PDA

View Full Version : CAA predictions, 9/15

bandl
September 12th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Towson @ Massachusetts – Umass has uncharacteristically been giving up some big points this season. Schaefer will throw several TD’s in a fairly high scoring affair, but UMass will prevail.

Northwestern St. @ Northeastern – Northeastern didn’t prove last week that they are an improved team over last season, like some of us thought they were. Northwestern State is coming off a close win over Central Arkansas. They will use that momentum, combined with NU’s hangover from last week, to eke out a win in the end.

Rhode Island @ Delaware – Rhode Island was tough through OT against Army last weekend, while UD ate their cupcake. This might be UD’s first real competition. While RI will hang for a little bit, and UD will not be able to put up the stats of the past two weeks, UD will win decisively.

New Hampshire @ Marshall - My upset pick of the week. UNH is coming off a loss to ranked JMU and badly needs this win, even though it’s only their second game. Marshall is limping a bit after last week. UNH will prevail in the fourth quarter with some gritty run and throw by Santos.

VMI @ James Madison – My gimme of the week. Not much needs to be said about this one. JMU comes off a great win, VMI barely even showed up last week. JMU in a laugher.

Hofstra @ Albany – After beating Furman last week, Hofstra is out to prove they belong at the top of the CAA (at least by OOC standards) by taking care of Albany from beginning to end.

Maine @ Villanova – Toughest game to pick, IMO. Villanova beat a good Lehigh squad, while Maine suffered at the hands of a FBS squad. The verdict is still out concerning these two teams. Maine brings out that stellar defense, which in the past seemed to run away at the most inopportune moments, and holds out long enough for a close win.

Liberty @ William & Mary – W&M and Liberty are both coming of scrimmages last week, but W&M is quick to show Liberty their place in the pecking order of VA. W&M wins easily.

Richmond @ Bye - Richmond has the week off, and barely pull this one out with few injuries.

th0m
September 12th, 2007, 12:20 PM
UMass - UMass' defense hasn't shown their while with other teams scoring alot on them, but by now they will probably realize they can't scrape by anymore now that CAA play has begun for them
Northwestern St. - based on the result of the Richmond game, I'd take the team other than NU in a hearbeat, but scores vs. NU are often not very indicative, think about us stomping them before they beat UNH last year? Ofcourse, that was after a horrendous road-stretch. We'll see, I have faith in Northeastern, but until they prove it on the field, I'll take Northwestern State.
Delaware - May be a good test for the defense of the Hens, but offensively, they should roll
Marshall - Could be an upset, and I have no idea what kind of team Marshall is fielding at the moment, but I just don't think they'll pull it off. Then again UNH is no stranger to FBS upsets and I really WANT them to pull it off.
JMU - No need to specify I think. No disrespect to VMI.
Hofstra - Showed their while against an unknown Furman squad last week, but Albany's really not a pushover.
Villanova - Your guess is as good as mine. Villanova beat a Lehigh squad that I have no idea of how good they could be, but it seems they're improved from last year. Maine will probably be tough again on defense, I still like 'nova. I have no idea how hot it gets at 'nova, could be a factor much like it was for UNH.
W&M - Liberty's coming a long way I think and may some day be up there again, but this is not the year. They gave W&M quite a scare last year though, but I think the Tribe is an improved squad this year, but so is Liberty. Could be close again.
Bye - Richmond sucks :D

WrenFGun
September 12th, 2007, 02:03 PM
Umass over Towson. I haven't been particularly impressed with Towson's efforts to this point.
Northeastern over Northwestern State. I think Northeastern is better than they've shown.
Delaware over Rhode Island. Delaware is serious about this season, and I think Rhody gets destroyed.
UNH over Marshall. I'm a homer, but this is pretty close to a must-win. Marshall is, hopefully, assuming they have this one. Besides, I'm going.
JMU, in a romp, over VMI.
Albany over Hofstra. It's letdown time for Hofstra. I like Albany here in an upset.
Villanova over Maine. I'll go with the home team in a game that should be quite close.
William and Mary over Liberty. Should be a good game, I'll go with the CAA team.

GannonFan
September 12th, 2007, 02:13 PM
My picks:

UMass 42 Towson 10 - I think UMass has just been sleepwalking through games and they're still winning convincingly - and now that a conference game is on the slate, I think they pick it up. I know that Towson fans feel I've been picking on Towson, but as per prediction they did struggle against CCSU as well as Morgan St and neither of those teams are terribly good. Towson's run defense is struggling and the offense isn't clicking and I don't see any reason why Towson's recent history of coming up well short in really big games is about to change in Amherst.

Northeastern 24 Northwestern St 20 - I don't like Southland teams playing outside of their region - just haven't seen much success out of that conference since the good McNeese St teams 4-5 years ago. NW St is good, but not crazy good. Just pulled past a Central Arkansas team that is not that good this year. I think NE recovers from the debacle against Richmond and pulls this one out for the conference.

Delaware 42 Rhode Island 10 - URI can't throw the ball enough to scare UD's defense, which is actually quite good against the run. And UD's offense couldn't be any hotter right now and doesn't expect to see things change against URI. Cuff is unstoppable, Flacco is throwing around an 80% completion rate, and things are looking good in Newark. Expect another sellout and another win with the big test against Towson coming next week for the Hens.

Marshall 42 New Hampshire 24 - Marshall looked pretty good on TV last week against a West Virginia team that, no offense to Santos, has a lot more explosive offense than UNH does. Granted, playing a road conference game to start the season is no picnic, but UNH looked plodding at times on offense and still seems to have the same holes on defense that have doomed them recently. Marshall's been good lately playing teams from its former classification and I see UNH starting off the year 0-2 and panic starting to surface in Durham.

