PDA

View Full Version : IF Furman were to beat Clemson...

DuckDuckGriz
September 13th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Would that be a bigger upset than App State - Michigan? Clemson is a top 20 ranked opponent, looks alot better than Michigan and Furman (no offense) does not appear to be the cream of the FCS crop like App State is.

ChickenMan
September 13th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Would that be a bigger upset than App State - Michigan?

Yes

GoldandBlack
September 13th, 2007, 02:56 PM
Would it be a bigger upset than ASU-Michigan- probably yes, given the first two weeks' performances of both teams.

Would it be treated as a bigger upset by the media? Nah, not even close. They've already had their greatest upset in the modern history of Division I football- there's no way they'll admit anything better this soon. It would just be another freaky Saturday for the media, certainly not the beginning of a trend.xnonono2x

Seven Would Be Nice
September 13th, 2007, 02:58 PM
It would be arguably a better upset, but it wont be considered that. Clemson is a top 25 team, but its not "Michigan".

Hopefully if the FCS can upset the FBS enough, they will realize that rankings are complete bullcrap and move to a playoff system and have a REAL post season.

DuckDuckGriz
September 13th, 2007, 03:06 PM
It would be arguably a better upset, but it wont be considered that. Clemson is a top 25 team, but its not "Michigan".

Hopefully if the FCS can upset the FBS enough, they will realize that rankings are complete bullcrap and move to a playoff system and have a REAL post season.

That's true. No matter how good Clemson is or how bad Mich is -- the name reputation carries alot of weight.

Death Dealer
September 13th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Would that be a bigger upset than App State - Michigan? Clemson is a top 20 ranked opponent, looks alot better than Michigan and Furman (no offense) does not appear to be the cream of the FCS crop like App State is.
****** you very much too, DDG!:p

DuckDuckGriz
September 13th, 2007, 03:14 PM
****** you very much too, DDG!:p

It was a soft jab DD, shake it off. xlolx

CID1990
September 13th, 2007, 03:49 PM
I like Furman, and I will be pulling for them against Clempson, but let's face facts here. I didn't see the Furman-Hofstra game, but I did watch the entire Furman-PC game on TV, and I can definitely say that Furman is going to have to bring a different team on to the field with Clempson than they did with PC.

Furman should have destroyed PC. The Blue Hose's defense wasn't all that good, and their offense was very sloppy and outmatched at every position by Furman. If the Paladins show up in Death Valley with the same team that played PC, it is going to be a bloodletting.

Personally, I hope Furman just overlooked PC and we will see a different team against the Tigers, but after Hofstra I'm not all that optimistic.

appfan2008
September 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM
as everyone else has said the media and preception plays a big role into that and they will not think it is as great even though we will know better

89Hen
September 13th, 2007, 03:51 PM
IMO, no. On paper it may be, but in the eyes of most of the country it wouldn't. xtwocentsx

OL FU
September 13th, 2007, 04:11 PM
It would be to Furman fansxnodx

PaladinFan
September 13th, 2007, 04:16 PM
Come on, now. PC was a very good D2 team, brought in a coach known for tossing the ball all over the field, and had absolutely zero game film to go on.

Cold day when Citadel starts poking holes in how good Furman is at football.

citdog
September 13th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Citadel

IT'S THE CITADEL! xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xsplatx xsplatx xsplatx xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xarguex xshakingmadx xshakingmadx xshakingmadx xshakingmadx xshakingmadx

GoldandBlack
September 13th, 2007, 04:24 PM
IT'S THE CITADEL! xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xbangx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xflamemadx xsplatx xsplatx xsplatx xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xanim_chaix xarguex xshakingmadx xshakingmadx xshakingmadx xshakingmadx xshakingmadx

Was there a point you were trying to make?:D

OL FU
September 13th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Come on, now. PC was a very good D2 team, brought in a coach known for tossing the ball all over the field, and had absolutely zero game film to go on.

Yeah I thought the PC game was more about being rusty for the first game, then we played Hofstraxmadx :)

Zoo
September 13th, 2007, 04:43 PM
Boy, I really hope Furman can beat the living daylights outta Clemson. xlolx

Purple Knight
September 13th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah I thought the PC game was more about being rusty for the first game, then we played Hofstraxmadx :)

We went from Rusty to Rotten.

citdog
September 13th, 2007, 05:23 PM
We went from Rusty to Rotten.

sounds like the title of a PIL album!

