn't any better than a Div II conference and that the top teams in the Lonestar would without a doubt win the Southland there would be a 10 page thread on here talking all kinds of junk about how superior the Southland is to the Lonestar Conference, and there would be a path beat down to their board to dismiss the baseless claims by their fans.

BlueHen86
September 16th, 2007, 10:28 AM
The first shot was fired by a FCS fan.
Franks Tanks

You were the first to reply to him so you should know.

The second shot was fired by a FCS fan.
The Bisonator

Two shots by fans of FCS schools to the Sunbelt BEFORE RaiderintheZone made his first post, and in all honesty his post wasn't all that bad and held a lot of truth, especially about the SoCon.

If there were a Lonestar Conference message board out there (there could be, I dunno) and they made the statement that Abiline Christian and Tarleton State's wins over Southland Conference foes early this year meant that the Southland wasn't any better than a Div II conference and that the top teams in the Lonestar would without a doubt win the Southland there would be a 10 page thread on here talking all kinds of junk about how superior the Southland is to the Lonestar Conference, and there would be a path beat down to their board to dismiss the baseless claims by their fans.
But you are responding to me. I only speak for myself, if you have a problem with posts from others then respond to them.

Killtoppers90
September 16th, 2007, 12:59 PM
That's great. My point still stands, why is any SunBelt fan coming to this site to brag? I don't care if they are 13 - 0. I don't see PAC-10 fans here bragging about there conference.

Well genius, first off, most the teams in the PAC-10 were never 1-AA. So they wouldn't be here in the first place. Secondly, the teams in the PAC-10 are not even aware of your existence. Meanwhile, MTSU, WKU and many others WERE 1-AA teams at some pint in time and are aware. And I for a matter of fact still love the 1-AA competition, even if we are no longer in the division.

BearsCountry
September 16th, 2007, 01:26 PM
Actually Sun Belt had another win over a BCS school yesterday - Florida Atlantic beat Minnesota.

BlueHen86
September 16th, 2007, 01:27 PM
Well genius, first off, most the teams in the PAC-10 were never 1-AA. So they wouldn't be here in the first place. Secondly, the teams in the PAC-10 are not even aware of your existence. Meanwhile, MTSU, WKU and many others WERE 1-AA teams at some pint in time and are aware. And I for a matter of fact still love the 1-AA competition, even if we are no longer in the division.

Good job with the sarcastic name calling. Way to conduct an adult conversation. I guess you told me.xlolx xlolx xlolx

Killtoppers90
September 16th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Good job with the sarcastic name calling. Way to conduct an adult conversation. I guess you told me.xlolx xlolx xlolx

I was hoping you'd get that!

therealbigredrules
September 16th, 2007, 09:40 PM
My dad can beat up your dad...and EKU.

Now can we get back to the original topic?