James Madison 42 VMI 7 - Won't be able to tell anything from this game as VMI is awful. The only difference between a bye week and VMI is that you get a W with VMI.

Hofstra 24 Albany 7 - Hofstra opened up the season with a huge OOC win over Furman last week. Now the tough part is not getting too heady going into a game with Albany, who is not the team they were last year but not terrible, either. Hofstra does play defense, and plenty of it, and I think that carries the day.

villanova 17 Maine 16 - Should be a real nip and tuck affair on the Main Line as Maine still plays quality defense (UConn game nonwithstanding) and nova may have found an offensive answer in QB Young, who might be shaping up to be the best dual threat QB in the conference. That'll be tested by Maine, but Maine's got little answer on the offensive side of the ball. Games sometimes go funny in the eerie silence of villanova stadium, but I think the hosts prevail here.

William and Mary 56 Liberty 14 - I think W&M's offense is for real and I don't see why they let up here with Liberty coming to town. Phillips appears to have found a groove and I think he continues it in a blowout win - besides, as long as it's non-conference, W&M rules the night at home!

PantherRob82
September 12th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Will be interesting to see how many upsets come up. UNH seems like a possibility. Liberty would get a lot more respect with a win at W&M.

Ivytalk
September 12th, 2007, 02:27 PM
UMass
NW State
Delaware
Marshall
JMU
Hofstra
Maine
William & Mary

89Hen
September 12th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Don't know why I bother with scores, I was only close on a couple last week....

UMass 42 - Towson 31
NWSt 24 - Northeastern 17
Delaware 38 - URI 7
Marshall 47 - UNH 45
JMU 52 - VMI 10
Hofstra 31 - Albany 17
Villanova 28 - Maine 20
W&M 41 - Liberty 28

GannonFan
September 12th, 2007, 03:08 PM
Will be interesting to see how many upsets come up. UNH seems like a possibility. Liberty would get a lot more respect with a win at W&M.

Not sure why people are that upbeat on Liberty yet - they've played two DII teams, run of the mill DII teams at that, and have just looked okay. Hard to get respect out of that.

OL FU
September 12th, 2007, 03:10 PM
I am rooting hard for Hofstra to win the CAAxthumbsupx

89Hen
September 12th, 2007, 03:12 PM
You want another crack at them? xconfusedx :p

OL FU
September 12th, 2007, 03:14 PM
You want another crack at them? xconfusedx :p

Absolutelyxthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

It would also improve my attitude greatly:o

TigerFan17
September 12th, 2007, 05:30 PM
My picks:

UMass 42 Towson 10 - I think UMass has just been sleepwalking through games and they're still winning convincingly - and now that a conference game is on the slate, I think they pick it up. I know that Towson fans feel I've been picking on Towson, but as per prediction they did struggle against CCSU as well as Morgan St and neither of those teams are terribly good. Towson's run defense is struggling and the offense isn't clicking and I don't see any reason why Towson's recent history of coming up well short in really big games is about to change in Amherst.

Northeastern 24 Northwestern St 20 - I don't like Southland teams playing outside of their region - just haven't seen much success out of that conference since the good McNeese St teams 4-5 years ago. NW St is good, but not crazy good. Just pulled past a Central Arkansas team that is not that good this year. I think NE recovers from the debacle against Richmond and pulls this one out for the conference.

Delaware 42 Rhode Island 10 - URI can't throw the ball enough to scare UD's defense, which is actually quite good against the run. And UD's offense couldn't be any hotter right now and doesn't expect to see things change against URI. Cuff is unstoppable, Flacco is throwing around an 80% completion rate, and things are looking good in Newark. Expect another sellout and another win with the big test against Towson coming next week for the Hens.

Marshall 42 New Hampshire 24 - Marshall looked pretty good on TV last week against a West Virginia team that, no offense to Santos, has a lot more explosive offense than UNH does. Granted, playing a road conference game to start the season is no picnic, but UNH looked plodding at times on offense and still seems to have the same holes on defense that have doomed them recently. Marshall's been good lately playing teams from its former classification and I see UNH starting off the year 0-2 and panic starting to surface in Durham.

James Madison 42 VMI 7 - Won't be able to tell anything from this game as VMI is awful. The only difference between a bye week and VMI is that you get a W with VMI.

Hofstra 24 Albany 7 - Hofstra opened up the season with a huge OOC win over Furman last week. Now the tough part is not getting too heady going into a game with Albany, who is not the team they were last year but not terrible, either. Hofstra does play defense, and plenty of it, and I think that carries the day.

villanova 17 Maine 16 - Should be a real nip and tuck affair on the Main Line as Maine still plays quality defense (UConn game nonwithstanding) and nova may have found an offensive answer in QB Young, who might be shaping up to be the best dual threat QB in the conference. That'll be tested by Maine, but Maine's got little answer on the offensive side of the ball. Games sometimes go funny in the eerie silence of villanova stadium, but I think the hosts prevail here.

William and Mary 56 Liberty 14 - I think W&M's offense is for real and I don't see why they let up here with Liberty coming to town. Phillips appears to have found a groove and I think he continues it in a blowout win - besides, as long as it's non-conference, W&M rules the night at home!

You son of a...

No wait, I agree with all of your picks. :D

Col Hogan
September 12th, 2007, 06:22 PM

UMass 42 - Towson 31
NWSt 24 - Northeastern 17
Delaware 38 - URI 7
Marshall 47 - UNH 45
JMU 52 - VMI 10
Hofstra 31 - Albany 17
Villanova 28 - Maine 20
W&M 41 - Liberty 28

I'm lazy tonight...Hen has the winners correct IMHO, but I think UMass/Towson will be a lower score for both...and the Villanova-Maine game will be lower scoring too...xthumbsupx

rcny46
September 12th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I don't see UNH putting 45 points on the board against Marshall.