SCPALADIN
September 13th, 2007, 05:48 PM
sounds like the title of a PIL album!

Nothing like an obscure British Punk/Rock band reference...xthumbsupx

mistersykes
September 13th, 2007, 07:02 PM
It would be bigger to the knowledgable fans. Unfortunately, that leaves out most people. ;) Either way, I'm rooting for the Paladins in this one.

ngineer
September 13th, 2007, 07:51 PM
Would certainly be in the ballpark, so to speak. Michigan got upset in "The Big House" before 107,000+..Clemson plays in "Death Valley"..Not as big, but an intimidating place in itself. Clemson certainly looks to have more weapons than Michigan. They clearly spanked FSU two weeks ago. Considering FU lost to Hofstra last week, I think it can arguably be a 'bigger' upset; but there's no objective way to measure. Two different games at different points in time with DIFFERENT EXPECTATIONS at the time. At the time, people viewed Michigan as the #5 team in the country.
Perhaps we could classify the two upsets as I and I-A...;) :D

HiHiYikas
September 13th, 2007, 08:06 PM
It would be bigger to the knowledgable fans. Unfortunately, that leaves out most people. ;) Either way, I'm rooting for the Paladins in this one.
sykes is spot-on. It would be bigger to anyone who understands that "big ≠ more press." I don't think it would get as much attention as the ASU-Michigan outcome, simply because it's only been two weeks, and it's unlikely they'd redo a sports media sensation like that.

Bigger, yes. More novelty, as a result of being a "first," no.

There's only one way to find out, though so...

Go Paladins*

*HiHiYikas' support of Furman football redeemable 9/15/2007, between 12:30 and 5:00 pm ET ONLY. Non-transferrable. Void where prohibited.

james_lawfirm
September 13th, 2007, 08:09 PM
Was there a point you were trying to make?:D

Translation: Danged if I know what it was, but Citdog did not like it.

CID1990
September 13th, 2007, 08:36 PM

I'm not The Citadel. I am a FCS fan who watched Furman play PC and I'm just calling it like I saw it. After all, this thread isn't about The Citadel. It is about the impact of a Furman victory over Clempson, and based on what I saw in the PC game, the point of this thread may well be moot.

And by the way, it's THE Citadel.

Uncle Buck
September 14th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I'll definitely be pulling for Furman as well, a good bunch of people and fellow FCS

OL FU
September 14th, 2007, 07:04 AM
I'm not The Citadel. I am a FCS fan who watched Furman play PC and I'm just calling it like I saw it. After all, this thread isn't about The Citadel. It is about the impact of a Furman victory over Clempson, and based on what I saw in the PC game, the point of this thread may well be moot.

In that case it is not Vermin, Purps, Perps, Purple Pansies, etc.:p

The Citadel my assxcoolx xsmiley_wix

citdog
September 14th, 2007, 07:24 AM
In that case it is not Vermin, Purps, Perps, Purple Pansies, etc.:p

The Citadel my assxcoolx xsmiley_wix

careful Ol FU!

OL FU
September 14th, 2007, 07:28 AM
careful Ol FU!

With all the names I have heard you spout at Furman, it goes double for you:p xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

citdog
September 14th, 2007, 07:31 AM
With all the names I have heard you spout at Furman, it goes double for you:p xeyebrowx xsmiley_wix

but y'all DESERVE it!

OL FU
September 14th, 2007, 07:42 AM
A different angle on the Clemson game

Clemson coach Tommy Bowden joked earlier this week that he’d be closely monitoring assistant coach Billy Napier’s cellphone calls this week, what with Furman -- Napier’s alma mater -- coming to Death Valley for a Saturday game.

Not necessary, says Furman coach Bobby Lamb.

“He’s a loyal son-of-a-gun,” Lamb said. “I’ve tried, and I can’t get nothing out of him.”