Cobblestone
September 13th, 2007, 07:24 AM
Hopefully we get our act together this Saturday at Delaware. I think this article says it best. I'll be optimistic and predict that we stop Mr. Cuff and don't give the ball away in the red zone. xprayx
================================================== ===

It’s high time Rams find a means to the end zone

08:16 AM EDT on Wednesday, September 12, 2007

By MIKE SZOSTAK
Journal Sports Writer

This is going to be a really long football season for the University of Rhode Island unless the offense gets on track and starts scoring, preferably touchdowns.

Defense has been the problem with this program, but second-year defensive coordinator Dick Hopkins has his unit playing better by the quarter. The Rams rank a respectable fifth in the Colonial Athletic Association in total defense (346.5) and third in scoring defense (20.5 points) after two games.

Offense is the worry now. The option-oriented attack championed by head coach Tim Stowers and offensive coordinator Harold Nichols, usually among the most prolific in the league and occasionally the nation since their arrival in 2000, is missing something this season: points.

The 0-2 Rams, ninth in the league in total offense (362.5 yards) are 10th in scoring offense (15.0) and last in red-zone offense. They have moved the ball inside the opponent’s 20-yard line 10 times and have scored three touchdowns and kicked two field goals. They have missed two field goals, lost a fumble, thrown an interception and lost the ball on downs.

“We really are concerned about that,” Stowers said. “That is a major, major concern for us right now. We are able to move the football but not knock it in. So we’ve got to take probably a little different approach on the offensive side of the ball so we can get more points on the board.”

Say again? A little different approach? Something other than fullback Joe Casey up the middle, halfbacks Jimmy Hughes and Tim Allen on toss sweeps or quarterback Derek Cassidy searching for a hole or a perfect between-the-hash spot for a field-goal attempt? Can we expect a pass, perhaps?

“Well, I’d rather keep that a little bit of a secret,” Stowers said with a laugh.

“We’ve got to take a little bit different approach mentally, too. You’ve got to cut down on missed assignments, and you’ve got to cut down on fumbles going inside the red zone. Fumbles can get you beat.”

Only Delaware and William & Mary have had more red-zone opportunities than URI. The Blue Hens, Rhody’s opponents this week, have scored on all 12 of their trips inside the 20. The Tribe have scored on 10 of their 13 chances.

A puzzling factor to URI’s scoring ineptitude is the failure of the veteran offense in short-yardage situations. Rhody has featured a potent rushing game the last seven seasons and still ranks third in the CAA (238.5). But the Rams can’t move the ball when they get close to the goal line. In overtime at Army, they had first and goal at the 4-yard line, failed to score and left Michie Stadium with a 14-7 loss. A veteran line, quarterback and all-conference fullback must do better than that

andy7171
September 13th, 2007, 07:53 AM
UMass 27 - Towson 21 xbawlingx
Northwestern St 18 - Northeastern 13
Delaware 31 - URI 20
UNH 45 - Marshall 42
JMU 49 - VMI 0
Albany 21 - Hofstra 16
Maine 14 - Villanova 10
W&M 45 - Liberty 7

ChickenMan
September 13th, 2007, 07:59 AM
Hopefully we get our act together this Saturday at Delaware. I think this article says it best. I'll be optimistic and predict that we stop Mr. Cuff and don't give the ball away in the red zone. xprayx

To slow down UD.. opponents are going to have to do a lot more than just stop Omar Cuff. The Hen's.. QB Joe Flacco is outstanding.. he's the 'best' pure passer that I have ever seen at UD. Flacco has been under the radar due to Cuff's outstanding start.. but Flacco has been great so far this season.. 36 for 45 for over 500 yrds. Stopping Cuff won't be easy.. but even that should happen.. opponents will still have to deal with Mr Flacco.

appfan2008
September 13th, 2007, 08:05 AM
marshall comes away with the win with unh... i dont think we will see that upset

AZGrizFan
September 13th, 2007, 10:00 AM

Well, like my daddy used to tell me when I was "wishing" for something, "don't hold your hand on your a**, it'll grow there." xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

You can dress up a pile if *****, but it's still a pile of *****. And that's what that loss to Hofstra will ALWAYS be. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

89Hen
September 13th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Hey, it wasn't the first time Furman lost to Hoftsra. xsmiley_wix

OL FU
September 13th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Hey, it wasn't the first time Furman lost to Hoftsra. xsmiley_wix

Nope but at least that was a playoff game, I can handle that one a little better. xnodx Oh yeah, you guys haven't seen one of those in a while so you might have forgotten what it is like:p

AZGrizFan
September 13th, 2007, 10:18 AM
Nope but at least that was a playoff game, I can handle that one a little better. xnodx Oh yeah, you guys haven't seen one of those in a while so you might have forgotten what it is like:p

Touche. Hen? Retort? xeyebrowx xeyebrowx xeyebrowx

WrenFGun
September 13th, 2007, 10:23 AM
IF UNH is going to beat Marshall, which will certainly be quite the test, they're going to need to improve on a number of things. As I mentioned in another post, they really need to work on tackling low instead of trying to hit high. I cannot tell you how many times the Wildcats tried to hit the big, strong Rodney Landers up high, and he just did not go down. I thought they did a reasonable job shutting Holloman down inside, but when Landers got it, they just could not take him down.

UNH also needs to work on playing big. They play a glorified nickel at virtually all times, seeing as either Terrance Klein or Maurice Duper are playing LB, and both are slightly under 200 pounds. It seemed like Landers continually ran to that side and took advantage of that.

UNH also needs to grow up pretty fast. I counted a number of freshman and sophomores getting significant run, including DE Kyle Maroney, S Ryan McGuiness, CB Dino Visso, S Hugo Souza, TE Scott Sicko, WR JT Wright, WR Terrance Fox, WR Chris Chandler, DT Jordan Long, DT TJ Taylor, DE Kevin Peters and DB Terrance Klein. All of these players played significant time, and they are all freshman and sophomores. With the exception of Sicko and Klein (he did have 12 tackles, he was just out of position), I'm not sure I saw much of any of these players to make me feel great.

Obviously, it's a lot to ask of this team that struggled mightily at times, especially on defense, to improve so much against Marshall, but I just have a feeling Santos is not ready to go down 0-2 and see the playoffs slip away. He's going to do anything necessary (even if it means putting up 40 or 50) to win this game, IMO.

OL FU
September 13th, 2007, 10:25 AM

Everyone duck, I see incoming useless statistics on the horizonxsmiley_wix

andy7171
September 13th, 2007, 10:26 AM
IF UNH is going to beat Marshall, which will certainly be quite the test, they're going to need to improve on a number of things. As I mentioned in another post, they really need to work on tackling low instead of trying to hit high. I cannot tell you how many times the Wildcats tried to hit the big, strong Rodney Landers up high, and he just did not go down. I thought they did a reasonable job shutting Holloman down inside, but when Landers got it, they just could not take him down.

UNH also needs to work on playing big. They play a glorified nickel at virtually all times, seeing as either Terrance Klein or Maurice Duper are playing LB, and both are slightly under 200 pounds. It seemed like Landers continually ran to that side and took advantage of that.

UNH also needs to grow up pretty fast. I counted a number of freshman and sophomores getting significant run, including DE Kyle Maroney, S Ryan McGuiness, CB Dino Visso, S Hugo Souza, TE Scott Sicko, WR JT Wright, WR Terrance Fox, WR Chris Chandler, DT Jordan Long, DT TJ Taylor, DE Kevin Peters and DB Terrance Klein. All of these players played significant time, and they are all freshman and sophomores. With the exception of Sicko and Klein (he did have 12 tackles, he was just out of position), I'm not sure I saw much of any of these players to make me feel great.

Obviously, it's a lot to ask of this team that struggled mightily at times, especially on defense, to improve so much against Marshall, but I just have a feeling Santos is not ready to go down 0-2 and see the playoffs slip away. He's going to do anything necessary (even if it means putting up 40 or 50) to win this game, IMO.
I picked UNH to upset mostly because of the emotional let down of Marshall finally playing WVU. They got pretty beat up in the second half. Its going to be hard for them to recover and get up for a FCS team. UNH is capable as any to come in and pull an upset. xpeacex

ChickenMan
September 13th, 2007, 10:37 AM

Missing the playoffs from time to time is a consequence of participating in a top to bottom 'competitive' conference.. something BSC and SoCon fans seldom.. if ever.. have to worry about... :p

OL FU
September 13th, 2007, 10:40 AM
Missing the playoffs from time to time is a consequence of participating in a top to bottom 'competitive' conference.. something BSC and SoCon fans seldom.. if ever.. have to worry about... :p

It is also a consequence of sucking for a couple of yearsxnodx

xsmiley_wix

Glad to see you took the bag off your head

citdog
September 13th, 2007, 10:42 AM

like Del's last trip to Charleston where they got their asses busted?

ChickenMan
September 13th, 2007, 10:43 AM
It is also a consequence of sucking for a couple of yearsxnodx

xsmiley_wix

Hey Hofstra was 2-9 last year and I think they just whipped a '06 SoCon playoff team.... :D xrotatehx :D

ChickenMan
September 13th, 2007, 10:47 AM

Would you like to discuss the results of ALL the Citadel's trips to Newak?????

xasswhipx

lizrdgizrd
September 13th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Apparently our weak conference prepares us sufficiently to win National Championships. xwhistlex

89Hen
September 13th, 2007, 10:50 AM

Nah. OL knows to not really get into a CAA vs. Furman discussion... too many Paladin seasons have ended with a loss to a CAA team to mention. :p

IaaScribe
September 13th, 2007, 10:51 AM
100 percent stone cold lock: William & Mary will not score 45 points against Liberty. Or 35.

89Hen
September 13th, 2007, 10:53 AM
That was a rebuilding year :p Besides, we took out your conference champion that year too. xsmiley_wix xnodx

HensRock
September 13th, 2007, 10:54 AM

24-20 = ass busting?

Not to me. To me an ass busting would be more like 41-7. Sound familiar?

OL FU
September 13th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Hey Hofstra was 2-9 last year and I think they just whipped a '06 SoCon playoff team.... :D xrotatehx :D

Now now let's not forget it is week twoxnodx

ChickenMan
September 13th, 2007, 10:58 AM
24-20 = ass busting?

Not to me. To me an ass busting would be more like 41-7. Sound familiar?

or.. 48-12 and 38-0... :p

WMTribe90
September 13th, 2007, 10:59 AM
Hey, Liberty is a much improved squad. They start a number of quality IA transfers and have the talent to pull the upset. WM is currently down three starters on offense with only a chance one of the three can play Saturday. Anybody picking a blowout in this game didn't see last year's game or closely examine the match-up. LU has a very solid running game with a veteran OL and two quality TBs that compliment each other (speed and power). I see a high scoring game with a slight edge to WM playing at home.