Napier may be tight-lipped when it comes to Clemson’s game plans, but that

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070914/SPORTS0101/70914006/1002/SPORTS

Also a good time to highlight standard southern english with the use of a wonderful double negativexthumbsupx

AppGirl
September 14th, 2007, 09:47 AM

I've seen you rant before about folks not putting "The" in front of Citadel. What's the link for your school's website? How about the official athletic site? Who orders your uniforms? I couldn't get the pic to copy, but on the front, they say "Citadel" WITHOUT "the".
Grow up and get over thisxrotatehx .

OL FU
September 14th, 2007, 09:51 AM
http://pao.citadel.edu/files/Image/sy04-05/homepage/2004CitadelMagazineCover.jpg
Oh my god is that a woman in the frontxlolx
And there is citdog filling up his bowlxnodx

citdog
September 14th, 2007, 09:52 AM
I've seen you rant before about folks not putting "The" in front of Citadel. What's the link for your school's website? How about the official athletic site? Who orders your uniforms? I couldn't get the pic to copy, but on the front, they say "Citadel" WITHOUT "the".
Grow up and get over thisxrotatehx .

the name of my college is, once and for all, The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina.

go bake me some cookies appgirl

citdog
September 14th, 2007, 09:53 AM
http://pao.citadel.edu/files/Image/sy04-05/homepage/2004CitadelMagazineCover.jpg
Oh my god is that a woman in the frontxlolx
And there is citdog filling up his bowlxnodx

i was having a good day and now THIS! Damn your black heart Ol FU!

AppGirl
September 14th, 2007, 10:33 AM
the name of my college is, once and for all, The Citadel, the Military College of South Carolina.

go bake me some cookies appgirl

First let me go get some more Arsenic!
See you in Charleston when Appalachian State University gets the W over Citadel (as per your jerseys.)

lizrdgizrd
September 14th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Boy, I really hope Furman can beat the living daylights outta Clemson. xlolx
I doubt Furman could "beat the living daylights" out of Clemson, but they might be able to eke out a win. Clemson looked pretty rough in the second half of that FSU game. xeyebrowx

AppGirl
September 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM
By the way, GO PALADINS! I'll be rootin' for you Saturday.

lizrdgizrd
September 14th, 2007, 10:39 AM
I find myself forced to remain neutral in this game. As a former Clemson student I find it difficult to root against the Tigers. As an App fan, I find it difficult not to root for my fellow SoCon member. xconfusedx

How about a clean, entertaining game with no injuries for either team. Go football! xhurrayx

citdog
September 14th, 2007, 10:42 AM
First let me go get some more Arsenic!
See you in Charleston when Appalachian State University gets the W over Citadel (as per your jerseys.)

that's just extra flavor for that superior breed of man who is a graduate of The Citadel.

at General Hagood's House, on homecoming, with honor we will prevail!

MarkCCU
September 14th, 2007, 10:48 AM
Yes, it'll be a bigger upset than the AppState game. With the way Clemson's players have been called out in recent weeks by Bowden, I wouldn't be surprised that the team morale is low and that they just don't give a ****. And if you really want to piss of the coach(and this might be the year we see TB pack his bags) lose to an FCS school.

Clemson will win this game.

ngineer
September 14th, 2007, 12:40 PM

That's the genuine 'article'...;)

OL FU
September 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
I find myself forced to remain neutral in this game. As a former Clemson student I find it difficult to root against the Tigers. As an App fan, I find it difficult not to root for my fellow SoCon member. xconfusedx

How about a clean, entertaining game with no injuries for either team. Go football! xhurrayx

xmadx I knew there was something wrong with youxlolx

And I guess we now know why you like Anderson so much

OL FU
September 14th, 2007, 12:56 PM
Yes, it'll be a bigger upset than the AppState game. With the way Clemson's players have been called out in recent weeks by Bowden, I wouldn't be surprised that the team morale is low and that they just don't give a ****. And if you really want to piss of the coach(and this might be the year we see TB pack his bags) lose to an FCS school.

Clemson will win this game.

Really going out on a limb there Markxsmiley_wix

lizrdgizrd
September 14th, 2007, 02:22 PM
xmadx I knew there was something wrong with youxlolx

And I guess we now know why you like Anderson so much
At least I got my degree from App. xlolx

OL FU
September 14th, 2007, 02:29 PM
At least I got my degree from App. xlolx

That would make you a former almost Tiger which isn't really that badxsmiley_wix