WM 31 LU 27

89Hen
September 13th, 2007, 11:02 AM
WM is currently down three starters on offense with only a chance one of the three can play Saturday.
Who? #4 and your TE were great against the Hens.

ChickenMan
September 13th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Would you like to discuss the results of ALL the Citadel's trips to Newak?????

xasswhipx

I'll tell you anyway... four trips north.. four lopsided ass whippings... combined score...

Delaware 150 The Citadel 26

xeekx

citdog
September 13th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I'll tell you anyway... four trips north.. four lopsided ass whippings... combined score...

Delaware 150 The Citadel 26

xeekx

we usually don't do well in States that were traitors to The Cause!

GannonFan
September 13th, 2007, 11:54 AM

Agreed, both now as well as during the Civil War. 0-1 in PA by my account. xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx xlolx

WMTribe90
September 13th, 2007, 12:03 PM
DJ McAulay (#4) is out for the season after racking up 128 yards receiving in 3.5 quarters against UD. Nicholaus (WR) is still questionable against LU after missing the first two games with a sprained knee. A third starter is also out, but I will sit on that one because I'm not sure its public (or supposed to be) at this time. Could really use Nicholaus if he's ready to go Sat.

VT Wildcat Fan53
September 13th, 2007, 12:27 PM
Everybody has an opinion just like everybody has a ....:) So, here goes, ...

Towson @ Massachusetts – UMASS 42, Towson 21. Minutemen getting warmed up for a great season.

Northwestern St. @ Northeastern – NW St 14, NU 13. Tough loss at home for a gritty bunch who will play hard for 11 games.

Rhode Island @ Delaware – UDel 56, URI 21. Delaware will be in the Top 5 nationally within two or three weeks.

New Hampshire @ Marshall - UNH 52, We are Marshall 49. This is not a must win, but Dartmouth & Richmond in the following 2 wks certainly are. Unlikely upset, perhaps, BUT Don't ever, ever, ever discount the Legend of Santos. At least one more week of magic is about to be unveiled! (I would feel a little better if some magic can be used on Kackert to get him healthy at RB, though. ....)

VMI @ James Madison – JMU 72 (or whatever Coach Matthews allows them to score), VMI 7. JMU is another team destined for the Top 5.

Hofstra @ Albany – Hofstra 14, Albany 10. Hofstra is a prime example of the great depth of talent within the CAA.

Maine @ Villanova – Villanova 14, Maine 13. 'Nova has just enough to score on the stingy Black Bear defense to pull out a win at home.

Liberty @ William & Mary – W&M 45, Liberty 14. Yet another example of the CAA's extremely impressive depth of quality teams.

Richmond @ Bye - Gettin' ready for the Wildcats two weeks hence.

Cobblestone
September 13th, 2007, 12:50 PM

Isn't Appomattox in Virginia? Seems to me you didn't do so well in states that were loyal to "The Cause" either. xnodx

citdog
September 13th, 2007, 12:53 PM
Isn't Appomattox in Virginia? Seems to me you didn't do so well in states that were loyal to "The Cause" either. xnodx

Alas, "due to overwhelming numbers and resources, the Army of Northern Virginia has been forced to yield" :( :( :( :( :( xbawlingx xbawlingx xbawlingx

89Hen
September 13th, 2007, 12:54 PM
DJ McAulay (#4) is out for the season after racking up 128 yards receiving in 3.5 quarters against UD.
xoopsx :( Sorry to hear, he looked awfullyl good against the Hens. xnodx

WMTribe90
September 13th, 2007, 01:24 PM
Sorry to hear, he looked awfullyl good against the Hens.

Yep, that was his breakout game. Only silver lining is that he played as a true freshman, so he will still have two years left assuming he comes back strong from MCL surgery. We should be okay depth wise at WR once we get Nicholaus back.

WMTribe90
September 13th, 2007, 01:36 PM
Towson @ Massachusetts – UMASS 41, Towson 27. Minutemen have been sleep walking to date, but find their rhythm in conference play.

Northwestern St. @ Northeastern – NW St 27, NU 24. Would have taken NU until last week's debacle against the Spiders.

Rhode Island @ Delaware – UDel 31, URI 21. URI has an improved defense, but won't score enough for the upset in Newark.

New Hampshire @ Marshall - Marshall 45 UNH 24. Sorry Wildcats, would love to pict the upset, but I'm not sold on the defense at all and Marshall looked pretty good against WVU.

VMI @ James Madison – JMU 52 VMI 6. Keydets take it on the chin from a state rival two weeks in a row.

Hofstra @ Albany – Hofstra 31, Albany 10. People are confusing last year with this year. Albany is not as good and they're not going to sneak up on anyone this year either. Hofstra is front-runner for CAA dark horse.

Maine @ Villanova – Villanova 20, Maine 10. I was not impressed with Maine's showing against a mediocre UConn. VU has a star in the making at QB and homefiled advantage. Wildcats are runner up for CAA darkhorse.

CAA south is looking scary deep right now.

89Hen
September 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Yep, that was his breakout game. Only silver lining is that he played as a true freshman, so he will still have two years left assuming he comes back strong from MCL surgery.
I don't really remember him going down... was it on that one near interception deep in the Delaware end? That was the opposite corner from our seats and we couldn't see who it was. Has he already received a medical redshirt?

Nebuta
September 13th, 2007, 02:06 PM
Towson @ Massachuseets - I think Hatchell will rally the troops, and UMass defense should bounce back from previous weeks letdowns. Schaefer and company should throw for a number of TDs. I expect game to be close until the end. Giving the advantage to UMass due to Homefield.

Northwestern St @ Northeastern - I like Northeastern to regroup and pick itself off the ground after the Richmond loss. I dont see Northeastern dropping 3 straight. I think Northeastern will come out hungry. I think the Huskies are a better football team.

Rhode Island @ Delaware - With RI ground game and the time of possession in their favor, this should be a low scoring affair. Keeping that UD offense off the field. I see Rhode Island defense "picking their poison". Omar or Flacco? Seeing the film, RI Def decides to throw 8 men in the box for most of the game trying to prevent Omar from having another career night. Omar will be held to under 150 yards and 1 TD, while Flacco picks apart the single coverage. UD defense is still supect but manages to prevent RI offense from getting in the endzone more then Delaware offense.

VMI @ James Madison - JMU eats its cupcake, with a shutout to boot. Barnes and Company will keep VMI from reaching the endzone.
Look for Landers to have a big game, until the 2nd & 3rd string come in.

Hofstra @ Albany - After beating Furman, Hofstra defense may be one of the best in CAA. I think Huggins will get another 2 TDs and over 100yards rushing against the Albany defense. While Savage will have over 200 yards passing.

Maine @ Villanova - Toss up game. Although Villanova did beat pretty solid Lehigh squad, I just don't know if I am conveince to say they would beat a Maine team that got shutout by UConn and Nova is no UConn. This game will be very close. I like Villanova cause they are at home.

Liberty @ W & M - I really like W&M offense unfornately they have a defense that plays the game too. Which is very suspect. Phillips will put up a lot of points in this game, just not 63 with they did against VMI. I like W & M to win this game by 2 TDs.

Tribe4SF
September 13th, 2007, 02:47 PM
100 percent stone cold lock: William & Mary will not score 45 points against Liberty. Or 35.

Uh oh...now you've gone and done it.:D

TheValleyRaider
September 13th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Like I, or anyone else, really has a clue... xrotatehx

Towson at Massachusetts Massachusetts Minutemen at home get the win, unless of course Towson demonstrates some ability to stop the run

Northwestern State at Northeastern Northwestern State The greatest opening schedule ever finishes up with the Huskies falling to both schools in the state of Northwestern.

Rhode Island at Delaware Delaware The Rams did well to play hard against both Fordham and Army, but the Hens are better than both of them

New Hampshire at Marshall Marshall It would be easy to say Marshall will overlook UNH after just playing the big game in their season vs. WV, but I'll take the Herd to avoid the trap late

VMI at James Madison James Madison Keydets have no one like Santos, and even he couldn't win at JMU last week

Hofstra at Albany Albany Yeah, taking the upset. From the sound of it, this is shaping up to be a physical game that will give bruises to anyone watching. Danes squeeze out the win at home

Maine at Villanova Villanova Maine seems to have some O issues to work out, while Nova should be able to squeeze out a victory on the Main Line

Liberty at William & Mary William & Mary Don't know how many points the Tribe offense will put up, but willing to bet that it'll be more than Liberty.

WMTribe90
September 13th, 2007, 04:08 PM
I don't really remember him going down... was it on that one near interception deep in the Delaware end? That was the opposite corner from our seats and we couldn't see who it was. Has he already received a medical redshirt?

I didn't see it either but he was apparently blocking downfield when the pile landed on his legs from behind. I doubt he has already received the medical RS, but given it was the first game and the fact the injury is season ending I have to believe it will be granted (again, he played as a true freshman and did not redshirt).

SuperJon
September 13th, 2007, 05:54 PM
He'll get the medical redshirt. I think you get up to three or four games for it.

blukeys
September 13th, 2007, 05:56 PM
I didn't see it either but he was apparently blocking downfield when the pile landed on his legs from behind. I doubt he has already received the medical RS, but given it was the first game and the fact the injury is season ending I have to believe it will be granted (again, he played as a true freshman and did not redshirt).

While I don't look forward to seeing him playing another year against the Hens, here's hoping he gets another year. He's a great receiver.

RadMann
September 13th, 2007, 07:55 PM
Saturday, September 15
*Maine at Villanova - Nova by 1
*Towson at Massachusetts - UMass by 13
*Rhode Island at Delaware - UD by 6
Hofstra at Albany - Albany by 1
New Hampshire at Marshall - Marshall by 7
Northwestern State at Northeastern - Northeastern by 3
VMI at James Madison - JMU by 17
Liberty at William & Mary - W&M by 13

IaaScribe
September 14th, 2007, 09:59 AM
Uh oh...now you've gone and done it.:D

Well, here's why I say that. Wake Forest scored more points than anyone against Liberty last year, the Deacs only scored 34. Liberty's only gotten stronger with the addition of Kent Hicks and Vince Redd. Liberty's defense is very strong, with playmakers at every position. The only weakness is in the down linemen, and they've held their own so far. And the down linemen don't have to be dominant in the 3-4. The linebackers do, and Liberty is strong and deep at that position.

The secondary is also deep and tested. W&M's biggest weakness is youth on the interior of the offensive line, and I see the Tribe having a lot of trouble opening inside running lanes against Liberty's linebackers. The tackles are veterans, so they should be able to keep Phillips' jersey somewhat clean.

I'm not saying W&M won't win the game. I haven't made up my mind yet as far as a prediction. But the Tribe isn't scoring 35 points against that defense.

JMU_Fan_2007
September 14th, 2007, 04:03 PM
I know this isn't a prediction, but I am starting to really look forward to the JMU- Delaware game. I think this could be for the CAA championship, or at least co-championship (Neither JMU or Delaware plays UMASS)

Tribe4SF
September 14th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Well, here's why I say that. Wake Forest scored more points than anyone against Liberty last year, the Deacs only scored 34. Liberty's only gotten stronger with the addition of Kent Hicks and Vince Redd. Liberty's defense is very strong, with playmakers at every position. The only weakness is in the down linemen, and they've held their own so far. And the down linemen don't have to be dominant in the 3-4. The linebackers do, and Liberty is strong and deep at that position.

The secondary is also deep and tested. W&M's biggest weakness is youth on the interior of the offensive line, and I see the Tribe having a lot of trouble opening inside running lanes against Liberty's linebackers. The tackles are veterans, so they should be able to keep Phillips' jersey somewhat clean.

I'm not saying W&M won't win the game. I haven't made up my mind yet as far as a prediction. But the Tribe isn't scoring 35 points against that defense.

I actually agree with you, Chris. If we had McAuley and Marriner available I might disagree, but we don't.

BDKJMU
September 14th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Saturday, September 15
*Maine at Villanova - Nova by 1
*Towson at Massachusetts - UMass by 13
*Rhode Island at Delaware - UD by 6
Hofstra at Albany - Albany by 1
New Hampshire at Marshall - Marshall by 7
Northwestern State at Northeastern - Northeastern by 3
VMI at James Madison - JMU by 17
Liberty at William & Mary - W&M by 13

JMU by only 17? Even though JMU will be missing Holloman (will be a running back by committee vs VMI:
"Matthews said the coaches would decide after Thursday’s practice how to split the playing time at tailback this week between Bolton, Jamal Sullivan, Griff Yancey and Reggie Hicks."
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=12150&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

plus likely thier starting center and best de-line man (Baranowsky, DT, their 290 lb run stuffer), both due to apparently not serious ankle injuries (they both came out of the UNH game then returned, if they don't play it may be precautionary),
"Madison coach Mickey Matthews said senior defensive tackle John Baranowsky and junior center Scott Lemn, who both suffered ankle injuries in Saturday’s win over New Hampshire, are doubtful for this weekend’s game."
"Baranowsky’s absence would force defensive end J.D. Skolnitsky to slide inside and either Shelton Johnson or Quintrel Thomas to move into the lineup at end."
which means JMU would essentially be replacing 290 with 215 or 240, a little quicker, but smaller, and wouldn't have the run stopping ability of Baranowsky against VMI's "flexbone" triple option (same offense as URI, but with lesser personnel)
http://www.dnronline.com/search_details.php?AID=12195&CHID=3&key=JMU%20football&title=&author=&channelid=

I can't see JMU, even if they likely bring their B game, winning by less than 28. Me, I say 52-14.

BDKJMU
September 14th, 2007, 07:10 PM
UMass 38 - Towson 31
NWSt 31 - Northeastern 24
Delaware 35 - URI 17
Marshall 38 - UNH 31
JMU 52 - VMI 14
Hofstra 27 - Albany 17
Villanova 24 - Maine 20
W&M 31 - Liberty 28

JMUFortier
September 14th, 2007, 07:49 PM
UMass 24 Towson 17 - Towson is feisty and will make a game of it. UMass though is a top team and will have just enough to beat the Tigers.

Northeastern 21 Northwestern State 17 - Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. I may be a fool but I still am a bit high on them returning a lot of starters from a team that had a good run at the end of last year.

Delaware 28 URI 3 - This week's easy pick. Delaware is considered a top team and URI is not. I doubt this will be close.

Marshall 35 UNH 28 - I just don't see Marshall going 0-3 to start the year. On the other hand, I would not see UNH going 0-2 this season but they will. Two tough teams to start the year for them but they will bounce back. The losses will be seen as quality losses though which makes me optimistic about the playoffs. 0-2 is a tough hole.

JMU 70 VMI 0 - JMU wins the battle for the Shenandoah Valley. As a side note, somebody should make a trophy for this rivalry, get the squads fired up to play this game, and make this a true local rivalry game.

Hofstra 35 Albany 24 - Albany is one of those programs to watch for but there is not enough to go after and beat a rising Hofstra squad.

Villanova 17 Maine 24 - Maine lacks a good quarterback but has a great defense. 'Nova I know little about. I am going on blind faith that defense wins something and that something is this game.

W&M 35 Liberty 34 - This game is a lot closer than I have seen predicted on the boards, not because W&M is bad, but because Liberty is getting good. They have been quietly building a team that is now a favorite in the Big South. Will they make the playoffs? Doubtful. Something just tells me though that 1-BS wannabes (as Rev. Falwell stated before he passed) Liberty will make a game of this. But W&M is not to be underestimated and will win this game.

rhrosario
September 14th, 2007, 08:18 PM
Sean Schaefer is the wild card. You never know when you have a top quarterback if you will loose. If Towson can run with Nick Williams I think they will pose a proglem for U MaSs.

rhrosario
September 14th, 2007, 08:23 PM
Sean Schaefer is the wild card. You never know when you have a top quarterback if you will loose. If Towson can run with Nick Williams I think they will pose a problem for U MaSS.......

hodfoiwsue

YoUDeeMan
September 14th, 2007, 09:54 PM
JMU by only 17?

I think he was writing phonetically and accidentally added an "n" sound. xlolx

"Seventeeeeee" versus "seventeen". xnodx

TigerFan17
September 15th, 2007, 09:15 AM
Who writes with a phone? Thats just downright stupid.

xrotatehx

danefan
September 15th, 2007, 09:23 AM
Article on Coach Ford's impact on the Hofstra coaching staff:
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=622163&category=SPORTS&newsdate=9/15/2007

Seawolf97
September 15th, 2007, 09:34 AM
Article on Coach Ford's impact on the Hofstra coaching staff:
http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=622163&category=SPORTS&newsdate=9/15/2007

Good article-its funny the coach of Stonybrook was a Great Dane also. He played fullback back in the 1980's. Two coaches with rising programs owe a little something to Coach Ford and the Albany program. Says alot !xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

redspider
September 15th, 2007, 10:46 AM
So I did pretty good last week only missing two games I believe the Furman thing caught me off guard. Lets see how I do this week.

UMass vs Towson - UMASS is at home against Townson and it is UMASS nuff said

Northeasternvs Northwestern St - Wow after the clobbering we gave them last week I really want to pick Northwestern St. here but NE is at home vs a team I had not heard of and had no clue which conference it was in until I looked it up. So I will have to go with NE hair this is the pick I have the least confidence in however.

Delaware vs Rhode Island - I think this may be the second coming of the Omar Cuff show Deleware tries to score less than 40 on URI to spare the embarassment

Marshall vs New Hampshire - I was not impressed with New Hampshire last week. If they had played better last week I would have picked the upset here but I cant I think Marshall will outlast them thought you never know this could be another FBS upset.

James Madison vs VMI -Come on it is VMI

Hofstra at Albany - If Hofstra can handle Furman they can handle Albany.

Villanova vs Maine - Villanova by a hair

William & Mary vs Liberty - Wow this is one that W&M can actually win

danefan
September 15th, 2007, 02:04 PM
Good article-its funny the coach of Stonybrook was a Great Dane also. He played fullback back in the 1980's. Two coaches with rising programs owe a little something to Coach Ford and the Albany program. Says alot !xthumbsupx xthumbsupx

There's actually a lot of guys that owe a lot to Coach Ford. He has mentored so many coaches. I wish somebody would make a list. I just don't have the time to do it.

89Hen
September 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Delaware 38 - URI 7
Currently 38-2 with 6 minutes to go. xeyebrowx :D

Of course I botched the NU game and probably the UNH game. :p

YoUDeeMan
September 15th, 2007, 11:48 PM

Well, you were right and wrong. W&M scored "only" 34 in regulation, but Liberty could not stop them from scoring TDs in both OTs.

Either way, W&M racked up a LOT of offense against Liberty's "very strong" D. As some Delaware fans said, the W&M QB played "out of his mind" against Delaware. Outsiders thought it was another example of last year's bad UD defense.

W&M has a very potent offense. xnodx xnodx

Nebuta
September 16th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Towson @ Massachuseets - I think Hatchell will rally the troops, and UMass defense should bounce back from previous weeks letdowns. Schaefer and company should throw for a number of TDs. I expect game to be close until the end. Giving the advantage to UMass due to Homefield.

Northwestern St @ Northeastern - I like Northeastern to regroup and pick itself off the ground after the Richmond loss. I dont see Northeastern dropping 3 straight. I think Northeastern will come out hungry. I think the Huskies are a better football team.

Rhode Island @ Delaware - With RI ground game and the time of possession in their favor, this should be a low scoring affair. Keeping that UD offense off the field. I see Rhode Island defense "picking their poison". Omar or Flacco? Seeing the film, RI Def decides to throw 8 men in the box for most of the game trying to prevent Omar from having another career night. Omar will be held to under 150 yards and 1 TD, while Flacco picks apart the single coverage. UD defense is still supect but manages to prevent RI offense from getting in the endzone more then Delaware offense.

VMI @ James Madison - JMU eats its cupcake, with a shutout to boot. Barnes and Company will keep VMI from reaching the endzone.
Look for Landers to have a big game, until the 2nd & 3rd string come in.

Hofstra @ Albany - After beating Furman, Hofstra defense may be one of the best in CAA. I think Huggins will get another 2 TDs and over 100yards rushing against the Albany defense. While Savage will have over 200 yards passing.

Maine @ Villanova - Toss up game. Although Villanova did beat pretty solid Lehigh squad, I just don't know if I am conveince to say they would beat a Maine team that got shutout by UConn and Nova is no UConn. This game will be very close. I like Villanova cause they are at home.

Liberty @ W & M - I really like W&M offense unfornately they have a defense that plays the game too. Which is very suspect. Phillips will put up a lot of points in this game, just not 63 with they did against VMI. I like W & M to win this game by 2 TDs.

7 for 7. Woohoo. I would like to apologize to UNH. I just notice I didnt pick their game. Totally screwed the pooch.

redspider
September 16th, 2007, 10:21 AM
Re: CAA predictions, 9/15 - Yesterday, 11:46 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I did pretty good last week only missing two games I believe the Furman thing caught me off guard. Lets see how I do this week.

UMass vs Towson - UMASS is at home against Townson and it is UMASS nuff said

Northeasternvs Northwestern St - Wow after the clobbering we gave them last week I really want to pick Northwestern St. here but NE is at home vs a team I had not heard of and had no clue which conference it was in until I looked it up. So I will have to go with NE hair this is the pick I have the least confidence in however.

Delaware vs Rhode Island - I think this may be the second coming of the Omar Cuff show Deleware tries to score less than 40 on URI to spare the embarassment

Marshall vs New Hampshire - I was not impressed with New Hampshire last week. If they had played better last week I would have picked the upset here but I cant I think Marshall will outlast them thought you never know this could be another FBS upset.

James Madison vs VMI -Come on it is VMI

Hofstra at Albany - If Hofstra can handle Furman they can handle Albany.

Villanova vs Maine - Villanova by a hair

William & Mary vs Liberty - Wow this is one that W&M can actually win
I got seven out of 8 right sorry NH I should have believed.